We build authentic brands.

Headquartered in the heart of sunny San Diego, Ignyte is a different kind of branding firm. We specialize in brand strategy, identity and storytelling, offering a unique range of expertise under one roof. Our purpose is to help companies discover their authenticity, and leverage it to create brand stories that engage and inspire. We believe that when it comes to brands, nothing is more essential than authenticity. It’s where purpose, integrity, and passion are born.

San Diego, CA
  • Ignyte
    704 J Street
    San Diego, CA 92101

Branding & Web Design for Mountain Adventures Company

“We thought we knew what we wanted, but they helped us see what we actually needed.”

Sept. 2016 - Mar. 2017

Ignyte designed a custom website and led a branding initiative (creating customer segments and detailed profiles) in order to increase online presence as well as establish brand identity and strategy.

Bellingham, Washington
John Minier
Owner, Baker Mountain Guides

Ignyte’s contributions helped promote newfound expansion, resulting in both growth and a continuing trend of exceeding targets. Their leadership challenged norms to encourage unconventional thinking around business models, providing guidance regarding the brand, customers, and overall objectives.

I’m the owner of Baker Mountain Guides. We provide mountain adventures and courses in the North Cascades, backcountry skiing adventures and courses, as well as rock climbing and avalanche education.

What challenge were you trying to address with Ignyte?

We’d been fairly successful in our first few years of business, but found that we were falling behind regarding our web presence and brand quality. We’d built a nice website when we started, but we needed a brand refresh.

Brian (Founder & CEO, Ignyte) offered me what I needed and not what I thought I wanted. His approach to branding and web design really distinguished Ignyte from others. Brian came to us with a really well thought-out process for how they approach branding. They also informed me about different aspects and steps involved: discovery phases, learning about your business, customer research (i.e., creating customer segments, detailed profiles), brand strategy, and brand identity.

From there, we were able to build a website with a good information architecture and targeted messaging for certain customer segments in a concise and effective way. We got what we wanted (i.e., the website), but also received something we really needed, which was the rebrand.

Brian was our first point of contact. We also worked with a copy editor who produced a lot of great content. I went back and forth with him a lot regarding which words to use and in what order. He put a lot of time and effort into thinking about what phrasing would be correct for certain things and was also very detail-oriented.

We also worked with one of their team members on customer research. She helped us come up with targeted customer segments that she could call, as well as helped identify questions we wanted to ask. She provided feedback and the results from that. We also worked with another team member on design who was very detail-oriented as well.

How did you come to work with Ignyte?

I called around, but most people just wanted to make our existing website look nicer. I knew I wanted more than just a new web template.

Brian was a client of ours who came up a few years ago and did a climb with us. I talked with him about branding while we were climbing. I contacted him when we started considering this project to see if he knew anyone who did websites, not knowing he did them himself. I talked to him a lot and decided to move forward with him on the brand refresh as well as the custom website.

We spent $70,000 for the brand refresh and web redesign.

We started working with them in September 2016 and completed the project in March 2017.

In order for any other business aspects, elements, or marketing plans to be effective, they must be rooted in a solid foundation of who you are, what you do, and why you do it. This is what Brian referred to as “authenticity,” which is something customers also identify with as well.

I can’t say exactly what the ROI for the rebrand and website redesign is. I do know that we’d reached our saturation point for our current business structure and identity when we approached Ignyte. We were still growing, but we weren’t expanding into new markets. I was having a hard time seeing how to take the brand to the next level, whether it be international or statewide expansion. We’d reached this peak in terms of qualitative interaction around customer interaction.

Since the brand refresh and new web design, we’re now in a position where we can start over. There’s enormous potential to create something new in order to grow and expand our business for another five years. Our business has continued to grow and we’ve continued to either meet or exceed targets. More importantly, everyone here feels that the business has more potential than it used to. That alone is empowering and contributes to our continued growth because everyone is excited to be on board.

How did Ignyte perform from a project management standpoint?

This process is difficult because the people in charge of the business are asked a lot of tough questions. Getting that information out of people can be hard and sometimes requires a more openly confrontational environment. I became frustrated at times, as did Brian, but he was honest from the very start. He’s good at provoking people to make them better at what they do. He challenges people who are often in authoritative roles (e.g., business owners, managers) over their own business model and tries to get them to do things they aren’t familiar with.

All of these things could’ve led to potential confrontation and frustration during the process, but ultimately, everyone was mature and realized that there was a bigger end goal at play. We knew that the final outcome would be better than what we started with.

There were both pain points and times when things flowed really well. In terms of project management, these challenges were necessary to the overall process.

All of the steps in the process put us through a self-discovery phase and helped us better understand why we’re in business, what we’re selling, how we’re selling it, and who our customers are. The brand strategy was a really beautiful outcome that I didn’t expect. Brian created a concise definition of what a brand is, what it stands for, and how it interacts with the world. We thought we knew what we wanted, but they helped us see what we actually needed.

I’ve mentioned this to Brian and he’s aware of it, but he can sometimes be a little too hands-on with a project. He wants to be involved with all different aspects of what is happening and what his team members are doing for clients. He means well, but they could benefit from him being a bit more hands-off.

Overall Score In general, we really liked working with Ignyte. Brian is a great guy with a great team and a good process.
    We definitely felt like things could have been planned out a bit more in advance, but it was still good.
    We spent more on this than any other guide service ever has. Once we understood the their services, we understood why it costs what it does.
    Our brand and website are the best in our industry at this point. It’s all now very modern and distinguishes us from competitors.
    I always recommend them to other guide service owners who I have a good relationship with and who I know wants to succeed.