Web, Mobile, Design & Development - Geeks Chicago

Geeks Chicago is a full-service development and design firm with over 14 years of experience in the digital space. We specialize in custom web and mobile development. This includes iOS, Android, and custom web applications.

Geeks also work with all major CMS systems including WordPress, Drupal and Joomla. We have an extensive background developing systems with many different API's, both custom and third party. Some of the third parties have included PayPal, Stripe, Google API integration. The Geeks team has worked with clients in many different industries on many types of projects. Our team of experts are available to make sure your website or application are done correctly the first time and always within budget.

Prospect Heights, IL

- Urban Abodes

- Kranze Tech

- Epsilon

New company website

Geeks Chicago launched a new rebranded website in 2018. Amazing custom features and pages with a 100% custom design.

Expense Report Software Company

Tallie is part of one of the largest expense reporting software companies in the world. Geeks Chicago was retained by Tallie for a complete branding overhaul and a new more modern CMS.

Custom apartment rental CMS and website

We have worked with the owner of Urban Abodes for over 10 years and this is the fourth major website with custom backend Geeks has built. The CMS has a fully functional apartment rental management system with marketing tools.

MyYield iOS Mobile App

MyYield is an iOS application used by farmers to calibrate their MyYield seed treaters. The application automates the process that farmers use to calculate chemicals, water, and pressure for different types of seeds they are treating. The old process required a spreadsheet or paper and pencil to calculate the treatments. Not only has the made the treatments much faster it has also eliminated the risk of user error which could be very costly for the farmers.

Custom Website Development and Design for Chicago PR Firm

Geeks Chicago was hired by one of Chicago's oldest and most respected PR firms to develop a new website. The old site had a very outdated design and was not mobile friendly. In 2016 we launched the new site that received rave reviews from founders of the firm but also their clients.

iPhone app custom

Custom Ecommerce Website

Enterprise E-signature Application

New Website Defense Consultant

New Website for Residential Real Estate Company

“Geeks Chicago is excellent in terms of communication. ... they aim to please.”

Oct. - Dec. 2017

Geeks Chicago built a multifaceted website that houses rental information and tools for agents to interact with potential renters. They also created a custom API to map properties according to school district.

George Christos
Marketing & Technology, Urban Abodes

The website is generating more leads and gaining positive feedback from agents. Geeks Chicago devised several solutions—all aimed at improving usability—that have proven successful. They fixed issues quickly, grasped business processes with ease, and even delivered two weeks ahead of schedule.

Urban Abodes is a real estate brokerage company located in Chicago. We’re full-service brokers who specialize in residential leasing—apartments, single-family homes, and condominiums. I’m in charge of the company’s marketing and technology.

What challenge were you trying to address with Geeks Chicago?

We’d been operating in the industry for 25 years, but needed a new website since we opened a new company.

The requirements were for a two-dimensional website. One caters to the general public looking for apartment condos to rent and also serves as a platform that allows our agents to run their businesses. Our agents are independent contractors who we provide with all the tools needed to rent our apartments.

The second and most important part was providing a set of tools that allows agents to do 30–40 different things, from sharing apartments with their customers to posting those apartments with the click of a button on various websites (e.g., Craigslist, Trulia, HotPads, Zumper). The more important part was giving agents tools for increasing both their business and ours without them having to be in-office.

The site also had to be highly functional to allow users to make searches easily as well as be able to come up with the required dwellings. Geeks Chicago did an amazing job in both respects.

The website layout allows the general public to make searches, share apartments with friends, and send showing requests to us via an integrated calendar. Beyond the attributes visible to the general public (e.g., number of bedrooms, bathrooms, available parking, proximity to schools, contact information), agents get access to a completely different set of information. They can see the owner name and phone number, leasing and presentation instructions, and the contact information for the agent in charge.

Geeks Chicago was also able to figure out a way of mapping each apartment in reference to certain school districts. Chicago Public Schools offered an API, but it was difficult to work with and required a week of work from their team. Geeks Chicago created a custom API for dealing with this which lists every school district.

We have a completely custom site. I believe they used PHP.

We worked with two or three people from their team. The scope of the site was set up with Mark [Co-Founder, Managing Partner]. I also dealt with two programmers from his team who were responsible for everything. Mark checked in with me periodically to see how everything was running.

How did you come to work with Geeks Chicago?

I came across their name when I was looking at different companies online. I talked to one of my competitors who I’d known for years and he told me some good things about Geeks Chicago as well. I reached out and found them to be a good fit.

The cost of their work was around $35,000.

We started working with Geeks Chicago around mid-October 2017. The project was wrapped up in mid-December. We have them on a monthly retainer.

Over the past 20 years we’ve built websites that were top-notch at time of launch, but eventually became obsolete. We decided to keep Geeks Chicago onboard so they could continue to improve the site and eliminate the need to completely rebuild it in two years.

It’s a great site that’s generating a lot of leads. I have 20 agents using the site who absolutely love it. Many of them came from other companies and mentioned that they hadn’t used anything similar before.

Geeks Chicago figured out a great solution around apartments’ proximities to school districts.

A client can go to our site and look up every apartment in the Blaine School District. If we have anything there, it will pop up.

We have four or five other features incorporated at their suggestion, like the availability of public transportation near an apartment. From the standpoint of general users, Geeks Chicago has done an amazing job.

How did Geeks Chicago perform from a project management standpoint?

We cut a deal with Mark after talking about our company and what we did. We had an meeting where we showed him our systems, what we do, and how we do it. He called me back a couple days later and brought an outline of everything he planned to do. I appreciated that he had a grasp of our business and its processes. There was no learning curve for him.

When he came back, he showed me how they planned to accomplish what I requested, but also brought 10 other things that I’d never thought of. Mark also put me in touch with a great graphic designer from Canada who I started working with. They gave me multiple looks to choose from, and when I settled on one, they worked with Geeks Chicago for implementation.

They promised to deliver the site before Christmas, but I received it a couple of weeks before that. I had regular conference calls with their development team through join.me and UberConference during which they demonstrated elements to me. I also shared my screen in order to show them how I wanted the site to look.

I’m able to send an email to their help desk regarding any issues and receive confirmation of action within 15 minutes. They solve problems within 3–4 hours.

I’ve worked with other companies that didn’t always return my calls. Geeks Chicago is excellent in terms of communication. They aim to please.

One of the key things that helped us initially was that Mark understood our business. I explained what we did and he grasped it. They were able to implement what I wanted and made a number of suggestions that made everything better.

Not that I can think of. I’m not trying to make Geeks Chicago sound god-like, but they were very good. Any problems with the site were fixed immediately and the communication with the development team was fantastic.

I just advise clients to call Geeks Chicago, sit down with them, and thoroughly explain the goals. I’m sure the team will be able to accomplish those goals. Although real estate is a forte of theirs, they’ve worked on sites for a number of other industries.

I received quotes from other companies for up to $70,000 for the site, with most being around $50,000.
    They’re a very good company.

WordPress Website & Rebrand for Military Scholarship Fund

“They were true partners, and supported us at every step… They were right in line with what they said they would do.”

Oct. 2017 - Ongoing

To ensure the stability of a non-profit’s online presence, Geeks Chicago rebuilt a customized site from scratch. They played a part in every detail, including coding, branding, UI, and SEO.

Founder, Scholarship Fund

After the initial planning stages, the site was finished within a matter of months. Geeks Chicago demonstrated critical thinking, attention to detail, and a level of reliability and responsiveness that exceeded expectations.

I am a co-founder of a not-for-profit organization that provides scholarships to families who meet our requirements.

What challenge were you trying to address with Geeks Chicago?

We needed to completely revamp our website and clean up the code. Security is very important to us, so we wanted to build a new site from scratch, with a strong foundation of tools and strategies. We also wanted a better user interface and improved SEO.

They built a customized WordPress site from scratch. We relied on them to help us come up with best practices. They recommended a few templates, and set us up with access to the site maintenance so we can care for the site going forward, but they enhanced the site with their own tools and widgets.

They coached us through colors, logos, and a total rebranding of our site. They updated the whole interface, and explained how the improvements could help inform and educate our donors and users. They saw the site as a messaging and fundraising vehicle that could benefit the people we serve. They came up with ideas for more effective branding, and asked us what sort of image we wanted to project. They made sure we had a thoughtful strategy, and included a lot of detail in their process. You name it, they did it.

Though we’ve launched, the project isn’t completed, and we’re going through another refresh to incorporate video and other features into the site. We’re also teaching our team more about WordPress. We’re entrusting Geeks Chicago with our ongoing maintenance and support.

I didn’t work with everyone on their team. They’ve touched numerous people within our organization, and their specialists worked with different members of our staff.

How did you come to work with Geeks Chicago?

We reviewed a long list of vendors, which we whittled down to three. When we considered those three possibilities, Geeks Chicago had the best vision and plan. Their responsiveness, attention to detail, problem solving, and strategy made us trust them the most.

We’ve known them for at least a year now. They started building the site itself around October or November 2017, and we just launched at the beginning of January 2018. Now that we’ve launched, we’ll keep them on as consultants.

We have fantastic feedback on the new logo and the simplicity of the website, and had wonderful compliments internally about how good they were with our team. We’ve elevated our professional branding, which will have an impact. Since we just launched, it’s too early for quantitative results, but we have analytics built into the backend and anticipate improvements to traffic volume and quality within the next six months. That data will help us serve our donors and beneficiaries better.

How did Geeks Chicago perform from a project management standpoint?

They were outstanding, and exceeded all my expectations. They were very quick to turn things around, and were very diligent on requesting feedback for the drafts. I never felt that the project was delayed, and we were never behind schedule. They were professional and sincere. We got great advice and feedback for areas to improve, and they gave us the tools and ability to make those improvements. They deserve praise, and we are thankful for their partnership.

They were true partners, and supported us at every step. They were responsive, and got invested in our mission and our vision. They made us think through items to get us the very best quality product. Their critical thinking, attention to detail, and their level of reliability and responsiveness were extremely helpful, and they completed everything in a very timely manner.

I don’t have any criticisms of them. They set expectations, and then exceeded them. I would normally be critical, but they were right in line with what they said they would do.

Take the time to really understand what you are trying to achieve. They have over 20 years of experience, so listen to their advice. They’ll teach you a tremendous amount, and you will get a much better product. Tell them your goals, strategies, and the new interface you want. They will make recommendations and make sure you get the most out of your investment.

Overall Score I've never had a better experience working with any web designer.
    They never missed a deadline, they set expectations fairly, and delivered every step of the way.
    We got more out of them than I ever dreamed of.
    They were simply outstanding.
    I already have, and would recommend them ten times over.

Web Development for Sci-Fi News & Entertainment Platform

“The end product always ends up being exactly what we ask for.”

Aug. 2015 - Ongoing

Geeks Chicago redesigned a website UI, and also migrated the entire platform onto an Amazon Web Server with ElastiCache hosting to resolve high-traffic issues. They continue to provide ongoing development.

Wake Forest, North Carolina
Owner, Fantasy & Sci-Fi Website

The site is now able to handle heavy traffic, and the mobile site is more user-friendly. Their ability to consistently meet deadlines while staying true to expectations is impressive. They are an adaptive team that dedicates themselves to finding the best solution, all while remaining transparent.

I’m one of the owners of a fantasy, science fiction, entertainment, media, and news website. We offer daily news, as well as trailers for both games and movies. We also have list articles, book, film, and product reviews, as well as personality and trivia quizzes.

What challenge were you trying to address with Geeks Chicago?

We needed to create a comic section for an upcoming artist we hired, and we also needed continuous website improvement. This included back and frontend development, as well as mobile design and server updates.

They added a comic section and some features, including a bar that allows users to go through comics without leaving the page. Someone else developed our website, but for the past two years, Geeks Chicago has taken over the ongoing development and maintenance of it.

Our website was mobile responsive, but the formatting wasn’t great. There was a lot of unused space, as well as many other unattractive elements. Geeks Chicago redesigned the entire UI to utilize space more effectively. We changed the cover images and quiz section, and also changed font sizes and the width of article text. We also changed the social sharing button.

We used to have a dedicated server, but it was unviable because it would shut down due to heavy traffic. Geeks Chicago suggested we use the Amazon Web Server, and they also set up Amazon ElastiCache for us. We gave them access to our old server, then they transitioned everything over, including all of our images. Everything now works fluidly, even though we have more traffic.

We have a project lead, but we don’t work with him frequently. There’s also a project manager and someone else who we communicate with on a consistent basis. They have a large team, but I’m unsure exactly how many people are involved.

We’ve spent $7,500 for various projects for the website.

We started working together in August 2015, and the relationship is ongoing.

The features work as intended, and projects were completed on time, so I feel they’ve met my expectations. We are now able to handle heavy traffic, whereas we used to have an issue at least once a month. They’ve alleviated us of that burden. We also adjusted the mobile site to be more user-friendly. They implement anything we ask them to do.

How did Geeks Chicago perform from a project management standpoint?

I usually accept their timeline estimates, but they still remain adaptable. They provide opportunities for me to give feedback and ask questions, then start working. We have a test website where they launch everything, which allows me to keep track of their progress and suggest changes. They also use a ticket management system, and they respond to feedback promptly. They usually meet our deadlines.

Their timeline estimates are very accurate, and they’ve never exceeded their hours. The previous vendor that originally developed the website billed us for more hours than they actually worked. Geeks Chicago has been very honest and accurate about their progress.

I don’t see any areas that need improvement. Things aren’t always perfect, but after being provided with feedback, the end product always ends up being exactly what we ask for. They’re able to make these changes without sacrificing the original timeline.

iOS Dev for Agricultural Manufacturing Company

"I have no intentions of migrating to another firm."

Sept. 2016 - Ongoing

Geeks Chicago created an iOS mobile app to allow users to calibrate agricultural machinery and calculate chemical use rates. The team now supports ongoing product evolution.

Hazelton, Iowa
Owner, Agricultural Manufacturer

Through Geeks Chicago’s dependable designs, the finished product now boasts 70 users with a 100% target conversion rate. They continue to complete all tasks within the established budget and timeline, ensuring an industry-leading solution.

Our company manufactures agricultural equipment and distributes related chemicals. I’m the owner.

What challenge were you trying to address with Geeks Chicago?

We were building a mobile application for calculating use rates for some of our agricultural chemicals. We had just been using an Excel spreadsheet prior to this but realized we had a pretty big gap in our product offering.

The scope of work was to design an iOS app that would be downloadable from the App Store for free. The app would do two main things. It would help users calibrate the machines that they purchase from us and get the correct settings. In addition, the app would also calculate certain use rates on particular chemicals and products that are also distributed by us. The goal was to have something that was very intuitive and downloadable for an average person who doesn’t like to do the math, giving them more confidence in the end results. We were hoping to limit some of the frustrations that come from having to do this work on paper. The most important features are that the math is right, the calculations are dependable, and the app doesn’t crash or misload the information.

We deal with a broad spectrum of technologically oriented customers. We had to build something that was intuitive enough that anyone on that spectrum could work through it and not get frustrated. Geeks Chicago did a great job with the look and feel and the progression of the screens. The timeline in getting the first version of the app after we outlined it was very fast. I had no concerns at all about getting the first draft. The timeline definitely met our needs. On our end, we weren’t the greatest client as far as getting all the information and devoting a resource to this project. My main contact at Geeks Chicago was the president, Mark. He had a broader team overseas that he was working with.

How did you come to work with Geeks Chicago?

We sent out a statement across WeWork and got a lot of responses. I live in New York City, and my partner lives in Chicago. There are a lot of companies in this marketplace where we live. The key differentiator was that Mark was willing to sit down with us face-to-face. We had something that we weren’t super comfortable explaining to people in a short telephone conversation. Mark storyboarded this concept, and I felt like he had a good balance of being able to understand people like me who don’t speak the language of technology. He was able to bridge that gap. I just got a really good impression of him, and I think that that first impression continued throughout the experience.

How much have you invested with Geeks Chicago?

We’ve spent $15,000.

We started working with them in September of 2016, and the product launched in March of 2017. The work on the product will continue to evolve.

I’m very happy with the product. We have 70 users right now. There have only been two complaints from users. The app is totally dedicated to people who have bought our systems. We have a 100% conversion rate of our target because nobody likes to do the math. The app has been perceived as very successful. The customers who didn’t have the app and now do are very happy with it. The people who never had to calculate with pen and paper are less enthusiastic. We want the app to be seen as an integrated part of our offering. The biggest financial impact for us will be when we know the math is right.

How did Geeks Chicago perform from a project management standpoint?

Mark has always been very responsive when given the opportunity to work through the information and the challenges that we may or may not have had. Converting everyday language around these topics into something that’s actionable is challenging. I’m not a technical person and couldn’t give them enough dynamic information to code some of the more challenging aspects of the project appropriately. But, they’re definitely sympathetic to that going in.

In the end, if it’s right, I don’t care how many iterations it took to get it there. We had our fair share of iterations. Most of them were because it was a hard topic to communicate if you don’t speak the appropriate language. If I was frustrated, it was because of the double checking. There were times we got wrong responses that should have been a standard response given particular inputted variables. To me, that was something that I shouldn’t have had to double check necessarily. The rubric was designed to get over that first problem-solving, error-checking step. Most of the time it was right, and sometimes it wasn’t.

What did you find most impressive about Geeks Chicago?

I haven’t used any other providers in this particular realm before. Business is business, and people are people, so on some level, I think that the highlights are that we got the job done within the timeline and budget we scope. I think that the end product is very good. We can always make it better, but for our first iteration, people are happy, and that’s really all we can ask for. I trust that Mark will do what needs to be done to make things right or put out a product that we can all be proud of, and he’ll do it in a way that’s super responsive. It doesn’t really matter when I email him, he has a good return time even after hours. He never complains about making changes. I have no intentions of migrating to another firm.

Are there any areas Geeks Chicago could improve?

I don’t know if you can ever beat this, but there’s a communication gap. Mark does his best at translating information for people who have to put it into binary code. Sometimes, those people will speak practical English for business, and sometimes they don’t, so it’s really hard to bridge that gap. But, I think it’s more an industry issue than anything else. Mark did his best to bridge the gap, and his team on the other side did their best to try to give the information.

Overall Score I enjoyed working with them.
    I would take responsibility for any time we missed a deadline.
    They’re more expensive on some fronts than other providers. In the end, we feel like the extra money was worth the interaction, communication, and time they devoted. It was great value for the money.
    The quality of the end product speaks for itself. Timelines were also fluid, but if I said that something had to be out by a certain date, they made sure that it was. Mark took personal responsibility for that.
    I would refer them to a friend but not a competitor.

Web Design & Development for Global Marketing Company

"I would say that Geeks Chicago knows how to adapt very well when approached with new challenges."

With the goal of having a successful launch and presentation at a national conference, the client hired Geeks Chicago to produce a responsive website for the automation team.

Chicago Metro Area
John Ryan
Digital Creative Director, Epsilon

Geeks Chicago succeeded as the client’s partner. The agency helped the client achieve their goal by launching an effective website that received great feedback at the conference. Geeks Chicago are praised for their exceptional performance.

Epsilon is a global marketing and data company that creates connections between customers and brands. We use groundbreaking technologies to transform rich data into engaging and creative relationships.

What is your role at the company?

I am the digital creative director.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Geeks Chicago?

We needed to produce a responsive website for Epsilon's automotive team.

What were your company's business goals for the project?

We needed to have a successful launch and presentation at the National Automotive Dealers Association conference.

The scope was a good size, and the turnaround time was extremely quick. Geeks Chicago was on top of all the corrections and quickly addressed any changes.

How did you come to work with Geeks Chicago?

I worked with Mark [Tuchscherer, cofounder of Geeks Chicago] before and needed to know that I could rely on the company I selected, since the site was a huge linchpin in Epsilon's automotive presentation.

It was $30,000.

When was the project completed?

It ended March 2016.

Our website was successfully launched and very well received at the NADA conference.

How did Geeks Chicago perform?

They performed exceptionally.

What distinguishes Geeks Chicago from other providers?

In hindsight, are there areas in which they could improve or things you might do differently?

No. Nothing to do with Geeks Chicago. Internally, my company could have improved in some areas.

Web Design for STEAM Education Program

"We realized that the delivery time was short, and we were impressed with Geeks Chicago's reaction speed."

Feb. - Mar. 2016

Geeks Chicago developed the website with a quick turnaround time and implemented it with e-commerce capabilities where customers can enroll and pay on the spot.

Gil Levendel
Co-Founder/Chief Hacking Officer, TinkRworks

Geeks Chicago's output was satisfactory although there was no specific metrics provided. The team was upfront about design possibilities, and responsive in implementing the client's dynamic needs. They continue to update site functionality.

TinkRworks is creating the next generation of innovators and problem-solvers by delivering exceptional STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics) experiences to children. Through hands-on summer camps and after-school programs, we go beyond school learning and give young TinkRers space to explore real-world problems with cutting-edge tools and technologies.

I am a cofounder of the company. I'm in charge of software tasks, so my title is chief hacking officer.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Geeks Chicago?

We started our company at the beginning of 2016. We knew that we needed a web presence and were looking for someone that could develop a website for us in a short amount of time. We wanted to go live by the beginning of March, so our time constraints were tough. We needed to be able to develop a website quickly while keeping it top-notch.

Geeks Chicago developed our website. We're now in the middle of marketing our summer camps. Customers need the ability to enroll through our website and pay for a spot. The website requires e-commerce capabilities, which Geeks Chicago implemented as well.

How did you come to work with Geeks Chicago?

I researched web developers and found some good reviews for Geeks Chicago as well as some other companies. We established a conversation with about three agencies. I talked to Geeks Chicago's owner at the beginning of February. He understood the level of urgency we were faced with as well as what our goal was. He walked me through their work methods, and I left the discussion feeling good about their company. The conversation included a lot of back and forth, which I didn't experience with some of the other companies to the same extent.

The total development cost was around $5,500.

We started the work at the beginning of February 2016. The first delivery occurred on March 10, 2016. We've had subsequent updates in functionality about a week ago [late March 2016].

We're extremely satisfied with the outcome, but we haven't tracked any metrics for the website.

How did Geeks Chicago perform from a project management standpoint?

We realized that the delivery time was short, and we were impressed with Geeks Chicago's reaction speed. They were able to take my feedback and iterate on it very quickly, something I have not seen from any other vendor that I’ve worked with. We asked them for behavior and design changes, which were implemented quickly. The other part that stood out in our relationship was that, because our schedule was short, there were tradeoffs that we had to make. We wanted the perfect website but, in reality, we had a month in which to do it. Geeks Chicago told us that, if we wanted to get it done, we'd have to make elements A, B, and C, leaving out D. Their real-time feedback prioritization of project management was very good. We didn't have time to beat around the bush, so all our conversations were direct. This didn't disrupt our relationship in the least.

Is there anything Geeks Chicago could have improved or done differently?

I had never worked on a web development project before, and thus I had many questions about the work. The customization level of the website once the work finished was a big concern to me. I kept asking those questions, and Geeks Chicago was patient in answering them, but some of that communication could have been a little better in making me fully understand what was and wasn't possible. I attribute this to the pace of our project. Had we taken our full time, that communication and understanding would have been better.

Web Development for Décor Store

"I have really enjoyed working with them [Geeks Chicago] because they're always on top of the work."

Mar. 2015 - Ongoing

Based on a trusted recommendation, the client hired Geeks Chicago to build their website using WordPress and WooCommerce.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Julie Garman
Owner, The Necessary Things

Geeks Chicago pleased the client by successfully taking their ideas and creating an effective website with them. The agency is praised for their patience and responsiveness. There was no criticism for Geeks Chicago and the agency is recommended to others.

Necessary Things is an online source of home decor products located in New York and Redding, Pennsylvania.

I am the owner.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Geeks Chicago?

I needed help in developing my website.

Geeks Chicago built my website using Wordpress and WooCommerce.

How did you come to work with Geeks Chicago?

They came recommended by an acquaintance who used them for her own e-commerce website.

The development cost for my website has been between $8,000 and $10,000.

We started working together in March of 2015. The website hasn't been launched yet because I'm still developing my product line. I'm planning to launch it soon.

I'm a designer, so I tend to look at things from a creative viewpoint. Geeks Chicago took my ideas and turned them into what a functioning website needs to be.

How did Geeks Chicago perform from a project management standpoint?

I have really enjoyed working with them because they're always on top of the work. Geeks Chicago was very responsive and helpful with the changes I wanted to make. They've been patient and gave me a lot of options. The people in their company are experts in their field and have guided me to make better decisions.

They're nice to work with and they’re always on top of everything. Whenever I needed to contact their team, they arranged an appointment for the next day.

What distinguishes Geeks Chicago from other providers?

Because they're a smaller company, they're easy to work with overall. I've appreciated working with them, from Mark Tuchscherer, their owner, to their wireframe designer, to everyone else. Everyone paid attention to my project, not making me feel that I'd gotten overlooked, even though my project was probably considerably smaller than other people's.

Is there anything Geeks Chicago could have improved or done differently?

Not really. I'm very happy with what they've done. Anything I wasn't happy with in terms of design was immediately changed. We had a collaborative process. I never expected to receive a perfect product from the beginning.

They gave me a very good quality product for a good price, especially when compared to the cost of New York firms.
    I already have.

Web Development for Digital Agency

"Geeks Chicago performed well. ... They were efficient and responsive."

Geeks Chicago partnered with the client for multiple projects of a similar scope, usually including the development of websites.

St. Louis Metro Area
Rebecca Rutherford
Director of Digital Group, Ungerboeck Software International

Geeks Chicago consistently delivered high quality websites within the specified timeframe. The client noted that a standard template may be an efficient means for the agency to gather information, but praised their work and recommends them to others.

Please give a brief description of your company.

We are a digital agency within a larger event management software company.

What is your role at the company?

I am the director of the digital group.

What was the business challenge that you were trying to address when you approached Geeks Chicago?

We needed to have a company help us with some of our development work. Essentially, we hired them to get website built and delivered for our clients.

Can you talk about the scope of the project?

We've had multiple projects similar in scope. They develop a lot of websites for venues. We usually need these projects done very quickly.

What was your process for selecting Geeks Chicago?

Our VP of marketing located Geeks and instructed us to use them.

Can you give a sense of the size of the project?

It was around $10,000 for each website developed.

What were the results of the project?

The sites launched on time. Geeks Chicago performed well. We had some occasional issues with code, but they were always addressed quickly.

When working with them, was there anything unique about Geeks Chicago?

They were efficient and responsive.

Looking back on the project, is there any area that they could improve on?

It would be helpful to have standard templates or questionnaires from Geeks to make sure we give them all of the information they need to do the work up front.

What advice would you give to a future client of theirs?

Have all of your documentation and designs ready to go right when you want the project to start.

Web Development for Home Goods Store

"They [Geeks Chicago] go above and beyond, and I think they are very good at what they do."

2011 - Ongoing

The client hired Geeks Chicago to handle the technical responsibilities of their website which involves aesthetic changes and problem solving.

New York Metro Area
Stephanie Housley
Owner, Coral & Tusk LLC

Geeks Chicago consistently performs well for the client in a variety of areas. The agency is willing to learn when they aren’t already versed in a certain discipline. The client praises Geeks Chicago for their excellent work.

Please describe your company.

We do embroidered home goods, and we're based in Brooklyn, New York. Our website is the way that we do all of our online sales. We have a small studio that people can come into and shop, but it's mostly online, which is how we worked with the Geeks.

What is your role in the company?

I'm the owner.

What was your goal in working with Geeks Chicago?

We use Geeks Chicago to manage all the technical aspects of our website. I have an in-house designer, so we don't do any design work through them.

We really lay out all the aesthetic changes, which they then implement. When we come to a problem that we don't know how to solve, we interface with them to look for a solution. At the outset, we really came to them just to place our Photoshop files. We'd tell them where we wanted them to go and how we wanted the pages to function.

What was your process in selecting Geeks Chicago?

My husband found them on Elance. Then, he got in touch with them, and he was impressed with the work that they were doing. I had been putting together the programming and the coding with somebody that I knew, but he really had no experience. We were ready to take things up a notch on our side, so I was thrilled to meet the Geeks. They were great. I really worked almost exclusively with just one of their people, whom I am fond of. I deeply appreciate his skill set and his communication. The very few times we have had problems, he's made himself available in a very personal way. It was easy to voice concerns, knowing that I would get a very positive response.

Can you give a sense of the cost of their work?

We initially just did a prepaid package of $14,000, and I think we already have spent a similar amount this year. I think we did about $40,000 with them last year, and we'll do more this year.

When was their work completed?

I believe we started working with them in 2011, and the work is ongoing.

What were the results of their work?

Overall, I'm really happy with the work that they do. I'm a real communicator, so I like to touch base and talk on the phone with them. I'm not a technical person at all, and they've been very patient in explaining things and making things easy to understand.

I've come to them with a large variety of things to work on. Geeks Chicago was not very experienced in working on an e-commerce retail site. They had a lot to learn, and Geeks Chicago was willing to learn with me instead of just saying they don't know how to do something. They were willing to do the needed research on their side to make the changes successfully.

With their recent growth, sometimes there's a little bit of a time lapse in communication. However, if there's ever anything like an emergency, they're right on point. They're totally accessible and easy to reach, which is great.

Is there anything unique or special about Geeks Chicago that really makes them stand out?

I really appreciate the work they do. They go above and beyond, and I think they are very good at what they do. I think that they're very well priced for the work that we get. The fact that I can get somebody on the phone that does understand and is really a key person – that says a lot. Overall, I really don't have any complaints at all.

They now have a new project manager with whom we work. She helps put the tickets in and then follows up. At first, I felt like that was helpful. My employees work with her more than I do, and their feedback was that at first she was very communicative and great to work with. However, they now don't feel like she's quite as organized or clear on projects as she could be, and things are generally taking longer. So, a concern I have is that we began working with them when they were just getting started, when they were much smaller than they are now. Our access to them on a personal level was much easier then.

They built a wholesale app from scratch for us, and we were having some problems with it. They decided to take it on themselves to try to figure out how to route it through our retail site. I was not totally in the loop on this, and then maybe a month later, I was a little confused about what we were doing. I had a call with them, and they acknowledged that there was poor communication on their end in terms of initiating a project of that scope that I actually never requested. They were great, and they credited the work hours back. I respected the fact that they took responsibility for something like that, which was encouraging. Of course, I felt bad about it, too, because I don't want them to lose money, but it did seem like the right thing to do. I'm super happy with them. I really appreciate the work they do.

What advice would you give a future client of theirs?

My advice would just be make sure you really spell out exactly what you want to have happen because they're probably not going to be able to read your mind and figure it out on their own.

Some projects go on a long time, requiring a lot of follow up on our part. It seems like they're just not able to get around to it. In general, their work is great, but sometimes it takes rather long.
    They raised their prices recently, and I have a feeling another one's coming down.
    At the end of the day, I'm happy with their work, but it's going to take a little while to get to a five. I'll get there eventually. It just might take some back and forth.
    No question.

Custom Development for Electronic Signature Tool

"Geeks Chicago performed great. ... I would not consider any group I have worked with other than them."

2014 - Ongoing

With the goal of completely replacing the functions provided by a third-party API, the client hired Geeks Chicago to manage a large development project coded in Java.

USA
CEO, Electronic Signature Tool

Geeks Chicago is a valuable partner for the client and is competent in a wide variety of areas. The agency has made significant contributions to the project. The client praises Geeks Chicago for their excellent communication skills.

Please give a brief description of your company.

Our company produces electronic signature software for business.

I am the CEO.

We were developing the Web application part of our solution, replacing a system that we were simply using as an API [application programming interface] partner.

What were your company's business goals for the project?

We wanted to totally replace the functions that the third-party API was providing for us.

Can you talk about the scope of the project?

This is a large development project mainly coded in Java. We are in the process of moving more than 3,000 users to this new code. It has many moving parts and features.

What was your process for selecting Geeks Chicago?

I had a previous working relationship with one of the principals and found him to be a gifted developer and very easy to work with.

Can you give a sense of the size of the initiative?

The project is ongoing at a total rate of development talent of about $10,000 per month.

When was the project completed?

[It is] ongoing and is likely to continue. We have reached several milestones beginning a year ago [2014].

Do you have any statistics or metrics on the project?

Our results have been great. We have a replacement for the platform we were using previously, and it is all our own code. It took about a year to get to this point.

How did Geeks Chicago perform?

Geeks Chicago performed great. They were able to tackle any technical issue that came up – there were quite a few – and the project expanded beyond its original scope. I have received daily feedback and their team functions almost like an in-house development team would. They interact with me and other internal IT [information technology] employees daily. They are available at all times in case something comes up. I have been very pleased with their responsiveness and their approach to challenges that we have met. I would not consider any group I have worked with other than them.

They are much easier to communicate my ideas with.

Looking back on the project, is there any area that they could improve or you would do differently?

What advice would you give to a future client of theirs?

As much future planning as can be done, do it. We went fast at the beginning, and I would like to have given them more of a road map.