Your reliable software & hardware partner

Key competencies: embedded development, IoT, hardware & firmware development, robot development. Turnkey solutions and device prototyping.

Integra Sources is an experienced team specializes in various areas such as:

— Embedded system development (firmware development, Linux, RTOS, low-level programming, FPGA)

— Custom software development (business solutions, web-programming, image processing and game development)

— Mobile development (native and cross-platform development, connectivity to devices)

— Hardware development (schematics, PCB design, prototyping, different architectures, sensors and wireless modules)

— Internet of Things (develop IoT devices, cloud solutions, data analysis and machine learning)

— Robot development (flying drones, wheeled and articulated robots, positioning, image processing and behavior programming)

We really love challenging tasks in these areas and you can be sure you will get excellent results.

Barnaul, Russia
  • INTEGRA SOURCES
    Lenina, 154A
    Barnaul, ALT 656037
    Russia

Simple Robots, GeoMoby, DaVinci Learning, University of East London, Visybl, ION Motion Control, GP2U, Theradome, HappyCode, Handscape

Firmware Device for Music Gear Tech Company

“Their functionality and reliability are perfect… and the product works flawlessly.”

Feb. - Oct. 2017

Integra Sources conceptualized the firmware, PCB, and physical enclosure for a Bluetooth-enabled device for musicians. The product works in tandem with iOS, Android, Mac, and PC platforms.

Washington
Owner, Music Gear Tech Company

Integra Sources provided a bug-free design, and connections to expert manufacturers. Though slow in the warmup period, they codified their process and provided a strong product.

We develop music gear and products to improve musicians’ performance abilities. I’m the owner.

What challenge were you trying to address with Integra Sources?

We had not done Bluetooth work on our own, and needed an expert to help us develop a Bluetooth-equipped guitar pedal.

The pedal connects to Bluetooth devices to control a myriad of functions, from controlling effects and amplifiers to starting and stopping recording software, with several other features. We wanted it to work with every Bluetooth device on the market, so wanted to be sure it would work in tandem with iOS, Android, Mac, and PC platforms.

They developed everything from the ground up, including the firmware and PCB [printed control board]. They also provided CAD models to visualize the enclosure. We were responsible for sourcing the products, but they made suggestions to complete the physical build. I’m currently sourcing, manufacturing, and bringing the pedal to market.

There were five or six people on their team, and most of our early interaction was through Basecamp. We transitioned to Skype, as I was already using it for other vendors throughout a typical day.

How did you come to work with Integra Sources?

We posted an ad on Upwork, and interviewed 10–12 companies that specialized in low-energy Bluetooth development. Integra had the best communication, mixed with an affordable price range.

Our total is around $12,000.

The project lasted from February to October 2017. I recently realized the design doesn’t include enough SMT [surface mounting technology] components, so we may rehire them in the future to make modifications and bring our manufacturing cost down.

We’re currently running a Kickstarter campaign, and sales will go live in a couple of months. The product works flawlessly, and there are no outstanding bugs or issues. All the influencers who test it  love it.

How did Integra Sources perform from a project management standpoint?

Their functionality and reliability are perfect. The start of the project was a little slower than I hoped for, but after the first month or two, they figured out our style and kept things moving. After the initial kickoff, the process was quick and seamless, and communication was good.

They did a great job resourcing and networking with other manufacturers. They provided options I wouldn’t have known about. All of our past projects were simpler and didn’t require the kind of expertise our new manufacturer has.

They had a little difficulty early on, but that improved quickly, and they ultimately made exactly what I wanted.

Software Dev for Robot Programming Startup

"[INTEGRA] will go out of their way to find something which fits us."

Aug. 2016 - Ongoing

Integra Sources developed software for a tech startup based in Taiwan that focuses on using robots to help teach kids how to code.

Taipei, Taiwan
Joseph Millogo
Director of Ciriculum, DaVinci Innovation Labs

Integra rewrote software that allowed the startup to improve upon existing software for the robot, which in turn improved the way the kids were taught to code. Integra also found an easier way to connect the robots to PCs. The ability to customize software for the client was key to their success.

DaVinci Labs is a startup based in Taiwan. We’ve been operating for two and a half years, and focus on using robots in order to teach 9-16-year-olds how to code. We are using Python for building different types of interfaces, and robots such as Lego Mindstorms EV3, Vex and Makeblock’s Mbot, in order to give students different challenges, in the hope to see a progression. I am the curriculum director of the company, in charge of our course content.

What challenge were you trying to address with INTEGRA SOURCES?

From the beginning, we aimed not to become a mainstream company. There are many groups out there trying to create coding classes, but most end up with a mechanical approach, telling kids to build robots. Coding is usually a small part of the process. We wanted to find a company who could help build an interface which would allow students to actually learn how to code, and focus less on the building.

We went to INTEGRA with the idea of bridging visual and native programming. They built a whole library for a new robot we wanted to deploy, using the Google Blockly concept. We had new blocks and Python code, using a whole new platform.

We’re currently using EV3 with Google Blockly, and the aim is to go to Python. Their team helped us rewrite the whole library in a way which allowed us to make use of Google Blockly on an EV3 robot.

They assigned someone to interface between us and them. He was in charge of the whole project, and came up with the whole plan. I believe there were separate teams for hardware and software components. We started work on the Mbot parts, and are now working on software development.

How did you come to work with INTEGRA SOURCES?

When we started working with them, I was not yet a part of the company. I believe we found them on Upwork.

They had a flat $35 per hour fee, regardless of how many people were working on the project.

We started working with INTEGRA in August 2016.

The most impressive thing they’ve done for us has been the rewriting of our entire library. We are currently using a platform which could not run native Python normally, but we have this ability. INTEGRA wrote a whole new firmware and installed it on the hardware. The most interesting thing is that the actual manufacturers of our robots are using a whole different approach. We’ve told them that we actually have a better solution than them, and tried to make a deal.

They’re very practical and have a lot of experience from working in different fields. We had a lot of problems connecting our robots to PCs. INTEGRA suggested that we use a wireless connection, which would be more reliable, faster and safer. It was a big jump for us, and I’m happy with the output.

How did INTEGRA SOURCES perform from a project management standpoint?

I’m not sure what their internal structure is, but they have a large and talented team, with enough manpower. They’ve worked long hours to make sure everything was done in time. We were in touch even during weekends and after working hours. I could write them at 11 PM, and still receive a reply. We have good communication, and are friendly to each other.

Although INTEGRA is a professional company, they still remember the importance of client communication, and have tried to make it enjoyable. We do our job with a smile on our face, and I’ve never had a situation of needing to contact someone on their side, and not getting through. I have nothing negative to say in this regard.

The communication and the simple fact that we can customize whatever we’re looking for. They will go out of their way to find something which fits us. Services in Taiwan are much cheaper, but there are limitations to what we can do locally. We haven’t seen this with INTEGRA—if something is more efficient, they will go for it. They’ve made research on what the best approach for our issue is, and bring back multiple options. This is the main thing which separates them from the bunch.

There is currently an embargo with Russia, which has made payments difficult. This is not INTEGRA’s fault; it’s simply a problem on our side we haven’t found a solution for. I can’t think of anything specifically relating to them.

Overall Score I have no complaints.
    Always on time.
    They’re less expensive than many other developers.
    I’m very satisfied.
    We’ve already done it.

Software Dev for Measurement Equipment Dev Company

"... ... these guys always suggest the best ways to complete the tasks once the specification is received."

Integra Sources provided software development sources for a Slovenian measurement equipment manufacturing company. They developed a specific measurement tool for the company.

Slovenia
CTO, Measaurement Equipment Dev Company

Integra Sources' engineering team exceeded expectations. Daily reports on development projects made it easy for the client to stay on top of every task. The team at Integra Sources is easy to talk to, regardless of the topic of discussion.

I am CTO at a Slovenian measurement equipment development company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Integra Sources?

We were looking for a company to provide high level software development services for our device. By that I mean clean and robust code for both frontend and backend with proper documentation.

Integra Sources was involved in the software development for a measurement device of ours. The main programming languages used were C, C++, Java, JavaScript and Python. List of software that was developed included Oscilloscope application, Spectrum analyzer, Logic analyzer with support of UART, SPI and I2C. Integra Sources also developed a bode plotter, application for adjusting system settings, and implemented the licensing procedures for this device (user can buy applications on marketplace).

How did you come to work with Integra Sources?

We surfed through the internet and found IS website, and were impressed by the projects that were implemented by their engineering team. I was also pleased with the sales department. Their managers really tried to help us, not just sell something, which was really important for me.

Around $100,000

We started to work together 2 and a half years ago. Integra Sources team has completed the main tasks and we continue to work on further enhancements of the system as well as in the implementation of new features. And, of course, we have plans for future projects.

Their engineering team always manages to complete all the tasks on time. There were several tasks that were a bit slowed down, and the team had to take extra time to complete the tasks, which is good. At the result of the project, all tasks were completed. What our team really liked about IS is that these guys always provide you with a daily report document and update it each day so we were able track all the activity and add comments on the separate tasks.

I’m more that sure that our feedback can be improved with the time as we continue to work with IS on the project and some other projects as well.

How did Integra Sources perform from a project management standpoint?

We were provided with a project manager with just the right amount of involvement to make sure that everything went well, and there were several misunderstandings, but nothing serious.

As I told you, they provided us with a daily report. They also set up a Basecamp project to have all the documents and all the important information kept there. We asked them to join our Redmine and they did it without any problems.

I would say that communication and high skills are the major factors here. The availability is also good (project and sales managers available on Skype practically the whole day. IS can provide you with a direct access to the developers which is also convenient.

What I personally liked about them is that these guys always suggest the best ways to complete the tasks once the specification is received. It is good to see different options that we have.

Integra's team is not only very professional, but they are also really good partners to speak with. People are not robots and it is impossible to talk about work all the time. So, with IS team we can discuss anything and we appreciate that.

Nothing to say here, guys sometimes took extra time on weekends when our deadlines were really tight. A+ for that.

Firmware Development for Asset Tracking Startup

“Integra is willing to seek out solutions to problems that are not cookie cutter and are important to what we do.”

Jan. 2016 - Ongoing

Integra was hired for their firmware development expertise in order to do embedded programming, design, and development. Having already proven their capabilities, the engagement is ongoing.

Germantown, Maryland
Founder, Asset Tracking Startup

Integra's creative engineers have innovative problem-solving skills and in-depth expertise which make this team a strong partner in their field; their flexibility and affordability allow the relationship to remain sustainable in the long term.

I’m the founder and CEO of a startup that makes an Internet of Things solution for businesses to track physical goods: vehicles, pallets, and people. We make a connected hardware solution that has both hardware components that are connected to the cloud and then we have a cloud component as well.

What challenge were you trying to address with Integra Sources?

Since half of our product portfolio is hardware, which almost always implies firmware, we were looking for firmware development expertise. And that's not easy to come by, especially not at reasonable price points. You can get app and cloud developers across the board, and there are a lot of choices there. We were looking for a company that had the ability to work on specific microcontrollers from different companies. Integra, although located in the middle of Russia, had the exact kind of expertise we were looking for. I think we’ve gotten over the geography challenges during the last 18 months we’ve been working with Integra, and they’ve been doing pretty good work for us. They’ve mainly done embedded programming for us, as well as some design and development.

We make Bluetooth beacons that are different from other Bluetooth beacons because they are deployed in enterprise assets, so there’s a high level of reliability, monitoring, security, etc. Integra wrote the firmware for four or five models of Bluetooth asset beacons. We also have a little gateway device that scans for these beacons and talks to the cloud. Integra's engineers also developed the front-end portion of the firmware.

We give Integra the hardware design, and then they do the firmware on top of that, even though I think they have some expertise on the hardware side as well. I have firmware engineering expertise, but I don't have the time to do that anymore. I would say we depend almost entirely on Integra for firmware work.

How did you come to work with Integra Sources?
I use Upwork a lot, so that’s where I found Integra. My usual practice with Upwork is to create a mini-project — something that’s not expensive or time-consuming — and then have two or three companies or freelancers work on it and then I pick one out of that list. I remember doing this project about 18 months ago. I had a firmware developer in India, another one in the United States, and then Integra. Right now I work mainly with one developer, but over the last year I've worked with at least four people. They all have been able to solve some fairly complex challenges that go beyond just reading the documentation and reading the code and that’s always impressive.

Price was one of the most important aspects in choosing Integra. We did some firmware work with companies here that were north of $140 and $150 an hour, and that was incredibly expensive. I wasn't necessarily looking for the cheapest provider out there, and Integra isn’t, but I think they offer a pretty good balance. In addition to being closer to our point of affordability, Integra's skills are even better than some of the companies I've seen here.

How much have you invested with Integra Source?

I think we spent about $20,000 with Integra last year, and this year we might do at least that, if not more.

We probably started working with Integra in January 2016, and the project is ongoing. Right now, I'm waiting for some folks to come back from vacation, so we can kick off the next phase.

We are a small startup, so we don't keep many metrics. If a solution works, we’re happy. There has been more than one occasion where, especially when we work with fairly new products and/or chip sets, that the lead documentation is insufficient. I have told the Integra engineer to do whatever it takes to solve a problem — go onto public forums or the discussion forums related to that product and post their questions to get the right answer. They have done all of that. I’ve gone to forums, and I’ve seen questions that looks remarkably like what we’ve been asking, only to later find out that our engineer posted it. I think that’s good initiative. Integra is willing to seek out solutions to problems that are not cookie cutter and are important to what we do. We have fairly important clients today for whom we would not have had a solution without the Integra engineer’s creativity.

How did Integra Sources perform from a project management standpoint?

I usually prefer to work with only one developer on a project, but there’s usually another person who fills a project management role. I don't know if that’s what they do as a matter of course, but I always ask for one developer for a certain period of time, so we can get totally immersed and get the job done. I haven't had any problems with Integra’s project management. I usually just tell the project manager to stay out of the way. I’ll say, “I need the engineer for this broad task that may take a couple of weeks.” That way, the project manager knows that, for two weeks, it’s full-time. Toward the end of that period, I might get a message from the project manager saying, “Do you think this is going to go on for another week, or are you ramping down?” and I provide some guidance. We have to shift products back and forth often, and the project manager has taken care of that fairly efficiently. Sometimes the shipment aspect of our work is frustrating, but Integra certainly is not responsible for those political boundaries.

What did you find most impressive about Integra Sources?

I can only speak for the other companies I looked at insofar as them being competitors. I looked at a couple of companies in India, and I think they just wanted to check the box and run. I also worked with another fairly specialized embedded design and programming shop in Portland, but they were extremely expensive, and I'm not sure they would have been comfortable with going out of the box. I think the larger firms tend to stick by their requirements and not stray from them too far. We sometimes don't know what the solution is going to look like, and I certainly think that flexibility is helpful.

Are there any areas Integra Sources could improve?

This isn't all Integra’s problem, but it was difficult getting packages to them in Russia. I think the shipping rules change quite frequently. There have been times when I have followed last month’s instructions only to find that the rules have changed again, and the shipment gets returned to me. That’s happened a few times, though I think we’re past that now.

As a startup, I am very happy with what I'm getting from Integra. If I were a much bigger company, I would probably be looking at a more structured firm, but I actually don't want that much structure. I want problem-solving rather than a straight engineering project.

Overall Score I'd give Integra a 5, no question, and I would continue to use them for that reason.
    The schedule slipped because of the complexities of the project itself. Sometimes in what we do, we don't know which way to go and schedules get affected because of that.
    There are lower cost options available, but in terms of overall value, they are the best.
    I’ve done many projects with them, and they’ve always delivered more than what I expected.
    If potential customers are looking for embedded development, I would recommend Integra 100%. I don't know about the other services Integra provides.

Software Development for Geofencing Solution Company

"They always made sure that the requests were understood and implemented correctly, with all the testing done."

Sep. 2016 - Ongoing

Integra Sources develop software for a location-data intelligence firm. Specifically, they work on the hardware and firmware of a wearable tracking device with a compatible mobile application.

Perth, Australia
Chris Bauda
CEO, GeoMoby

Integra Sources' extensive preparation beforehand helped give confidence to the client that they chose the right partner. Despite the time difference, they are able to stay in constant communication. Integra's dedication to the project has led the client to develop an ongoing relationship.

I am the CEO and founder of GeoMoby. We’re an Australian company based in West Perth and we specialize in location-data intelligence. We’re using technologies like geolocation and geofencing for clients in different industries. At the moment, we mainly focus on construction, mining, and oil and gas.

What challenge were you trying to address with Integra Sources?

We provide a retail Android and iOS app but were working with one specific client who wanted to improve our productivity tracking solution. The challenge we had was to build some sort of wearable device based on our technology, which would be carried by personnel on their helmets. We had absolutely no idea about how to create it since we were being asked to work with a completely different technology compared to what we had been using. We started looking for a company which could work on both hardware and firmware.

We initially worked with an account manager from Integra Sources’ side who filtered our requirements and decided upon the team size and skill sets we needed. After that phase, we were assigned one developer for the firmware, and a couple of specialists for the hardware, as well as a project manager who talked with us on a daily basis to make sure that the timesheets were up to date.

We needed to enhance our Android and iOS SDK [software development kit] and planned the next phase with our account manager. Integra Sources had mobile developers on the team, and we started a new project on this front.

How did you come to work with Integra Sources?

We found Integra Sources through an online search. We were looking to identify five or six companies which had experience in building hardware, but that also had software skills in terms of Android and Python. We looked at Integra Sources’ website, sent them a contact request, and started talking.

How much have you invested with Integra Sources?

The wearable had a cost of around AU $80,000 [US $60,192].

We started working with Integra Sources in September 2016. We’ve completed a few phases of the prototype so far, and Integra Sources is working on the radio frequency stratification at the moment. The Android and iOS SDK development is also ongoing.

The reason I accepted to do a reference interview for Integra Sources is that they’ve been very good end-to-end. They were proactive in asking what we wanted and in making sure that we had the right people in the right place.

We managed to create a prototype for our wearable device in only two months, even though we had no experience in the field. It was quite a challenge; the firmware could work fine with a passive GPS antenna, but when we tested it on our side, it wasn’t working for some reason. We needed to use the GPS in remote areas in North America, and Integra Sources proposed using an active antenna and managed to completely revamp the library for this purpose in only a couple of days in time for our client meeting. It’s now working perfectly in the area we’re operating in.

The hardware part has been good as well. The first printed circuit boards worked fine, and we could use the prototype sent by Integra Sources on the field as a trial. I’ve been impressed by the quality of both their hardware and firmware.

How did Integra Sources perform from a project management standpoint?

Integra Sources put a framework and processes in place, which helped us enhance the communication. We were a bit worried about the fact that they are based in Russia and we’re in Australia, and we had had some negative experiences working with other offshore teams. What really struck me, in the beginning, was that Integra Sources put a number of tools in place, including Basecamp, Google Hangouts, and Google Drive. We could talk directly with the project manager and the developers. Integra Sources gave me the confidence that we chose the right team for the job.

We knew exactly how many hours were being spent each day and on what. We were given minimum and maximum estimates for all the code being built and had an Agile approach to the work. We were able to talk to Integra Sources’ team as we would to our regular employees.

Integra Sources has been proactive in terms of budgets and with how many people were assigned to our work. I was expecting to see work being done on weekends near some deadlines, and that is what Integra Sources has been doing. We appreciated that.

What did you find most impressive about Integra Sources?

Compared to other companies in India and China which I’ve used over time, I appreciated Integra Sources’ communication. It’s a key part of working with offshore teams. Just being able to have a direct line to Integra Sources, as well as a project manager who knew what was going on and developers who could reply to very technical questions, was very impressive. Integra Sources felt like a part of our team; they were completely involved and committed.

Their ability to develop good firmware and hardware gave us confidence straight away. They always made sure that the requests were understood and implemented correctly, with all the testing done. Putting test-driven software in place had always been a problem with our other partners, but Integra Sources handled this from the beginning.

Are there any areas Integra Sources could improve?

I had a chat with our account manager about Integra Sources’ ability to scale the team. We had some tasks which required two developers, but Integra Sources only had one available. If we do expand the team, I would like to see a proper Scrum framework. Our process works fine at the moment since we have a small team.

We didn’t have a complete bug tracking system in the beginning, but one has been implemented. I’ve asked Integra Sources to create a test instance of our firmware so that they can push the device to the maximum. I don’t have much to say beyond this. The entire cycle has been good.

Overall Score Integra Sources has a good cost, good quality, and they deliver on time. They have also been proactive in determining which technology we should use.
    We’ve had to extend a couple of projects.
    We have very good resources for the cost.
    Integra Sources has investees in the Founder Institute in Silicon Valley. I told them I’d be happy to refer them to students and investees, as well as to anyone looking to develop a wearable.

Software Development for Robotics Company

" I also was impressed with the focus displayed toward user features ..."

May 2015 - Ongoing

Integra Sources worked with a consumer robotics company to build and design software and hardware for the construction of a robot lawnmower. The development is still ongoing.

Seattle, Washington
CEO, Simple Robots Inc.

Despite not having completed the project, the client is very pleased with their engineering capabilities in relation to vendors used in the past. Integra Sources does an excellent job of balancing their flexible development work while keeping in mind the end user experience.

I’m the CEO of a consumer robotics company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Integra Sources?

We had worked with an electronics designer who had put together some printed circuit boards for us. We had Integra Sources review those designs, and we were impressed with their reviews. We were less impressed with the company that we were working with, so we ended up continuing the project with Integra Sources.

We also had Integra Sources work on the low-level part of the project, which included device drivers and some of the higher-level logic that allowed the device to perform the function that the customers needed. The customers were building a robot lawnmower.

How did you come to work with Integra Sources?

We found Integra through a referral process. We actually had pre-vetted several companies, and we had reached out to Integra Sources, but they were working on some other projects at the time, and we couldn't get them. We moved forward with one of our other options, and then that was the design that we later asked Integra to review. We decided we liked working with them better, so we continued working with them.

How much have you invested with Integra Sources?

We ended up going through several iterations of the electronics and software designs. It was on the order of magnitude of around $100,000 in total engineering work.

Unfortunately, we haven't launched the product yet, though we plan on launching it shortly. Regarding effectiveness, our software project managers were good at making sure the important topics were addressed quickly. I also was impressed with the focus displayed toward user features by at least a couple of the engineers. While they were delving into how the code works, they also focused on asking what are we delivering for the customers.

How did Integra Sources perform from a project management standpoint?

There were three project managers throughout the project. There was one primary project manager at any time, but I believe their company was growing and hiring additional people, so we worked with different project managers, especially as our focus shifted from the electronics toward the software. I think we worked with four development engineers who were working with fairly low-level, device driver-type software, so it was all in C and C++.

The project management was mostly good. There were a couple of minor issues on the PCB that required us to do an additional iteration, which was unfortunate. We had tested some things, but through miscommunication, we hadn't tested what we thought we had tested, so we had to go back and fix that part. I think I can take a fair part of the blame there too. For the most part, the schedules were realistic, and Integra hit them.

What did you find most impressive about Integra Sources?

Integra delivers what they say they’re going to deliver. I’d say their flexibility is their most impressive feature. They can do the whole stack, from very low-level analog circuits all the way up to and through complex digital circuits and software. I know they can do the higher-level software, but we had that covered for this project, so frankly I don't have any experience with Integra on that sort of thing.

The costs ended up being a little higher than we expected, but that was because we ended up making some changes on our side that were larger than we had expected to make.
    I'd hesitate to give Integra a five just because I'm a perfectionist.
    If I knew somebody who needed, in particular, PCB work, Integra would be the first person I'd reach out to.