Leading Toronto based UX/UI design agency

Interpix Design is a leading UX/UI design agency located in Toronto, Canada. Founded in 1995, Interpix specializes in solving usability problems and has helped some of Canada's most successful companies perfect their digital customer experiences. We are experts in user experience (UX) and user interface (UI) design, responsive web design and mobile application development.

We have the proven digital design expertise to enhance the usability of your existing digital products – or build you pixel perfect experiences from the ground-up.

1995
Oakville, Canada

TERANET, DoProcess, Fidelity Investments Canada, National Bank Financial, CIBC, Purolator, RBC Royal Bank, Tangerine, Region of Peel.

UX Strategy and Usability Testing for Mobile Wallet

"We worked toward the same goals and were both invested in making things work."

Sept. 2013 - Jun. 2015

Interpix Design Inc. designed the UX for a mobile wallet app, translating goals elicited through internal interviews into product requirements. They also integrated feedback from usability concept tests.

Sr. Manager, Financial Services Company

Adjusting their recommendations to the capabilities and desires of the client, Interpix Design Inc. prioritized the most impactful changes. They morphed into an authentic partner throughout the project, responding quickly and taking ownership. Customers can expect a committed partner.

I was a senior manager at a financial services company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Interpix Design Inc.?

We were focused on a mobile wallet app and needed someone to provide UX development and design our app architecture. We were a small organization and didn’t have the necessary design resources in-house.

The project was brand new to the market, and Interpix came on in the very beginning, when we were envisioning what the app should look like, what its look and feel should be, and what considerations we needed to make to get it ready.

We actually went through the process twice: once when we launched the organization and once when we changed directions post-launch. For the post-launch effort, they held a series of interviews with our key executives and key mid-level individuals across all teams (tech to product to operations). This solidified their understanding of what we wanted to portray from a brand perspective, as well as our short- and medium-term goals.

While we were in development, they did a series of concept and usability test with potential users to understand what worked and what didn’t, fleshing out the mental model our users had.

Murray was my main point of contact. He had a core team (2–3 people) that worked with my team.

How did you come to work with Interpix Design Inc.?

They were brought in by one of the original partners before I came onboard. We renewed the contract after I started because we were happy with what they were doing.

We worked together from September 2013 until June 2015.

Their strongest aspect was being our north star, guiding our vision to what we ultimately needed the most. Because we were a small organization with a small product, we couldn’t implement all their recommendation. They helped us evaluate our design priorities and sequence their implementation to align with our desires.

How did Interpix Design Inc. perform from a project management standpoint?

They were absolutely terrific on responsiveness. Though they had their own tools, they adapted to our preferred tools. Communication was open and forward. We had no concerns whatsoever.

Despite not having a ton of experience with mobile apps or mobile wallets, they became a true extension of the team, caring just as much about the product as we did. They took ownership and accountability for it, which was nice to see. We worked toward the same goals and were both invested in making things work.

There were no real issues or points of contention. If anything small did arise, it was quickly addressed.

Communicate openly what works well for you. Help them understand what you’re trying to accomplish and what your limits are. Open information sharing will help them adapt their recommendations to your capabilities.

UX Optimization for IoT Marketplace

"Whenever I have a need, it's a no-brainer to hire them because they're the best I've ever seen at what they do."

Interpix Design Inc. redesigned a Salesforce web tool to optimize UX as part of a long-term design partnership.

10,000+ Employee

Stephen Eyre
Former Director, TELUS

Their design efforts have improved the tool’s layout, introduced transparency of information, and optimized team efficiency. The new tool has also received positive feedback from business partners who use it. Interpix Design Inc. is a reliable team dedicated to intuitive customer interaction.

I’m the area vice president for cloud and smart home solutions at Calix, a telecommunications provider offering infrastructure solutions to the worldwide telecom market as well as the business side. I run the Salesforce, offering SaaS for marketing departments, for call centers, and for smart home platforms and offerings.

What challenge were you trying to address with Interpix Design Inc.?

I’ve hired them three times, with previous engagements when I was at Microsoft and when I was at TELUS. I’m in the process right now of bringing them to work with Calix. I needed them to redesign web tools to improve customer experience and UI/UX.

When I was at TELUS, I was the product manager for the IoT group, with the goal of bringing IoT solutions to the commercial sector in Canada. We weren’t working on smart home solutions, but smart business. We strategized which industries we would go after and then created a partner ecosystem where we would source solutions from the marketplace and curate them for Canadian businesses. Part of that was physically creating that ecosystem of partners and then assorting them to Canadian businesses, but also providing a way for those companies to manage their business with us.

I would typically have a conversation with one of my partners and ask them how they’re going to grow their business. I would show them how I can help them grow through connecting them with the Salesforce we had at TELUS. We got hundreds of companies to join our marketplace with these offers, and as our business grew, the physical infrastructure for managing those partner relationships became quite cumbersome.

I inherited a web tool with TELUS, and I found it difficult to show the individual solutions that we had on offer. I needed functionalities for revenue, sales funnels, and contact management. There’s a whole back office required to partner with those hundreds of companies. When I inherited that website, it was interesting, but very broken from a usability point of view.

I called up Interpix Design Inc. and asked them to rethink the UX design and customer interaction of the web tool. They came in and did that and gave it a whole redesign. It wasn’t a facelift, but an effort to understand the needs of our customers and how they wanted to interact to get the information they need. I also needed them to understand my needs in running the web tool. They took on this challenge and did a great job.

When I first brought Murray (Managing Partner, Interpix Design Inc.) in, he and Gerett (User Experience Designer) took my colleagues through what the company could do. We were then assigned a team of four five people, including a project manager and a designer.

How did you come to work with Interpix Design Inc.?

I'm very good friends with the founder, Murray. He and I both worked at Royal Bank 35 years ago, and when I started my first consulting company, he was my first hire. Later, after I had joined Microsoft, Murray went on and grew Interpix Design Inc. from really nothing into a very successful worldwide brand today. Whenever I have a need, it's a no-brainer to hire them because they're the best I've ever seen at what they do.

We spent somewhere between $40,000–$100,000 Canadian ($30,000–$75,000 USD).

We worked together for four or five months in 2016.

The website was pretty well-instrumented, but I don’t think we kept records of their time commitments. I can now do more and my team spends less time on the website. Things are much clearer on the layout and much more compatible with what we actually do and how we work. The anecdotal feedback I got from the partner community was that the redesigned web tool was easier to understand. From my point of view as the person managing those partnerships, I have levels of transparency of information I just didn't have before.

How did Interpix Design Inc. perform from a project management standpoint?

They're relentless about meeting their deadlines, so they are on us all the time to make sure that we hold up our end of the bargain. In talking to their leadership team, it's one of the things that they’ve really focused on over the years and I think it's helped them grow, because we all know most projects slip. They are just maniacal at making sure that they always hit their timelines.

We worked through and then we had check points with Murray and some of his key people as needed as the project went along, but I really handed it off to my team and just watched as things progressed. I checked in at the various management checkpoints and then happily paid the bill at the end. We communicated through email and phone meetings. I think we had a team site where we exchanged collateral.

The reason that I go back to them all the time is that 20 years ago, this was a science that no one really knew about. The reality is humans haven't evolved for 20,00 years, so we interact the same way with the world and technology. Even though everyone thinks we've changed dramatically, there are absolutely ways in which we do and don't perform well, and it was interesting back then to have a company that was born and bred specifically on human computer interaction and the science behind it.

I find the problem you have now is that many design firms, web agencies, or digital agencies have understood the fashionable nature of this discipline and they have assigned their design teams all sorts of non-credentials claiming they do this, but they frankly don't. There are lots of agencies that can design things that look pretty and they're impossible to use. Interpix Design Inc. has designers who can mock things up, but their bread and butter is the science of how humans interact with technology. That is their concern and their focus and they really force their customers to make sure that what they're designing is actually easy for humans. And that's why they've always stood out to me.

Their work has never been deficient. Being a small company, they're always sort of pulled here and there, so getting into their schedule is hard, but they’re good about hitting their deadlines. I'd love if they had more capacity, but I’d also love if there were more concert violinists or another Mozart. There just aren't that many around.

If you're going to engage with them, make sure you as an individual leader and decision-maker understand what they're doing. You're going to need to fight for them because the reality is you're going to hit three issues. For one, you're going to hit them criticizing the design that someone else did, and in turn they're going to hear “You're calling my baby ugly,” so that's one. The second one is you're going to get into a fight over preference, over whether people like pink versus blue, which absolutely doesn't matter. Third, you’ll have the engineers and the software developers tell you that what's being asked for is too hard.

If you believe in what you're doing and really think that it's worth bringing in these professionals, you need to do what they tell you to do and defend the integrity of what they're recommending. That's the hardest job in hiring them.

Overall Score They're an absolute no-brainer.
    They’re just ruthless about hitting their deadlines.
    This is expensive work, but the value is absolutely there.
    I do it all the time.

UX Redesign for Financial Software Company

"They've earned our trust and we look forward to working with them on larger projects in the near future."

May - Aug. 2018

Interpix Design Inc. improved the UX of a customer-facing client portal. They worked on a series of design reviews, refining concepts from an initial redesign through discussion and feedback.

Kitchener, Canada
Samantha Ko
Product Manager, Covarity Inc.

Interpix Design Inc. provided detailed design suggestions, creating a high-quality end product. Users found the new client modern and seamless and responded positively to the changes. Interpix Design Inc.'s meetings and workflow were productive, and their team communicated well.

I'm the product manager at Covarity Inc, a Constellation Software company that provides web-based commercial loan management software to financial institutions. I oversee product design and manage software release cycles.

For what projects/services did your company hire Interpix Design Inc.?

Our "Client Portal", used by our customers' clients, had not been updated in several years. As the portal was in need of significant technical upgrades, we took the opportunity to also address usability challenges that could not previously be addressed. We engaged with Interpix to assist us in improving the user experience while our development team focused on technical upgrades.

We wanted to increase customers' client satisfaction with and usage of the portal, which would ultimately lead to better operational efficiency for our customers. We also looked forward to presenting a fresh, streamlined user experience to prospective customers.

We searched for local vendors online, selecting 3 candidates based on both website profiles as well as reviews on Clutch. We also considered an additional vendor (not Interpix) that had been referred to us.

After interviewing each of the candidates, we felt that Interpix was the best fit in these areas:

• They understood and had prior experience with financial software (a.k.a they already had a good understanding of our customers)
  • They anticipated our specific needs in terms of white-labeling and conforming to web accessibility standards before we even mentioned them
  • Their questions were very targeted and they were very clear in terms of what to expect from them in services relative to what information we could provide throughout the project such as metrics and engagement with stakeholders and end users

For our particular project and dev team, they did not pressure us into purchasing pixel-perfect prototype widgets (though they do offer this in general) or push us towards any particular front-end technology or proprietary tools.

We opted to engage Interpix for a series of design reviews, rather than design from scratch. We started with a meeting to demo and discuss the old portal. We sent them our initial redesign in the form of a high-fidelity prototype, relevant stats and anecdotal feedback we collected from customers over the years. They then sent us their first review with several sketched suggestions. We had a followup meeting to discuss the review, which led to fundamental changes in layout, as well as visual and linguistic refinements.

After incorporating a first round of changes, we collected feedback from our customers (as we were not able to facilitate direct communication between them and Interpix), made further design changes, and received a second review from Interpix. Discussions led to yet more changes and refinements. We ended up with a portal that roughly followed our initial ideas for redesign, but was much better refined than what we would have ended up with without Interpix consultation.

There were two primary designers involved, as well as a junior designer and our main sales contact. All four members were available throughout the project.

Sometimes no news is good news. Our customers' largest concern was that users would not be able to handle the change management, but they took it in stride and the feedback we did receive was very positive.

Because Interpix took the time to explain in detail the reasons for their design suggestions, we were able to apply those principles and make adjustments ourselves as we received feedback on a couple minor usability issues. Product demos to prospective clients went over very well. Some prospects' reactions were of "surprise" at how modern and seamless the experience was.

The workflow was effective. We had productive design discussions over screen share. Easy communication and exchange of ideas.

They knew our business. They took the time to understand and also to question our assumptions about our end users. They were able to observe where we struggled and take initiative in refocusing and steering us in the right direction throughout the design process.

There is always room for improvement, but overall for the scope of the project we were very impressed. They've earned our trust and we look forward to working with them on larger projects in the near future.

Overall Score Overall excellent experience.
    Very prompt on deliverables and addressing questions/concerns. Some awkwardness in administrative details but nothing that delayed the project.
    It seemed on par with industry standards. Interpix was transparent about potential additional costs, which we fortunately did not run into.

UI Design and Dev for Pharmaceutical Company

“Unlike other companies I’ve worked with, they wanted to create the best solution instead of just taking orders.”

2017-Ongoing

Interpix Design Inc developed a platform that allows access to internal analytics and reports. They worked closely with customers to ensure that the interface was user-friendly and intuitive.

Mississauga, Canada
Martin Booth
Director Data Forecasting & Analytics, AstraZeneca

The project has been successful, and other teams within the company plan to implement the same solution. Despite their smaller size, Interpix Design Inc was very responsive and easy to collaborate with. They’re planning to extend their partnership for another development project with the same team.

I am the director of forecasting, analytics, and data excellence at a pharmaceutical company called AstraZeneca.

What challenge were you trying to address with Interpix Design Inc?

We were making several structural changes within our organization, and that included a major data warehousing change. We hired Interpix Design Inc to develop a platform with a user-friendly interface where our sales, marketing, and internal resources could access analytics and reports.

First, the conducted customer interviews to ascertain project priorities and to choose an interface that would best suit the project’s needs. They started with a very simplified version of the product and began adding more details to the design, layout and functional capabilities of the platform.

They then developed several prototypes to determine a simple and intuitive design. Throughout the project, they regularly questioned users so the design and development teams could make informed decisions.

We regularly interact with three individuals, and one developer that did a lot of work behind the scenes.

How did you come to work with Interpix Design Inc?

I believe they were recommended to us. We chose them because they were customer-focused.

We spent between $50,000-$200,000.

We started working together in 2017 and the project is ongoing.

We accomplished all of our objectives and made information more accessible for our user base.

While I don’t have them in front of me, we have metrics that show an increase in the number of people using our platform to consume information on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. By working with users throughout the project, Interpix Design Inc ensured that the platform would be functional and easy to use.

We even showed our solution to a colleague in the US who was facing a similar challenge, and they want to implement it as well. Overall, it was a very positive experience, and I am hoping to work with Interpix Design Inc again to create a customer-facing portal for physicians.

How did Interpix Design Inc perform from a project management standpoint?

They were very flexible and easy to collaborate with. They’re a smaller organization, but they balance all of their clients well. I was always able to reach them. They even responded to service issues we had over a weekend. While they were responsive during the design phase, they’ve gone above and beyond for us even as the project has started to wrap up.

We came into the project with several of our own ideas, but they challenged us to keep an open mind and do our best to meet the customer’s needs. Unlike other companies I’ve worked with, they wanted to create the best solution instead of just taking orders.

There’s nothing I can think of. I’d gladly work with them again.

Citizen-Oriented Digital Experience for Local Waste System

“Their biggest strength is their ability to see the bigger picture.”

June 2015 - 2017

They designed a digital experience to help transition 330,000 households to a new waste management system. Deliverables included user research, UX architecture, screen design, and usability testing.

1,001 - 10,000 Employees

Region of Peel, Canada
Glenn Brunetti
Former Manager of Digital Strategy, Region of Peel

Their citizen-centric digital experience fostered a seamless transition to the new system; internal stakeholders were astonished that the majority of households so quickly aligned with the online offering. Interpix Design Inc.’s excellent project management and strategic approach set them apart.

I was the manager of digital strategy for the Region of Peel, which supports 1.4 million citizens just west of Toronto. I managed the citizen-facing strategy and service delivery operations, which included web, call centers, and service counselors.

What challenge were you trying to address with Interpix Design Inc.?

We needed help transitioning Region of Peel residents to a biweekly, cart-based garbage and recycling collection. We planned to pick up garbage every other week and compost and recycling once a week to divert waste from landfills.

The challenge was to build a digital solution that would support citizens throughout this change, which would take place over a year-and-a-half. We required a digital solution because our call centers and civic counters could not support the 330,000 households impacted by this change.

Interpix Design Inc. designed and developed our digital solution. First, they conducted user research. They tested early prototypes with citizens to see if they understood the waste program and determine what transactional services needed to happen to prepare for the program’s change. The team also considered what questions citizens had and the kind of support they needed.

Then, Interpix Design Inc. entered the design and build phase. The team designed screens and UX architecture. They did iterative usability testing, and we launched in January 2016.

We connected weekly with Murray (Managing Partner, Interpix Design Inc.), our project’s business coordinator. He managed the timelines and brought in resources as needed, whether that was on the design, technology, or accessibility sides. My team also worked with Jamie (Senior UX Designer, Interpix Design Inc.) and Gerett (UX Director, Interpix Design Inc.).

How did you come to work with Interpix Design Inc.?

I’d worked with Interpix Design Inc. on several big projects when I was in another regional government position. Prior to the waste management project, the Region of Peel had engaged them to do some assessments of our digital platform, so we already had them on our vendor record.

For this project, I’d estimate that we spent $300,000–$400,000.

Our work together spanned June 2015–2017.

After we launched the digital solution, 330,000 households within the Region of Peel had three months to select which carts they required for garbage, recycling, and composting. By the end of those three months, 80% of households had completed the selection process; of those, 92% made their choices online. This translates to 220,000 online transactions, versus 18,000 done over the phone, which was quite an astonishing outcome for us.

How did Interpix Design Inc. perform from a project management standpoint?

They were easy to work with from a project management perspective. Interpix Design Inc. met deliverables and worked within the scope. If things changed on our side and we needed to rescope to meet certain deadlines, they were very flexible. We communicated frequently, whether that was meeting up to talk or exchanging emails multiple times throughout the day.

Interpix Design Inc. also met very aggressive timelines. They never did anything to disrupt the timeline in terms of delivering the project; if anything, my team caused delays because it sometimes took longer for us to get approval or book meetings.

Their biggest strength is their ability to see the bigger picture. I’ve worked with other UX companies that focus too narrowly on the scope. For instance, for a service you need to digitalize, other companies would only look at the service, whereas Interpix Design Inc. took a more strategic approach.

Their early discovery phase was very helpful to us. They considered how the service we wanted to bring online might link to other initiatives, as well as possible gaps in the marketplace or confusion amongst citizens. The team looked at broader questions, which they didn’t see as problems, but rather opportunities to reposition things. They approached the discovery phase as a way to conceptualize the solution.

Their early, very strategic understanding of the business environment and the customer leads not only to improvements in a specific service, but often has a bigger impact on the business, which was hugely valuable for us.

After each phase or deliverable, it could be helpful for them to do a project debrief to discuss with their client what they might do differently, what they learned, or what they might apply to the next phase of the project. We did this intuitively, but making it a formal check-in would be beneficial.

Have regular check-ins with Murray as the lead of the firm to ensure there’s always alignment. Make sure you have the most senior person on your project; it’s often the case with firms, not just Interpix Design Inc., that once you negotiate and confirm the project, the more junior staff manages it.

Overall Score Nobody’s perfect, but compared to a lot of other companies, they're very high-performing and offer high-quality deliverables.
    I’m very likely to refer them.