Brand / Video / Web

Strategic intelligence and creative thinking

Hansen Belyea is a full-service agency specializing in building brands that inspire, educate, and persuade. For the past 28 years we have expertly guided organizations through the process of discovering their unique value in the marketplace. We create integrated marketing programs built on strong messaging, strategic planning and compelling design.

1988
Seattle, WA
  • 109 West Denny Way, Suite 312
    Seattle, WA 98119

Blueline, Schultz Miller, GLY Construction, The Robbins Company, Urban Hardwoods, Port Blakely, Laird Norton Wealth Management, Normet, Ackerley Foundation, Perteet Engineering, Strideline, Allegro Pediatrics

Idaho Conservation League

Logo / Website / Campaign Materials / Campaign Logo / Business Papers / Photography

Blueline

Logo / Website / Photography / Business Papers / Proposal System

Schultz Miller

Lobby Signage

Schultz Miller

Logo / Website / Videos / Advertising / Launch Brochure / Signage / Vehicle Graphics

The Robbins Company

Logo / Website / Video / Photography / Sales Tools / Events

Strideline

Naming / Logo / Packaging / Website

Brand Development for Residential Home Builder

"They bring an intangible quality to design and creative endeavors that you can't entirely explain, but it's everything."

Mar. 2016 - Ongoing

Looking to refresh and evolve their brand, the client hired Hansen Belyea to develop a new logo and create a website. They also helped to design signs, business cards, letterhead, and graphics for vehicles.

Seattle, Washington
Marc Vassallo
Director of Communications, Schultz Miller

Hansen Belyea’s design work and creativity are off the charts. Although their project management skills could use some work, they make up for it where it matters most – with an impressive end product. The recently launched website has received positive reviews from internal and external sources.

Schultz Miller is a high-end, custom homebuilder in Seattle. We have over 90 employees, work on dozens of projects at a time, and have been recognized for the quality of our craftsmanship and our high level of client service for more than 35 years. Our projects include new construction, remodels, and home service. I am the director of communications and marketing.

What challenge were you trying to address with Hansen Belyea?

With a recent shift to a new generation of owners, a move to a new office, and the dawn of a new era for the company, we decided that we wanted to evolve our brand and create a new website that better reflected who we are.

We came to Hansen Belyea for two big things: a brand evolution and a new website. We weren't sure what form the brand evolution would take - whether it meant an entirely new logo and look or just refreshing what we already had. We began with a discovery phase in which Hansen Belyea conducted surveys with some of our employees and with subcontractors, architects, designers, and clients with whom we work. A core group from Schultz Miller met with Brianna Home [Strategic Director, Hansen Belyea] and Ron Hansen [Design Director, Hansen Belyea] a number of times to explore what we were learning from the surveys. Hansen Belyea also looked at our direct competitors in high-end home construction in Seattle.

Next, we worked together on developing brand messaging and conceiving of a website that took into account what we'd discovered about our company and our competition. Hansen Belyea directed photography of our teams in the field and filmed video footage. They then put together a five-minute video about our company for use on the website and in other marketing avenues.

Ultimately, the Schultz Miller team decided that we did, in fact, want Hansen Belyea to design a new logo and brand identity. We weren't changing our company or what has made us successful, but we wanted to present ourselves in a fresh way. Ron led the creation of a new logo and look, which was then applied to a custom-designed website on a WordPress platform. Schultz Miller brought most of the content to the website, but it was Hansen Belyea's crisp, clean design that made it shine. Along with the website, Hansen Belyea developed an announcement mailer, jobsite signs, graphics for our vehicles, business cards, and letterhead with our new logo and brand identity.

How did you come to work with Hansen Belyea?

Hansen Belyea is a name that I knew from having worked for a local communications agency, but I didn't look only at firms I knew. I conducted a comprehensive search for a Seattle-based communications firm to work with. I immediately liked what I saw on Hansen Belyea's website; I could tell that they had strong design and video capabilities. I considered several dozen firms, interviewed six firms, and then selected three from whom to solicit estimates.

Hansen Belyea made it onto my short list by virtue of how they presented themselves on their website and in person during a visit I made to their office. They had the most expensive estimate of the three firms, but we liked their comprehensiveness and personality. The three firms each had excellent strategic communications capabilities, but we felt strongly that Hansen Belyea had the best design skills. In the end, Hansen Belyea's design magic and overall creativity won us over.

We started working with Hansen Belyea in March 2016. The launch of the website and the brand identity were in place mid-February 2017. Going forward, we will continue to engage Hansen Belyea for strategic advice and as new communications projects arise.

In terms of anecdotal feedback, it’s been extremely positive. Internally, people are really pleased with the new logo and look of the website. What we’ve heard from clients, subcontractors, architects, and designers has all been positive. It was a big leap to go from a logo we had for decades to a new one, but it has worked out wonderfully. Our website spiked in users recently because we sent out a mailer announcing the brand change. I don’t think that traffic is going to stay at that level, but I'm betting it will go up over time.

How did Hansen Belyea perform from a project management standpoint?

Their project management is solid, but not quite as strong as their design, which is off the charts. There was less tracking of the budget than I would have preferred, but this may not be an issue for others. It was a pretty large project over a long stretch of time. One of the challenges for Hansen Belyea, which is true for almost ever communications firms these days, was working with an outside web developer. This introduces project management and communication challenges by default because you have an important player who is a third party. It all worked out, though, and the web developer delivered a highly functional site and clean code.

What did you find most impressive about Hansen Belyea?

There were two things. First, they bring an intangible quality to design and creative endeavors that you can't entirely explain, but it's everything. They've just got it, and that's huge. They're in a kind of sweet spot in that regard.

Overall Score I really enjoy working with Hansen Belyea and love what they deliver. I wouldn't mind more detailed project management communications, but that was a small point compared with the excellent effort they put forth and the results we've seen.
    Hansen Belyea has been really good at delivering when they said they were going to deliver. In some cases, they sped up because we gave them a short turnaround time. We were the ones who sometimes put on the brakes and took longer to make decisions.
    The value and quality were high, but the cost was high as well. That's not necessarily a negative; in fact, it's how we are at Schultz Miller; but I would not say Hansen Belyea is inexpensive.
    Hansen Belyea has come through at a high level with everything they’ve said they would do and everything we’ve asked them to do.

Logo & Messaging for Civil Engineering Consulting Firm

"From the website to the messaging, everything went so smoothly it was almost scary. They’ve been fantastic to work with."

Mar. - Oct. 2016

Hansen Belyea used discovery sessions to understand the client’s business to create a logo, website, and messaging that accurately conveys their brand personality.

Seattle, Washington
Lori Castro
Marketing Manager, Perteet Inc.

The entire process of working with Hansen Belyea is transparent. They ask the right questions to best understand the goals of their clients.

Perteet is a 75-person civil engineering consulting firm. We work mainly in the Puget Sound region in central and eastern Washington. We’ve been around since 1988. I’m the marketing manager responsible for all the marketing and business development activities.

What challenge were you trying to address with Hansen Belyea?

We had never updated or changed our logo. I’ve been here for 10 years now and I felt that it was the right time to do a rebrand. I felt like we really knew who we were and where we needed to be in the marketplace. We wanted a holistic change to our brand that addresses who we are, who we speak to, and which resonates with our employees and clients.

Hansen Belyea came in and started what they call their discovery sessions. We had every employee in our firm be part of that process. The sessions were meant for Hansen Belyea to find out why people work here, why they love Perteet, and what they really attributed personality-wise to help us create a brand platform that conveyed who we were.

Apart from that, they did a client survey. A lot of this was about asking the right questions. We have a budget like everybody, and I felt like they used our budget very wisely in the questions they asked. We had four discovery sessions and one client survey that we chose to send out. From what came back from that, I asked them for a creative brief on where we were before seeing any logo options.

We had a photo shoot for our website and they made a video that we used to launch the logo. A lot of our clients are public government agencies, so our proposal process is very important. Hansen Belyea helped us come up with all the tools and templates for our proposal. They also helped us with our website, branding, messaging, and boilerplate.

How did you come to work with Hansen Belyea?

I talked to 50-100 design firms, trying to find out what services they offer. What I found in my experience is that a lot of people say they do branding and logo, but very few really understand the talent and the expertise involved in doing a logo for a firm.

We shortlisted it to three firms where we did meetings and got proposals. I felt that Hansen Belyea really did beautiful work in their logos, and I loved their messaging. I called references myself and talked to people who were thrilled with what they did. But more than that, they seemed to be a good culture fit.

How much have you invested with Hansen Belyea?

We have invested under $50,000.

We started the process in March 2016. We got the logo in June or July 2016. October 2016 was our big launch.

When we had a big employee-owned event, I invited Hansen Belyea to come in and present the logo to our whole firm. People were clapping and smiling. The response to this logo has been really unbelievable, and that was only a tiny bit of what they did for us. The number of comments we got from clients who’ve worked with us for years and know the founder of the firm thought it was fantastic. They loved it.

We also gave gift cards out to our employees to have them purchase whatever they wanted, and we would get those items embroidered with our new logo on them. I didn’t think we would get too much of a response. I thought people might buy one thing and bring it in, but I had an employee that brought in 9 items to be embroidered. They loved the logo so much they wanted it to be on everything, which was cool and fun to see.

How did Hansen Belyea perform from a project management standpoint?

They were exceptional. I really am a stickler for communication, and I felt like there no moment where I didn’t know exactly what was happening or what step we were on in our contracts. When I would see results, they did a really good job of keeping me updated, delivering what they said they were going to deliver, and getting invoices to me on time. The management of that was really spectacular.

What did you most impressive about Hansen Belyea?

They have done an incredible job in the last 6 to 7 months, giving us all the tools we need to speak to our clients in a way that really represents us. Anticipating these logo options was such a nerve-racking process, but I can’t tell you how happy I was that they nailed the logo.

Are there any areas Hansen Belyea could improve?

To be honest, I can’t think of any. This whole process has been wonderful. I would have guessed along the way that something would go wrong or something would be a problem. From the website to the messaging, everything went so smoothly it was almost scary. They’ve been fantastic to work with.

Overall Score They exceeded my expectations at every point in this process.
    They really delivered. The process was very transparent. Keeping to our deadlines was critical and they did a stellar job.
    As we went through this process with the rebrand, I didn’t think we could afford a website. They provided the platform which allowed us to have a website.
    I would’ve never thought that I could find one agency to deliver the quality of the work they did on our logo, messaging, website, and brand.
    I would highly recommend them. They did a great job and they understand us so well. I’m excited to have a reliable place I can go to when we need messaging or to add a new discipline to our services. A brand needs a little checkup every once in a while.