Mean MVP Machine

We work with founders at their idea stage and help them turn their idea into a beautiful robust scalable product in 4 weeks.

Teynampet, Chennai, India

SkyMD

Offprint

SweatPass

Web Design for Indian Exam Study Aid

"The collaboration with F22 Labs was very good."

Nov. 2016 - Ongoing

F22 Labs is building a first-ever web platform for coaching on upcoming exams. After being given design specifications, the team created a project plan and is now developing the site in full.

Startup

New Delhi Area, India
Founder, Study Aid Company

F22 Labs has assigned a single project manager to the work who communicates often and responds to questions. The team was flexible when asked for additional features in the development.

We are an Indian startup working with college graduates looking to pass government exams. This is a huge market given that government jobs have good security. We provide online coaching for those exams, as well as documentation which is very much needed, but not available elsewhere.

I am a co-founder of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with F22 Labs?

We had an idea and needed to build a website.

We provided design specifications, which were used by F22 Labs for building a project plan and developing the website.

How did you come to work with F22 Labs?

F22 Labs was recommended to me by a friend who had built a website using their services. F22 Labs' design capabilities were very good compared to other companies I contacted. The site's main page lists questions divided into topics. The functionality is unique, and it needed to be built correctly.

How much have you invested with F22 Labs?

The cost of F22 Labs' work was between $10,000 and $15,000. The work was paid in installments.

The first discussions with F22 Labs took place in November 2016. The work started in December and is still ongoing.

The collaboration with F22 Labs was very good. They responded to my questions and kept me up to date.

How did F22 Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

F22 Labs assigned a project manager who kept in touch with me. There were some additional features that I wanted to build, which I didn't include in the original specs. F22 Labs was flexible in this regard.

What did you find most impressive about F22 Labs?

F22 Labs understood my idea quickly and had good responsiveness compared to some of the other companies I contacted.

Are there any areas F22 Labs could improve?

F22 Labs was very flexible and available.
    Cost is hard to judge, but I've appreciated F22 Labs' flexibility.
    The project is still ongoing, but I've been satisfied so far.

Web App Development for Sports Entrepreneur

"I've been working with their team for a while now, and I knew they were reliable."

Sept. 2016 - Ongoing

Rec Ratings outsourced F22 Labs for the development of a minimum viable product web application on HTML5 that rates youth sports clubs and coaches. They used Ruby on Rails for the framework and hosted on AWS.

Tyree Burks
CEO, Rec Ratings

F22 Labs produced a high-quality website with more than 11,000 users and stayed within the set budget parameters. The team was quick to resolve issues, knowledgeable and open for communications.

Rec Ratings is structured like Yelp and looks at youth sports clubs and coaches. Parents can go on and rate the club organizations or sports clubs that their kids play for and can rate the coaches who coach them. I am the CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with F22 Labs?

I wanted to launch an MVP [minimum viable product] version of the app in a short amount of time. I had a set budget that I had to get the application built. I already had our UI/UX [user interface/user experience] developers build it. I just needed a dependable development resource. I've been working with their team for a while now, and I knew they were reliable. I came to them with a project and, almost 7 weeks later, it will be live. I couldn't be happier.

It's a web app on HTML5. They used Ruby on Rails for the framework. It's hosted on AWS [Amazon Web Services].

How did you come to work with F22 Labs?

About 5 years ago, I started a company called Team Interval. It was a communications system for sports teams. They built my first application that I ever launched to market – from soup to nuts. I worked with them almost 2 years. I decided to exit that company, and I started another company. Now, I'm starting another company and decided to come back to F22 Labs to build this new app.

How much have you invested with F22 Labs?

The project cost is between $10,000 and $20,000.

They're going to continue building. They got my MVP version. We'll build up to a true 1.0 version. We're going to be in beta for the next six months [as of November 2016], we'll come out of beta around summertime, and they'll launch our more responsive iOS and Android versions of the application. I thought of this idea in September [2016], and they started in mid-September.

We have more than 11,000 users on the site. Everything's been good. I'm eager to keep building on this project. I work in the sports space. I own another company called Player's Health. There, we have 200,000 players on our platform and parents. I didn't draw on the 200,000 parents that I have to rate it yet. I can't say we've extensively tested the application, but the first test we had was successful.

How did F22 Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

The communication is good, but it could definitely be better. We communicated everything on Trello, which was good. We talked every other day. You can find things to nitpick, but it was a short project. The communication was open. Whenever I found some bugs, I put together a bug feature list. They knocked them out within 24 hours and gave me a status on everything.

What did you find most impressive about F22 Labs?

I think it's their speed. I outsource all of my development to two different shops for different applications. For both of the companies I have its speed but F22 – to get this project thrown in their lap 8 weeks ago and to have it live and ready to go almost bug-free – I think it says a lot about the company. Mutual [Cutup, partner at F22 Labs] is very smart, the team thinks about how the application could scale, and they were excited about the project. They are open in communicating. That's one of their best qualities, too.

Are there any areas F22 Labs could improve?

Of course, they document the code and everything. However, I want to have my entire API [application programming interface] documented out so that my next developer could pop in and do all that.

Overall Score I trust these guys. The communication is good. If they say we're looking at this framework and you ask why, they give you legitimate answers because you know they thought through it.
    We were a couple weeks off due to a number of factors.
    If they give you a quote for a project, they stick to it. If there's any other added features or change of scope, you'll know about it. They're not going to be halfway through the project and say they need to charge me $20,000 more.
    They care about the project. If it comes to them, they want to see their name on good-quality work. It's not just a task to them.
    They're one of the best resources you can have for anyone getting your product to market. I think if you have a startup, you're low on capital, and you need someone reliable, these are the guys you to go to.

Development for Fitness Website

"I think it was a great overall experience. We were happy to work with them and I think they were enthusiastic about the project. We’d be excited to do it all again."

F22 Labs was hired to create a desktop website as well as a mobile optimized website for fitness activities. They brought the idea from conception to completion.

Principal, Fitness Website

F22 Labs performed well across the board, despite the client's limited engagement with them.The quality of their work was high, and the only real downside was that they were not working in the same time zone.

I’m a venture capital investor.

What business challenge were you trying to address with F22 Labs?

This was a side project; we were trying to create a marketplace for fitness activities. F22 was really the backend and front end platform for that.

They were basically involved right from the beginning from idea conception all the way through to final release. The services that they were providing were primarily backend development. We had a pretty good idea about how we wanted this site to look and it was a desktop website as well as a mobile optimized website so no app. We had a pretty good idea of how we wanted it to look. We had a few initial kind of photo shopped mockups but they took those mockups and developed a working front end and also like a working backend. From start to finish it was an 8-week engagement. We were really happy with the results.

How did you come to work with F22 Labs?

I got introduced to them through a mutual friend who had worked with them at another company. I trusted her and her judgement and given that they had a working history I was willing to give them a shot. I had benchmarked them against three other firms that were offering the same services these guys were. They just seemed to be able to get things done quicker than some other providers. I think the quality was good too.

Ballpark it was between $10,000 and $15,000. That was between one to three developers at any time working on the project. We flexed up at various points and flexed back down.

We launched January or February of last year.

We launched the product, and it was definitely an on-time launch. The user feedback that we got was really positive. Everyone was happy - at least the users that we had were happy with the initial launch. We actually decided to shutter the project, nothing related to F22 but for business reasons a few months later we decided to not move forward. This was a beta test to see if there was a market there. We decided after a few months that there wasn’t a big enough opportunity but certainly that had nothing to do with F22’s quality of work. In fact, they helped us get to that conclusion really quickly without wasting time and additional resources.

How did F22 Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re really on top of it. The contact that I had that I was speaking to about the project was the project manager. There was no clumsy hand off or anything. It was a pretty small shop and it’s like who you deal with is who you deal with through the whole process. At least that’s why my experience was. Despite the time difference between India and the US it actually turned out to be pretty smooth. They would be very clear about what they were aiming to accomplish. We checked in sometimes daily and they were very accessible and generally on top of the project.

What distinguishes F22 Labs from other providers?

The main thing that comes to mind was unanticipated scope changes, I think when you’re doing projects like this nothing ever goes exactly to spec. There were a couple of situations where we wanted extra features added or we wanted quick design changes that weren’t in the initial brief, I would say that they were very flexible in accommodating those changes. Obviously not everything could be accommodated just because we were working on a pretty tight time frame. Unlike a lot of other folks that we worked with they showed themselves to be flexible so we really appreciated that.

Is there anything F22 Labs could have improved or done differently?

Not that I can figure. I might have a better answer if we’d work with them longer, but I think generally they definitely met all of our needs. The only thing was like I mentioned before was around time zone where sometimes we would have messed up a little bit because India was on a completely different time zone to the US, which would delay things. That’s something that we knew going in and we were happy to take that as a trade-off given how good they are.

Overall Score I think it was a great overall experience. We were happy to work with them and I think they were enthusiastic about the project. We’d be excited to do it all again.
    I think we met most of our deadlines and the only slipups were time zone issues that we knew going in.
    I think they are good value. You’re not paying for a ton of overhead or excessive non-developer times.
    I think that definitely for the prices they charge and for their responsiveness and overall app quality, I’d struggle to find higher.
    We’d definitely use them again and be happy to refer them.

Mobile and Web Development for Telehealth Company

"I would recommend them without reservation. I've stayed with them this long because I believe they're the best developers out there."

F22 Labs was hired to create a tool from scratch that allows doctors to interact with patients through a web-based device as well as applications built on the iOS and Android platforms.

Founder, Telehealth Company

F22 Labs was given near-perfect scores across the board. The client has had a long-standing relationship with them and plans to continue using them moving forward.

We are a telehealth company. It's a platform that's designed specifically for dermatology. What that means is that dermatologists purchase our platform, and they use it to treat patients online instead of bringing them into the office. We worked with F22 Labs as our only development resource from the very beginning. We've been working very closely together. I am the founder.

What challenge were you trying to address with F22 Labs?

It's threefold. When dermatologists treat patients, there's a long wait to get into see them. Patients are always looking for ways to get faster responses. One of those ways is to text your doctor. If that works, then doctors could treat patients via text. The three problems with that is that is one – it's not HIPAA [Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act]-compliant to text with patients. Two – it's very inefficient to do treatment using an open chat because the patient never knows what input the doctor needs. It's always this constant back and forth to get an answer. The third problem is there's no easy way to charge patients when you're texting with them. We've developed a platform that's HIPAA-compliant that doctors can set price points for these visits, and we collect payment and direct deposit into their bank account. Instead of it being an open conversation, it's a structured communication flow where we collect all the information from the patient upfront that the doctor needs so that there's no back and forth.

They have been our full-service development shop. They created the platform from scratch. They continue to maintain it and built it beyond what the MVP [minimum viable product] was. They've been the only technology resource we've used from the very beginning of the company. There's two users for our product – the patient and the doctor. The doctors sign in from any web-based device, so there's no native apps for doctors. Payments can also sign in on a responsive web-based experience from any device, but they can also sign in through our native iOS and Android apps. F22 built all of that.

How did you come to work with F22 Labs?

The head of the group, Murtuza Kutub [partner at F22 Labs], worked with me at a previous company. I knew him before, and that was why I chose them. The developers that have worked with us from his group have all been amazing, and I didn't have previous relationships with them. We've stayed with them since the beginning because they've continued to deliver top quality work.

How much have you invested with F22 Labs?

We pay per month per developer. It's somewhere in the $5,000 to $10,000 range per developer per month. It's an ongoing project, so we flex development resources depending on our needs. At times, we've had two developers and, at times, we've had one developer. We had three for a short period initially. Depending on how many developers we have that's our cost. That's why it fluctuates a bit.

I've been working with them since November 2014. I would say the average cost per month has been around $10,000. The project is ongoing. We're planning to work with them for the foreseeable future.

We have a 90 percent success rate at solving online. When people send in visits, we're able to treat them in 90 percent of cases. Only 10 percent are triaged into the office for further evaluation. We have 75 percent time savings for the doctors compared to office care. Another value that we provide to doctors is allowing them to treat more quickly. We've tracked doctors and watched them use our platform and have proven that. I can't share numbers around our total user base, but I can tell you that we're growing double digits' month over month. We have great traction on both the doctor and the patient side.

How did F22 Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

They've done really well. We use Trello. It's a great project management tool. We create sprints in that tool, and they pick up the tickets. They're good at estimating. They're not always 100 percent right, but they're pretty on target. We create weekly or biweekly sprints depending on what we're doing. They pick up those tickets, we put comments in the tickets, and we have a testing process that we go back and forth on. They're very organized around that.

What did you find most impressive about F22 Labs?

I've worked with so many developers in the past because my background is product management. I think what sets them apart is that they're thought partners as well as actual executors. Especially with offshore teams what I find is that they just take your direction and implement it, which is not always the best idea. What I like is they push back, think about what they're doing, and work with me to come up with the right solution. I can have a very specific idea of what I want to do, and they will come back and say I think we should do it this way. They're often on target. It's really helpful because they're working with me to come up with the answer rather than just doing what I tell them.

Are there any areas F22 Labs could improve?

There were things initially that were problematic, but what I liked about them was that as soon as I pointed out a problem, they would fix it. Initially, we had some communication issues. They're far away, so we had to come up with processes for communicating. Now, we're really smooth. If you ask me today if there's something specific, then I can't think of anything. One of the other great things about them is they're super responsive, take feedback, and fix things that don't work. We figured out a good process together.

I think 5 is hard to get to because it's difficult to estimate.
    I think they're expensive for India, but they're much lower cost than anything I can get onshore. They provide me the same value as a New York developer at a much lower cost.
    Based on my experience today.

Website Development for Writing Platform

"Cross collaboration was possible because they were always keeping me up to date."

F22 Labs was hired to salvage existing code and use it to develop a new website for the client, adding new features and a new design along the way.

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Zahen Khan
Founder, Offprint

The client was happy with the amount of time F22 Labs spent to understand their business and how communicative they were. The only real downside noted was that they were fairly expensive for the services they rendered.

My company is called Offprint. It’s a writing platform that’s focused on the Indian market. I am the Founder.

What challenge were you trying to address with F22 Labs?

I’ve gone through a couple of other software firms and the quality of the product wasn’t good enough, so people were complaining about the design and functionality. I approached F22 Labs based on their previous work to make an upgraded version of the website.

Basically, there was an existing website with the code that was written by the previous developers. What I approached F22 Labs to do was to take as much of that code, salvage it, and then build on it to add new features and a newer design. Some of that involved cutting out complexity in the features that I wanted and some of it was just them implementing the features that I had in mind. It was more than just me telling them what to do. It was them adding to the product themselves.

How did you come to work with F22 Labs?

I found them just by searching on Google. I searched software development firms in India and their website was on the bottom of page one.

How much have you invested with F22 Labs?

It was a special thing because I already had designs done previously by another designer and there was code that already existed. So it was exactly $10,000 USD.

It was completed three months ago. Now we’re working for the second upgrade.

I’m not sure about exact statistics, but what I can say is after we pushed their code to production and the website looked like how they made it, we definitely had an increase in engagement and viewership. It’s been growing exponentially for the past few months. I can’t tell you how much of that is as a result of their work versus the marketing that we’re doing.

How did F22 Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

What was important to me at that time was making use of what we already had. I also had a very strict deadline. I had to get the work done in four weeks. They did it under five which was reasonable given the scope of the product. They were always communicative throughout, letting us know which stage they were in. So I never felt like I was waiting in the dark wondering what they were doing.

What did you find most impressive about F22 Labs?

There are two main things. One is that they take the time to understand your product. The previous companies that I had worked with were not going to sit down with you and discuss your vision or goals or what you’re trying to achieve. They’re just going to do what you tell them to do, and that doesn’t work. They need to understand what they’re doing so the product can come out as well as mine did. The second thing is they’re very communicative. They always let you know where you are standing in the process and how everything is going. I think with my previous experiences, they would just tell me what was done once a month. With these guys, cross collaboration was possible because they were always keeping me up to date.

Are there any areas F22 Labs could improve?

There were a few times where I emailed them about some stuff but they kind of took a while to respond to that because they were working on other things.

They’re a bit on the expensive side.
    No one’s perfect.