Building quality and affordable apps and websites

At Founders Approach, we understand startups and small businesses because we have built multiple ones ourselves. My co-founder and I quit our full-time jobs to build and launch a mobile app. We grew to 50k users and 7.5k businesses on the platform. We focused on the lean startup methodology where you build simple and iterate quickly.

We understand what it takes to launch and scale a business and we have taken everything we learned to help startups and small businesses, who have tech needs such as apps, websites, or other platforms.

We know that every business has different needs and we are flexible to cater to your needs. We know that people a tight budgets, strict deadlines, and needs for tech to scale their business. We work with you to narrow down your needs within your timeline and budget. We pride ourselves on communication and transparency, which is important to building a successul product. We want to partner with you to scale and grow your business.

Baltimore, MD

Loople - Crowd sourced data about hospitality industry. 50k users and 7.5 users in Baltimore.

Cloud Based POS System - Full cloud tablet based pos system in active restaurant.

Captive Wifi Portal - Email capture and marketing tool for businesses.

Napp - On-demand babysitting app in Baltimore, MD.

Breakers League - Two sided platform for clients to sell and users to buy with Paypal integration.

Custom Software Development for Digital Agency

“They’re a great partner, and more importantly, great people.”

Jan. 2017 - Ongoing

Founders Approach partners with a digital marketing business to develop software for third-party clients. After a collaborative discovery phase, their design team delivers final mockups for approval.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Director, Digital Agency

Founders Approach has become an invaluable extension of the client’s own team. Their exceptional project management and technical expertise allow the business to take on bigger projects. They’ve showcased amazing dedication, and they’ll continue to be a critical business partner for future projects.

I’m the founder of a web development and digital marketing company. We primarily and originally focused on web design and development as well as PPC/SEO management.

What challenge were you trying to address with Founders Approach?

About three years ago, our services started to shift toward software development. We have an internal team—but we decided to partner with Founders Approach on development-heavy projects because we thought they’d be an invaluable value-add.

We decided to work with them for our first major project—developing a POS system—and they did such a fantastic job that they continue to be an extension of my own team. So far, we’ve collaborated with them to create CRMs, recruiting platforms, and backend management systems.

We usually rely on Founders Approach’s design team. Typically, after a discovery call with the client, we’d come together to brainstorm ideas. Phil (Lead Project Manager, Founders Approach) then takes these ideas back to his design team. He’ll come back to me with mockups and final designs, which my team approves.

Although it depends on the project, we frequently use CodeIgniter for developing web applications. For mobile projects (although we confirm with the client whether they’re looking for an iOS or Android product) we often use React Native.

Phil is my main point of contact, although I also communicate with his partner Dave (Chief Marketing Officer, Founders Approach). They primarily leverage an overseas Indian organization for development and programming resources.

How did you come to work with Founders Approach?

Phil and I go all the way back. We split ways in college, but we kept in touch because we were doing something similar professionally.

We officially began to collaborate at a time where my own company was really growing. It was just me and my partner, but we kept on getting referrals for larger-scale projects. I decided to give Phil a shot based on his proposal, his diligence, and the trust I had in him. He delivered beyond expectations—and that’s why we’ve kept it rolling, to this day.

We’ve done everything from four to six figures. Our projects haven’t reached a million, but an upcoming project will roughly be $350,000.

We began working together in January 2017, and we have an ongoing partnership.

They’ve become a direct extension of my team as they’ve been able to deliver on all of their promises. With their help, I’ve been able to take on big projects, knowing that they’re going to be delivered well. They’ve delivered to our clients beyond expectation.

Phil is an entrepreneur at heart and has been incredibly helpful in the discovery phases. He’s an exceptional project manager with great sales skills. That means he’s able to secure us a lot of business in all the meetings we have together.

How did Founders Approach perform from a project management standpoint?

Phil has done a phenomenal job of putting together the platform and tools we use for project management. We primarily use Trello to track all tasks, which are organized in a particular format which we use for every project. We all use Slack to communicate, and, leveraging tools with Zapier, we’re able to connect that Trello board with Slack. Thanks to Founders Approach, we’ve been able to keep projects on their respective timelines.

Their response time, their dedication to the project, and their dedication to us—essentially, their loyalty—have made them exceptional to work with. They’re a great partner, and more importantly, great people.

No, I think they’re doing all the right things. It only comes down to internal resource management, which only improves with time.

Don’t think twice about it.

App Development for Electronic Beach Tags App

"They are absolutely a first-class outfit and will move your project forward with competence and diligence."

Nov. 2018 - June 2019

Founders Approach developed a mobile app for an electronic beach tags app. Their team was responsible for UI design and beta testing.

Haddonfield, New Jersey
President & CEO, Electronic Beach Tags App

Beta tests of the app have yielded positive feedback from consumers. Founders Approach creates a stream of constant communication to streamline the process, leading to a successful working relationship. Their team is able to create quality work within a short timeframe.

Not applicable.

For what projects/services did your company hire Founders Approach?

We needed a company to design and build a mobile application pursuant to our specifications. The application required both a graphical user interface, and connectivity to a back-end database. We also needed third-party payment integration and connectivity between users.

The goal was to have the mobile applications built and ready to go by June 1, 2019. We wanted a clean and organized user interface.

We sorted through hundreds of online proposals using a third-party website. We found most other companies to be either unresponsive, or ill equipped to handle a project of this magnitude and this complexity, within the budget we provided. Once we spoke to the team at Founders Approach, we immediately recognized their unique approach to app development and were given a comfort level regarding their ability to handle this project. Their fees were very reasonable and they stuck to their word in every instance.

Once we signed on with Founders Approach, we began regular telephone meetings to discuss the idea and the general design of the mobile application. We received initial design UI mock-ups within one week, and screenshots of the actual UI shortly thereafter. Working with Founders Approach, we reviewed various functioning beta versions of the app over the ensuing months and were able to work out UI issues and various bugs. In the end, we were provided with a fully-functioning app that met all of our design goals and functions flawlessly. The app came in within the original budget we agreed to.

We dealt primarily with Dave. He was very diligent in following up on every aspect of the project. Not a single email or phone call ever went unanswered. He could not have been better in moving this along and getting us to the end as quickly as possible.

We have received very positive feedback from everyone who has previewed the application. We have thoroughly beta tested the final version of the app and it works flawlessly. We intend to start marketing the application in the coming weeks.

The workflow was outstanding. Dave was in constant communications with us during the build and development process. We never had to follow-up more than once and we never were unable to communicate with Dave when we needed to. The whole process was absolutely flawless.

The most impressive aspect of our work with Founders Approach was level of service we received, especially given the competitive price we were quoted. Founders Approach gave us better, more customized service than other companies that literally charge two to three times more. They are absolutely a first-class outfit and will move your project forward with competence and diligence. My partner and I constantly remarked during the process about how thorough the team at Founders Approach was and how pleased we were with their service.

There are literally no areas I can see for improvement. We gave them a very strict deadline, a very complicated app to develop, and a very soft budget, by they came through x1,000. Personally, they are one of the best companies I have ever done business with, period.

Development for a Meditation Studio

“They're very approachable and easy to work with.”

May 2019 - Ongoing

Using the designs provided by the in-house team, Founders Approach developed an app for an iPad. The app can be used to run in-studio self-guided meditation sessions.

Maria Stratakis
Co Founder, Kala Mobile Meditation Studio

The app functions as expected and the in-house team is happy with the customer service they received. Founders Approach met all needs, while their ability to meet tight deadlines made them a reliable partner.

I'm a co-founder of Kala Mobile Meditation Studio. We're a mobile business and we offer individual meditation sessions. We use a tablet and headphones for our self-guided sessions, so each guest can select their meditation session from the menu on our tablet.

What challenge were you trying to address with Founders Approach?

We were looking for a vendor to develop an app for us to use in our studio.

We gave Founders Approach our audio files, the designs, and the logo, and they built an app for us. The app allows our guests to use an iPad to select a 15-minute meditation session from our menu. We don't have Wi-Fi in our studio, so we wanted to have something that is simple and plays an audio directly from the app. We also wanted the app to be user-friendly and intuitive.

We have one main point of contact.

How did you come to work with Founders Approach?

Founders Approach was referred to us by someone who shared a co-working space with them. Their prices were in line with our budget and we liked their personable approach, so we decided to work with them.

We've spent about $7,000.

We started working with Founders Approach in May 2019 and the relationship is ongoing.

Founders Approach delivered the app on a tight deadline and we haven't experienced any issues with the functionality. They even offered to come to our studio and try the app out to see how it works.

How did Founders Approach perform from a project management standpoint?

The communication has been great. We mostly use email and text to stay in touch and we use Trello for project management.

They're very approachable and easy to work with. We don't have a tech background, but Founders Approach has made the process very simple for us.

I can't think of anything. They're a great team to work with.

Mobile App Development for Social Media Company

“They delivered a fully functioning app.”

Jan. - July 2019

Founders Approach provided mobile application design and development, working on a social media project. They build the app’s code, ensuring it stayed in the company’s name, and launched it on the App Store.

Hilo, Hawaii
Malama Mckeague
Owner, Caption This LLC

The team at Founders Approach produced an excellent solution, generating a fully functioning application and ensuring the in-house team understood the process. They managed the work well, communicating smoothly and bringing the company’s idea to life.

I’m the owner of a social media company called Caption This, which allows users to increase their following on social media by generating great captions.

For what projects/services did your company hire Founders Approach?

We needed a team to handle the full development of our mobile application.

To launch with a product that would attract and retain users because of its ease of use and value-added.

I found them on Upwork. I interviewed several other freelancers and companies, but they didn't seem to have nearly the same industry knowledge that the Founder Approach team did.

They handled every step of development, making sure all the code was in an account in my name. That allowed me to breathe easy knowing that I was in complete control of the work that they were doing.

They also walked me through the setting up of our Apple Developer in order to launch in the App Store. It really helped as a person who is new to the space and allowed me to learn about each aspect of the process in its entirety.

I mainly worked with Dave (Co-founder, Founders Approach). We discussed what needed to be added and changed within the app, then he would send the required tasks to his team.

This project has been such a great experience for my business. The amount of knowledge that I’ve gained itself was probably what I paid them to build the app. On top of that, they delivered a fully functioning app that is now on the App Store.

Dave was a super effective communicator for both sides. It was very easy to discuss what features I thought were necessary, and we used tools like GitHub to ensure that the code was in my name.

Their ability to take an idea and bring it to life impressed me. From the first phone call, they were immediately interested in my idea, giving us tips before we were even under contract. Their main goal was to see us succeed, which meant they did most of the heavy lifting; all we needed was our idea.

I didn’t come across anything. They were on it 24/7; whatever I needed they were ready and willing.

Overall Score Great team, great people, and great work.
    It was super easy to set up conference calls.
    They allowed the work to be done over a longer period for cheaper.
    Everything in the app was clean; easy to read and understand.
    I will refer them to anyone interested in creating a mobile application.

Website Development for Motorcycle Enthusiasts

"I’m looking forward to continued development and growth with the Founders Approach team."

May - July 2019

Founders Approach developed, designed, and iterated a new website intended to connect motorcycle enthusiasts. They continue to provide regular support and updates.

Cole Barger
Founder, Bikealerts LLC

User feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. Founders Approach corrected bugs quickly and responded equally as promptly to other concerns. The team's ability to adapt to a flexible communication schedule and their can-do attitude were hallmarks of their work.

I’m the founder of Bikealerts LLC, a web-based mobile app and website company in the motorcycle industry, and bikemeets.com.

For what projects/services did your company hire Founders Approach?

I needed to hire an external resource to develop a new web platform intended to help connect motorcycle enthusiasts to get out and ride together.

I wanted to launch an MVP website for validation of my startup idea.

I found them through a local Google search.

Founders Approach held an opening call to discuss my concept and provide a recommendation on what to do next. We ironed out the details of the scope, anticipated hours, and a fixed rate cost of development. Throughout the development, we had regular calls to exchange notes, questions, and feedback as they progressed to the final product.

Upon delivery, Founders Approach offered continued support via a "Do Not Exceed" program. I set a monthly budget for continued communication and regular updates.

I worked with Dave (Chief Marketing Officer, Founders Approach) as my project lead. He took my feedback and executed it with the development team. Philip (Lead Project Manager, Founders Approach) was also involved as needed.

We just officially launched our website this week and have begun to drive traffic to the platform. We've not experienced any bugs, and user feedback has been very positive. I’m looking forward to continued development and growth with the Founders Approach team.

The workflow was very productive. Founders Approach held a weekly video conference on a flexible schedule. That provided us the time we needed to hash out feedback, questions, and recommendations. All updates were visible to me on a Trillo board, and Dave took care of all my requests in a timely manner.

Most impressive was their shared passion for my idea and the flexibility of regular check-ins. I really appreciated Founders Approach’s willingness to schedule face-to-face interaction upon request as well as regular video conferences.

None at this time. I very much enjoyed working with Dave & Philip.

Overall Score It was a great experience.
    Scheduling was easy and flexible.
    The up front fixed rate was fair.
    They're exactly what I was looking for.
    I'm very likely to recommend them.

Mobile App Dev for Babysitting Platform

"They are true cheerleaders to our company, always bringing positive and motivational perspectives to development."

Oct. 2018 - Ongoing

Founders Approach helped maintain and develop additional features for an existing mobile app. The scope expanded to include Stripe and Mixpanel integrations and geolocation functions. The project is ongoing.

Claire Alexandra Cianos
Co-Founder, Napp

The team consistently delivers high-quality features and fixes to the app, leading to a continued relationship. Professional and experienced, Founders Approach adapts to scope changes and hard budgets and timelines. Regular communication and expert insights contribute to a smooth workflow.

Napp is an on-demand babysitting mobile app connecting local families with background checked and community involved sitters. I am the Co-Founder at the company.

For what projects/services did your company hire Founders Approach?

Napp hired Founders Approach as development consultants to continue building Napp's mobile application.

Our goals were to secure a supportive and like-minded team that would help us plan and integrate new features and development of our mobile app after launching v1 to the market.

We found Founders Approach through an ad I placed on UpWork - we were so impressed with their portfolio and response rate and it turned out we were in the same co-working space here in Baltimore!

Founders Approach has provided nothing but the most professional and seamless approach to development - exactly what our team needed. We came to them with some basic needs, at first, maintenance-type tasks, but we were so quickly impressed with their skill and project management, that we continued developing larger features, such as Stripe and Mixpanel integrations and geolocation, down to admin fixes that quickly improved our efficiency and productivity as a company,

The team consisted of 3-4 people. We worked mostly with two Co-Founders to plan and budget each sprint as well as communicated with 2 others that were working for Founders Approach on development.

We are so thrilled to have the development relationship we have with Founders Approach. They are responsive, professional, and workable with our timeline and budget. They are always helping us decipher feedback and user response to our launched features and mobile app, and always go above and beyond to help us analyze, understand, and improve our product.

We project managed our sprints through Trello and communicated frequently through Slack, it was extremely efficient and always well-organized and updated.

Their support and professionalism. They are true cheerleaders to our company, always bringing positive and motivational perspectives to development.

I can't thing of even one!

Product Consulting for Competitive Intelligence & Market Research Startup

"They carry themselves with a level of genuine professionalism and skill that I haven’t seen before."

Jan. 2019 - Feb. 2019

Founders Approach refined a product vision to create a detailed roadmap. They identified areas of scalability, the target audience, and technical requirements. Their services included testing the product.

Alex
Co-Founder, Arbit, Inc.

Now, internal stakeholders have an actionable product strategy for the coming months. Founders Approach’s insight offered a greater understanding of the addressable problem. They are a responsible team that dedicates themselves to the task at hand. It was easy to collaborate with them.

My company, Arbit, is a competitive intelligence startup. I am the co-founder.

For what projects/services did your company hire Founders Approach?

As we transitioned Arbit further as a business, we needed to understand how we could build out our product better. Founders Approach was used to leverage there remarkable sense for thinking through problems, understanding the user experience, and scaling products.

We wanted to go from a very basic product to a roadmap we could confidently run with that would allow us to scale up our business quickly. Our heads were in the weeds about how to shape our product and we relied on Dave and Phil to consult with us on tweaking our product and figuring out the most important aspects to focus on building.

Arbit's gone through many iterations in the last two years. While I've always held side discussions around product concepts with Dave and Phil, I truly leaned on them at the start of this year to help us flesh out our product and where we wanted to take it. Their technical knowledge as well knowledge for different markets is unmatched in the startup ecosystem and they were a great fit.

Once we selected Dave and Phil, we connected with them on calls, met with them in person, had them test our product, identify areas of scalability, think through our target customer base, and build a product roadmap from there. They have been one of our greatest investments to date.

It was mostly my co-founder and I working closely with Dave and Phil.

We were able to confidently strategize our next 6 months to a year with our product, understand what requirements were needed from a technical perspective, gain a deeper understanding of the problem we were solving (and what market to address). Overall, it was mostly having a fresh set of eyes that know startups better than most people do. They see things you aren't privy to. They carry themselves professionally like they're genuinely on your team.

Workflow was easy. Between calls, emails, and in person meetings, they are on top of the workflows and are super smooth to work with.

Dave and Phil care more about solving your problems than a typical consulting firm would. They carry themselves with a level of genuine professionalism and skill that I haven't seen before.

I can't say there are to be honest.