Custom App & Web Development, UX/UI Design, IOT

Epic Business Apps is a Denver, Colorado-based software design and development firm. We specialize in creating custom websites and mobile applications for iOS and Android.

Greenwood Village, CO
  • 7350 East Progress Place, Suite 100
    Greenwood Village, CO 80111

U.S. Figure Skating Association, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), AVLancer, Colorado Division of Fire Prevention & Control, Outlets at Castle Rock, Colorado Education Association, Douglass Colony, JRF Ortho, Denver Police Department, University of Colorado Boulder, Designs by Sundown

Development for AV Work Platform

“They make suggestions and steer us in new directions. They're invested in our outcomes.”

May 2018 - Ongoing

Epic Apps developed an online platform for an AV labor booking agency. Fully customized, the end result will allow for digital contracting and payments and will integrate Bill.com and DocuSign services.

Denver, Colorado
Henry Schueller
CEO, AVLancer

The platform is still in beta testing, but the finished product will save roughly $100,000 annually in staffing costs. Epic Apps was very involved in the project, and they took time to understand the business goals and objectives.

We're an audiovisual labor booking company. Our platform allows stations and companies to find the contractors they hope to work with. I'm the founder and CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with Epic Apps?

We use spreadsheets, individual checks, and old-fashioned contracts. We asked Epic Apps to build a platform that would bring all those processes into the modern day.

The platform is a full online scheduling system that allows for online payments, invoice creation, and contracting. It's very specific to our niche industry. Everything is customized, but we'll integrate it with Bill.com. We'll also add our own merchant services and DocuSign contracting.

I'm not sure how many people were on their team, but we worked primarily with two people who delegated from there.

How did you come to work with Epic Apps?

We interviewed several companies, but we narrowed it down to Epic. They understood what we wanted to accomplish, and they offered a lot of suggestions and ideas. They quickly became a partner.

We've spent about $80,000.

The contract started in May 2018. We're in beta testing now, but we're still working with them. We have a lot more planned, and we hope this will be an ongoing relationship for many years.

Right out of the gate, the online invoicing and integration with Bill.com will reduce our staffing needs by about two full-time people. That will save us in the neighborhood of $100,000 a year.

How did Epic Apps perform from a project management standpoint?

Epic became a part of our team. They join our weekly meetings, and they're very involved. They plugged us into their Asana platform, which helps us track issues and log bugs.

They understand what we're doing, and they don't just take orders. They make suggestions and steer us in new directions. They're invested in our outcomes.

They were less involved at the beginning, but that's since been rectified. Being this engaged is really helpful.

I don't have any specific advice. They're a great partner, and we're really happy with them.

Overall Score They're down to earth and fun to work with. We've had a great experience.
    We fell behind on a few timelines, and they could step up their timing slightly.
    The cost is great, and they matched or out-bid their competition.
    They go above and beyond to understand our needs.
    I would recommend them to anyone, and I've referred them to a few other businesses already.

Mobile App Development for a Medical Non-Profit

“I appreciated having a point person to go to for all issues.”

Nov. 2018 - Aug. 2019

Using given wireframes, Epic Apps built an iOS platform for tissue processing companies in the organ donation field. They used Swift to create the frontend and Ruby on Rails for the backend.

Centennial, Colorado
Aaron Moreng
IT Manager, JRF Ortho

Able to apply their expertise to offer unique and educated suggestions, the team delivered a product that impressed both internal and external users. The technology and intuitive UX created efficient workflows. Their direct team structure ensured that all feedback was taken into consideration.

I’m the IT manager at JRF Ortho, overseeing the entirety of our IT operations. We’re a non-profit joint venture between two tissue processing companies. In our field, we work with tissue processors that are part of the organ donation space.

We’re involved with lining up matches between patients on waiting lists as well as looking for surgeries and tissues that are available. Specifically, we focus on the cartilage space, meaning the cartilage and bone used in surgeries in the knees, ankles, shoulders, etc. We’re a group of under 25 people.

What challenge were you trying to address with Epic Apps?

We communicated with the tissue processors by sending them basic spreadsheets that detailed what kind of tissue we needed. That would get out of sync. There were a ton of moving parts and changing data.

Our team was also having trouble with sending and receiving photos of the tissues in a secure fashion while making it easy for the technicians doing the processing. We needed a platform that would address both issues and had the potential to grow with us.

I provided some basic wireframes that depicted how I wanted to build out the technology. They understood my vision, despite its complexity. Then, their team expanded upon my ideas, elaborating on the UI/UX. They wrote the product in Swift in order to produce an iOS app that could function on the iPads used by professionals in the field. The backend is a Ruby on Rails CMS platform. We just finished up the first phase of the project and are moving into stage two.

I consistently worked with two resources here in Denver. They have a network of offshore developers that they utilize as needed. So, I’m not sure how many people worked on the project in total, but my points of contact were always the same.

How did you come to work with Epic Apps?

I originally pitched this project to an organization that we’ve worked with before. They wanted way more money than I’d budgeted for it, so we started searching Google for other options. Epic Apps showed up in my searches with great reviews. I scheduled an interview with them.

In our conversations, I was impressed with their ability to disseminate complex information quickly and offer up their approach if hired. When their quote came back, it was right where we needed it to be. We decided to hire them.

We spent about $25,000.

We started working together in November 2018, and they’re still providing ongoing support for this project. Their team finalized the first version in August 2019, but we’re moving into phase two now.

The final platform has been a huge game-changer, especially for the suppliers collaborating with us. It makes their process much more streamlined and straightforward. We’ve received positive feedback from those using the app too. Our team is also pleased with the app’s innovative solutions to complex problems.

How did Epic Apps perform from a project management standpoint?

Because I was working consistently with one project manager, I never had to repeat myself or follow up on anything. They were always on point.

I appreciated having a point person to go to for all issues. Having all the communication go through one channel simplified the process for me.

I don’t really think so. I had a great experience and would do it all over again.

Have the majority of your ideas hashed out before meeting with them. In my experience, the wireframes and requirements I brought to them helped me achieve the results I wanted.

They always hit the timelines assigned.
    This was important to us. They cost a quarter of what other dev shops did.
    They came up with ideas that were better than the ones I originally planned.