Elite engineering for discerning technologists.

Elite digital innovation studio based in NYC. We've launched products for startups and large enterprises, and we incubate our own products at the cutting edge of digital technology. Our team of 10x engineers have been together nearly a decade, and built 40+ products from mobile and web apps to chatbots and IPTV platforms.

We differ from traditional creative agencies as we are a heavily product and engineering focused firm: we don't just tell stories, we back it up with stellar engineering and cutting edge technology.

• 433 Broadway
    New York, NY 10013
  • #1 Cofa Road
    Shenzhen
    China
  • 602-628 Fleet St.
    Toronto, ON M5V 1A8

Aetna, NHL, Dick's Sporting Goods, Chartbeat, Dish Network, Nascar, Fancred,  GameChanger Media

Mobile App Dev for Skating Coaching App

"They were very trustworthy and transparent…. They exceeded my expectations."

June 2016 - Ongoing

A sports management tracking tool needed to develop an iOS app that conveniently connected athletes and coaches and tracked progress on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.

CEO, Skateloop

HacknCraft was patient and understanding of the app creator’s non-technical background, providing regular communication and guidance along the way. The app has seen a steady increase in number of users and received positive feedback about the sleek look and intuitive functionality.

I’m the CEO of Skateloop, a basic management tracking tool for athletes.

What challenge were you trying to address with HacknCraft?
We were looking to develop an iOS app.

Once I decided I was going to work with them [HacknCraft], I gave them my idea, and they were able to create a work statement. They made sure everything I wanted to be featured was in the agreement. There were no surprises when I was contracting them.

The app is designed to track figure skaters’ progress on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. It connects coaches and athletes on a mobile platform so that it’s convenient for all parties. For now it’s just an iOS app, but it could possibly expand to Android.

How did you come to work with HacknCraft?
We were looking for someone with integrity who was willing to work with a startup. I don’t have a tech background, so I needed someone to help me understand that world. I wanted to be sure that the company I chose was comfortable working with someone who had a non-technical background. I needed them to help me understand how each step works. I heard about HacknCraft by word of mouth. I looked at companies online and found HacknCraft’s website, which was impressive. I had a 2-hour phone conference with HacknCraft when I first interviewed them, and we had a few other calls before I decided to go with them.

How much have you invested with HacknCraft?
I spent between $75,000–$80,000 on the project.

I started working with them in June 2016, and the relationship is ongoing. They continue to provide maintenance for bugs and enhancements.

I have a steady increase in users, and the response from users has been positive.

How did HacknCraft perform from a project management standpoint?
When I first started, I was calling them every day, and they were very prompt. I’ve never had any issues with them. We used Skype and UberConference to communicate.

What did you find most impressive about HacknCraft?
Their ability to understand and adapt to my needs and lack of knowledge in the tech world when it came to UX design was unique. They made it transparent for me to understand. It looked like they were giving me a high-level design, and the functionality was very intuitive.

Are there any areas HacknCraft could improve?
I can’t think of anything. If I had any issues, I could reach out, and they were good about getting back to me. The process was pretty quick.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with HacknCraft?
Come with a clear plan. They helped me a lot in terms of editing and were able to guide me in a way that made sense because they’ve been in the business.

Overall Score It was a smooth process. I was worried because I’ve heard horror stories, but I didn’t experience that.
    We set a date and they held to the deadlines.
    As a small business owner, they were able to make my app look expensive.
    They exceeded my expectations.
    They were very trustworthy and transparent.

Mobile App Dev for Sports Social Network

"They were invested in what we were doing and they were willing to have some of their success tied to our success."

Nov. 2016 - Ongoing

HacknCraft provided app development after a company acquisition. The team worked on bringing already-developed apps into the fold of the new company.

Andrew Miller
Founder, Fancred

The project went smoothly, and was delivered on time and below budget. HacknCraft understood the project goals and were able to join the team as equals. They were focused on the product’s success and had great customer service.

I am the Founder and President of Command Media, which owns our app, Fancred.

What business challenge were you trying to address with HacknCraft?

We acquired Fancred. It was a very hot Boston tech company in 2014 that raised a lot of inter-capital money and did not make it. We acquired their assets in September of 2016 and spent two months being very, very careful about how we would proceed with those acquisitions technologically. They needed a lot of work out of the gate.

I started out as an internet entrepreneur in 1998 and I built websites for people that I would charge a half million dollars that I could build for $10,000 today. Today we’re in a similar environment. Apps are expensive to work on. I expect in 10 years, like the internet, they’ll be a lot cheaper and there will be all kinds of tools, but today they are expensive.

How did you come to work with HacknCraft?

I spoke to a lot of app development companies including a couple that I know in Boston. I was introduced to HacknCraft from a mutual friend of ours and theirs who spoke very highly of them. I met with them in person in New York and was incredibly enthusiastic and impressed coming out of the meeting; miles above all my other meetings, honestly.

We started working with them November 2016 and have been working together since.

They had an on time delivery, ahead of cost, and we’re kind of getting ready for a big kind of push onto the consumer side, but we haven’t gotten there yet.

How did HacknCraft perform from a project management standpoint?

Laura, my COO, runs that, but 24/7, I would say, on Slack. A lot of it done virtually, but using technology, there’s immense amount of engagements.

What distinguishes HacknCraft from other providers?

So the things that jumped out to me about HacknCraft along with obviously liking the guys and having confidence in them were

1) They were not just “yes” people. They understood what we were trying to do and were prepared to be part of an extension of our team internally and not afraid to make suggestions or weigh ins.

2) They were not 100% focused on fees. They were invested in what we were doing and they were willing to have some of their success tied to our success. They were the only ones who truly really meant that. Others said it, but they’re the only ones who meant it with actions and not just words. They get in the game, for sure.

3) Every single thing they have done for us has been delivered ahead of schedule and are ahead or at cost or at a flat rate agreement, not billable hours that keep racking up and going on and on. So ahead of schedule timing, strong on the cost delivery, and above and beyond on the customer service and tweaks.

Do you have any recommendations for others considering working with HacknCraft?

I would just say make sure whoever you’re hiring is an app developer and at this point in the game is going to meet your expectations because I came very close to making a mistake with someone else and I think it would have been a disastrous mistake. I think at multiple levels, it would have been an ugly divorce.

With the caveat, they’re also expensive.

Mobile App Dev for Sports Pick'em Site

"I could interact with them the same way I would with my own employees…. It was an easy relationship."

May 2014 - Ongoing

HacknCraft developed native iOS and Android apps for a free sports pick ‘em app. They built and developed initial features, manage SDK updates, and continue to provide ongoing maintenance.

Jake Sutker
Co-Founder, Daily Bracket

Working with HacknCraft was like working with an internal team, though more guidance on technology strategy would have helped. They set realistic expectations and built in a buffer where needed, yet no milestone was missed. The teams communicated frequently through phone calls & Slack chats.

Introduce your business or organization and what you do there.
I’m a co-founder of Daily Bracket, a free sports pick ‘em app with a fantasy sports model as well. We provide 5 of the most important sporting events each night on our app. Users select which team they think is going to win. Based on how many days in a row they get at least 3 out of 5 right, they build a streak and earn both cash and other prizes.

What business challenge were you trying to address with HacknCraft?
We wanted to get iOS and Android mobile apps for our basic product out as quickly as possible.

HacknCraft built iOS and Android native mobile apps for us. They added features frequently in the beginning and still today, and they have maintained them. We had discussions where we told them what we wanted, and they offered their ideas. They also built a plug and play social widget, and I think we were the first of their clients to implement it. I don’t think that directly led to any user growth, but it definitely enhanced the user experience. We gave them a style guide, and they were pretty good at using that rather than requiring every little UI element to be sent to them. After we had been working together a while, they knew what we wanted. We let them have some freedom, and it usually came out nicely. During the current engagement with HacknCraft, we have some minor changes we want that they’ll make for us. For the most part, we’re not changing or adding to any features, but they handle any SDK updates with the third party services we use. They also make sure all certificates and press notifications and everything are working properly. If for some reason we receive a customer complaint that has to do with a bug, we forward that over to them, and they usually have a solution.

How did you come to work with HacknCraft?
I started this company with an adjunct professor at Columbia Business School, and one of the co-founders of HacknCraft was actually in one of my entrepreneurship classes. We met there and put together a plan of how we could work together, and we just continued from there. We wanted a development shop that was partly local so we could actually go and meet the people here in New York, but also one that wasn’t at the higher price range of app development in the U.S.

Anywhere from $2,000–$12,000 a month.

We started working with them mid-2014 and have been working together since.

We have over 400,000 registered users, and anywhere between 10–75,000 users access the app on any given day. No one has ever complained about the UI. Any issue with the app is either with the ads or unrelated to their work. Early on we worked out the kinks and bugs, but that wasn’t when we had to handle many users.

How did HacknCraft perform from a project management standpoint?
We met in person once a week early on and then communicated many times every day. We built the backend development in-house. We were building an API, and they needed not only to get the UI and designs from us, but they also needed to work closely with our developers to make sure that they integrated the APIs correctly when building the frontend. On a daily basis, I interacted with the CEO, a person who is not necessarily technical. I probably met or talked to him once every other week or so. They have a head iOS and head Android developer also, and both of them were in the weekly meetings and on the daily Slack chats.

What distinguishes HacknCraft from other providers?
I felt like they were an internal team. Even though we had the backend built internally, I felt like I could interact with them the same way I would with my own employees. I got the same professionalism. There weren’t any formalities that took away or wasted time. It was an easy relationship.

Is there anything HacknCraft could have improved or done differently?
Early on when we were making a lot of changes and adding on the fantasy model, a little bit was lost in terms of which technologies we should be using, questioning whether we should also be building a website and, if so, how we could integrate it seamlessly with the apps? I don’t know if they just didn’t want to butt in or not, but I think we could have used a little more help determining long-term technology strategies rather than building something that might or might not port over as easily either to a web app for mobile or just to a website.

Do you have any recommendations for others considering working with HacknCraft?
I recommend having a plan, a design, and an API built out, and then the work they do will be even more impeccable and fast. Because we worked with them as a team we went back and forth a lot: they needed to wait for us, and we needed to wait for them. If we hadn’t had them wait for us at any point, it would have taken much less time between releases.

They always hit the milestones. Delays were likely because of our API. They set realistic expectations and built in a buffer so at least our expectations were set.
    There are cheaper options, but there’s no guarantee the service would be as good. HacknCraft delivers what you should get for the higher cost.
    Because I was part of the QA team, they [HacknCraft] didn’t really bother to report on the details of what changed or what was still being tested.
    If my friend were realistically willing to pay for a top app development shop.

Web Dev for Music & Food Pairing Company

“What makes HacknCraft different is that they are open to what my design is, but can take it further.”

Aug. 2016 - Ongoing

Initially contracted for the redesign of a Wordpress site, HacknCraft is now developing a POS prototype and managing social media accounts.

Barbara Wermer
Founder, Musical Pairing

HacknCraft’s dedication to this project is substantial, and their social media management alone has garnered over 2K followers. They go above and beyond expectations to deliver a product that is unique and efficient, all while remaining friendly and willing to advise.

I am the founder of Musical Pairing, a website that uses mathematics to pair music with food.

What challenge were you trying to address with HacknCraft?

The website takes the same dish and uses mathematically selected music to affect taste, even across different ages and personas. I experimented and researched to see if the concept would have the same effect on different people with varying backgrounds. We held experimental dinners for about a year in different places around the country to see if we could garner the same results, and we did. Kejia Tang, HacknCraft’s CEO, was one of the people who came to our dinners, and we talked afterwards about redesigning my rudimentary Wordpress site.

HacknC raft redesigned my entire website in a couple of days working with me now on research. The new website did not utilize the same kind of WordPress template the previous one had, and I was given the option of using a CMS to make changes, so that I wouldn’t have to go back to HacknCraft for this.

We’re looking to see if taste can be affected across a restaurant by changing ticket times and making people want to get up and leave sooner. There are already companies who offer similar things, but they don’t have the research basis at a restaurant scale. They might do it for a single McDonald’s restaurant, but this information can’t be applied across the board, because it doesn’t take into consideration the difference in ambient sound. A restaurant in New York will have a much different decibel level than one in Kentucky. We’re seeing if we can overlay the same math in multiple places.

Another thing we’re using HacknCraft for is to see if we can eventually overlay this onto a web and POS system that can really manipulate ticket times. This was a much more technical task than the website build, but I became comfortable with their team, and asked for the impossible.

I gave them some quick requirements for this project, and they’ve already turned in a clickable prototype which I can show to investors.

I was working with a photographer who could supply any required images, but I couldn’t see what the first page of my website should be. It needed to feature music, food, and beverages, but I couldn’t quite get there. HacknCraft suggested having musical instruments on it and a homely aesthetic relating to food. I took notes on everything, handed them to the photographer, and he came up with it.

I am 55 years old and know nothing about social media. I’ve learned to tweet since starting the project, and I have a great LinkedIn account, but I did not understand how these could relate to my website. HacknCraft was terrific in helping me here, and I’ve reached 2,000 followers on Twitter alone.

How much have you invested with HacknCraft?

The cost of their work has been $15,000 to $20,000, but this will increase after funding for the prototype is received. HacknCraft knows that I have a new small business in the research phase, and have been terrific about working with me on budget.

I started working with HacknCraft in August 2016, and the main prototype was finished 2 months ago.

It’s a great page and it brings people to me, but, until we’re ready to launch a prototype, I won’t really care about low traffic or SEO. We are active on Twitter and other social media channels, and I like the fact that people can find me through the website and that it communicates the bizarreness we are right from the start.

Technically, the prototype is done, but HacknCraft still shows me new articles and findings. They didn’t drop me as a client after the work was done, and the team knows what I do as well as where I’m going with it. If they see an article on LinkedIn which relates to this, they will send it to me. Rather than simply looking at my brand and being done, they will send me little updates, even though I haven’t asked for this and am not paying for it. This level of humanity is sometimes forgotten in cyberspace, and it’s appreciated.

How did HacknCraft perform from a project management standpoint?

I’ve learned how to use Slack and InVision for prototyping, even though I’m not a technical person. We met for at least one hour weekly to go over everything. HacknCraft brought me up to speed with where they were on certain things, and I could make notes through InVision on what I liked and disliked. They either made the changes, or explained to me why an element should look the way it does. I appreciated their ability to really think through everything, instead of only doing what I asked for.

What did you find most impressive about HacknCraft?

I will think of something that no one’s done before, hand it to them, and they will do it without blinking. It’s like asking someone to reinvent the wheel. HacknCraft is also ridiculous timewise, and able to deliver what I want done in 5 weeks, in 3. I’ve asked the same things of other web developers, but they just paused.

I also like their design structures. I can do miracles with food and math, but I can’t determine what’s attractive. HacknCraft has a great design aesthetic, especially for people who know what they want, but have no idea how to get it.

What makes them different is that HacknCraft is open to what my design is, but can take it further, and once it’s there, they can make little tweaks and suggestions. They listen, and they’re careful to respect my vision, which is really rare. HacknCraft was very open to understanding what my brand was, even though they gave me tons of suggestions. My mind would go in different directions at times, and it was nice to have a team that reminded me about the core brand.

When I first started working with HacknCraft, I anticipated getting to choose between WordPress templates, but they really integrated everything. We’ve started talking about chatbots and different things which had not occurred to me as being usable.

Are there any areas HacknCraft could improve?

No, they’ve been terrific.

Be on time with the phone calls because HacknCraft will quickly hit the client with a lot of information. They can speak IT to regular people, which eliminated the disheartening feeling I’d felt previously. They have taken the time to teach me how to use Slack and other tools.

Overall Score I have nothing negative to say, even though I tried.
    They usually came in early.
    They work with the limitations of new entrepreneurs.
    I asked HacknCraft to do things which hadn’t been done before, and they just did it without question.
    Unless the client wants my time.

Mobile App Dev for Content Intelligence Platform

"HacknCraft brought expertise without requiring a lot of hand-holding."

Feb. 2016 - Ongoing

HacknCraft organized and documented an existing mobile SDK application for analytics. The team worked on making the app functional and creating a more dynamic framework. They continue to work on maintenance.

New York City Metro Area
Head of Project Planning, Content Intelligence Platform

The team was able to give suggestions and improve the project from the beginning. HacknCraft stands out for their ability to manage themselves with minimal oversight and information, providing good work nonetheless. They are willing to make changes according to feedback.

I am the head of project planning. Our company provides data analytics and intelligence, primarily for publishers. We give them insight on the usage of their sites, who their customers are, and how those people are engaging with the content so that the clients can make decisions on the type of content being produced, and how it’s promoted.

What challenge were you trying to address with HacknCraft?

Our core product is an analytics dashboard. Before I came to the company, we created a mobile SDK which would allow partners to integrate with and gather some usage statistics from the mobile platform. It was never fully-implemented, but, as mobile became more of a priority in the marketplace, we decided to put more emphasis on it. The reality was that we didn’t have the in-house resources or expertise. We have an engineering culture, and tons of resources, but none of them focus on mobile from a skillset or product development standpoint. We needed help from someone who actually knew what they were doing.

When we started the project, we had a version of the app in place, but it wasn’t well-documented or functional. We were able to give HacknCraft what we had, and start a few conversations with their team. We have an existing functionality for browsers, which HacknCraft took and mirrored through the mobile SDK. HacknCraft has made recommendations on having a more dynamic framework, which would be easier for developers to use.

How did you come to work with HacknCraft?

We found them through an internal referral. Our CEO had met HacknCraft through an interim program. We also reached out to other groups.

How much have you invested with HacknCraft?

The cost of their work was between $50,000 and $100,000.

We started working with HacknCraft 12-18 months ago. We have launched a beta program with partners, slowly onboarding them. There was a lot of work upfront, after which we focused on market responses. We continue to use them for maintenance and active development. They’ve been flexible in coming to our assistance, when necessary.

We currently have a video-tracking tool for desktop, but not on mobile. We’re contemplating integrating it into the mobile SDK. HacknCraft has provided an estimate, and we’re waiting for confirmation from partners.

The Android SDK didn't exist previously. Currently, there are 20-40 active partners on it. We have continued to make changes on the apps, and have received some crash reports from partners. I have sent that information to HacknCraft, and they were able to troubleshoot and correct it.

For us, it was important to see if users would adopt the apps and actually use them. As we’ve continued to develop the apps, more partners have asked about them. Expanding the video-tracking feature set is something that is likely to happen, but we’re waiting for more feedback from the marketplace.

Since we didn’t have too many QA resources, we worked with and got feedback from our partners, which we passed along to HacknCraft. They were able to make changes accordingly.

How did HacknCraft perform from a project management standpoint?

I primarily worked with 3 of HacknCraft’s staff members. There was a primary person working on iOS, another one on Android, and a main point of contact. All 3 were included in my emails, and, depending on what the question was and who was available, any one could jump on the issue. We started with regular phone conference calls featuring a couple of key engineers from our team, but, more recently, we’ve setup a Google Hangouts channel, and conference with HacknCraft there.

We didn’t have to micromanage them. There were a couple of kick-off meetings, but, overall, HacknCraft was good about sending updates and being clear. The communication was very good and didn’t require a lot of handholding.

What did you find most impressive about HacknCraft?

When they rolled their sleeves and started the work, they asked the right questions and got it done with limited guidance. We could call HacknCraft and talk through things, but they were able to grab the bull by the horns, for lack of a better term. They jumped in with limited background or documentation on our product and made recommendations for additional things we could add. that ability to start a project with limited information was key for us. HacknCraft brought expertise without requiring a lot of hand-holding, and they were able to communicate problems and provide multiple solutions. They’ve been open about the work being done and understood that, given the level of maturity our product has, we were reserved in how much we wanted to invest in it. There are certain areas we want to hold back on for now.

Are there any areas HacknCraft could improve?

We’ve not had any problems whatsoever, even though we didn’t provide them with as much direction from our end, as I’d ordinarily feel comfortable with. HacknCraft was able to jump in and roll with it.

Give them time upfront to discuss the issue. Once HacknCraft has a better understanding of it, they will be able to jump in.

Overall Score They’ve been a very good partner. The work is on time and overall solid, and HacknCraft communicates what they plan to do, and when.
    They delivered what they promised, when they promised.
    Every time they provided a quote, it was about what we would have expected. HacknCraft is on the mark with industry standards, and they work fast.
    We have many different partners relying on integrations, so it’s hard to know whom we should pin issues to.

Android App Dev for Youth-Sports Technology Company

“The project was completed on time, and HacknCraft was definitely a key component of this success.”

Sept. 2016 - Ongoing

HacknCraft provided a team member who helped develop an Android compatible app for a youth-sports technology company.

New York Metro Area
VP Management, Sports Software Company

HacknCraft’s involvement helped produce a highly responsive app on time which has proved successful. Their team member’s coordination and reliability, despite partially working remotely, was key.

We are a youth-sports technology company creating apps and web services for sports teams. We particularly target baseball and softball, and we simplify the scorekeeping process that allows coaches to gain insights from statistics. We provide a real-time experience to fans, generally parents and grandparents, and work with teams of all ages, from under 13 to high school and even college. I am the VP Product for the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with HacknCraft?

We were trying to accelerate the development of our Android app, and had a hard deadline in terms of the baseball season. We needed a contractor for this purpose. This was our first engagement of this type. We generally do everything in house with minimal contracting.

HacknCraft provided augmentation for our Android team, which was a new endeavor for us. As a company, we focus on native app development, and have a ton of iOS experience. The Android app was being built from scratch in a short time period. One of HacknCraft’s members came to our office and worked as a part of our team. The frameworks and tools we used came from that person’s experience, as did the general approach to the development structuring.

How did you come to work with HacknCraft?

The introduction was made through a friend who knew one of HacknCraft’s founders personally. We discussed a few different things including AppFriends, a product developed by HacknCraft. We approached other Android developers with a very specific idea of what we wanted, namely staff augmentation, and found that HacknCraft’s experience and knowledge would be on-par with our team. We interviewed the team member who would be working with us, and looked at their prior work examples. We also made a few reference checks. The most important aspect was that we could end the contract easily, in case things went awry.

How much have you invested with HacknCraft?

The cost was substantial. We were essentially given access to a full time employee for the better part of a year.

We started working with HacknCraft in August or September 2016. HacknCraft’s Android developer is continuing to provide 2 days of work per week.

The project was completed on time, and HacknCraft was definitely a key component of this success. We saw great results from the app in general, and the quality has been high. Specific metrics are attributable to our team rather than HacknCraft’s.

How did HacknCraft perform from a project management standpoint?

In the beginning of the project, our developer was onsite 100% of the time, over a period of months. He started being more remote at the beginning of 2017. The key for us was to have someone become a part of our core processes, since this was a nontraditional project for us. I’ve always seen decreases in productivity with any remote party, but the coordination with HacknCraft has been good. We have used Slack and Google Hangouts for communication. Our resource still acts as part of the team, and is quite competent.

Are there any areas HacknCraft could improve?

This engagement was different than HacknCraft’s usual services, but I can’t name anything.

Make sure that you are comfortable with the person providing the services. Having the developer in our office was key for us.

Within the context in which we’ve used HacknCraft.