Your Enterprise Design and Development Partner

Impekable offers Silicon Valley caliber UI/UX design coupled with mobile and web development capabilities and deep expertise in various industries including enterprise SaaS, IoT, healthcare, legal, fitness and wearables, automotive and more.

Partners and Official Vendors for:

San Jose, CA 95113
    242 Linden St
    Fort Collins, CO 80524
    650-733-6006

Google, HP, Twilio, Motorola, LegalZoom, Constant Contact, Aruba Networks, Zscaler, Accenture, Cognizant.

Product Dev & UI Design for Technology Company

"Impekable can accommodate a lot more unknowns and ambiguity. That’s really where they stand out to me."

Apr. 2017 - Ongoing

Impekable assisted in UI and provided design feedback, based on some initial specs, to a development team working on an SaaS management tool.

Foster City, California
New Ventures Lead

Impekable was superior in handling scope creep and helping spell out new requirements; they handled ambiguity well and were highly accommodating. Impekable had an entrepreneurial approach, and was effective in managing the project as well as delivering high-quality work, despite tight deadlines.

I’m new ventures lead for a high-value back office equipment supplier out of Japan. We usually deal with printers or what we call multi-functional printers, which is a mature business. I work from the Silicon Valley and we’re tasked with developing new business lines, developing new products internally, or making venture capital investments and new partnerships. Basically, we’re trying to discover the next billion-dollar business for our company

What challenge were you trying to address with Impekable?

One effort we’ve got is on the new product development side. A lot of our relationships are in the IT departments of our customers. One premise we have at our BIC [business innovation center] is that the work is SaaS [Software as a Service]-powered.

If you look at that from the IT department’s perspective, historically they’re used to managing a homogeneous software environment with a few vendors installed on machines, typically. Nowadays, with the whole SaaS proliferation, they’re having to manage a very heterogeneous software environment on top of that, and that’s creating a lot of new challenges for them. We took that, and through some research, discovered that companies that use the most SaaS are also the ones that rate highest in productivity, creativity, and loyalty.

Based on those 2 premises: that the future of work is SaaS-powered and that there’s a good correlation with productivity (and that this creates challenges for the IT department), we created a new product to help IT departments manage their multiple SaaS applications. As we had our own engineering group work on it and build it out, we had to bring in a UI consulting and development firm.

It was very hands-on, as we had to figure out the specs and work on UI screenshots. We decided to build the product not knowing exactly what the feature set was going to look like, and they were a part of that discussion. It was a short duration until we had to create a working prototype. A lot of that was on the internal engineering team, but also on them for the UI. That was phase 1. Impekable did that.

It was somewhat of an awkward project. That’s why we needed someone very entrepreneurial. We just completed phase 2 with them, the beta. We had the specifications. We had frozen the specs, so to speak. Phase 2 was a much more normal process for everyone involved. It wasn’t technically complex because we had our own engineering team working on it. Impekable wasn’t building the HTML for us or anything like that. Their job was really making it intuitive and giving creative input on the design itself. They did very well on that.

The difficult piece in the whole project was working where the specs weren’t fully flushed out, like the very beginning of the prototype phase. A lot of designers would have had a very difficult time with that.

How did you come to work with Impekable?

Through a couple of references and consideration of other companies, we ultimately chose Impekable. The deciding factors were price point, experience, reputation, portfolio, and also their ability to handle the nature of the project. It was a unique rush job, not ideal from the designer perspective. We needed to get the prototype done, so we needed someone who could accommodate that and figure out the specs with us as we go, versus, “Here’s the spec. Now go build it.” We were looking for a very entrepreneurial team and they fit that the best.

We started working together April 2017 and the work is ongoing.

The fact that they completed the job and that I’m leaving a review for them says a lot. It was a difficult project because the specs weren’t spelled out. Of course, you’ve got to determine the budget and the scope of work up front. We went through that process with the understanding that it was somewhat of a guess. We went well over the hours allotted, and the scope of work changed as we defined and refined the feature set of the prototype. They behaved very well in that regard. It was uncomfortable for everyone, but they worked very well in that environment.

We’ve had a very good phase 2 for the beta, which was much better defined at the get-go. The success here is that they’re a very entrepreneurial team. They’re willing to work with large and small customers, both on well-defined and not-well-defined projects. They’re very good at that.

How did Impekable perform from a project management standpoint?

We communicated through Slack and JIRA. The highlight is they were often transparently working on our site with their full team. Given the nature of the project, that was really essential. If we didn’t see them there, we’d do video chats. During the phase 2, the key designer actually spent most of his day, most of the week, on our site, which was very helpful. It makes the flow of the whole project that much more entrepreneurial and that much more accommodating.

I’ve only been here for a short period of time, but certainly my general experience is that some companies require those upfront specifications, but some like Impekable can accommodate a lot more unknowns and ambiguity. That’s really where they stand out to me. Some firms really don’t do well in that. As far as the UI itself, they do a good job. We’re really pleased with the UI product.

No, nothing comes to mind.

MVP Development for HR Tech Startup

"They’re capable and confident, but not cocky. They’re communicative without being excessive or pesky."

Mar. 2017 - Ongoing

Impekable first scoped the project and the product's design. The assembled dev team then built the platform from scratch, which streamlines employee/employer reviews and aggregates the data into useful metrics.

CEO

Professional, straightforward and always open to discussing new ideas. Impekable is not to be underestimated when it comes to engineering or UX design. The technologists working behind the scenes draw from deep industry experience when delivering client solutions.

I'm building a platform in the HR management software space. We provide a platform for a 360 review in more of a fast-paced environment.

What challenge were you trying to address with Impekable?

A classical 360 review involves giving feedback to your peers, your subordinates, support staff, as well as your supervisor or administrative staff, so up, down, left, and right. It usually takes a very long time because there’s a lot of paperwork with very long-winded questions. It just sucks the energy out of everybody after they do one or two. We wanted to change that around, make it like a nomination. Once every week you basically pick someone you want to recognize for doing a great job in a certain way. It’s always the same seven ways, and you just put in a name for each. It’s very simplistic.

It can aggregate all that data and determine quality employees’ strength profiles. Later on, when you’re looking to promote or transition someone, or they request a career shift within the company, you’ll know ahead of time whether they’ll be a good fit in that department or position. It’s basically crowd-sourcing within companies – hopefully, many companies – what they can expect out of their work team, and what their work team can expect out of each other. The way to give an incentive to use it is that, as employees get feedback, they also accumulate points and credits that can be converted into gifts or company benefits. An example could be an Amazon gift card, Uber credit, a Starbucks gift card, or a straight cash bonus, vacation days, whatever the company wants to set up as their prizes.

There’s a big data analytics side to this that’s under development. It’s not part of the MVP, but we’re looking to use that to get a lot of insight, kind of a study as to how companies work on a human level, the human virtues and strengths that are valuable, and we hope to learn a lot.

We had a mutual NDA, and they were very professional about that. Then we started off giving them an outline, a patent-pending pseudo-code for where we want this app to go. From that, they were able to give us a solid quotation. Their terms and conditions made sense to us and we went forward. They essentially developed the whole app.

They started off with a story-boarded check-in with us to confirm their understanding of our expectations. They did a sophisticated slideshow mockup to give us a good idea of what the UX/UI would feel like. It took them some time to really understand what the patent involved and all the pseudo-code. Once they had a grasp of that, we had a separate meeting on how to develop the backend, how to cloud host this, and things like that.

From there, they primarily focused on the backend, and I agreed with that. They wireframed everything and communicated with me at least weekly on where the wireframe is headed, the problems they were running into, the questions they had about the vision, and where our pseudo-code wasn’t quite clear. We also worked on a few simulations on Excel, to see if the data would work the way we wanted. The Excel spreadsheet we created for them was also a form of QC. If what they were building came out with the same outputs and the Excel prototype, then we’re good.

After that, we revisited some of the more cosmetic or UX type of issues. It was an iterative process. We’re currently four months into the development, and they mostly lived up to the schedule. I’m very happy about that.

It’s hard for me to gauge the size of the team. I’ve been working with four people directly, but I’m sure there were a lot more programmers, engineers, designers, and artists in the background, so I don’t know the full head-count. I was working directly with a project manager, who also functioned as the UX/UI designer. I was also working with a coordinator to ensure everyone was on the same page. There was a programmer with whom I interacted directly, and I’m sure he had a lot of staff under him to get all the backend stuff going. I was also in touch with Pek [Pongpaet, Managing Partner].

How did you come to work with Impekable?

I started with Google, and Clutch pages showed up on top in that search. I went onto the Clutch site and browsed around, looked at your reporting process, and it made a lot of sense. I particularly liked the bar chart that shows the primary focus of the companies; whether they focus on design or programming, more web or mobile. That gave me a good understanding of the core capabilities I was looking to match up with. I found four app developers that made sense to me. I got quotations from three of them, but one was two months too late in giving me a quote. The prices from the three quotes were all over the place, although I’d given them all the same document and outline.

I visited two offices, and I really appreciated Pek’s straightforward demeanor. He’s very professional, but also open to ideas and friendly. It seemed like it would be a good fit. I liked the way he and his staff interacted. He seemed like a very good leader, and that made a big difference. The other company I visited was very showboat-y. I had two salespeople trying to talk to me at the same time, and it was constant advertising. I couldn’t quite dive into the project, there wasn’t a lot of listening, and the price was double what Impekable offered.

We started working together in March of this year, and our relationship is ongoing. We’re live testing it now, and it’s achieved the minimum viable product status.

We started using it last week, so we haven’t gotten a lot of feedback yet. I’m meeting with Pek this afternoon to talk about any feedback that’s been posted. There’s probably a little more development left, maybe 25% more work to fix bugs, tweak an algorithm, change the location of a button, just some small on-boarding flaws or problems. That was essentially in our contract, but it’s always hard to define when you cut off and say you’re done and most of the feedback has been addressed. It’s a long-tailed thing when it comes to feedback, and we obviously cannot deal with all of them.

I’m sure there’s going to be contradictory feedback as well. Once we get the bulk of the feedback, we’ll have to figure out where we need to draw the line. I’m very cost-conscious, and I know that if we draw it out, it won’t be good for my time and it’s definitely killing their budget. So, I look to get a phase 2 underway. I’ll send another request for proposal out with outlines of features we need next. I think a lot of the selection of those features is going to be dependent on the feedback we get. As we wait for that, we’re working quickly to fix bugs before they become a real problem with users.

I’ve worked with many vendors in my day job. I would say that Impekable’s professionalism ranks in at least the 95th percentile, top-tier stuff. They’re capable and confident, but not cocky. They’re communicative without being excessive or pesky. I’m just very satisfied.

What did you find most impressive about Impekable?

I was very impressed with one of the engineers I worked with. He was able to quickly take what I say, convert that into a scenario question, and ask me that question to confirm his understanding. That process helped us to avoid so much unnecessary reprogramming, going down the wrong path, or a misunderstanding. He just has a good way of reading the sentence backward to ensure the grammar makes sense, and it’s impressive. I haven’t seen anybody else work that way.

The project manager was very artistic and had a good eye for proportions, spacing, color selection. I think the questions she asked helped me to define the feel I wanted for the app. It’s was very enlightening, just to force me into putting an idea into three to five words. She was able to convert that into the same vision I had, which was very impressive.

A lot of times, they would withhold truly answering me on the schedule. There was a lot of wait and see. In terms of the global schedule, the big picture, they were able to achieve it.
    We’ve just started testing, but they’ve met expectations so far.

Enterprise Dev for Internet Company

"They're an Agile team able to pivot and adapt with rapidly evolving project scopes."

Nov. 2016 - Ongoing

Impekable's resources help internal developers with project overflow, often receiving complex and high-priority tasks.

San Jose, California
Sr. Director, Internet Company

Impekable often excels where other agencies fail. The team is a diverse mix of experts who thrive in Agile ecosystems, but there was also an impression that they rarely reject client work, which could become disadvantageous to future work.

We are an ecosystem company providing a combination of platforms, devices, and content, all seamlessly working together in order to create better lifestyles for our audience. We are working to break down industry barriers and provide a better connection to content across devices, in a seamless platform available on TVs, smartphones, and even automotive displays. We provide cloud services, content, and applications for all of these. I am the senior director of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Impekable?

I needed to get work done quickly, so I wanted to avoid using a large, bureaucratic agency, while still finding one with enough resources to support a complex project. I was hoping to find a partner with a reputation that suggested they could deliver this, which is why I hired Impekable.

Impekable has been involved in the design and technical work for our platform.

Our team included around 12 people for different areas of our work. There was some scope creep and changes requested by our stakeholders. Impekable was able to accommodate this by quickly adding resources and ensuring a timely delivery of the project.

How did you come to work with Impekable?

I was referred to Impekable by another one of their clients. Impekable's team was flown to Los Angeles in order to offer an introduction to one of our strategic business partners.

This is confidential.

We started working with Impekable on November 1st, 2016, and have an ongoing relationship.

Our platform is ready to launch, but we have decided to postpone it through a business decision. I don't have any feedback for it yet.

How did Impekable perform from a project management standpoint?

Impekable's founder was heavily involved in our work, but we also had a project manager who actively developed the project timeline and worked collaboratively with us to ensure prioritization and a critical path. As a Chinese company, we've had to collaborate with our tech teams there. The project was pretty complex, with an almost 24-hour schedule, but Impekable accommodated our collaboration.

We used InVision for previewing designs. Impekable also used another preview tool at a later point, when we actually had developed material, in order to share it within the development environment. We collaborated through WeChat (which is common in China) and Slack, as well as email for formal communications. We used Jira for tracking testing and bug fixes after the front-end development was completed. Impekable's team worked seamlessly across all platforms.

What did you find most impressive about Impekable?

Impekable was available to us at a moment's notice. They're an Agile team, able to pivot and adapt with rapidly evolving scopes. Impekable was able to take tough feedback quickly and make changes, using it as helpful information for building a better product. Especially when we asked for changes without discussing them initially, Impekable was willing to comply. Working out of scope can be daunting for any agency, but Impekable was always flexible. They also let us know when something wouldn't be possible, and what trade-offs were available to us.

Are there any areas Impekable could improve?

Impekable accepted a project with a very tight timeframe, so it would be hard to determine what some improvement areas would be. I think that Impekable does need an even stronger nose for what would amount to too much work within a short period. Bigger agencies have an easier time saying no to work, but being newer, Impekable is happier to appease us. This is good, but they also have to be willing to push back a little more to someone like me.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with Impekable?

I would advise other clients to tell Impekable when it's reasonable to say no to them.

Web Application Development for Legal Company

"Impekable is great for business brainstorming."

Impekable developed a web app using CSS, InVision mockups, JavaScript, and Node.js, that allows users to search for existing patents. The project has been put on hold for budget reasons, unrelated to Impekable's performance.

Bebe Chueh
Chief Marketing Officer, LegalZoom.com

Impekable's great project management and business strategy were highlighted.

I am the B2B chief marketing officer of LegalZoom.com, Inc. Essentially, we’re a tech-enabled law firm.

What challenge were you trying to address with Impekable?

We wanted to test the concept of launching a series of patent search functions. Unfortunately, we have a shortage of tech resources in our company. We’re very business heavy and very marketing heavy. But when it comes to building web assets and digital products, we just don’t have the competency in-house to do it.

This project was for the product of patent law and services. An inventor can come to our new website, enter an idea, and see what patents are already associated with the idea. It’s a web app that’s supposed to be responsive, so you can use it on a phone as well. For this project, Impekable used CSS, InVision mockups, JavaScript, Node.js, all of those things.

How did you come to work with Impekable?

I’ve known Pek for a while now. Impekable started in Chicago, where I also started my career.

How much have you invested with Impekable?

We paid $15,000 for Impekable’s services.

We worked with Impekable this year. It took only a month for them to complete the project.

How did Impekable perform from a project management standpoint?

Impekable’s project management was really good. I worked directly with Pek; he managed his designers and developers in doing all the mockups.

What did you find most impressive about Impekable?

The thing that stands out is that Impekable does not just have designers and UI/UX experts, Impekable are great for business brainstorming. As he went through the mockups, he pointed out his experience building similaquotr apps. He brought a lot of patterns and a business perspective to the job.

Are there any areas Impekable could improve?

I think they are on the more expensive side of things, but then you also get what you pay for. All of his staff is in San Francisco, which is a very expensive place. I would say that that’s the only thing. If it’s something that’s super deserving of their talent, then we give it to them, but for lesser projects, we would choose cheaper sources.

That’s one of their biggest strengths.

Android Prototype Development for Computer Software Firm

"Impekable has been able to take projects from design all the way to implementation and launch."

Apr. 2015 - Ongoing

Impekable was hired to support user interface design efforts, which then evolved into a full-scale Android dev project. The engagement remains ongoing.

Trevor Fiatal
CTO, Betcade, LLC

Noteworthy highlights include a wide range of technical expertise and direct access to highly-responsive executive leadership during time of crisis or project urgency.

Betcade builds technology for the real-money gaming industry, primarily focusing on European markets. I am a co-founder and the chief technology officer of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Impekable?

We are working on a store for Android gambling apps for the Northern European and Western European markets.

Impekable has handled all of our front-end development, building our store according to our requirements for interfacing with the back-end technology. Impekable has also supported applications for the Android platform. We have used imPekable for some web projects and interface design, but their main contribution has been on Android interface implementation. We've used Impekable on around a dozen discrete projects, but the vast majority of the work has gone into the main platform. At the moment, we're working with around 6 resources from Impekable. There is a project lead who manages our interactions, but we have direct access to Impekable's developers. There is a good working relationship with all of them. There have been a few staff changes, but most of the people working on our project have been there for the duration.

How did you come to work with Impekable?

I'd worked with Impekable's owner [Pek Pongpaet, managing partner at Impekable] prior to starting my current company and have known him for about 6 years. When I came to look for a resource center on the mobile side, Impekable was one of the first companies I contacted.

How much have you invested with Impekable?

The total cost of our projects with Impekable has been in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

We started working with Impekable in April 2015 for a first mobile prototype, and they produced a working version within a few weeks of us being funded.

Impekable has effectively been our outsourced mobile development team, and we have not felt it necessary to staff in-house resources for Android work. Even though this is an important strategic point to my company, I've found Impekable to be a high-performance partner that delivers on time and with great quality. Impekable has been able to step up and do what needed to be done in order to move forward.

How did Impekable perform from a project management standpoint?

The costs have been predictable and manageable. Impekable had advance communication before any changes. The process is also transparent in terms of scheduling. We don't farm tasks out to Impekable, but rather treat them as an in-house development team. Impekable is active in our in-house chat system and work with us as if they were on staff.

We have very little in-house infrastructure and have decided to put everything in the cloud, from bug tracking to source code management to collaboration tools and chat systems. When working with primary vendors like Impekable, we always tried to make sure that our choices were in line with how they were doing stuff and not have to ask for changes on how the provider engaged with clients. For example, we didn't pick Slack as a collaboration tool simply because Impekable used it, but it was certainly a factor. Likewise, source code and bug management were selected in collaboration with Impekable, rather than being picked in a vacuum.

What did you find most impressive about Impekable?

I've appreciated the fact that Impekable is a full-range shop with both mobile and web development. The fact that Impekable can pick up an iOS project, provide some web design or even back-end implementations, distinguishes them from many other shops I've worked with, which were more narrowly focused. Many providers will bring some designers and maybe some additional prototyping but, when the time comes to build complicated projects, we had to find other sources. Impekable has been able to take projects from design all the way to implementation and launch.

Are there any areas Impekable could improve?

Impekable has grown alongside us and, any time when there were resource crunches or communication issues, they were resolved through a quick call with their leadership. Usually, they'd already seen the same issues and were working on resolving them. I don't see this changing going forward.

We highly recommend them.

UI/UX Design for Multinational Tech Firm

"We've used Impekable as an extension of our own team in many cases, which is rare for a contract relationship."

2012 - Ongoing

Impekable was first hired to design the user experience for a conceptual product. Their performance led to ongoing involvement.

Senior Director of Emerging Technology

Highlights include a proactive, thoughtful approach to client relationship management and access to outstanding design talent with no shortage of creative insights.

I'm the senior director of emerging technologies and I work in the office of our chief technology officer. Our projects are largely based on forward-leaning innovation, things which we aspire to do in the future. They typically fall outside of the traditional engineering path and are more skunkworks projects.

What challenge were you trying to address with Impekable?

We were building a prototype for a product. To bring it to life, we needed professional user experience and design skills.

We had a rough framework for the product and Impekable helped us create a polished user experience. Impekable has worked on many professional interface design projects for us. Their involvement has expanded beyond my group since they have also worked with our IT and marketing departments. Our work has had a strong emphasis on user experience. We largely interfaced directly with Impekable's principal or one of their senior designers. We didn't have full visibility of the team of designers.

How did you come to work with Impekable?

I had a chance meeting with the principal of Impekable at a coffee shop in Mountain View. We struck up a conversation and exchanged ideas about what was going on in the Valley. I learned a bit about Impekable and he learned a bit about the project I was working on. I asked if he'd be willing to offer contract work for a company like ours. We saw previous projects on their website and references.

How much have you invested with Impekable?

The cost of Impekable's services for my group has been in excess of $100,000 per year. Impekable also has projects with other groups in my company. I would estimate that our company has spent more than $500,000 on Impekable’s services.

Initially, we picked a relatively small project in order to gauge Impekable's work. It was successful so we moved on to bigger and better things. Over the course of 3–4 years, Impekable has done 20 projects for different business units within our company.

We've used a lot of Impekable's work during executive briefings and customer keynote presentations. The feedback has always been very positive. It was a great thing to have such a professional and polished experience on prototype-style projects. Our products looked as if they were ready to go out the door even though they were still in the concept stage. We've run projects that provoke people's thinking on what is possible and have achieved very polished results. We've tried to bring consumer-centric designs, taking very technical concepts and putting them into the hands of non-technical people.

How did Impekable perform from a project management standpoint?

Impekable has been a professional group. Whenever there were blow-outs in terms of complexity and the time needed to get tasks done, Impekable has been flexible with the use of resources. They made sure that we stayed on time and on budget. Our projects have been fairly tactical and narrow in scope so we haven't had to fall into a formal project management process. Other groups within our company may have used project management tools. That’s because they were involved in broader, wholesale redesigns of community portals and quoting systems.

What did you find most impressive about Impekable?

Their principal has traveled at his own expense to customer events [we've hosted], standing shoulder-to-shoulder with us in order to make sure that the product worked. We've used Impekable as an extension to our own team in many cases, which is rare for a contract relationship. I have nothing negative to say about our collaboration.

Are there any areas Impekable could improve?

They could have come up with a better solution for tracking the consumption of our allocated hours. We had weekly check-ins with Impekable in this regard. But in hindsight, we both agree that we could have shared a Google Doc instead of email updates. It wasn't a big deal, rather an issue on which we could have collaborated better.

We have not missed a deadline.
    I've done this several times. I've put my reputation on the line and recommended them to many contacts outside of our company. Impekable has done great work there.

Web & Mobile Development for Entertainment Company

"Comparing Impekable to our last development team, I can say that they've understood the fashion industry a lot more."

Apr. 2016 - Ongoing

Impekable was hired to help develop a platform for the web and mobile devices. The project is in its final stages, scheduled for launch in October 2016.

Greater New York City Area
Carly Ibach
Project Manager, Lenspire

Key strengths include a flexibility, a proactive approach, and the ability to understand the nuance in specialized industries like fashion/apparel.

I am a project manager for Lenspire. It is a collaboration platform for the photo, fashion, advertising, and film industries. It's a one-stop-shop for production, from call sheets to credits.

What challenge were you trying to address with Impekable?

We have worked with a previous development team which helped us publish the app into the store. Impekable has taken over that work and is now managing our app.

Impekable is helping us develop our platform. They are taking care of design and strategy as well. We have the groundwork down for our design, but we have collaborated with Impekable in reworking it to make our vision come to life. Our solution is available as a web, iOS, and Android app.

The biggest part of our services is call sheet management and Impekable has implemented several steps for this process. Our app aims to coordinate everyone on a photo shoot. It lets users build call sheets and handle creative concepts for the preproduction process. Postproduction is done through it as well, with something we call "the images behind the call sheets." Our app provides full-circle production.

How did you come to work with Impekable?

The CEO and founder of our company discovered Impekable. We'd outsourced to another team in India initially, even though [they] were our first choice. We came back to Impekable in the end.

How much have you invested with Impekable?

I'm unsure of the finances behind this project.

We started working with Impekable in April 2016. By the end of the month, we were already reviewing demos for the app. Our launch date is set for October.

The difference between Impekable and our previous team has been night and day. They've taken initiative and were always one step ahead of us, while our last developers were the exact opposite. I have complete faith in Impekable and find them to be a very capable team.

How did Impekable perform from a project management standpoint?

Impekable has been proactive and extremely flexible in terms of call schedules. Anything that we may need is provided by them. Impekable has done everything possible to work within our tight schedules and to make the relationship work. We've used Slack for communication with Impekable. We've interacted with around 5 resources from Impekable, but there may be more in the background.

What did you find most impressive about Impekable?

Comparing Impekable to our last development team, I can say that they've understood the fashion industry a lot more. They saw what our vision was.

Are there any areas Impekable could improve?

No. Impekable has been perfect so far.

Even though I don't know what the exact costs were, I know that everything's worked out so far.

Android Prototype Development for Automotive R&D Subsidiary

"... a unique feature of [Impekable] is that they're a one-stop-shop, with their own design team and software engineers."

July, 2016 - Ongoing

Impekable was hired to design, develop, and launch an Android app. The project remains ongoing.

Senior Research Engineer

While the solution itself remains unfinished, noteworthy highlights include exceptional resource flexibility and the ability to brainstorm proactively with clients.

We are a research institute working as a subsidiary of a car manufacturer. We operate in Silicon Valley, focusing on technologies related to automated driving. I'm a senior research engineer for our company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Impekable?

We needed to build a tablet-based application from our custom specifications.

The deliverable will be an Android-based application which will run natively. The app allows us to log our testing activities, particularly information such as direction, time, and weather conditions. We also included an ability to add other features such as audio, video, and image recordings. Impekable created the app based on our specifications, helping our group record this info and put it into a database. We had initial discussions focusing on some general use cases and our initial ideas. Impekable took this information and had a team create some mock-up designs. We went through these weekly iterations, trying to work off of each other's ideas and hone in on a concept. During our meetings with Impekable, I've interacted with at least a couple of designers and developers. I don't know the exact size of their team.

How did you come to work with Impekable?

I used to be neighbors with Impekable's owner and I heard that he had started his own company. I've only been involved in research software development, not Android. When we started the project, we shopped around for other vendors and I received offers which I didn't find reasonable. I reached out to Impekable's owner and asked for a professional opinion of what an estimate should be. He told me that the offers were within the ballpark, but also that he could do it. I asked for a quotation. He told us that they would be able to do this under the budget that we had available and within a quicker timeframe. Since they were also a local company, we decided to select Impekable.

How much have you invested with Impekable?

The total cost of Impekable's services has been under $100,000.

We started working with Impekable a month ago. The weekly reviews and meetings took around 2 weeks. When we finalized our design, the prototyping phase started. The project is now in its final stages; we are just making last-minute tweaks and debugging. Our app should be finished within 2 weeks. So far, our application has been the only project we've done with Impekable. Since we've started the project, other groups within our company have seen what Impekable was able to do. They have offered additional contracts.

Impekable identified many features which we hadn't really thought of. Generally, I think that it was very good to work with Impekable. They were able to take our initial vision and suggest many improvements. They honed our ideas, made them more concrete, and implemented them. I appreciated the designers' ability to utilize their prior work and experience in order to make the final product a lot better.

How did Impekable perform from a project management standpoint?

Impekable kept us in the loop through weekly meetings where we saw the latest developments. We haven't used any project collaboration tools because the process of working with Impekable has been really easy. We can tell them what we want, and receive new revisions a week later for us to test out. There hasn't been a need for us to watch Impekable's team do their work, so to speak.

What did you find most impressive about Impekable?

This is not my area of expertise; I don't work a lot with mobile applications. I do think that a unique feature of Impekable is that they're a one-stop-shop, with their own design team and software engineers. It wasn't necessary for us to go in with fully-defined requirements. Impekable was able to work with us, as long as we had a vision and general ideas. We came with an idea for a simple application, and Impekable went above and beyond. I'm confident that the final product will be much better than what we'd envisioned in the beginning. Impekable has exceeded our expectations.

Are there any areas  Impekable could improve?

No, I don’t think there are any areas that they need to improve.

Overall Score Impekable has taught us a lot about what is easy and difficult to do within an app development project. It's been a learning process.
    They were able to give us a much more aggressive timeline than what the competition quoted. We are around a week over the planned schedule. But we've allowed Impekable to relax the time constraints, given that they were adding many extra features.
    This is compared to quotes we received from other vendors.
    Impekable has exceeded expectations. The final product is going to be much better than what we'd envisioned.
    I've recommended Impekable to other people, from both outside and inside our company. A lot of them have asked for quotes and have started doing feasibility studies.

UI/UX Design & Development for Computer Software Firm

"Impekable is phenomenal at swooping in, learning about a problem, and helping with that engagement."

2015 - Ongoing

Impekable was hired to supply dev resources for several challenging projects. The engagement has since expanded and remains ongoing.

Greater Boston Area
David Wachtendonk
Director, Constant Contact

Notable strengths include rapid response time, exceptional technical skills, and a transparent project management approach.

Constant Contact empowers small businesses and organizations to create and grow customer relationships. We help them succeed through email marketing. I am the director of emerging business for the company. I am responsible for launching and developing new products.

What challenge were you trying to address with Impekable?

We needed additional capacity while trying to launch a few different business initiatives at the same time. Normally, we have a development team in-house, but we needed help with some prototyping and getting ideas off the ground.

At the time, we were launching a new small business advertising service. Impekable handled the overall design engagement, primarily on the front-end. They were responsible for developing clickable prototypes for the user experience. They created InVision prototypes which we put together. We were looking for additional feedback for our design group. Impekable came up with an alternative product experience. This was pitched to the team in the form of an interactive InVision prototype.

How did you come to work with Impekable?

I've known Impekable's head for 6 to 7 years through the startup community in Chicago. We are part of the same networking groups. I'd never actually hired his firm for any work, but knew how Impekable came to where it was. Initially, we had a design-focused exercise with Impekable. We wanted to engage them because they were strong from a design and UX standpoint.

We started working with Impekable at the end of 2015. The overall engagement went on for 6 to 8 weeks. Impekable is still under retainer with us technically because we didn't utilize all the hours allocated to us.

Within my department, ideas become greenlit and killed often. Impekable enabled me not to have to hire full-time resources, which saved money at the end of the day. I can't provide dollar metrics, but Impekable has been able to help me conserve resources. Impekable's work was on par with what our full-time UX team could do. That challenged our in-house team to think about the problem that we were addressing.

How did Impekable perform from a project management standpoint?

Impekable's principal provided consultation for our project and we had weekly calls with 2 to 3 members of their team. I don't know how many people were working behind the scenes, but we had an account manager who kept the project moving. We were the primary driver of the timeline, while Impekable was conscious of the schedule. If anything, we dragged our feet because of company bureaucracy. We used InVision for creating clickable prototypes, and shared Basecamp, which I brought to the table.

What did you find most impressive about Impekable?

I think of my department as the innovation part of a big enterprise. Impekable is phenomenal at swooping in, learning about a problem, and helping with that engagement. They did all that without pushing their fee. Whenever we had additional work for brochures and so on, we were able to use Impekable's services through the hours we had left. Sometimes, consultants can be focused on the after-work, trying to burn the remaining hours. Impekable has been protective of this and focused on what was best for the customer.

Impekable is quick and nimble. They're able to respond to business needs fast, which is what we would have expected of someone of their caliber. I'd known Impekable's head for quite a while, but it was the first time I'd actually engaged his firm. I expected that we'd be working more with his junior staff, but we actually worked with him as part of the engagement. I didn't push for this during negotiations, so this exceeded my expectations.

Are there any areas Impekable could improve?

At the time of hiring Impekable, it didn't seem that they were a full-stack shop. I couldn't outsource a complete app development project to them, from front-end to Ruby on Rails work. I appreciated Impekable's transparency in letting us know that they mainly handled front-end work.

Overall Score It was a great experience.
    Impekable was very flexible. I don't remember them having to reschedule.
    As a corporate consumer, I found the cost to be good. If I was bootstrapping and using my own dollars, I would consider the work to be more expensive. Impekable is not the cheapest shop in town, but we got to work with a leader in the field.
    Not even our internal team can reach absolute perfection.
    I have just referred a friend who came to me with a startup idea. They were the first people I thought of.

Product Development for Ed Tech Startup

"We have appreciated Impekable's ability to scale their level of management and oversight."

Mar. 2016 - Ongoing

The engagement began with incremental upgrades to a flagship product, which then evolved into ongoing maintenance and support.

Washington DC Metro Area
Nancy Goodman
Head of Product, Insight Advance

Notable highlights include uncompromising responsiveness and resource flexibility that rivals suppliers much larger than Impekable.

Insight ADVANCE is an EduTech company. We are a sister company of Insight Education Group, which was founded 20 years ago. We have spun off from them, working primarily on teacher and school leader development. Our technology is used for coaching, delivering professional development for teachers, and ensuring that they're receiving high-quality feedback. I am the head of products for the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Impekable?

We needed small upgrades and improvement for our core product, ADVANCEfeedback. In addition, we also required ongoing maintenance and support for that software. It had been sitting dormant for 2 years and we didn't know what the code looked like. It turned out that it had been poorly put together, using several different pieces. It was written using the Groovy language, so the software was significantly outdated. We had a serious time crunch of 3 months, during which it needed to be up and running for statewide usage.

We recently relaunched the software for a state's department of education. Impekable made it possible to roll out our product to a statewide group of users. Our most complex project involved digging into the old product. Impekable handled numerous repairs, upgrades, and refactorings for that software. The project involved a significant discovery process, both on the front and back-end. Impekable learned along the way with us.

How did you come to work with Impekable?

Impekable had done work with a team with which our president had been involved in a previous engagement. Impekable left a good impression so, when we were looking for a new team for maintenance and support, he went back to them. We interviewed several other teams as well, but I was very happy with Impekable

How much have you invested with Impekable?

The total cost of Impekable's services has been around $200,000.

We started working with Impekable in March 2016.

We gave Impekable a messy, black box project with a tight timeline, but they worked it out. The ADVANCEfeedback software went from being dormant to being implemented statewide within a short timeframe. This is a great testament to what Impekable is able to do. Impekable told us what they would be able to accomplish from the start. They were honest and upfront about this, which meant that we were able to deliver on time to the client. Impekable was able to say that they would not be able to go above a certain threshold. Going on another route would have involved rebuilding the software from scratch, for example. Impekable told us that this would not happen in time. They instead did an awesome job of refactoring what we had and delivered on time. The stability of our core product is another success indicator. We had been stuck with ongoing maintenance and repairs for it. Our senior developer from Impekable did a great job of stabilizing the base code, making the need for maintenance drop by about 75%.

How did Impekable perform from a project management standpoint?

We worked with up to 4 resources from Impekable, depending on our project. We worked directly with those members. Our senior developer served as a project lead while I was in charge of direct communication from our end. I met with the project lead and the rest of the team at least weekly during heavy development. While I'm the head of products, I'm not a senior developer. But Impekable's team did a great job of conveying what was happening, what our issues were, and what it would take to fix them. They were very communicative, made themselves available and were always very clear. We use Zendesk internally and have given Impekable access to it. Google Docs is our main communication tool.

What did you find most impressive about  Impekable?

We have appreciated Impekable's ability to scale their level of management and oversight. We've worked with firms which had set processes for project management. It may have been what certain people need, but not our company. We've seen Impekable scale up and provide more management whenever things became more ambiguous. But they were also able to scale the process down when we stopped needing it. Impekable made its team accessible to us in this way. We're a startup, and often run on a lean budget and pressed timeline. Being able to remain responsive has been spectacular.

Are there any areas Impekable could improve?

The only improvement would be getting constant updates on the number of hours we've used and what we're doing next.

I would recommend that anyone be as clear as possible regarding a problem, allowing Impekable to be as clear as they can be on how to solve it. Being open to Impekable's insight is advisable. They're very knowledgeable and realistic in terms of estimates.

We're working across distance and over time. We've had the best experience possible, within our limitations.
    I have worked with more than a handful of development companies over my career. I'd have the least number of qualifiers for Impekable when recommending them.