Building strong brands to drive growth

We are a B2B Strategy Firm.

We're working hard helping our clients grow their business. We spend our time inside the offices of high-growth tech companies, global professional services firms and companies that are creating truly meaningful stuff.

Clients include: Citrix, RocketFuel, AppAnnie, Facebook, PubMatic, AWS, Unum, Coho Data, Kleiner Perkins, Informatica, Drawbridge, PubMatic, VMware and many more.

- We deliver positioning strategies that accelerate growth
- We drive clear differentiation in market
- We create stories that move people

- We make marketing work harder

- We enable sales teams with the tools they need

- We create categories that stand out

- We align leadership teams

- We design brand experiences

- We operationalize and socialze strategy for immediate impact

Oakland, CA
  • Emotive Brand
    580 2nd Street, Suite 245
    Oakland, CA 94607

We work with ledership teams of high growth tech companies, professional services firms, and purpose-led businesses.

Key clients include: Citrix, Facebook, Rocket Fuel, AWS, Cadence, VMware, AppAnnie, Drawbridge, BAL, Unum, Kleiner Perkins, Gibson Dunn, Pubmatic, UPS, Unum, Zynga, Chartboost, Coho Data, Informatica, and many more.

Repositioning for Predictive Marketing Platform

“I was impressed with Emotive's research ability and I appreciated the thoroughness.”

June 2016 - July 2017

Through a multi-phase process of research and analysis, design, development, and launch, Emotive helped the client reposition themselves in their target market.

Redwood City, California
Eric Duerr
CMO, Rocket Fuel

A market survey and news stories evidenced a successful repositioning within only 6 months. Emotive’s thorough research enabled effective design and development. They maintained client support even after the budget was reduced in advance of selling the company.

I was the CMO at Rocket Fuel, which sold a predictive marketing platform aimed at large agencies and marketers who were seeking to bring more predictive, AI-driven capabilities into their marketing.

What challenge were you trying to address with Emotive Brand?

When I came in as CMO, the company was positioned as a programmatic advertising company. The challenge was that this category was becoming commoditized and didn't reflect the business challenges that our technology solved. When I looked at the technology and the go-to-market strategy, I came to the conclusion that we were in the wrong category and that we needed to move into a new category called predictive marketing.

I called upon Emotive to help me with the repositioning from programmatic to predictive. We went through 4 processes. The first one was the analysis and research. They spent a lot of time talking to customers and analysts and watching our internal work. Then they went into the design phase. My team designed iteratively with them and we went through multiple iterations.

Phase three was the development. They worked closely with our team. They were creating things that we needed to change like web copy, campaigns, our PR and research. They didn’t just give us branding assets but they also really elaborated on what it was going to take to reposition the company across reputation, demand, and sales enablement.

One of the founding partners was my main point of contact.

How did you come to work with Emotive Brand?

Word of mouth. My CEO had worked with them before and had suggested I work with them. I met the founding partner and within a few seconds figured out that I wanted to work with her. Their team has a contagious energy.

We spent between $200,000 and $1 million.

The first wave was completed from June to September 2016. They did ongoing work in 2017 and stopped in July 2017 because at that point we were selling the company.

We did a brand awareness survey that ran in Market Quarterly. With the repositioning, we went from being known for programmatic to being known for being a predictive platform. We were able to shift that much in about a 6-month period.

The results were incredible. An example of the measurable impact was an NPR message that was published. I cared about our story landing with reporters. We saw that happen, and we got an increased perspective.

How did Emotive Brand perform from a project management standpoint?

They were on time and on budget. The team seemed to really get things done. I never worried about them missing a deadline and they never came back and asked for more money unless it was for a new scope. They treated me as if I was the executive.

At the end of 2016, as we were getting ready to sell the company, we were preparing to reduce our marketing spend. I called them and told them that we were going to stop the work. They responded that they weren’t done with the project and wouldn’t let go of it until it was done. They were with us from beginning to end.

I was impressed with the analysis and research, which was really helpful. That got us to a great space on design and then we really collaborated on the development. I've worked with a lot of branding agencies before and most of them listen to what you have to say for a little bit, and then they come up with the ideas. They feel like they're in the business of just generating ideas. I was impressed with Emotive's research ability and I appreciated the thoroughness. One of the guys actually flew out to New York to watch me on a panel and shadow me in meetings. That was pretty cool for a marketing firm.

I also liked that the first thing they did with the design was too bold. I appreciated that they were willing to go there.

The only place I think is tricky for them is that they need to figure out how to describe value to non-marketing, non-brand people. My CEO knew them and still didn’t really understand what they were doing when he looked at statements of work. Articulating the business impact of their work is important and they can improve on that. Otherwise, the quality of work was great. The team was good.

They never missed a deadline.

Brand Refresh for Software Consulting Company

"Their thought leadership sets them apart."

Jan. 2015 - Ongoing

As an IT company changed business models, they looked to Emotive Brand to help refresh their brand positioning and tagline to distinguish themselves as the ethical leader in custom software development.

Portland, Oregon
Tim Winner
COO, Metal Toad

Energetic and supremely creative, Emotive Brand stands out from other agencies through their ability to keep teams on task and achieve objectives in a thoughtful way. They put people first and understand the importance of having the right leadership in place for projects to be a success.

Metal Toad is a software consulting company based in Portland, Oregon. We do everything from telematics to wind power, working with some of the biggest entertainment brands in the world. I'm the COO.

What challenge were you trying to address with Emotive Brand?

We were trying to establish a brand refresh on our tagline and positioning. Our business had pivoted from doing less CMS work to doing more custom software solutions. With our changing business, we were unsure of how we wanted to position ourselves. We engaged the team at Emotive to come in and help us with a process that they call Fast Forward.

Emotive Brand did a lot of pre-interviews and research. They came to our office for an entire week to meet our leadership team. Emotive came in with their team and helped us define what we were trying to say, what was important to us, and what differentiated us in the market. They really helped us develop our leadership. I was amazed by their thoughtfulness, their approach, and the way they were able to turn things around. When we would go home at the end of the day, Emotive would stay up and work. In the morning, they'd have new ideas and be ready to go. It was a super collaborative process.

We came up with a new tagline: "We live by a different code." Metal Toad leads the ethical software movement and they helped us with how we were going to roll out our new statement to our company and to our clients. We produced a video, we bought t-shirts, and we really just brought our team together. Emotive Brand helped us throughout the entire process.

We worked with Tracy [Co-Founder & Chief Strategy Officer, Emotive Brand]. Taylor [Strategy Director, Emotive Brand] was there and they had a writer. It was a team of three that came on site.

How did you come to work with Emotive Brand?

Emotive was my first provider at Metal Toad. Our founder met with Emotive. We had already done a project with them for another client. We also worked on their website for them. During that engagement, I really enjoyed working with them. I enjoyed Tracy's energy. They have a "people first" approach. It was a wonderful engagement.

We've spent around $150,000.

We started working together in January 2015 and the work is ongoing. We rolled out the new tagline and changed all of our collateral in October 2015.

Our business has grown by 40%. Our team is very proud of our rollout of the new brand and tagline. Differentiating ourselves as an ethical software company and living by a different code has been very well accepted throughout the organization.

How did Emotive Brand perform from a project management standpoint?

Flawlessly. I was blown away. It was impressive to watch. It was mainly my creative director who dealt with the tools that they used. I never heard of any complaints.

It's their energy, their thought leadership, and the way they approach the brand of any company. A lot of branding agencies come in with great ideas, but the foundation isn't there. Emotive spent a great deal of time with us, making sure that our leadership was able to implement what we were trying to do. Their thought leadership sets them apart.

Bella [Co-Founder & CEO, Emotive Brand] could be a little more forward-facing. They've had a bit of turnover within their own company. Taylor [Strategy Director] is no longer with them and we really enjoyed working with him. Every company is going through that in this market.

They kept us on track.
    We got great value for our money. They were really invested in our company.
    We had a very condensed timeline and they exceeded my expectations.
    I already have.

Employer Branding for Multi-National Tech Firm

"I always feel like we come away with something that’s really unique, not sounding like every other company."

2015 - Ongoing

Emotive Brand assisted in two brand development/internal culture projects. They performed research and worked with leadership to build brand strategies and visuals to help the company stand out in the market.

San Jose, California
HR Director, Large Tech Company

Emotive Brand is creative and innovative. Their process for determining brand strategy runs smoothly and flexibly, and they collaborate professionally with internal teams. They lent expertise in design, copywriting, and strategy, and the number of applicants per listing has risen significantly.

I work at a multi-national tech firm, and I’m an HR manager focusing on communications.

What challenge were you trying to address with Emotive Brand?

We were in the process of developing our employer brand, which is important for us, as we compete for a lot of talent in Silicon Valley and around the world, especially in our niche technology industry. It was critical to have a stronger employer brand to be able to compete and hire the best people.

Having an employer brand also helps with engaging current employees and helping to reinvigorate the pride they feel in working for us. Our average retention here is about 10 years. People work here a long time, and sometimes they can lose sight of what makes this company unique and special. Refreshing the employer brand was a way to also communicate with them and remind them what makes this a great place to work.

It was part of a broader strategy for us to elevate our brand in general, not just for candidates and employees. As a 27-year-old company, it was an opportunity to reinvigorate and refresh who we are.

Their process is great. I’ve now worked with them on two different employer brand development projects. They are super creative, they get involved with the leadership team, and they’re incredibly professional. They do a lot of research first into what makes the company genuinely and authentically unique in the industry. They look at what employees are saying about it, find those special nuggets, and then look at how those special things differentiate us from the market.

They begin with really broad-based research into who we are, what our employees and partners love about us, and how that compares with our competitors. They find the special place that combines all those things to make us stand out in the market, and they speak very authentically to who we are. The process itself starts with that research, working with our leadership and our people. From that, they develop a brand strategy, then follow with the creative to build an identity and a visual identity.

In the initial phase of the project, the first deliverable was an employer brand guideline. This was the foundation of our employer brand, who we are, what we sound like, how we make people feel, and then what we look like. Using that, we also worked with them on additional creative assets, such as social media, banners, website collateral, and print collateral, like recruiting flyers. We did a big poster campaign to launch the brand. They also helped us choose custom photography for our brand.

The co-founders, Tracy and Bella, were very involved in the project and led the strategy. We also worked with a few account managers. They have a creative writer and a creative graphics team. They have a few strategists and writers, so we probably worked with six or seven people at Emotive.

How did you come to work with Emotive Brand?

I found them five years ago when they were quite small. They had been written up as one of the cool, upcoming agencies in the Bay Area. I worked with them when I was at a startup, and it was a very successful partnership. I really loved them and, since then, I’ve always come back to them for any type of employer brand or creative agency needs.

How much have you invested with Emotive Brand?

We’ve spent about $250,000.

We started working together five years ago, and our relationship is ongoing.

We’ve gotten more people applying to Cadence jobs year over year. That could be attributed in part to having a stronger employer brand. We’ve gotten a lot of informal feedback. People want more of it all the time. They’re always asking me to put things in this style, even over our corporate brand style. Internal feedback has been very positive. Externally, we’ve seen a steady increase in the number of applicants per position.

How did Emotive Brand perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re great; they’re really on top of it. They always provide us project plans to get started and then update it as needed. I really appreciate that they’re flexible. Often, they’ll put a very aggressive timeline in place, which is fantastic. Smaller companies can often move quickly, but right now, I’m at a very large company and sometimes things come up, and that project timeline has to be pushed. They’ve always worked with us really well on being flexible and being able to adapt to our needs at the moment. I’ve always really appreciated that. They’re very structured in terms of how they approach the project, so I know where we stand. If we need to adjust, we can go back to them and have that conversation.

What did you find most impressive about Emotive Brand?

They’re really good at building authentic brands and collateral that are very unique. I’ve worked with them at two very different companies, doing two very different products, and approaching two different audiences. Each time, they were able to come up with something that was very true to that company and also differentiated in that market. That’s why I go back to them. They’re able to make something beautiful out of whatever is already there and true without making things up. Their writing is fantastic and it’s differentiated in the market. I always feel like we come away with something that’s really unique, not sounding like every other company. They’re able to do that by finding the things that are true and special. They’re also great to work with and super fun.

Are there any areas Emotive Brand could improve?

I can’t think of anything.

Overall Score It’s awesome 95% of the time, but they miss the mark a little bit the other 5%. Everyone has good days and bad days, and they’ve also had some internal changes. It’s generally fantastic.
    I’m generally the one pushing the timeline out, but they will push it out occasionally due to other projects. They’ve always been super flexible with us, so I’m happy to return the favor, but there have been a few times where they needed to push it out.
    I originally looked at other agencies to get comparative quotes. They were very affordable at that time. Now they’ve gotten bigger and a bit more expensive, but they’re still incredibly affordable. They provide high-quality, amazing work.
    The quality of the end product is extremely high. They often hit it right on the mark the first time. Sometimes they don’t, so you need a few iterations to get to an end product that will resonate. I’ve always been happy with what comes out of it.
    I have recommended them many times.

Branding & Messaging for Digital Advertising Startup

"They deliver excellent quality."

Aug. 2014 - Ongoing

Emotive Brand initially provided complete branding and corporate messaging guidelines for a digital advertising firm. The team now provides external marketing strategies via product positioning.

San Mateo, California
Brian Ferrario
VP of Marketing, Drawbridge

Since the start of the relationship, the brand’s revenue has grown by several thousand percent. Emotive Brand’s ability to clarify campaign ideas and tailor messaging to a specific audience continues to boost sales and strengthen the partnership.

Drawbridge is a Silicon Valley privately-held digital identity company. I’m the head of marketing.

What challenge were you trying to address with Emotive Brand?

Our first engagement with them was to set overall corporate messaging, positioning, and brand guidelines to rebrand ourselves. They did everything soup to nuts, except the name. They did a new logo, a new tagline, and a new look and feel. The second engagement is more of product level engagement to delineate our product lines and do messaging and positioning for those. We wanted to also turn that into external campaigns including words and pictures and the look and feel.

Emotive Brand started off with a discovery workshop where all the stakeholders got together to talk about the project and what we want our messaging to be. Their value add is looking through what we provide and clarifying it. They provide insights and craft the deliverables, including the brand guidelines document and a messaging and positioning document. They provide guidelines on the physical dimensions, font, logo usage, and color palette and showed us mockups of the analog and digital advertising. They showed us what banner ads, print ads, and billboards would look like, along with top-level messaging and sub-messaging by audience. Each product has a certain audience or certain vertical they deal with. This helps our sales people know what to say and how to describe it.

We’re in the middle of our second project. The first deliverables were messaging and positioning through that same process of discovery where they talked with business line leaders, product line leaders, and executives. They also did customer outreach to see what they valued. Emotive Brand makes sure that the deliverables hit home and that the nomenclature of the customer matches that. This project was more on the brand palettes on a product-by-product campaign basis. They came up with a campaign theme and an overarching statement with language that drills into that. It’s more external facing marketing speak that could influence a presentation or deliverables like collateral, etc.

How did you come to work with Emotive Brand?

I found them through one of our venture capitalist investors. They had a directory of services that people had approved. They had good reviews, which was a good reference check on them. We used them the second time because of the work they provided us on the first engagement.

How much have you invested with Emotive Brand?

The first engagement was $110,000. So far, the second engagement has been $135,000.

We started working with them in August of 2014, and the work is ongoing.

In terms of revenue, we’ve grown by a couple thousand percent since we’ve engaged them. We’ve been on the Inc. 5000 fastest growing marketing and advertising technology companies for two years in a row. We haven’t done a brand study, but we’ve seen huge influence in recall, recommendation, and awareness based on that work. Website traffic has tripled over three years.

How did Emotive Brand perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re super responsive. They have a project management leader who does the calendar and is a super value add to make sure the pitch is going to go well with the broader executive team. We can send feedback and recommendations back and forth and do editing, sanity checking, etc. We’re able to communicate with the senior people or whoever we need to.

What did you find most impressive about Emotive Brand?

They give you access to senior leadership. I’ve priced out other Bay Area firms, and they’re pretty frugally priced.

Overall Score So far, it’s been great. Their external guidance and consultation is getting us where we need to go faster.
    They’re good at keeping projects moving and working within the constraints of busy client scheduling. There’s a lot of moving parts.
    They’re extremely good value for what these services cost in the Bay Area.
    They deliver excellent quality.
    We’d definitely recommend them.

Rebranding for Marketing Automation Platform

"Their strengths lie in their smarts, fiscal responsibility, and project management."

Mar. 2015 - Jan. 2016

Emotive refreshed an obsolete corporate brand and employer narrative, which had an impact on customer and employee satisfaction. The project team updated the company’s logo and other visual elements.

Redwood City, California
Matt Wolfrom
VP of Corporate Communications, PubMatic

The brand evolution led to a vast improvement in the company’s image, demonstrating Emotive’s smart design and insightful research. Other highlights include fiscal responsibility, savvy client management, and dynamic leadership.

PubMatic is a marketing automation platform for publishers, which allows them to get the most value for their audience relationships now that advertising has moved to a programmatic model. It’s a global company with offices in New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, Pune, and Germany. I was VP of corporate communications when I worked for PubMatic.

What challenge were you trying to address with Emotive Brand?

We were in a crowded, devalued ad tech space, and we were looking to reinvigorate the brand. Since the company started ten years ago, our corporate brand had not evolved. We weren’t getting recognized as a true technology company; instead, were viewed as an old ad tech company. Recruitment in employee relations was a challenge. We had a high dissatisfaction among employees on where the company was going, the vision, and their perceived value.

They worked on two things. There was the corporate narrative of the company and how that strengthened the corporate brand. In addition, we had to look at the employer brand narrative. The first step we started with was determining the narrative of the company. How are we different? Who are we? What do we do? If we weren’t here, why would that matter? We started by engaging the senior team. Emotive did a lot of research, and they mastered our industry quickly. I can’t stress enough that the ad tech programmatic space is full of jargon. It is dense and complicated and everything looks the same. They took the time to understand the market and where we fit in. They got the information through interviews with both external and internal people. We have a complex business, and they were able to break it down.

The biggest thing they helped us to do was talk in human terms. In ad tech and marketing tech, we tend to talk to ourselves instead of talking to the customer. Emotive’s work helped people truly understand our value proposition, how it was going to impact them, and why they should consider talking about it. We were helping provide technology solutions that are independent, open, and transparent. However, that message wasn’t getting across. Emotive helped us do that from a narrative standpoint.

We didn’t change the logo. Instead, we revamped it by putting a chiclet in front that showed what we were becoming—a platform that customers could use to consume the technology and services that aligned with their business strategy. We showed the difference between our platform and taking a rigid off-the-shelf solution. Emotive Brand’s work on the logo brought the platform into focus and they gave us a fresh color palette. They also inspired strategies on how to bring that to the company, both internally and externally. We also revamped our sales decks. As a result, the sales teams were excited and it gave them new energy. People started looking at us in a different way. We became a sophisticated platform and solutions provider that people saw as innovative versus old.

The employer brand side is just as important. We wanted to help the publishing industry survive and thrive. That became the rallying cry for our employees. They really believed that what they were doing was important—not only to themselves but beyond ad tech. Our tagline was “What you do @PubMatic matters.”

Finally, PubMatic has a diverse employee set with all different cultures. A lot of the offices were distant and disassociated with the brand. They felt the company revolved around our RedWood City headquarters and our New York office where the president is located, and that it wasn’t inclusive. When we landed on the “Helping Publishers Thrive” motif, we brought that to life visually through elements with the old publishing aspect. We took images of our employees, and they became the brand. This made them feel that they were part of a bigger company. It was really impactful, especially on retention and recruiting. Emotive gave us a fresh look, and it’s still being used today. I’m proud of both elements, even though I’m no longer with the company. You know something is having an impact when elements of it still exist and thrive. Emotive was a tremendous partner in helping us get there.

How did you come to work with Emotive Brand?

We found Emotive Brand by word of mouth in the Bay Area. Our head of HR heard about them. They fit our ethos—hardworking and smart. Plus, they weren’t too big of a company. They were agile, adaptive, high-energy, and collaborative. They also had a good portfolio that helped put them over the top.

How much have you invested with Emotive Brand?

We spent between $50,000 and $200,000 over the course of our relationship. They weren’t cheap, but they weren’t overly expensive. They were smart about how they structured it. We got our money’s worth and more.

We started working with them in March of 2015 and we rolled everything at our sales conference in January of 2016.

We saw an improvement in our customer satisfaction scores. That had a lot to do with Emotive’s work because of the energy that came out of it. We saw a decline in the attrition rate and a massive improvement in our net promoter score among customers.

How did Emotive Brand perform from a project management standpoint?

They were dogmatic. Paige was the project manager, and she was on me on certain things when we were getting close to the redline. They manage the client extremely well, in a way that was kind but stern. They kept us on point. Also, they have the ability to let the project sit for a while if we have something else we need to do, and then pick it up later. They were great partners.

What did you find most impressive about Emotive Brand?

Their strengths lie in their smarts, fiscal responsibility, and project management. Their design work is great too. They took the time to understand our space. Tracy, one of the co-founders, is very smart, full of energy, and willing to tackle any problem. Bella is the other founder, and she is an operating dynamo. She puts processes in place to make sure that they manage their diverse client base well. That means Emotive has a process that helps keep the trains running. Tracy can get the creative teams and strategies in place, and she doesn’t have to worry about the details because Bella is doing that. They have a great partnership.

Are there any areas Emotive Brand could improve?

The design work was great, but their team could have been stronger. I think it is stronger now. They had a great design guy who was working with us, but then he moved on. They should add more services under their belt. For example, they don’t have website design. They’re not a one-stop shop. Sometimes that’s good because you don’t have to cover the costs associated with that. I think they do what’s right for them.

Overall Score They became good colleagues and friends, and I still keep in touch with them even beyond trying to work with them.
    As a testament to Bella, the process they have in place is fantastic. Their project management was outstanding.
    Initially, our boss said we didn’t have the budget for it. He asked me what I wanted him to do, and I told him to find the money. I said the return on the investment would be ten times, and it’s true.
    They were smart and efficient and helped us move quickly.
    I’m trying to get them to work with me at the company I’m at now. I’d recommend them to anybody who has a branding issue.

Brand Name & Positioning for Legal Firm

“They were genuinely caring and passionate about their work.”

June 2017 - Jan. 2018

Emotive devised a brand name and provided strategic input.

San Francisco Bay Area
Chief Strategy Officer, Legal Firm

Emotive’s creative process was effective, while their responsiveness and genuine interest contributed to positive results.

I am the chief strategy officer at a law firm.

For what projects/services did your company hire Emotive Brand?

We needed help with branding one of our business units.

We wanted a new positioning for our business unit as well as concrete ways to activate and communicate this positioning.

We’ve worked with Emotive before and thought that they were suited for this assignment.

There was a stage of interviews and information gathering. After the information was synthesized, we had several brainstorming sessions. The project culminated with a half-day session at a retreat.

The team was a good mix of their founders, creatives, and a research person.

The outcomes have been included in the business unit's strategic plan and are currently being used.

It was very effective and timely.

They were genuinely caring and passionate about their work. Also, they didn't hesitate to be direct when needed.

Any need for improvement was discussed and solved in real time.