Toronto based digital design and UX studio

Harley Oliver designs digital products, interfaces and user experiences for the World’s latest technologies. Our mission is to design the best possible user experience for connected devices and products. As a digital product design company we create websites, mobile applications, voice apps and interfaces.

2008
Toronto, Canada

Branding & Dev for Wearable Health Device Company

“Their attention to detail, as well as their creative direction and vision, are all outstanding.”

July - Oct 2018

Harley Oliver was responsible for the creative direction of a neurotech company. They implemented brand strategy, redesigned their e-commerce website, and delivered a fresh new set of marketing materials.

Toronto, Canada
Nadia Kumentas
VP of Marketing, Muse

Doubling the client’s conversion rate, Harley Oliver successfully positioned the neurotech brand to be more distinct and modern. The team was talented and communicative, and project management was equally effective. In the excellent engagement, the resulting work received great feedback.

I’m the VP of marketing at Muse, a Toronto-based neurotech company. We create wearable devices that measure brain activity to support meditation, focus, and general wellbeing.

What challenge were you trying to address with Harley Oliver?

We were trying to address three major problems. First, we needed a brand refresh. While our product is very innovative, it wasn’t being accurately represented in our marketing materials.

We also needed to rebuild our website. We were bringing on a new product, so we needed to re-strategize how to showcase our product offerings in a way that would increase conversions. Lastly, we needed completely new photo assets for marketing and e-commerce.

Harley Oliver’s team helped us build a WordPress site that integrated the multiple stores—of different currencies—on the backend. They made the website user-friendly and customizable, even on our administrative end.

Since our devices are somewhat technically complex, they focused on conveying its concept in clear, concise, and consumer-friendly terms. They strategized our creative direction.

Ben (Founder, Harley Oliver) was our main point of contact. We worked with a project manager (who also happened to be a UX designer), a graphic designer, two photographers, and a videographer. They were all excellent.

How did you come to work with Harley Oliver?

I found them online and started following them on Instagram. I dug into their previous work and really liked their ethos. They operated in the niche wearable-tech startup space, so they were perfect for us. While we had a couple of contenders in the mix, I felt very aligned with Ben’s creative direction.

We’ve spent close to $250,000.

Our collaboration for the first product launch lasted from July–October 2018.

Their work has doubled the conversion rate of our site. They’ve positioned us to be more modern, and I’m just blown away by their work. We’ve only received positive feedback.

How did Harley Oliver perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re very organized and easy to work with. They were very responsive when we communicated with their team via phone, email, and Slack.

There was a slight learning curve on a few items. While there were no real issues at all, we could’ve appreciated receiving pre-shoot assets.

Go in with the best brief possible. Give them all the context they need to enable them to perform well. That allows them to work within their creative freedom while giving you what you need.

WordPress Development for Nursing Education

“Harley Oliver understood all of our needs … I'd recommend them 100%.”

July - Dec. 2017

Taking full charge of design/development, Harley Oliver built an educational nursing WordPress website. They provided recommendations and incorporated internal team’s vision and feedback.

The Blue Mountains, Ontario, Canada
Gillain Elmes
Co-Owner, NurseEd

The website is visually pleasing and easy to navigate. Working autonomously most of the time, Harley Oliver went above and beyond to meet all needs, while their attention to detail and exceptional listening skills made them a go-to partner for future projects.

I'm the co-owner of NurseEd. We're a platform for nursing education.

What challenge were you trying to address with Harley Oliver?

We wanted to build a platform for Canadian nursing students to help them prepare for their registration exams. We needed a company to help us.

They designed and developed a WordPress website for us and helped us with branding. We divided the project in four phases–discovery, design, development, and the final product phase. At the end of each phase, they had a presentation where they showed me what they had done. They guided the process from start to finish, but I was involved every step of the way and provided feedback after each phase. We didn't have many meetings, which was great because I'm not a fan of meetings'. We talked at length in the beginning about the vision I had so they were able to just run with it in the right direction

I worked with three members of their team.

How did you come to work with them?

They were a personal connection.

We spent about $23,000.

We started working with them in July 2017 and the website launched in December 2017.

The website is functional, easy to navigate, and looks beautiful. I'm still uploading some of the content, but the feedback from customers has been very positive. Some customers have made referrals to their friends, which is a great thing. Harley Oliver understood all of our needs and truly cared about the user experience. I’d work with them again on future projects.

How did they perform from a project management standpoint?

They did a great job. We communicated via email and phone every few weeks, and met in-person twice over the course of the project. We also occasionally used Skype, which was helpful because I'm located 2.5 hours away from their office. I don’t like attending meetings, so they made the process enjoyable.

I can't think of anything.

Have a clear idea of what you want. This way, when you start your project there won't be any major problems or changes when it's time to launch. I thought a lot about what I wanted and what I didn't want, and we talked at length in the beginning about my vision for the website, which made the whole process easier for everyone and far more productive.

They always let me know well in advance if they had to change anything.
    What they provided is worth much more than what I paid for it.
    They had great attention to detail and anticipated problems I didn't even know could arise.
    I'd recommend them 100%.

Virtual School Web Application Dev for Nonprofit

"They go above and beyond within the digital space and clearly represent our ideas."

Mar. 2015 - Ongoing

After a discovery phase, Harley Oliver developed a web platform and tool including the front- and backend, UX/UI, and content. They're now conducting QA.

11- 50 Employees

Ontario, Canada
Safia Dakri
Former Director, JA Canada

The platform and tool expand volunteer opportunities for numerous communities and increases youth engagement. Their team is proactive, organizing a set plan of action and clearly communicating milestones. Their creativity and ability to innovate high-quality features is impressive.

I'm the former director of JA Canada.

What challenge were you trying to address with Harley Oliver?

We need them to develop a virtual education platform and a digital tool that could facilitate the resume writing process for our clients.

Harley Oliver's team first conducted a discovery phase with our team stakeholders, and leadership to understand our requirements and audience. Using this information, they created a plan of action to tackle all angles of our product. They identified our roles and responsibilities and worked closely with us like an embedded team. They walked us through the creation of frameworks, explained the technical foundation, and showcased their UX/UI standards. Their developers coded the front- and backend of the web platform and tool. They built content and features side by side with our team.

We’re currently in the QA process for the tool. After the first round of revisions, they indicated the progress made, future challenges we might have, and solutions to those problems. We’re discussing the plans for a pilot soft launch, and then, a full implementation to our staff and clients.

We work with two primary contacts and two developers.

How did you come to work with Harley Oliver?

I sent out an RFP for the project. Harley Oliver was one of the vendors that responded and was recommended to me. We worked on the web platform for three years thus far, and they provided great customer service. It was natural for us to pick them for this tool as well.

We invested around $1 million in total.

We started in March 2015 and the work is ongoing.

The platform and tool are working as intended. Our product is the first of its kind as a virtual space for volunteers. It allows our organization to expand its reach to thousands of volunteers and many more students. It allows us to reach our goal of engaging with people of various generations. The platform and tool significantly increase engagement and volunteer applications from younger generations.

How did Harley Oliver perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re an extremely proactive and responsive team. Their oversight and perspective are excellent, and they even make sure our team is going to meet our timeline. We’re always aligned and on the same page. We communicate a few times a week through Slack to set up our responsibilities and discuss our next steps. We also use Trello and Basecamp to track the project’s progress. Their team consistently engages with us and immediately takes care of any hiccups.

Their creativity and innovation are impressive. Their ability to bring our vision to life and take it to the next level is exceptional. They go above and beyond within the digital space and clearly represent our ideas.

I would recommend them for any project. They’re extremely open and responsive to ideas, but also keen to do things outside of their knowledge base as well. Don’t just judge them by their portfolio, as they’re eager to break into new spaces and learn new concepts.

They're great at adapting their schedule to a non-profit organization’s fluidly timeline.
    They’re honest about where our money is going into the product and where there might be opportunities for further development.
    If they sense any type of hesitation from your team, they will keep working to make sure their work is exceptional.
    They’re extremely pleasant to work with, have a friendly demeanor, and develop creative and innovative solutions.