Enterprise Level Web and Mobile Development

Founded in 1999, St. Louis-based Engage has specialized in delivering flexible, highly customizable, and sustainable web and mobile sites and software. In recent years, we have become a leading provider of DNN and DNN Evoq services, specializing in enterprise level development and consulting. Engage is a trusted, certified DNN Partner as well as a Microsoft Certified Partner.

1999
St. Louis, MO
  • 11780 Manchester Road, Suite 207
    St. Louis, MO 63131

True Value, Cassidy Turley, Protech, CHADD, Amerinet, APSP...

DNN Web Development for Business Association

"They were integral in recommending an approach to a multi-site environment."

Oct. 2014 - Apr. 2015

Engage Software skinned designs into a DNN theme. They also customized PRO-TECH web parts and integrated the pieces between DNN and PRO-TECH software for end users.

Washington, DC
Benjamin Price
Project Manager, SIIA

Engage Software's DNN integration helped reduce the time needed for microsite creation from days to mere hours. Their redesign implementation lowered bounce rates and improved user engagement. Their team's ability to configure web parts and optimize their use is a highlight of their work.

I am a project manager for SIIA, a trade association for software and content industries. I oversee marketing and the website.

What challenge were you trying to address with Engage Software?

We did not have the expertise to integrate our new website to our CRM. We needed to hire someone with DNN and Pro-tech software integration experience.

We delivered them our PDF photoshop files and they implemented our designs into a DNN theme. They customized our PRO-TECH web systems and integrated the pieces between DNN and PRO-TECH.

Their team also configured the modules handling the integration that would be presented to our end users. They were able to quickly skin those and get them working correctly—for a members' portal and registration flow.

We were provided a project manager who dictated the scope and schedule, a creative director who answered questions about design, and a solutions architect who answered our technical questions.

How did you come to work with Engage Software?

We met them at a PRO-TECH conference in Washington D.C. They were a preferred vendor and already worked with our association management vendor—having DNN and PRO-TECH software experience.

We invested around $70,000.

We started working with them in October 2014 and the engagement ended in April 2015.

Their DNN work helped us reduce the time to market because we were able to democratize content creation and publishing. They helped us roll out the new site quickly, allowing us to initiate that workflow. We can now create a new event microsite in a couple hours instead of taking days.

As for the registration piece, their implementation of the new registration system helped us move people more quickly through our registration process.

Analytically, our users were more intrigued as engagement rates improved and bounce rates lowered since the redesign.

How did Engage Software perform from a project management standpoint?

They used standard schedules with high-level milestones. We met for weekly meetings and we encouraged them not to do a lot of project management because I was doing most of that internally.

We had weekly status calls as well and talked through e-mail. I also could always reach out directly to the developers and have 30-minute phone calls. They implemented, towards the end of the project, a project management tool for weekly status reports that updated what we had planned for the week and what was upcoming.

I’ve done the creative tech agency work they do, which gives me a unique perspective. They really impressed us with their accessibility and were very upfront about their role in the project. They didn’t just do what we asked them to, rather, always tried to find the optimal solution. They had the expertise and experience to better use certain web parts and they were integral in recommending an approach to a multi-site environment.

No, nothing comes to mind.

Come to the table with the most detailed requirements possible—wireframes and requirements listed on a wiki or a Google Doc. It’ll save a lot of money because they’ll have to do the work for you if you haven't done it. It’s going to make the project clearer upfront and cost less time to launch your product if there’s less ambiguity in what they must build.

They delivered everything on time.
    Their prices were very competitive.

DNN Web Upgrade of Lake Association

“Their strong intuition allows them to give constructive advice, and they’re experts in their field.”

May 2017 - Apr. 2018

After initially updating a DNN website to address functionality concerns, Engage Software created a new site, which involved content migration, analytics tracking, and updated designs.

Belgrade Lake, Maine
Dick Greenan
Board Member, Belgrade Lakes Association

The site garnered overwhelming praise from key stakeholders for its improved navigation, modern themes, and cost-effective approach. Beyond their responsiveness and collaborative attitude, Engage Software’s technical skills allowed them to deliver a functional site within deadlines.

I’m a board member of the Belgrade Lakes Association. We’re the oldest nonprofit lake-conservation group located in Maine with over 500 members.

What challenge were you trying to address with Engage Software?

About 14 years ago, a development company built our website using DNN but have disbanded since then. Over the years, the site began to accumulate technical issues, especially with Apple products and mobile displays. Recently, our site went down, and we couldn’t log in despite contacting our previous vendors and the hosting site. As a result, we needed resources to get our site live and then modernize it to fix any bugs.

Despite unsuccessful attempts at contacting our previous vendors, they regained access to our site and made the necessary fixes to get us live again. We provided them with a list of tasks, which they immediately started to attack. This involved updating our DNN site and addressing display problems, page dimensions, and disappearing drop-down menus on Apple products.

To curve project costs and simplify development, they eventually proposed creating a new site with an updated theme based on our project objectives. After showing us a few test pages, they built the site and migrated the content within a week. The site features Google Analytics compatibility, hamburger menus, and a sleek design.

After speaking with their SVP, we primarily worked with a developer and a project manager who spoke with us via email.

How did you come to work with Engage Software?

We found them on the consultants and supporters section of the DNN site. We reached out to their SVP who impressed us with his understanding personality and technical knowledge.

On the new site, we spent $2,200–$2,300.

Their work lasted from May 2017–April 2018.

We’ve just launched the site a few weeks ago, so we currently don’t have any hard metrics. However, the new site received unanimous praise from our board members for its accessible navigation, mobile display capabilities, and modern visual themes. It looks phenomenal. In terms of expenses, they respected our limited budget and proactively found cost-effective solutions. Without the new site, we would have spent nearly $5,400 to update everything.

How did Engage Software perform from a project management standpoint?

While I don’t remember the tool name, they used a software to track our tasks and time lines. We also communicated through email and phone, and they never hesitated to address our concerns.

I appreciated how considerate they were of our limitations as a nonprofit, not only with regards to our budget but our lack of technical understanding. They patiently guided us through the new site, explaining operational features and attentively taking our calls for quick questions.

Nothing comes to mind.

Customers should trust their suggestions. Their strong intuition allows them to give constructive advice, and they’re experts in their field.

They delivered the site before their estimated deadline.
    They saved us thousands of dollars with a new site.
    We love the site’s new colors.

DNN Implementation For Nonprofit Organization

"They’ve been a real pleasure to work with, and we definitely intend to keep them around."

2012- Ongoing

Engage managed a nonprofit's development during a staff transition. They implemented a custom DotNetNuke solution and handled design, migration, systems integration, configuration, and training.

Washington DC Metro Area
Arlene Pisano
Webmaster, CHADD

Engage crafted a high-quality, reliable solution that will support the organization's web strategy for many years. The team's technical expertise, prompt efficiency, and uncomplicated communication process made every project run smoothly. Senior leadership is highly accessible and accommodating.

Could you provide a brief description of your organization?

CHADD is a nonprofit organization. We lend assistance and support to children and adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. We’ve got maybe about 25 or 26 people that work here. It’s a membership organization. We’re headquartered in Maryland.

I’m the webmaster.

Could you describe the business challenge that you were attempting to address when you first approached Engage Software?

They started working with CHADD about two years ago. I came on board last May when their previous Webmaster walked out the door unexpectedly. I came in during the middle of the whole thing. Engage took up the slack during the time that the webmaster walked out the door, and I was recruited, and then they made the effort to train me and bring me up to speed on everything that had been done beforehand. Ever since then, they’ve acted as my trusted development partner.

Could you describe the scope of work delivered during the course of this project?

They performed our design work. They implemented our DotNetNuke platform and did all of the custom modifications. They did a lot of fine-tuning with JavaScript. They also handled our migration, systems integration, and hosting configuration. They trained myself and a few other staff members on how to troubleshoot the system from an administrative standpoint. They continue to provide ongoing support?

How did you select Engage Software as your solution partner?

I’m not sure of the exact order or process, because I was recruited halfway through the project. I think it had something to do with the fact that we were using two separate vendors for our customer relationship management and our content management system. We were deploying ProTech for the former and DotNetNuke for the latter. There was some definitely cross-collaboration going on when I came into the project, but I can’t really describe the process by which we chose Engage.

I don’t know. I really have absolutely no idea. I know that during the period, we were using 50 hours a month with them, but I don’t know the rate.

This remains an ongoing relationship, correct?

The relationship has been ongoing for two years.

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback you’ve received that would demonstrate the effectiveness of their work?

I don’t have any metrics to share because we weren’t tracking any figures. Most of the feedback we’ve received has been positive in nature. Engage is sort of your ideal vendor from a customer point of view; they’re absolutely ideal. You never have to prove that there’s a problem. They believe you. They’re prompt. They’re efficient. They produce quality work. I don’t think we’ve ever had a problem with anything that they’ve given us. We found the process, with the exception of losing our webmaster, entirely painless.

When working with Engage Software, is there anything you’d consider unique about their approach or development methodology that distinguishes them from other vendors?

One thing that really stood out to me was the sheer ease of access to their executive management and project leads. They’re not inaccessible like so many other IT [information technology] vendors tend to be. They’re also just great technical folks. They were able to help guide us through our long-term Web strategy with this new system.

In retrospect, are there areas in which you think Engage Software could improve upon as a service provider?

No. I can’t say that we have any complaints. They’ve been a real pleasure to work with, and we definitely intend to keep them around.

Site Migration and Redesign Healthcare Firm

"It was a very collaborative process."

Engage Software redesigned and migrated an outdated website from SharePoint. The team strategized the deployment process, helped identify requirements and scope, and completed the rebuild.

St. Louis Metro Area
Kelly Wisness
Senior Director of Digital Strategy, Amerinet, Inc.

The website can now be used for lead generation and has already generated 150 donation leads. It is more intuitive for users, earns positive feedback, and receives fewer support tickets. Engage Software was hands-on and involved, delivering consistent communication and status updates.

Could you please describe your organization?

I work for Amerinet, which is a healthcare group purchasing organization. We work with healthcare professionals all around the country, anybody from an administrative assistant to a C-level person. We collaborate with those members and different professionals all around the country and we have relationships with suppliers, and we garner contracts from them. We are able to negotiate really good deals that most of our members, healthcare professionals and organizations across the country, wouldn't be able to garner on their own.

I'm the senior director of digital strategy.

Could you describe the business challenges you were attempting to address when you first approached Engage Software?

When I arrived at Amerinet, the site was built with SharePoint. It wasn't particularly easy to make changes or modifications. The site also had an older look and feel. The navigation wasn't intuitive for our users. The site, because it was based on SharePoint, had limitations to what we could do with it. As a result, one of our goals when I first started was to move our site off SharePoint platform and to redesign the whole thing. I began that process with another organization that I'd worked with in St. Louis. After discussing our goals with them, they recommended that I approach Engage Software. I met with their team and discussed our project. They had great experience and a solid vision for our redesign. Plus, they came highly recommended. I have a lot of faith and trust in the organization that recommended them. Overall, we felt confident in their capabilities.

Could you describe the scope of work in greater detail?

They came in and really handled everything for us. The first step was strategizing how we wanted the deployment to progress, how many stages, [and] what the tasks and deadlines were. They were invaluable. They helped us define our user requirements and scope out the entire project. Once that was done they began working on the visual redesign. It was a real step-by-step process. They delivered the wireframes and template designs and we'd discuss what we liked and what we wanted changed slightly. They brought us some great redesigns. Once that was complete, they went ahead and dealt with the technical rebuild. There was custom development involved, and then all of the content migration. We did experience some minor issues with compatibility early on, but it was solved quickly.

How did you select Engage Software as your solution partner?

We did some research and submitted inquiries to a few companies we were originally considering. We spoke to a few other companies in addition to Engage Software, but we weren't as impressed with their capabilities. They didn't come with a great recommendation like Engage had.

The estimated project cost was around $38,000.

When was this project completed?

The site was launched [on] May 21 [of 2014] I believe.

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback that would demonstrate the effectiveness of their work?

One of the things we were able to accomplish with this migration and redesign was the ability to use the website for lead generation. In fact, our donation channel has already received about 150 leads. Compared to our previous site, which didn't offer that capability, it's a great addition. I've also received a lot of positive anecdotal commentary from our customer service team. We're receiving far fewer support tickets through the website now. The site is far more intuitive to our users.

When working with Engage Software, is there anything you'd consider unique about their approach or development methodology that distinguishes them from other vendors?

I was quite surprised by how hands-on they were with us. They really kept us in the loop. Some teams I've worked with in the past can end up working in a silo. In those situations, you either hear from them letting you know everything is on track or you hear nothing, which is basically the worst possible news. Engage Software doesn't behave that way. They were sending us consistent updates on our various tasks. We really appreciated that, because we were able to provide some valuable feedback, which they could then incorporate into our work. It was a very collaborative process.

I honestly can't think of anything. They managed to exceed our expectations going into the project, and we're very satisfied with our website. It was a very successful project.

DNN Implementation Leading ISV

"They're capable thought partners that can really execute a sound strategy."

2012 - Ongoing

Engage Software provides business development, design, and project management services. They qualify solutions for third party customers to explain how the product can solve technical challenges.

Columbia, Maryland
Vice President of Customer Service, Software Vendor

Coverage has rapidly expanded from two customers to 12 with positive results. Engage Software is experienced with the technology and has a clear understanding of its capabilities through multiple deployments. They offer strategic insight and deliver consistent, proven results, even under pressure.

Could you provide a brief description of your company?

I work for an independent software vendor  focused on Microsoft Stack products, but primarily Microsoft Dynamics. We serve the non-profit, member-based associations and other organizations across the United States and Canada.

I'm the vice president of existing customers, sales, and services.

Essentially, we have an application that's member facing for our customers. It's based on our DotNetNuke platform. Engage Software is a proven vendor to have expertise and experience working with our chosen technologies. We needed a vendor with the ability to lend support to our various projects in times of pressure.

How did you select Engage Software as your solution partner for these endeavors?

We've interacted with them on a few separate occasions through our client work. That's how we initially became aware of them. We had a very positive experience with them. Their customer service, their wherewithal, everything about the organization was really positive. We felt strongly about their leadership and initiated a conversation about partnering with them. After conducting our due diligence, we felt confident that they could what we needed.

Could you describe the scope of work delivered over the course of this relationship?

They provide business development services in terms of qualifying the solution for our customer, and really helping them understand how they can solve their technical challenges. They do that with us as well, with our systems, as a client. They provide all the associated project management services, the design, architecture, IT [information technology] readiness as well as the actual development work.

These engagements run anywhere between $20,000 and $125,000, depending on the scope of the project.

How long have you had an ongoing relationship with them?

We've used them for a little more than two years now.

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback that would demonstrate the effectiveness of the work they've delivered?

As a result of the initial success with our mutual customers, we've really expanded our coverage. It started out as two or three customers, by coincidence, not by effort or strategy, and we have now 12 customers that are working with Engage around business development and technical implementations. Given how rapidly our relationship has grown, and how satisfied our customers have been, I'd say the net results are positive.

Because they have clear understanding of our products, they have a distinct advantage over other CMS [content management system] vendors. They don't require the same learning curve. They've already completed deployments for several of our mutual customers. They also have great strategic insight. They're more than engineers working alongside us. They're capable thought partners that can really execute a sound strategy. They drive results.

In retrospect, are there areas in which you think they could improve as a service provider?

Yes, and this is directed at both of us. We could really continue to improve our marketing, to be able to communicate our value proposition more broadly to our mutual customers. We offer something very unique and very effective, and gaining more exposure is the stage we're at right now.