A mobile future for startups and leading brands.

Futurist Labs is a mobile and web IT development partner. We have a select number of clients that we build a long term relationship with. As futurists we love working on projects that push the envelope of technology and amaze people about the world they live in. We offer start-up as a service, project based relationships, digital consulting, and teams of dedicated developers.

Every business has a beginning, and ours started with a love of mobile development. Mobile devices are the digital Swiss army knife of our time. The tools, businesses and innovation created from them make life quite magical. We love bringing a project from zero to MVP.

• Futurist Labs Sofia 1797
    Bulgaria
    +359 876606513

L'Oreal, Founder Institute, CODE Hospitality, RunBuk, PopBoardz, Inko, ScoutingZone, Appzio, DealHub, PeerMountain, Stringr, and other start-ups.

Tabex: Ex-smoker

Gamification app for quitting smoking pharmaceutical.

PopBoardz

Non linear visual presentation tool.

RunBuk

Marathon participation app with travel agency services.

Mentalist Escape Room

Escape room tablet companion. Use the app while in the room to get hints and chat with the game master.

L'Oreal Smart Sun

Sun exposure app that photographs the users skin and give recommendations.

Inko

Bringing tattoo lovers and tattoo artists together. Helps artists get business and clients find the artist they want.

HireSkout

HR recruitment platform that uses personality triggers to assess potential hires.

getti

Loyalty program in shopping malls

L'Oreal Anti-age Booster

Location based UV protection recommendations from l'Oreal Paris.

ScoutingZone

California based startup for university scouts to find high school soccer talent.

Automated Real Estate Transaction SaaS

The team always responds promptly despite a seven-hour time zone difference, even outside working hours.”

Jan. 2015 - Ongoing

Futurist Labs initially built the prototype for real estate transaction program to attract potential investors. Subsequently, they delivered a final product to connect buyers and sellers with live updates.

Atlanta,GA
Adam Parker
Founder, Harris Parker Limited

Combining disparate services in the US property sales, the final deliverable is a fully functional streamlined system. It automates transactions specifically tailored to the domestic market. Futurist Labs worked well outside the scope of their responsibility to provide comprehensive transparency.

I’m a founder of a SAAS company in the real estate space. Our program automates transactions in real time from start to finish. It connects to each involved party and updates each live event within the transaction as it occurs.

Our affiliate accelerator/incubator in California recommended using Futurist Labs.

Our engagement has required Futurist Labs to rapidly gain a comprehensive understanding of U.S. real estate transactions. Thankfully, they’re a team of quick learners. We’ve had problems with other programmers who couldn’t grasp these critical concepts.

Futurist Labs dedicates 3-5 resources to our project at any given time. The team collaborates with two of our internal employees.

Futurist Labs immediately relays critical updates promptly and consistently to keep everyone in the loop. The program isn’t finished yet, but they keep us abreast of each new development as it occurs.

We mainly communicate via Slack. Our project manager Mark (CEO, Futurist Labs) understands every aspect of our business and is easy to communicate with. He’s extremely responsive and is a reliable liaison to the development team. An easy partner to work with, he accurately conveys all our instructions to the programmers.

The team always promptly responds to us despite a seven-hour time zone difference, even outside working hours. In multiple instances, they’ve worked during their own vacations. We receive consistent status updates along the way. We really appreciate Futurist Labs transparency, which preempts duplicating any work.

I can’t think of any notable areas for improvement. We have a great partner in Futurist Labs!

We mainly communicate via Slack. Our project manager understands every aspect of our business and is easy to communicate with. He’s extremely responsive and is a reliable liaison to the development team. An easy partner to work with, he accurately conveys all our instructions to the programmers.

Overall Score Futurist Labs is top notch!
    They offered flexible scheduling, especially considering the huge time zone difference.
    They’ve stuck to the quoted budget for every project.
    Their deliverables have a great functionality and flow.
    GREAT JOB GUYS!

Mobile Ticket Scanning App for Computer Software Company

"I was impressed by the quick turnaround, their deep knowledge of the technology, and the reasonable cost."

Apr. - July 2015

Futurist Labs developed the mobile version of a ticket scanning system. Required to be simple, user-friendly, and compatible with both iOS and Android platforms, the app features a camera-based scan engine.

Tyler Mullins
President, MarchingOrder

Confident and engaged, Futurist Labs worked quickly and efficiently to deliver a flexible, easy-to-use app that has generated consistently increasing sales. The team operated well autonomously, implementing thoughtful, forward-thinking designs and solutions and completing all necessary updates.

I am the president of a small software company based in San Francisco that serves the higher education market. We specialize in on-campus events such as commencement ceremonies, offering tools to help schools plan and execute these events seamlessly while enhancing the experience for participants and guests.

For what projects/services did your company hire Futurist Labs?

We needed a mobile application to scan and validate guest's website-generated event tickets at the door. We had previously been using a web-only scan method, but our clients needed the flexibility and portability of handheld devices.

Our goal was to develop a downloadable ticket validation scanning app that was user-friendly and required little training, since most of the users would have no exposure to it prior to the event.

Futurist Labs was recommended to my by a mutual acquaintance. In an initial call, Mark (CEO, Futurist Labs) demonstrated a quick and thorough understanding of our project’s needs and was confident they could deliver it on time and within budget. His team provided the framework along with impressive, accurate specifications that were easy to approve. It was a great decision!

Within days of awarding them the project, we received mockups of the graphics and interface as well as a plan incorporating a camera-based scan engine. The first iteration of the iOS version was completed a week later. A few rounds of testing resulted in some tweaks and improvements, all of which were handled very quickly and gracefully by Futurist. Once the details were finalized in iOS, they ported everything over to the Android version. Futurist has completed all updates required in the three years since launching the original product, and they always do exactly what we need them to. They have a very solid understanding of the issues we encounter, routinely presenting a robust, long-term solution instead of just a temporary fix.

Mark is our primary contact with a development team that reports directly to him. I'm unsure of how their internal load is balanced, but all questions from the developers indicate that they are skilled and informed on the project specifics.

Our clients love the app. It is flexible and easy to use, but also boasts several forward-thinking features to meet any potential issues. Because it requires no specialized equipment to scan tickets at the door, sales of the ticket product have increased dramatically every academic semester.

The workflow was easy and effective. Mark was very responsive by email and open to calls whenever necessary. Once they had a solid grasp on the project, they handled all of the details and had us establish the proper server endpoints for transferring data back and forth. They would ask us poignant questions as needed, but didn't bombard us for details that they could resolve on their own.

I was impressed by the quick turnaround, their deep knowledge of the technology, and the reasonable cost. They also implemented thoughtful design decisions for both the user-facing features and the system architecture. I highly recommend them to anyone I encounter who needs app development services.

Nothing comes to mind.

Overall Score These guys rock.
    They consistently delivered products before the deadline.
    Their price was very reasonable.
    Great work! Their quality exceeded expectations.
    If you're looking for an app developer, stop the hunt now—this is the one.

App Development for Distribution Company

"They are great at openly communicating and being transparent."

Jan. - Apr. 2018

Futurist Labs developed a wireframe and designed the UX/IU of an iOS app that was recently launched.

CEO, Distribution Company

The team was openly honest and easy to work with. They worked very closely on the specific needs of the app and its functions. The final product was high-quality and monitored closely to ensure it was error-free.

I am the CEO of a cosmetic product import and distribution company.

For what projects/services did your company hire Futurist Labs?

We hired Futurist Labs to build an that app brings beauty professionals to the home for on-demand services.

I required a mobile app for customers to book orders, manage payments, and rate beauty professionals.

Futurist Labs have worked with us in the past. They previously designed and developed three websites and an e-commerce shop for us. They have built trust with us over the years and we appreciate their work.

They discussed the requirements and functions of the app with us. They built a wireframe, estimated the project's scope, and created designs. They programmed the app and managed the project.

We worked with the CEO, CTO, project manager, and frontend and backend iOS/Android developers.

The app is launching now and we are very pleased with the final product. Futurist Labs are on standby to help with any technical issues and have been an ideal tech partner.

We collaborate efficiently on this project. They are great at openly communicating and being transparent.They updated us with progress every two weeks and we were in constant contact with their project manager.

Futurist Labs always finds a solution for our projects. They are creative in their plans to achieve our business goals. They have connected with our business thoroughly and understand its needs.

They have very little to improve and are worth every penny.

Amazon Alexa Skills Dev for Internet Solutions Company

“They’re my choice for a trusted partner when it comes to development and managing projects.”

Sept. 2017 - Ongoing

Futurist Labs created an MVP with an administrative panel and also utilized Javascript to assist with backend development.

Bulgaria
Owner, Internet Solutions Company

An efficient development process and accurate delivery made for an overall positive partnership. Futurist Labs located suitable resources quickly and never engaged in unnecessary communication, all while retaining an honest and respective atmosphere. Their flexibility and cooperability were notable.

I’m the owner of a company focused on Internet solutions and services. Our current project revolves around Amazon Alexa skills.

What challenge were you trying to address with Futurist Labs?

We asked them to help develop a backend system and administrative panel.

This is the first version of the software, and although it’s an MVP [minimum viable product], it still needed to meet certain criteria. It was important that the project be flexible so that if I decided to change something, it wouldn’t take five more weeks of development.

There is an administrative panel instead of having to go through different developer portals in Amazon. Mostly everything is in one place so that external people or non-developers can work with it. The interface makes it easy to use.

They also used Javascript to assist with backend development.

Their team is growing. At the moment, they have 10–13 people. We communicate with Mark [CEO, Futurist Labs] regarding high-level requirements, but we discuss things on a deeper level with Stefan [CTO, Futurist Labs]. He specifies whether something will work, how long it will take, and the cost of development. He monitors everything, but I have a dedicated developer who works closely with me on my project. Once everything is cleared on what he needs to do and how to do it, he starts working on it.

How did you come to work with Futurist Labs?

I met them through a startup accelerator, Founder Institute, which I attended to learn how to start companies. Mark was one of the mentors, and we kept in touch afterward. When I graduated, he was really supportive in providing working space, etc. I knew other developers when I started this project but the trust he had put in me made me choose his company. I could see how they work and what their values were, which aligned with mine. I decided to trust them with my project, and they completed it quickly with good quality.

We spent $10,000.

We started working together in September 2017, and the project is basically complete. We’re now conducting final testing and providing feedback.

Everything went as planned. I got exactly what I requested, so I’m very happy. They managed to find a developer with the exact skills I was looking for. They were honest in the beginning and informed me that they didn’t have the right person for the project, but found him in a few weeks. The project took 22 days once he started working on it.

How did Futurist Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

Everything was extremely fast and we had no unnecessary communication. We had a few Skype calls to determine final requirements. I also reviewed the work at various points throughout and visited their office. Everything was going according to plan, so they continued. We kept in touch through email and other communication tools.

They are very honest and respectful with their clients and themselves. There were a lot of clauses within the contract which protected the client and takes care of things that may not be thought about, like giving back the licence and data.

They’re very flexible and quick. For example, I’m working in another place during the day, so I have limited time to test. I did testing on a Sunday, and I had to write an email to them because I couldn’t access one of the elements. I immediately received feedback and a new password from them.

They don't just develop, but strive to learn and progress, get better all the time. It’s not a static job because they do more and take time to learn.

I can’t think of anything. I got exactly what I asked for and everything went according to plan.

It’s important to accurately identify what is being asked of them, because they deliver quickly.

Overall Score I’m super happy. They’re my choice for a trusted partner when it comes to development and managing projects.

App Dev for College Social Network

"I’m always confident in what they do."

June 2015 - Ongoing

Working from wireframes, Futurist built a native Android location and networking app. It uses GPS and Wi-Fi triangulation and geofencing. They are currently testing it and will soon incorporate data collection.

California
CEO, Social Network App

They’re tackling triangulation bugs to launch a solid app. Their dev skills inspire confidence and they’re excellent communicators. They resolve questions quickly and eagerly make any necessary adjustments. Their flexibility and responsiveness make them a great fit for startups.

I’m the CEO and founder of a social networking app.

What challenge were you trying to address with Futurist Labs?

I needed a developer for my app.

A previous developer had done a couple months of work on the location portion of the app. Futurist Labs had to scrap all of that and start over. They did all of the development from the first line of code. I provided design work, wireframes and hard assets and they built the app. They developed it as a native app for just Android currently.

The app is for college campuses where students have on campus Wi-Fi all the time. The geofencing uses GPS and Wi-Fi triangulation, and Futurist got that to work. In addition, they’re starting on a data collection soon.

There’s one main guy, but there may be another team member.

How did you come to work with Futurist Labs?

I'm connected to an organization in California that helps military veterans finance startups. One of their guys has a cousin who’s with Futurist, and they introduced me to them.

Over $25,000.

We started working together in June 2015 and the work is ongoing.

We haven’t launched the app yet. We’ve been doing a lot of testing using 4 phones. Testing went great when the phones were side-by-side, so I thought everything was good to go. When we spread the phones out, though, we found a lot of bugs. Now they’re working on that. Besides that, everything was good.

How did Futurist Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

I just got a new project manager recently. I didn’t have a problem with the last project manager, but I like the new one a lot. He communicates often and very well, and he answers questions quickly.

I know their timetable. When I’m going to bed, they’re going to work. I know how to make it work and resolve things quickly. We communicate through email and used to have frequent Skype calls. Now that things are moving along faster, those calls happen on a more occasional basis. We use Trello for task management.

They’re great communicators. They talk to me all the time and whenever I reach out, they always answer back. I’ve never sent them an email without hearing back from them. If they don’t have an answer, they acknowledge my email and find an answer.

One time they sent me an email, but I didn’t understand what they were trying to say, and I let them know. The owner immediately explained what they meant. That was great.

I’m always confident in what they do. They’ve been very flexible with me, including with invoice payment.

We haven’t completely figured out our flow with Trello. Occasionally they’ll do a different task than I intended them to start on and I’ll tell them the other one was higher priority. I had to clarify the task priorities again, and they adjusted. That situation was infrequent, and it was a communication issue on my part. It’s easy to think everyone knows what I know when in fact they don’t.

They’re great, keep working with them. They do good work and communicate very well. They put customers at ease, especially 1-2-person operations that are funding their own projects. They’re very flexible, they work with you, and they show progress all the time.

Most definitely.

Dev Development for Presentation Platform

"I can ask them to play with certain tasks, and give them the freedom to make mistakes."

May 2015 - Ongoing

Using a combination of Lambda, EC2, and Amazon Web Services, Futurist Labs built a system that could migrate complex presentation data onto a web page via the cloud.

Peter Stougaard
CEO, PopBoardz

Many of the core functionalities developed by Futurist Labs became integral parts of the software and built a dedicated, dependable user base. The agency clearly explained tasks, brainstormed potential issues, and suggested innovative solutions. Their affordable pricing also enabled flexibility.

I am the CEO of Popboardz, a non-linear presentation system, unlike PowerPoint, Keynote or other options. I’ve never been in a linear meeting in my life, so I don’t like those systems. My app allows users to put content in various tiles, and access them instantly, the moment they’re needed during the conversation. We’re the perfect wing man for any discussion. We’ve been featured three times in the Apple App Store banner, and have a couple of thousand downloads. We have actively pushed ourselves to the next level.

What challenge were you trying to address with Futurist Labs?

My lead programmer had to take on other things, so I needed to staff up and meet the needs of the platform. Beyond being a website or a simple application, Popboardz is a cross-platform solution running on Mac OS, iOS and the web. What is simple on the frontend is deceptively complex on the backend, so we’ve needed a lot of work.

Futurist Labs has worked on our platform. The online aspect of the solution is new to us. We are working with Amazon Web Services, Lambda, and EC2. Whatever is created on the native apps—be they iOS or Mac OS—needs to not only be stored on our cloud, but have website version of the presentation created, as it’s being uploaded. Our clients love this, since it means they can share complicated boards with clients instantly, without requiring our software; they can provide a URL on which the content will behave just like it does on the native apps, only in a read-only format. This sounds simple, but it requires tearing each board apart and making it web-friendly.

We have four dedicated developers and a CTO from their side. I’ve worked directly with Mark Rogers, their CEO. We’ve used Trello quite a bit, since it had been in place with the single developer who preceded their team. We have considered using JIRA as well, but it was too complex for our needs.

How did you come to work with Futurist Labs?

I met Mark Rogers back when we were both working for 20th Century Fox. He ended up moving to Bulgaria and starting a company, which was a perfect fit. I’ve told people that he speaks English and “Hollywood”, which works for me.

The cost of their work has been around $100,000.

We started working with Futurist Labs in May 2015, and have an ongoing relationship. During the last 6 months, 50% of their team’s time has been dedicated to our product.

We’ve been working together for almost a year, and Mark’s team has been excellent. All the services we’ve developed with them have been for the subscription-based version of the platform. The product has been free up to this point, and we’ve been trying to build a user base.

Having over 200,000 downloads worldwide is fantastic, but we’re really making sure that the 100 people we’ve been working with directly love the product so that they can become sales ambassadors for us. It’s hard to provide exact metrics since we’ve gone underground while developing the subscription product version. The development we’ve done differentiates us from the free service, so we won’t have the typical freemium problem of users not seeing the need to go pro. We’ve drawn a clear line of demarcation, have learned what our users want, and have developed to that. Users have been using the pro features that Futurist helped to develop, and they can’t live without them.

How did Futurist Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

Development is a matter of “fix one thing, break two”, but this is true for anyone. We have a fluid process and are direct with each other. With them being in Bulgaria and us being in Los Angeles, we have a small window for daily communication. I often speak to them early in the morning.

The communication has been great, and I’ve appreciated their ability to provide answers and explain why something can turn into a challenge. Futurist Labs isn’t simply taking my to-do list and running it without any questioning.

They’re the first team of people I’ve worked with, and I’d only used single developers in the past. The dynamic I like about having a team has to do with group-think. They’re all sitting around in a room in Bulgaria, and can talk to each other about different problems. The cumulative experience and freedom to speak back-and-forth directly gives me an exponential level of thinking.

Getting senior people for a reasonable fee has allowed me to experiment, which is what I really like. Some places require us to be specific about what we’re trying to get done. With Futurist Labs having such a great value, I can ask them to play with certain tasks, and give them the freedom to make mistakes. This is hard to find in the world of development.

They have lots of clients, which I’m sure they’re trying to pare down into a handful of great clients. Futurist Labs can be stretched at times because of the number of ongoing projects, but I can understand how a company like this needs to work. They could bring in more people, but that wouldn’t necessarily equate to getting more stuff done. It’s a matter of casting the right people for the right things, and Mark has been cognizant of this, pulling in the right resources, rather than trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

We try to make the deadlines we can and discuss things, but challenging items can push things at times.
    The multiple I would have to pay in order to do the work in Los Angeles makes Futurist Labs a great value.
    I am reluctant to do it, since it takes resources away from me, but I have referred them a couple of times.

Ongoing Partnership with Global Startup Accelerator

“They possess a deep understanding of software development, business practices, and market dynamics.”

Jan. 2015 - Ongoing

Futurist Labs is the go-to development partner of an early-stage business incubator. Their team has built dozens of software and mobile apps for startups around the world.

Palo Alto, California
Ryan Micheletti
Director of Global Operations, Founder Institute

Futurist Labs’ technical expertise and business acumen have led to a productive long-term collaboration. Their portfolio and communication skills are outstanding.

I am the director of global operations for the world's largest early-stage startup accelerator. Since 2009, we have created over 2,700 startup companies in 170 cities as well as a network of 9,000 mentors.

For what projects/services did your company hire Futurist Labs?

Futurist Labs is one of our preferred development partners.

Our goal is to help our graduates connect with a reputable firm that builds good software products at a reasonable price.

Futurist Labs was referred to the Founder Institute by one of our partners. They came with great accolades and their management team was very responsive.

They have helped build software and mobile applications for over a dozen of our portfolio companies.

The workflow is easy because everyone speaks perfect English.

We have really enjoyed working with Futurist Labs, especially because of their superior management team. They possess a deep understanding of software development, business practices, and market dynamics.

Web and App Updates for Customer Loyalty Firm

"[They] took the time to understand what [we were] all about."

Feb. - Dec. 2016

Futurist updated an extant website and suite of apps to accommodate expansion into new markets, incorporating existing data and building in support for several new languages.

Nick Saunders
CEO/Founder, Getlokal

A desire to learn more about the customer and the quality of deliverables stand out. Like most evolving teams (especially offshored one), there are occasional delays, but over the long term, the high value-for-money ratio is likely to outweigh most hiccups.

I was the CEO/Founder of Getlokal, a platform providing loyalty services to businesses and consumers. I was part of Start-Up Chile and helped develop and launch Getlokal in Latin American markets.

For what reason(s) did your company hire Futurist Labs?

Originally, Getlokal was a review site/app and we pivoted into loyalty. I needed to convert their existing mobile apps and build a new website for Chile that was based on existing databases.

We needed to launch successfully in Chile and begin consumer and business acquisition as soon as possible.

I wanted a developer who could handle both the website and mobile apps seamlessly. I received proposals from several local vendors here in Sofia and selected Futurist Labs based on their expertise and past experience.

We had an extensive initial project briefing that covered the history of Getlokal, the existing infrastructure (i.e., a site and apps in five languages, databases, etc.), and what I wanted to achieve in the time available.

The project manager was my direct point of contact, managed the individual developers, and did some of the coding work.

They built a new website, complete with access to existing data, within a couple of months. They updated and converted the apps to match our new focus, then launched them—all within three months. We were then able to start consumer and business acquisition immediately.

It went very well—especially given the time difference between us and the fact that I was working on my own in Chile with no one in Sofia to act for me and liaise in person with Futurist Labs. As a result, once I left for Chile, all future interactions were via phone calls and email.

I was pleasantly surprised by the level of understanding and input from the project manager. He took the time to understand what Getlokal was all about from a commercial perspective and made many constructive suggestions leading to improvements in the apps.

If they had double the number of coders, we could have slightly reduced the time taken to deliver the initial work and manage the ongoing project. In hindsight, I could've provided a better initial specification since we lost a bit of time scoping the project, which also was not helped by the fact that I engaged them only a week before I left for Chile.

They offered the best value of all the dev agencies I contacted.