THERE'S AN APP- THEN, THERE'S A FUELED APP.

Fueled specializes in designing and developing award-winning mobile apps and websites that are fast, attractive, responsive, and easy to use. But we're not here to work on just any apps or for any client. We come to work in the morning to work on the most interesting projects with the best clients, whether for startups or big brands, because we're united by an unwavering passion for quality. It's what makes us tick.

2007
    +44 20 3286 4277
    269 S. Beverly Dr., Suite 634
    Los Angeles, CA 90212
    +1-323-908-2333

Harvard, Rite Aid, Verizon, Crunchbase, Afterlight, QuizUp, Summit Series, Barneys, Happify, Sunnycomb, Matador

Barneys New York

Get Barneys style, wherever you go: Introducing the Barneys New York app for your iPad. Shop the latest collections from Christian Louboutin, Isabel Marant, Proenza Schouler and more.

Elevatr iPhone app

Elevatr helps you capture your ideas right when you have them, so you can share your idea with collaborators and move your ideas forward.

Nimble iPhone app

With Nimble, you can safely borrow a few hundred dollars in minutes, pay it all back a few weeks later, and get on with your life. Free of long-term debt.

Chopping Block iPhone app

Chopping Block allows you to really let your creative side run wild with tools to note changes you make to your recipes. Track all the different variations of a recipe and best of all, share your amazing creations with friends & followers!

Sunnycomb iPhone app

Sunnycomb isn’t just a traditional weather app. It’s a community of weather enthusiasts who share their experiences and bring your local weather forecast to life!

Fueled Blog

A weekly roundup of all the best mobile news, apps, and wearable tech.

Glamour Beauty Diaries

An inside look at the daily hair and makeup habits of supermodels, entrepreneurs and trendsetters. The idea was to give each diary page an editorial feel by including custom sections, copy and colour schemes.

WeRide iPhone app

WeRide is a location based skateboarding creation and discovery app, which, not only lets users find the best spots, shops and parks, but also gives users the ability to create and share spots they've found, all while connecting with the skateboarding community.

myNCLA iPhone app

When it comes to designing your own nail wraps, the possibilities are endless! Snap a shot of anything you’d like to see on your fingernails. Upload a new or existing image that reflects your personal style.

Rdio TrackDrop iPhone app

Location based music discovery service powered by Rdio, where you can drop tracks on any location you want, exploring the your own area playlists and also dropping music for friends.

AthleteMinder iPhone app

AthleteMinder is your tool for building the mental strength you need as an athlete. AthleteMinder helps you build mental skills the same way you build physical skills, for any sport.

Development for Micro Donation Platform

"They delivered us nearly flawless code."

Fueled was hired to build a mobile micro-donation iOS application.

COO, Micro Donation Platform

Fueled received positive feedback from the client, noting that the product that they received was almost flawless. However, they did struggle along the way to get their application approved by Apple, and the overall cost of development was high.

We are a mobile micro-donation platform that will ask people to donate $1, $2 or $3 to causes and current events. The thought being that if you share your donation with your network and encourage your friend to give, it can aggregate to a large amount of money. I am the Chief Operating Officer.

What challenge were you trying to address with Fueled?

My background is in financial technology but I’m not a developer myself. We were able to put together a PowerPoint deck prototype but we didn’t have any development skills among the three of us. We raised half a million dollars out of the gate and we needed to start building the platform, so we engaged Fueled after a little bit of research, a vetting process, and an RFP [request for proposal] process amongst a couple different vendors here in New York.

We went through some design sprints with them. They were week-long sprints in which we had a project manager sit with us for multiple hours per week and sketch out the prototype and start to develop the requirements for the platform. The cool thing about Fueled that I really liked is we walked in there with a pretty grand idea and they helped us scale that into something that is more appropriate for an MVP [minimum viable product] and a first platform. We did about five of those week-long sprints. It probably took us about seven weeks in total with some delays. They also helped us do some research on what Apple allowed with regard to charitable donations and we worked with Fueled to come up with some alternative methods of donating that were within Apple’s scope of their development guidelines. Ultimately, we hand them the credit for helping us refine our product and build something that complies with Apple’s regulations.

How did you come to work with Fueled?

Interestingly enough, we started out with your generic Google search of best mobile app development firms in New York City and they came up first. I say interestingly enough because we’re now working with their digital marketing agency, Taktical, who was responsible for getting them top placement on Google. We tried to vet them as best we could, and we used Clutch. We saw some other reviews from some other places as well. The engagement started at end of June, beginning of July of last year and we finally brought the development in-house in late February of this year.

How much have you invested with Fueled?

We spent $535,000 for everything.

The project was completed. They went above and beyond what we expected them to do. They quoted us about $300,000 to $325,000 and we almost doubled that. A lot of that had to do with the fact that we wanted additional features that they didn’t think that we needed for an MVP, and we had talked ourselves into the fact that we did need them. Also, we did go through a whole bunch of rounds of rejection with Apple, where they rejected us for a whole multitude of reasons and we had to fix those reasons as we progressed through the life cycle. That obviously extended both the time of development and the cost of development with Fueled.

We just launched. I can tell you that it is a beautifully designed app and all of our investors and early adopters comment on how beautifully designed it is. Fueled is to credit with a lot of that design.

How did Fueled perform from a project management standpoint?

They performed very well from a project management standpoint, it wasn’t perfect but it was great. I think that their people are somewhat stretched, but our account manager never made us feel like we were a small-time client. You couldn’t call her any hour of the day or night and expect her to pick up but she was very responsive, very helpful, and just a pleasure to work with. The developers, the project managers, and the account managers are all exceptionally smart. There’s no dead weight in that company. They do a very good job of hiring smart people.

What did you find most impressive about Fueled?

They get it. They understand the demographic that we’re building this platform for. We’re going after millennials and they understand what millennials need. I also think they do a good job of helping you scale down to what’s actually required. Fueled is not cheap at the end of the day, and my one complaint with them is that they’re incredibly expensive compared to some of their competitors. But they do a good job of helping you spend your money wisely once you commit to going with that expensive option. They’re cool, they’re hip, and they’re a great brand. The people that are running the company are smart.

Are there any areas Fueled could improve?

We did have some concerns when we went through the multiple rounds of Apple rejection. We felt that they were somewhat responsible for guiding us down a path that got us rejected and caused us a couple of weeks of rework, but they were willing to help us alleviate the cost of some of this additional rework. Additionally, we had to work with three project managers over the course of our project. We were only there for six months so they had a pretty substantial turnover with a couple of key people. One thing I did like coming from a technical background is they provide a great deal of transparency. They gave me direct access through Slack to their frontend developer in India and their backend developer in New York. I had meetings directly with them without the account manager present. They let the clients have a good deal of freedom to talk to anybody on their team.

Overall Score Just because of the cost.
    There were a lot of things they promised at a certain time and then they ran out of it. They wouldn’t run out of money, but they would go over schedule. There were definitely some slippages but I will attribute some of that to us and some of that to them.
    They were excellent but very expensive ($200+ an hour). Considering the final scope of our engagement, we could have hired a full team for this cost. We're all first time founders and we needed their guidance, so we're ultimately happy we found them.
    They delivered us nearly flawless code. From a quality perspective, it was surprising to me. I was pleasantly surprised in dealing with Fueled because they really thought of everything and they delivered exceptional code from a quality perspective.
    You’re going to get exceptional quality and service. They are a big agency that is stretched. You’ll have to deal with some hiccups along the way, plus the expense, but as long as you know those parameters going in, they’re worth it.

Application Development for Toy Company

"We know a lot of good programmers but there are very few teams who design as well as Fueled."

Fueled was hired to build an iOS application for a UK based company that would support their existing hardware.

Soumyadip Rakshit
CEO, MysteryVibe

Fueled received a perfect score across the board from the client, noting that their UI/UX [user interface/user experience] design was exceptional and set them apart from other similar providers.

The company is MysteryVibe. I am the Chief Executive Officer.

What challenge were you trying to address with Fueled?

We wanted to make an app which drives our hardware. We make toys for women and we wanted to make an app which is very well designed and appeals to the public. It was a design problem that we wanted to solve.

They created the entire design of the app as well as the build for iOS. They built everything from scratch.

How did you come to work with Fueled?

We found them by looking at a lot of award winning apps that they have built. We were looking for good apps that we already like and tried to find out who built them. That’s how we found them. Then we talked to them here in London. We have a London office, so we talked to them and then they produced it.

How much have you invested with Fueled?

We have spent $500,000.

In the nine months that it has been live, the app has been downloaded more than 150,000 times.

How did Fueled perform from a project management standpoint?

They were really good; they took ownership of everything. They managed everything. They don’t need much guidance and they’re very independent. They also take care of other elements of the app such as submission, and they do a very good job of it.

What did you find most impressive about Fueled?

They’re very diligent, they really care about UX and design. It’s very special and not many developers and designers think that well. It was a very good experience and we still work with them. I have nothing to say which isn’t good. Also, there are a lot of good programmers in their design component. We know a lot of good programmers but there are very few teams who design as well as Fueled.

Are there any areas Fueled could improve?

We hope it’s always faster but I think it’s part of any project. Things always take longer than we planned.

Overall Score I have a really good relationship with Fueled. I’m really glad we worked together.

iOS App Development for Tourism Startup

"The vibe and the energy that I got visiting  Fueled  was  much more exciting than while visiting other app development companies."

Fueled developed and designed a tourist-specific app for the iOS platform that launched in early 2016.

Boston Metro Area
Founder, Tourism Startup

Fueled maintained good communication with the client and showed genuine interest in the project. The client notes some issues with excessive notifications in the app but is confident that the problem will be resolved in future updates.

We are a new app that just launched about a month ago [March 2016]. It provides information in terms of architecture, historical places, and tourist attractions around you.

I'm the founder and CEO.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Fueled?

I'm not a developer, so I needed a team to lead the development and design of my app.

On what platforms is it available?

It's only available on iOS right now.

How did you come to work with Fueled?

There is an app called QuizUp, which is literally my favorite app of all time. I like the functionalities, how it works, and how it never crashes. I did a little bit more research and found out that Fueled made QuizUp. Since it was my favorite app, I wanted to work with the company that built it. That's one of the reasons I contacted Fueled. Also, because of their designs and how they are well known in the industry of app developments. That's why I chose Fueled.

I did go to other agencies as well but, when I was at Fueled, I felt the innovation and the willingness – them wanting to work with you and develop something that people will use. The vibe and the energy that I got visiting  Fueled was much more exciting than while visiting other app development companies.

It was around $50,000 to $200,000.

So far, I haven't done much marketing because the product right now is just in minimum viable product. I haven't included all the features that I envisioned yet.

I'm just going around and meeting with people and getting some feedback – what do you want to see, and what don't you want to see – so I don't have much in terms of metrics to share.

What distinguishes Fueled from other providers?

Fueled's communication is good.

Is there anything Fueled could have improved or done differently?

In the project, there were notification issues that would have been great if that issue didn't happen. If you were to download the app and walk around New York City, you got many notifications for many points of interest, and that was annoying for users. That's something that should have been caught up front, but that's the only thing. It's alright because we'll probably fix it in next version.

Beacon App Development for Verizon Wireless

"The partnership with Fueled was a real collaborative effort."

Fueled helped the client to develop new features for their app, utilizing Bluetooth and Wi-Fi technology to engage customers with a unique in-store user experience.

New York Metro Area
Matthew Reeves
Associate Director, Verizon Wireless

Fueled collaborated with the client’s in-house IT team to create a straightforward user experience on a very strict timeline. They communicated well and offered experienced advice throughout the development process.

I work for Verizon Wireless. I do national operations, and when working with Fueled I actually did national retail operations.

I’m the Associate Director within the National Operations Department.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Fueled?

At the time, we were working towards creating an instore mobile experience for customers that would be unique to the store, utilizing Bluetooth and Wi-Fi technology. We were able to create what I'd say was the initial shell of an instore experience. For example, we already have a parent app “My Verizon Mobile”. When we initially rolled out with our beta, we put some beacons in the store; we rarely use the Wi-Fi access points in the store.

What we wanted Fueled to do was take it to the next level in terms of not just triggering things you can do like checking in and scanning products, but to create more of an experience of going to the store. At the same time, letting customers feel more engaged with the store and the products available.

How did you come to work with Fueled?

I actually was the person that selected Fueled. We looked at a host of different companies. The challenge we found at the time was finding someone that had experience with Bluetooth Beacons and having an understanding of how that would work.

While seeing other companies, some were really good doing video; some were really good with creating a holistic on-the-go app. What it really came down to, in terms of not just styling choices, but the knowledge, Fueled really fit the bill for what we were looking for when building apps. Seeing some of the innovation and creative ways that they approached different apps for different companies is really what helped make the decision to move forward with them.

When it initially started we were in the low range, and based on the work and liking what we were seeing, we went above $50,000.

I wanted to make sure our original IT team helped build it so they could help manage it in the future. The partnership with Fueled was a real collaborative effort. They were patient in terms of working with us and understanding we had some strong ideas about the vision in terms of what we wanted. They were very creative in terms of giving different options. Fueled was really instrumental in helping us tailor the experience that we were looking for. They were a really strong partner in terms of helping us go back and forth on the drawing board, and boiling down what we were trying to do and then making sure it was the simplest, easiest way a customer could go about doing it.

What distinguishes Fueled from other providers?

When we were doing this, we had an extremely aggressive timeline with very limited resources to get it done. We literally ended up having daily calls every morning to make sure to drive it forward. They were great in terms of not just coordinating our project leader, but the design team members as well, from different areas throughout the business. They did a great job.

Is there anything Fueled could have improved or done differently?

We had some passionate discussions in terms of trying find the right approach. That was actually a really good thing. Everybody had strong ideas on what the best approach would be and how to do it. Fueled did a good job of letting us know if they thought we might be steering in the wrong direction, giving pushback when needed, but bringing that pushback and explaining the theory behind why the approach we might be going for might not be the best approach.

We pulled off some magic in the time we had.
    I always like it to be less expensive.
    I was very pleased.

Finance App Development for Startup

"We were bringing together a bunch of different partners, and it was a complex build .... Fueled handled it well."

Fueled developed an app for the iOS platform, with plans to build an Android version in the future.

New York Metro Area
CEO, Finance App Startup

Fueled was able to navigate an intensive development process that involved multiple partners and the high quality standards inherent in developing a finance product, without sacrificing creativity.

Our app is a merger of a commission-free trading platform with a social platform.

I'm the CEO.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Fueled?

We outsourced our app development to Fueled. They handled the entirety of the development process.

Currently, it's just on iOS. It's in the alpha testing period right now. We're planning to release it for Android also.

How did you come to work with Fueled?

We looked at a few agencies. We partnered with Fueled. Their venture wing made an investment in us and that was part of the reason we partnered with them. We also got a great feel from going to their office. We met with the team, and it seemed like the right fit for us.

Our project with Fueled was $200,000-plus.

This is a finance product and it was a complicated build. You're obviously dealing with people's money, so you can't make many mistakes. The front end was not intensive, but the back-end was. We were bringing together a bunch of different partners, and it was a complex build from that perspective. Fueled handled it well.

What distinguishes Fueled from other providers?

Fueled's creativity is probably the biggest thing that stands out to me in terms of branding and the product itself.

Is there anything Fueled could have improved or done differently?

We're not completely done, but from what's gone on so far, not really. I think the process went well.

They're a bit pricey, but I knew that going into it.
    I would definitely recommend them.

InList Mobile Application Design

"They’ll make sure the money you are spending isn’t going towards features or functionality that’s never going to be used."

The client selected Fueled to create a simple, straightforward app for clients in the luxury nightlife market. The app has been through several iterations with Fueled.

Miami Metro Area
Co-Founder, Mobile App Startup

Fueled is praised for its work in the strategy phase of developing the app, including learning the nightlife market, and would be a great fit for startups. The design and functionality of the app have received extremely good feedback, and the client is seeing good usage in the market.

Please describe your company.

We’re a mobile application for discovering upscale nightlife events in international destinations from Las Vegas and New York to London, Paris, and Dubai. It allows members to book reservations, so we have a concierge team that handles those reservations. I’m a tech guy. I’ve been dealing with software for 10 or 12 years and I’ve partnered with somebody who’s been in nightlife for 25 years, so it’s a unique combination, and I think we have a real winner here with the app.

What is your role and responsibilities?

Co-founder.

What was your goal for working with Fueled?

Given that it’s a luxury lifestyle type of industry and market, we needed to be seen as a luxury brand and a leader in the field. We’re dealing with very discerning demographics. The people that go out and book $10,000 tables, they don’t want to look at a cheaply designed app. For those people, their most precious commodity is their time, it’s not their money. So, we designed a very simple and easy to use app that looks opulent from the very beginning. So, that’s why I partnered with Fueled.

Originally, a year and a half ago, the project [had a different name], and we’ve gone through a couple phases already, and this is the latest iteration. The scope of the project has changed a bit with that shift as well. The original concept was a little broader, and we really narrowed down the scope of what the app does. So, it’s really about discovering two to three events per night now, and then being able to book a table. Before it was a little broader, but it’s gone through a few iterations, and now we’re doing really well. Two weeks ago, we had an event with Lenny Kravitz and Katie Holmes.

They designed and developed the iOS application. They also designed the Android version. Due to time constraints, I had my own guys develop the Android app. They have not done a Web version, but we’re looking to have Fueled do the design of our Web platform, and we’re sitting down this week to discuss what the scope of the website will be, whether that’s a full booking platform, or just a company biography.

They’re involved in the strategy phase as well, and they’re quite good at that. They didn’t understand everything about the nightlife industry, but they had a pretty good handle on it the first time I sat down with them. They understood quite a bit about what the app would need to be. I think Fueled is really good at that strategy phase, in helping startups determine what exactly the product market fit should be. It’ll need a little more work afterwards, once you get feedback from users, but I think they get it off a good start.

What was your process for selecting Fueled with which to work?

I was referred by Matt Murphy, he’s the co-founder of lemon.com as well as several other companies. He’s a really good friend of mine. I had a few things I was working on a couple years ago, and he referred me to Fueled about a year and a half ago. He sent me a couple firm names, but he said Fueled was his favorite.

Given that it’s lasted a couple of years, it’s definitely more than $200,000. Included in that amount is several iterations of the app, plus they’ve done other branding work for us.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

The response for the design is phenomenal, extremely sleek, and opulent. People love the design, functionality, and simplicity. So I think we got what we were looking for.

User feedback from the app has been great, we had a few glitches but nothing major. We’re growing. Just yesterday, we got more than a thousand new users, so we’re growing quite quickly.

I think that Fueled does a good job at development, design, and strategy. They understand a lot of different markets, and they’re able to help you find a good product market fit.

Their design talent was great, I think they’re good at finding the right approach. They understand that it’s more about finding a minimum viable product than giving the user a thousand different features that they get frustrated by and eventually stop using it. I think they’re great for startups. They’ll make sure the money you are spending isn’t going towards features or functionality that’s never going to be used.

That’s a tough one because everybody plays a part. Our project was not typical because we lost more than two years, and we changed the scope of the work, and other problems popped up. It may have made more sense for us to have extra developers working on our side that could turn around little patches quicker, but that’s not a criticism of Fueled, it’s just the way the project turned out.

Their designs were always finished on time, but their development wasn’t always finished on time. We’ve had some issues with the development team not responding in time. I don’t know if that’s because our project has been going on for two years
    Very likely.

Award Winning iPad App

"Many people were amazed that something like this [application] was possible to create."

Professionalism:

Oct. - Dec. 2011

Fueled developed a unique, innovative iPad application for a mobile app developer.  The client selected Fueled from a referral, and provided the initial concept.

Greater New York City Area
President, Mobile App Developer

Fueled provided full in-house production and consistent communication throughout the project.  They completed the website’s visual design and coding, and seamlessly synced the website and mobile app.

What was the goal going into the project?

We had a well-planned out idea that just needed a group of top-notch developers to implement.

How did you discover Fueled?

We were referred to Fueled by a friend of the owner of the company.

What was the scope of the project?

We approached Fueled with an initial set of wireframes and concepts. Fueled created a more detailed set of wireframes, completed the visual design, and coded the entire backend of the application. Finally, Fueled also developed a website frontend that mimics the mobile app's functionality. The entire process took about nine weeks.

What were the results of the project?

The application has been received great reviews from media outlets and consumers alike. Since there hasn't been an app like this created before, many people were amazed that something like this was possible to create.

What is unique about Fueled?

Fueled provided us with a single point of contact for communication and to deal with any issues. This made communication very consistent during the entire project. Fueled produced everything in-house, and can offer a full suite of understanding, giving the application a consistent look and feel.

Is there anything that Fueled could improve?

Since they have a very high workload, they are sometimes a bit stretched, and projects can take a little extra time.

I have recommended Fueled, and they continue to work on developing a new version of our application.