Industry Leading Digital Marketing Services

Hive Digital is a Benefit Corp who has been a part of the internet marketing industry for over 15 years.  We utilize empirically proven and effective digital marketing techniques to help our clients identify and achieve greater exposure online through the highest quality consultation, implementation, management, and support services for paid advertising, organic search optimization, website analytics, customer conversion, and social media marketing strategies.

Hive Digital, Inc., a for-profit Benefit Corporation, is not only passionate about the clients we work with, we are passionate about our team members and fully support them in their quest to live a happy, healthy and fully alive life.

Hive Digital earned a reputation of "zero to one million", empowering numerous companies to grow to a million in sales. Hive Digital's expansion into the remainder of online marketing has been similarly fruitful, creating the "rent-to-own" strategy for building and sustaining traffic and qualified leads for any website or business.

Hive Digital works closely with every client to develop and execute custom digital marketing programs with interactive white-glove service and dedicated support staff.

Hive Digital's commitment to excellence enables us to deliver top results that will bring a higher return on investment to any digital asset.

Hive Digital empowers mission driven, globally responsible companies, organizations, and individuals by amplifying their message through industry leading innovation and digital marketing expertise.

2002
Holly Springs, NC
  • 624 Holly Springs Rd. Suite 405
    Holly Springs, NC 27540

SEO & Link Audit for Costa Rican Travel & Tour Agency

“It feels like they are accountable for what they say they’ll deliver, and they really care about you being successful.”

May 2013 - Ongoing

Hive Digital provided SEO and website organization consultation to a travel agency and tour operating company for Costa Rica, helping them to migrate their site to a new URL and implement https and AMP.

11- 50 Employees

San Jose, Costa Rica
Jason Bateman
Owner, My Costa Rica & CostaRica.org

The recommendations and site improvements provided by the Hive Digital team have been transformational in the success of their client’s company, multiplying their site traffic, increasing their online legitimacy, and helping to protect them against future Google Algorithm updates.

I’m the owner and manager of CostaRica.org and My Costa Rica. We are a travel agency in the US and web marketing company, as well as a tour operator that does custom vacation packages in the capital, San Jose.

What challenge were you trying to address with Hive Digital?

We have a huge website with over 3000 pages that we’ve migrated across multiple domains in the 16 years we’ve been in business. We were having some site issues and needed help recovering and decided to purchase a new domain we needed expert insight on setting up our SEO and URLs the right way.

They helped us from start to finish on the process. There was a lot of work on our end putting the site together and restructuring the URLs, but they gave us a step-by-step process that we could follow that guided us through the entire process. Their insight helped us significantly with redirecting DNSs so that our website didn’t crash when we made the switch.

They also helped us set up AMP and securing https for our sites and a lot of other little things that we might have overlooked or just not known how to do otherwise.

I worked primarily with Dominic (Vice President, Marketing).

How did you come to work with Hive Digital?

Their team was referred to us by someone else in our industry who vouched for the quality of their work.

We’ve spent about $10,000 on their work in total.

The partnership started around May 2013 and we’ve worked together on a variety of projects over the years since then.

The impact of their work on our business has been fairly transformational. We had the site vacationstocostarica.com and could never make it gather much traffic, but when we did the whole site redirect and meticulously set up all of the new links to costarica.org, we saw a huge spike in traffic overall. Our organic traffic went from around 20,000 to nearly 100,000 from the variety of changes that we implemented all at once.

How did Hive Digital perform from a project management standpoint?

Our workflow for the project was excellent. I have an inhouse developer, so they just gave us to-do lists and we went through them one by one. When we actually pulled the trigger to make the switch, they guided us through the whole process, which helped us to be really successful.

I’ve looked into other SEO companies in the past and gotten terribly burned, gaining nothing from the engagements. With Hive Digital, it feels like they are accountable for what they say they’ll deliver, and they really care about you being successful.

They pick their clients wisely, and it’s important for them that they are invested in the projects they work on because it allows them to deliver a much higher quality of service than you find at most other companies.

Our most recent engagement didn’t feel quite as productive in terms of developing a game plan to recover some lost rankings and really singling out the issues that we had. I got some good ideas about ways to improve, and SEO can be hard to get specific with a lot of the time, but I do wish it could have been a little bit more directive.

I think being clear about your goals while still managing your expectations and understanding that you’re making a long-term investment is the best thing you can do for yourself in a situation like this. It’s so important to be patient and understand that legitimate tactics take time to show results. If you trust the advice that they give you, the results will pay out in a big way eventually.

SEO & Content Marketing For Real Estate Firm

“Their whole team is incredibly knowledgeable and always comes up with good ideas.”

Jan. 2014 - Ongoing

Hive Digital provides ongoing SEO services and conversion funnel improvements for the website of a real estate firm. They help create content, build backlinks, and optimize code for SERPs.

North Carolina
Owner, Real Estate Firm

The website has seen consistent increase in business since the beginning of the engagement, in large part attributed to the work Hive Digital has provided for them. The team is creative and independent, coming up with good ideas and executing them without requiring too much work from the client.

I own a real estate firm with about five realtors. We do about 150 sales per year.

What challenge were you trying to address with Hive Digital?

We have a website, but I wanted to increase the number of people who were finding me online, so I hired them to help me with improving SEO and conversion.

They provided a range of services for us, from helping to create content or hiring a third-party company to create content for the site to providing technical SEO work by changing the formatting of the code on our backend. Their team also adjusted titles and meta-descriptions on the site to make them more appealing.

On top of that, they conducted a couple of blog linking campaigns in which they would write blogs and link to other people in order to encourage them to link back to us. Overall, they have been able to provide a lot of different recommendations for tactics to improve the site.

I’ve worked with a number of different people from their team, but my main point of contact is Tripp (Sr. SEO Consultant & Product Manager), who has been there consistently along the way.

How did you come to work with Hive Digital?

Tripp was actually looking for a house, so we met him through our business originally but then got to know him and decided we could make use of the services he provided.

My best estimate is that we’ve spent around $40,000 in total.

We started working with them in January 2014, so the relationship has been going on for quite some time now. We usually loop back every six months or so to do some improvement work with them, but we’ve been doing that regularly since the beginning.

Since we started working with them, my website has gradually increased in visitors and grown the number of leads coming in through that funnel by about 10%-15% each year. It’s hard to pinpoint the exact results of their work, but part of that continued success is absolutely due to what they’ve provided for us.

How did Hive Digital perform from a project management standpoint?

At this point in the relationship, project management is incredibly easy for me to handle because they are able to take care of pretty much everything on their own. They come to me with a plan and I’ll sign off on it, and then I check in with them in a couple of weeks to see how everything is going.

Whenever I contact them to start on another initiative, we usually have our first meeting in person, and then the rest is done over email. They check in with me if they have questions and vice versa, but in general, it’s a very productive but laid-back process.

Their whole team is incredibly knowledgeable and always comes up with good ideas. Every time I meet up with them, it’s clear that that they have a great handle on what they do. And beyond that, the fact that they’ve kept up that level of creativity and service over so many years is a true testament to their ability.

I don’t really have any particular things I wish they would improve. If anything, a little bit of extra communication around updates on what they’re doing or what has changed along the way would be nice. They do all of that and I’m not unhappy by any means, but everyone could always communicate a little bit more.

You really have to know what you want. In any web development or improvement project, the most important thing is to have an idea of how you want to improve. Even if you came in with no idea, they would still be able to help, but to get the most out of the engagement you should be able to translate to them how you want to stand out from the competitors in your industry.

SEO & Analytics Project For Branding and Design Firm

"The ability to understand the industry we were in well enough to make informed decisions is invaluable."

May 2016 - Ongoing

Hive Digital provides SEO and an inbound linking strategy for a branding consultant’s third-party client. Their work includes page writing consultation and ad campaign set-up.

Christa Bianchi
Co-Founder, C&C Branding

Hive Digital’s work was revered with high praise. A true partner, their work approaches SEO from a big picture vantage point. Their work contributed to the client’s high ranking keywords. Knowledgeable and adept, customers can expect a collaborative team that works to exceed expectations.

I'm a branding consultant. I was tasked by a financial services firm to bring more traffic to the website in 2016. I've been working with that client for years prior.

What challenge were you trying to address with Hive Digital?

I hired them to do SEO and linking strategy.

They provided an inbound linking strategy. Their organic team gave us pointers on how to write the pages. Their ad team also set up all the ad campaigns. When I needed it, they could even go into WordPress and do something I didn't know how to do.

We worked with 7-8 people from their team.

How did you come to work with Hive Digital?

I went to Moz.com and vetted three vendors from their list. To me, Hive was the most transparent and the most confident in what they were selling. They also offered a more collaborative approach.

We've invested roughly $100,000.

We began working together in May 2016, and our engagement is ongoing.

Our ad spend is always becoming more and more efficient. We also landed in the top results for our keywords, and we stayed there for years.

How did Hive Digital perform from a project management standpoint?

They did an excellent job. They always had the chops to surpass my expectations. I even challenged them at times, but they always justified their actions. They met with us weekly to describe what was going on based on what they were seeing.

The ability to understand the industry we were in well enough to make informed decisions is invaluable. The other SEO firms I've worked with are in a silo; they're good at specific things, but they don't see the big picture.

They brought in someone with deep experience in analytics, who I wish they brought on sooner. It rounded out the whole offering.

My advice is to know what your business goals are and be open to the hypothesis that Hive will come with once they've seen the data. You have to know how much money to make off a given client, but you also need to be adaptable.

Digital Marketing for Software Provider

“Hive Digital’s services, communication, and pricing set them apart.”

March 2017 - Ongoing

Hive Digital is developing PPC campaigns to increase exposure through Google Ads.

Dallas, Texas
Courtney Schexnayder
Marketing Manager, Symphonic Source

Their efforts have boosted campaign performance and increased user engagement. Responsive, engaging, and highly skilled, the Hive Digital team thinks creatively and develops custom solutions. They communicate seamlessly and provide critical guidance in navigating the complex realm of Google Ads.

I’m the marketing manager at Symphonic Source, a software provider. We deliver a full range of Salesforce data-quality tools and services, such as data cleansing, integration and migration, and deduplication, so that users can realize the full potential of Salesforce.

What challenge were you trying to address with Hive Digital?

My company hired Hive Digital to improve our PPC campaigns. We’d been working with a freelancer who was not delivering satisfactory results. We needed a vendor that could improve our ROI and increase our exposure through Google Ads.

Hive Digital initially did an SEO audit, but they have primarily focused on optimizing our Google Ads account.

Dom (Director of Business Development, Hive Digital) was our initial point of contact, and he helped establish the partnership. Our first account rep left the company; for the past year, we’ve worked with Fred (Paid Advertising Specialist, Hive Digital).

How did you come to work with Hive Digital?

I searched for vendors that specialize in Google Ad and received quotes from three companies. Hive Digital’s services, communication, and pricing set them apart.

My company has spent $15,000.

We began working together in March 2017, and the collaboration is ongoing.

Hive Digital’s work has improved our Google Ads campaign performance and boosted user engagement. The number of trials that people do drives our business, and we have seen an increase in trial numbers that directly correlates to our Google ads.

How did Hive Digital perform from a project management standpoint?

Hive Digital is phenomenal, and it is clear that they are experts at what they do. The team responds quickly to our questions. We have monthly progress calls that are very fruitful; we also communicate via email. Fred is continually proposing new ways to improve our PPC campaign.

Hive Digital’s communication has been on point. They provide crucial expertise and guidance on Google Ads, which we don’t know much about. The team thinks outside of the box to offer tailored solutions that benefit our business.

No, I can’t think of anything; they’re great.

Make sure Hive Digital understands your business and your customers. I wasn’t clear enough in this regard, so it took some time to figure out how to customize our campaigns to the appropriate audiences.

Overall Score We’ve seen great results. Communication is top-notch, and their expertise is really beneficial to our business.
    They’ve always delivered in a timely manner. They’re great at communicating and meeting any deadline.
    They’ve really gone above and beyond helping us with our campaigns; they’re definitely worth the money.
    It would be helpful if they could present our data and metrics in an easier-to-digest format.
    We’ve already recommended them a few times. They’re definitely a business worth doing business with.

Digital Marketing for Tattoo Removal Store

“They’re highly responsive and always follow up on projects.”

Nov. 2017 - Ongoing

Hive Digital manages digital marketing, including SEO, paid search, and Facebook ads. They also collaborate with the in-house team on marketing ideas.

Cleighton DePetro
Owner, Bare Tattoo & Hair Removal

Hive Digital is professional and highly skilled, doing work that exceeds stakeholders’ expectations. Sales have strongly increased from the previous year. Their costs are a bit high, but they’re still an excellent partner.

I’m the owner of Bare Tattoo & Hair Removal.

What challenge were you trying to address with Hive Digital?

We needed a partner to help with our SEO, paid ads, and social media ads.

Hive Digital manages our digital presence. They started with keyword research then moved into SEO and paid search on Google, Bing, and Yelp. They also work with our social media, mainly Facebook ads. Beyond those services, they also provide consulting services; we collaborate on different digital marketing ideas.

We work with about seven people.

How did you come to work with Hive Digital?

I wanted a firm that specialized in small businesses and multi-location brick and mortar stores. They appeared fairly high on my search, so I thought they’d be a good fit.

We’ve spent about $40,000.

We began working in November 2017, and the work is ongoing.

The past four months alone have exceeded prior years, and our sales have been much stronger. We’re extremely happy with their work.

How did Hive Digital perform from a project management standpoint?

We have monthly phone calls to recap progress and regularly email one another. They’re highly responsive and always follow up on projects.

They do a lot more work than the freelancers I used to work with. I feel confident knowing that I’m working with professionals who are experts in their field.

Their rates could be a bit better. For the money we spend each month, I’d like to see more getting finished.

Overall Score They've been great to work with.
    They’re prompt and on time, letting us know if there are problems.
    They're good but not the cheapest option.
    They do great work.
    I'd recommend them to anyone who needs digital marketing services.

SEO & Paid Advertising for Financial Management Firm

“I recommend Hive without reservation; they provide excellent results and service.”

May 2015 - Ongoing

Hive Digital, Inc. is managing SEO and paid advertising campaigns while using Google Analytics and AdWords. They’ve revised web content, created links, and completed integrations as part of analytics tracking.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Catherine Goodman
National Marketing Manager, Summit Financial Resources

Traffic and leads have significantly increased in numbers and quality. Targeted keywords now rank higher and are more relevant than previous terms. The team uses a lean approach to provide accessible and responsive service. Customers can expect an easy partnership and great results, even with a smaller budget.

I’m the National Marketing Manager of Summit Financial Resources. We’re a commercial finance company that does accounts receivable and helps companies get cash through the assets that are tied up in their unpaid accounts receivable.

What challenge were you trying to address with Hive Digital, Inc.?

We launched a new website several years ago and internally ran our Google Ads without managing them fully. At a later point, we wanted a vendor to do both paid advertising and SEO for the site.

We have the two SEO and ad branches in place, but we’re no longer managing them ourselves. Hive Digital, Inc. does the keyword changes, targeted marketing, and budget management. We talk every week and they provide reporting and feedback on what we should adjust. For SEO, the team changes pages perpetually to include items such as downlinks. They’ve also partially integrated our CRM and fully integrated our online forms to make analytics tie into those documents. They use Google Analytics, Google AdWords, and a heat mapping tool.

We primarily interact with ad and SEO specialists, but have other contacts as well. The exact dynamic has changed over time. We also interface with Jeffrey (President and CEO, Hive Digital, Inc.).

How did you come to work with Hive Digital?

My web designer found Hive Digital, Inc. on my behalf through a combination of online searches and word-of-mouth. We chose Hive Digital, Inc. because they had the right amount of support for both paid advertising and SEO at a price point that made sense for our team.

We started working with them in May 2015 and the partnership is ongoing.

Our page rankings have gone up dramatically. That metric impresses me the most because it’s not a pay-to-play scenario; Hive Digital, Inc. accomplished those results with inbound links, keywords, and rewritten web content. We’re above the fold now for the keywords we want to use; previously, we had been page three or four. In addition, we’ve experienced more and better-quality traffic and leads. We used to get odd results for search terms that didn’t relate to our business, that happens less often now. I review those numbers because calls are difficult to track with analytics. Their team tracks forms and email leads.

How did Hive Digital, Inc. perform from a project management standpoint?

We have direct access to Jeff, who is an invaluable contact for us. I know I can email Jeff for anything, but I’ve never had to. As a whole, the team is fun, responsive, and proficient. They have good mechanisms in place for customer service and tracking. Whenever I email Hive Digital about something specific—such as SEO—they copy customer service on everything and then track internally.

The results are better than I expected. The team has improved our rankings significantly while accommodating our budget. We’ve had more than one project manager, but Digital Hive, Inc. handles the turnover exceptionally well. Their small team and lean approach created a seamless transition enabled to me to email anyone on their team and get a quick response. I don’t think another company could match their performance.

The team already makes everything so easy. They can jump in and get to work with no issue.

Overall Score I recommend Hive without reservation; they provide excellent results and service.
    I would definitely recommend them.

Outsourced Digital Marketing for Bar Events Services Company

“Hive's efforts have increased our website traffic by about 30%.”

Jun. 2018 - Ongoing

Hive Digital provides a broad range of marketing services, from SEO to social media strategy and digital advertising.

San Fransisco, California
Carlos Kronen
Executive Director, The Bartender Company

Hive Digital's digital marketing services have significantly boosted website traffic and online social engagement. Experts in their field, their staff is highly capable and proactive about delivering results and updating clients on progress. Their services have proven well worth the investment.

I'm the executive director of the Bartender Company, a provider of high-end private bar event services in the Bay Area, Calif.

What challenge were you trying to address with Hive Digital?

We hired Hive Digital to provide marketing services, including SEO and social media strategy.

Hive Digital provides a broad range of digital marketing services, including SEO, social media strategy, and digital advertising. They've conducted a website audit to help improve SEO, and utilize a variety of Google tools to track progress, including Analytics, Search Console, Tag Manager, and AdWords. A specialist is assigned to each specific type of digital marketing task as we take on new projects.

I've worked directly with five or six people, depending on the task. In addition to working with an account manager, we've worked with specialists in SEO, social media, web design, and so on.

How did you come to work with Hive Digital?

We thoroughly researched the top SEO companies we could find that were applicable to a company of our size. After calling upwards of 30 vendors, we narrowed our options down to five and reviewed presentations from each. Hive stood out for three reasons: they're experts in their field, they value the social component of our mission, and they take a consultative approach in their working relationships.

We started working together around June 2018 and the relationship is ongoing.

Hive Digital's efforts have increased our website traffic by about 30%. We're extremely thrilled with their results. We're also seeing some improvements in our social media engagement.

How did Hive Digital perform from a project management standpoint?

The project manager we work with has been incredibly helpful in ensuring deadlines are met. They generally reach out to me every week to keep me updated on their progress, which makes me feel like they're constantly making improvements and our continual spend is worthwhile.

Their level of knowledge in their industry and approach to project management sets them apart.

Hive Digital offers a paid reporting service, an in-depth analysis of your company's strategic marketing approach, that I highly recommend taking advantage of. We were hesitant at first to make a commitment to utilizing it, but we've found it to be extremely worthwhile in the long run.

SEO & AdWords Management for Nonprofit

"Their team is well-organized and happy to help with any aspect of the project."

Dec. 2018 - Ongoing

Hive Digital administrates a variety of SEO and Google AdWords campaigns to publicize events and programs.

Strategy Associate, Human Rights Foundation

Campaign performance has improved to the point that it can successfully maintain grant funding. Although Hive Digital could be more proactive in suggesting ideas, their timely deliveries, friendly attitude, and methodical approach greatly benefit the project.

I am a strategy associate currently managing our social media platforms, email marketing, and Google Analytics.

For what projects/services did your company hire Hive Digital?

We hired Hive Digital to help administer our Google AdWords grant and improve our SEO.

Our goals were to make the best use of our available funds to increase awareness of the programs and events we offer. We have focused so far on Flash Drives for Freedom, a program that disrupts the North Korean regime through information, and the Oslo Freedom Forum, our flagship human rights conference.

The Hive representative regularly checks in with me over email about the status of our advertising campaigns and asks for any information she needs to effectively administer them. We also have phone calls as needed.

The team consists of me and a project analyst at Hive.

Our campaigns are running at the levels needed to maintain our grant, which is an improvement over our past performance.

How did the Hive Digital perform from a project management standpoint?

Our Hive representative is very timely, professional, and helpful.

What impresses you about the Hive Digital?

Their team is well-organized and happy to help with any aspect of the project.

The Hive team could be more proactive, since they are the SEO experts, rather than waiting for our direction about how to proceed with the campaign. We would like to receive more strategic input rather than just implementation based on our vision.

Oasis Wellness Digital Marketing

"We've always received a good return on our investment."

Jan. 2004 - Ongoing

The team initially provided web development and design for an e-commerce nutraceutical company. Hive Digital now performs SEO services through link building and paid search in an ongoing relationship.

The Woodlands, Texas
CEO, Oasis Advanced Wellness

The relationship has lasted for over 10 years, and there has been a visible return on investment, with high rankings on dozens of keywords. Hive Digital has integrity and holds themselves accountable for all aspects of the project. Occasionally, there is a miscommunication, but the team always responds quickly.

Please describe your organization and your role and responsibilities.

The company is a nutraceutical company. We sell supplements and vitamins over the Internet as well as providing consulting services. I am the owner and founder.

What was your goal for working with Hive Digital?

We've been with Hive Digital ever since 2004, which is when we began operations. We use them for SEO services.

We used them for SEO work. Back then, they were doing some Web work and Web design for us. We worked very closely with their SEO team, using link building and paid search, which we continue to do with them to this day. We've been very satisfied.

What was your process for selecting Hive Digital with which to work?

I also worked with them before at another job, for a couple of years. We sourced them because we knew what they could do from where I worked before. We also wanted a company that we were familiar with and one that we had already established and proved to be reliable with us. We knew how they worked. We knew their commitment, honesty, and reliability.

Through the years, our investment has been in the thousands of dollars, maybe the hundreds of thousands. We've always received a good return on our investment. If there were ever times that I thought things could be better, they've always been very open to hearing what I had to say. We would talk about ways that we could implement new ideas.

They were always very open to providing us with services that were cost effective for a smaller firm. We shared our budget with them, and they were able to work with us. I can't think of a time when they haven't been able to work within our budget.

We are a small company and, in the beginning, we spent about $1,000 a month with them. Our return on investment was much more than that.

When was the project completed?

It is still ongoing work now. It’s all SEO [search engine optimization] work and the Web design and development concluded years ago.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

They helped us achieve much higher rankings for dozens of keywords.

I haven't worked with any other companies as closely as I've worked with Hive Digital. In my personal opinion, SEO companies are lot like going to a car dealership. You never know when the salesman is telling you the truth.

We had already established a relationship with Hive Digital, and I've worked with them in some form for about 15 years. It is very important to me that a company I work with has honesty and integrity. Has everything always been perfect? No. They have owned up to anything that needed to be changed. If there was something that they missed, they owned up to it and didn't try to wax it over with something or even blame it on the customer.

That integrity piece is tremendously meaningful to me. I need to know that people tell me the truth, whether it's what I want to hear or not. Hive Digital has always been good at doing that.

There may have been times when I thought that there had been specific instances of small details being missed. I don't really know what to say specifically since those issues were minor and forgettable. We've had a very open relationship. There have been times, as with any company, when you get a little frustrated. However, I've always felt that I could go to them and say that we need to do better on a particular item or that we need to find a solution to a challenge.

There was one time that I was a little concerned about the communication aspect. Because we know them very well, a lot of our communication is through email. It's quick for me, and it's quick for them. There was one time that I felt that they weren't understanding me or they were passing it around. I mentioned it one time, and it was taken care of. It wasn't something they were doing on purpose, but they heard a customer complaint and they did something about it.

I recommend Hive Digital all the time. In my opinion, they are one of the better companies out there...I would trust them with a company that had been in business for 30 years.They are always open and ready to serve...

Digital Marketing for Major Nonprofit

"Hive Digital has a great depth of knowledge on the topic in a way that only people who specialize in it can know."

Hive Digital initially performed SEO for a grant-making nonprofit centered around education and entrepreneurship. The relationship has now expanded to include consulting on analytics and web metrics.

Kansas City, Missouri
Director of Digital Marketing at Non-Profit

Hive Digital has run a successful SEO campaign which has improved keyword searches overall. The team shows great knowledge of SEO and Google analytics. Because they are a boutique firm, there can sometimes be issues with juggling clients, but overall, they are very responsive.

Please describe your company.

I work for a major nonprofit foundation. We have about a $2 billion endowment. We do grant making primarily around entrepreneurship and education. Education is mostly Kansas City-based. Entrepreneurship we look more nationally.

What is your role and responsibilities?

My role is director of digital strategy, so I handle oversight of Web, social media, email, and all related activities.

What was your goal for working with Hive Digital?

We've been using them for quite a while, maybe 10 years or so. Our original engagement was for search engine optimization, and they still help us in this area. We were not showing up in search results for keywords around entrepreneurship, and so they looked at our primary website and suggested some changes, so that was the start of it.

At this point, we still use Hive Digital for SEO [search engine optimization] for several of our sites and they provide consulting on analytics and Web metrics.

We have done some paid search engagements with them the past couple of years. Currently, we're not doing any advertising. We have had a few engagements for consulting here and there on social media. A small percentage of their work is related to content marketing and Google authorship.

What was your process for selecting Hive Digital with which to work?

It probably wasn't that scientific. Since we look at entrepreneurs, we had heard of their founder because he started Hive Digital from his dorm room basically. We'd done a series of articles about young founders, so we just decided to give him a try and stuck with him since then.

Can you provide a ballpark dollar figure for the size of the work that they've done for you?

We're below $100,000, but above $10,000 annually pretty consistently during the past 10 years more or less.

What were the results of the project?

The SEO and analytics are ongoing and successful.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

It's an ongoing SEO effort. It never stops. We have been well represented for entrepreneurship-related terms. There was a while when we had several results on the first page of returns for entrepreneurship. I think it's gotten a bit more competitive since then, but we still show well.

In that regard, it's been great. It's really hard to quantify anything on the analytics and metric side of things because that's just sort of pulling together key performance indicator sheets and ongoing discussions about what's performing well and what isn't. We have done some split testing projects like trying to drive more signups for our e-newsletter. I don't remember the exact percentage but, in time, we were able to bump the sign up rates at least several percentage points compared to where they had been through Hive Digital's efforts.

It's hard for me to compare since I've been using them for so long, but my sense is that it feels like a unique team, especially on the SEO side. Hive Digital has a great depth of knowledge on the topic in a way that only people who specialize in it can know the topic, all the ins and outs, how the Google algorithm is operating, etc.

It would be hard for me to find another firm that understands Google analytics and the various KPIs [key performance indicators] as well as Hive Digital. They're a small company, so I get that type of close relationship. I never feel like I'm lost among a crowd of clients. They're very familiar with what we're trying to do. That seems unique compared to a lot of companies in this space.

On the flip side of being a boutique, there's not a lot of bench strength, so there's times when they are pretty stretched to get the amount of attention or the immediate response because I know they're juggling a lot of clients with just a few employees. I'd say this is a fairly minor issue. When I really need to get attention, it will happen without question.