UX/UI Design, Research & Software Development

Interactivism is a digital product design & development studio that helps clients create products and services that are engaging, efficient and easy to use.

Our work has helped create more than $2B in exits over the past 3 years.

Pasadena, CA
  • 40 E Colorado Blvd, Suite A
    Pasadena, CA 91105

From early stage to fortune 500, we are proud of the company we keep.

Dog Vacay, Dollar Shave Club, Drucker Institute, Field Day, Idealab, JPL/NASA, Kin Community, Kyndi, LegalZoom, Meta, Metacloud (Cisco), MeUndies, OpenX, Pubmatic, Raytheon, ReachLocal, Science, Scratch Financial, Singpoli, StyleSaint, Velocify, Zowdow

Brand and Platform MVP for Influencer Content Firm

"They were professional and receptive to our ideas, and we were all quite happy with the end result."

June - Sept. 2014

Interactivism contributed to a branding effort by developing logo files, a style guide, and an image library. They also designed a platform MVP, handling the everything from screen wireframes to final designs.

Santa Monica, California
Jennifer Chang
COO, FanBread

The brand launched using Interactivism's work, which played a role in a successful fundraising effort. Interactivism was open to feedback and kept themselves focused on the task at hand. They adjust to the unique needs and situations of their clients and display excellent responsiveness.

I was the COO of FanBread, a platform that enables digital influencers to quickly design and launch their own content.

For what projects/services did your company hire Interactivism?

We needed someone to develop our brand and style guidelines and design our platform MVP.

We wanted to enter the market with a brand that reflected our company and develop an MVP that incorporated UX best practices.

We reached out to 10 design agencies with our RFP and invited five to make a presentation. The decision-making team included me, our CEO/Founder, and our engineering team.

Interactivism provided three distinct branding options for us. We picked our favorite aspects of each, and they blended them into a new version that reflected our point of view. They then delivered logo files, a style guide, and an image library. Regarding our platform MVP, we provided the requirements, and they worked with us to review each screen, from wireframes to the final design.

For branding, we worked directly with Petra (Partner, Interactivism). For the product design and UX, we worked with Eric (Partner, Interactivism).

They provided us with all the deliverables we requested, and we used their branding to launch our company. We did bring on a freelancer to provide work on a more consistent basis, but we were successful in raising nearly $3 million in venture capital funds.

It was great. They were professional and receptive to our ideas, and we were all quite happy with the result.

Petra and Eric truly understand startups’ needs. They were responsive and worked with us to meet tight deadlines. They also understood how, in the MVP process, they had to focus on the most important things, instead of getting bogged down by unimportant details.

No, not that I saw.

Overall Score It was great to work with you guys!
    Always responsive and easy to work with
    Very competitive rates. They cut out the things that weren't necessary.
    They got us to the milestones we needed to achieve.
    I often refer Interactivism to other startup companies.

UX & Testing for Baseball Platform Startup

"Interactivism is a highly professional team that delivers extraordinary products."

Nov. 2015 - 2017

Interactivism advised a startup on branding and business approaches. They then created visualizations using pre-existing data, designed the UX for an app and developed it, and provided testing.

Mark Goodstein
Co-Founder, Scoutables

While the platform pivoted to a new idea, Interactivism helped build its core concepts. The team delivered high-quality work from start to finish. They quickly grasped concepts and needs that they then conveyed effectively. Customers can expect a skilled team that provides valuable insights.

I’m the co-founder of Scoutables, a baseball insurtech platform. We provide a new way to handle disability insurance for professional sports organizations.

What challenge were you trying to address with Interactivism?

We engaged Interactivism at first to provide branding advice and design services. We ultimately relied on them to help develop our platform’s UX and to test our platform.

Interactivism first helped us identify our brand identity and the value of our assets. We had years of statistical data and applications around major league baseball performance. We considered using the data to build consumer applications, create visualizations of baseball stats, or make gambling tools to predict outcomes. Interactivism helped us test and validate each idea.

We started with a consumer application; Interactivism advised that that approach could bring high value. Our side conducted discovery style interviews to identify potential customers and their wants and needs. Meanwhile, Interactivism built complex visualizations with our data for a variety of purposes. They also designed and developed an iPhone app of our platform. After some testing, however, we decided to pivot our platform to financial services, specifically focusing on the insurance market.

Petra (Partner/Co-founder, Interactivism) served as my main point of contact at first. I then worked closely with Erik (Partner/UX Design & Research, Interactivism) once the project scope changed from brand and design towards developing apps and the platform’s UX.

How did you come to work with Interactivism?

I’ve known Petra for over 20 years; we’ve worked on various startups in the past, and we have similar approaches to innovation. When I started Scoutables, I reached out to her to talk about what we were doing, and we then started working together.

We spent $50,000–$199,999.

We started working together in November 2015 until 2017.

Interactivism set the groundwork for our business before we switched courses into insurance. Their UX design work and their testing brought our platform to where it is today.

How did Interactivism perform from a project management standpoint?

The project ran smoothly from start to finish. Interactivism delivered high-quality products on time and communicated throughout the process. We enjoyed our collaboration so much that we became partners instead of a typical vendor-client relationship. Interactivism invested in equity in our startup while providing their services.

Interactivism adapted to changes and challenges with ease throughout our partnership. They could extract ideas and needs from our team, understand them, and communicate them well. Their execution was outstanding; they provided interactive imagery that responds to people’s inputs and outputs.

No, we were thrilled with their work.

Interactivism is a highly professional team that delivers extraordinary products. We’d be happy to work with them again, which is the highest praise I can give.

UI/UX Design for AI Company

“Interactivism fits in perfectly as a part of our overall team.”

Interactivism provides ongoing interaction, UX, and visual design services. Most of the projects involve complex B2B applications. They collaborate from the concept stage to wireframing and Axure prototyping.

San Mateo, California
Janice Rohn
VP User Experience, Kyndi

Interactivism has cultivated a flawless synergy with the in-house team. They create deliverables that are well-received by users. The team features highly skilled senior resources with impressive design acumen. Pleasant, organized, and talented, they’re a reliable partner that catalyzes growth.

I'm the VP of User Experience for an AI startup.

What challenge were you trying to address with Interactivism?

I've worked with Interactivism at multiple companies over the last six years. When I initially started, I only had a frontend developer and needed more designers than just myself. Based on my past experience with Interactivsm, I knew the team included highly-skilled employees. I wanted to bring them on board as quickly as possible. Additional talented resources would make our projects more successful.

The scope of Interactivism's involvement has varied from company to company. They’ve supported a wide variety of activities over the years including web-based and mobile apps. I provide the requirements, specifications, and some of the design work ahead of time and we work in close collaboration.

For the most part, they've focused on B2B applications on my projects. These products can be very complicated. Creating great, usable designs out of complex concepts requires an exceptional capability to tackle these challenges. Interactivism is highly skilled in this area. Our projects often include brainstorming concepts, interaction design, visual design, and creating Axure prototypes.

I've interacted with at least 7–8 teammates over the years. One person works as part of my team almost full-time. I regularly speak with the co-owners, who are fantastic people.

How did you come to work with Interactivism?

I first met and started working with Erik (Partner, UX Design and Research, Interactivism) in 2012. As he and Petra (Partner and Co-founder, Interactivism) grew Interactivism, I also began to work with Petra, our partnership blossomed, and I continued to work with more people on their team.

I can’t disclose that, but it's a significant amount. Interactivism has been a significant part of my team for the past six years.

We started our most recent project in January 2018. The work is ongoing, so we're still engaged with Interactivism.

Interactivism has an outstanding caliber of talent on their team. Our collaboration is absolutely seamless. Interactivism fits in perfectly as a part of our overall team. They are talented and wonderful people.

How did Interactivism perform from a project management standpoint?

Interactivism is spot on. They are true to their word and excel at project management. Their complete reliability is one of my favorite things about working together. Whenever we discuss the timing and cadence of a complex project, they accurately estimate and deliver the work.

We mostly communicate through videoconference, phone, and e-mail. I usually interface with our points of contact remotely via frequent video conferences, but we occasionally meet in person. Over the years, our communication style has varied depending on where my work has been located. Erik and I started working together in person and forged a strong partnership which has grown ever since.

Interestingly, I’ve managed in-house user experience teams longer than anyone else in the world, and also teach UX professionals worldwide with how to manage teams. I've worked with numerous agencies over the many years I've been in this business. Interactivism is my go-to agency whenever I need extra help with a new project.

Interactivism is absolutely fantastic. The co-founders are always on top of everything. Nothing can be perfect all the time, but they address and resolve anything suboptimal we notice immediately.

Future clients will be lucky to have Interactivism as a partner. I recommend taking full advantage of their creativity and talent. They have amazingly skilled senior resources on their team.

Overall Score I wish I could rate them higher than 5.
    I would absolutely refer them.

UX Design & Analysis for Media Production Company

“Their greatest strength is understanding challenges and coming up with actionable solutions.”

Jan. - Jun. 2018

Interactivism designed and implemented the UI/UX for an innovative platform. They collaborated with an internal team to analyze preexisting issues, comprehend user feedback, and create an effective interface.

1,001-10,000 Employees

Katia Hausman
VP Product Management, Gannett

Interactivism delivered a polished and intuitive UI/UX within a nearly impossible deadline. Users praise the finished product as a new industry staple. Their prior experience with the company informed their knowledge and understanding of the project. They provide expert-level resources.

I’m the VP of product management for ReachLocal. We’re a subsidiary of the newspaper publisher, Gannett Co., Inc. ReachLocal is a digital agency that supports our parent company with technology solutions.

What challenge were you trying to address with Interactivism?

We were building a sophisticated sales enablement platform that would also be client-facing and used for advertising. The goal was to help local businesses understand their digital health and how they could stay competitive. Everything was built from scratch, so it was difficult to develop a set of tools that combined well with the platform. After several unsuccessful programming attempts, we reached out to Interactivism to help us complete the project.

Interactivism’s primary responsibilities involved UX design and analysis. Their role was to internalize user feedback, understand the complexities of different products, and develop a smooth UI/UX. They quickly grasped the issues we were experiencing and analyzed what was needed to design an interface that was conducive to user engagement.

Their team held user interviews to deliver the product quickly and with the least amount of iterations possible. That effort helped move the project along seamlessly. They used InVision to demonstrate potential workflows, and Zeplin to share design screens. They may have implemented other technologies internally, but those were the mainstream UX applications used to show their work.

The project was extremely hands-on, so we didn’t have assigned project or account managers. I worked directly with their team while building the product.

How did you come to work with Interactivism?

We were lucky enough to have partnered with them before this project. They’d helped us design the client center portal that serves as the reporting side of our business. Therefore, it felt natural to go back to them for help with another front-facing product. Additionally, we knew they’re capable of delivering high-quality products within incredibly short deadlines.

We spent roughly $200,000.

This project took place from January–June 2018.

Quantitatively, we have a high adoption rate from a user base that’s difficult to please. People were excited about using the platform designed by Interactivism. They found it found it fresh, exciting, and fun to use. Our feedback seems to indicate that the toolset provided is one of the better products to hit the market in several years. Even though Interactivism didn’t build the backend, their design contributed to the platform’s overall usability.

How did Interactivism perform from a project management standpoint?

It’s beneficial to have a partner like Interactivism because they’re vested in the success of our project. They’re also incredibly organized and timely. We had regular meetings and check-ins with them. Internally, our team had a lot of other priorities, but Interactivism did an outstanding job of keeping us on schedule and within budget. They communicated effectively throughout the engagement.

I was impressed with how quickly they were able to understand the project’s nuances and build a solution that addressed our previous issues. Most external partners will generically deliver solutions, but Interactivism’s understanding of our industry made it possible for them to succeed on a new level. That made all the difference.

They offered a lot of expertise that we didn’t have internally. It was great to have a partner that could provide valuable advice. Their ability to produce exceptional work under aggressive deadlines further sets them apart from similar firms. They’re phenomenal.

No. We worked so well together that I can’t think of anything they could’ve done differently. Some parts of the exploration process may have side-tracked us a bit, but that was needed at the time. They were in-tune with what we needed, and that helped us a lot.

Clients should engage them by communicating the problem and not requesting a specific solution. Their greatest strength is understanding challenges and coming up with actionable solutions. This approach will allow clients to utilize them to their full potential.

They delivered a suitable product for what we paid.
    I’d recommend them in a heartbeat.

UI/UX Design for Women's Fashion Site

"They alleviated any concerns I had about the process with how well they managed the project."

2015 - 2016

While the technology was developed in-house, Interactivism developed the UX design for a new drag-and-drop photo-editing functionality on a website to increase engagement and promote content sharing.

Allison Beal
CEO, StyleSaint

The feature, which prompted users to create fashionable lookbook mood boards, was used by several thousand users upon its launch and resulted in longer sessions on the website. Interactivism’s wealth of UX design experience was valuable during ideation and production processes.

I am the owner and founder of StyleSaint, a women’s apparel company in Los Angeles. We started as a social community that allowed women to share their favorite looks and trends. Over time, we've built a fashion brand out of that inspiration.

What challenge were you trying to address with Interactivism?

We were trying to increase engagement and promote the sharing of ideas on our website. Our main priority was to develop a tool that would allow site visitors to build a lookbook mood board in a dynamic way. This way, visitors could create original content and increase the time spent on our site. We reached out to Interactivism to handle the UX design for this feature.

We collaborated with them to ideate the mood board concept and examine why our customers would be inclined to use it. We came up with a photo-editing concept, which allows users to drag and drop fashion ideas from around the internet into their profile on our site and arrange them on a mood board template. Interactivism developed the UX design for this function, and my in-house team developed the technical aspects.

We worked directly with the partner and a graphic designer.

How did you come to work with Interactivism?

They were recommended to me by an investor or another colleague.

We spent less than $50,000.

We worked together in 2015–2016.

The mood board functionality is very intuitive and, we believe, primarily responsible for the top 5% of our most active users averaging 45 minutes on our site. Several thousand users published mood boards they had created.

How did Interactivism perform from a project management standpoint?

They alleviated any concerns I had about the process with how well they managed the project. They set the timeline and specific goals and met every one. We worked well together through phone calls and held video calls for screen sharing using Zoom.

Their knowledge of UX/UI was tremendous. I’ve worked with several other providers, and, although Interactivism wasn't the least expensive option, they were by far the best.

No. They were available whenever I needed them, completed the project faster than expected, and were mindful of the budget. I’m very satisfied.

Sometimes it's best to do things once and do them correctly as opposed to revisiting the same issues down the line. Therefore, it’s important to dedicate the financial resources necessary to find the best firm.