THERE'S AN APP- THEN, THERE'S A FUELED APP.

Fueled specializes in designing and developing award-winning mobile apps and websites that are fast, attractive, responsive, and easy to use. But we're not here to work on just any apps or for any client. We come to work in the morning to work on the most interesting projects with the best clients, whether for startups or big brands, because we're united by an unwavering passion for quality. It's what makes us tick.

2007
New York, NY
    13 Crosby Street, Floor 3
    New York, NY 10013
    68 Hanbury St.
    London E1 5JL
    269 S. Beverly Dr., Suite 634
    Los Angeles, CA 90212

MGM Resorts International, 9Gag, Harvard, Rite Aid, Verizon, Crunchbase, Afterlight, QuizUp, Summit Series, Barneys, Happify, Sunnycomb, Matador

Crunchbase

With over 31 million users, Crunchbase is the world's most relied upon business information platform. Crunchbase's mobile app is the fastest way to find what you need to know and will quickly become an indispensable part of your day.

OMstars

Get access to countless hours of amazing online videos and tutorials from OMstar's elite team of yoga masters, wellness experts and meditation gurus.

Afterlight

The most powerful, full-featured photo editing experience

Matador: Invest with Friends

Matador is the social way to buy and sell stocks. See what your friends are investing in, research stock performance and start investing within seconds, commission free.

Rite Aid Pharmacy

Manage all of your pharmacy prescriptions, browse and shop the Rite Aid Online Store, find product savings and coupons, and manage your wellness+ rewards account anywhere or anytime from your iPhone or iPad with the official Rite Aid Pharmacy app.

MGM Resorts International

The official app from MGM Resorts is your personal concierge – it lets you get to your room faster, unlock your room door with Digital Key, make & manage hotel, dining, and show reservations, and find the nearest restaurants & bars based on your location. And, of course, all bookings made through app earn you points for your M life Rewards tier benefits.

Barneys New York

Get Barneys style, wherever you go: Introducing the Barneys New York app for your iPad. Shop the latest collections from Christian Louboutin, Isabel Marant, Proenza Schouler and more.

Elevatr iPhone app

Elevatr helps you capture your ideas right when you have them, so you can share your idea with collaborators and move your ideas forward.

Nimble iPhone app

With Nimble, you can safely borrow a few hundred dollars in minutes, pay it all back a few weeks later, and get on with your life. Free of long-term debt.

Chopping Block iPhone app

Chopping Block allows you to really let your creative side run wild with tools to note changes you make to your recipes. Track all the different variations of a recipe and best of all, share your amazing creations with friends & followers!

Sunnycomb iPhone app

Sunnycomb isn’t just a traditional weather app. It’s a community of weather enthusiasts who share their experiences and bring your local weather forecast to life!

Fueled Blog

A weekly roundup of all the best mobile news, apps, and wearable tech.

Glamour Beauty Diaries

An inside look at the daily hair and makeup habits of supermodels, entrepreneurs and trendsetters. The idea was to give each diary page an editorial feel by including custom sections, copy and colour schemes.

WeRide iPhone app

WeRide is a location based skateboarding creation and discovery app, which, not only lets users find the best spots, shops and parks, but also gives users the ability to create and share spots they've found, all while connecting with the skateboarding community.

myNCLA iPhone app

When it comes to designing your own nail wraps, the possibilities are endless! Snap a shot of anything you’d like to see on your fingernails. Upload a new or existing image that reflects your personal style.

Rdio TrackDrop iPhone app

Location based music discovery service powered by Rdio, where you can drop tracks on any location you want, exploring the your own area playlists and also dropping music for friends.

AthleteMinder iPhone app

AthleteMinder is your tool for building the mental strength you need as an athlete. AthleteMinder helps you build mental skills the same way you build physical skills, for any sport.

Web App Design & Dev for Online Dating Website

“Their designs are spectacular and unlike anything I’ve seen before.”

Feb. 2018 - Ongoing

Fueled built a minimum viable product (MVP) website that features an algorithm that connects compatible members and an email alert system. They also provide digital marketing services.

Chico, California
Founder, Part-Time Relationship, Inc.

Fueled surpassed expectations with the stunning and immaculately-designed website and their work generated an impressive number of new members. Their team has a combination of warmth and intelligence that other tech agencies don't have.

I am the founder of an online dating platform for individuals seeking part-time relationships.

What challenge were you trying to address with Fueled?

After two failed attempts at building a dating website, I was eager to find a competent web developer who could transform my vision into a functional site.

I gave them a detailed mock-up of what I wanted to include on the website, and they explained their development process during our first meeting. Fueled conducted extensive research to develop new design concepts that improved my original vision. Research was also used to answer questions thoroughly, so I never got an immediate response to my inquiries. They recognized that this was a new business and went beyond their scope to offer guidance on my startup. After several weekly meetings, they finished building the MVP site.

Visitors can sign up for an account and create a dating profile. Fueled developed an algorithm that matches members based on their responses to compatibility questions. Members receive email alerts about matches and have the option to send anonymous messages. We plan to build a second version with more features soon. I recently started working with their marketing team; we’re scheduled to execute their promotional strategies next week.

The web development team included the account manager, two product managers, a backend developer, a frontend developer, and a senior and junior designer. The marketing team consisted of the marketing director and two analysts. I also interacted with one of the founders on occasion.

How did you come to work with Fueled?

I had made almost 300 phone calls before discovering Fueled through a consultant. I was impressed by them on multiple levels. Their team is highly intelligent, but they are also approachable. Most importantly, they were the only company that truly understood what I wanted and offered brilliant suggestions to bring my vision to life. Their willingness to sign my NDA was a great bonus.

They started working on the website in February 2018, and we plan to develop a second version of the site soon.

I was always confident in my unique dating website idea, but I was pleasantly surprised by the number of members that joined. Things started off slow due to the ineffective Facebook campaign my prior marketing group developed before I started working with Fueled, but membership eventually increased.

Their designs are spectacular and unlike anything I’ve seen before. They accomplished my goal of building a functional website. My willingness to work with them on future projects is a testament to their success.

How did Fueled perform from a project management standpoint?

They worked at a rapid pace and treated essential and trivial tasks with the same urgency. I never had to micromanage them, because they always delivered work on schedule. They were available to answer my questions and troubleshoot issues seven days a week via Slack, text, phone, and email. We used Jira to track their progress and prioritize items when necessary. I typically correspond with the account manager, but I have the option to email the entire team.

Many of the developers I contacted to build the website perceived me as a walking dollar sign, but Fueled treats me like a human being. Working with them was like having an in-house development team because they looked out for my best interests. They followed through on all the promises they made during the sales pitch, which is rare. Their team is intelligent and intuitive, and they have a quick and agile approach to work. I recommend their services to anyone looking to enhance their online platforms.

I’m delighted with their results, so there’s nothing that I would change about their approach to business. They were patient and accommodated my technical illiteracy. With their guidance, I was able to contribute to the project.

Finding a team that you are compatible with will produce the best results. Also, phone correspondence is more productive and intimate than sending emails back and forth.

Their seamless project management is one of their greatest skills. They always met deadlines without micromanagement.
    I spent a lot of money on developers who couldn’t deliver, but working with Fueled was money well spent.
    Fueled’s work exceeded my expectations. I couldn’t have asked for better services than what they provided.
    Everyone should use Fueled for their website needs.

Web Dev for Online Short Term Retail Leasing Platform

“They delivered a product that we’re very proud of and we’re looking forward to growing.”

Jan. - Apr. 2018

Fueled provided web development services, working on Python, Django, and Java, and integrating a Stripe payment system.

Nathan Franco
Co-Founder, PopShop

The completed website, though yet to go live to the public, was completed to a high standard and met expectations. The team was hands-on, dedicated, and transparent, communicating effectively and paying close attention to detail.

I’m the co-founder of PopShop. We’re an online platform for short-term retail leasing.

What challenge were you trying to address with Fueled?

We needed a team to develop our website.

We shared with them the concepts that we wanted to create. They challenged us on some of our ideas and direction, then helped us define our brand a bit more and what we wanted to achieve.

They started with designing the website aesthetically and functionally then developed the backend. Our initial MVP has just been delivered to us and they’re continuing to provide maintenance for us, tweaking things.

The backend was developed in Python and Django, while the frontend used Java. They did the integration of Stripe payments. There’s the ability to split up the spaces and have multiple tenants in each space.

We had around eight people at various times. Molly (Account Strategist, Fueled) was our account executive who oversaw everything and Nathan (Product Manager, Fueled) was the liaison between the developers and us. We had two coding developers and a couple of design people as well.

How did you come to work with Fueled?

We found them online when searching for the top development firms in the New York area. We saw their track record and thought it was well worth using them.

$200,000–$250,000.

We started working together in January 2018 and the site was finished in April.

We haven’t rolled the site out to the public yet. They delivered a product that we’re very proud of and we’re looking forward to growing. We did go slightly over budget and timing; we didn’t get to complete all the things that we did want in the initial product. I don’t want to fault them for that though. What they delivered was sufficient for what we were expecting.

How did Fueled perform from a project management standpoint?

We were very impressed with their project management. They were really hands-on, using Jira so we could track all of the development. We got detailed weekly summaries from them. They were very open and nothing was hidden—they laid everything out in front of us.

I’ve never used any other providers. We were definitely impressed with them overall. Their level of professionalism, their level of scrutiny, and their attention to detail was very impressive. They were solid and delivered.

We felt rushed to finish at the end. We didn’t feel the end product had enough attention paid to the little details that we felt should have been, after paying $250,000. There was still a couple of glitches that we felt shouldn’t have been there. These things are always going to come up during any project, but it was the one area they could improve on.

They were very easy to schedule meetings with and they kept deadlines.
    They’re expensive. We made a conscious decision to spend more money, knowing that the quality was going to be better, and it was.
    They were quite good. At the end, there were a couple of small things we weren’t as happy with, but nothing too major.

Wireframe & Prototype Dev for Heath & Wellness Platform

"When we wanted to add in extra components at the last minute, they worked into the weekend to ... meet our deadlines."

May - June 2017

Fueled offered UX/UI, branding, and design services. They developed the wireframes and aesthetic for a wellness platform.

Santana Iglesias & Nicole Knudson
Co-Founders, NUMOVI, LLC

They met deadlines and stayed on budget. Their team was great to work with, and they were knowledgeable and professional. They deliver high-quality work and are friendly and welcoming. Their expertise is apparent, and they don't need to improve in any area.

I’m the founder of NUMOVI, which stands for nutrition, motion, and vitality. We give you the ability to browse the coolest wellness establishments in New York City under those categories and organize them into playlists that you can share with your friends.

What challenge were you trying to address with Fueled?

We needed to develop the wireframes for our platform.

They understood the direction that we were aiming for since their UX/UI branding is very funky and different. We're trying to do something completely different in this space. They not only allowed us to explore our creativity, but they helped us focus in on the direction we wanted to go.

We were able to create a solid MVP to move forward with the platform. We sat with them for a series of six weeks for sprints. We worked with a full team that not only helped us with the frontend, but also helped us better understand the backend. They helped with the design, branding, and overall look and feel of our platform.

We had one point of contact, but we could reach two to three others on the team at any time.

How did you come to work with Fueled?

We previously worked with them on a different project and had loved the way that the team kept an efficient workflow to provide deliverables. They did everything they said they were going to and met all the due dates. They had a unique way of executing user flow and frontend work, and our experience working with them led us to work with them again.

We spent approximately $36,000.

We started working together May 2017, and we finished our collaboration in June 2017.

The quality of their work was incredible. We enjoyed the work process, and we currently are in our funding rounds. They allowed us to utilize our clickable prototype to reach out to investors and bring our idea and vision to life. They also provided us a more varied branding deck that allowed us to go out and raise funds.

We hit the budget exactly, and they met all of our deadlines. When we wanted to add in extra components at the last minute, they worked into the weekend to still meet our deadlines.

How did Fueled perform from a project management standpoint?

They were an amazing team to work with. We were impressed at how they could make adjustments for us after a quick call. They were reachable, and they utilized various platforms to keep in contact with us, which was helpful and kept things organized. They use more people than an average design team to provide excellent design, user flow, and expertise. We mainly communicated over the phone, through video conference, and through Slack.

They immediately treat you like family. When you walk into their office, everybody is welcoming, and everything is very well organized. Even the look and feel of their establishment resemble what they do with their design work. It’s clear that they have an experienced background because they’ve worked with many tech companies. They were able to share advice with us and help us overcome difficulties. Overall, working with them was really an incredible experience, and we're still great friends today.

No, they handled everything really professionally and well.

Do your research, and make sure that you're knowledgeable about the project. They know exactly what to do when you specify what you want. Leave room for change and different options because the team that you’ll work with will have enough experience to guide you in the correct direction. Be open to their feedback, but definitely have an idea of the general scope of your project. This will save you time, as well as them.

Overall Score They’re a great team.
    They met all of our guidelines and went above and beyond, working extra days to finish things that weren't even originally part of the deliverables.
    They're more expensive than a typical firm because they provide so many services and are more of a boutique service.
    We fell in love with everything that they did with our design and all of our deliverables.
    We have already recommended them to many people in this space.

Branding & Pitch Deck for Social Commerce Retail Platform

"I can’t say enough about how much they accomplished in the short timeframe."

Dec. 2017 - Jan. 2018

Fueled created a Pitch Deck and did market research for an e-commerce platform. Branding services focused on name and logo design. While engagement finished January 2018, future projects are possible.

Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota
Joe C.
Co-Founder, Grabbit

Impressive expertise created a positive experience. Professional and timely service produced results while also refining platform objectives and the brand identity. Informative discovery sessions kept the process dynamic and targeted in the short timeframe, which created high value for cost.

I’m a co-founder of Grabbit, a social commerce retail platform for all mid-sized retailers.

What challenge were you trying to address with Fueled?

We had initial ideas for the platform, but needed outside help to develop it and our branding further. We needed storylines to define the application better and pitch decks for retailers and investors.

First, we articulated our vision to them. They then created definitions based on those concepts, identifying the deliverables that we needed. Their developers and UI specialists created the Pitch Deck; the team also brainstormed demos, screenshots, and wireframes. The team did deliver the Pitch Deck but not a minimal viable product (MVP) or an actual mobile app.

For branding, they did market research and options for logos and names. Our company had a different name before we settled on Grabbit.

The wrap-up meeting occurred January 2018. Will, my co-founder, is currently talking to them about future projects unrelated to this one. We plan to use their expertise for future work, so I expect the relationship to continue.

How did you come to work with Fueled?

I met them through Will, my co-founder. He worked with them previously on successful projects. As a result, our collaboration was a natural fit. They turn down many projects, so we were honored to work with them.

We spent $40,000.

Work started December 2017 and ended January 2018.

The team was great. Their professionalism and timeliness impressed me. They directed us by asking a lot of questions geared to figuring out our priorities. They also guided the thought process, which kept the project targeted and didn’t waste time.

How did Fueled perform from a project management standpoint?

The team was always well-prepared. We used email, Google Hangouts, and Google Docs. However, Will had much more interaction with them than I did.

While I haven’t worked with many agencies that provide similar services, I found them timely, focused, and easy to work with. Overall, they’re sharp people.

I’m not in a position to provide that feedback because of my minimal interaction with them. From my perspective, we had a positive experience. There were a few mistakes, but those are inevitable in any project. We viewed the engagement as paying for their expertise and timeliness, as well as the time needed to make corrections.

Overall Score It was a pleasure; the touch points we had were spot on. I can’t say enough about how much they accomplished in the short timeframe.
    They were always punctual.
    Although not cheap, they come with a great reputation and connectivity to important communities. For us, this was about value, not cost.
    They were top-notch, terrific. The team delivered on time.
    I would definitely recommend them if the client’s budget fit their rates.

Mobile App Dev for Classic Car Valuation Tool

"Everything they gave us looks good and functions like they said it would."

May 2017 - Ongoing

Fueled designed and built an iOS app, providing all the coding and guiding the development of APIs, which were built in-house. They also assisted with publishing the app on the app store.

Traverse City, Michigan
Steven Haas
Director, Financial Services, Hagerty (U.S.)

The app went through beta testing, was presented at auction events, and is now ready for launch at Apple AppStore. The app was finished on time, has an appealing look, and works as expected.

Hagerty Insurance Agency is a classic car insurance company that provides valuation information on classic cars. I'm a project manager who handles development of new apps and valuation products.

What challenge were you trying to address with Fueled?

We wanted to build a mobile app to give our clients access to our valuation tools. We also wanted to create some new tools, such as a live feed of auction results. We needed a company with expertise in app development to do those things for us.

They did all the coding and designed a user app, helping us develop APIs for feeding the app (we did the APIs development in-house with their guidance). They also helped us publish the app on the app store and get approvals from Apple. Our app is a competitive product available on the AppStore and on our website – we have some valuation tools online at hagerty.com. So far, we've only developed an iOS version for budget reasons, but we might build an Android version later.

The app is fairly basic at this point. They incorporated our ideas, making sure the app was finished on time and within our budget. There is a list of additional features they helped us brainstorm that we haven't built yet. We worked with them for about six months and we're launching the app this week.

I worked with four or five people, usually through our project manager, but there are probably a lot more people behind the scenes.

How did you come to work with them?

That happened prior to my involvement. One of our IT executives heard of them and discussed a few other projects with them (we didn't do those projects in the end). We were impressed with their design skills and knew we wanted to work with them before the project started.

We started working with them in May 2017 and the project is ongoing.

We've done a lot of user testing and demonstrated beta versions of the application to our clients at auction events to get feedback. Since the release is within the next couple of days, we started doing email blasts to our clients.

They've met all of our deadlines (even though the budget did creep up a little). They were fairly realistic about what we could do in the timeframe we had, which meant cutting some of the features we originally wanted to include.

How did they perform from a project management standpoint?

From a client's perspective, they were easy to work with – they isolated me from all the internal project management details they had to deal with. When I needed to get in touch with them, I emailed or called/texted them.

Even though they don't come from the classic car world, they quickly understood our needs. They made their design match our brand standards, so everything looks very nice.

They're a little pricey and charge to make changes.

It was helpful for us to see some of the applications they built in the past, most of which we really liked.

Overall Score They were professional, knowledgeable, and quick to learn.
    The delays were on our side. We had to cut out some things we didn't expect, but they were very flexible.
    They're not the least expensive, but if you want it to be done right, you should be ready to pay.
    Everything they gave us looks good and functions like they said it would.

MVP iOS Mobile App Dev for Nightlife Reservation Platform

"They have a great understanding of what's current, and get things done very quickly compared to others."

Sept. - Dec. 2016

Fueled planned, designed and built a bidding-style iOS mobile app for booking nightlife reservations, which included both front-end and back-end execution.

Founder, Mobile App

Reliable communication and qualitative suggestions on useful functionality during the planning stage made for a final product that surpassed initial expectations. Tight deadlines were reliably met without issue.

I'm the founder of a mobile app that allows users to book nightlife reservations, view different venues/upcoming events, and compare pricing.

What challenge were you trying to address with Fueled?

When we approached Fueled, our product had significantly less functionality, especially with regards to booking reservations. We wanted to add several new features, and to redesign the app to create a more exclusive user experience. We had limited technical experience going into the project and wanted a group that could manage the entire development process.

Fueled built up a new iOS application for us from scratch. After an initial planning stage, we went through wireframes and initial mockups to give them an idea of our goals for the app’s design. They made several suggestions on potential additions to functionality and started building the app from there.

Features added largely focused on building out a bidding-style system for reservations, which included a database of venues with adjustable price ranges, an option to submit offers, and sending notifications upon the venue’s response to the offer.

We had one front-end developer, one back-end developer, and one designer. We also had a project manager and account manager who were not full time. About five people total were working on the project.

How did you come to work with Fueled?

They were originally recommended to us by a colleague, but we did receive a few quotes from other companies based in the U.S. After reviewing all of our options, it seemed that Fueled was our best option due to the price and their willingness to assist in determining extraneous vs. core features.

Between $100,000 and $200,000.

We started working with them in September 2016, and the project concluded in December.

I don't have quantitative results, but they certainly provided us with a solid starting point. They established a solid design for the app and created something that feels like much more of a well thought out, well-designed premium experience than what we had before.

In terms of reliability, they tested beta versions of the app vigorously to catch any outstanding errors or bugs. Once the final deliverable was made available, we had no problems at all.

How did Fueled perform from a project management standpoint?

We communicated via Slack for daily updates and Google Hangouts for sharing larger design files and mockups. I interacted with the project manager, and he would communicate with the development team. I did not get a chance to interact with the development team members individually, but our project manager was always very quick to update us and gave us the option to set check-in intervals.

They’re incredibly efficient in the work that they do, and know what they're doing in both design and coding/executing their ideas. They have a great understanding of what's current and get things done very quickly compared to others. Also, a few months after completing the project, one of our APIs changed and caused a few issues with the app. Fueled fixed the issues for us at no extra charge, which was great.

I would have liked to be able to interact with the entire team directly, but I'm not sure if that was a result of me not asking to, or a result of just how they work.

Advice for potential customers?

We had a stigma about outsourcing to development companies outside of the U.S., and I wish we had been a bit more open to the idea going into the project. While Fueled was instrumental in planning out the app and determining what functionality would be most useful, the cost difference in regard to the actual development process would have been significant.

Overall Score We had no problems, and they were even willing to help us after the project concluded.
    We set a tight deadline structure, and they reliably delivered quality work on time.
    They provided invaluable insight in the planning stage, but there are cheaper alternatives for execution.
    They consistently went above and beyond initial expectations for deliverables.
    For those that need help with planning, it’s an incredible experience across the board.

UI/UX Design for Traffic Forecasting & Information App

"They were open to our input and suggestions but weren’t afraid to push back."

Jan. - June 2017

Fueled redesigned a white-label route-finding app by applying in-depth market and user research, improving the original aesthetic, and creating a fresh, modern look to support an engaging experience.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Sil Scaglione
General Manager, TrafficCarma

Prospective customers, investors, and advertising agencies have praised the updated product’s attractive look and feel. Fueled’s competitive skill set, collaborative approach, and adherence to all deadlines contributed to a rewarding relationship.

I’m the EVP/general manager of TrafficCarma, which offers a white-labeled traffic app for local media sites. It’s an app for folks that don’t really need navigation but just need to know the best routes to get where they’re going.

What challenge were you trying to address with Fueled?

We have developers in-house, but we fall short with UI and UX. We’re doing business with local and national broadcasters, and our UI wasn’t anywhere near what our competitors offered. People are using apps on their phones, so our work needed to be on par with some of the best firms out there. We needed to redesign the UI of the app, so we did a pretty exhaustive search to find the right firm to help us. The original design was done by our team and a local firm, but for the redesign we felt we needed to hire a provider who could deliver at the level of our competitors.

Fueled put together a well-rounded team to work on the project. We had an initial kickoff meeting in their office for a few hours, which their key team members joined. Some of their team had experience with transportation apps, so they understood the concept of what we were doing. We told Fueled what we wanted without too much detail because we wanted them to come back with a really fresh look compared to what we’d done already. At this point, the app had been live for 6 months.

We were really happy with what Fueled came up with. It was a collaborative effort. We would meet in-person or via conference call on a weekly basis to talk about the project status.

They did a nice job of conducting a couple of research projects. One was with users of transportation or navigation apps in general to get a feel for the marketplace. Then, they conducted a number of interviews with some of our existing users to find out what they liked and didn’t like about the current app. Fueled also showed the users some mockups of what they had designed so we could get a proof of concept.

How did you come to work with Fueled?

We asked for recommendations in our network and identified some of the top firms in the space. We started out with 25 or 30 leads from coast to coast. We eventually narrowed the list to 3 firms. We selected Fueled primarily from the previous work they had done. The time we spent communicating during the vetting process gave us a really good feeling about them. We decided we wanted to go with a provider on the east coast that could lend a hands-on approach. They were also able to do the project in the timeline we needed.

How much have you invested with Fueled?

We spent less than $200,000.

We started the project in January 2017, and it was completed in June 2017.

We will not be implementing their work until September because we wanted to build some additional features first. Everyone who’s seen Fueled’s work—including prospects, potential investors, and advertisers—has been extremely impressed with what they designed.

How did Fueled perform from a project management standpoint?

They did an excellent job. They were incredibly well-organized and efficient, and they always hit their deadlines. They were open to our input and suggestions but weren’t afraid to push back when they thought we should go in a different direction. We used Slack to communicate.

What did you find most impressive about Fueled?

We thought very highly of their process and the quality of their work. Their ability to communicate their ideas and designs was also impressive.

Are there any areas Fueled could improve?

The billing process was confusing. We worked through that, but there’s probably a more efficient way for them to handle this aspect.

Overall Score When you’re in the creative space, you can butt heads with others sometimes. When those situations arose, we found a way for both sides to lend the right touch.
    They always hit their deadlines.
    We’re pleased with the value we received.
    We decided to hire them based on prior work. The finished product they delivered was impressive.
    I have already recommended them.

Mobile App Dev Discovery Process for Education Association

"We felt like we really had great people thinking about our needs."

July 2016 - Feb. 2017

Fueled directed a mobile app review to explore development concepts and feature options, conducting a robust discovery process through brand research, industry trends, and MVP suggestions.

Washington, District of Columbia
Contract Director, Education Association

Results from the discovery process and MVP sketches provided a clear strategy for decision-making, saving time and money from being misdirected. The Fueled team’s broad technical knowledge base, nimble thinking, and dedication to understanding internal priorities forged a strong relationship.

I’m a contract director of web communications for an education nonprofit. I was the overall project manager during our relationship with Fueled.

What challenge were you trying to address with Fueled?

Our organization tries to be forward-looking in terms of how we serve our members. We didn’t necessarily have a specific business challenge; we wanted to see how we could better serve our members, and whether that could be through an app.

We hired Fueled to do an app review for us. We started with a very open-ended RFP, which was essentially, “Should we do an app?” We had a vague idea that it might support orientation, but we weren’t entirely convinced of that. We liked that Fueled was willing to walk us through a discovery process without necessarily trying to ramp us into app development right away. So, they really just did discovery for us.

We decided that we weren’t going to do an app. Being able to make that decision from a place of knowledge was a goal of our process. Based on what Fueled conveyed, and through that discovery process, we felt that an app wasn’t right for us. That sounds like a negative, but we actually consider it a positive because it put us in a better position. We had some of the best people consider the apps we might build, and we still thought it wasn’t a direction we wanted to go. It was an oddly positive outcome. We just don’t have a big enough membership base to merit spending 6 figures on app development.

I don’t think we had any developers assigned to our project, but we had user experience people and project managers. I would say we had up to 7 people involved from Fueled. We had a project manager and a project lead whom I heard from consistently. When we did our weekly sprint calls, there were often 5 people on the line.

How did you come to work with Fueled?

I found a number of app companies through a Google search. I interviewed about 5, and we ended up selecting Fueled because we really felt like they understood the problem we had.

How much have you invested with Fueled?

I think we did a 6-week sprint period. Since we paid for portions in advance, we got a slight discount. We paid their standard rate for a discovery sprint. I think we were in the $50,000–$200,000 range.

I think my first conversation with Fueled was in July of 2016, and we kicked off the discovery process in the fall of that year. We finished the project in January or February of 2017.

We had them come to DC from New York for our kickoff meeting, and they brought 3 or 4 people and had some people on the phone as well. In the multi-hour session, they asked a lot of questions about our members, what we offer, and what problems we saw. They were really trying to understand the business problems we wanted to solve. We were incredibly impressed by the research they had done in advance and the questions they asked during the meeting. It showed they’d done a lot of work, but it also showed how quickly they acclimatized to the needs of our organization. We were very impressed, and the meeting went well.

The second deliverable was the concepts they developed for us. They developed 3 different concepts for an app we could potentially use as a minimum viable product [MVP]. We ultimately liked all 3 concepts, although we favored 1 as the clear leader for us to pursue. Their discovery process kept going through iterations of what that might work for us. In the end, if we’d felt that enough people would have downloaded the concept, we would have done it. We had no problems with the app concept, but we were concerned with how many people would actually use it, as we’re a niche organization.

At no point did I feel like they just told us about this app we had to develop and gave us a price tag. They really worked with us to figure out concepts that could be made into an app, and they didn’t limit themselves. They were very nimble in their thinking.

How did Fueled perform from a project management standpoint?

They used Slack as the team chatroom. We did weekly sprints, which were very Agile, and we had weekly check-in calls. At first, we started with Google Hangouts, but nobody in my office knows how to use that. We moved to another tool, but sometimes the screen would freeze, so we worked on that throughout the process. I wish I had asked in the beginning for a more formal management process.

What did you find most impressive about Fueled?

My impression, and what I heard from reference checks, is that they really excel at the conceptual portion, as well as their emphasis on a minimum viable product. Although we never quite got there, I know that they really stress being able to pick a concept, build an MVP, and then learn from that.

Are there any areas Fueled could improve?

My only complaint about them is that during the check-in calls, they sometimes had a lot of background noise, and sometimes I wasn’t sure about the point of the call. I didn’t really know where my team was supposed to come in and make a decision. That might be because we’re a formal group and needed more structure. We would have liked the weekly check-in calls to feel a little more on-point. I always hung up unsure about what they wanted. Other than that, my team really enjoyed the whole process. We felt like we really had great people thinking about our needs.

We did have some back and forth about the days we would have our check-in and the hours allotted to our project. It wasn’t negative, but it was a little more discussion than I wanted.
    They are not the cheapest provider by far, but I don’t know if we could have found someone else who would’ve work as hard as Fueled did to come up with concepts for us.
    I was impressed with their knowledge, how hard they worked to understand my association, and the strides they made to come up with concepts for us.
    If people have the funds to go through this process, I think they should. Fueled is very good at what they do.

Development for Micro Donation Platform

"They delivered us nearly flawless code."

Fueled was hired to build a mobile micro-donation iOS application.

COO, Micro Donation Platform

Fueled received positive feedback from the client, noting that the product that they received was almost flawless. However, they did struggle along the way to get their application approved by Apple, and the overall cost of development was high.

We are a mobile micro-donation platform that will ask people to donate $1, $2 or $3 to causes and current events. The thought being that if you share your donation with your network and encourage your friend to give, it can aggregate to a large amount of money. I am the Chief Operating Officer.

What challenge were you trying to address with Fueled?

My background is in financial technology but I’m not a developer myself. We were able to put together a PowerPoint deck prototype but we didn’t have any development skills among the three of us. We raised half a million dollars out of the gate and we needed to start building the platform, so we engaged Fueled after a little bit of research, a vetting process, and an RFP [request for proposal] process amongst a couple different vendors here in New York.

We went through some design sprints with them. They were week-long sprints in which we had a project manager sit with us for multiple hours per week and sketch out the prototype and start to develop the requirements for the platform. The cool thing about Fueled that I really liked is we walked in there with a pretty grand idea and they helped us scale that into something that is more appropriate for an MVP [minimum viable product] and a first platform. We did about five of those week-long sprints. It probably took us about seven weeks in total with some delays. They also helped us do some research on what Apple allowed with regard to charitable donations and we worked with Fueled to come up with some alternative methods of donating that were within Apple’s scope of their development guidelines. Ultimately, we hand them the credit for helping us refine our product and build something that complies with Apple’s regulations.

How did you come to work with Fueled?

Interestingly enough, we started out with your generic Google search of best mobile app development firms in New York City and they came up first. I say interestingly enough because we’re now working with their digital marketing agency, Taktical, who was responsible for getting them top placement on Google. We tried to vet them as best we could, and we used Clutch. We saw some other reviews from some other places as well. The engagement started at end of June, beginning of July of last year and we finally brought the development in-house in late February of this year.

How much have you invested with Fueled?

We spent $535,000 for everything.

The project was completed. They went above and beyond what we expected them to do. They quoted us about $300,000 to $325,000 and we almost doubled that. A lot of that had to do with the fact that we wanted additional features that they didn’t think that we needed for an MVP, and we had talked ourselves into the fact that we did need them. Also, we did go through a whole bunch of rounds of rejection with Apple, where they rejected us for a whole multitude of reasons and we had to fix those reasons as we progressed through the life cycle. That obviously extended both the time of development and the cost of development with Fueled.

We just launched. I can tell you that it is a beautifully designed app and all of our investors and early adopters comment on how beautifully designed it is. Fueled is to credit with a lot of that design.

How did Fueled perform from a project management standpoint?

They performed very well from a project management standpoint, it wasn’t perfect but it was great. I think that their people are somewhat stretched, but our account manager never made us feel like we were a small-time client. You couldn’t call her any hour of the day or night and expect her to pick up but she was very responsive, very helpful, and just a pleasure to work with. The developers, the project managers, and the account managers are all exceptionally smart. There’s no dead weight in that company. They do a very good job of hiring smart people.

What did you find most impressive about Fueled?

They get it. They understand the demographic that we’re building this platform for. We’re going after millennials and they understand what millennials need. I also think they do a good job of helping you scale down to what’s actually required. Fueled is not cheap at the end of the day, and my one complaint with them is that they’re incredibly expensive compared to some of their competitors. But they do a good job of helping you spend your money wisely once you commit to going with that expensive option. They’re cool, they’re hip, and they’re a great brand. The people that are running the company are smart.

Are there any areas Fueled could improve?

We did have some concerns when we went through the multiple rounds of Apple rejection. We felt that they were somewhat responsible for guiding us down a path that got us rejected and caused us a couple of weeks of rework, but they were willing to help us alleviate the cost of some of this additional rework. Additionally, we had to work with three project managers over the course of our project. We were only there for six months so they had a pretty substantial turnover with a couple of key people. One thing I did like coming from a technical background is they provide a great deal of transparency. They gave me direct access through Slack to their frontend developer in India and their backend developer in New York. I had meetings directly with them without the account manager present. They let the clients have a good deal of freedom to talk to anybody on their team.

Overall Score Just because of the cost.
    There were a lot of things they promised at a certain time and then they ran out of it. They wouldn’t run out of money, but they would go over schedule. There were definitely some slippages but I will attribute some of that to us and some of that to them.
    They were excellent but very expensive ($200+ an hour). Considering the final scope of our engagement, we could have hired a full team for this cost. We're all first time founders and we needed their guidance, so we're ultimately happy we found them.
    They delivered us nearly flawless code. From a quality perspective, it was surprising to me. I was pleasantly surprised in dealing with Fueled because they really thought of everything and they delivered exceptional code from a quality perspective.
    You’re going to get exceptional quality and service. They are a big agency that is stretched. You’ll have to deal with some hiccups along the way, plus the expense, but as long as you know those parameters going in, they’re worth it.

Application Development for Toy Company

"We know a lot of good programmers but there are very few teams who design as well as Fueled."

Fueled was hired to build an iOS application for a UK based company that would support their existing hardware.

Soumyadip Rakshit
CEO, MysteryVibe

Fueled received a perfect score across the board from the client, noting that their UI/UX [user interface/user experience] design was exceptional and set them apart from other similar providers.

The company is MysteryVibe. I am the Chief Executive Officer.

What challenge were you trying to address with Fueled?

We wanted to make an app which drives our hardware. We make toys for women and we wanted to make an app which is very well designed and appeals to the public. It was a design problem that we wanted to solve.

They created the entire design of the app as well as the build for iOS. They built everything from scratch.

How did you come to work with Fueled?

We found them by looking at a lot of award winning apps that they have built. We were looking for good apps that we already like and tried to find out who built them. That’s how we found them. Then we talked to them here in London. We have a London office, so we talked to them and then they produced it.

We have spent $500,000.

In the nine months that it has been live, the app has been downloaded more than 150,000 times.

How did Fueled perform from a project management standpoint?

They were really good; they took ownership of everything. They managed everything. They don’t need much guidance and they’re very independent. They also take care of other elements of the app such as submission, and they do a very good job of it.

What did you find most impressive about Fueled?

They’re very diligent, they really care about UX and design. It’s very special and not many developers and designers think that well. It was a very good experience and we still work with them. I have nothing to say which isn’t good. Also, there are a lot of good programmers in their design component. We know a lot of good programmers but there are very few teams who design as well as Fueled.

Are there any areas Fueled could improve?

We hope it’s always faster but I think it’s part of any project. Things always take longer than we planned.

Overall Score I have a really good relationship with Fueled. I’m really glad we worked together.