Industry leaders in digital experiences

Jackrabbit is a technology consulting firm that helps clients define and build digital products that solve their business needs.

We deliver value to clients through product design focused on your business goals and top-tier software development expertise. We've worked with clients from a wide variety of verticals including healthcare, education, and government.

Our services include:

Product Design

• User Research
    • Interviews, Contextual Inquiries, Personas, Empathy Maps, Affinity Mapping
  • User Experience Design
    • Experience Mapping, Wireframes, Rapid Prototypes, Usability Testing
  • User Interface Design / Visual Design
    • iOS design, Android design, web design, style guides, accessibility audit

Software Development

• Native iOS
    • Swift, Objective C
  • Native Android
    • Java
  • Web Applications & Websites
    • HTML5, CSS, Angular.JS, Wordpress, etc.
  • Backend
    • Heroku, Amazon Web Services, Python, Node.JS, serverless architecture, etc.
  • Hardware-software Integration
    • Internet of Things, APIs, firmware, programmable logic controllers, etc.
  • Systems of Systems
    • Systems integration, ISAs, etc.
  • Specialized languages and frameworks
    • Legacy and industrial systems
  • Quality assurance testing and bug fixing

In addition to client work, we experiment with emerging technologies like augmented reality, facial recognition, and drones in our Labs department.

To request industry-specific examples, please email [email protected]

Austin, TX
  • 1620 E 7th St
    Austin, TX 78702

Mobile App Dev for Fitness Social Networking Platform

"Their guidance and expertise have always steered us in a good direction."

Jackrabbit Mobile built native iOS and Android apps for a social networking platform. They did testing and provided upgrades, iterating based on user feedback.

Austin, Texas
CVBM Interests LLC
CEO, Heart Rate Social

The team is currently working on revenue models following the successful launch of the product on iOS and Android. Jackrabbit Mobile offers clear communication and they're proactive about fixing mistakes.

I am the CEO/Founder of Heart Rate Social. We are a social networking app to connect friends, workout buddies, and dating for those that have a passion for healthy and active lifestyles.

For what projects/services did your company hire Jackrabbit Mobile?

They first helped me take my MVP on iOS from a buggy failed app to a commercial-ready product. Slowly upgrading and testing all the features and user feedback to create a great product. Then they helped me duplicate my iOS product on Android.

Improve user experience, add lots of features, measure and track UX, then duplicate on Android.

I interview at least a half a dozen dev teams, Jackrabbit Mobile was communicative, accurate quoting, quality of work, and willing to work with me on the terms I needed to complete my project.

First was taking my base MVP I had developed offshore into a great product with a limited budget. We outlined all the features we wanted, scoped the work, and implemented in phases to help my fundraising. The app is native on both iOS/Android. They provided very accurate timelines, honest about hours required, and always came through on their timelines.

I always had a project manager that helped stay the course, Matt (Sales and CX Director, Jackrabbit Mobile) was excellent to work with. I also had members of my own team that worked in conjunction with the Jackrabbit Mobile team, making sure we were hitting every angle and timelines.

I officially launched iOS last year, we launched Android this year, and I'm still working with Jackrabbit Mobile to implement my revenue models currently.

Communication has always been top-notch, there are always development issues that come up, and their guidance and expertise have always steered us in a good direction. They made very few mistakes, but when they did they owned their mistakes and made quick work to rectify.

Their quotes were accurate, and the communication was great. Every other dev company I worked with would either under quote or overbill. That was never the case with Jackrabbit Mobile, and that alone was a good enough reason to continue to use them.

No suggestions from me, once again their mistakes were few and I was always satisfied with their response to those mistakes. As a business owner, that's all you can ask for.

Overall Score Great to work with.
    above and beyond communication
    One of the lowest in my experience
    Quality was always on point
    I already have and will again.

Mobile App Dev for Pet Care Products Firm

"Jackrabbit's project management is unparalleled."

Sept. 2016 - Aug. 2017

Jackrabbit is developing an iOS app connecting pet products to users’ mobile phones. The app identifies fault modes, updates settings, and uses push notifications. The team will also develop an Android app.

Auburn Hills, Michigan
Jacob Zuppke
Vice President, AutoPets

Beta users of the iOS app have offered overwhelmingly positive feedback. Jackrabbit’s team is creative and able to actively problem solve to cope with complex logic. They communicate daily and have stayed on-course, even when a new project manager stepped into the role.

I am vice president of AutoPets, a manufacturer and retailer of highly functional connected pet products. We focus on the development of pet products that solve a need for pet parents. Our flagship product is called Litter-Robot. It is an automatic, self-cleaning litter box for cats.

What challenge were you trying to address with Jackrabbit Mobile?

We were looking for the next version of the Litter-Robot, which included connectivity and our ability to understand the cats' usage of the Litter-Robot. The connectivity side, we know, is part of the future. We had been looking at IoT before IoT was popular. We originally looked to hire internally to lead that project. After some trial and error, we made the decision that we should look for an extension of our team through a contractor such as Jackrabbit. At the time, the development of the project was about 30% complete, which made it harder for a new vendor to pick up somebody else’s work. Jackrabbit could not have done a better job.

The product is a mobile app for the Litter-Robot. It allows pet parents to see how frequent the Litter-Robot is being used by cats in their household or if there are any fault modes. For example, a common fault mode would be a user putting too much litter in the Litter-Robot or the drawer getting full. The Litter-Robot mobile app tells users when they need to empty the drawer, if it’s in a fault mode, and how frequently it’s being used. The app also allows users to change the settings, such as the night light, the wait time, and push notifications.

The first big goal that Jackrabbit had was to get a prototype ready for a trade show, which created a very short window to finish the whole project. They got a prototype finished for us. Their team came out to attend to be there at the booth with us for a little bit.

Jackrabbit did only the development of our iOS app. It is now a completed project with ongoing, continued development. We are in official public beta, and our customers are purchasing in a small beta round right now. Our second beta version is about to launch within the next 2 weeks.

We chose to develop native apps, which are integrated with Magento using a proprietary open-source API.

In the whole project, there were two project managers speaking with us daily, as well as one iOS developer, one API developer, and one designer. The API developer was the most communicative, well-spoken, and organized developer we could have ever asked for. She quickly understood our product and the algorithm behind how the app works without making us repeat ourselves at all. She was so quick to understand everything, and so was the other developer.

How did you come to work with Jackrabbit Mobile?

We realized what we were looking for was beyond what one individual engineer could do alone, but we weren’t ready to hire an internal team. We were looking for a team of experts that had knowledge beyond what one person could offer us. We wrote a proposal for what we were looking for, similar to an RFP, but very detailed and with wireframes.

We evaluated five potential vendors, and we selected Jackrabbit. Jackrabbit impressed me with one of their blog entries, which was about hybrid versus native mobile apps. The knowledge in that article was something that I was looking for, and the article was well written and so well illustrated with examples. It gave me confidence in their ability to understand the problem and the situation we were in and have an answer to our questions.

Jackrabbit's VP of Engineering, an iOS developer, and an Android developer were involved before we paid them, which I valued very highly. They evaluated the current code and quoted the project based on what was actually there. They came back with questions to the current developer. They also had video walk-throughs of the current code, asking for very specific deliverables before they would even quote the project. Most other companies just blindly quoted low to get the business. Jackrabbit was the second most expensive of five quotes, but they had more of an intimate understanding than any other vendor based on the questions that they asked in the rigorous proposal process they put us through, which I appreciated.

We have spent between $50,000 and $200,000.

We started the proposal process in the beginning of July 2016 as we were phasing out the previous developer. Throughout July, there was a knowledge transfer which we were not billed for. iOS development went from September 2016 until August 2017. They’re getting started on Android in August 2017.

We’re currently doing surveys with the beta testers. We are getting an overwhelmingly positive response, which is great to hear.

How did Jackrabbit Mobile perform from a project management standpoint?

Jackrabbit's project management is unparalleled. We've even had a project manager leave during our work with Jackrabbit, and there was no impact on our project, which is rare in development. The new project manager was brought completely up to speed and started working on our project several months ahead of their predecessor leaving. We don't feel that we've had to spend anything extra because of that turnover.

We communicate daily. They do daily stand-ups, and the client is welcome to join those. We also have weekly Sprint planning and weekly Sprint reviews. Of those three things, I've been part of every Sprint planning and the Sprint reviews since we started. They have built enough trust that I don't feel the need to attend the daily stand-ups.

The meetings are done through Google Hangouts. We also use Trello. I could not be more pleased with their project management, from the backlog to what was in development to how they tracked every single communication we have. That is what kept things working so smoothly throughout the project.

They are creative developers. They are able to look at problems and help come up with solutions. They are able to look at dry content and come up with creative design to make the user experience better.

At this time, I don’t have anything. They have done a fantastic job from start to finish. There have been no empty promises, the delivery has been on time, and they set the right expectations. Everybody here in our organization is thrilled with the partnership.

They have cost more than we originally planned to spend. They’ve made us aware of that throughout the whole project, and it’s because of things that we’ve added to the initial engagement. Going into Android, we’ve already done all the light work to create the logic behind the app. In a perfect world, I would have gone to may freelancer to do Android because it would have cost maybe one-third the amount, but we still elected to partner with Jackrabbit for Android and our continued iOS development. That speaks really well to how much trust they’ve earned with us.

Overall Score Jackrabbit delivered exceptional value and was a pleasure to work with.
    They met every deadline and set realistic expectations.
    It was a good value with great delivery, but we client created scope creep resulting in a more expensive finished product.
    They over-delivered, under-promised, and gave us a great final product.
    Ten. I’ve already referred them to other perspective clients.

Web Application Development for University of Texas

"They really took me seriously and treated me with respect."

2012 - 2013

Jackrabbit Mobile collaborated with a research group for the purpose of building a mobile-friendly web app. The agency handled front-end design and UI/UX design using data from the group.

Austin, Texas
Amanda Stevenson
Graduate Student Researcher, University of Texas

Jackrabbit Mobile contributed to an extremely functional app that received a great deal of press coverage and had a positive impact on legislation. The agency excelled at delivering high-quality work and finding and fixing any coding errors. Their consistency and expertise made the project a success.

We’re a group of faculty and students studying human population dynamics at the University of Texas at Austin.

What are your role and responsibilities?

I’m a researcher and a graduate student. I work in a section of the university called the Population Research Center.

What was your goal for working with Jackrabbit Mobile?

Our team had some research findings that we wanted to make accessible to the general public and the legislature, and those findings were quite complex and very time sensitive. We were under a really tight deadline. We wanted to use a mobile app, so our research would be easy for people to find and understand.

Jackrabbit Mobile made us a Web app that was optimized for essentially any mobile device. Our team was creating the data while Jackrabbit was developing the app. We basically did the back-end, and they did the design and the interface.

What was your process for selecting Jackrabbit Mobile with which to work?

As a public university, we have a rigorous contracting process. So, we got in touch with five different firms here in Austin, including Jackrabbit Mobile. Someone on our team knew one of their partners. We got quotes from all of them and got to know them. We chose Jackrabbit because, right from the beginning, we were talking to the people who would actually be building the app. With the other companies, we were just talking to salespeople. We wanted someone who took our work seriously, and Jackrabbit did. Also, their quote was the lowest one we received.

Can you provide a ballpark dollar figure for the size of the work that they did for you?

The project came in somewhere between $10,000 and $50,000.

What were the results of the project?

The project began in the winter of 2012 and was released in the spring of 2013. From the first meeting with Jackrabbit Mobile to the actual release of the app was about three months.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

We got lots of great press, and our work was reported on in numerous news stories. We got what we wanted, which was to get our information out there so that it could inform the legislative process and the public around the issues that we study. We understand that the app was instrumental in making policy change possible here in Texas. To our funder, this was the most impactful thing we did with the grant. It was a smashing success.

Is there anything unique about Jackrabbit Mobile that really makes them stand out compared to other companies?

Right before the release, their team came together and fixed all these crazy coding errors that were coming from our side. They worked together well under pressure and delivered in the face of a really tight deadline. They really took me seriously and treated me with respect.

Looking back on the work so far, is there any area that you think Jackrabbit Mobile could improve upon or something that you might do differently?

No. I think they did a good job, and we knew exactly what to expect.

Overall Score We were very happy with their work.
    I already have.

Mobile Application Development for SWE

"We’ve had nothing but positive responses to the app."

2013 - Ongoing

Jackrabbit Mobile developed a mobile app for an education non-profit that allowed users to take quizzes, share results on social media, and receive messages and notifications.

Washington, DC Metro Area
Jane Nickels
Director of Education, Society of Wine Educators

In the first three months, the app was downloaded 4,000 times, yielded promising leads, and has received very positive feedback from its users. Jackrabbit Mobile earned recognition for their marketing skills and fresh perspectives on customer engagement.

Please provide a description of your company.

We are the Society of Wine Educators, and we’re located in Washington, D.C. We provide education and certification to wine and spirits professionals throughout the world.

What are your role and responsibilities?

I’m the director of education. I am responsible for all of our education and certification programs.

What was your goal for working with Jackrabbit Mobile?

We wanted to improve our marketing capabilities so that our programs could get much wider exposure and reach a much wider audience.

They helped us develop a mobile app for our "Wine and Spirits Quiz." Users can share the app across their social networks and work through the various levels of the quiz. The app even allows us to send updates, messages, and special notifications to our users.

What was your process for selecting Jackrabbit Mobile with which to work?

I began with a web search and initially identified five different companies. I chose Jackrabbit Mobile based on their service and their proposal.

What were the results of the project?

We had a release party at our conference a few months ago in Seattle, and the app received a very positive response. Several people from Jackrabbit came out to help us with the release, which was just great. Our relationship with Jackrabbit began in 2013, and remains ongoing.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

I’m not the person who deals with metrics, but I do know that we’ve had more than 4,000 downloads since the release and have generated quite a number of promising leads. We’ve had nothing but positive responses to the app.

Jackrabbit’s strength is in marketing and what I can only describe as energy. They were wonderful people to work with. We’re an older organization, so we were looking for Jackrabbit to come in and give us a more youthful perspective, and they did an excellent job of that.

No. We were satisfied with the project from start to finish.