Conversation Design for People

Formulate is a conversation design firm that eliminates the speed bumps between "hello" and "yes" for firms that want growth. We create a conversation and connections with your customers.

Our philosophy is built around conversations that open eyes, minds, and dialogues.

At Formulate, we craft stories that educate audiences and turn tired customer journeys into delightful adventures through design. We can even make your bots earn their keep in assisting customers and converting prospects.

2018
Seattle, WA
  • 2015 2nd Ave #1403
    Seattle, WA 98121

Bastyr University, Admark, Double Z Media, Quest Partners, One Oak Capital, MintBiology, Hedgeco Websites, OptiMind, Alternascript
A Standout Branded Website Image

A Standout Branded Website

We partnered with a Seattle Ad agency to secure its online impression.  We worked with the Double Z team to create their company personality and unique attributes that set them apart.  We designed the logo, icons, co-drafted copy, and developed their site in Webflow.

Conversion-Crushing iOS App Image

Conversion-Crushing iOS App

We designed Expendly's new iOS app with functional user flows that tell a story and smooth screen designs inspired by all the practical ways its community saves time and energy on it.

Event Page for LivePerson Image

Event Page for LivePerson

LivePerson and EqualAI reached out to Formulate to deliver a buzzworthy, must-attend event in Seattle.  We brought the client together with leaders across business, technology, and academia to focus on correcting and preventing unconscious bias in the development of artificial intelligence.
We created a campaign, with a landing page and a series of emails to generate awareness and book attendees.

Book a call with

Formulate today, and cross event marketing off your to-do list.  At Formulate, there is no need to hire designers, copywriters, email marketers.  We'll do it all for you.

World's Best Product Launch Image

World's Best Product Launch

We put a spotlight on OptiMind's fast-acting brain fitness and hydration mix with high-performance content and vivid visuals. Because—pretty much everyone needs to get going, focus, and remember things. The future of water is here!

Drove design of the mobile-optimized web site and conveyed new product features through UX Writing and Design Thinking.  Operated as the bridge between UX, Product, and Marketing

driving a focus on customer-centered solutions and experiences.  Worked iteratively in the collaborative development of copy, design, and interfaces with an actionable understanding of the user persona and problem scenarios.

Collaborative cross-functional interactions between stakeholders and team members kept the project moving.  Astute problem solving moved the project forward when faced with third-party disruptions.

Venturously Entering New Financial Fronts Image

Venturously Entering New Financial Fronts

Venchuer and Hedgeco partnered with Formulate to create an innovative new investment offering.  The Formulate team explored creative choices to target the critical Millennial audience, setting the firm apart from the crowd through brand-positioning design.

Bastyr University - Landing pages Image

Bastyr University - Landing pages

For Bastyr University, we told the stories of students who are changing the way medicine is practiced with a series of short videos, on-campus photography, and landing pages that connect with other—aspiring students who want to fulfill their dreams of creating a healthier world.

Branding & Web Development for Investment Management Co.

"The work is always thorough, and it’s delivered on time."

Jan. 2015 - Ongoing

Formulate provides ongoing branding and marketing services to a hedge fund. This included developing a new website and other marketing collateral.

Steve Ditursi
CEO, One Oak Capital Management LLC

As a result of Formulate’s work, the client was able to get vital funding early in their business. The team at Formulate is creative, collaborative, and communicative. They’re passionate about their work and provide unique solutions.

I’m the CEO of a hedge fund.

What challenge were you trying to address with Formulate?

We commissioned them to provide branding services.

They provided a variety of services including a new website, copywriting, and marketing collateral. They pinpointed our value propositions after talking to our shareholders and brought a new sense of creativity to our brand. Over the past several years, they’ve put together four marketing decks.

They’re also doing another website right now for our sister company.

I have one main point of contact, Michelle (Digital Strategy Director).

How did you come to work with Formulate?

When I started my firm, Michelle was working for one of the allocators that I was managing money for. I got to know her that way and eventually decided to reach out to her.

I’ve spent between $50,000–$200,000.

I started working with Michelle about five years ago, and our relationship is ongoing.

The marketing materials that they put together helped me raise a decent amount of money in the early stages of my company. I got positive feedback on my branding. I think it was very powerful.

How did Formulate perform from a project management standpoint?

They have strong project management skills. The work is always thorough, and it’s delivered on time. Michelle has never been late.

They love what they do, and the passion shows through in their work. I’ve referred Formulate to multiple people because I’m so happy with the relationship.

No, I’m really happy overall. I appreciate the creativity that she brings to my business.

Make Formulate feel like part of the team and allow them to work creatively.

Branding & Asset Marketing Strategy for Data Intel Firm

"Their efficiency is the most impressive."

Aug. 2017 - Ongoing

In an ongoing collaboration, Formulate created the entire brand, asset strategy, and marketing strategy for a data intel firm. They also provided partner-level guidance throughout the entire process.

Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina
Marcus Martin
Co-Founder & Chairman, Anchor Digital

Formulate helped the client exceed the beta testing goal, giving a 300% return on the number of beta testers originally hoped for. The team has excellent communication skills and strong discipline. They take a partnership-oriented approach and deliver exactly what is asked of them.

I’m the CEO and co-founder of Anchor Digital, a FinTech software solutions firm.

What challenge were you trying to address with Formulate?

We hired Formulate to create the entire brand, asset strategy, and the entire marketing strategy.

We rolled into using their organization to initiate and build out the design and feel of the majority of the UX for our actual web-based software. Along with branding, they provided partner-level guidance from the initial ideation to the final production of the brand. They executed brand strategy between social media strategies and campaigns. They helped identify focal campaigns that were also regulatory compliant. Michelle (Digital Strategy Director) works as our CMO and really looks into our organization and helps from the organizational level to implement branding and marketing strategies across social media and targeted into financial services.

Michelle and at least three other individuals including designers and programmers.

How did you come to work with Formulate?

Formulate was referred to us by someone who has used them in the past. We got to talking and Michelle, with her experience and background level, seemed to make a really great partner.

The project began in August 2017 and is currently ongoing, but I have worked with Michelle before.

Michelle really helped us exceed our goal of getting beta testers and gave us a 300% return on the number of testers we were seeking. That has really provided us the runway with multiple conversations we’re currently having with some of the B2B contracts were hoping to close.

How did Formulate perform from a project management standpoint?

Michelle has a strong discipline and the team has a strong leader. They follow and deliver and are very good at communicating to the entire team as well. Our entire team has always been very pleased with the level of communication and it has been critical to the process; there haven’t been any misunderstandings.

Their efficiency is the most impressive. There is nothing they could do to improve from a partnership perspective.

It would have been beneficial if there were more ways we could use them in other areas of our tech stack instead of having to hire other consultants or facilitators.

Be as organized as possible because the team really does execute what you tell them. If you’re not sure about what you want and you’re new, it’s worth doing more of you’re own work ahead of time because that agile process could be dangerous.

Branding & Design Services for Media Buying Firm

“Michelle stays on top of things and doesn’t stop until something is done to the client’s satisfaction.”

Aug. 2018 - Ongoing

Formulate provides branding and design services for a media buying agency and their clients. Their projects have included landing pages, logos, business cards, copywriting, photoshoots, and videography.

Seattle, Washington
Laura Szczes
Owner, Double Z Media

The design efforts have had a positive impact and the landing pages, in particular, have increased conversion rates. By taking the time to fully understand a client, Formulate successfully captures and depicts their mood and identity. Professionalism and responsiveness are hallmarks of their work.

I’m the owner of Double Z Media. We’re a media buying agency that buys digital and traditional media for clients.

What challenge were you trying to address with Formulate?

I hired Formulate to handle design efforts for my clients but they also do projects for us internally.

Formulate has provided an array of services for my clients including branding, photoshoots, videography, and landing page designs. For my company, they designed our logo, website, business cards, and other marketing collateral. They also did some copywriting and will be doing SEO soon.

They have a great process. First, they ask a lot of questions to get a feel for our brand style. For example, I expressed I really liked the color green and saw that incorporated in the final deliverables.

I work directly with Michelle (Digital Strategy Director).

How did you come to work with Formulate?

Michelle was recommended to me by a professor. He thought we would collaborate well because she does design and I do media.

I’ve invested between $20,000–$50,000.

Our partnership started in August 2018, and it’s ongoing.

The landing pages she created for my client were out-performing the other web pages. The call to action’s conversion rate was three times more than prior to the engagement. We’re super happy.

Michelle is very professional. She encapsulates an individual's mood and image into the design. I've even brought her to client meetings, and she has a way of relaying the feel of a company.

She stays on-trend and thinks about what the competition is doing. In essence, Michelle does a full brand discovery process, but it’s so natural that it seems effortless. She does her research and always comes prepared. She’s a copywriter so the way she crafts language is top-notch.

How did Formulate perform from a project management standpoint?

Project management has gone very well. Michelle stays on top of things and doesn’t stop until something is done to the client’s satisfaction, even if it means working extra hours. She wants everyone to be happy. What’s more, she’s responsive and organized.

Michelle has an impressive willingness to understand a brand instead of making them into something they’re not. She listens in order to understand what a client is trying to understand. She finds the best part of ideas and does a deep dive during discovery. Michelle is always present and thinks about the project and brand as a whole.

No, there isn’t anything.

Michelle is easy to work with, and I’ve referred her many times. Formulate provides a wide range of services ranging from writing to design aesthetics. She’ll work within your budget and has experience with all business sizes.

Branding & Web Development for Investment Fund

“They were familiar with our industry and excellent at building a brand to match a target market.”

May 2015 - Mar. 2016

Formulate provided branding services to an investment fund. To increase the client’s online presence, they built logos, designed color palettes, handled copywriting, and developed code.

Chris Rocke
Founder & CEO, Vencheur

The customer was thoroughly satisfied with the quality of work provided, stating that the clearly-defined brand better allowed them to connect with their target market. All requirements were met, and the project was well-managed by a singular point of contact.

I’m the founder and CEO of an investment fund for the average, everyday investor.

What challenge were you trying to address with Formulate?

We needed a team that could take my vision and translate it into an online platform.

From the ground up, they developed an online platform and presence for my company and concept. Prior to partnering with them, we only had the name and website domain. We were looking for a one-stop-shop for getting our company online. That involved building logos, color palettes, copywriting, and code that would facilitate functionality.

We spent a lot of time conversing about various branding aspects to ensure that she was effectively building my vision. Additionally, they were tasked with integrating online signatures, which was a challenge at the time. They also incorporated payment and redemption methods.

I worked directly with Michelle (Digital Strategy Director), but she had others on her team that were staffed to the project.

How did you come to work with Formulate?

We were referred to them by a former business partner of ours. Michelle had a financial background, so she understood both the design and financial challenges that impacted the project.

We spent between $25,000–$30,000. I didn’t limit their team with a budget because I wanted to encourage them to take my vision online to the best of their ability.

We worked together from around June 2015–March 2016. I wanted to give them some flexibility with the timeline to allow for optimal creativity.

In this day in age, a company website is a brand. They were able to provide us with a brand identity that appealed directly to our target market through logo design and copywriting. We engaged those who were interested in investing and gave them a way to participate in a fund without the barriers to entry.

The quality of work was outstanding. Whenever we ran into an issue, they quickly and easily corrected it. Billing was accurate and on-time. They incorporated all of our requests. The look and feel were refined and modern. I was very impressed with everything from the fonts to the linking between pages.

How did Formulate perform from a project management standpoint?

Michelle did a great job delegating tasks to her team while serving as my central point of contact. I was happy to just deal with one person instead of an entire team. She made that work by closely listening to my needs and conveying them to her larger team. Because of her expert project management work, I fully intend to go straight to their services for future projects. We managed our communication through phone calls, email, and text messages.

They were familiar with our industry and excellent at building a brand to match a target market. Their willingness to understand our needs and intelligence in executing them really stood out. As my main point of contact, Michelle was a wonderful person to work with.

We approved of everything she did. I treated her as an extension of the firm because I had a great deal of trust in her. There was no need for deadlines and strict budget restrictions. The time difference was a little challenging but that wasn’t a problem at all.

Make sure you allow her processing time to generate quality work. While I’m certain she could handle rush jobs, the product will be most optimal if you give her time.

I’ve recommended her to others before.