Making Your Users Smile

Experience Dynamics is a usability consulting firm providing global design research services. Our User-Centered Design methodology and usability consulting services are used by Fortune 500 companies in enterprise, institutional and consumer facing products, desktop, mobile and Web environments.

2001
Portland, OR
  • 1827 NE 44th Avenue Suite 250
    Portland, OR 97213

Nike, Intel, Microsoft, Capital One, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Providence Health and Services, Johnson & Johnson, Logitech, City of New York, IBM, HP

User Research for Food & Nutrition Analysis Company

“These guys know UI/UX. The competency level is very high with this group.”

June 2017 - Ongoing

Experience Dynamics helped to understand and analyze customer perspectives of software, services, and tools, and then built out prototypes for new project design applying what they learned.

Salem, Oregon
Craig Bennett
CEO, ESHA Research, Inc.

Trusted as ambassadors, they facilitated fast acquisition of customer feedback. Then, applying their findings, they helped to develop customer-focused tools. Then, integrating with all employees, they also taught how to replicate the process for future product development.

I’m Craig Bennett, CEO at ESHA Research. We provide consulting services and software solutions primarily for food industry professionals who use our software for recipe development, product formulation, and creating compliant labels. We also provide products for registered dieticians and the healthcare industry. Our software, services, and databases simplify and solve issues for people in the food industry who have a lot of complexity with regulations, formulas, and nutritional analysis.

What challenge were you trying to address with Experience Dynamics?

We were looking at the next generation of products and wanted to understand our customer’s perspective of how they were using our software, services, and tools. We did our research and approached Experienced Dynamics. It certainly helped that they’re local in Portland and we’re in Salem, Oregon.

We sat down with Experience Dynamics to help them understand our company, product, and goals. We left the how up to them to determine the right strategy and tactics to accomplish our goals. They were able to quickly pull their resources together and help us move out into two swim lanes at the same time.

One strategy was to do an online survey with our customers. We had a lot of questions and we received 80-90% response from our customers, which was phenomenal. They wanted to participate and help us improve our software. We started off getting this data to help us decide where we go next and where the opportunities are.

Then we did onsite meetings with customers. We did 40 interviews across three primary markets: restaurants, manufacturing, and grocery stores. They quickly identified customers that were willing to meet with us and do interviews onsite. We selected some local customers so our team members from ESHA could attend, which was great. Then we also had some meetings in other parts of the United States. What was very impressive to us is how quickly they were able to identify our customers based on the criteria that we gave them and get their foot in the door to do interviews. They executed on schedule and were able to complete the interviews within 30 days. It was amazing. Then, we received videotapes of this material so we were able to share it with all of our employees. It was eye-opening to see people using our software and to see the things that were going well and weren’t going so well. Our developers were in awe of this customer feedback. To date, that’s been a very good experience.

After we gathered that data, we moved into the next phase of training our employees. Experience Dynamics came on site and explained to our employees what we were doing and how we were doing it, which was very helpful. Then we started an educational coaching series with our developers and project managers learning this process of how to develop software through the customer’s perspective instead of building new ideas and throwing them out there to see if they work. That’s typical for software developers. This has given us muscle and ability to pull in our customers upfront as we develop software.

Today we’re doing the UI design with all of this data, with our developers involved in the process. We’re doing the sketches and getting the wireframes together. In short time, we’ll go back to our customers and show them some prototypes of our new ideas and our software products. We’re delighted because we have great customers. The food industry is full of great people who want to help you to succeed. It’s fun working in this industry.

Typically we’re dealing with three people at Experience Dynamics, and they’re using resources as needed to fill in the gaps. Primarily we worked with Frank [CEO, Experience Dynamics] and Alison [Managing Partner, Experience Dynamics] on the initial stage. Now we’ve brought Daniel [Designer, Experience Dynamics] in who is really talented on the UI development side.

How did you come to work with Experience Dynamics?

I’ve done this in past. I’ve used several companies to help develop software, so I did the same due diligence. I reached out to three companies and talked with them about our project and how we’d approach it. Out of three, Experience Dynamics surfaced to the top very quickly with the type of people I thought would fit with our culture. They have the competency and ability to deliver results. It was a really good match with their personalities and our company. I knew they were going to spend a lot of time with us. I’m very careful whom I choose because they’re meeting with our prime customers and I want to make sure I’m picking the right ambassadors.

How much have you invested with Experience Dynamics?

We have invested approximately $100,000.

We started working with them in May 2017. It’s been two or three months and the work is ongoing. Phase one is done, which was collecting all the research data and being able to make some decisions. We’re at about 70% with phase two which is finishing up our UI design. The remaining work to be done is going out and presenting to customers and then coming back and making some tweaks on our prototype and then getting back out in front of customers.

Experience Dynamics brought everybody along on the journey, helping our developers and product managers get into this new process of developing software and making sure that it matches with our Agile software development style. That’s really critical because when we finish with this product, my team is going to have the ability to do this work as we go forward with new products. That’s worth a lot.

How did Experience Dynamics perform from a project management standpoint?

They excel. They have very strong communication skills. Throughout the project, they’ve always communicated constantly. We work through Basecamp where we see their updates. We have TouchPoint meetings from management level to the project side. Yesterday we had a two-hour design meeting with our developers and Experience Dynamics, and then the updates come right after that. They’re really good at communicating verbally and through written word and also through the UI/UX designs that are going up on Basecamp constantly. We’re definitely connected. There are no open areas at this point.

What did you find most impressive about Experience Dynamics?

What we hired them for is to help us build out these prototypes of this new project design; that’s where they absolutely excel. They’re good at everything, but what it really comes down to is I want the results. I’m looking for a design for my next product to replace an existing product. These guys know UI/UX. The competency level is very high with this group.

Are there any areas Experience Dynamics could improve?

I haven’t seen it so far. We’re still learning from them. They’re doing a very good job.

They never miss deadlines.
    We’re getting a lot.
    Definitely. I like these guys. I’d hire them if I could.

ADA Compliance Testing for Multiple Websites

"They were really great and easy to work with."

May 2016 - May 2017

Experience Dynamics performed an analysis and provided recommendations to assist a digital agency in updating multiple client websites to comply with ADA compliance standards.

Rockford, Illinois
Scott Spencer
Co-Founder, GrahamSpencer

The analysis from the tests protected the websites from further legal action. Experience Dynamics' work educated the design agency; they are optimistic that they can win additional RFPs based on their knowledge of the compliance, which was well worth the time and money.

I am the Co-Founder and Co-Creative Director at GrahamSpencer, a brand and content marketing and design company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Experience Dynamics?

We were working with one of our clients who had some compliance and ADA [American Disabilities Act] issues that they needed to address on their website. That is an expertise that we don’t have in-house. We needed a better understanding of where the problems lie and how we can address them for our client's needs.

Websites that we design are accessed by the public. Sometimes what we use every day as far as tools and design isn’t compliant to people with disabilities. They were able to help us identify what those issues were, and identify those to the client. The client could then make up their mind as to whether we were going to make those changes. We’ve used them twice now for the same type of thing.

It all started when our client came to us and said that they had a pending lawsuit because they were not ADA compliant. There are companies and individuals who seek out sites that may not be compliant, and then threaten them with lawsuits. Basically, it’s a nuisance suit more than anything. It is good to know though because it has allowed me to understand some of the disabilities that I need to keep in mind when designing.

We had a conversation with Frank [CEO, Experience Dynamics] and he asked us a number of questions and then came back with a proposal. We then walked through the proposal and then explained it to our client. We were the middleman on this part. An analysis of the site was done using people with disabilities who experience the site in different ways. That could be everywhere from a handicap where you can’t use a mouse to the way that colors are viewed or type size. We went through and had those sites analyzed and then a report was given back to us where we were shown our strengths and our weaknesses. A report was given to us, and, in turn, we turned it around and gave it back to our client and allowed them to make the decisions as to what they would like to do. The changes would require more programming and/or design changes on our end, but they’d have to approve that first. The design changes were done by our team.

Experience Dynamics was able to identify these things. It’s interesting, in one case we actually did the design for the site. We were able to make some of the changes that they had approved us to. On the other end, a client had an existing site, but wanted to be ADA compliant. Basically, the report functioned as our only duties for them. We didn’t do any of the questions at that time. Experience Dynamics’ contribution in both of these projects was the same sort of accessibility testing. The site we originally worked with them on was a sister company of theirs. That’s the site that we didn’t design, but they still wanted ADA testing done on it. Experience Dynamics was able to go ahead and do that and then we stepped in and presented the report and findings back to the client.

Our point person was Frank. He would tell us what types of testing that would need to be done and with how many individuals.

How did you come to work with Experience Dynamics?

My business partner, Jay Graham, had been introduced to Frank somewhere down the road. We were talking about this problem when it came up of who we should partner with because we knew we didn’t have the expertise in-house, Jay said, “I think I remember meeting the guy. Let me email him and see if that’s up there in their wheel house.” and it was. We reintroduced ourselves and went from there.

Approximately $15,000 between the two projects.

We started working together in May 2016 until May 2017.

I don’t have any measurable metrics because, in the case of the first site, we did some minor edits, but it’s interesting to be able to take these reports and give them to their attorneys. Their attorneys basically can say, “We’re working on the issue,” which makes the lawsuit go away. In some cases, they don’t want to be too aggressive about being compliant because it’s going to cost them money and they know that this is a nuisance suit. It has affected GrahamSpencer two-fold. It’s given our technology director a new understanding of when we’re looking at bidding sites, knowing that this needs to be part of the equation. We also now have somebody that we know, that we can partner with, trust, and can be a part of the process to try to win RFPs and additional work.

How did Experience Dynamics perform from a project management standpoint?

They were great. They’re easy to work with. We had the initial conversations, traded a few emails, and Frank was very upfront about timing and when they would start. This allowed us to let our client know how long the process would take. He would let us know if they had their testing core ready to go. He kept us in the loop all the way through, even up to the point of letting us know that testing was over. They would update us on the compiling and distilling of information, upcoming reports. Lastly, they would present the report to us online and explain it so that we could ask questions and understand the report thoroughly.

Our technical director had the most contact with them because he was the one that understood the compliance issues the best. They work together very well. It was seamless. It was quite easy and that was nice to not have to worry about anything. We actually had something that was informative, useful, worth the time and the money that went into it, and it could be used as a tool pressing forward. They were really great and easy to work with, which from my standpoint, I really appreciated. It was part of a project that I wouldn’t want to manage because it’s not my expertise, and it was great to let somebody take the reins and run with it.

This last time they were booked out. It was a little over a month before they could start the project. That could have been an issue to the client, but it wasn’t an issue to me. If the client would have said, “I’ve got a problem with that. I need this by a certain date,” that would have been a what-if. I don’t know what we would have done. I can’t say that it’s a complaint, but it certainly would have been tough if there was an issue with being able to complete the project in a more timely manner. I really don’t have any complaints.

User Research & QA for Large Retail Brand

"They are experts in usability, field studies and persona development."

Jan. 2013 - June 2015

Experience Dynamics conducted usability testing for an e-commerce website and produced in-depth field studies to identify shoppers’ interests. They also managed QA testing for responsive web pages before launch.

Portland, Oregon
Kerry Gelhar
Former Digital Art Director, Pendleton Woolen Mills

Through Experience Dynamics’ well-researched recommendations, the improved site boosted ROI and satisfied customers. The team’s proactive suggestions, strong work ethic, and bug identification saved hundreds of thousands of dollars from this engagement.

I was the digital art director for a retail company. In this role, I oversaw the graphics and photography for their customer-facing e-commerce website that sells men’s and women’s apparel, home products, and blankets. I managed creative for email campaigns, retail/outlet store support and digital marketing.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Experience Dynamics?

When I came on board in 2013, I recognized the need for the company to conduct usability testing on the website, as well as the need to make their site responsive. They could also use some additional field studies to learn more about their customers and what drives them to purchase. So, I lobbied to conduct some usability testing, field studies, and persona development.

For the first project, we worked with Frank [Chief Experience Officer, Experience Dynamics] to come up with a set of questions for the usability testing. Over 3 days in a usability lab environment, we asked 10 people to go through those questions and interact with our website on a desktop and on an iPad to try to find the answers (ie: find a men’s wool shirt, see if this blanket comes in blue). The deliverable that Frank put together summed up our requests, their feedback, and the recommended improvements to our website.

The other part of that project was an intense field study. We worked with Frank to identify our target audience and plan how we’d conduct this nationwide field study. Frank and his team went to Seattle, San Francisco, and Boston to interview people on-site in their homes. They traveled with a recorder and conducted interviews to gain a better understanding of their environment and lifestyle. We wanted to know about our customers’ interests and what draws them to Pendleton.

The deliverable of that process involved a summing up of the findings from the interviews, as well as putting together some personas of various shoppers on our site—what type of person they are, what their goals are, and what drives them to purchase what they purchase.

We worked with another provider to redesign the website so that it was mobile-responsive. With cost-savings in mind, we did a partial responsive redesign where the first 4 pages of a customer shopping path were responsive (homepage, a landing page, a thumbnail page, and a product detail page). Once the company we hired implemented that on a beta site, we re-engaged Experience Dynamics to do some Q/A testing of the website and find any bugs to ensure the smoothest launch possible.

How did you come to work with Experience Dynamics?

I had worked with Frank in the past and loved the experience, so I hired him and his company’s services. I was confident in Frank and didn’t feel a need to shop around. He has a great work ethic and deep knowledge.

We spent under $50,000 for both projects as a whole. The QA portion was under $10,000.

We started working with them in January 2013 and ended in mid-2015.

The usability testing was useful as it gave us a guide for improvements on the site before we began the responsive redesign. Based on the results of the usability testing, we were able to improve our ROI by enabling customers to get to the shopping pages and add products to their cart much more easily.

Through the Q/A on the beta responsive website, Experience Dynamics found some website issues that could have cost our company a lot of time, effort and money to fix post-launch. In my opinion, those discoveries saved us thousands of dollars.

How did Experience Dynamics perform from a project management standpoint?

Frank successfully managed our projects as we worked on them. He stayed on top of things and was a great communicator. Whenever we had any questions, he was quick to respond. He oversaw the projects well, and in general, the projects ran smoothly.

What distinguishes Experience Dynamics from other providers?

They are very strong in usability, field studies and persona development.

Is there anything Experience Dynamics could have improved or done differently?

They found some amazing website issues in the QA. But we did run into some challenges based on the fact that we had team members based in different parts of the world, in different time zones, so communication was sometimes difficult.

I’m very likely to recommend them.

UX Research and Consulting for Manufacturing Company

"They did an excellent job recruiting super-users, people who really knew our competitors' products."

Experience Dynamics interviewed, tested, and observed clients and super-users in the printing industry in order to provide new information for improved marketing tactics and user experience design.

Pete Shumway
General Manager at Ready Mark

Their research provided helpful information to update the current user experience of the client's product. Experience Dynamics is commended for their testing facilities and ability to recruit knowledgeable users.

I run a brand of industrial printers called Ready Mark.

I am the general manager.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Experience Dynamics?

We're in an industry where the technology is mature, and we wanted to do something to differentiate our product from our competitors. Experience Dynamics helped us develop beyond a user interface. It's almost a user experience for the product.

First, they're experts in UI/UX [user interface/user experience] design. We flow mapped the process of operating an industrial printer. From that stream of activities, they gave us some guidance on where to put things and how to group them. They put together a test plan to get actual users to walk through a mockup. They recorded feedback, both the end user's facial reaction and where their fingers went.

How did you come to work with Experience Dynamics?

I started my search with Google. I talked with four to six companies. Our short list was one firm out of San Francisco and Experience Dynamics out of Portland. There are a number of companies that claim to do what Experience Dynamics does, and we picked them because of the facilities that they offered like the viewing room where we could look at our end users.

It cost between $10,000 and $50,000.

We started in late March or early April of last year and finished up at the end of June [2015]. I still communicate with them periodically. When we move onto the next thing, we'll definitely use them.

We haven't fully launched the product yet. We have a handful of beta sites that are using the product, and they love it. The feedback has been universally positive.

How did Experience Dynamics perform from a project management standpoint?

They committed to hard dates and always made their deadlines. They didn't miss anything. Frank [Spillers, CEO at Experience Dynamics] was great – always on the spot. Frank is very thorough with his scope of work and delivered what he said he would and when he said he would.

What distinguishes Experience Dynamics from other providers?

The facilities that they offer are unique – at least in the user experience. Most everybody goes through the first process where you value map your application and they make suggestions, but it's the testing piece with the actual end-user that I think really made the difference. They did an excellent job recruiting super-users, people who really knew our competitors' products. The facilities, the hands-on kinesthetic testing, and the recruiting of the power-users of our competitors' products all combined to make us successful.

No. Not at all.

Overall Score They were great communicators and great documenters.
    They set aggressive schedules, and they met them.
    They were not the least expensive, but it was certainly within range. For what they gave, we got the best deal for the money.
    They went above and beyond what the scope was.

UX Research for Medical Software Provider

"They're passionate about user experience."

2000 - Ongoing

Experience Dynamics provided UX/UI and site improvement services. They conducted end-user research, developed wireframes, performed user testing, and upgraded the existing site to the new UI.

Pocatello, Idaho
Joe Maxwell
VP of Development, Medical Software Provider

The client was very impressed with the smooth user transition to the new site, and has been using Experience's interface for five years. Experience showed a personal interest in the project and provided excellent project management.

Our company has been producing medical reference software and textbooks electronically for about 25 years. We've evolved with the market, providing CDS, DVDs, and online content. We provide a conglomeration of content from a wide variety of medical publishers, nursing, drug information, and the pharmacology industry.

I've been with the company for about 23 years, and I'm currently the vice president of development.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Experience Dynamics?

We started working with Experience Dynamics six to seven years ago. Before that, we'd had an online presence for about 10 years. We wanted to find out how customers were using products like ours so that we could better target their needs. We wanted to do an end-user study on human-computer interaction and design a new user interface based on the feedback that we received. That's when we started looking around for vendors that had HCI [Human-Computer Interaction] experience and settled on Experience Dynamics.

They did wireframe development. The whole process started with them locating the users to interview. We gave them our target audience, mostly medical librarians, researchers, hospital information directors, students, and nurses. They had some previous experience working with medical schools and medical students – that's a big part of our market – and some contact with some VA [Veterans Affairs] medical professors.

Then, they did one-on-one interviews with somewhere between 20 and 30 users in a variety of user types looking at our product and our competitors' products to see how the users experienced them and what challenges they were finding. Then, Experience Dynamics took the results from the users and gave us a detailed report about that. We took that and did some brainstorming on the wireframe UIs [user interfaces]. Then, they did the user testing to validate those ideas. Finally, we built the product, built the UI, and did a major upgrade of the existing product to the new UI.

How did you come to work with Experience Dynamics?

I set out blindly to find a human-computer interaction consultant. I probably looked around at three or four of them, phoned a few of them, and ended up speaking with Experience Dynamics. The initial conversations went well. They had a little background in some medical-related product development and, after a few conversations, we settled on doing the project with them.

The cost is between $10,000 and $50,000.

That project began about six or seven years ago, and we actually released just about five years ago [2011]. Last year [2015], we decided we wanted to do it again, another revamp on our product, so we started doing the same thing with them again.

I did look around at other vendors again, and I didn't find anything compelling enough to put the effort into a change. We're half to two-thirds of the way through that. We're getting ready to do a whiteboard session brainstorming wireframes.

We'd done some homegrown UI through the years, getting feedback from sales and talking to different departments about things that they wanted the product to do. We'd been through a couple of transitions before we worked with Experience Dynamics, and they were relatively successful. We had some bumpy transitions, but when we transitioned with Experience Dynamics five years ago, it was the smoothest transition for our user base that we've had. There were no questions. The product made sense to people, and they understood how to use it.

Everybody raved about the new product. The sales guy said, "I can't believe how smoothly this went," so that was the biggest success. The product has been running well with that same core user interface now for five years. It's been a very successful project.

How did Experience Dynamics perform from a project management standpoint?

They did very well. They took on managing all the users and interviews, and then compiled all that information into something that was readily usable by our various departments. Everybody was able to get a clear picture of how different users were doing their jobs and what they needed out of our product. That was good. Experience Dynamics managed the project very well.

What distinguishes Experience Dynamics from other providers?

Their level of interest in what they do is a great thing to bring to the table. Experience Dynamics likes to figure out what makes sense to users, how users can get more out of a product, and how a product can be positioned to succeed. I haven't worked with them in other subject areas, but I know they do a lot of other stuff. With the interest that they bring to our product, it's clear that they want to make it work well. They're passionate about user experience.

Is there anything Experience Dynamics could have improved or done differently?

Nothing comes to mind. I don't have any criticisms.

Overall Score We worked well together, grew to know each other, and communicate well. It’s easy to work with them. They make it interesting, and they make it engaging.
    There are always little delays, but I think they did a good job. It might be even more of the delays were on our side than their side.
    The product they gave us was worth it – very valuable.
    They’re very attentive and responsive, and they deliver a completely professional product.
    I would recommend them with no hesitations to anybody who is trying to build software products that make sense to users.

UX Research for Venture Capitalist

"There isn't anybody else in the market I could turn to to help me in the first place."

The client has worked with Experience on several projects. Experience completed user profiles and integrated functionality for this particular project. They also assisted with the initial HTML5 screens.

Vancouver, Washington
William Kallman
Venture Capitalist

Experience provided excellent project management and maintained an involved, collaborative partnership.

I am a venture capitalist and have founded multiple software companies.

I am the CEO of Black Hole LLC.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Experience Dynamics?

Throughout my career, I've needed consulting and user experience work for various apps that I've helped develop with my partners.

I've worked with various startups and have used Frank [Spillers, CEO at Experience Dynamics] and his team many times. He knows the drill and understands the space. He did usability testing work on our last application and came back with a report of all the priorities that needed to be addressed. He also helped me with Moby, another company I've started in the software space. They did user profiles and helped integrate some functionality that I was looking for in my mobile app.

How did you come to work with Experience Dynamics?

I met Frank socially through a neighbor who I had in Portland. We had a lot in common and looked for an opportunity to work together.

The total spend across all of our engagements is probably close to $100,000.

It's an ongoing engagement.

Everything that Frank has worked on with me has been a success. I can't sing his and Experience Dynamics's praises enough.

How did Experience Dynamics perform from a project management standpoint?

Brilliantly. One of the problems you have in software development is that the engineers like to run the show. They believe they are the user, and they think they know what's best, but they don't. Frank and his team are savvy enough to deal with that sort of behavior that you find in software engineers.

What distinguishes Experience Dynamics from other providers?

None of the other usability firms – individual or otherwise – were willing to work with us on a bootstrap basis. We needed help to do our initial HTML5 screens, and Frank was the only person who stepped up to the challenge. I can't sing his praises high enough. There isn't anybody else in the market I could turn to, to help me in the first place.

Absolutely not.

Overall Score You're lucky to have them in your database.
    Always on time.
    He's working on a project for free right now as a friend while also running a business that has overhead and everything else. He's helping me get started.
    I'm going to give them straight across the board
    I recommend them 100 percent to anybody that needs usability expertise.

UX Research for Fortune 500 Software Company

"Obviously user design is very scientific, but [Experience Dynamics] really comes at it from a human perspective."

Experience Dynamics conducted UX training and research with the client's employees to identify knowledge gaps and inefficiencies. They produced reports and recommendations for updated site designs and formatting.

Seattle Metro Area
Marketing Manager, Software Company

The updated website has had a 30% increase in visits and a 50% increase in click throughs. It has also received very positive feedback from the client's licensing specialists and employees.

My organization is a large Fortune 500 software company.

I am a Group Marketing Manager that manages a number of different programs related to field marketing.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Experience Dynamics?

I was trying to help our field salespeople understand a couple of complex licensing programs, and wanted to deliver the information in a consumable, easy to access manner. I also wanted to create some desire in them to actually learn and use the information.

Experience Dynamics conducted focus groups and user surveys in order to understand the day-to-day of our salespeople. The main goal was to determine how they were utilizing their time and the tools at their disposal in relation to the licensing programs. Experience Dynamics helped us discover knowledge gaps and inefficiencies.

Once they developed the focus groups, they compiled a series of reports and recommendations for our website design and formatting. The reports were very robust and thorough, which made it easier for us to move straight into wireframes and design.

How did you come to work with Experience Dynamics?

My company has a list of approved vendors, but I didn’t like any of the companies on the list for this project. I searched the internet for user experience agencies and found Experience Dynamics’ blog. I started talking with Frank Spillers, their Chief Executive Officer, and really liked his approach and his background. After a few conversations, I decided to move forward with them.

I worked with them on two different projects, and both had a price range between $10,000 and $50,000.

Both projects are completed.

I received a lot feedback from our licensing specialists; they loved the new site and the training. They felt that it really helped them manage their time. Visits to the updated website went up by 38%, and click through rates increased about 50%. More importantly for me though, was that people were noticing a difference in how they were using their time and how they were able to do their job.

How did Experience Dynamics perform from a project management standpoint?

They were awesome. I always knew exactly what the schedule was and what was expected of me and my team. They were consistently on time and on budget. I was never wondering what they were doing. It was truly flawless execution from my perspective.

What distinguishes Experience Dynamics from other providers?

They have a very human approach. Obviously user design is very scientific, but Frank and his team really come at it from a human perspective, which makes them easy to work with. Experience Dynamics made the process very fun and I really enjoyed working with them.

Is there anything Experience Dynamics could have improved or done differently?

No. I hired them again, so that speaks to their quality.

I've done it many times.

UX Research for Health Technology Company

"Experience Dynamics has a lot more depth of knowledge in user experience research and design than anyone I've worked with."

Experience Dynamics provided in-depth UX training, consultation, and research before rebuilding the client's site.

Los Angeles Metro Area
Daniel Loewus-Deitch
User Experience Manager, NantHealth

Since the site launched, the client has seen a four-fold increase in sales. Experience delivered efficient and transparent results.

My organization is NantHealth, formerly NaviNet. We are a healthcare technology company with the goal of using immunotherapy to try to cure cancer. We are part of a larger group called NantWorks that has a web of companies underneath it that are all working toward the same goal.

My position is User Experience Manager, so I run all of the user experience [UX] at NantHealth.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Experience Dynamics?

When I first started, I didn’t have a team. I wanted to get people across the organization to understand the purpose of user experience research and the value of doing field testing, personas, user journey maps, iterative design, etc.

We found Experience Dynamics and saw that they have a workshop. We brought them in to teach our staff about the UX process. They provided a lot of hands-on activities and joined us for some site visits at doctors’ offices to apply the techniques and skills that people were learning.

We have also hired them to do field studies on multiple occasions. They led a full-scale usability field research ethnography study with about 20 or so users at multiple sites. They conducted interviews and observational shadowing with doctors, nurses, front desk staff, etc. They really tried to understand everyone’s workflow and how they were interacting with NaviNet alongside their other systems. After collecting that research, they came back and presented a full report of all their findings, which was very successful.

We brought them back another time to rebuild our website and make it more useful for customers. They again did a study with all of the stakeholders who might visit the site. They developed personas and developed the website from top to bottom on Drupal.

How did you come to work with Experience Dynamics?

I had known about Experience Dynamics for quite a while. They have stood out in the field, because unlike a lot of other firms out there, they are a lot more in tune with utilizing ethnography in their designs. We have worked with agencies that are closer to us, but I haven’t found anybody like Experience Dynamics. They really stand out.

We’ve spent something around $200,000 total across projects.

I have a team now. We don’t have anything planned with them at the moment, but we definitely keep in touch.

We have had four times as many sales in the first couple of months that our website was launched. Their field studies have allowed us to change our business model and recycle some of our products. It has saved us plenty of time to be able to use their reports to support new designs and create new products. We have been getting fantastic user feedback on our designs. Customers say it’s much easier to navigate and find information.

How did Experience Dynamics perform from a project management standpoint?

They were actually really great. Experience Dynamics was faster than any company I’ve ever worked with, and I always knew what they were working on. It was us that held up the process, which is usually the other way around. They were really communicative and on the ball.

What distinguishes Experience Dynamics from other providers?

Going to what I mentioned earlier, Experience Dynamics has a lot more depth of knowledge in user experience research and design than anyone I've worked with. I’m trained in user experience and I learned things from working with them. Other agencies that I’ve worked with recently have moved a lot slower, are much less communicative, and didn’t back up their designs with research. With Experience Dynamics, I know we’re getting a lot of value and transparency, which is a winning combination.

Another significant difference is that we got to work with Frank Spillers, their Chief Executive Officer, and Alison Gavine. They were a part of our project from the beginning, and stayed in constant communication with us.

Is there anything Experience Dynamics could have improved or done differently?

Being able to adjust to different communication styles with different people. I work very well with them, but I know that other people have other ways of communicating. It’s important to be able to adjust based on who the stakeholders are. For the most part, they do a pretty good job, but every now and then there would be a little bit of a clash. It was nothing major, and for the most part, it was just appreciated that they were on top of things.

Their scheduling was just stellar. It never felt like we had to push them, they were always pulling us along. They were really good with recruiting as well. We never had anybody fall through and nothing fell apart when we were actually on-site.
    We did multiple bids, and Experience Dynamics came in the lowest and offered the most.
    In terms of the deliverables, they were very visual and easy to consume. They had a nice executive summary, lots of artifact pictures, and great diagrams.