Meet Your New Best Friends

ICONA is a crew of accomplished marketing professionals that believe in a more personal level of service. Every member of team has been working in their area of expertise for a long time, and we're good at letting you know what to expect and when to expect it. We execute with enthusiasm and certainty, leaving the guesswork and the sales hype for others. Our core philosophy is one of cooperation and collaboration.

As a boutique agency, we don't approach our work as a commodity-based enterprise. Every website is unique, and each client requires a unique approach. Your business is managed by the same contact from start to end, and when you work with us you get exactly what's needed to create your marketing solution, with no extra puffery to pay for.

Whether your project comes to a complete close or reaches a stage of steady growth, we like to get feedback on your experience, how we did in terms of meeting your goals and expectations, and anything we can do to improve the quality of the service and the level of attention we provide. So we'll close out with a few more questions, and we'll get to know each other all over again. We hope you find our style of business in line with your values.

2005
Calgary, Canada
  • By Appointment Only
    Calgary, AB T2T2B7
  • By Appointment Only
    Montreal, QC H9W5E3

• LivingWorks Education is social enterprise of global presence
  • Canadian Cattlemen's Association works on a wide range of issues that concern Canadian beef
  • The School of Public Policy focused on strengthening Canada’s public service and bridging the gap between business, government and academia.
  • Cuming & Gillespie Injury Lawyers

Cuming & Gillespie Injury Law Image

Cuming & Gillespie Injury Law

LivingWorks Education Image

LivingWorks Education

LivingWorks Education offers courses and develops training modules and materials for thousands of 'trainers to be' worldwide.    We developed an online platform to manage course certifications / materials accessible to users on a tier-based membership. As members take on additional course certifications, they are granted additional (course specific) access. The website manages thousands of users across the globe.
DUI Lawyer David G. Chow Image

DUI Lawyer David G. Chow

ICONA was hired to promote Calgary DUI lawyer David Chow through the design of a custom website.

DohaNanny App Image

DohaNanny App

Where expats in Qatar
Find a nanny or maid
Local. Trusted. Recommended.

Susan Karpa Defence Lawyer Image

Susan Karpa Defence Lawyer

Susan approached ICONA to develop a website for her legal practice.  She was competing against many criminal defence firms in Calgary.  ICONA built her a website and ranked her top of rankings for Calgary Criminal Lawyer in Google Canada.

Roulston Urquhart Criminal Defence Image

Roulston Urquhart Criminal Defence

The goal was to rebrand this criminal law firm with the design of a new website, as well as to reposition the team as leaders in the area of Criminal Defence. The website has generated a 200% increase​ in new accounts.

Canadian Cattlemen's Association Image

Canadian Cattlemen's Association

Canadian Cattlemen's Association represents Canada's cattle industry and the 68,000 producers that make their livelihood raising cattle. The challenge was to organise volumes of content into seemingly smaller / manageable categories with quick access for all audience segments. Website engagement increased over %250 with the new site.

The Downtown Sports Clinics Image

The Downtown Sports Clinics

The Downtown Sports Clinics - Calgary’s premier physiotherapy and rehabilitation centres since 1985.  We designed a visually compelling site and positioned the human capital as the focal point for user experience. The site has recorded an increase of 525% user engagement.

Website Development for Baby Product Distributor

"ICONA understands our business and they design and build according to that knowledge."

2002 - Ongoing

ICONA has been a long-time partner and has developed multiple websites, including both B2B and B2C sites. Recent development projects have been built using Magento.

President, Baby Product Distributor

The quality of the websites has consistently met expectations. ICONA is a smaller firm, allowing for a strong, personal connection between the teams and the project goals.

Oyaco Products Inc. is a distribution company of baby, maternity, and children’s products in Canada. I am the owner.

What challenge were you trying to address with ICONA?

They developed my first website 15 years ago.

They’ve done several websites for us including B2B and B2C with e-commerce aspects. They did both the design and development of those sites. The current website is built in Magento after looking at some options.

How did you come to work with ICONA?

It was so long ago, but I think we reached out to them.

How much have you invested with ICONA?

A typical project with them costs between $50,000 and $75,000.

We started working with ICONA about 15 years ago, and we continue to work with them.

We are happy with what they’ve done for us. The quality of the sites has met our expectations.

How did ICONA perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re a smaller firm so if I would grade their project management I would give them a 7 out of 10.

What did you find most impressive about ICONA?

Because they’re a smaller firm, there is more of a personable relationship with those working on the project. ICONA understands our business and they design and build according to that knowledge.

Are there any areas ICONA could improve?

Everything’s done online including their project management system. I personally like to micromanage, so it would be good to have updates through weekly meetings.

Website Development for Sports Rehabilitation Center

"The caliber of people which ICONA assigned to us was immensely impressive."

Jan. 2016 - Ongoing

ICONA developed a website, complete with design and content development. They continue to monitor SEO [search engine optimization] efforts and Google advertising campaigns.

Director, Sports Rehabilitation Center

ICONA's team handles the project professionally and has provided creative solutions to drive more business. Their communication method is efficient and productive, even without face-to-face meetings.

We are a sports medicine company located in Alberta, Canada. We deal with injured athletes, mainly amateurs. We have been around for over 30 years. I am the director of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with ICONA INC?

We wanted the ability to connect with the millennial generation, regarding the services that we could offer, and what we could do for them. Our website was 5 years old, the technology had changed, and we had a recession happening in Calgary. Most of the business we'd seen in the last 15-20 years was through word-of-mouth. With the population aging and with the dramatic layoffs occurring, we felt that we needed a different avenue for attracting the younger population of downtown Calgary.

ICONA provided website development for our company. They provided a fabulous team of copywriters and designers which allowed us to reflect on how we did our business. More than redesigning the website, we rebuilt it from the ground up. Every bit of content was analyzed, which forced us to look at our business structure and model. This didn't cause a significant change, but rather more documentation and more communication with our staff. It was a very good exercise to go through, although it was difficult, given the time and energy involved. We were very happy with the process.

How did you come to work with ICONA INC?

The company that performed our initial analysis is based out of Edmonton. They recommended some different strategies for our organization, one of them being a new website. They recommended 2-3 Edmonton companies, but, considering our location and the fact that we're in a fairly significant recession, I wanted to use a Calgary company. There were some investigations done, and I believe that ICONA was recommended by the Chamber of Commerce.

How much have you invested with ICONA INC?

The cost of our project was between $30,000 and $40,000.

We started working with ICONA 12 months ago. They continue to monitor our SEO, as well as handling our Google advertising.

This is a hard question to answer, given our market. Alberta has been hit viciously with an energy crisis, which led to some layoffs in downtown Calgary. Our buildings have around 20% vacancy, which didn't exist even 12 months ago, and the figure is expected to rise by the end of 2017.

Despite this, I would say that we're doing pretty well. We've been able to hold year over year, even though we haven't seen a particular increase in our business since the site was launched in August 2016. At the same time, we haven't seen the 20-25% slide reported by other healthcare businesses in our area.

People are going to the internet and choosing the physicians they want to see based on their web-style bios, which came as a suggestion from ICONA. The user is better able to identify their own problems with those of someone else. We've heard this a lot from clients who have asked to see individual practitioners based on what they read online. We are attracting more people involved in extreme sports, but who also have families. This combination of giving our personal information along with our professional interests has drawn a different type of clientele, which we may not have seen previously.

How did ICONA INC perform from a project management standpoint?

ICONA's team was good and thorough at the front-end. We did end up being delayed by 4-6 weeks, but that came as a combination of us not understanding what our commitment was at times, and a staff emergency on ICONA's side. There wasn't anything that would make me say ICONA wasn't as good as what they presented initially. They managed the internal glitch really well.

ICONA has an interesting way of doing business, by which everything is handled over the internet, with few face-to-face communications. I found that a bit awkward in the beginning, given that I like getting to know people, but the process was painless. If we did need to meet for more complex issues, there was never any hesitation on ICONA's part. I put that down as being the way business is done in the modern world, for efficiency.

What did you find most impressive about ICONA INC?

I appreciated the precision in ICONA's way of doing the work. Nothing was ever grey; if we had any questions, they were clearly explained, in a quick and efficient manner. The caliber of people which ICONA assigned to us was immensely impressive. There is a high standard of professionals that were involved in our project.

Are there any areas ICONA INC could improve?

If ever there was anything that wasn't working, we could email or call ICONA's principal and have the issue dealt with right away. It was usually a case of my team being unclear about terminologies and what things meant. We've had to ask a bunch of questions, but we did receive the answers.

ICONA stuck to estimates. The goal was to increase our business, which hasn't happened, but that was more because of our market, and not ICONA's work.

Website Redesign for Cattle Industry Association

"I found ICONA to be very collaborative ... I appreciated ICONA's expertise on everything."

2012 - Ongoing

ICONA has been involved in many projects with the client, including a website rebuild, logo redesign, and newsletter formatting. The four-year engagement remains ongoing.

Gina Teel
Communications Manager, Canadian Cattlemen's Association

The client speaks very highly of ICONA's project management, stating that they performed far better than previous firms. Additionally, their ability to list and adapt designs to the project specifics is spoken highly of.

The Canadian Cattlemen's Association is a non-profit organization advocating on behalf of beef producers. The provincial associations are our direct members. Through them, we represent the people who produce beef cattle on the ground. I am the communications manager of the association.

What challenge were you trying to address with ICONA?

When I came onboard, the communications part of the association was in a state of disarray. I was tasked with making it a viable working department. ICONA had to address several challenges for us.

First, our old site had issues, mainly because it wasn't branded properly. It had problems in terms of visuals and usability. ICONA had been involved in the previous build; it wasn't their greatest work. That’s mainly because there wasn't one person of authority within our organization. They found themselves working with people who often had conflicting opinions about what the website should look like. Our website was built with no clear direction from anyone, and ICONA was the first to admit this.

Second, we'd had the same logo since the 70s and it really didn't capture the high-level work that our association does. Our organization deals with federal governments and we're a trusted source of information internationally, not just in Canada. The general public wasn't aware of that because of a lack of adequate branding. I decided to try out ICONA and see how they would perform.

ICONA has been involved in many small tasks for our organization. A major project was the total rebuild of our website. With the new build, we discussed if there was anything salvageable from the old website. There was some content but, in terms of architecture, there wasn't a whole lot. Based on best practices and award-winning website designs, I came to them with a vision of a striking website for our association.  ICONA determined how we could get people to our page, what should be on it, and how many clicks it took to get to content. They handled our content management system.

ICONA also worked on a logo redesign. The default for the beef industry is to have a silhouette of a heifer or a cow, and I didn't want to do that. ICONA listened to what I was trying to capture and came back with a design. It didn't take too many changes or alterations in order to be finalized. We presented 3 design options to the board and everyone seemed to be happy with the one which I also liked the most.

In addition, ICONA provides the layout for a bi-weekly newsletter. I am able to change content on our website through the CMS. Certain elements like images need fine adjustments at times, so I let ICONA do this.

How did you come to work with ICONA?

They were in place before I started working for the organization. I'm always surprised when I see ICONA's other work. I recently managed an RFP for a separate division of our organization and ICONA was invited to apply. I looked at their corporate work for lawyers' offices, mental health associations, and so on. I was astounded by the level of quality, especially since I'd only been focused on our own designs over the last few years. ICONA has an excellent design team, which is important when going back-and-forth on ideas. No client wants to get stuck paying for 100 revisions.

How much have you invested with ICONA?

The cost of ICONA's recurring services has been between $18,000 and $20,000 per year, not including web development.

We started our project with ICONA 4 years ago.

I found ICONA to be very collaborative. If any of my ideas proved too demanding from a technical or budget perspective, ICONA let me know. They either found a better option or simply abandoned that piece. I appreciated ICONA's expertise on everything. When we launched our new website, we needed to address a number of issues with the old one. Many people were coming to our website and searching for things so that functionality needed to be top-notch. People have complimented us on all of those points, especially in terms of look and ease of navigation. Our organization is active on social media. Users have come to know that if a piece of information is not on our Twitter account, it will be found on our site's main page. Any urgent or important information can be easily published there. Website engagement has increased by about 450%, compared to the old page.

Even though no one hated it, some people have told us that they liked the old logo better. Those are people who probably haven't changed much in the last 30 years, so this opinion doesn't hold a lot of weight with us. There was a lot of push-back from our own board because the new logo was a departure from what had been in place since forever. I felt that the new logo was a more professional touch for our organization, reflecting our high level of work.

The new website and redesigned logo became the signature of the association. They signaled to everyone that we were projecting ourselves differently. Even though we weren't resting on our laurels, we did have an enviable track record, a solid brand, and an excellent reputation.

How did ICONA perform from a project management standpoint?

ICONA is extraordinary in this regard. When we engaged them for a chat on any project, ICONA was good at letting us present our ideas then articulated what that involved on their end. From our initial meetings, we started a discovery process. ICONA created a document which helped manage the process. It clearly outlined how many hours of work each piece entailed. The document also presented what was included in the package, from technical systems to photography services. ICONA has helped me become a better project manager because I understood the level of detail required, from cost to deliverables.

What did you find most impressive about ICONA?

We have a very small communications staff so I've appreciated ICONA's flexibility in working through long weekends. I know what their needs are and ICONA also understands my needs. ICONA has listened very well. Judging by their range of clientele, I've found that ICONA adapts designs to the particular business or association with which it's trying to communicate. That’s both from a visual and a written perspective. They gave us access to high-quality writers and designers.

I come from a newspaper background where the rule was that graphic designers would try to fill up 3 quarters of a page, with only 2 columns left for print. I never got this from ICONA. Their designers understood our vision as long as it was clearly articulated. Whenever we asked for 3 to 4 versions of a design, one of them was always close to perfect while the second was a maybe. We could all agree that the third was not the right choice. This was actually helpful in nudging the decision in the right direction.

Are there any areas ICONA could improve?

ICONA has a small staff and I can understand this, but I don't know what their long-term plans are. We've never had this conversation because ICONA was always extremely accessible to me.

Overall Score The experience has been very positive. It took a while for our teams to get used to each other, but we've done so much work with ICONA, that we've come to understand each other implicitly, which is something that I treasure.
    I never found their timelines to be unreasonable. Even if ICONA is a small shop working on numerous projects at the same time, I was never made to wait. If anything, any missed targets were on my end.

Website Development and Support for University

"ICONA has been the best team that I've worked with in terms of deliverables. They were on time and on budget."

2015 - Ongoing

ICONA developed the client's website using WordPress. The project had a focus on site functionality and appealing design.

Communications Specialis, University

According to the client, ICONA has a strong work ethic and industry knowledge. Additionally, they properly managed the project budget and timelines.

We are policy school for a university. I am the Communications Specialist of the institution.

What challenge were you trying to address with ICONA?

We needed to rework our website, focusing on publications and databases. The website needed to look good, but also be functional and appealing to researchers and students.

ICONA developed our website based on our wireframes and concepts. ICONA provided a number of platform options, but we found that WordPress would be the best fit for us. We merged ideas from other sites into a better version of our own page, which is how every process should start. We had several meetings with ICONA's team over the course of 2 months and made subsequent changes as we moved along. The data from our previous site needed to be migrated. I had worked with the platform in the past, so I could deal with information updates on my own, with guidance from ICONA.

How did you come to work with ICONA?

I was in charge of reaching out to the best company for the job, through an RFP [request for proposal] process. Many of the companies considered had very poor customer service and didn't meet the deadlines of the RFP. If they couldn't even handle this, it would be unlikely that they'd meet the actual job deadlines. ICONA responded to us within the first day and had an above-board proposal. In the end, their customer service won them out. ICONA was awarded the bid, and did the job successfully.

How much have you invested with ICONA?

The total cost of our project with ICONA was around $30,000.

We started working with ICONA one year ago. We have an ongoing relationship.

I have worked on a website launch for a different university. ICONA has been the best team that I've worked with in terms of deliverables. They were on time and on budget.

We're still working out certain items, making changes which we identified after people started using the site. I am in contact with ICONA a few times per day, getting feedback and clarifications on things that I'm unsure of. ICONA has been fantastic in every area possible.

How did ICONA perform from a project management standpoint?

I had to manage the project on my end, but ICONA also provided several managers, who were all the best I'd worked with.

What did you find most impressive about ICONA?

I appreciated ICONA's work ethic. Their owner is highly intelligent and probably knows more about this field than anyone I've seen in the industry. He also has many quality individuals working for him. ICONA was an extremely knowledgeable and reliable company, going above and beyond what needed to be done, without charging us more for additional changes.

Are there any areas ICONA could improve?

No. I would hire ICONA again in a second.

Overall Score I see us working together for a long period of time. Being a university, our website needs to change and grow. ICONA has looked into additional development phases.
    ICONA met every single deadline.
    They were always on budget.
    From start to finish, ICONA maintained the budget and timelines while also exceeding our design expectations.

Website Design for Crisis Intervention Training Company

"They don't move too quickly in providing a solution because they want to be really thorough."

2011 - Ongoing

ICONA assisted a training company with a number of projects over the course of their partnership, including development on public, member, and registration sites.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Mary Cook
Project Coordinator, LivingWorks Education

ICONA contributed to successful websites that received excellent feedback from their users. The agency also assisted by streamlining some of the organization's operations and processes. They earned particular praise for their responsiveness and communication.

The company is called LivingWorks Education. It's an international suicide prevention training company. We have an actual base of 7,000 trainers worldwide delivering ASIST and safeTALK programs.

What is your position and responsibilities?

I am the project coordinator and materials management at LivingWorks.

What business challenge were you trying to address with ICONA?

We were in a position of needing to have a website redesigned. It had actually just been redesigned by a different company here in Calgary, and it was immediately not meeting the requirements. We put out an RFQ [request for quotation], and they were most interested in helping us.

It's actually been a number of projects during the last probably four years, starting with a phase one rebuild of our public and member trainer sites. We've also done other projects, such as conference registration sites.

How did you come to work with ICONA?

I learned of them through a coworker.

It was probably anywhere from $20,000 to $80,000 in a year.

The projects are ongoing. They are our source corporate vendor for website development, and we continue to work with them on an ongoing basis.

It's kind of a challenge for us to measure, because our website has been very, very well received, both by the public and the trainers. I don't have any Google Analytics in front of me right now to speak to, but it's been very positive. Also, some of the work that has happened has actually helped us to improve some of our internal business processes.

How did ICONA perform from a project management standpoint?

If I were to rate it on a scale, I would probably say eight out of 10. They were quite good with responsiveness and communication.

What distinguishes ICONA from other providers?

ICONA has been very good at coming on board, interested in terms of what our own internal business processes are, helping us assess what we need to do, and how our website can help support our goals and our mission. Even when we're starting to draft concepts for web, they come back, and they ask quite a lot of questions. They don't move too quickly in providing a solution because they want to be really thorough.

Is there anything ICONA could have improved or done differently?

Sometimes, I would like to see the speed or the timelines shortened for some of these projects. I understand what some of the frustrations would be on their side, but just more timeliness on some of the more complex projects.