Marketing Agency in Shanghai, China

Gentlemen marketing Agency is a Shanghai Based agency, specialized in Digital Marketing for China: SEO/SEM, Buzz, Social Media; online PR, and ereputation. We already have strong experience in Tourism, Cosmetics, fashion, B2B Industry and Food&beerage. Our team of experts will help Foreign firms to develop their Business in China, Image control, Ereputation, increasing your community, E-commerce development, Branding ...

The Founder Olivier VEROT & Philip Qian, French & Chinese, to insure a multicultural environnement efficient to success in the Internet Chinese World.

Shanghai, China
  • Room 703 Building 1, Greenland Central Plaza, No.1377 Jiangchang Road
    Shanghai

• Branding
  • Marketing Strategy
  • Digital Strategy

China-Centric Marketing Strategy for AR/VR Company

"Their knowledge of how digital marketing works in the Chinese market was second to none."

Sep. 2017 - May 2018

Gentlemen Marketing Agency provided marketing support and strategy for an AR/VR company looking to break into the Chinese market. They managed a WeChat advertising campaign.

Switzerland
Regional Manager, AR/VR Company

Gentlemen Marketing Agency had success with its WeChat campaign and was directly able to engage with customers in China. Their knowledge and understanding of the Chinese advertising market were fantastic.

At the time, I worked for a European company working in VR and AR. I took care of the Chinese brand initiatives.

What challenge were you trying to address with Gentlemen Marketing Agency?

We needed help with our China-focused marketing strategy and our WeChat campaign.

They developed different kinds of campaign strategies. They informed us we needed a WeChat account to directly transmit information and create a community. The account would also allow us to talk to our clients directly. They gave us a basic WeChat account and then they gave us counseling on how to interact with Chinese customers.

Their team advised on how to present articles and videos. They helped us create content targeted for Chinese audiences.

We worked directly with Olivier (Founder, Gentlemen Marketing Agency) and one other member of Gentlemen Marketing Agency

How did you come to work with Gentlemen Marketing Agency?

We found them online after doing some market research. After setting up a call, it was clear that they had worked in China for a long time. Olivier knew everything about digital issues regarding the Chinese market. I was impressed with their knowledge. Once they made an offer, we signed and started immediately.

We invested over €25,000 euros ($26,985 USD).

It started in September 2017 and ran to May 2018. The project ended when we were purchased by a larger company.

Because emails and linking aren’t effective in China, the WeChat engagement was very successful, comparatively. We could directly engage with customers; the whole mission was a success.

How did Gentlemen Marketing Agency perform from a project management standpoint?

They were effective. The project was managed with chats and calls on WeChat. We set up calls and they gave us timetables with every action that we should take.

Their knowledge of how digital marketing works in the Chinese market was second to none. They were able to go into detail and refine the little things that could seriously impact the project.

There was nothing I could think of.

For all foreign companies that come to China, this is the best agency that you can get. I would advise getting access to the Chinese market before launching anything. If you want to do advertising, make sure you know what you want and how you want to succeed.

WeChat Presence Building for Conference Management Company

"The team was readily available whenever we needed something."

2018 - Ongoing

Gentlemen Marketing Agency built and managed a WeChat platform to promote two conferences that the client held in China. They also assisted with the translation of the client’s content.

Montpellier, France
Bénédicte Clement
Event Manager, ANT Congrès

The team at Gentlemen Marketing Agency’s work increased visibility and helped the client gain traction in an unfamiliar market. They’re excellent communicators and always look for ways to add value to a project through their suggestions.

I’m a conference manager at ANT Congres. We are a professional conference organizer and we facilitate about 20 per year around the world.

What challenge were you trying to address with Gentlemen Marketing Agency?

We wanted assistance with marketing and digital media for two conferences we were organizing in China.

Gentlemen Marketing Agency built and assisted with managing our WeChat account since many of our usual media platforms are not allowed in China. They helped with content and visibility by providing translation and linking with contacts.

How did you come to work with Digital Marketing Agency?

I found them through a basic Google search for marketing agencies in China. I was able to connect with them because the younger sister of the founder lives in France.

We spent $6,500 on their services for two Chinese conferences.

We began working with them in 2018 and we collaborated again in 2019. We can’t hold any events this year in China because of the novel coronavirus outbreak. However, we will resume our collaboration with them in the future.

We don’t have any specific metrics because we had never worked in China before our engagement with Gentlemen Marketing Agency, so there’s nothing to compare. However, I was happy with their services. They increased our visibility and were quick to respond to our questions. I felt like our customers were taken care of.

We couldn’t use some of our preferred project management tools because they aren’t available in China. We mostly communicated with them directly through our WeChat account.

I was impressed by their friendliness and their fluency in both English and Mandarin. They were able to translate perfectly between the two languages. The team was readily available whenever we needed something. We were even able to visit their offices in Shanghai, and they were very hospitable.

Not really. Although, it would be nice if they were able to share analytics about engagement and activity on our WeChat account.

Do you have advice for potential customers?

Trust them because they know what they’re doing. Don’t be afraid to ask questions.

International Digital Strategy for Medical Practice

"They take a friendly approach. It allows us to communicate quickly and as needed."

Sep. 2019 - Ongoing

Gentlemen Marketing Agency supported the creation of WeChat accounts. Now, internal stakeholders create content, and the vendor translates it and adapts its appearance for the Chinese audience.

Moscow, Russia
Marketing Manager, Medical Practice

The WeChat account has maintained a steady amount of followers, and it has achieved a good clickthrough rate for the market. The vendor has maintained a responsive, personable communication style througout the engagement. It's clear they are invested in the success of the project.

I’m the international marketing manager of a medical practice.

What challenge were you trying to address with Gentleman Marketing Agency?

We needed help with our international digital strategy.

They helped us create WeChat accounts. Every month, we create two posts to feed the community on these accounts, and I create content with them.

The medical segment is very tricky. I can’t give them all the keys to make everything on their own. So, I provide the content on my own, and they translate it and adapt it to the Chinese public. They add the design, the layouts, and everything we need to make it beautiful. They give me a lot of ideas when I don’t know what to say.

Also, I’ve received approval for a budget I made with them regarding the development of a communication strategy. They’re going to develop a website for China. I’ll head the project and tell them what to input and where we need to focus. Then, they’ll do PR for us when the website is done. We’ll also do the SEO campaign.

I work with the key account manager, who is a really nice guy. I also work with the commercial director and the website developer.

How did you come to work with Gentleman Marketing Agency?

I made a very big benchmark at the beginning of the year. So, I called all the agencies in China to see what they could propose, how they would react to the project, how they would price it, and how they would follow-up.

I chose Gentleman Marketing Agency because their price was attractive, and I found them quickly because they had very good SEO. I was looking to see which company had the best SEO, and they placed in the first results every time.

We’ve invested 5,000 euros (approximately $5,400 USD) so far. The plan is to pay 24,000 euros (approximately $26,000) for the year.

We started working together in September 2019, and the work is ongoing.

We’ve had 170 followers on WeChat since November. The clickthrough (CTR) rate is between 15-20%, which is good. (On WeChat, it’s very hard to have a good engagement rate because their users aren’t as active as us.)

How did Gentleman Marketing Agency perform from a project management standpoint?

Their project management is good. In the beginning, we just needed to adapt to each other. I’m satisfied, and they reply very quickly. The account manager is like a friend now because we talk every day. He’s super available—he even answers on the weekend. He’s helped me out when I had doubts. To communicate, we speak on WhatsApp.

They take a friendly approach. It allows us to communicate quickly and as needed. There’s transparency.

No, they did well.

Work with them. I’m very satisfied. A lot of other agencies didn’t care about the project or gave me a very high price, unlike Gentleman Marketing Agency.

Digital Marketing for Wine Subscription Service

"They're sharp, fast-reacting, and they know good of what they are doing."

Jan. 2017 - June 2018

Gentleman Marketing Agency supported digital marketing for a wine subscription service. Providing SEO, SMM, and online event creation, they improved search results on Taobao and Baidu.

Shanghai, China
Jin Wang
Marketing Manager, Cellar Beauty Shanghai Co., Ltd.

Due to Gentleman Marketing Agency’s efforts, the wine subscription’s site ranks highly on Baidu in both English and Chinese. Their team worked efficiently and reacted quickly to challenges. They offer great service for a good value.

My previous company was a wine importer in Shanghai, China. It distributed wine into Chinese market through both online and off-line channels. My position there was the marketing manager.

For what projects/services did your company hire Gentlemen Marketing Agency?

It hired GMA for specifically for digital marketing purpose. GMA did SEO\Social Media Marketing\Online Event Creation and Management for us. The specific project we had with GMA were three, including broadcasting and boosting the sale of our monthly recommended wine, pushing our subscription and build our consumer database.

We looked at maintaining a high speed increase for our product sales as well as of our consumer base. In order to achieve so, we will need to clearly understand the needs of consumers in the Chinese market and push our most suitable to them.

They were introduced by a friend. I then searched them on Google before I came back to Shanghai. By that time, I was working in Singapore.

GMA did SEO\Social Media Marketing\Online Event Creation and Management for us. It has been a while so I couldn't recall each detail of their work. However, I remember they manage our baidu searches, Taobao comments and advertisement, and facebook reviews. They also talked online with our customers to collect their responses.

I worked with Olivier and Philip directly for most of the time. I also worked with they analysts sometimes when they have some instant response. I know they had a few digital designers as well back to that time.

Our specific brand name French Cellar Shanghai and Cellar Beauty Shanghai were shown ranked top 5 on Baidu when you search wine subscription or wine event in Shanghai in both English and Chinese.

Positively for most of the time. I was usually the one to connect with them. They are prompt in replying emails and effective in giving answers.

They're sharp, fast-reacting, and they know good of what they are doing. Overall, they're a good value.

If they have more powerful off-line event organizing ability to underpin their strong online service, it will be more perfect.

Overall Score Great for start-ups and middle scaled companies.
    They always met the deadline except sometimes the results could be slightly defected.
    Good value!
    Great for most of the time.
    They provide good value service but if you are super rich or need super fancy results, you may want to try higher end company.

Digital Marketing for International Business Consultant

"Their flexibility and speed stood out."

Mar. 2018 - Nov. 2019

Gentlemen Marketing Agency managed the online presence of a third-party client. They implemented web design, Baidu positioning, and Weibo and WeChat social media management.

Hong Kong
Alberto Antinucci
Owner, Antinucci Consulting

After the campaign, the retail product was in high demand, which spurred a price increase. Internal stakeholders appreciated the multicultural aspect of the team. In addition, their communication style and task management were seamless.

I am an international business consultant with deep understanding of the Chinese market. My clients are European business owners who wants to enter the Chinese market with strong positioning. We design the business plan with the clients and we choose who to work within the territory.

For what projects/services did your company hire Gentlemen Marketing Agency?

Gentlemen Marketing Agency distinguished themself from other agencies for the professional approach and already established case histories. Not only we found a great marketing interface, but we were immersed by the knowledge of all the team. Over 30 people ready to support and develop the project.

Our main goal was to let Chinese consumers know about our client's product as the best Italian Red Wine in a very competitive field. The online campaign accompanied the offline wine tasting tour in different cities and the results were immediately seen with the consumers appreciating the product simply because of its elegance, taste and lifestyle approach. A luxury wine is difficult to sell when nobody knows about it. GMA helped us to spread the words.

It was not an easy choice to select GMA at first, but all the available documentation online and guides and how-to posts let us immediately understand the high quality of the team. Direct interaction and personal relations then drove the decision to GMA.

GMA took complete control of the digital presence online of the client and starting from Chinese web design, wechat official account, weibo, baidu positioning, newsletter, online reviews, etc. it was a well-coordinated job.

We have worked closely with the principle of the firm as well as the assigned project manager. She then directed all the related competence works to all teams accordingly. I can say it was great teamwork with superb direction.

The project was a success: we were able to start from zero to hero! Once started there were difficulties to let consumer understand what the wine was about and we had difficulties to sell it for 150€/bottle (under cost).

After the campaign, the product was in high demand and the retail price on our WeChat Store for CrossBorder delivery was RMB4999= corresponding to €750/bottle.

There was never a problem to understand where we were about with both directions and communication. It was a smooth process of intercultural business approach. Very nice and enriching at the same time.

Their flexibility and speed stood out.These are definitely two aspects of GMA that impressed me the most.

Also, the multicultural environment with employees from many different nationalities and cultures made the place very special and highly constructive,

Like always there are areas of improvement for anyone, but like I previously stated, GMA was the right partner at the right time with the right suggestions and correct price positioning. So far, Olivier and his partners are doing great and wish lot of business for them to come!

Overall Score Excellent
    Never had a problem
    Aligned to the market
    Excellent
    Very likely

SEO for Sensor Manufacturing Company

"Their team was very pleasant to work with."

June 2013 - July 2014

Gentleman Marketing Agency employed SEO tactics to help increase the Google and Baidu search performance of a sensor manufacturing company in 3 different languages.

GM, Manufacturing Company

The project produced positive results for the client, elevating them to the number one position in all of their targeted keywords and generating a significant number of leads. The Gentleman marketing Agency team is both collaborative and highly knowledgeable about their work.

We are a manufacturer of sensors with several factories around the round including one in China. I'm the director of the company.

For what projects/services did your company hire Gentlemen Marketing Agency?

We hired Gentlemen Marketing agency to appear on the first page on google and baidu rank in 3 different language with different keyword. The keywords choice was also analyzed and advised by GMA.

We wanted to improved our ranking for the keyword that we selected and to appear on the first page for some keyword and on the top first for some others. The aim was to generate leads.

We selected then after comparing several offers, and selected them for their ability to understand our needs and our market.

We made several pre-meeting to understand clearly the lead. Then we had regularly report to see our ranking evolution and actions taken. Project ended when the goal was reach.

The team was composed by a project manager that that was our windows.

We are now ranking on rank first on several keyword and the lead generate by those actions were consequent.

Their team was very pleasant to work with.

Their way of working closely together and their industry knowledge were very impressive.

No, we were satisfied by the result.

Overall Score Continue like this, great company
    Scheduling was respected
    The cost was competitive
    Goal was reach
    I would not hesitate to refer GMA.

Lead Generation & SEO Strategy for Tourism Company

"GMA took the challenge and outperformed. They will always go the extra mile for their clients."

Jan. 2012 - June 2019

Gentlemen Marketing Agency helped a luxury tourism company enter the Chinese market. They executed on lead generation strategies, working on SEO, search engine marketing, and online brand reputation management.

Paris, France
Co-Founder, Luxury Travel Agency

Gentlemen Marketing Agency raised the brand's organic search rankings to the top of the page for several keywords. In addition to securing more site traffic, their team remained a responsive partner, providing exceptional service before and after campaigns.

I am the CEO of a luxury travel agency.

For what projects/services did your company hire Gentlemen Marketing Agency?

We hire Gentlemen Marketing Agency to develop a leads generation strategy in China.

Our goals was to improve our Brand awareness and receive leads from direct traffic in China.

Gentlemen Marketing Agency has been recommended to us by other actors of our market.

The scope of their work was to implement our SEO, SEM, SMA and E-reputation strategy.

A project manager was dedicated to our company and build weekly contacts with our Communication department. One of the managing partner usually give us his support during the monthly reports.

Gentlemen Marketing Agency team did an extraordinary job by managing to rank our website on the top pages the major part of our targeted keywords. Thanks to it, a large amount of accurate traffic is guaranteed to be imported into our website.

From the start, GMA were extremely responsive to our needs. I was very impressed with their service levels during and post-project.

GMA took the challenge and outperformed. They will always go the extra mile for their clients. I would greatly recommend GMA to anyone looking for a long term digital partner in China.

We always would prefer to get even faster results, but targeting fast growth is also a matter of budget.

Web Dev & Digital Strategy for Italian Fashion Brand

"Gentlemen Marketing Agency has saved our lives more than once, providing us with the right advice."

Nov. 2015 - Ongoing

Gentlemen Marketing Agency has helped an Italian fashion brand enter the Chinese landscape through a robust marketing strategy. They designed the website, uploaded content in Mandarin, and now manage social.

Sarnano, Italy
Nicola Venanzi
Founder & CEO, LE SIU Srl

The brand is still in the final phases of entering the Chinese market, and Gentlemen Marketing Agency has been an integral partner every step of the way. While the team does face some turnover challenges, they've grown substantially over the years and have remained amicable.

I'm the Founder and CEO of LE SIU Srl, an italian company with a legal entity established in SH. LE SIU produces and sells through social ecommerce channels and concept stoers high quality fashion shoes for men and women handmade in Italy.

For what projects/services did your company hire Gentlemen Marketing Agency?

LE SIU's internationalization strategy focuses mostly on the Chinese market, whose landscape is unique and completely different from other countries.

We needed professional support for the whole project:

• market entry strategy
  • price positioning
  • social media landscape
  • e-reputation
  • web marketing in general

After a screenig of the market, we decided to look for a professional Agency who could have been able to provide the full range of services needed.

We realised soon, after the first approaches to the Chinese market, that for a foreign company, it would have been practically impossible to manage effectively the market entry, without a professional partner who could have managed under the same cap all the aspects of the projects.

We firstly checked within Shanghai area the Agencies offering the services needed. The search was done through Google, specialised Forums, but also through Baidu, the chinese Google, which unfortunately is only in Chinese.

A Chinese colleague helped us to verify the results on Baidu. Finally we selected some of the most interesting Agencies. Myself and my brother Piero, who is the co-founder, went personally to SH and we meet around 6-7 of them.

We eliminated immediately companies that might present a language barrier. The meeting with GMA was the most intertesting among all Agencies met. We talked to the owner, Oliver and to the Director: Alexandre.

Before commissioning the job, we met GMA 3-4 times, aiming to define exactly the scope of the project and the services needed. This has been also the opportunity to get to know closer each other and to establish a deeper relationship not only professional, but also on personal basis.

Once we started, GMA we had very clear in mind every single step to be done. GMA gathered all company documents, applied to open official accounts on WeChat, Weibo, QQ and also Little Red Book the booming chinese social app.

GMA reserved a chinese web-domain, (www.le-siu.cn) got from Government the compulsory Internet Content Provider License in our name, designed the website and loaded all our contents in Chinese.

Afterwards they started posting content on social media, worked on e-reputation and took care of press releases. We defined a monthly budget based on a detailed retainer quotation which we got from them.

We usually talk to GMA owners and to the Account Manager of LE SIU within GMA a Chinese guy, Lucian, who manages a team of 12 people assigned to LE SIU each one specialised on a topic.

The project after 2 years is still on going. So far we reached every goal which we set on our "to do" list with GMA. The process of entering the chinese market is complicate and we are inthe middle of it. But the first results are even above ourexpectations.

We could establish a very friendly and cooperative working team between GMA and LE SIU. Yes we discuss a lot, but we also have fun together. This is fundamental when working with a partner.

When we started, they were relatively small, I think 12/15 people. In 3 years they grew up massive. Now there must be around 70/80 people in their office. GMA occupy the entire 20th floor of a brand new building. This says more than 1000 words. There must be a reason if they could beat the competitors and become one of the best Agencies in SH.

yes, but not directly related to GMA itself. In China the turnover of employee is very high. They can change job and company even after few months. We, as customer, also suffered this "culture", because new employee in the LE SIU team at GMA side, means more job from our side to explain egain some concepts, exchange again the files etc. But this is a problem we must live with, because it is very common in Shanghai, definitely not only at GMA.

Overall Score After almost 3 years we are still working with GMA. There must be a reason for this ;-)
    Simply never had issues from this aspect
    GMA is more expensive than other Agencies. But the value for money is unbeatable
    Gentlemen Marketing Agency has saved our lives more than once, providing us with the right advice.
    At the moment possibly the best choice for a foreign brand planning to enter the Chinese market

Digital Marketing and Web Dev For Investment Firm

“The project was only supposed to take four or five weeks, but ended up taking close to four months.”

Jan. - May 2019

Gentlemen Marketing Agency managed social media posts and demand-side platform ads, intending to increase brand awareness in the Chinese market. They also developed and translated a website.

Dubai, UAE
Ahmed Zakaria
CEO, Strategic Property Investments

Costs mounted quickly as delays piled up and lead generation goals went unmet. They couldn’t provide documentation for ad spend expenses and were eventually discovered generating false leads. Not only were time and opportunity lost, but in-house staff turnover also increased due to dissatisfaction.

I’m the CEO of Strategic Property Investments. We provide SOMETHING RELATED TO funds in real estate and development in the Middle East and East Asia. Our customers fall into two groups: investors and B2B/B2C clients looking to buy real estate.

What challenge were you trying to address with Gentlemen Marketing Agency?

We’ve just begun expanding our business into China and I was looking for a marketing partner who could help us bring in high-quality contracts.

They were supposed to provide digital marketing on multiple platforms, including some specific to China. This involved managing our social media accounts and making posts on our behalf. They also worked on lead generation through demand-side platform (DSP) ads that would appear in news apps. Their goal was to generate 60-80 leads per several hundred thousand impressions. We were also interested in having them provide web development for our Chinese content, but that went on a separate contract.

We were originally supposed to have four team members working with us, but we only ended up having account managers for digital marketing and web development. I’m not sure if they outsourced the translation services or not.

How did you come to work with Gentlemen Marketing Agency?

They’re a bilingual team based in China. Language was the biggest barrier to us as an international company, so we needed someone we could communicate with. I felt like we got along well when we met face-to-face in Shanghai, especially since they claimed to know big-name developers in our other markets.

We spent about $8,000.

We worked with them from January–May 2019.

How did your relationship with the vendor evolve?

While the web development was slow, the digital marketing seemed to be fine, at least at first. As time went on, we grew frustrated by delays and our in-house staff found lots of major translation mistakes in the copy we sent them. We eventually discovered that their account manager was asking her friends to click on our ads and submit false leads in order to run through our ad spends. The deception became apparent when our sales team tried to follow up on the leads and found social connections to their staff.

How did Gentlemen Marketing Agency address the challenges that arose?

They’d promised us data analysis and access to reports, plus access to the backend, but they didn’t produce any of these things. Whenever we’d ask for receipts or proof of our ad spends, they didn’t have them.

Describe the impact this engagement has had on your business.

Thanks to the false start on entering the Chinese market, we ended up losing some of our sales staff. We had to pay a headhunter to replace them, which was very costly. Our team also wasn’t able to see any results despite months of work, which was not good for morale. We were led to believe that our brand identity was developing in a positive direction and that we were investing in the right kind of marketing. Trusting this company wasted a lot of time and opportunity for us.

How was project management handled?

Project management was generally ineffective. The project was only supposed to take four or five weeks, but ended up taking close to four months. It took them over a month just to initiate our contract. Their work on the web development was painfully slow, and it also seemed like it took a long time to activate our social media channels. Our WordPress site didn’t go online until three months into development, and it seemed like they only prioritized it when we pressured them to work on it.

Is there anything that the vendor did well or that you would consider a strength?

They’re responsive when it comes to sending out proposals and invoices. They engage well with clients on that front.

In what specific areas can they improve?

They need to overhaul their business culture and their code of conduct if they plan to continue working with international clients.

What advice do you have for clients with similar needs to yours?

I would not recommend hiring them. They were slow and under-delivered.

1.0
    They didn’t deliver anything.

Digital Marketing for Intl. Electrical Manufacturer

"...they really helped us structure our digital marketing strategy."

Apr. - Dec. 2018

Gentlemen Marketing Agency was brought on board to boost the reputation of an electronics manufacturer, in China. They worked to improve the client's performance on Chinese search engines and social media.

General Manager Asia, SELTECH

Gentlemen Marketing Agency developed a smart digital strategy, culminating in a real increase in leads originating from China. They effectively improved the client's performance on Baidu through keyword marketing and backlinks, as well as creative generated content. They were responsive and skilled.

Seltech is electronic product supplier. I am working as General manager for our Asian office

For what projects/services did your company hire Gentlemen Marketing Agency?

We were looking for increasing our e reputation in China, on internet and on wechat.

get better result through Baidu search generate content on chinese social media

we careful review the strategy they will use to approach our issue. they gave planning and advice that gave us confidence to choose them for our project.

SEO Audit SEO baidu improvement : key word, backlinks, seo campaign Wechat ebrochure Wechat communication setup

2 people involve : one for the project defintiion, one for development

We saw real increase on the website requirement coming from China. leading to an increase of our opportunity pipeline

they provide fast answer to our requirement by emails.

they have professional point of view. and they really helped us structure our digital markteing strategy.

Not from our point of view