Tell your story with confidence

Silver

Illustria is a branding agency that listens, and we work with businesses to tell their story with confidence. We believe the secret to every successful engagement starts with getting to know you and your customers. From start to end, we dig deep to uncover the brand story that has always existed, and is waiting to be told with confidence.

At Illustria, we take a highly personalized approach. We keep our team tight so every single Illustrian can build a relationship with you, dive deep into your business, work efficiently, and actively position you for success.

Washington, DC
  • 1401 K Street NW Suite 450
    Washington, DC 20005

Graphic Design & Rebranding for Health & Wellness Company

"I always look forward to interacting with them because they’re so friendly."

Feb. 2018 - Ongoing

Illustria is creating a marketing strategy as part of a rebranding effort. They designed print collateral including flyers and brochures. The rollout is scheduled for 2019.

Denver Metro Area, Colorado
Michael Harinen
CMO, Bluebird Botanicals

The team’s collaborative approach and strategic planning have generated a positive reaction from internal stakeholders. They are friendly and maintain constant communication. Strong project management skills include timeliness, consistency, and openness to feedback.

I’m the chief marketing officer for Bluebird Botanicals. We are an e-commerce firm in the hemp cannabidiol (CBD) industry and we sell directly to customers online.

What challenge were you trying to address with Illustria?

We wanted to expand into health food stores and needed an attention-grabbing strategy to market our products.

They interviewed our employees and our customers to understand our company’s place in the market. The team used that information to identify our brand and clarify our position in the industry. They then created a new logo, designed visuals, and wrote marketing content for flyers and brochures. They’re currently working on new labels and more marketing materials for us and we expect the total rebranding to roll out next year.

We have worked with two account managers, one strategist, one creative director, and a graphic designer. We work with additional creative directors and graphic designers as needed.

How did you come to work with Illustria?

They contacted us when we were looking for a vendor for this project because we were among the brands they were watching. We interviewed a few companies, but Illustria’s dedication and openness impressed us the most.

We started working with them in February 2018 and the partnership is ongoing.

We haven’t launched the marketing campaign yet, but most of our internal feedback is positive. Our employees are excited because they think the brand fits our company’s direction.

How did Illustria perform from a project management standpoint?

They’ve been on top of all of our projects and have always met deadlines. They are transparent with scheduling, estimates and delivery expectations. We mostly communicate via email, but also phone calls and video chats. We feel included and give them feedback frequently.

Their work is exceptional, and they’re easy to get along with. No one on their team has disappointed me. I always look forward to interacting with them because they’re so friendly.

Graphic design is expensive, but I don't think it's fair to ask them to charge less. That’s the only thing I can think of, because I've been thrilled with everything else.

Advice for future clients:

If clients aren’t happy with something, they should say so, and raise the issue if they’d like to see something changed. Clients should provide constructive feedback to make the project something that all parties are satisfied with.

Rebranding & Logo Design for IT Company

“Now we’re reaching the type of clients we always wanted in the first place.”

Aug. - Oct. 2018

Illustria helped an IT company through a complete rebrand following a trademark conflict. They compiled stakeholder research, then leveraged their analysis to create a new name and logo.

Washington D.C. Metro Area
Jon Browm
CEO, Grove Technologies

The rebranding process was surprisingly comfortable and rewarding. Illustria’s team was thorough in their research and created a strong rapport that made it easy to share details about the business. Not only that, they completed the project months ahead of schedule.

I’m the founder and CEO of Grove Technologies. We specialize in IT support services for the Mac desktop OS, offering help desk and network management solutions to small and midsize companies. We have a lot of experience working with design agencies in particular.

What challenge were you trying to address with Illustria?

We were forced to rebrand because our company’s previous name contained a trademark infringement.

They provided two critical services for us. The first was renaming our company. For that, they conducted a values assessment of our company and researched different options available to us. The second service involved creating a logo that would meet our needs.

During the research phase, they interviewed key stakeholders including our staff and members of our customer base. Their goal was to get a sense of how we’re being perceived versus how we thought customers perceived us. Once they’d gathered that data, they compared the two perspectives in order to develop our rebranding strategy.

We worked with our client manager, project manager, and several designers.

How did you come to work with Illustria?

We had the opportunity to choose from a large pool of designers, but they felt like the best partner for us. They were an existing client of ours and were aware of our frustrations with negotiating the trademark process. Initially, they recommended a good trademark lawyer to us, but they also offered to help us rebrand if it came to that. Once that became necessary, we hired them to help us.

The project took about six weeks between August–October 2018, although they had originally estimated that it would last until early 2019.

We’ve had a lot of great user feedback on our new logo. We also took the color scheme they set for us and used it to redesign our website in-house, which has helped complete the transition. We’ve also received positive feedback about our new business cards.

In terms of the renaming, it’s actually called more attention to our business as we also had to buy a new domain for our site. We’ve seen an increase in qualified B2B leads since completing the rebranding. Our previous name resonated more with individuals, which wasn’t our desired market, so now we’re reaching the type of clients we always wanted in the first place.

How did Illustria perform from a project management standpoint?

Everything was very organized and easy to follow. They met their deadlines or finished things ahead of schedule, so it was reassuring to see that they were overestimating in case of delays. They were also very accommodating to my schedule and worked around any roadblocks I ran into.

They wanted our input from the outset and used it to develop and refine the products they created for us. I was a bit skeptical of how well this process would work, but I was incredibly happy with the results. Illustria made the whole experience very comfortable and rewarding.

I can’t really think of anything. They did their job very well.

Provide as much information as possible from the start. I think our project went so well because I was relaxed and gave them more than they really needed. This was difficult for me at first because we also do work for them, so we’d always maintained a bit of professional distance. That said, they created a very non-judgmental environment that made me feel like I could be honest.

They adhered to the price we were given.
    The deliverables were very high quality.

Email Marketing Redesign for Data Security Firm

"They have been very responsive and flexible as far as how they help me understand what they're working on."

Illustria provides graphic design for data security and privacy services. The team worked specifically on email marketing, webinar announcements, and welcome emails.

Washington DC Metro Area
Jennifer Russell
Marketing Manager, Law Firm

The new email templates and webinars increased service registration and created an easier and cleaner process for employees. Illustria is very clear about deadlines and the feedback they need to complete a project. They excel at customer service and are responsive to any concerns or questions.

My organization is a law firm that deals with data security and privacy.

I am the marketing manager.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Illustria?

We were looking for a graphic design company that was talented, flexible, and able to stick to a defined timeline. More specifically, we wanted someone to redesign our email templates and our newsletter so we could better utilize our contact lists.

We needed help with our email marketing, webinar announcement formatting, and welcome emails. They sat down with me to talk about our brand identity and what our goals were for the project. From there, we ranked what design would be the hardest and did that first. They came up with design ideas, sent them to me, and I would send them back letting them know what I liked and didn't like. Eventually, they had enough feedback and suggestions to design our templates.

How did you come to work with Illustria, were you looking at other companies?

Illustria actually approached us. We already had a graphic designer who worked with us, and we had recently redone our website. We weren't actively looking for a new graphic design company, but when they reached out to us, we looked into their services and decided to move forward. Their payment and scheduling structure worked for us as well.

The email marketing project with them has been going on for about two months and is less than $10,000 but, as we look to move forward with them on other projects, it will likely increase.

We have finished the project and now have a newsletter, webinar, and welcome email template. They were awesome and sent me two designs for each template, which I felt was above and beyond their engagement. We have some other projects with them in the pipeline for later this year. These are mostly smaller things like social media hedges, white page designs, and PowerPoint templates.

The most recent email I sent was a new webinar template, and it increased our registration by 40 people, which was cool. Our newsletter has an increased open rate as well. Overall, I think the whole process is so much easier and cleaner, and I hope the audience does, too.

How did Illustria perform from a project management standpoint?

This is one of the reasons that I have decided to move forward with them. It has been exceptionally easy to work with Illustria. They are very clear about their deadlines and what they need from me. They are great at communicating and are willing to have a call or video chat at any time to discuss any concerns or potential confusion. They have been very responsive and flexible as far as how they help me understand what they're working on.

What distinguishes Illustria from other providers?

Illustria's customer service is definitely something that distinguishes them from other people we've worked with. They hit all their deadlines on a consistent basis, which is so impressive. Their ability to stick within those timeframes makes it great to work with them.

Is there anything Illustria could have improved or done differently?

At this point, no, I can't think of anything. They've been good about sending feedback forms to see if there is anything they can improve on their end and I haven't been able to provide any information thus far. They've been great.

Overall Score They've been easy to work with.
    I think I have already recommended them to a couple of different people.

Advertising Graphic Design for Media Company

"They help us walk through the ways that we can get better and make it as seamless a process as possible."

Illustria provides design work for a media and polling platform. The team has worked on various projects including: email campaigns, website redesign, and a YouTube promotional video.

Washington DC Metro Area
Director of Operations, Media Company

There has been an increase in website traffic as a direct result of the YouTube video, and the email campaign has increased advertising partners. Illustria has been easy to work with and practices great communication. The team is able to bring website ideas to life.

We are a media and polling company. We create briefings each morning that we send out to our subscribers, on which we have advertising and reporting included within. In addition, we have a technology platform for all of our polling questions.

I am the director of operations. I run all the day to day operations. I’m also in charge of human resources and finance.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Illustria?

Prior to Illustria we were using offsite designers and it was for one-off projects. Because we were only paying them a small amount of money, we didn’t have a lot of sway on when we would receive the final product. As we were growing we needed more of a firm that could respond to us quicker.

Illustria has done some of our advertising emails to our subscribers. They’ve helped with parts of our website redesign too. One of the largest projects they worked on was to create a video for us to put on YouTube to explain our new technology platform.

How did you come to work with Illustria?

We found Illustria by chance. Our general council met their Chief Executive Officer in DC.

I don’t have specific numbers. I know the video on YouTube has seen a high amount of traffic and has helped to direct that traffic to our website. Additionally the advertising emails that they have worked on have increased the number of clients who are advertising with us. The advertising artwork has also increased click-throughs to our clients’ sites.

What distinguishes Illustria from other providers?

I would say the Illustria team has been relatively easy to work with. They will get on a phone call with us often for each project that we do, to talk through exactly what we’re looking for. They help us walk through the ways that we can get better and make it as seamless a process as possible. The hardest part oftentimes is that what we give them is kind of nebulous.

We lean on their design expertise to take our initial idea to something on paper and then we guide them through the editing process. Illustria has been really easy to work with in the editing process. They’ve never complained about how many edits we’ve made. Overall it’s been a really great relationship.

Is there anything Illustria could have improved or done differently?

There’s only a couple things that we wish they could do. One is that sometimes it would be easier if we could pick up the phone and call them instead of scheduling a phone call. It would be helpful to have a phone number we could call. Another thing is that sometimes it’s hard for us to keep track of our hours and how the hour is being allotted. They tell us how many hours they’re expecting to use on a project and then sometimes we get lost in where those hours are actually going.

Overall Score  It’s been improving as we’ve been working with them. We hope to stay with them for a while.
     Sometimes it takes longer than initially planned. Generally it’s pretty good.
     Illustria is worth the value to not have to hire an in-house designer.
     Their quality is great.
     A couple of our employees have already done that.

Marketing Team Augmentation for Shipping Brokerage

"They add value to the piece that I want value added to and then give it back."

Illustria provides design work and content creation for a freight brokerage company’s marketing campaign. They were chosen for their flexible pricing and working models.

Chicago Metro Area
Director of Marketing, Shipping Brokerage

The team has provided great work, and has developed a consistent professional look on all materials. Illustria has an entire team of designers with creative and unique ideas. They are responsive and work quickly, providing great service.

We are a third-party logistics and freight brokerage, which means that we connect shippers, people who have products and materials to ship anywhere throughout North America, with trucking companies that can move that freight for them. We broker that deal.

My role here is Director of Marketing.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Illustria?

I had recently joined to start the marketing department from scratch. Being a logistics and freight brokerage, we did not have any internal designers or any content creators. I was looking to hit the ground running; I didn't want to start by actually bringing on a full time designer but I had some immediate needs.

How did you come to work with Illustria?

Illustria reached out to our Chief Executive Officer, and he had forwarded their message to me. I was actually very intrigued with the model and realized that there's no risk. We can try it for a month; if we don't like it, we can walk away. That was back in April and we've done many projects since then. I'd say I'm very pleased with the service.

I've worked with lots of agencies in the past, so I didn't really want to get locked in with one agency. At the outset of starting to build the marketing department, it was hard to foresee exactly what I would need, so it was nice to have a resource on demand. I also like the fact that Illustria has an entire team of designers, whereas in an agency you might get assigned to one or two.

In this case, there's lots of talented people there that could potentially handle our work. You get a variety of experiences and a variety of styles. I like that.

My experience working with agencies is that you can give them lots of direction but they're still going to spend the first two rounds doing what they want to do, they want to be value add. I get that, but that's not always what I want. Illustria, is much more comfortable in taking the input that I give them. I'll write copy, give wire frames and design references.

I want to get the ball as far down the field as I possibly can before I hand it over to them, so that they can take the ideas, polish them, refine them, and then still add value. They don't just take the order. They add value to the piece that I want value added to and then give it back. So far that's worked really well.

I would say over $10,000 less than $50,000.

We will continue this partnership.

From a qualitative point of view, everybody here has been very happy with Illustria’s work. One of the things I tried to do coming in, was simply develop content with a consistent look and feel that we could apply across all of our materials, really the basic stuff like PowerPoint templates and document templates. Just simple stuff like that, it makes a big difference.

People notice that consistency right off the bat. They noticed that not only was it consistent but that it was a new look. That it was fresh and modern and that makes a difference. People start to see those little changes add up around the organization. They start to feel excited about it.

What distinguishes Illustria from other providers?

I would say that Illustria is very responsive. They really do take the time to understand the needs. They ask great questions when things aren't clarified. They can turn things around very quickly. As I said before, because they have such a big team of designers, you don't fall into the trap that you often have when you find a freelancer to work with, where the freelancer is scheduling you and balancing your needs with a bunch of other clients’ needs. It just works.

I can throw something over to Illustria and they jump right on it. I get emails back that say “Hey, we've got this; we'll get you an estimate.” They give me updates throughout the project to let me know where it is, and when I can expect the next round. It's actually very rare that I need to pick up the phone and talk to them, which I think is actually a testament to how well they communicate and how well they manage the workflow.

Is there anything Illustria could have improved or done differently?

I'm constantly giving them pointers, as a client. For the most part, they're really nailing it. I can see them growing as a company and I think that they've got a good future ahead of them. At least I hope so because I like using them!

They've been really great at meeting timelines and that's a rare thing.
    I already have.

Branding and Print Campaign for Marketing Organization

"They've responded openly and favorably, and we're on a great track for a wonderful partnership. "

Illustria helped a destination marketing organization to create consistent branding. The team works on an as-needed and ongoing basis to complete any brand work necessary.

San Francisco Bay Area
VP of Marketing, Non-profit Marketing Organization

The work so far has been great and looks much better than previous products. Illustria brings new ideas to the table, becoming part of the in-house team. Due to the initial project success, they will continue to work on the organization's branding into the foreseeable future.

We are a destination marketing organization. It's our job to attract visitors to our region through creative marketing campaigns, community outreach, and sales initiatives.

I am the vice president of marketing.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Illustria?

Just aside from the normal challenges of building and maintaining a brand – nothing unusual.

No day is ever the same. One month we may have nothing for Illustria to complete and then, the next month, we may have three or four projects. I was looking for access to a talent pool without having a full-time graphic design team in house. Illustria provided that for me and still does provide that. I've expanded my contract with them from 10 hours a month to now a 150 hours bulk during the course of the next six months and possibly plan to expand that even further.

How did you come to work with Illustria?

I believe it was just a response to an email I received from one of their team members. She was just really pleasant, persistent, and very professional in all of her dealings with me. I was very intrigued by their business model and did not consider other agencies.

Our partnership with Illustria lands in the $10,000 to $50,000 bucket.

Our partnership is ongoing and will likely continue to grow.

I don't have any quantitative metrics because our partnership is still in the early stages. But, qualitatively, I think that we're on a great new track. They just redesigned the cover of our next visitor's guide that is debuting soon which I'm very proud of and very pleased with. They also redid our annual report for 2015, which we presented to our stakeholders at a recent meeting in August. All those things from a qualitative standpoint look leaps and bounds better than what has been produced in the past via an in-house team at our company. I am confident that we're going to continue working together fluidly, and the more I work with Illustria, the better it gets.

What distinguishes Illustria from other providers?

I think that Illustria brings some great ideas to the table, and they feel like part of our in-house team. They've made changes and have responded to adjustments that we've requested in the beginning portions of our partnership. They've responded openly and favorably, and we're on a great track for a wonderful partnership.

Is there anything Illustria could have improved or done differently?

The process of filling out a project brief online can sometimes be cumbersome. I know they are working to improve it. I understand why it's there but in the rapid pace of a typical day there's often not enough time to go in and do that paperwork so that they can get started and send in the estimate. They've changed that for me specifically where they have entered the project for me after a conversation versus me having to go in.

Silver