A full-service Seattle advertising agency

WHAT WE DO
Inspired by the simplest element in the universe, Hydrogen Advertising harnesses the power of simplicity to help local, regional and international advertising clients succeed.

HOW WE DO IT

Simple: with strategy, creative, and marketing. Our 3C’s strategic method leads us to a key takeaway that is ownable, relevant and stands out from the competition. Our creative team works closely with clients to get to a message that resonates. And our marketing team makes media dollars go further with the right mix of paid, earned, and owned media along the path to purchase.

WHAT MAKES US DIFFERENT
We are a small, nimble, full-service agency packed with industry veterans. We know the ropes. And as a member of Worldwide Partners, we share resources and ideas with 65 independent agencies in 50 countries, giving our clients the power of a large agency, without the large agency overhead.

2001
Seattle, WA
  • 1520 4th Avenue
    Seattle, WA 98101

Icynene, 365 by Whole Foods Market, Whole Foods Market , Kohler, Heritage Bank, The Polyclinic, Keysight Technologies (formerly Agilent's Electronic Measurement), Accoya

Brand Awareness Advertising for Healthcare Clinic

"Hydrogen Advertising does a great job identifying ways to differentiate us in a sea of sameness."

2009 - Ongoing

Hydrogen Advertising provides brand awareness advertising services for a healthcare clinic. They support the creative development of out-of-home advertisements as well as lead media buying.

Seattle, Washington
Director of Marketing & Communications, Healthcare Clinic

The creation of a unique identity has been well-received. Hydrogen Advertising keeps projects on budget through excellent negotiation skills. They're in frequent communication, providing critical status updates during campaigns. Creativity and quality outputs set them up for an ongoing engagement.

I'm the director of marketing and communications at a multi-specialty healthcare clinic in Seattle, Washington.

What challenge were you trying to address with Hydrogen Advertising?

We work with them on brand awareness advertising. They help us build general awareness of the clinic in order to get new patients in the door.

Hydrogen Advertising does media buying as well as creative development and implementation of our brand awareness ads. We have them on retainer and they do all of our brand awareness advertising for the year. Most of what we’ve done with them is more traditional out-of-home ads such as billboards, buses, general transit, radio, and movie theaters. They do some online ads but we have a different agency that we use for digital.

In terms of process, we develop a creative brief together. They’ll do research on the marketplace to help us identify a space where the clinic can stand out against our competitors. Hydrogen Advertising helps us think through what specialties and services to focus on and where we're trying to grow. Where there's whitespace in the market, they’ll come up with creative based on mutually agreed upon goals about the business. They come up with the creative when we develop new campaigns. We typically use a particular permutation of an ad campaign for 2–3 years before they help us develop a new one.

We regularly work with five people, including a main point of contact. I don't know how many people they have working behind the scenes.

How did you come to work with Hydrogen Advertising?

I don't know. I've only been here four years and we've been working with them for a decade.

The partnership started around 2009, and work is ongoing.

We don't have any hard metrics because brand awareness is so difficult to measure. We used to do brand awareness surveys but we haven't done one for quite a while. Hydrogen Advertising does a very good job of finding unique whitespace for us. Seattle has a really competitive healthcare market. They’re fantastic at identifying a unique space for us to own.

Also, we have a fairly small media budget compared to our competitors. They do a nice job of making the budget work. Anecdotally, I've heard people say they thought the clinic was much bigger than it is based on how visible we are in the community and how visible our ads are. They do a really nice job both on the creative side and on the media side.

How did Hydrogen Advertising perform from a project management standpoint?

Their team does quite well. I regularly work with the VP of accounts, who has really good project plans and clear outlines. I come from an agency background so I understand how they work. Between the two of us, we do a pretty good job of keeping things on track and meeting deadlines.

Our communication depends on where we are in the campaign process. We try to check in monthly. I’ll talk to them several times a week when we're in the middle of developing a new campaign. We may even meet several times a month in person. Then I may not talk to them for several months once the campaign is underway in the market. We generally use email, in-person meetings, or phone calls.

Their creative execution is fantastic. Hydrogen Advertising does a great job identifying ways to differentiate us in a sea of sameness. Their media buyer negotiates incredibly well on our behalf to make sure we're getting the best possible deal. She also brings us great opportunities because of her relationship with vendors. They make our limited media dollars work really hard.

Their bill rates are fairly high. They’re efficient but they do employ a lot of senior people. While that makes them good at their job, the bill rate is high even on simple projects because of the lack of junior staff with lower rates.

As with any agency, treat them like a part of your team and give them information. You get out of Hydrogen Advertising what you put in. They can only do good work for you if you include them in important information and help them understand. Be clear about what you want from them and give them enough time to do their job. You can't expect an agency to work miracles and turn things around in a matter of weeks.

Overall Score They’re great and they do amazing work.
    I don't think they've ever missed a deadline.
    They always conform to our budgets but their rates are high.
    They consistently deliver exactly what we ask for.
    I’d recommend them for a smaller company because of their size.

Full-Service Advertising for International Natural Grocer

“Their team clearly loves what they do, and their passion drives excellence.”

Feb. 2014 - Dec. 2017

Hydrogen Advertising supported strategy and media for six store openings, coordinating between advertisers, timelines, and deliverables. They then provided comprehensive roadmaps and recaps for each campaign.

10,001 + Employees

Seattle, Washington
Marketing Coordinator, Natural Grocer

Hydrogen Advertising consistently produced positive ROIs, incorporating value-adding items into campaigns and securing excellent media buying rates. They worked well with any budget, assisting with seasonal projects as well as other creative needs. Their strong project management was key to success.

I’m the marketing coordinator for an international natural grocer, overseeing new start opening and retail marketing plans.

What challenge were you trying to address with Hydrogen Advertising?

We were looking for an agency that could coordinate all of the idiosyncratic details that come along with a multifaceted advertising plan. This involved navigating all of the different advertisers, designs, and specs to produce a timeline and deliverables list. The final product needed to be a turn-key roadmap that our internal team could follow.

In total, we’ve completed six store openings with Hydrogen Advertising. Their team handled all of the back-and-forth project management between ourselves and the advertisers, including ad deliverables, specs, substrates, and timelines. The media buying was particularly fantastic; they negotiated excellent rates for us and provided value-add into our packages.

Afterward, they gave us an extensive recap of everything we’d done together. This made it easier for me to compile my overall work and clearly show the added value. Outside of store openings, they supported us on seasonal campaigns and other projects.

I had two main points of contact, including Lauren Meadows-Rose (Media Director, Hydrogen Advertising), but there were also about 2–6 people working behind the scenes.

How did you come to work with Hydrogen Advertising?

My colleague had just started working with Hydrogen Advertising and referred me to them before he left the company. When I took over his position, I continued working with them. They became my right arm; I couldn’t even imagine what it was like before them.

While I can’t disclose the project size, I will say that they worked with all of our limitations, from large to small budgets. We didn’t keep them on retainer; rather, they worked project by project.

Their work lasted between February 2014–December 2017.

We got a fair amount of value from Hydrogen Advertising’s efforts, and they always produced a great ROI. There was rarely a time when I called them to ask about campaign performance. When they assisted with campaigns that had a clear call to action to our store through coupons or free item redemptions, those numbers were typically strong. In general, that value generation was built into the entire portfolio for the new store opening.

How did Hydrogen Advertising perform from a project management standpoint?

Not only were they easy to understand and organized, but they were also very clear about timelines while remaining flexible. That is to say, they established a schedule for when and what we needed to deliver. If we weren’t able to deliver, they still worked with us to troubleshoot, identifying realistic timelines and informing us of our options if we missed them.

Lauren has so much energy and passion around her work that it really felt like she and her team were a part of ours. They completely grasped our initiatives and our drives, not to mention the pressure we felt to perform; it’s a unique trait. I appreciated working with Lauren because she made me look amazing at my job. Their team clearly loves what they do, and their passion drives excellence.

No, I don’t think so. We went through a couple of iterations of their project management system, and they were very honest. They knew where their opportunities were and constantly worked to improve them.

Their a smaller firm, so you’re able to get a lot of personalized attention. As a result, what you get out of the experience depends on what you put into it. If you treat them as just another vendor taking an order, then that might impact your outcome. But if you engage in the relationship, then they’ll go to bat for anything you need.

They were easy to work with and very punctual. When we needed them to adjust the schedule, they were happy to accommodate.
    If they were on retainer, I’d give them a perfect score.
    From the ad buys to the recaps, they delivered everything in a professional and timely manner. I never had to go back and ask for missing work.
    I refer them all the time.