Great Ideas Have No Boundaries.

At Kick, branding and design is our business. And our ideas are based on the simple belief that great brands don’t live in industry silos.

We aim to build brands that are brilliantly designed and beautifully connected, from the mightiest of launches to the tiniest of online interactions. We’ve created and re-energized brand experiences for challenger brands and industry giants, from med-tech to beauty, pet food to footwear, restaurants to running events.

2001
Minneapolis, MN
  • 911 West 50th Street
    Minneapolis, MN 55419

Becton Dickinson, Cargill, Deckers Brands, eyebobs, MN Opera, Oxbow Animal Health, Tone It Up, Victor Pet Food

Branding & Design for Consumer Food Company

"They’re great at coming up with creative concepts to build brands from the ground up."

Sept. - Nov. 2018

Ideas that Kick helped develop branding, package designs and copy for a line of breakfast food products.

1,001-5,000 Employees

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Creative Director, Consumer Food Brand

The team creates research-driven designs that resonate with target audiences. Responsive and reliable, they excelled at collaborating with internal stakeholders. Customers can expect a deadline-driven team.

I’m the Creative Director at a food manufacturing company. I handle the creative development for half of the brands that we produce.

What challenge were you trying to address with Ideas that Kick?

We wanted to broaden our portfolio by extending an existing brand to encompass a granola product line. We wanted to introduce the new line with packaging that would differentiate it from competitors.

After writing a comprehensive creative brief  I met with the team to discuss goals and objectives at a kickoff meeting. Over the next few weeks, they researched various granola products and presented concept designs to us. We refined the concepts until we were happy with a solution. Then, the team delivered the designs and package copy in production-ready files for four granola flavors. The designs have only been on the shelf since January 2019.

I interact with the chief creative officer, account manager, designer and a copywriter.

How did you come to work with Ideas that Kick?

I found Ideas that Kick after looking online for companies with experience in consumer packaged goods. I  asked them to create a proposal and liked their work. Over the years, we’ve continued to go back to them for certain projects.

We’ve invested around $25,000 for this most recent project.

We began working together in September 2018 and finished up in November 2018.

They based designs for the granola product line off of sound research and ideating innovative solutions. In the past, they helped us radically redesign a product line that we weren’t having success selling. After they strategically recreated the packaging, it really resonated with the target audience. They’ve continued to refresh the brand since then.

How did Ideas that Kick perform from a project management standpoint?

They are a very collaborative team that’s eager to work with internal stakeholders. I appreciated this approach because I prefer a hands-on working style. Working closely with stakeholders has helped them understand our true business objectives and branding goals.

They’re easy to get in touch with, and they’re very responsive when we contact them. They’ve never had an issue producing deliverables by our deadlines.

I understand where their strengths lie, and so I relied on them when we were ideating new, smaller cereal brands. They’re great at coming up with creative concepts to build brands from the ground up. Also, they always consider the brand as a whole (e.g. thinking of the brand standards and branding mark), instead of only thinking about the individual product.

When they create concept designs and then present them back to us, they might offer a smaller range of ideas. For example, they could show three designs that they’re extremely confident in rather than 5–6 concepts. It is usually better to have fewer, more thought out designs to present to my marketing managers.

The more comprehensive the creative brief is, the better the product will be. It’s also important to hold a kickoff meeting in person. Clients will save time and resources if they make sure the vendor fully understands their goals at the start of the project.

Branding & Design for Arts Advocacy Org Reports

“I trust them to accomplish tasks and do high-quality work.”

Mar. 2014 - Ongoing

Ideas that Kick provides branding and design support for a print book and website. They created a theme and logo for the research project and ensured design consistently across physical and digital products.

Minnesota
Executive Director, Arts Advocacy Organization

Unlike many other firms, Ideas that Kick takes time to understand business needs to provide customized solutions. Numerous partners have given positive feedback on their design work, which effectively portrays complex research in an engaging way.

I’m the executive director of a statewide arts advocacy nonprofit. We manage a research collaboration of all the arts and culture organizations in the state.

What challenge were you trying to address with Ideas that Kick?

We publish our research every two years in a high-quality book and also archive it on our website. We needed a partner to manage the branding and design of both resources.

Ideas that Kick did the design of our first book, at which time they also designed a theme and logo for the project.  They connected with a web designer to optimize the site and make it consistent with the logo and design of the books. We reengage with them every two years to do the new book and update the website.

We interface with three people, including the owner.

How did you come to work with Ideas that Kick?

A partner recommended them. We put out a bid to numerous firms, and Ideas that Kick had the best proposal, so we hired them.

We’ve spent about $100,000.

We partnered in March 2014, and the work is ongoing.

Our national and state partners have commented on how good the design is. We use the books for advocacy work and education around the country, and the designs make our dry and complex figures much more engaging and easier to understand.

How did Ideas that Kick perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re dependable and stick to our schedule, sometimes even delivering early. I trust them to accomplish tasks and do high-quality work.

Our research can be pretty boring, but Ideas that Kick uses bold colors and fun designs to make it interesting. The design itself serves to deliver information and has been specifically tailored to our unique business needs. Not many firms will provide customized solutions like that.

No, I can't name anything specific.

Be clear about your goals so they can help you meet them.

For the work they do, their price is reasonable.
    I've already referred them.

Branding & Design for Greek Restaurants

"The simplicity of our logos and colors resonate with our customers and has garnered really positive feedback."

June 2016 - Ongoing

Ideas that Kick provides branding services that go beyond typical logo design and colors. They assisted with interior design and establishing a brand that can encompass several restaurants.

St. Paul, Minnesota
Angelo Giovanis
Owner, The Naughty Greek

Ideas that Kick is flexible and responsive to timeline and budgetary restraints. They provide an understanding of user needs and preferences; customers positively connect with their branding products. While they deliver positive results, providing customizable templates would increase their value.

I'm the owner of The Naughty Greek, and we have two restaurants under our brand.

What challenge were you trying to address with Ideas that Kick?

I was transitioning fields and needed help establishing my brand in the restaurant business.

I was moving from being a global director for physician education and training in the medical device world to opening restaurants and building a brand. I approached them with my ideas, goals, and experience in a field that dealt heavily with branding. I admitted to them that I didn't have experience in the hospitality industry, but I knew about branding and we began to work together to develop a brand that went beyond logos, images, or colors. In addition to those typical branding services, they helped me with the interior design, the overall feel of the brand, and the user experience starting from when they walk into the restaurant and lasting until they get home.

With their help, I was able to define my brand—without having to recreate it multiple times—and expand it over two separate locations in the Twin Cities. For the first restaurant, we had a timeline of three months to complete all of our milestones. After opening that restaurant in November, we continued to work together for the interior design and continuing our look and feel to the second restaurant, while still making it feel like a unique location. The continuation into the second restaurant didn't involve rebranding, or creating new logos, but instead how we could adapt our already existing material to the new space.

We've also done some advertising promotional campaigns, and during those, we needed the product within a few days. They never backed away from those challenges.

I interfaced initially with the principal owner, and after agreeing to work with each other, he brought in a principal designer that I worked with directly. There were more on the team, but the principal owner and designer were who I communicated with them on a regular basis.

How did you come to work with Ideas that Kick?

I had an existing relationship with Ideas that Kick from my previous field of work. I looked into two other companies to understand what everyone's budget looked like, and decided Ideas that Kick would be the best fit.

I've spent around $70,000.

We began working together June 2016, and have an ongoing relationship.

In the hospitality field, the most accurate feedback we can receive is through customer reaction. When customers walk in, I am constantly asked who helped with the interior design. We've seen customers come in because they recognize our name and brand. The simplicity of our logos and colors resonate with our customers and has garnered really positive feedback.

How did Ideas that Kick perform from a project management standpoint?

Ideas that Kick was very responsive and understood my restraints and budget as a small business owner. They were available on weekends, which is very important in the restaurant business, and came to my location whenever we needed an in-person meeting. They never treated me like I was insignificant, even though I am probably one of their smaller clients.

They didn't treat me like a number, but really took the time to understand my needs. Sometimes we needed things turned around very quickly, and other times we needed a strategic and thoughtful long-term commitment. They were very flexible in working with what we outlined and how we worked together in regards to my available budget.

The fact that they understand my needs is the most valuable asset that I have encountered while working with them. They understand me and my customer base. Throughout the project, they helped me stay focused on the timeline and business goals. They're very good at understanding my business and acting as a partner to keep the project consistent and reach our objectives.

As a small business, I have some financial constraints that. It would definitely be easier for me financially if my company was able to keep some of the templates Ideas that Kick create for us. It would give us the flexibility of being able to adjust the templates to fit our needs instead of always going back and redesigning because we don't always have the financial luxury of paying for new material. However, their value comes from what they create so that may not be possible.

Share your vision with them, but then don't afraid to let go and trust their experience. At the beginning of the project, I was very firm in what I envisioned, but after following their advice, we would get overwhelmingly positive feedback.

Overall Score My only reservation in giving them a five is because they don't provide us with the templates.
    Every deadline was met and they were good stewards of keeping me on track.
    It is expensive, especially as a small business, but the value is well worth it.
    I've already recommended them to people without any hesitation.

Branding Research & Strategy for Regional Opera Company

“[Ideas That Kick] guided us through the process while allowing us to be imaginative in our approach.”

Aug. 2016 - Aug. 2017

Ideas That Kick oversaw a complete digital rebrand including market research, brand insights, strategic messaging, logo design, and UX/UI redesign for an existing site.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Darby Lunceford
CMO, Minnesota Opera

An extensive market research phase allowed them to provide insightful feedback and make changes that simultaneously retain existing users and target new audiences. Attentive project management kept everyone on schedule, and the insights have had versatile applications across the client’s business.

I’m the chief marketing officer of Minnesota Opera, a regional opera company in Minnesota.

What challenge were you trying to address with Ideas That Kick?

We were looking to create a brand identity that would more effectively align with ongoing needs and the future of the organization.

The project started with a research phase, during which they worked with an outside research partner to collect information on our business. We did several focus groups and surveys to better understand current perceptions of the company, and Kick turned them into brand insights that we could apply to our marketing strategy.

The outcome was a series of suggestions on how to rebrand in line with how our audience felt about us. This included strategic messaging, design work around a logo change, and a practical brand launch campaign. They also redesigned our site to reflect the new brand in the overall user experience.

We primarily worked with their owner and chief strategist, a lead designer, and an account executive. The second owner would also sit in on design meetings and results meetings.

How did you come to work with Ideas That Kick?

We issued an RFP to explore potential options, and we knew that we wanted to work with a local company. We got in touch with Kick and really liked their proposed approach to the project. They seemed open to working on the project with us collaboratively and maximizing our understanding of our position within the market. Their designs were also very modern, which complimented our goals for updating the site.

We invested about $100,000.

We started working together in August 2016 and completed the project in November 2017.

We were recently in a new strategic planning process and their work heavily influenced the creation of our new vision. They helped us target new audiences while retaining our existing one, and their brand identity work helped us tremendously in homing in on where the company is going.

How did Ideas That Kick perform from a project management standpoint?

We had a fantastic experience. They pushed us to adhere to timelines and challenged us to avoid old habits and outdated practices. They guided us through the process while allowing us to be imaginative in our approach. We communicated primarily over the phone, via email, and in person.

We felt that they were very much a partner of ours, and they invested in our work in a way that most providers do not.

We haven’t done other rebranding projects, but nothing comes to mind.

Advice for potential customers?

Think about the outcomes you’re looking for and how they relate to the scope of work, rather than adding additional work as you go. In retrospect, we probably could have built a few more features into the original project.

They were always pushing us to stay on schedule.
    We had some scope creep, but the overall price made sense for us as a smaller nonprofit.
    They listened carefully and came back to us with the best solutions for our project.
    I’ve already recommended them.