Better brands through strategy & design

We are a team of designers, developers, project managers and creatives that specialize in crafting cohesive, clear and visually-appealing brand identities that can be applied across print and digital media. Located in East Boston, we work with local and national clients across a variety of sectors that include clean energy, biotech, marketing and lifestyle brands. We excel at making complicated things easy.

Our work elevates brands so their communicating and presenting their stories with the highest degree of clarity and impact. At ICS, we conduct a thorough Discovery process upfront that provides us with invaluable insights into our client’s brands, goals and desired outcomes. This provides us with a deep understanding of our client’s brands, and informs our work to ensure we’ve captured the tone of messaging and style of design so it is a natural fit for the brand.

2004
Boston, MA
  • 63 Maverick Square #9
    Boston, MA 02128

Logo Design & Branding for Coaching Firm

"They brought such a wealth of knowledge to the engagement and every interaction was beneficial."

Nov. 2018 - Mar. 2019

Image Conscious Studios created a complete brand guide to revamp a business’ visual representation. They produced a new logo, fonts, etc. and made key recommendations to improve the existing site design.

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Erek Ostrowski
Founder, Verve Coaching

The comprehensive brand manual has enhanced the professionalism for the business and strengthened its identity. The materials have also been received warmly by the public. The team at Image Conscious Studios dedicated creativity and a unique, insightful perspective to the project.

I’m the founder of a coaching practice. I work with entrepreneurial leaders and small business owners to help them become better managers. I also coach them on how to navigate the challenges that come with leading a growing company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Image Conscious Studios?

My brand had felt stagnant for a while, and I wanted a more accurate visual representation of my expertise. I hired Image Conscious Studios to create a guide of branding materials that appeal to my audience and enhance my professionalism.

We began with an interactive kickoff workshop to define the values, mission, personality, and audience for my business. Once we refined my vision for my visual identity, Image Conscious Studios put together a mood board that reflected several directions we could move in. Together, we brainstormed potential designs that matched the direction I found most appealing. During this phase, we also reviewed other elements including typefaces, colors, and fonts.

Based on this information, their team compiled a brand manual. They produced a logo with nine different forms of different backgrounds, alignment, etc. Image Conscious Studios also found a suite of images for my website and made key recommendations to improve the platform with the new brand assets.

Adam (Partner & Creative Director, Image Conscious Studios), Ariana (Graphic Designer, Image Conscious Studios), and Christine (Digital Project Manager, Image Conscious Studios) were my three main points of contact. They led a team of 8–10 people, but I mostly interacted with my primary contacts.

How did you come to work with Image Conscious Studios?

One of my clients used Image Conscious Studios to develop their website and recommended them to me.

We began working together in November 2018–March 2019.

I spent around $10,000 on their services.

The engagement only recently ended so I won’t have quantitative metrics until I implement all of the changes to my platforms. However, everyone who has seen the new materials and brand guide has been blown away. In fact, people have asked me for some of the branded items, like the sweatshirt with my logo on it. People find the new look visually striking and provide great feedback on the thorough, skilled job Image Conscious Studios did.

How did Image Conscious Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

Image Conscious Studios were great to work with. They excel in achieving specific outcomes through a deliberate process. They met all of our milestones and communicated their progress along the way. Scheduling meetings was easy to do, and I always knew what direction we were heading in. We primarily used Basecamp to communicate, and they used a different program to show us the design assets throughout the process.

They helped me see my brand in a more sophisticated, mature way than I ever had before. Their team not only understood what my business was but also what it aspired to be, and helped me achieve it. They brought such a wealth of knowledge to the engagement and every interaction was beneficial.

They did an excellent job, so there’s nothing I can think of for them to do differently.

If you trust their expertise and ask for their insight, you’ll likely get better results. Allowing them to be creative and unique should be what you’re using them for, so it helps to have an open mind. Embrace the direction they take the project in.

Web App Dev for Online Video Education Platform

"We couldn’t have developed such a beautiful product without them."

Jan. 2018 - Aug. 2018

Image Conscious Studios developed a web app to support video content. They utilized the RAMP stack and introduced live-note taking linked to video time stamps. They also delivered a marketing landing page.

Ian Murphy
Former Director of Marketing, Video-Based Scientific Journal

Users lauded the solutions’ intuitive interface and visuals. Flexible and committed, Image Conscious Studios handled requirement changes smoothly while continuing to push development pace. Customers can expect a communicative and optimistic partner.

I was the director of marketing for a video-based, science education organization.

What challenge were you trying to address with Image Conscious Studios?

We brought them on to build a web app for video-based online education. After beginning as a video-based scientific journal, we started branching into science education. This web app serves as a video textbook intended to replace large, 2,000-page biology textbooks. As future doctors take their education seriously, we had to earn our users trust by being up all the time and making it easy to find the information they needed.

ICS was involved from the get-go, making sure the app’s UI was appropriate for the audience and performing competitive analysis. We used the RAMP stack (Ruby on Rails, Apache, MySQL, and Passenger), and they created all the wireframes based on discovery sessions with us. We’d already worked together, so we were very comfortable sharing our thoughts and absurdities.

We thought up features together, including live-note taking, and they came back to us with wireframes and sketches. Students can pause whatever video they’re watching type a note, and then come back to it later at the exact point in the video that inspired their thought. Taken together, these notes create a personal table of contents with associated notes. ICS also built a one-page marketing site.

People phased in and out of the project as needed. We worked with Adam (Partner and Creative Director, Image Conscious Studios), Justin (UX Strategist, Image Conscious Studios), and a dedicated project manager. The three of them came on in the beginning, working with us on discovery, frontend wireframing, and prototyping.

Then, their designers took over and fleshed out those things into live prototypes using InVision. Afterward, an assigned backend team with a team lead set up the servers and developed the backend.

How did you come to work with Image Conscious Studios?

We’d worked with ICS before to rebuild our website from the ground up. For that project, we looked for a local company and were impressed by ICS' price, personality fit, and portfolio. Based on that good experience, we reached out to them again for the web application. Their quote was comparable to those of other groups, so we happily signed with them again.

The online video platform cost $115,000–$120,000.

We worked together from mid-January until August 2018.

The product is beautiful, and it was the first of its kind. We did a ton of user testing and demo work, and all the feedback was excellent. Users particularly enjoy how easy the app is to use.

How did Image Conscious Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

We weren’t the easiest client to work with, but they were great in this respect. Our minds changed frequently and ICS shepherded us well through the process of determining what we actually wanted to do. We used Basecamp frequently, along with InVision and Google Docs.

ICS took everything in stride and dealt with our nonsense throughout the project. They were always smiling and ready to roll the ball forward. We couldn’t have developed such a beautiful product without them.

Our project manager changed halfway through the project, which hindered us a bit, but people have their own lives, so I can’t blame ICS. It took a while for the IT and backend teams to get on the same page, but, once that happened, it was smooth sailing. ICS was good overall.

Clients shouldn’t silo them as just designers or just web developers. Let them in on the concept as early as possible because they’ll have a lot of good insights.

Branding & Web Design for Biological Engineering Company

"We have been very impressed by the team’s ability to understand our brand."

May - Oct. 2016

Image Conscious Studios updated existing content to clarify and strengthen the client’s brand. They also transferred the client’s site to WordPress and revamped the UX/UI to reflect those updates.

Christina Agapakis
Creative Director, Gingko Bioworks

The team’s ability to synthesize information quickly and effectively has allowed them to build an accessible and user-friendly site that distinguishes the client within their industry. They were very responsive and worked collaboratively to make necessary changes in real time.

I'm the creative director at Gingko Bioworks, a biological engineering company. We work with GMOs, genetically engineering microbes to make products.

What challenge were you trying to address with Image Conscious Studios (ICS)?

With a complicated and technologically heavy background, it can be difficult to talk about GMOs in a way that is accessible and interesting. We needed a company to polish our brand and help us clearly convey what we do on our site.

ICS improved the look and feel of our site and elevated our brand by taking the content we already had and repackaging it in a way tells our story more concisely. They also moved our site from an outdated CMS platform to WordPress, which facilitates making changes on our end. The new site is now consistent with our brand and logo design in terms of color and layout, and they added a new splash page, images, and video content to improve the user experience.

In the beginning of the engagement, we worked with a creative director that helped us plan and continued to support us throughout the project. We also worked with a designer, a project manager, and one developer. An additional team member also interviewed a number of team members to help us write our career page.

How did you come to work with ICS?

Our IT director had colleagues in Boston who ran restaurants and had used ICS to build their sites. They recommended ICS, so we contacted them.

We’ve spent about $60,000 thus far.

We’ve been working with them from June–October 2016.

Everyone's been really happy with them so far. We’ve heard from people within our industry and similar businesses who say that our site doesn’t look like a biotech company site, and I think this is a great compliment. The work that they’ve done has helped us stand out in the industry.

How did ICS perform from a communications standpoint?

I’ve been really happy with the team. ICS worked efficiently and quickly. They translated our company mission—what we were working on, our brand, and our stories—into the web design, delivering within as little as a week. They've also been very responsive to edits. Whenever we had comments from our team, ICS was happy to accommodate our feedback and fix it for us.

We have been very impressed by the team’s ability to understand our brand. ICS stood out when it came to capturing the essence of our mission, despite its complexity. This understanding has been key to the success of the project. They excel at translating complex information into more accessible content.

Nothing in particular, and certainly nothing that I couldn’t address with the team directly.

They're good listeners. If you're just starting out, don't be afraid to show them what you’ve created. ICS can synthesize your materials into something comprehensive.

We’ve never had an issue.

Branding & Web Design for Small Restaurant Group

"Our company has grown tremendously over the past 10 years and Image Conscious was part of that."

Mar. - Jul. 2016

Spearheading a branding campaign, Image Conscious designed/developed a WordPress website and delivered a full branding package, incorporating multiple opinions from the internal team.

Cambridge, Massachusetts
Rachel Muzner
Mamaleh's Delicatessen

The website received favorable feedback from customers and the business has grown dramatically. Experienced and knowledgeable about the latest trends, they delivered a strong brand, while their personable, down-to-earth approach earned them favorable referrals.

I'm one of the owners of Mamaleh's Delicatessen, which is a small restaurant.

What challenge were you trying to address with Image Conscious Studios?

We first contacted them 10 years ago when we needed a company to do full branding for our new restaurant.

They developed a branding campaign and built a WordPress website for our first restaurant, managing the design and the development. After that, we opened two more restaurants and they delivered a full branding package for those as well. We're a very collaborative ownership group, but they were able to take all of our thoughts and opinions and produce the style we were looking for.

We worked closely with the owner and we also had a project manager and a designer.

How did you come to work with them?

We knew them on a personal level.

We spent between $10,000-$25,000.

Our two most recent projects were between March–July 2016.

We all love the website. They've created a strong brand for us and we've received a very favorable feedback from our customers. In one of the restaurants, our gift shop has elements that are branded with different sayings, which has been a very successful strategy. Our company has grown tremendously over the past 10 years and Image Conscious was part of that.

How did they perform from a project management standpoint?

They met all their deadlines and always pushed us to keep the project on track.

They're very personable and down-to-earth. They’re very experienced, stay up-to-date with the latest trends, and have enough maturity to keep everything balanced.

I can't think of anything.

They recognize their value, so they're not the cheapest option. But they're absolutely worth it.

We've referred them to a number of friends and colleagues.

UX Design for Sports Lifestyle Brand

“They've met our every need. … We've built a very good relationship with them.”

Apr. 2016 - Ongoing

Taking charge of the user experience, Image Conscious redesigned a home page, added a new navigation feature, and made the site mobile responsive. They’ve also supported the testing and launch of the site.

Colby Sears
Associate Manager, User Experience, '47

The navigation function allows users to select their sports team using a team's logo. Highly responsive and reliable, they’ve been instrumental in helping the business grow rapidly, while their transparency and proactive approach contributed to the ongoing relationship.

I manage e-commerce user experience at ’47. We’re a sports lifestyle brand founded in Boston and make licensed headwear and apparel for all the major sports teams and leagues

What challenge were you trying to address with Image Conscious Studios?

We were looking for a local agency to restructure and improve the whole user experience on our website.

I work with them on a daily basis. They helped us fix technical issues, redesign our home page and site templates, and make the site mobile responsive. We switched to Shopify a few years ago, but some of the technology we were using wasn't adapted to Shopify, so they helped us address that. They restructured a lot of our site search and navigation, which was important to us since we have 15,000+ products on our site They also provided full support with testing and the launch of the website.

We usually work with 1–2 members of their team on a day-to-day basis. In total, we've worked with five people over the course of the project.

How did you come to work with them?

They were already working with our company when I came on board.

We started working with them in 2016 and the relationship is ongoing.

It used to be hard for our customers to get to their team on the home page. Image Conscious created a feature that allows users to select a team using a team's logo as soon as they log onto the home page. In addition, Image Conscious has given our website a more modern look and feel.

They've been very reliable throughout the whole process, from our first brainstorming session to the implementation phase. We have a lot of pressure to grow our business in 2018 and they're definitely helping us grow rapidly.

How did they perform from a project management standpoint?

They're very responsive and get back to us within 5–10 minutes if we have questions or if there is an issue with the website. They meet all their deadlines even when they're working on 3–4 big projects for us.

We appreciate their responsiveness and their proactive suggestions in terms of improving the user experience.

No. They've met our every need.

Keep communication open and be transparent about your goals. We've built a very good relationship with them. They're local, so we can have face-to-face meetings to make our relationship more personal, which is important to me.

Web Dev & UX Design for Research Institute

“I liked their overall professionalism and efficiency with which they handled everything.”

Nov. 2016 - Apr. 2017

After developing wireframes, Image Conscious integrated new features into an existing Plone CMS and designed a dynamic layout and landing pages to assist with style update.

Washington, D.C.
Digital Content Manager, Research Institute

The internal team and external users love the look and feel of the site. Highly responsive and professional, they established a smooth process from the get-go, while their ability to work as a team both within their own company and with in-house developers made them a true partner.

I'm a digital content manager at a research institute

What challenge were you trying to address with Image Conscious Studios?

We switched over from an HTML website to Plone CMS. We had a few features on our website that were developed after the site was initially designed, so we wanted to bring everything into a stylistic harmony. We were looking for a company to help us with that style update.

They developed wireframes, integrated new features into the Plone CMS, and designed a dynamic layout and landing pages.

We had a project manager, who was our main point of contact and we worked with five other members of their team, including developers and designers.

How did you come to work with them?

They were a referral. We went through an RFP process and loved the work they had done for other companies. We also met them at an annual conference for Plone CMS, so we got a chance to hear their presentations and talk to them afterwards. We liked their approach, so we gave them a chance.

We spent between $25,000–$50,000.

We worked with them between November 2016–April 2017.

The website is live and we've received good feedback both internally and from external users. If there were any bugs during the testing phase, they addressed them immediately.

How did they perform from a project management standpoint?

They were flexible and able to meet all of our requests, even when we were changing those requests in the process. We used Basecamp to communicate with a larger team and share files. They met all their deadlines, including the deadline that we shifted back about a week. They continue to be very responsive and answer our questions, even after the launch of the website.

I liked their overall professionalism and efficiency with which they handled everything. They worked very well as a team and included all their designers, developers, and project managers in each conversation from start to finish. So developers could let designers know if there would be any issues down the road and designers could have their own input during the development phase. They also communicated with our in-house CMS developers to make sure there were no issues with integration or deployment.

No, I was happy with the process.

Be open and bring everyone who will be working on your project together as early in the process as possible.