Cybersecurity For Small and Medium Businesses

Harbor Technology Group (Harbor) was founded by networking and security veterans to meet the never ending need to address cybersecurity threats not just for the Fortune 100 companies but for small to medium sized enterprises.  Harbor is a cybersecurity-consulting firm exclusively focused on the small and medium sized enterprises.

We specialize in providing enterprise grade services that are affordable enough to meet the budgetary restrictions of growing organizations, and forward-thinking enough to provide advanced protection as those businesses evolves. Our services are based on industry standard cybersecurity frameworks such as, NIST, FFIEC, and CIS CSC.

Harbor’s role is one of enabling business, not stifling organizations with unnecessary and unreliable controls. We are proactive rather than reactive and we strive to help our clients develop their cybersecurity program necessary to take their organization to the next level.

We provide enterprise-grade security for the SME market at a lower price point, providing better solutions and still reducing the risks.  We have created a complete independent set of solutions that enable businesses through managing cyber-risk. Our innovative processes are based on industry standard frameworks that are tailored to meet the needs of small and medium size enterprises.

Hopewell, NJ

IT Security Services for Religious Organization

“I’m happy to have found Harbor Technology Group. Their team is very personable and easy to get on with.”

In addition to coordinating an incident-response activity, Harbor Technology Group conducted a cybersecurity risk assessment, producing a roadmap to address the issues identified.  They now act as the vCISO.

New Jersey
Technology Services Manager, Religious Organization

Harbor Technology Group took a thorough approach to the initial security assessment, formulating an actionable plan with clear deadlines. The team has remained timely in their delivery schedule, answered all questions, and helped put internal stakeholders at ease by leading the initiative.

I’m the technology services manager for a New Jersey-based religious organization. Our campus serves members of our religious denomination by providing a place to seek spiritual inspiration, study the Bible and bring that inspiration to challenges in their daily lives. This includes providing care onsite and in-home for those seeking spiritual healing as well as a philanthropy ministry.

What challenge were you trying to address with Harbor Technology Group?

About a year ago, we went through a security audit and learned that we needed to ramp up our security defenses. Security requirements for technology were moving into a new realm, and we needed to make sure that we kept up with them. So, we partnered with Harbor Technology Group to identify security gaps and to create a roadmap that would help us strengthen our security posture.

Initially, as I was searching for a security partner, we suspected one of our staff member’s emails was compromised, so we had to find a company that could respond immediately to our situation. The first company that we contacted looked over our systems, but we weren’t confident that they’d done a detailed job.

As a result, we reached out to Harbor Technology Group to provide a second opinion. They worked with a partner organization to perform an incident response activity for us.

Their team currently serves as our virtual chief information security officer (vCISO). We have several measures we plan to implement in the future, for example:

1. Drafting a full set of formal policies to govern our network users.
  2. Improving our disaster recovery and business continuity plan.
  3. Walking us through tabletop exercises to test incident response.
  4. Assisting us in reviewing prospective cyber insurance policies.
  5. Performing quarterly vulnerability assessments.

We work with two points of contact. Matt (Partner & Co-Founder, Harbor Technology Group) performed the risk assessment, meeting with us several times to review our situation. He then put together a report that identified all of our potential vulnerabilities. We’re now working with Michael (Partner & Co-Founder, Harbor Technology Group) to discuss and write our full set of policies.

How did you come to work with Harbor Technology Group?

I found them through a Google search while looking for local vendors. They’re just down the road from us, which is helpful when we want to meet face-to-face.

We first engaged them in January 2019, but the assessment itself took place around April. The vCISO work is a year’s contract.

Harbor setup a timeline and kept to it, providing all deliverables in a timely manner.  Their proposed actions to mitigate the risks identified have already strengthened our level of security.  We have a roadmap for the future and a knowledgeable partner in Harbor.  I’m happy to have found Harbor Technology Group. Their team is very personable and easy to get on with. I feel like I can ask them any question, and they’ll answer it well.

How did Harbor Technology Group perform from a project management standpoint?

The team set out a very clear timeline ahead of time and have stuck to it. They’re organized, thorough, and very detailed.

They clearly enjoy what they do. Even though security policy is fairly onerous (but necessary) to me, they bring enthusiasm and a wealth of knowledge to the process. It’s second nature to them, so it feels like far less of a burden to me.

No, I can’t think of anything.

Meet regularly, read their recommendations, and ask questions.

They’ve stayed on track, meeting all the deadlines that they’ve set out.
    They have fair pricing. Compared to the quotes from other companies I’d considered, they came in the middle.
    I'm very satisfied with their work.
    I have no hesitations recommending them. In fact, I already have.

Cybersecurity for Medical Device Company

"We’re on track to address many of the gaps that Harbor Technology identified.”

Sept. 2017 - Ongoing

Harbor Technology Group completed a cybersecurity risk assessment, provided a report, and put together a security strategy presentation measuring a medical device company's performance against benchmarks.

Plainsboro, New Jersey
Senior Director, Medical Device Company

The assessment report and strategy presentation have been well-received. Harbor Technology Group kept the project moving and on budget through constant communication, providing critical status updates throughout. The team’s quality deliverables set them up for an ongoing engagement.

I’m the senior director of IT governance and security for a medical device company. In my role, I’m responsible for putting cybersecurity frameworks in place and completing security assessments for any software deployed throughout the company. I also make sure our systems comply with Title 21 CFR Part 11 for validation.

What challenge were you trying to address with Harbor Technology Group?

We needed to hire an external partner to perform a cybersecurity risk assessment and create a framework of benchmarks to evaluate our future security programs.

Harbor Technology Group started with a cybersecurity risk assessment, delivering a report that noted any areas of risk or exposure in our current security program. Then, we engaged them for a second project of putting together a strategy based on that initial assessment. They’d identified items that we were falling behind on, so they help us address those and put together a strong program. After a lot of discussion, they pulled together a PowerPoint presentation that lays out a new strategy.

We’ve also consulted Harbor Technology group in our search for a managed service security provider. They provide their input on who we should consider for an RFP, as well as what to include in the RFP. They’ve also reviewed all of our current outsourced vendors for security monitoring tools. They gave us advice on which other vendors are stronger or have a niche in the market.

Matt (Partner & Co-Founder, Harbor Technology Group) is our primary contact. He led the project and was responsible for pulling together all deliverables.

How did you come to work with Harbor Technology Group?

My boss had worked with them in the past and put me in contact with Matt. After a couple of phone calls and an in-person meeting, we engaged them for their services.

We’ve spent close to $75,000.

We started having discussions in the fall of 2017, and they did the final read out in November 2018. We’re still working together as needed. I’ve set a portion of our budget for Matt's services as we continue to address our security strategy.

Ultimately, we wanted to use the information from the risk assessment to developing a framework to guide and evaluate our security strategy. We’re on track to address many of the gaps that Harbor Technology identified.

We continue to have meetings with Matt each quarter to keep him up to speed on everything we’ve accomplished. Our next meeting with him is in June. We’ll talk to him about where we're at with the security strategy and our RFP for the managed service provider.

How did Harbor Technology Group perform from a project management standpoint?

I have a good working relationship with Matt and his team. During the bulk of the project, we had standing weekly meetings to share status updates. I’ve never had any concerns with the status of the project or them going over budget. Communication was constant, and Matt always let me know where he was with hours. There were never any issues.

The personalized service they offer is excellent. I can call Matt and have a candid conversation with him without worrying about getting billed. He has the subject matter expertise that I need. I started in my role about three years ago, so he's been a tremendous resource of information and advice. He’s always willing to share his industry knowledge and experience, making sure that I'm on the right track.

The Harbor Technology team also offers candid responses about any vendors that we're considering. I can trust that Matt isn’t trying to push me to choose a vendor he’s already partnered with. He is open and honest, letting me know if a particular vendor is more expensive and where we can find the same level of service at a lower cost.

I can't think of anything to improve. Matt does a good job of pinging me periodically to keep the lines of communication open.

Set the scope up front. Have candid conversations about what you expect and what the deliverables should be.

They did a great job of shifting things around to meet the final goal.
    We get a lot of value for what we're paying.
    The strategy needed a few edits, but overall, I'm pleased with both documents.
    They deliver quality services, and they're honest and open.

IT Security Services for Pharmaceutical Training Company

"They understand how to work within resource constraints while still keeping us on track."

Apr. 2016 - Ongoing

Harbor Technology Group augments internal IT resources by reviewing infrastructure for security issues. Services include monitoring endpoint protection software.

West Chester, Pennsylvania
Steve Budd
Chief Operating Officer, MC3

Infrastructure is much more secure than it was when the partnership began. The team has established an effective workflow for identifying software risks. A client-oriented team, Harbor Technology Group excels at customizing their services according to specific business goals.

I’m the chief operating officer at MC3, a pharmaceutical training company. We train sales forces, and then we organize and produce national sales meetings as well as launching other events.

What challenge were you trying to address with Harbor Technology Group?
We wanted to update our IT Infrastructure, especially with regard to how we manage and protect data. Instead of hiring a chief cybersecurity officer full time, we decided to bring Harbor Technology Group into that role.

The team helps to protect our existing IT infrastructure against cybercriminals and malware. We’re in our third year of the partnership, and we have a recurring system for identifying security risks. First, they perform risk assessments of our infrastructure and processes. Then, we create a roadmap of issues to address. After mitigating security hazards, we perform more risk assessments and create a new roadmap to address the gaps.

Since the partnership began, we found we needed to install endpoint protection software on all of our devices, which we purchased from Sophos Group PLC. Harbor Technology Group monitors all of our devices for software issues through a Sophos dashboard.

I primarily work with Mike (Co-Founder, Harbor Technology Group), and Matt (Co-Founder, Harbor Technology Group) also works with my team.

How did you come to work with Harbor Technology Group?
I knew Mike through an organization, and he called me to talk about his business. The timing of the phone call was perfect because I realized he could help with my company's needs. We had a meeting and worked through a few proposals to reach a deal.

During the first two years, we spent between $35,000 and $40,000.

We started working together in April 2016 and the project is ongoing.

We feel much more comfortable with our level of security than we were two and a half years ago when we started the partnership. Now, when we fill out security questionnaires for clients, we pass them with flying colors.

We identify process improvements when we’re developing a roadmap, and then when we run a risk assessment we can tell if those efforts were a success. We see progress each time we run through the cycle. Each year, we’ve been solving 3–4 issues and raising our standard for the issues we want to address.

How did Harbor Technology Group perform from a project management standpoint?
They are excellent at managing projects. They understand how to work within our resource constraints while still keeping us on track.

They understand the nature of our business. They’ve prioritized tasks within the timeline in a structure that’s compatible with our business model and budget.

It’s also been really helpful to get personalized, hands-on attention from senior employees. Both of my main contact points are very skilled and experienced.

I don’t have any specific recommendations on how they could improve their business.

Future clients should start the partnership with a risk assessment and then plan out a roadmap where they prioritize all of the tasks.

Overall Score It could always be a little bit better, but I’m very happy.
    They’re growing quickly and managing a number of new clients, but all our critical tasks are completed on time.
    They are a great value based on the high expertise of the people working there.
    We’re getting the results that we expected.
    I’ve recommended them several times.

Security IT Consulting for Law Firm

"We were so far in the weeds with our security, so it helps to have somebody that could get us out."

2017 - Ongoing

Harbor Technology Group conducted a cybersecurity risk assessment for a law firm and made a series of recommendations. They now manage Endpoint software and serve as a chief security information officer.

Belmar, New Jersey
Jody Terres
Former Director of Technology, Law Firm

Harbor Technology Group offered well-founded strategies that have enhanced cybersecurity measures. The team is responsive and dedicated to finding solutions for all budgets. Future clients can expect experienced staff with a thorough information-gathering process.

I am the former director of technology at a law firm.

What challenge were you trying to address with Harbor Technology Group?

We engaged Harbor Technology Group to evaluate our existing cybersecurity efforts and make recommendations for how we could enhance our methods.

Harbor Technology Group initially conducted a security risk assessment and produced a comprehensive report of our problem areas and the few things we were doing well. Together, our teams discussed their remediation recommendations. We ultimately hired them for their chief information security officer services and took their advice to implement Endpoint protection software, which they went on to manage for us.

Matt (Partner, Harbor Technology Group) was our point of contact every step of the way.

How did you come to work with Harbor Technology Group?

Many of the consultants we considered had prices that were beyond our budget. We learned of Harbor Technology Group through one of our partners, who knew Matt. I interviewed him and decided that they’d be the best fit for us.

We spent somewhere in the $25,000­–$50,000 range.

The engagement began in 2017 and remains ongoing.

The firm’s security risks were drastically reduced thanks to the strategies they put in place and the software they recommended.

How did Harbor Technology Group perform from a project management standpoint?

Matt was available at all times. There was never a question that went unanswered. Matt had a knack for knowing what I was going to ask, and he always had an answer. We were so far in the weeds with our security, so it helps to have somebody that could get us out.

I appreciated their level of knowledge and their willingness to do some handholding throughout the entire process.

No, we worked very well together. I was looking for advice and help, and they supplied that.

They’re going to ask great questions that you likely haven’t thought of answers to, so make sure you are familiar with your own infrastructure. The more you know about what you have, the better their initial assessment will be.

Overall Score They were very easy to work with.
    They met every deadline.
    They were flexible and suited their plans to fit our budget.
    They provided excellent deliverables.
    I've already recommended them.