We're here to make an impact.

Jakt brings innovation to companies who are changing the world. We start from scratch and think like founders, shaping thoughtful experiences that enhance human effort. From startups to enterprises and some of the world's most popular brands, we're a full-stack product studio creating bespoke digital products to make an impact.

Looking to make an impact? Let's chat.

New York, NY
  • JAKT
    60 Broad Street (Financial District)
    New York, NY 10004
    917.410.1135

Mapfit

We partnered with Mapfit to help build a mapping stack for the modern world.

Learn more: https://www.geofi.io/products

Clark

We partnered with Clark to develop an iOS app to help change the future of private education.

Learn more: http://thoughts.byjakt.com/education-app-development/

SquadUp Web + iPhone App

iOS Mobile App Dev for Virtual Assistant Tool

"JAKT did a phenomenal job collaborating with us."

Nov. 2016 - Mar. 2017

JAKT collaborated on a beta version of an existing iOS app and helped build the onboarding process. They used JavaScript and ReactNative technologies, working with in-house staff in two-week sprints.

New York City, New York
Co-Founder, Virtual Assistant Platform

JAKT’s involvement facilitated the push of 3 iterations throughout the engagement, helped link 100% of user data to the in-house backend manager, and produced the app in record time. The team integrated well and provided comprehensive documents outlining current project status and timelines.

I'm the founder and CEO of a virtual assistant company for tutors.

What challenge were you trying to address with JAKT?

We were looking to build the beta version of our iOS app. We built the design in-house with our own product design team. We needed a team to do the actual iOS development work.

They worked closely with our head of product and our product designer to make sure they understood the product that we had designed through our user research and early alpha version testing. They followed two-week development sprints with daily communication between our team and theirs. We discussed how things were going, what things were looking like, and user testing during our daily calls.

We collaborated on building the onboarding process of the app. They were instrumental in iterating real time onboarding process that worked for our users. The app is for iOS, and we used JavaScript and ReactNative to build the app.

How did you come to work with JAKT?

I met Mike [Michael Saloio, COO] at a dinner party. I liked his development process and the way that he works. I had looked at many development shops, but I didn’t like that they wanted to take an authoritative role over product design as well. Since we were passionate about the design we have already built in-house, we wanted to work with a team that was going to collaborate with us on those existing designs. JAKT did a phenomenal job collaborating with us.

We started working together in November 2016. We launched our iOS app in March 2017 and JAKT did QA on the app for two additional weeks.

JAKT built the app and pushed live, but we did design so I can’t attribute the usage data to them. We were able to push live three iterations of the app throughout our engagement. We were able to link 100% of user data into our own in-house backend manager as a result of working with them. We were also able to produce our app in record time; JAKT moved very quickly.

How did JAKT perform from a project management standpoint?

90% of the time, they kept the deadlines that we mutually agreed upon. We had phenomenal planning meetings and they put together comprehensive documents outlining the current status and timelines.

We had some difficulty with real time communication. When we had bugs that were directly attributed to their work, we weren’t always able to get in touch with them because they would be on billable hours with a different client. As a result, we did not receive real-time fixes or responses. The problem persisted, but we eventually intervened and explained the type of relationship we needed. About halfway through our engagement, it got better, but it was never perfect.

They integrated well with our internal team, which is why we hired them over their competitors. Our engineers and their engineers love working together; they felt like an extension of our internal team.

They could improve their real-time communication. By nature, it is hard being an external contractor, but that was an area for improvement.

There were a couple of times that we missed a deadline and didn't get any upfront notice, but that was rare.
    JAKT is significantly cheaper than their competitors.
    We ran into bugs that we weren't able to fix in real time.

Web Design, Dev, & Strategy for Location Mapping Platform

“JAKT is a brand-new team with outstanding design skills."

Nov. 2016 - Ongoing

JAKT began work on a small web design and development project, the scope of which grew significantly over the course of the engagement. They designed the logo, branding, and customized development services.

Washington, DC
Phillip Zakas
Co-Founder, MapFit

The quality of JAKT’s work reflects the huge growth in the scope of work. The team fully understood the product and completed all requested work within the allocated timeframe and budget. They have excellent communication skills, professionalism, and talent for branding.

I am the co-founder of MapFit, a mapping provider. We have applications that provide routing and guidance to consumers.

What challenge were you trying to address with JAKT?

We needed help establishing our branding and product look and feel. We had worked with other agencies in the past to do similar work, but not for MapFit.

They provide logo and branding services along with customized development services. They developed a brand-new website and helped us know what the user interaction would look like on mobile and the web. They used JavaScript and a variety of server technologies as well.

They also provide product design and development services. They designed the look and feel of the website, the branding, including color schemes, and user experience. They played a critical role in defining what that will be.

We worked with a product manager, a designer, and a couple of developers. We interacted with four people not including the founders of the company, but there were also people working on the project that we didn’t talk to.

How did you come to work with JAKT?

We searched online and found something they put on Drupal that was interesting. Based on that, we contacted them to see if they could help us.

We started working with them in November 2016, and our relationship is ongoing. We just started a new project this week.

They completed everything we requested and the quality of the work was outstanding. Everyone is extremely professional. We spent more with them than we would’ve with anyone else simply because they were very easy to work with.

We started out with a project that was a tenth of the size of our eventual spend with them because we thought we would just have them develop the website. The fact that we spent 10 times more than we had originally budgeted is a testament to their quality of work.

How did JAKT perform from a project management standpoint?

We had weekly meetings. We used Basecamp for some things and also a tool called Zeplin. Our developers were able to retrieve image assets directly from the JAKT team through those tools. Through Basecamp, we were able to keep track of how the project was moving along. We used Slack for quick questions. During different parts of the project, the collaboration was in real time. JAKT were always on time and on budget.

Over the past 10 years, I’ve easily spent over a million dollars in services hiring design firms to work on various projects. JAKT is a brand-new team with outstanding design skills. They have a really strong understanding of user experience and how consumers will approach products. That was crucial for us. Design is one of those intangible things that you know is good when you see it. JAKT’s designs are excellent — they have talent.

They also really understand the product. We’ve worked with design firms who can put together a logo, but JAKT understands how consumers interact with a brand and how that brand translates into how the project interacts. They have an incredible ability to translate a feeling from the design and try to fit that into actionable website designs and flow for the product.

No. They’re a brand-new company, and I think they’ll be huge. I feel like we got involved with them at the right time. I think a year from now they’re going to be charging much more for their services. We’re really happy with them.

They were able to adapt to our changing requirements, sometimes at the drop of a hat.
    The coding is good and their design services are excellent.
    I recommend them all the time to board members and other companies.

iOS Development for Performing Arts Online Resource

"If we needed to sit down with their team, they [JAKT] were very quick to accommodate us. Communication was excellent."

Nov. 2014 - Ongoing

Recognizing their need for outsourced development resources, the client hired JAKT to implement the mobile app design that was made internally for the iOS platform.

CEO, Performing Arts Online Resource

JAKT performed well for the client by creating the design that was requested. The client notes that the agency could have been quicker with delivery, but also reports that JAKT has improved with time and praises their reactivity.

We develop mobile apps and websites which help guide patrons of the performing arts in finding shows they would like to go see.

I am the Chief Executive Officer of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with JAKT?

We needed resources for developing our application.

JAKT implemented the mobile app design made by our company. The app was developed exclusively for iOS.

How did you come to work with JAKT?

They came as a reference through the design company that I'd hired.

The total cost of the project was $150,000.

I started working with them two years ago. Our work is almost complete.

The feedback has mostly come from our internal team, focusing on the design, rather than the implementation. There has been very little public feedback so far. With regards to our internal team, we thought that they delivered a fine product. I would rate it with a 6/10, given the number of bug fixes and product reiterations which we needed to make because certain items may not have been tested properly. We've had a few issues, but overall, JAKT created the design that we asked for.

How did JAKT perform from a project management standpoint?

As far as being on time, they were average. My expectations were a bit higher in this regard. I was surprised that we went as high as we went, budget-wise, exceeding the initial quote. Even though we added some additional requirements, there were a few stressful months during which we were unexpectedly overrunning our budget.

What distinguishes JAKT from other providers?

JAKT was very reactive. If we needed to sit down with their team, they were very quick to accommodate us. Communication was excellent.

Is there anything JAKT could have improved or done differently?

Testing has already changed within their company, but at one point, their philosophy was to only test the new features added to the app. The version that was pushed out to the app store only had testing done for its current changes. This was a catch for us, because without the regression testing necessary for all features, subtle effects can permeate through the app when making a small change. This caused us to have a couple of emergency pushes which were quite stressful.

I would like to mention that we were late on payments on a couple of occasions. They were extremely understanding and I will be eternally appreciative for that.

Platform Development for Students' Resource Site

"The platform is working, it’s terrific, and there are a lot of students using it."

Nov. 2014 - Ongoing

When the client’s previous development resources were no longer available, the client hired JAKT to develop their user-driven platform in accordance with their original design.

Ben Anagnos
Founder, Alta Ipsum

JAKT contributed high quality work to the project and assisted in delivering a successful platform. The agency is praised for their proactive practice of finding and fixing bugs rather than waiting for them to cause problems.

I work as a private tutor through my organization. The website we developed is designed as a way to help students set goals, generally organize, and track their grades. It's a way of using technology to accomplish the tasks I'd been doing for twenty years using pen and paper.

I am the owner of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with JAKT?

Four years ago, I built my first website in collaboration with my former partner, using a different company. I needed a new vendor.

JAKT developed my platform in accordance to the original design. It's a user-driven solution. Every student can enter in different information and use it in their own personalized way.

How did you come to work with JAKT?

In February of 2014, my former development company informed me that they would no longer support the platform on which my former site had been built, and that it would be shut down in May. This was a month before exams, which was really bad news. We only had ten subscribers at the time, but I still wanted to get the site up-and-running again as quickly as possible. I found JAKT through contacts. They seemed to understand what my aim was in terms of design, so I became involved with them.

The total development cost was $300,000.

The collaboration is ongoing. We’ve been working together for two years.

Could you share any feedback or metrics from this engagement?

The platform was designed for students, so it needed to be as fast as possible not only in its web form but also as an iOS app. The general problem stood in troubleshooting and understanding how to make the app run fast. We went back-and-forth and came up with some good ideas on managing data for users, without slowing down as more and more elements were added. When initially opening the app, only the present day plus ten days forward are pulled. Data from beyond that point and from the past can be easily gotten, but with this approach, there’s no delay at all. Students have appreciated being able to do this.

In terms of setting up the profile, we needed to make the process quick and conflict-free. JAKT completely redesigned this functionality, vastly improving how it functioned.

The app has a lot of moving parts and JAKT has made a good job of fixing bugs as they come up and at anticipating issues. The user base is composed of 12-18 year olds, who are more impatient than the average human being. They’ve done a wonderful job.

How did JAKT perform from a project management standpoint?

There were some hiccups because of organizational issues within JAKT. They let me know about this and I appreciated how they handled what was a very difficult situation. This delayed things in terms of how long the original development took, but they did a wonderful job.

What distinguishes JAKT from other providers?

The platform is working, it’s terrific, and there are a lot of students using it. They’ve been really good about fixing things and doing what other developers don’t do, which is fixing things instead of waiting for me to find things myself.

Is there anything JAKT could have improved or done differently?

Especially within the age of texting and emails, meanings can be lost when rushing a message. This is not necessarily a JAKT-specific gripe, but something that we could all keep in mind. They are good and certainly not slow, but everyone could communicate better.

A major part of this rating is to do with internal changes within their company at the time.
    In terms of sticking to estimates, any mishaps were my fault. There are a lot of variables in a process such as this.
    I already have recommended them.

iOS App Development for Image Preview Tool

"It was an overall successful project and I'm very happy with what JAKT built."

Nov. 2014 - Ongoing

JAKT developed an app for the client which involved building out the backend API which housed images and has continued collaborating with the client for the following iterations.

Shad Interligi
CEO, Wall Mural LLC

JAKT delivered quality work and managed to stay within the given budget and schedule. The client noted that communication could have been quicker, but still praises the agency for their development work and recommends JAKT to others.

We are Wall Mural LLC, a small startup company that offers users the ability to preview images on walls.

I am the Chief Executive Officer.

What business challenge were you trying to address with JAKT?

We needed help in developing a small iOS app for the preview of images on walls.

JAKT developed our application for us. They built out the backend API which houses the images. Design was handled by an outside agency with which JAKT was collaborating. I believe that they currently do all of their design work internally.

How did you come to work with JAKT?

I had met somebody that had a good knowledge of young, lean development teams. They thought that we would have a good fit with JAKT. I had interviewed a number of different developers and felt that their team would give our app the attention that it needed. There was a bit of a technical challenge for what we were looking to do.

This is confidential.

We started working with JAKT in November of 2014. Our collaboration is ongoing. We've published the third version of our app on the App Store and will be making an announcement for it this week.

They did a decent job with the work. I think that both our teams had a bit of a learning curve. They've matured since the early days and I've seen some definite improvements in them. From experience, I know that sometimes it's necessary to stumble in order to fix things.

How did JAKT perform from a project management standpoint?

This company is only a secondary project for me. Ultimately, what we were looking for was for JAKT to stay on budget and within schedule. They did a good job of both.

What distinguishes JAKT from other providers?

This is the only time that I've developed a product of this nature. I don't have a comparison term. It was an overall successful project and I'm very happy with what JAKT built.

Is there anything JAKT could have improved or done differently?

They could benefit from faster communication. I work with a graphic installations company. They have set deadlines for each store in terms of what graphics need to be put out. Software development may tend to move slower than what I'm used to from my work experience. JAKT moves blazingly fast compared to a bank, but they're not so quick in comparison to the companies that I run.

Web App Development for Co-Working Office Space

"JAKT did a very good job staging the project before pushing it live, so it’s pretty seamless. We’ve had nothing but good experience."

2014 - Ongoing

The client hired JAKT to develop their dashboard which essentially required building an app and a variety of feature-sets.

Jason Saltzman
Founder & CEO, AlleyNYC

JAKT delivered high quality work that has received positive feedback from the client’s user base. The agency is recognized for their professionalism and effective communication. There was no criticism and JAKT is highly recommended to others.

We are a co-working space in New York City that caters mainly to early-stage entrepreneurs. We have different programming that’s a little more extensive than just offering office space. We act much like an incubator; we have office hours with mentors, access to perks like Rackspace, free hosting credit, and other things of that nature.

I’m the CEO of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with JAKT?

We have hundreds of members who are part of our community. We wanted to build a member dashboard experience to on-board members, throughout their participation within our location. Part of the experience is creating a directory of who these people are and what they do, having a communication tool to interact with each other, and also setting up their experience throughout the space, whether it’s giving them access to the internet or training them on how to use the printer. So it’s just a very extensive membership experience, to guide them through everything they would need thought their membership here, and JAKT built that.

They were primarily responsible for the dashboard development. I’m calling it dashboard development, but there’s a lot that goes into it. It’s really an app all in itself, which has a bunch of different feature-sets. I’m not familiar with the technologies they used to build it.

How did you come to work with JAKT?

We vetted a bunch of different companies. We did an RFP, and we took proposals from everyone that we have relationships with. They’re not the only development shop that we know, given the scope of the industry we’re in. Their proposal, and their ability to execute the referrals that we gave them, led us to choose them as the vendor.

So far it’s been between $50,000 and $100,000.

We started to scope out the project about a year ago. Our work never stops; there’s always a different feature we’re rolling out. So we’re going to be continuing to utilize their services for as long as we develop our internal application.

Our experience has been great. Our members use it, and they seem to like it. We don’t get any negative feedback from our user base. I’ve worked with development firms in the past where things have been buggy; this is not that experience. JAKT did a very good job staging the project before pushing it live, so it’s pretty seamless. We’ve had nothing but a good experience with them.

How did JAKT perform from a project management standpoint?

We are an extremely thin organization because we have physical locations that we run. They took on the project management of this project, utilizing our limited amount of bandwidth and still executed in the timeframe and budget that we agreed to.

What distinguishes JAKT from other providers?

In my experiences with development shops before, and with having developed several different projects, I think the communication was really crisp. The expectations for the deliverables were managed properly. I think that’s not common. I deal with a lot of development firms on other projects, and they try to blame you for everything that goes wrong. You didn’t spend enough money or you cut corners, it’s like a sales job from the beginning. I don’t feel that with JAKT, like a bad sales agreement feeling that you get, close to buying a used car. Their communication and professionalism really stick out a lot.

Is there anything JAKT could have improved or done differently?

There’s nothing bad to say. We’ve had such a great experience. From a branding perspective, I can tell them that the experience supersedes the brand, and that needs to change to scale.

App Development for Social Event Platform

"They [JAKT] are dedicated business professionals, along with talented engineers, so they really are a fantastic service team in that regard."

2013 - Ongoing

JAKT assisted the client in the development of their web and iOS apps. The agency’s role included redesign work and front-end programming using JavaScript and Node.

William Litvack
CEO & Founder, SquadUP, Inc.

JAKT performs well and satisfies the client by delivering work within their allotted timelines and budgets. The agency is recognized for their professionalism and attentiveness. There is no criticism for JAKT and they are highly recommended to others.

We are a do-it-yourself ticketing company. We've been in the business for about three and a half years. I've served more than 1,900 unique customers doing more than 8,000 unique events. Nearly a million people have registered for events on our platform through iOS, Android, and desktop.

I am the CEO and founder.

What business challenge were you trying to address with JAKT?

We have a super complicated technology product. We jokingly in nerd speak call it a "platform as a service" as opposed to "software as a service." The unique challenge for us was that we were simultaneously developing desktop web, iOS, and Android. We needed to develop a cohesive strategy that lined up from a design perspective and lined up with the long-term business goals. JAKT came in and helped us out both with web and iOS.

They have a very talented design team, and a strong business sense. It wasn't just working with somebody who was good with keys. It was working with someone who took the time to understand what our goals were as a business, and then helped us put together a cohesive strategy for design and development that are lined up with those goals.

This was almost two years ago now, so it's since been redesigned, but they did a full redesign of our web platform. They helped us build the frontend for that using JavaScript and Node. On the mobile side, they helped us do a full design and development of an iOS application, which was done using Objective-C.

How did you come to work with JAKT?

During the course of the last three years, I've probably worked with 35 different engineers and designers. Anthony [Tumbiolo, the founder at] JAKT, was one of those early designers and engineers. I think we were actually working in the same co-working space, in New York. Just by happenstance, we started working with them.

During a period of time, we shuttled in and out consultants and advisors. Some were good, some were bad, and some were terrible. Anthony was part of the fantastic group of people that helped us develop the business and the products through the course of the last two years. I had a lot of experience working with consultants, and Anthony and team JAKT was probably the only group that we've really stuck with throughout the whole process.

Most of the work has been completed, but Anthony and I are always working on random little side projects together.

It's tough to quantify the work of one consultant during the course of three years. We're still alive as a company and still thriving, so I would say that speaks for both the success of the project and the affordability. There is definitely a level of success there, I just can't give you a specific metric because it would be impossible to parse down.

How did JAKT perform from a project management standpoint?

They are very communicative and they stay within deadlines and budgets; those are probably their biggest strengths. JAKT is incredibly professional and attentive. They're pros. It's not like dealing with a ragtag group of engineers who have one former engineer who's working as a project manager. They are dedicated business professionals, along with talented engineers, so they really are a fantastic service team in that regard.

What distinguishes JAKT from other providers?

I would say exactly what I just mentioned before. You're combining strong business sense and a really communicative project management team in conjunction with best in class engineering for a multitude of platforms.

Is there anything JAKT could have improved or done differently?

I've recommended to probably 10 different firms.