Branding + WordPress, Intertwined.

The Jake Group is a creative marketing agency located in Washington, DC. Offering a full-service approach to branding and high-impact web design, we specialize in custom WordPress implementations for professional services and non-profit organizations.

Aside from our jaunty name, we are known for our innovative, integrated approach to digital marketing. Since 2002, we have designed and built over 250 custom websites, and nearly 500 clients have relied on us for building their online brand. Where we’re small in size, we’re big in experience. Some of our most notable clients include Shakespeare Theatre Company, The Aspen Institute, Colonial Parking, FOX Architects, MCN Build, The Solar Foundation, Pacific Standard Magazine, Albright Stonebridge Group, and more.

2002
Jake Group
3214 O Street NW
Washington, DC 20007

Shakespeare Theatre Company, The Aspen Institute, Colonial Parking, FOX Architects, MCN Build, The Solar Foundation, Pacific Standard Magazine, Albright Stonebridge Group, The Kenendy Center, Walton Family Foundation, Jair Lynch Real Estate Development Company, American Assocation of Colleges of Nursing, Atlantic Parking, Chicago Title Insurance Company, and Platinum Equity.

Web Design & Rebrand for Nursing Common App Program

“Jake Group exceeded my expectations … . They were a pleasure to work with from start to finish.”

Feb. - Aug. 2018

Assisting with a rebranding effort, Jake Group redesigned a website and a logo. They worked collaboratively with an in-house team to capture the vision of the organization.

Rachel Stayton
Communications Coordinator, American Association of Colleges of Nursing

The website looks professional and the new look of the brand contributed to a spike in interest. Jake Group went above and beyond to meet all needs, while their expertise, professionalism, and competitive rates made them a go-to partner for future projects.

I'm the NursingCAS Communications Coordinator at the American Association of Colleges of Nursing. NursingCAS is the Common Application Service for nursing programs, similar to the common app for regular undergraduate admissions.

What challenge were you trying to address with Jake Group?

We didn't have a professionally designed website (our website was made internally), so we were looking for a company to redesign our site. Also, participation in NursingCAS is growing, so we needed help redesigning our logo.

We had an initial meeting with them and went through a very thorough discovery process. Then, they created a draft of our new logo and started redesigning our website. It was a very collaborative process and we were constantly in-touch via email or phone. They continue to host and maintain our site.

We had one primary point of contact.

How did you come to work with Jake Group?

I found them through a Google search. I interviewed six other web designers, but the team at Jake Group understood all of our needs and was very responsive, so we chose them. Also, they have competitive rates.

We spent about $35,000.

We started working with them in February 2018 and the website launched in August 2018.

We've received a lot of interest from schools who are looking to enroll in the service. We're monitoring our Google Analytics to see if we've had an increase in traffic.

How did Jake Group perform from a project management standpoint?

They stayed on top of everything. We mainly used email to communicate and they always responded quickly.

I was going into the project expecting to do a lot of babysitting of the vendor to make sure they'd follow up and deliver. Jake Group exceeded my expectations, so I'd love to continue working with them.

I can't think of anything.

Overall Score They did a wonderful job cleaning up our website and making it look more professional.
    Our original timeline was a little ambitious.
    They have very competitive rates and provide great value.
    They were a pleasure to work with from start to finish.
    I've already recommended them to several people.

Web Dev & Design for Nonprofit Membership Organization

“They had a great understanding of design concepts and user experience.”

June 2017 - Mar. 2018

Working from an existing version, Jake Group redesigned and developed a WordPress site that includes application and map functionalities.

Marcus Travis
Marketing Manager, ICMA

The new site has significantly increased the pace of project results achieved to date—well ahead of schedule. Jake Group brought extensive expertise that helped foresee future needs for the site. They communicated well regarding any changes to timelines.

I’m the marketing manager at ICMA, a nonprofit membership organization that works with local governments. We implement programs and provide professional development.

What challenge were you trying to address with Jake Group?

We were tasked with launching a new website to manage community application and intake processes as part of a program implementation. The site needed to allow communities to apply through the site and to be a means for recognizing the communities involved in our program.

We had a temporary solution in place that communities could use but it was cumbersome. We were using Tableau, which could display data well but wasn’t a great user experience. We needed to design a permanent solution that was easy to use. The site also needed to be sustainable in the sense that it could be maintained with little effort after the program ended.

Jake Group provided both backend development and frontend design for our WordPress site. Among other things, the site has an intake form for applications, a section of community profiles, and a map functionality that can present data on the communities by location. We launched an initial version in late September. I’ve since moved off the project to another team but I believe the site is still being finalized.

Their technical director was our project lead. We also worked with another project manager and a couple of designers. The president/creative director joined some of the bigger meetings.

How did you come to work with Jake Group?

Our procurement process essentially follows government guidelines which meant that we were required to do an open RFP process. We weren’t necessarily looking for the cheapest option. We wanted to work with someone who had experience working with organizations like ours and had a good understanding of our audience and how to engage them.

Jake Group was one of the 15 respondents to our RFP and part of the final three when we narrowed down. They were the most prepared of those groups that we interviewed. They had a strong sense of the design we were looking for. They had examples ready based on our RFP of past projects with clients both large and small. For items they didn’t have examples for, they were aware of the possible features and how we could apply them. After a couple of meetings and presentations, we selected Jake Group.

The project ceiling was $145,000.

We started in June 2017. The project was meant to be completed in March 2018.

Communities apply mainly through our website to be involved in our program. We have to achieve 300 designated communities over the five years to 2020. Since we launched the site last fall, we’ve increased our numbers from just around 100 to 201 designated communities. We’ve had more than 75 communities come through the new website and we’re well on our way to achieving our goal of 300.

The new site is a huge upgrade. It’s much more user-friendly. User feedback has been consistently positive about the features and data displays. Everything they had completed up to the time that I left the project had met our standards.

How did Jake Group perform from a project management standpoint?

Overall, pretty well. They’re very easy to talk to and have a great understanding of web design and development. One challenge I found was the availability of their developers. We had a point around the holidays, during which they were also in the midst of hiring, that their work slowed down in terms of meeting timelines on some items. It wasn’t clear if they were struggling to keep up with large projects from multiple clients. However, they never promised anything that they didn’t deliver. They were generally good at setting and meeting timelines and communicating any changes or issues that came up.

Jake Group impressed us with their technical skill and foresight. They had a great understanding of design concepts and user experience, including on the backend for those working with the site on a daily basis. They were aware of the issues that could make things easier and simpler on our end, especially as we moved towards the end of the project and weren’t going to be able to be as hands-on with the site. They were able to design the site to meet those future needs.

They also had a great handle on the features, design, and development process for WordPress in particular.

Overall Score They’re wonderful, knowledge people to work with. I enjoyed the experience.
    They were very forthcoming in terms of delays and deadlines. The only issue was that one point at which they were busier.
    They certainly weren't the cheapest but we were able to negotiate to get exactly what we needed for the price we wanted.
    What they delivered—from wireframes to final product—was very good from my point of view.
    They know what they're doing and can deliver a good product, especially for our nonprofit space.

Shopify Web Development for Macaron Cookie Shop

“I like how involved they get in their projects, their level of communication, and how approachable they are.”

July - Nov. 2016

The Jake Group redesigned the front- and backend of a Shopify-based website to make it more user-friendly and easily updatable.

Ana Lopez
Owner & CEO, Olivia Macaron

After the website’s overhaul, visitor engagement and online sales have increased significantly and the website is much easier to maintain. The Jake Group’s communication, approachability, and top-notch deliverables allowed them to extend the relationship to perform marketing and SEO work.

I am the owner and CEO of Olivia Macaron. We sell French macaron cookies in several locations in the Washington, DC, area. We also sell online and can ship nationwide.

What challenge were you trying to address with the Jake Group?

We began with a website that was not powerful enough and we had some issues with the developer we had worked with. We wanted to start over from scratch with a company we could trust.

They did full back- and frontend design of our Shopify-based website. They also helped us with one of our main challenges with the customer ordering process. Our product is perishable, so we can only ship certain days of the week, which creates a limit on when a customer can have the item shipped. Also, not all of our boxes are shippable. The Jake Group found elegant solutions for everything.

I worked directly with two people: the owner of the firm and an account manager.

How did you come to work with the Jake Group?

They were recommended to me by a friend and I liked the fact that they were local, accessible, and a Georgetown-based small business.

More than $40,000.

We worked together from July or August–November 2016.

Recently, we agreed to work together again. I wanted to delegate our marketing efforts to a company I trusted, so they will help us with maintaining the website as well as with our marketing and SEO efforts.

After the Jake Group revamped our website, I can estimate that our online sales tripled. People were extremely happy with its new functionality. Internally, we are especially pleased because the backend is so user-friendly now. It’s easy to maintain and update. Also, we see more customer inquiries, more people engaged on the website, and visitors to the site staying longer, which is fantastic compared to what it was like before.

How did the Jake Group perform from a project management standpoint?

I think they did an excellent job. They had great communication and were on top of the work. They were good at asking for materials, following up, and making sure we all stuck to the very short deadlines we established.

I like how involved they get in their projects, their level of communication, and how approachable they are. I’ve worked with other developers before and I dreaded the experience because I had to chase them with emails and calls without hearing back. Others would be late with deliverables. That completely changed with the Jake Group. I would describe the Jake Group as an elegant small business.

No, I don’t think there’s anything I can say about that. They’re very approachable and I’m extremely happy. Otherwise, I would not be working with them again.

We had a very tough deadline they had to meet and they outdid themselves in getting us there.
    I have already recommended them to a couple people.

Branding & Web Dev for Private Philanthropic Foundation

“I'm 100% satisfied with everything they've done for me.”

Mar. 2014 - Ongoing

Spearheading a branding campaign, Jake Group developed a website that has 60 pages of information. They also designed a logo and various collateral, such as brochures, business cards, and fundraising materials.

Baltimore, Maryland
Elizabeth Cairns
Executive Director, The Peter G. Dodge Foundation

The website is effective and easy to navigate. The internal team loves the design, while customers are impressed with the high quality of print materials. Going above and beyond to understand all needs, Jake Group set clear expectations and communicated openly throughout the process.

I'm the executive director and co-founder of The Peter G. Dodge Foundation. We are a private philanthropic foundation that helps people with alcohol addiction.

What challenge were you trying to address with Jake Group?

We were a startup and needed a vendor to help us develop a brand and build our website.

First of all, they gave us a questionnaire, asking us to describe various attributes of our company. We were a new company, so we were developing our identity along the way. We did a competitive analysis and discussed with them what our website would look like. After that, they presented me with a number of options for the design.

They developed a comprehensive website, which contains over 60 pages of information.  We worked collaboratively to organize that information and present it visually. In addition, they designed our logo and about 20 different print items, including business cards, brochures, invitations, annual reports, fundraising materials, and thank you cards.

We primarily work with Veronique (Morrison, Senior Project Manager, Jake Group).

How did you come to work with them?

Our founder worked with their principal previously. When we were looking for a vendor for this project, we talked to Jake Group and they seemed a good fit.

We've spent about $40,000.

We started working with them in March 2014 and the relationship is ongoing.

We received a lot of great feedback on the design of our website and the quality of our print materials. Our users find the website effective and easy to navigate

How did they perform from a project management standpoint?

They’ve done a wonderful job. They set clear expectations and were upfront about the cost and the timeline, so we haven't had any issues after the project started.

I love the quality and the design of their materials. Besides, they're easy to work with. I tried to work with another designer, who was doing pro bono work for us, but I soon realized I wanted to go back to working with Veronique. She understands my needs much better than the other designer did.

I can't think of anything. There was a moment towards the end of the development process when I thought it was taking too long, but they were very clear about the reasons it took them longer to finish the website. In the end, I was so satisfied with the outcome that the time wasn't a big deal.

Overall Score I'm 100% satisfied with everything they've done for me.
    They have quick turnaround times and communicate clearly if there is a delay.
    They're a bit pricey, but it's been worth it.
    We loved everything they’ve produced for us.
    I've recommended them many times.

Branding for Boutique Real Estate Consulting Company

"In the time we’ve been working together, we’ve seen how much their work has improved our business."

Dec. 2016 - Sept. 2017

The digital creative agency redesigned a logo, designed new business cards, improved a firm’s qualifications package, and refreshed an outdated website.

Mark Strandquist
Principal, Clear Real Estate Services

Jake Group remained receptive to feedback and different ideas while updating designs for use in digital and print. Their work increased exposure and the number of potential clientele. Their responsiveness and dedication often put them ahead of schedule.

I'm a principal at a small boutique real estate company called Clear Real Estate Services in Washington, DC. We provide real estate consulting services to groups in need of delivering real estate projects. We help those groups find the best team for the work they need to be done, and then we oversee the project until it’s finished.

What challenge were you trying to address with Jake Group?

Our logo and website were outdated, our qualifications were weak, and we didn’t have any branding for signage and other advertising opportunities. We needed a firm that could help us redesign our website, freshen up our logo, create some proposals, and help us create a brand. We were looking for a partner that was creative, resourceful, and financially flexible since we're a small firm.

I met with the team’s president and creative director to discuss the firm’s goals and priorities. We decided to address the design work for our logo and business cards first. My colleagues and I were really happy with the changes she made to the logo—she updated the design while keeping it similar enough to the old logo to be recognizable—and we still get compliments on the business cards.

From there, we updated our qualifications package, just in time to compete for what would be the largest project we’ve ever gotten.

The team also helped us create signs and banners for ground-up work we’re doing around D.C. While we were working on these designs, we were in early planning stages for remaking our website. The website was our largest of the initial projects we worked on with Jake Group.

I’ve worked with the team’s technical director and the senior project manager, but I engaged almost exclusively with the firm’s president and creative director.

How did you come to work with Jake Group?

We were most concerned with finding a company that would work with a firm as small as ours, yet could still provide the expertise and responsiveness we wanted. Jake Group was among a handful of firms recommended to us, and after I met with the president and creative director, I knew I wanted to work with her team.

We’ve spent around $9,000, which includes the logo design, business cards design, qualifications collateral, proposals redesign, signage for banners, and the website improvement work. The total spend was over $40,000.

We started our rebranding projects with them in December 2016 and finished in September 2017.

We were latecomers to compete for a large project against three larger organizations, and I’m confident the designs and materials that Jake Group provided us are what allowed us to close that deal. I give Jake Group total credit for the new work and exposure we’ve gained—we provided the content, but their design and branding is what affects clients most.

How did Jake Group perform from a project management standpoint?

The team communicated with us regularly and was often ahead of schedule. We established a timeline when we began working together to determine priorities, goals, and the estimated time we thought it would take to complete each project. The creative director was receptive to feedback and happy to hear our ideas, but she’s also skilled enough to know that some plans wouldn’t work and she took the time to effectively explain that to us.

In the time we’ve been working together, we’ve seen how much their work has improved our business. Their responsiveness and the work they deliver is impeccable.

No. Everyone on the team is an expert in their field and I don't have any criticism. Their work is well-delivered, they're responsive, and they always have a strategy to execute their ideas.

Overall Score Everyone at our firm enjoyed working with the Jake Group team.
    It felt like the agency invested in a relationship with our firm.
    They exceeded my expectations.
    I’ve already recommended them.

Web Design for Architecture & Interior Design Firm

“They really took the time to understand our priorities and adapt to the style we wanted.”

Aug. 2016 - Oct. 2017

Jake Group migrated a website to the WordPress platform and performed a redesign. They built responsive design templates and added interactive pop-up features. They also added Google Analytics.

Melissa Epstein
Director of Marketing, FOX Architects

Jake Group met every deadline and handled detailed design requests with ease and patience. Their redesign has yielded an increase in positive customer feedback, improved bounce rates, and resulted in customers spending more time engaging with the site.

I’m the director of marketing for FOX Architects, an architecture and interior design firm focused on the commercial office sector. We’re located in Washington, DC, and primarily serve clients in the Washington metro area.

What challenge were you trying to address with Jake Group?

Our old website was outdated, poorly organized, and didn’t accurately reflect our brand. We wanted to create a site that better reflected our brand and made us stand out from the competition.

We wanted a site that would look and feel different from anything our competitors were doing, while still reflecting our personality and style. Jake Group reworked our UI/UX in order to give our users a more novel experience and help them understand our brand better.

Our previous site was built with ExpressionEngine, which was clunky and hard to update, so they helped us transition from that over to WordPress. They created templates that made our site more mobile-friendly, simplified a lot of our content management, and gave us much more flexibility to customize different sections of the site. They also added interactive features like pop-up information. On the backend, they installed Google Analytics for us and ensured that our site highlighted our three core focal points: projects, people, and insights.

We primarily worked with our project manager, but we also worked with the president of Jake Group, as well as one of their web developers.

How did you come to work with Jake Group?

We began the partnership before I came on board, but one of our consultants had previously worked with Jake Group and recommended them highly. We felt like their team’s work style and willingness to listen to our design notes would suit our needs well.

The project cost about $57,000.

We started working with them in August 2016 and wrapped up in October 2017.

The amount of positive user feedback about our new site has been astounding. People have not only liked it, but they’re also interacting with it for longer periods of time. Our bounce rate is down, and thanks to the addition of Google Analytics, we can track how users move across the site and understand which sections are drawing their attention the most.

How did Jake Group perform from a project management standpoint?

They always met their deadlines and kept us on track as well. They were very responsive and great to work with.

They had highly dedicated, customer-oriented people on their team. We were a difficult client. We’re a design firm, so we’re very nitpicky when other people do design work for us, but they really took the time to understand our priorities and adapt to the style we wanted. The end result was a beautifully-branded custom website that accurately reflected our brand. They achieved everything we wanted right from the first explanation of the concept, and I don’t think you always see that. Their ability to take direction while still using their expertise to guide us along really set them apart.

Overall Score They’re easy to work with and they listen well.
    They met every deadline we set.
    They never made us feel like we had to pinch pennies and we got a lot of value from their work.
    They listened and really incorporated our style and personality into their design choices.
    We’d definitely recommend them to other clients or colleagues.

Web Redesign for Construction Management Firm

"They are accessible and very in tune with their clients."

Sept. 2015 - Aug. 2016

Jake Group built a new WordPress website. They optimized the site for mobile viewing and mobile content uploading. They also did copywriting and editing, which was an expansion of the original scope.

Baltimore, Maryland
Kristen Doty
Director of Business Development, Scheibel Construction

The site has garnered positive feedback from users. Jake Group’s focus on idea-development and transparent communications, as well as their organized project management, led to a successful, personal partnership. Customers can expect a competitive price and work of corresponding value.

I’m the business development director at Scheibel Construction.

What challenge were you trying to address with Jake Group?

We were trying to bring our website up to current times, but still show our long history and stick to our core values.

Jake Group designed and developed a completely new WordPress website for us. They focused heavily on easy content uploading, which was a problem on our old, Concrete 5 website. The site had to be optimized for mobile devices as well.

Though not in the original scope, Jake Group did some copywriting and editing for us which was very helpful in allowing us to meet our launch date. After the website launched, they also provided us with banners and tablecloths to display at job fairs.

I worked with a project manager, Veronique, and one other person.

How did you come to work with them?

They were referred to me by someone in the industry and they were responsive when I reached out to them.

We spent $27,795 on the website.

The relationship began in September of 2015 and ended in August 2016. We have a maintenance contract with The Jake Group and we still use them for miscellaneous marketing needs.

We’re not doing Google analytics but I’ve had a lot of people compliment me about just how much they liked the website. They think it looks really good.

How did Jake Group perform from a project management standpoint?

They were very communicative and responsive and tailored their engagement to my timeline. Their management was very organized and they were able to shepherd ideas from inception to implementation. We were working with a soft deadline and my schedule was busy, but when I was faced with a hard deadline, they were ready to go.

They were accessible and very in tune with their clients; they formed a personal relationship with us. Veronique was also amazing. She was responsive and very patient.

I caught a couple small mistakes in their copywriting, and they could be a little less expensive. But as a business owner, I understand it.

They did a good job of politely keeping me in check.
    They were very responsive and very good at executing our vision.

Web Design & Branding for Retained Executive Search Firm

“The work they’ve done has consistently proven that they listen closely and understand our goals.”

The Jake Group is providing guidance on a full company rebrand that includes site redesign, new logos, and updated marketing materials.

Todd Dorfman
Owner, Krauthamer & Associates

A comprehensive understanding of business strategy and marketing techniques have yielded high-quality visuals that smoothly align with the client’s proposed brand identity. The project is still in early phases, but preliminary designs have already garnered significant positive feedback.

I’m the managing partner at a retained executive search firm.

What challenge were you trying to address with the Jake Group?

We initially contacted them about 10 years ago while redoing our website for the firm. We had a very modest web presence and decided to build a professional site while revamping our branding, logo, and marketing materials. We recently reengaged with them for another rebrand with a very similar scope of work.

We’re currently going through an extensive discovery/Q&A phase. They have an entire protocol around meeting with our leadership to understand where we are today, what we’re trying to achieve, and what we’re looking to do in the future. Their process takes us through the branding dynamic to help us understand some of the conceptual ideas, then they distill that into a very concrete marketing exercise.

The final deliverables are not done yet. We are starting with determining the ideal brand identity. They recently produced the first round of logo designs, and I have a branding call with them and my partners next week. What we decide on the call will lead to the start of development.

Most of my direct contact is with Anneli (President & Creative Director, Jake Group). I also work with a technical director a senior project manager.

How did you come to work with Jake Group?

I know a lot of people in the marketing space from my experience as a search executive, so I reached out to a few colleagues and was referred to two other firms in addition to the firm that we used the first time. We talked to all three of the firms and the Jake Group stood out from the rest for several reasons: they understand professional services, they have a very efficient creative process, and they’re business-oriented.

The website itself will be a $30,000–$50,000 project. As for the other aspects of the project, it's hard to know because they’re project-driven. They’re most likely another $10,000–$15,000.

We started the project in January 2018, and the work is ongoing.

The project is still in early phases, but the work they’ve produced so far around brand ideas and logo design has been very impressive. The Jake Group doesn’t show you 30 options; they’ll show you five excellent options. From there, they’ll start a conversation and tweak the best option for your specifications and requirements.

Our clients really appreciate and enjoy the current website, and I think they'll be very excited about the new one. Our clients have provided a huge amount of positive feedback saying that the website is very clear, provocative, and showed our depth of experience. We were very pleased with that.

How did Jake Group perform from a project management standpoint?

Their team is incredibly communicative, which is very important to us. They keep us updated throughout the project and always meet deadlines. They’ll always be forthright about any issues, which are usually due to something on our end. Their process is very tight. Other than occasional timeline data, all updates are sent to us via email.

Anneli has been involved in every aspect of our project. She's the person we initially met and hired, and she's the person who's still working with us. I know she relies on her team, but she provides input on everything they do. That's the same way that we aim to grow our businesses. When people hire us, they know that our partners and I are doing a lot of the work, and that's something that's very important to us.

Additionally, they have a very high level of technical expertise. They know all the marketing strategies, but they also have very effective business minds. This allows them to translate our business objectives into something marketable. I know they work with a lot of different types of business, and their experience really translates into their work. Anneli has a great eye for design and all the other things you would expect, but she's a businessperson, and that's something we value greatly. She’s done a great job moderating our partnership dynamics in helping us determine the direction of the project.

We’ve been incredibly pleased with the engagement. Marketing and design are very subjective, and I thought it’d be impossible to ask someone for three logos only to be satisfied with one in particular. The work they’ve done has consistently proven that they listen closely and understand our goals. There really aren't any areas of improvements that stand out.

Overall Score They’re professional, creative, and they understand your business.
    They push us to move quicker and help me drive my partners towards our goal.
    They’re very fair in their pricing structures.
    They’re incredibly professional and exceptionally insightful.
    I have referred her to multiple colleagues already.