Custom Software, Cloud, Mobile Apps, Strategy

Eureka Software (Eureka) is a custom software and technology engineering firm based in Austin, Texas.  For 30 years, the company has consistently provided an array of software and project management services, focusing on three strategic areas:

• Turnkey software and application design, development, integration, maintenance and support
  • Cost-effective strategic technology planning, product design, and full lifecycle project management
  • Quality assurance planning, verification, and automated testing

Few organizations can offer the breadth of technology know-how that we do, even fewer can actually follow through. We have worked with and continue to work with legacy and leading edge software technologies used for object-oriented development, cloud-based computing and storage, web development, mobile and mobile app development, and many others.

Eureka believes in becoming a strategic technology partner with its customers.  We provide our services to a broad range of organizations in a variety of industries, having successfully partnered with a host of customers, ranging from global corporations, Fortune 500’s, small-to-mid-sized firms, high tech startups, and many others.  Sample customers include worldwide firms such as Dell, Motorola, AMD, Siemens, Samsung, 3M, SBC, Tektronix, Progressive Insurance, NCR, Schlumberger, Sears, and Sprint. Smaller firms include many software product developers and high technology companies such as Trilogy, Micro Focus, and Baron Services.

At Eureka we live to solve problems with software.  Providing world-class service to the small start-up or a large, multi-national corporation, our goal is the same:  to exceed your expectations.  We believe software product development is a blend of technical artistry and high-end engineering – we go far beyond programming.

1986

• Sprint
  • Tektronix
  • Xerox

Database & Back-end Development For Computer Software Firm

"They have some very talented developers on their staff."

2010 - Ongoing

Eureka Software lends mobile development and server-side programming expertise to multiple projects. They provide data management and dissemination services, as well as work in Python, Lua, and C++.

Huntsville, Alabama
Software Department Manager, Computer Software Firm

All of Eureka Software's work has been stable, sophisticated, and uniformly well-received by customers. The team always provides high-quality code that stands up to rigorous testing. Their small size allows them to work efficiently, maintain a highly talented staff, and guarantee excellent results.

We're a full-service meteorological provider. We sell software to weather-oriented businesses, radars, and data services, both international and domestic.

Respondent #1: I am the software department manager; I head up all the software development here.

Respondent #2: I am the vice president of marketing.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Eureka Software?

Originally, we needed some user interface (UI) development on a Windows desktop application, but we didn't hire Eureka Software for that project. We actually hired them a few years later.

We hired Eureka for a small amount of mobile development, but the majority of the work we engaged them with was server-side programming, data management, and dissemination. For the server-side work, we used several different languages, including Python, C++, and Lua. There might have been a smattering of others, but those were the primary ones.

How did you come to work with Eureka Software?

We spoke with a few different companies. We had a short time frame, and we originally went with Eureka because we liked the speed and quality of the mobile development work they had done in the past. That's how our relationship began. The other work, the lion's share of the work, was the server-side back-end development. We started small, and our comfort level grew with them in time, and we ended up with a multi-year relationship.

The relationship with Eureka started around 2010 even though I first spoke to them around 2007. We didn't start working until late 2010.

Because this is also a software house, we use them as supplemental labor, hired guns. They were very good, they had some good staffers. The product we deployed and the system that we've built in time with them has proven very effective. We've received a lot of good feedback from customers on our product's scalability and ability to handle very large load volumes, and its overall reliability.

How did Eureka Software perform from a project management standpoint?

We managed the project through remote team augmentation. I managed them directly alongside a project manager on their side. Depending on how many of their staffers we had, we would dictate the amount of involvement the Eureka project managers had. At peak capacity, we were using probably about four developers from Eureka. The majority of the time, it was only two.

One time we thought that the developer they gave us couldn't deliver, so we requested a replacement. The guys at Eureka were responsive, and we resolved it and moved on.

We used configuration management tools to track work, and we used bug trackers to track individual issues. We used tools like GitHub, JIRA, documentation portals, and diagramming software.

There were no issues regarding unresponsiveness or issues with receiving defective work. They were always very responsive. They have some very talented developers on their staff, and that is one of the reasons I've stuck with them for so long.

We didn't have any QA [quality assurance] specialists. We did a lot of defensive programming in which we wrote unit tests for each functionality. We wrote software to test the software in an automated fashion.

What distinguishes Eureka Software from other providers?

Their stability and longevity stand out. They've been around a long time. Many of the employees that I spoke with in 2007, before the financial crisis, were still there. They've been around since the '80s or '90s, and a lot of employees that I've dealt with have been there more than 10 years. That's unusual to find from a contracting house. Eureka Software has a talented staff. They're not a body shop. They're not looking to fill seats in order to accumulate billable hours. They don't have a very large company; they seem to have kept it perfectly small, so they can keep the quality of their work up. At least that's the impression I had from speaking with some of their management.

In hindsight, are there areas in which they could improve, or things you might do differently?

I'm sure there are, but nothing really comes to mind at the moment. Everyone can improve somewhere. Our experience has always been positive.

Overall Score It was very good.
    They were very good about meeting schedules.
    They're expensive, but you get what you pay for. It's difficult for me to rate them as a five on cost because they are expensive even though they have value. In terms of value, I would give them a Based on cost alone, I wouldn't rate them very highly.
    It depends on the individual; I would rate them from a four to a It's a very high quality, but some of their guys are better than others.
    I'd recommend them and I would consider them for future work. I have recommended them a couple times.

Front-End GUI Implementation For Health Care Technology Firm

"We were impressed at how much work they did within the budget."

Eureka Software provided visual design for a web application that allows insurance companies to calculate investment returns. The designs were created using AngularJS, HTML5, and CSS.

Austin, Texas
Senior Software Engineer, Health Care Technology Firm

The app was delivered on time, won praise from users, and greatly improved sales. Eureka Software's deep talent pool allows them to supply resources for any solution, and their agile development expertise guarantees high quality. The team brought a responsive, meticulous approach to the project.

I work for GNS Healthcare. We are a software service and product company catering to the medical industry, mostly to payers or insurance companies.

I am a software developer.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Eureka Software?

I’ve actually worked with them twice. Once for the last company I worked for, and now with GNS. We needed to create a visual design for a Web application we have.

The technologies Eureka used were AngularJS, HTML5, and CSS. The application was for our sales team to use, and it needed to look sexy, and it needed to make sense and really drive home what we were trying to do. The service was designed to help insurance companies figure out their return on investment, similar to an investment calculator. They put in a bunch of their information, and then we tell them how much money they can save if they use us.

How did you come to work with Eureka Software?

I’ve got a long history with Eureka. I used them at a prior company, I’ve worked with them in the past as partners, so I know the guys, and that’s why I use them. I was working for a company called Rush Trucking, and their UI [user interface] guy was just excellent, he did a nice design, and that’s why I started using them. They’re good at what they do.

Probably about $50,000 total or maybe a little less than that.

The most recent project was completed in May [2015].

It was warmly received, but there are no hard statistics to share. It’s driving our sales process, so we have made some deals using the application. The stakeholders liked what we came up with, and it was a success.

How did Eureka Software perform from a project management standpoint?

Everything was completed and delivered within the specified timeframe and within budget. At first, people kept telling me they had a hard time believing that we weren’t beyond our budget. We kept making changes and enhancements, and Eureka just kept helping. We were impressed at how much work they did within the budget.

There weren’t any issues at all with responsiveness or defective work. We manage the project online using Atlassian, so we’ve got defect tracking, and we use the Agile development method. Eureka uses all the same practices we do, so they were able to work the same way we work.

What distinguishes Eureka Software from other providers?

I’m typically using them for UI design because they’re good at it, but I understand that they are talented in other areas as well, like server-side work. I’ve never used them for that, so I can’t really attest to it. It is nice to have a shop that is multifaceted. Eureka always had enough people, there are always people on hand there to handle whatever work is needed.

We haven’t used them for server-side development projects yet. What I’m almost always doing is building out a product, which includes server-side development, but the companies I work with don’t usually hire a designer, so we haven’t gotten the chance to work with them on it. We have worked with Eureka Software on the last three opportunities and those were great successes. It’s impressive that we can ask for one of their designers, and they can work with us and create three great projects.

Sometimes, their progress tracking isn’t as good as I would want. I want more details, and a lot of times what I’ll get from them is just the number of hours it took. I know they keep their logs anyway, but they don’t usually give them to us.

On one project, we had to ask them to keep us in the loop. They were resistant to using Skype because they liked their own chat system. After we talked with them, they were receptive and started using Skype and meshed with our team.

They’re always pushing the envelope.

Custom iOS Development For Education Management Startup

"They have a very broad set of knowledge and technological experience."

Eureka Software built an iOS app to integrate with an educational platform. They provided visual design, use case and back-end development, UI/UX design, and strategic consulting.

Austin, Texas
VP of Product Management, Education Management Startup

Although the app remains unpublished, its final prototype was polished and highly functional. Eureka Software impressed with their responsive communication, high-quality deliverables, and efficient workflow. Their deep knowledge and capable management enabled them to work with little oversight.

When I worked with Eureka, I was with another company called PeopleAdmin. It was a SaaS [Software as a Service] technology that delivered talent management solutions to organizations working in higher education.

I was the vice president of product management.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Eureka Software?

We were looking to build a brand new iOS app, and we did not have a mobile development team in-house. We knew what we were trying to build but needed the technical talent to pull it off.

They were responsible for both the functional development of the iOS app and the front-end visual design, as well as the use case development. I didn't have a team, but I had the ideas. Eureka was able to fill all the gaps between UI/UX [user interface/user experience], strategic decisions around what platform to build for, as well as which specific functionalities to include. They filled the gaps everywhere from product management, all the way through development.

How did you come to work with Eureka Software?

I got a cold email from them around the time when I was considering an outsourced option for my next project. Meeting with them solidified what type of service I was looking for. They helped me identify how to outsource, and what parts to outsource.

The engagement was completed in June 2014.

The app never actually went live. They were involved in every aspect of its production, however, from the idea all the way through to a fully developed prototype. By the end, they were able to show my team how to sustain the product they created. The prototype worked extremely well and, in some ways, performed even better than we had expected it would.

How did Eureka perform from a project management standpoint?

We never had any issues with unresponsiveness, delayed pieces of work, or defective code. They managed the project and workflow very well, and always kept us updated.

What distinguishes Eureka Software from other providers?

I think the principals at Eureka are very hands-on and very experienced. They have a very broad set of knowledge and technological experience. The principals stay engaged and hands-on until they transition to a pure development team or whatever the resources are. That allows them to perform really well, with little management or oversight from the customer.

Nothing comes to mind.

At my current company, we are considering using them.