Industry Leading Digital Marketing Services

Hive Digital is a Benefit Corp who has been a part of the internet marketing industry for over 15 years.  We utilize empirically proven and effective digital marketing techniques to help our clients identify and achieve greater exposure online through the highest quality consultation, implementation, management, and support services for paid advertising, organic search optimization, website analytics, customer conversion, and social media marketing strategies.

Hive Digital, Inc., a for-profit Benefit Corporation, is not only passionate about the clients we work with, we are passionate about our team members and fully support them in their quest to live a happy, healthy and fully alive life.

Hive Digital earned a reputation of "zero to one million", empowering numerous companies to grow to a million in sales. Hive Digital's expansion into the remainder of online marketing has been similarly fruitful, creating the "rent-to-own" strategy for building and sustaining traffic and qualified leads for any website or business.

Hive Digital works closely with every client to develop and execute custom digital marketing programs with interactive white-glove service and dedicated support staff.

Hive Digital's commitment to excellence enables us to deliver top results that will bring a higher return on investment to any digital asset.

Hive Digital empowers mission driven, globally responsible companies, organizations, and individuals by amplifying their message through industry leading innovation and digital marketing expertise.

2002
Holly Springs, NC
  • 624 Holly Springs Rd. Suite 405
    Holly Springs, NC 27540

SEO & Paid Advertising for Financial Management Firm

“I recommend Hive without reservation; they provide excellent results and service.”

May 2015 - Ongoing

Hive Digital, Inc. is managing SEO and paid advertising campaigns while using Google Analytics and AdWords. They’ve revised web content, created links, and completed integrations as part of analytics tracking.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Catherine Goodman
National Marketing Manager, Summit Financial Resources

Traffic and leads have significantly increased in numbers and quality. Targeted keywords now rank higher and are more relevant than previous terms. The team uses a lean approach to provide accessible and responsive service. Customers can expect an easy partnership and great results, even with a smaller budget.

I’m the National Marketing Manager of Summit Financial Resources. We’re a commercial finance company that does accounts receivable and helps companies get cash through the assets that are tied up in their unpaid accounts receivable.

What challenge were you trying to address with Hive Digital, Inc.?

We launched a new website several years ago and internally ran our Google Ads without managing them fully. At a later point, we wanted a vendor to do both paid advertising and SEO for the site.

We have the two SEO and ad branches in place, but we’re no longer managing them ourselves. Hive Digital, Inc. does the keyword changes, targeted marketing, and budget management. We talk every week and they provide reporting and feedback on what we should adjust. For SEO, the team changes pages perpetually to include items such as downlinks. They’ve also partially integrated our CRM and fully integrated our online forms to make analytics tie into those documents. They use Google Analytics, Google AdWords, and a heat mapping tool.

We primarily interact with ad and SEO specialists, but have other contacts as well. The exact dynamic has changed over time. We also interface with Jeffrey (President and CEO, Hive Digital, Inc.).

How did you come to work with Hive Digital?

My web designer found Hive Digital, Inc. on my behalf through a combination of online searches and word-of-mouth. We chose Hive Digital, Inc. because they had the right amount of support for both paid advertising and SEO at a price point that made sense for our team.

We started working with them in May 2015 and the partnership is ongoing.

Our page rankings have gone up dramatically. That metric impresses me the most because it’s not a pay-to-play scenario; Hive Digital, Inc. accomplished those results with inbound links, keywords, and rewritten web content. We’re above the fold now for the keywords we want to use; previously, we had been page three or four. In addition, we’ve experienced more and better-quality traffic and leads. We used to get odd results for search terms that didn’t relate to our business, that happens less often now. I review those numbers because calls are difficult to track with analytics. Their team tracks forms and email leads.

How did Hive Digital, Inc. perform from a project management standpoint?

We have direct access to Jeff, who is an invaluable contact for us. I know I can email Jeff for anything, but I’ve never had to. As a whole, the team is fun, responsive, and proficient. They have good mechanisms in place for customer service and tracking. Whenever I email Hive Digital about something specific—such as SEO—they copy customer service on everything and then track internally.

The results are better than I expected. The team has improved our rankings significantly while accommodating our budget. We’ve had more than one project manager, but Digital Hive, Inc. handles the turnover exceptionally well. Their small team and lean approach created a seamless transition enabled to me to email anyone on their team and get a quick response. I don’t think another company could match their performance.

The team already makes everything so easy. They can jump in and get to work with no issue.

Overall Score I recommend Hive without reservation; they provide excellent results and service.
    I would definitely recommend them.

Outsourced Digital Marketing for Bar Events Services Company

“Hive's efforts have increased our website traffic by about 30%.”

Jun. 2018 - Ongoing

Hive Digital provides a broad range of marketing services, from SEO to social media strategy and digital advertising.

San Fransisco, California
Carlos Kronen
Executive Director, The Bartender Company

Hive Digital's digital marketing services have significantly boosted website traffic and online social engagement. Experts in their field, their staff is highly capable and proactive about delivering results and updating clients on progress. Their services have proven well worth the investment.

I'm the executive director of the Bartender Company, a provider of high-end private bar event services in the Bay Area, Calif.

What challenge were you trying to address with Hive Digital?

We hired Hive Digital to provide marketing services, including SEO and social media strategy.

Hive Digital provides a broad range of digital marketing services, including SEO, social media strategy, and digital advertising. They've conducted a website audit to help improve SEO, and utilize a variety of Google tools to track progress, including Analytics, Search Console, Tag Manager, and AdWords. A specialist is assigned to each specific type of digital marketing task as we take on new projects.

I've worked directly with five or six people, depending on the task. In addition to working with an account manager, we've worked with specialists in SEO, social media, web design, and so on.

How did you come to work with Hive Digital?

We thoroughly researched the top SEO companies we could find that were applicable to a company of our size. After calling upwards of 30 vendors, we narrowed our options down to five and reviewed presentations from each. Hive stood out for three reasons: they're experts in their field, they value the social component of our mission, and they take a consultative approach in their working relationships.

We started working together around June 2018 and the relationship is ongoing.

Hive Digital's efforts have increased our website traffic by about 30%. We're extremely thrilled with their results. We're also seeing some improvements in our social media engagement.

How did Hive Digital perform from a project management standpoint?

The project manager we work with has been incredibly helpful in ensuring deadlines are met. They generally reach out to me every week to keep me updated on their progress, which makes me feel like they're constantly making improvements and our continual spend is worthwhile.

Their level of knowledge in their industry and approach to project management sets them apart.

Hive Digital offers a paid reporting service, an in-depth analysis of your company's strategic marketing approach, that I highly recommend taking advantage of. We were hesitant at first to make a commitment to utilizing it, but we've found it to be extremely worthwhile in the long run.

SEO & AdWords Management for Nonprofit

"Their team is well-organized and happy to help with any aspect of the project."

Dec. 2018 - Ongoing

Hive Digital administrates a variety of SEO and Google AdWords campaigns to publicize events and programs.

Strategy Associate, Human Rights Foundation

Campaign performance has improved to the point that it can successfully maintain grant funding. Although Hive Digital could be more proactive in suggesting ideas, their timely deliveries, friendly attitude, and methodical approach greatly benefit the project.

I am a strategy associate currently managing our social media platforms, email marketing, and Google Analytics.

For what projects/services did your company hire Hive Digital?

We hired Hive Digital to help administer our Google AdWords grant and improve our SEO.

Our goals were to make the best use of our available funds to increase awareness of the programs and events we offer. We have focused so far on Flash Drives for Freedom, a program that disrupts the North Korean regime through information, and the Oslo Freedom Forum, our flagship human rights conference.

The Hive representative regularly checks in with me over email about the status of our advertising campaigns and asks for any information she needs to effectively administer them. We also have phone calls as needed.

The team consists of me and a project analyst at Hive.

Our campaigns are running at the levels needed to maintain our grant, which is an improvement over our past performance.

How did the Hive Digital perform from a project management standpoint?

Our Hive representative is very timely, professional, and helpful.

What impresses you about the Hive Digital?

Their team is well-organized and happy to help with any aspect of the project.

The Hive team could be more proactive, since they are the SEO experts, rather than waiting for our direction about how to proceed with the campaign. We would like to receive more strategic input rather than just implementation based on our vision.

Oasis Wellness Digital Marketing

"We've always received a good return on our investment."

Jan. 2004 - Ongoing

The team initially provided web development and design for an e-commerce nutraceutical company. Hive Digital now performs SEO services through link building and paid search in an ongoing relationship.

The Woodlands, Texas
CEO, Oasis Advanced Wellness

The relationship has lasted for over 10 years, and there has been a visible return on investment, with high rankings on dozens of keywords. Hive Digital has integrity and holds themselves accountable for all aspects of the project. Occasionally, there is a miscommunication, but the team always responds quickly.

Please describe your organization and your role and responsibilities.

The company is a nutraceutical company. We sell supplements and vitamins over the Internet as well as providing consulting services. I am the owner and founder.

What was your goal for working with Hive Digital?

We've been with Hive Digital ever since 2004, which is when we began operations. We use them for SEO services.

We used them for SEO work. Back then, they were doing some Web work and Web design for us. We worked very closely with their SEO team, using link building and paid search, which we continue to do with them to this day. We've been very satisfied.

What was your process for selecting Hive Digital with which to work?

I also worked with them before at another job, for a couple of years. We sourced them because we knew what they could do from where I worked before. We also wanted a company that we were familiar with and one that we had already established and proved to be reliable with us. We knew how they worked. We knew their commitment, honesty, and reliability.

Through the years, our investment has been in the thousands of dollars, maybe the hundreds of thousands. We've always received a good return on our investment. If there were ever times that I thought things could be better, they've always been very open to hearing what I had to say. We would talk about ways that we could implement new ideas.

They were always very open to providing us with services that were cost effective for a smaller firm. We shared our budget with them, and they were able to work with us. I can't think of a time when they haven't been able to work within our budget.

We are a small company and, in the beginning, we spent about $1,000 a month with them. Our return on investment was much more than that.

When was the project completed?

It is still ongoing work now. It’s all SEO [search engine optimization] work and the Web design and development concluded years ago.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

They helped us achieve much higher rankings for dozens of keywords.

I haven't worked with any other companies as closely as I've worked with Hive Digital. In my personal opinion, SEO companies are lot like going to a car dealership. You never know when the salesman is telling you the truth.

We had already established a relationship with Hive Digital, and I've worked with them in some form for about 15 years. It is very important to me that a company I work with has honesty and integrity. Has everything always been perfect? No. They have owned up to anything that needed to be changed. If there was something that they missed, they owned up to it and didn't try to wax it over with something or even blame it on the customer.

That integrity piece is tremendously meaningful to me. I need to know that people tell me the truth, whether it's what I want to hear or not. Hive Digital has always been good at doing that.

There may have been times when I thought that there had been specific instances of small details being missed. I don't really know what to say specifically since those issues were minor and forgettable. We've had a very open relationship. There have been times, as with any company, when you get a little frustrated. However, I've always felt that I could go to them and say that we need to do better on a particular item or that we need to find a solution to a challenge.

There was one time that I was a little concerned about the communication aspect. Because we know them very well, a lot of our communication is through email. It's quick for me, and it's quick for them. There was one time that I felt that they weren't understanding me or they were passing it around. I mentioned it one time, and it was taken care of. It wasn't something they were doing on purpose, but they heard a customer complaint and they did something about it.

I recommend Hive Digital all the time. In my opinion, they are one of the better companies out there...I would trust them with a company that had been in business for 30 years.They are always open and ready to serve...

Digital Marketing for Major Nonprofit

"Hive Digital has a great depth of knowledge on the topic in a way that only people who specialize in it can know."

Hive Digital initially performed SEO for a grant-making nonprofit centered around education and entrepreneurship. The relationship has now expanded to include consulting on analytics and web metrics.

Kansas City, Missouri
Director of Digital Marketing at Non-Profit

Hive Digital has run a successful SEO campaign which has improved keyword searches overall. The team shows great knowledge of SEO and Google analytics. Because they are a boutique firm, there can sometimes be issues with juggling clients, but overall, they are very responsive.

Please describe your company.

I work for a major nonprofit foundation. We have about a $2 billion endowment. We do grant making primarily around entrepreneurship and education. Education is mostly Kansas City-based. Entrepreneurship we look more nationally.

What is your role and responsibilities?

My role is director of digital strategy, so I handle oversight of Web, social media, email, and all related activities.

What was your goal for working with Hive Digital?

We've been using them for quite a while, maybe 10 years or so. Our original engagement was for search engine optimization, and they still help us in this area. We were not showing up in search results for keywords around entrepreneurship, and so they looked at our primary website and suggested some changes, so that was the start of it.

At this point, we still use Hive Digital for SEO [search engine optimization] for several of our sites and they provide consulting on analytics and Web metrics.

We have done some paid search engagements with them the past couple of years. Currently, we're not doing any advertising. We have had a few engagements for consulting here and there on social media. A small percentage of their work is related to content marketing and Google authorship.

What was your process for selecting Hive Digital with which to work?

It probably wasn't that scientific. Since we look at entrepreneurs, we had heard of their founder because he started Hive Digital from his dorm room basically. We'd done a series of articles about young founders, so we just decided to give him a try and stuck with him since then.

Can you provide a ballpark dollar figure for the size of the work that they've done for you?

We're below $100,000, but above $10,000 annually pretty consistently during the past 10 years more or less.

What were the results of the project?

The SEO and analytics are ongoing and successful.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

It's an ongoing SEO effort. It never stops. We have been well represented for entrepreneurship-related terms. There was a while when we had several results on the first page of returns for entrepreneurship. I think it's gotten a bit more competitive since then, but we still show well.

In that regard, it's been great. It's really hard to quantify anything on the analytics and metric side of things because that's just sort of pulling together key performance indicator sheets and ongoing discussions about what's performing well and what isn't. We have done some split testing projects like trying to drive more signups for our e-newsletter. I don't remember the exact percentage but, in time, we were able to bump the sign up rates at least several percentage points compared to where they had been through Hive Digital's efforts.

It's hard for me to compare since I've been using them for so long, but my sense is that it feels like a unique team, especially on the SEO side. Hive Digital has a great depth of knowledge on the topic in a way that only people who specialize in it can know the topic, all the ins and outs, how the Google algorithm is operating, etc.

It would be hard for me to find another firm that understands Google analytics and the various KPIs [key performance indicators] as well as Hive Digital. They're a small company, so I get that type of close relationship. I never feel like I'm lost among a crowd of clients. They're very familiar with what we're trying to do. That seems unique compared to a lot of companies in this space.

On the flip side of being a boutique, there's not a lot of bench strength, so there's times when they are pretty stretched to get the amount of attention or the immediate response because I know they're juggling a lot of clients with just a few employees. I'd say this is a fairly minor issue. When I really need to get attention, it will happen without question.

University Health System SEO

"I think the thing that makes Hive Digital stand out is that they are 100 percent focused on SEO."

$1,000,000 - $9,999,999

Hive Digital provided SEO for a training hospital for over 10 years on a website with over 40,000 pages. The team worked on special campaigns to increase the visibility of specific programs and offerings.

1,001 - 10,000 Employees

Baltimore Metro Area
Head of Online Marketing, University Health Center

There was a huge increase in site visitors once Hive Digital began to work on SEO. The team had high-up connections in the field through which they were able to get results. They were knowledgeable on new tools and techniques to help with SEO, although did not upsell their ideas enough.

Please describe your company.

I work for a major training hospital run by a state university. We treat patients for every disease and have specialists for many hard-to-treat ailments.

What is your role and responsibilities, please?

I am the director of digital marketing. I am responsible for the website and online marketing.

What was your goal for working with Hive Digital?

We used them for about 10 years, so we had many projects in that timeframe, but I was essentially looking for a very highly qualified partner who could help us with search engine optimization for the long term. We used them for general search engine optimization techniques that could apply to our website across all 40,000 pages of content and then we used them for very specific campaigns where we needed to get higher visibility for very specific programs and services that we offer.

We wanted to get more patients in our hospitals who had particular conditions because we have certain specialists that might be the best in the country for treating certain conditions. Some doctors are focused on these very small, narrow categories of conditions, so we are incentivized to make sure these doctors are getting the right patients to them. That’s where having a good search engine marketing company comes into play; they can help to draw people with specific illnesses to the right doctors.

What was your process for selecting Hive Digital with which to work?

I love this story. When I was looking for SEO [Search Engine Optimization] companies back when Hive Digital was called Virante, I came across this blog post. It showed how Virante had gotten six subdomains listed in the top four spots on Google and their URLs wrote out you.virante.com, should.virante.com, use.virante.com, us.virante.com. I was blown away. It demonstrated to me that there was a group of guys who actually understood, in a very real way, how to do search engine optimization. That’s when we started talking to them. We had them managing our AdWords accounts for many years and it was consistent month over month, our expenses stayed the same, but our cost per click went down and the number of clicks we got went up. I really can't ask for anything more.

Our overall search engine marketing budget was around $250,000 a year, and they managed the budget. A large portion of the money was for the ongoing management of several thousand Google AdWords and hundreds of different groups and accounts. They charged a management fee based on the amount of money we were spending with Google.

What were the results of the project?

We ended the engagement about a year ago for a variety of reasons. We wanted to move the management of the SEO to a company that handles other aspects of digital marketing for us.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

On some pages, we went from one or two visitors a month coming to our website because they found us on Google for that keyword to 20 or 30 visitors coming to our site and that would be a success. Even getting one or two of those patients a month would more than cover our expenses with Hive Digital in that case, so it's a very different mindset when that's your end game.

I think the thing that makes Hive Digital stand out is that they are 100 percent focused on SEO. That’s their laser beam focus. They do lots of other stuff, but that's their true focus.

These guys are laser beam focused and they have important contacts in the industry. They could reach out to Matt Cutts [head of Google's Webspam team] and ask a question and get an answer from him. It's not something they use all the time, but when we saw something very unusual happen, they were able to get an answer from Cutts.

They pointed me to cutting-edge tools and techniques that I was able to use for my website years before anybody else was using them.

I think that they weren't good at doing a lot of the proactive upsells. You know, a real sales company is going to keep coming to you with all sorts of add-ons and ideas and things like that. They were so focused on executing the stuff that they do really well. Months would go by, and I wouldn’t really hear from them. That's one area they could have been a more professional in.

Hive Digital could be the perfect complement to a person like me who is always being proactive with their web presence. They might not be the best company if you have no in-house knowledge of the Web.

I'm happy to give them these kinds of recommendations and I don't even use them anymore.