We design and develop custom software solutions.

FullStack Labs is a leading software consultancy with offices in California, Washington DC, and Colombia. We design and develop custom software solutions for top startups and Fortune 500 companies.

Granite Bay, CA
    9719 Village Center Drive Suite 100
    Granite Bay, CA 95746
    2221 South Clark Street, 12th Floor
    Arlington, VA 22202
    Cra 57 no 99A - 65
    Barranquilla, ATL
    Colombia

Uber, Siemens, Ekso, IMON, Cytek.

Leading summer camp management SAAS company.

Largest "clean air" non-profit in CA.

Leading startup in the home services space.

Web App Dev for Online Continuing Education & Training Company

“They are spectacular in efficiently crafting the agile development plan.”

Jan. 2017 - Ongoing

Using React for the frontend and Angular and JavaScript for the backend, FullStack Labs is modernizing the software design and coding and building applications for an existing learning management system.

Director of Research and Development, Online Education Company

FullStack’s knowledgeable team is skillfully and effectively developing the needed technology updates. They’re helpful in guiding decision-making, and their strong interpretation and communication abilities help them to deliver the desired results. Their quality work is inspiring future projects.

I’m the owner operator of a continuing education and training provider for healthcare and cosmetology professionals.

What challenge were you trying to address with FullStack Labs?

We’ve been seeking improvements for a long time. There are a lot of costs associated with any type of upgrade, whether it be vendor provided or an internally based service. We decided to look for outside help with our web app development.

We developed a learning management system that has a customer retention management system attached to the backend. We’ve held the intellectual property for over 30 years for this custom software and app. They helped us bring it out of the stone age in design and coding. We have one of the first dynamic databases which reigns in our market space. It was designed for specific use cases by our executive director. FullStack Labs is tasked with assisting us in steering into the best practices of that design with today’s best practices and coding.

We chose React as a frontend. The backend uses Angular and JavaScript. We use Postgres like any dynamic database system would. We’re also stringing up a few development stacks that they’re heading using Beanstalks. We’re using a series of proprietary deployment stacks for cloud-based service providers.

We’ve tasked them with building three major apps that support one avenue of business. With how we’ve built it, they’ve had to enable some internal behaviors that I doubt they’d choose.

We have two developers, one designer, and two frontend web developers.

How did you come to work with FullStack Labs?

When I started to uncover the world of the new marketing and SEO techniques, FullStack Labs had a very prominent ad placement in our area. Over the course of a year, David (CEO, FullStack Labs) and I had an email conversation regarding our company’s direction. We decided to move forward, and David positioned a team to assist us to meet some of those goals.

We’ve spent $200,000–$999,999.

We started working together in January 2017 and the work is ongoing.

They are spectacular in efficiently crafting the agile development plan. When it comes to our project, they have done very well. We’ve been very fortunate to come across their services. It’s been great. We’re remaining agile and producing very swiftly.

How did FullStack Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

We use Slack. They’ve got an elegant safety net for how they develop technology. They do a good job of interpretation as well as communication, which is a rare quality in developers.

When our lead developer came onto it, the use and the build case weren’t explained well. That could be in part my fault, but it had to do with the prototype build too. We spent a lengthy amount of time on the bulk of what the app was going to do for the end user, but there were important ends on it. I tried to emphasize those components to that designer, and that translated into some hiccups over the course of the build, which we ironed out very easily. Essentially, those hiccups could have saved us 3–7 weeks of build. It’s harder to go backward than it is to start over in some cases.

They have a set standard for their developers. Their developers need to make sure they’re up to date with the most knowledge base that they have access to. It’s a very symbiotic relationship because we know that we’re getting value for our money when we task a certain project or sprint. We have comfort in knowing they have standards.

They’ve been very helpful in assisting in navigating uncharted waters. They’ve presented use case options that assist us in making decisions and present software that will help us reach our goals.

No. It would be hard to find an area where improvement is needed.

Communication gaps regarding the use and the build cases resulted in an additional 3-7 weeks of build.
    It's very likely as long as it doesn't impact our design. We're hoping to have a few more projects for FullStack Labs to help us out with.

iOS and Android Mobile App Dev for e-Commerce Company

"They’re extremely professional and definitely experts."

Jan. 2017 - Mar. 2017

Fullstack developed iOS and Android apps for an e-commerce site, using React Native and OneSignal. They also built a complementary API to gather content directly from the website.

Founder, E-commerce website

In just eight months, the app has garnered over 60,000 downloads with a near full 5-star rating on both app stores. Besides a vast knowledge base, Fullstack's comprehensive communication is the foundation for their success, as they ensure that every developer can be contacted about any queries.

I’m the founder of an internet consumer review website for technology sporting goods, as well as home and hardware products.

What challenge were you trying to address with FullStack?

We needed a mobile app developed, something that would be relatively affordable, have good usability, and be for both iOS and Android.

They built both app versions from scratch. They also built an API to reach into the backend of our website to pull data from there. This way, we only needed to produce the content once, and it would show up in both our website and the apps.

They used React Native and OneSignal for push notifications. They also worked with Google Analytics. Though the apps were done in March 2017, they still help with maintenance and support. We’re also working with them to beef up the app and add more features.

I was in touch with a project manager, though I don’t know how many were on the team.

How did you come to work with FullStack?

They were a referral from someone who worked with them before.

$30,000.

We started working together in January 2017, and the work is ongoing.

Both apps have five-star ratings. We got 50,000 downloads in eight months with no marketing.

How did FullStack perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re good with communication. They set up a Slack messaging service that allows us to message any of the developers. They send us an estimate every day for how many hours they’re billing us, so we’re able to stay on top of how much money we’re spending.

They’re extremely professional and definitely experts.

They have multiple projects and get busy. Sometimes they can’t start on things right away because they have so much going on. That's not necessarily a negative, though it's not great for us because when I get an idea, I want to execute it immediately.

I always recommend them. It’s great working with them.

They get busy, but I don’t know if we can hammer them on that, because they’re pretty good with deadlines.
    They’re pricey and bill for everything, but they do good work.
    They’re pretty good.
    I have recommended them.

Web Dev for Tax Credit Advising Firm

“Now … we’ve been able to bring larger companies on as clients.”

2017 - Ongoing

Fullstack Labs developed a web application with a Roku hosted database in the backend to replace a paper-based service with a web-based solution. The application is live, with further iterations in development.

Vaughn Hromiko
CEO, WOTC Planet

As well as playing an integral role in its function, the web-based service permits the firm to take on new, bigger clients and grow as a company. The team used a range of tools to communicate and manage the project well, though could include the client more with ongoing updates about the work.

I’m the owner of WOTC Planet.

What challenge were you trying to address with Fullstack Labs?

I needed someone to build my web application.

They developed a web application with a relatively simple database in the backend. The database is hosted with Roku. It’s designed to allow new employees, who are being hired by our clients, to provide some very specific information about eligibility for a federal tax benefit. There’s an iteration that’s finished, but the work is ongoing. It’s live an in production. We have clients, but we’re still making changes.

There were 5–6 developers. I didn’t have direct communication with all of them. I was in touch with a project manager.

How did you come to work with Fullstack Labs?

I found them through an online search. I was looking for someone that was local enough that I could meet them face to face before I started working with them on the technology. They had an office in downtown Sacramento. They were highly rated and the reviews were very positive. It gave me the initial confidence to reach out to them.

$20,000.

We started working together in 2017 and the work is ongoing.

Prior to this, our services were paper-based. Now that we have a web-based, paperless way to accomplish the service, we’ve been able to bring larger companies on as clients. After developing the application, they developed an API. We now have an integration with a partnering company that provides supreme resource type services that our system functions with. It’s not a resale. We’re not going to sell the software; it’s mission-critical for our own business process.

How did Fullstack Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

We communicate using Slack, Jira, and GitHub for the development process. I like the tools that they use. I was able to go in and look at code from time to time.

They’re very personable. I can’t contrast them with other vendors because it’s not something we do a lot of. Their project manager, who is one of their primary people that’s dealing with code, has degrees in computer science and he’s taught computer science at universities. His technical credentials are outstanding. That gives me confidence in what he’s doing for us because very frequently I don’t understand the technical side of what he does.

I would like to be more involved in the project communication. As a domain expert in terms of the business process, sometimes I didn’t know where they were going at any particular moment. Some people probably wouldn’t want that, but for me to feel comfortable, I need to be in the loop all the time.

Overall Score It was really good, but there were some communication issues.
    I would definitely refer them.

App Development for Language Startup

"We really liked that they were smaller and local. The larger companies didn’t feel personal."

FullStack Labs was hired to create a mobile application on both iOS and Android platforms for an early stage company to help travelers learn foreign languages.

Sacramento, CA
Lisa Sickman
Founder, Skyway Language

The client felt that FullStack Labs performed well in all categories, noting that their communication was excellent as well as the value they provided for their cost.

We are starting up a mobile app for learning foreign languages for travelers, we’re in the early stages.

Cofounder, it’s just two of us.

What business challenge were you trying to address with FullStack Labs?

We don’t have a developer, we needed someone who could create the app and the design aspect, they were able to give the design for us as well. Another reason we went with them was because of the native program they use that allows them to create the app both with iOS and Android easily.

We started out by meeting with them figuring out what our needs and goals were. After two meetings of just talking, we showed them our wireframe of what we wanted. They offered input on design, asked questions about the look and functionality. Not only were we creating the look but they gave us feedback about how customers might respond to it. We met in person and web conference. They were making those updates until what we envisioned was actually created.

How did you come to work with FullStack Labs?

I found them searching Google, they were local in Sacramento which was nice. We liked being able to meet with them in person. One of the big pulls was they were more affordable than other companies. Also they were able to do both iOS and Android.

We’ve done our prototype. That was under $2000. The cost estimate is between 40 and 60 thousand dollars.

Ongoing. Right now we have completed the prototype. They are getting us a quote to do the actual development. We’re going to decide if we’re going to have them develop the app for us and when that would be.

We’re happy with the way it looks. We’ve shown it to a few of our potential users. In terms of design they’re very satisfied. There’s one challenge in terms of having speech recognition.

How did FullStack Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

Very organized, they were always telling us what our current and future steps are. They’re meeting deadlines. They keep us up to date.

What distinguishes FullStack Labs from other providers?

We really liked that they were smaller and local. The larger companies didn’t feel personal. David, the owner, has a lot of experience in the tech industry. He was able to offer us some advice that was outside of creating the app. Talking to us about our plans for growing the business. He gave us some tips. That was nice to have.

Is there anything FullStack Labs could have improved or done differently?

No. I might have some thoughts after working on the app. We’re really satisfied right now.

Overall Score We’re very satisfied.
    They had a really easy scheduling system and a good communication system online. That made it easy to communicate with them.
    They were the most affordable US agency that we spoke to.
    The design looks great. Everything was timely.
    I have already.

App Development for Camp Software Firm

"They added a lot of value in terms of ideas...you feel like they care about the work."

FullStack Labs revamped an existing web application by redesigning its main pages, making it more intuitive and creating a better user experience. They also provided mobile app development.

President, Bunk1

The success of the project attracted 7,000 new active users for the app. FullStack Labs provided high-quality work, consistently met project deadlines, and provided a good value for the money spent. The team behaved more like ideation partners, impressing with their their personable approach.

I work with Bunk1. We provide software for children's summer camps.

I am the president of Bunk1.

What business challenge were you trying to address with FullStack Labs?

When I first hired them, I was exploring a way to refurbish our existing application. They did some discovery work for us on a new business idea. We ended up working with them on a number of different projects.

We have a big application that has existed for a long time that had some legacy code. They've been helping to refactor some of that and create a better user experience. They helped redesign many pages and helped make it more intuitive for our users. The biggest project they did was creating a mobile app for our users.

How did you come to work with FullStack Labs?

They reached out to me because they were aware that we were building in Ruby. I was initially against the idea of outsourcing, but when I talked to their team – David [Jackson, CEO at FullStack Labs] in particular was very convincing and took the time to understand our business, and I felt like he really got it and had a ton of value to add. He brought his own ideas before we'd even committed to any relationship. We tested them out on a small scale, which went well. The developers they have are incredible.

Our project cost between $50,000 and $200,000.

It's ongoing. We plan to be with them for a long time.

We have about 7,000 people using the app at the moment.

How did FullStack Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

It was awesome. We had a tight timeframe. They initially underestimated the size of our web application and what was involved in the legacy codes. It didn't faze them. They adjusted and worked overtime when necessary to stay on schedule. They met the timeframe and delivered on time. We're a seasonal business so that's important for us.

What distinguishes FullStack Labs from other providers?

The experience I've had with other firms is in direct contrast to what FullStack did. I'm comparing them with two other firms I worked with in the past. They care a lot about what their clients are doing. They bring their ideas and concepts to the table. I felt like they were on my team. They added a lot of value in terms of ideas and continue to do so. No matter who's working on the project you feel like they care about the work that's being produced.

Is there anything FullStack Labs could have improved or done differently?

No. I've been really happy. At the beginning, I didn't have a goal to outsource long term. The fact that I'm continuing to send work their way is a testament to what they're about. There was some minor details that didn't meet my expectation, but they always addressed my concerns in a timely manner. I think they're amazing, and I feel fortunate to have found them.

I strongly recommend them.

Application for Child Care

"They understand the struggles that startup companies are going through because they went through the same thing."

Fullstack Labs is collaborating with an in-house UX designer on the development of an app. They completed the prototype, conducted user testing, and built mockups to show potential investors.

CEO, Health Technology Company

Fullstack Labs’ work is reaching potential clients in 3 states. The team has genuine interest and investment in the success of project and an excellent understanding of the industry and business challenges. They have facilitated a smooth process with constant communication.

LiquidGoldConcept is a maternal and child's health technology company. Our goal is to improve the health of mothers and newborns by training health providers in breastfeeding management and empowering parents with a mobile health application called MomKit

I am the CEO and cofounder.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Fullstack Labs?

We have a UX [user experience] designer on the team, but we needed a full stack to come in and help us with the design and development of our prototype. We worked with them for a week with our UX designer to work collaboratively with them on the first pass on our mobile health application. Then, we continued to work during the next month to make modifications. They would put together mockups of our application to show to potential investors. Our UX designer had done wireframing, and she had planned out much of the look and feel of the application. We brought her here so she could learn from Fullstack and collaborate with them to make sure the prototype that's developed meets our expectations, but it's also done swiftly and efficiently with Fullstack.

Up until this point [as of August 2016], we've worked with two members of Fullstack – David [Jackson], the CEO, and Brian, who is a designer. We met in person a couple of times with them. We did a brainstorming session where they learned a lot about our company and our mission. Then, we planned out the main views of the prototype. The first week, we did a lot of back and forth where Brian would create the mockups, and we would give feedback on it. David facilitated these conversations and helped us understand the big picture of what is modern and what people are looking for. Brian did the design. We provided input on that. We did much of the user testing during that time period to implement changes.

How did you come to work with Fullstack Labs?

They were recommended to us by another company that worked with them. We were talking with a couple other firms that were out of our price range. Fullstack had a unique approach and was local, which we liked that.

It was less than $5,000. We'll be hiring them if we get funding for the prototype, and that will be $50,000 to $100,000.

It's ongoing. We signed a letter of intent with them.

We have many potential clients in three states. The goal was that instead of me describing what it would look like we can send people links to show what it looks like. That's been incredibly helpful.

How did Fullstack Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

This is our first time working with another business, so we don't have anything to compare it to. We were very happy with the way the whole process was facilitated. We started talking to them three months before we signed any contract with them. We met with them in person several times. We wanted to find out what their philosophy is. Both Brian and David are fathers with young children, so they understand the importance of the work we are doing. That shows through in their work. It was obvious they cared deeply. David even put in $25 into our crowdfunding campaign. It's a business relationship, but he cares about our success, which is rare. It's not just about the product, but the bigger mission, too.

What distinguishes Fullstack Labs from other providers?

We liked that they're local. They understand the ecosystem in Sacramento and the need for the involvement of a robust entrepreneurship and innovation ecosystem in the Sacramento region. They understand the struggles that startup companies are going through because they went through the same thing. They understand all the players in the field. It's a well-managed company. They got everything done in a timely manner. They worked diligently to make sure we were in constant communication.

Is there anything Fullstack Labs could have improved or done differently?

It would have been nice to have done a little more brainstorming in the beginning. We provided them with wireframes and I think I would have liked them to say let's just do everything from scratch. At the same time, we have limited funding, so the fact that we were able to save time and money by coming up with our own ideas – that's fine. We had a year's worth of work in it. I don't know what their process is with other people.

Overall Score I think this rating is clear from the letter of intent to continue collaborating.
    They were very good – especially short term. There was a point where we had spontaneous meeting with a hospital board. I asked for some things and they did it.
    We have nothing to compare it to, but we were offered a discounted rate and that was much needed.
    It was efficient, on time, and there was a lot of collaboration and respect for what our users are saying to us and what we feel is the appropriate design for the prototype.

Agricultural Mobile Tool

"Their attitude toward our needs is their greatest value in making all this work. "

Fullstack Labs is currently adapting hardware and implementing OCR and barcode scanning as part of a Salesforce data automation project. The team also developed an app in the first phase of this project.

Tom Knox
Executive Director, Valley CAN

Fullstack Labs has an excellent grasp on the technological, financial, and customization needs of the project. The team is upgrading 1997 technology to develop affordable solutions to expand data collection and automation. Their work has been integral to the entire business strategy.

We are a 501(3)(c) nonprofit. We do air quality and carbon reduction programs in California. We serve about 12,000 customers a year, and we're doing about 4,000 smog repairs. We'll do more than 1,000 down payments for vehicle replacements. Our budget is somewhere between $10 million and $15 million per year.

What business challenge were you trying to address with FullStack Labs?

We have a huge need for what we call data automation – to take a process that was totally paper-based and start to automate that. Our low-income customer base does not use technology. We've never used technology as there's never been a real appreciation on a technology side for the challenges with dealing with low income, often undocumented farm workers mainly.

We started working with Salesforce getting our data back-end in shape. We talked to FullStack. They really showed a good understanding of what we doing and have been adapting our needs throughout, and have come up with some great cheap solutions.

I think just above all, they are working within our limitations and are customizing to our needs, which is how all this has worked. Their attitude toward our needs is their greatest value in making all this work.

They're doing hardware work adapting hardware for our needs. They've been able to open our printer, copier, scanner equipment and started using that to do barcode scanning and OCR [optical character recognition] stuff that is customized to our needs. They are starting the process of adapting tablets to our needs, adding the ability to store and scan driver's licenses to pull the information that we need digitally very easily from the paperwork that our customers have. They're packing this hardware in a way that's makes it usable for some unpredictable circumstances.

They have developed an app and are continuing to expand that as our custom intake app. All the back-end programming to decode barcodes and to decode vehicle identification numbers – it's a 14- or 15-digit number where each digit means something. They've been able to break that open and populate a lot of our stuff. Based on the VIN, they can do an automatic query to some online database and get more data back. Building in the logic than to continually make qualification judgments customers based on the responses that are populated into the app. They're growing that farther and farther out so that we can qualify customers for more benefits.

It's significant what they're up to. I think it ought to get a lot of recognition once we're fully done and launched. It's already delivering many benefits. The cheap integration they've done has been huge.

How did you come to work with FullStack Labs?

We found them through Hacker Lab, a nonprofit in Sacramento. They recommended the guys to help with our data analysis.

The full build out of all of this is going to be a minimum of $250,000 to do the whole thing, which is a problem. We're raising the money as we go. We're probably $100,000 into it. We'll get to at least $250,000. It might end up being beyond that to achieve our ultimate scope of using this engine to deliver all of the disadvantaged community benefits for the Central Valley and the greater LA area.

We've gotten through the first phase. They have excelled in automating our data acquisition at events for vehicles. It works well. They've solved all our wireless and a bunch of other stuff. We're just at the point where we're pivoting into stage two, which is going to be moving from cars to households, and getting the app up on tablets; getting a lot more fields ready with everything.

In our little world of vehicle emissions, carbon reduction, there's never been any tech associated with it for 10 years. The most advanced technology we use at our events was developed in 1997. This is a significant thing within our world of environmental improvement; field work to do environmental programs. This is the goal we've had for 10 years. The California resources board has seen the app working. They've seen the VINs being decoded, and the barcoding we're doing at events off vehicle registration paperwork.

If FullStack hadn't performed as well, we would not be in the position to expand our program. This is instrumental to our entire strategy, and we are totally on track. I couldn't say enough about how they've enabled us to pursue our goals.

How did FullStack Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

It's great. Their managers have been engaged throughout. The whole project management staffing, matching team to task has been fantastic. All their staff is very committed. I'm very aware of how much bureaucracy there is in the tech world, and we've gotten nothing but solutions. I am totally happy with their approach to everything; their integrity, honesty, the whole thing. It's great.

What distinguishes FullStack Labs from other providers?

We were never told that what we were doing was going to be too difficult. I think part of the reason they were willing to engage was because of where they were located in Sacramento. I'm extremely happy with how they've approached this as a problem to solve. They've delivered solutions. It's been a very straightforward process, very understandable. I've never had a concern about them. This has been the rare time where I'm actually 100 percent satisfied with the performance of a contractor.

Is there anything FullStack Labs could have improved or done differently?

Within the limitations that we put on them – no.

This is what I'm doing right now. They are the best tech contractors I've ever worked with.