The best mobile and web apps in Chicago

Gold

Eight Bit Studios creates award-winning apps and memorable client experiences. Because every bit counts. We’re a smart, energetic crew of tech experts from the midwest. Our team rocks at UX, UI, Development, Testing, and Project Management.

Your vision becomes our passion. We’ve partnered with billion-dollar enterprises to self-funded startups. We are insanely curious, aim to solve pain points, and strive to leave things better than we find them. Let’s bring your app to life!

2008
Chicago, IL
  • 350 W Erie St, #300
    Chicago, IL 60654

Some of the passionate groups with which we’ve worked:

Echo Global Logistics, UL, New Balance, Trident, Hasbro, GrowIt, LyteShot

EchoDrive Image

EchoDrive

Put your communication and load management on cruise control with EchoDrive.

GrowIt! Image

GrowIt!

The fastest growing mobile gardening platform in the USA.

Leanr Image

Leanr

Achieve healthier results by combining quantitative fitness data with qualitative feedback.

UI/UX Design for Musician Equipment Marketplace

“Eight Bit Studios is always willing to put in extra effort to make a rock-solid product.”

Apr. - Sept. 2019

Eight Bit Studios provided UI/UX design services for a musician gear company. Their team built a prototype from an existing iOS app, enhancing the look and feel of the platform.

Tim O’Bryan
CEO & Founder, Rigfish

The prototype has received positive feedback from musicians, manufacturers, and end-users who had used the previous iteration of the app. Eight Bit Studios goes above and beyond to provide helpful advice while also allowing the client to steer the project. Their team is professional and creative.

I am the CEO and founder of Rigfish, a gear app for musicians. The app initially is geared towards guitarists but we plan on expanding the platform. It serves as a social network for musicians to trade best practices around the gear they use and have a personal workspace to manage their gear.

What challenge were you trying to address with Eight Bit Studios?

The existing prototype I had was a nice illustration, it just needed a design enhancement. I wasn’t happy with that iteration so I decided to bring in an outside team.

Eight Bit Studios designed both a clickable prototype and an actual prototype for development for the app. I explained my requirements to their team in a few initial meetings, including the strategy of the business and how the design would best reflect that. We walked through the old prototype so I could point out what I saw as deficiencies I wanted to optimize.

Our teams put together a statement of work and went through our requirements at a kickoff meeting with the entire project team. They ensured that we all knew the scope of the project, the areas of focus, and the timeline. Eight Bit Studios then provided UI/UX design services to the iOS app.

I worked with 6–7 members of the Eight Bit Studios team, depending on where we were in the project. Their project manager ensured resources were allocated properly on both teams and made sure the trains were running on time. We also had a team of multiple UX and product designers.

How did you come to work with Eight Bit Studios?

I did some online research and also reached out to some contacts in the industry. I had opening discussions with different design and development shops and spoke to their past customers. Ultimately, I decided to go with Eight Bit Studios.

Our engagement with Eight Bit Studios ran from April–September 2019.

I’ve met with a number of end-users that I reviewed the application with and they all came away with positive impressions of it. All of them had seen the earlier versions of this app and felt that we had delivered something that met their needs.

I also attended a conference that included not only end-users, which are the musicians themselves, but manufacturers and retailers. I shared the app with them at the conference and they were all impressed with it.

How did Eight Bit Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

They were exceptional at project management. I always knew how were actually doing as far as planned activities versus what had been completed or how far we were budget-wise. I knew how we were tracking and who was working on what at what time. This was helpful because if I had questions, I knew who to go to to get answers. It made us all a lot more productive.

Eight Bit Studios is an incredibly tight team. They’re passionate about delivering a good product, which sounds like a throwaway marketing line but happens to be true. They personalize their projects and made sure I was extremely happy with the results. Eight Bit Studios is always willing to put in extra effort to make a rock-solid product.

They weren’t afraid to share their opinions, even if they disagreed with me. Their team would strongly advise me when they felt I was going in the wrong direction. I almost always ended up following their advice but if I didn’t want to they would respect that. Their experience and expertise mattered to me.

I knew that I was selecting a big-time reputable design shop with a history of strong and efficient projects. For a bootstrapped company like mine, it was a little overwhelming. I was used to working with one designer at a time and all of a sudden I had a relatively big project team. There’s a reason they do things that way, and I learned that later. They could communicate to a bootstrapped company about how they go about the project and why they do that. In the end, I saw the value in their approach.

Trust them. They’re good at what they do. Eight Bit Studios runs the project very effectively and have, in my opinion, the best designers around. Let them do what they do, ask questions, and collaborate. Know that you’re getting a great experience with people passionate about delivering a solid project. Allow them the space to give you what you want.

UX/UI Design for Machine Learning Company

“Our project was complex and fairly confusing, but they stepped into it with an open mind and tried to understand us.”

Nov. 2018 - Jun. 2019

Helping create the interface that consumers can interact with, Eight Bit Studios managed UX/UI design and provided UX research and strategy.

John Wellehan
CEO, Affect X Technologies

Eight Bit Studios delivered the first iteration of the software and the feedback has been positive. Exceptional listeners, they went above and beyond to meet all needs, while their superb communication skills made them easy to work with.

I'm the CEO of Affect X Technologies. We use machines to understand people's cognitive and emotional states.

What challenge were you trying to address with Eight Bit Studios?

We wanted to make sure that our interface resonated with our consumers, so we were looking for a vendor to help us design the new interface for our machines.

Eight Bit Studios created the UX/UI design, focusing on the nature of the experience we were looking for. We're breaking new ground in order to communicate with consumers in the ways that haven’t been used before. We take complex technical concepts and simplify them, making it possible for our consumers to understand them and interact with them. Eight Bit Studios provided the UX research and strategy, helping us bring our idea to life.

We had a project manager and there was a team of people working on our project.

How did you come to work with Eight Bit Studios?

We found them through Clutch.

We worked with them between November 2018–June 2019.

We have the first iteration of our software, and we've received very positive feedback on it.

How did Eight Bit Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

They were excellent. They laid out the whole plan at the beginning and communicated with us regularly. We used Slack and video conferencing to stay in touch, and we also met them in person.

They didn't take a prescriptive approach. Our project was complex and fairly confusing, but they stepped into it with an open mind and tried to understand us. Other vendors that we interviewed wanted to tell us what we needed, but Eight Bit Studios listened to us and tried to think about the end consumer.

No. They did a great job.

They made the whole process easy for us.

They were fantastic.
    They're not cheap, but it's worth it.

Mobile App Enhancement for College Prep Nonprofit

"They’ve done the best work I’ve seen from an outsourced development team."

Jul. 2018 - Ongoing

Eight Bit Studios updated the user experience of an Android and iOS application for a higher education nonprofit. Their tasks include working with Objective C, React, and JavaScript.

1,000 - 5,000 Employees

Washington, DC
Aaron Lemon-Strauss
VP, The College Board

Eight Bit Studios successfully addressed the application’s shortcomings and offered practical ideas for future enhancements. They work faster and are more cost-effective than their competitors. Strong communication and organization practices highlight the team's project management approach.

I am the vice president of The College Board. We are a national nonprofit that helps advanced students have successful college experiences.

What challenge were you trying to address with Eight Bit Studios?

We engaged Eight Bit Studios because we needed to upgrade a native app that was not working as well as we needed it to.

We relied on Eight Bit Studios to determine the root of the user experience problems within the application and make technical updates as necessary. The app is built for iOS in Objective C and for Android in React and JavaScript.

Their team consists of 4–5 people, but Brett (Managing Partner, Eight Bit Studios) is our main point of contact.

How did you come to work with Eight Bit Studios?

If I remember correctly, Eight Bit Studios simply responded to our RFP, and they were the best company for the work.

Our engagement began in July 2018 and remains ongoing.

Overall, they’ve been very efficient in fixing and updating our application. They’ve supplied higher-quality work faster and at a more reasonable price than our past vendor.

How did Eight Bit Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re very responsive. We maintain a shared Jira account to track their progress, and we’re happy with the communication. At one point, they needed to exceed the allocated work hours, but that was communicated well in advance, so we’ve had very few issues.

They’ve done the best work I’ve seen from an outsourced development team.

No, they’ve met all of our expectations.

They are experienced in their space, so I would trust their ideas on features as well as maintenance work.

App Dev for Financial Services Company

"They took the time to really learn about our complex organization."

March 2017 - Ongoing

Eight Bit Studios assembled the value proposition for a financial services association. They developed an app that delivers resources, tools, and a community to its target audience.

Park Ridge, Illinois
Manager, Financial Services Company

The test group is still small, but user numbers and time spent within the app exceed goals. Eight Bit Studios took time to understand the organization, and they delivered a complex project within a tight time frame.

Our parent organization is an association whose members are in financial services. I manage a new sister association for financial advisors who don't yet have the necessary qualifications to join our parent organization.

What challenge were you trying to address with Eight Bit Studios?

We wanted to provide resources and tools to our audience to help increase their productivity and gain long-term success. We needed help to develop offerings that would resonate with our audience.

We hoped to offer digital resources and community content to our target members. Eight Bit helped us develop an app that delivered the resources, tools, and community that would enable this audience to learn and grow. It was developed for iOS, Android, and also as a web app. They came up with all the designs and wireframes for us.

We worked directly with about six people. Most of our contact was with a project manager.

How did you come to work with Eight Bit Studios?

We researched different vendors and reached out with RFPs. Eight Bit was one of the three agencies on our final shortlist. All three did presentations for us, and we ultimately decided to work with them.

We started around March 2017, and the project is ongoing.

We're in a test phase now and have intentionally limited our audience. Metrics we measure include the number of test users and the average daily user time spent in the app. Both metrics are generally above our goal, and we're very pleased with the outcomes.

How did Eight Bit Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

They performed very well. We had a quick turnaround on our launch, and this was a huge undertaking. The entire offering from our association is the app, and they were essentially responsible for our whole value proposition. They did an excellent job. We have weekly calls with them, and they come into our office monthly to present their designs or projects they're working on.

They took the time to really learn about our complex organization. This is a brand-new audience for us, and they researched everything on the frontend and learned a lot about us. Once they understood what we wanted to deliver, they used their intelligence and creativity to develop a product that was above and beyond anything we expected.

Having never worked with an app developer in this way, we're constantly trying to hone the project management. We're still working on making this collaboration as efficient as possible.

Mobile App Dev & UX for Logistics Company

"Eight Bit Studios has been able to maintain the level of quality that initially attracted us to them."

2016 - Ongoing

Eight Bit Studios contributed conceptually and ultimately developed an Android and iOS mobile application for a logistics company. They also created a web portal and augmented staff to various UX projects.

1,000 - 5,000 Employees

Ilhan Kolko
Head of Product & UX, Echo Global Logistics

Eight Bit Studios successfully delivered a high-quality application that has experienced a promising adoption rate among industry professionals. The team has provided consistent quality throughout the engagement and exhibits a dedication to practical project management methods.

I am the vice president of product and UX at Echo Global Logistics. We offer transportation management and brokerage services using our own proprietary technology.

What challenge were you trying to address with Eight Bit Studios?

As part of a larger initiative to redefine our digital solutions, we engaged Eight Bit Studios to help us in two primary areas. First, we worked with them to develop a mobile app for one segment of our market—specifically, the truck drivers that work for the carriers we interact with. Secondly, we have used resources from their staff to facilitate some of the UX and information architecture projects we have.

The mobile application has been developed for Android and iOS and functions as a digital load-management system that allows drivers and carriers to communicate more seamlessly. As part of their preparation, Eight Bit Studios conducted field research to learn of the pain points troubling many drivers and their managers. Eight Bit Studios participated in the discussions of technical requirements and ensured that the products would connect with the API we built internally. They developed the final application and the frontend templates for a web portal.

At its peak, the team has consisted of 8–10 people, including mobile app developers, a project manager, a UX designer, a frontend developer at times, and a QA technician.

How did you come to work with Eight Bit Studios?

Our CEO was familiar with their work from other initiatives he’s been involved with.

Our engagement began in 2016 and remains ongoing.

We’ve seen a lot of positive results since our app’s launch. It has been adopted at a very encouraging rate. This market, just like any other industry, is in the midst of digitization, and I think we’ve been able to provide a reliable product that can be a part of the changing behavior in the space.

How did Eight Bit Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re straightforward to work with. They feel like teammates within our organization. It’s nice to see that they have the same values as us when it comes to customer satisfaction. Their project management methods—including how they give us updates or break down the billable work—are a definite strength.

It’s common for a long-term vendor to exhibit a drop-off in quality after a while, but we’ve never experienced that with this team. Eight Bit Studios has been able to maintain the level of quality that initially attracted us to them.

No, they’ve been a great partner for us.

This is especially true if future clients decide to augment resources to their team, but we’ve found it’s best to outline the responsibilities of each person at the start of the process. That will facilitate a perfectly integrated team and working atmosphere.

I'd recommend them to anyone.

Mobile UI & Product Design for Online Ticket Marketplace

"If you’re looking for a lean team that’s quick and responsive, Eight Bit Studios would be a great fit.”

Apr. - Aug. 2018

Following an initial discovery phase, Eight Bit Studios created a new visual direction for a set of mobile apps. They gauged the new UI elements in perception tests before compiling their work into a UI kit.

Head of UX, Online Ticket Marketplace

Perception testers and internal stakeholders alike responded favorably to the new design elements, commending the bolder, updated aesthetic. As a boutique agency, Eight Bit Studios remained customer-focused throughout. They had a nimble team and consistently documented the process.

I’m the head of UX for an online ticket marketplace.

What challenge were you trying to address with Eight Bit Studios?

We approached them to modernize the UI elements for our core native apps, update the browse experience for our product’s home search function, and build UI kits. The project was less about feature creation and more about refreshing the existing experience for our mobile apps.

We started with a kick-off session and initial discovery workshops so that they could better understand our business. This also posed an opportunity for us to align our brand internally.

From our discussions, they created a set of style tiles that demonstrated different visual directions. We conducted perception tests, comparing sample screens based on their designs with our existing app as well as our competitor’s.

The team applied the new visual direction to our happy path flow before solidifying the sketch UI kit. They looked at the components that didn’t show up on the main screens and bundled the assets into the kit.

The team consisted of the director of product design, a UI designer, a UX designer, and a project manager. Occasionally, there was also an account representative.

How did you come to work with Eight Bit Studios?

We went through the typical RFP process, engaging several local Chicago shops. Eventually, we heard of them by word of mouth through my colleagues. They had a good vibe and focused on app work, so we felt comfortable moving forward with them.

Their work lasted from April–August 2018.

We’re currently redeveloping the apps using their designs, so nothing is live yet. That being said, both our internal team and perception testers have been receptive to the new visual direction. It’s bolder, modern, and more impactful. We’re using their work to help standardize the look of our web products.

How did Eight Bit Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

For the most part, we did weekly design sprints, and they delivered everything on time. The team would send us work for review, and we’d meet the following day to talk about it and brainstorm tasks for the next sprint. After each session, the project manager would post our meeting notes. They would also send out reports on the overall project status. We coordinated the project using Basecamp, setting up checkpoints to ensure constant communication.

They’re a smaller shop with a quirky, more casual culture.

No, I can’t think of anything specific.

If you’re looking for a lean team that’s quick and responsive, Eight Bit Studios would be a great fit. They’re a small, boutique shop that’s appropriate for startups and have a more organic process, overall.

iOS Mobile App Dev for Chore Management Platform

“Their internal organization and discipline are extremely helpful to us and they keep our projects on track.”

May 2016 - Ongoing

Eight Bit Studios overhauled an app for family chore management. They added financial functionality, designed user-friendly UI/UX, and embellished over 80% of the existing content and structure.

Ada Vaughan
CEO, Chore Check

Eight Bit Studios allowed the app to become a revenue stream, which has had a dramatic effect on the business. They have a systematic methodology and are strong communicators. They take a personal interest in the projects they support and act as a partner.

I’m the CEO of Chore Check, an app for parents to track their kids’ household chores and pay their allowance on prepaid debit cards.

What challenge were you trying to address with Eight Bit Studios?

We had another company build us a very basic first version, but wanted a development organization to help us with complicated new tech integration and enable a new piece of functionality.

We started with an intake meeting where we described the existing functionality and gave them access to review our code. We outlined our goals for growing the business and they came back with an estimate for the first round of development. We had a long list of things that we wanted to prioritize for a customer-facing iOS app for the App Store.

They started with our existing app and rewrote or embellished over 80% of it, including all the functionality for integrating the prepaid debit cards. They connected all the financial services, then we had an iterative process to make minor changes. There were a lot of pieces and services to add, including at least three financial technologies necessary to make the whole thing function properly. They also did all the UI/UX design on the web and iOS versions.

We have a project manager and three people who worked on iOS development. We started with one project manager and were assigned a new one after a reorganization. We also have a principal person who did all the backend and API development work. We also had a senior designer and a couple of account assistants. In all, we had a team of about 10 people.

How did you come to work with Eight Bit Studios?

My partner knew them from a previous project. We did talk to a couple of other companies but didn’t do a lot of quoting. Eight Bit had a strong lead, thanks to my partner’s knowledge of their work.

We’ve spent around $200,000.

We started working together around May 2016. Development is still ongoing and we just recently completed a small update with them.

The version of the app they completed was our first real revenue stream, which had a dramatic impact and helped monetize our business. Getting all the financial pieces into place was no small task and we’re really pleased with the result. They were pivotal in scoping the whole project out and running tests. Their methodology was very systematic and they were really careful about timing updates so we didn’t interrupt our users.

Families love our app and find it useful. They can assign any kind of task to their kids and some parents get very creative with the chores or behavioral things they choose to incentivize for their children. They like the friendly interface that is easy to work with.

How did Eight Bit Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

Their real strengths lie in communication. If I put something in Basecamp, it always gets attended to. Even if they can’t update something immediately, they put it into their schedule and it doesn’t get overlooked. Their internal organization and discipline are extremely helpful to us and they keep our projects on track.

They really believe in the projects they work on and are selective about what they accept.  Even though they were vendors, they act like a partner. When a user has a problem and our support can’t figure it out, we can loop them in and they are just as determined to fix the issue as we are. They really care about us, which goes a long way in making the collaboration enjoyable and effective.

I can’t think of anything offhand they should improve. It took us a while to get used to how militant they were about putting everything into Basecamp. We resisted for a while, but once we got into the habit, we saw how useful having one system to track everything was. It kept us from overlooking tasks and operated as a central hub for the project.

Overall Score I’m very pleased with their work.
    They’re great at making conservative promises and then overdelivering.
    Their prices are fair, but high.
    I'm very confident in the quality of the work.
    I’ve already referred them.

UI/UX Mobile App Design for Insurance Company

“ … they brought in their intellectual capital and helped us accomplish many things.”

Apr. - July 2018

Working collaboratively with an in-house team, Eight Bit Studios helped develop a prototype of a mobile application and assisted with UI/UX design.

Tom Dell'Aringa
UX Strategist, Allstate

Knowledgeable and experienced, Eight Bit Studios was instrumental in accelerating the project timeline. They made recommendations without taking over the project and worked quickly and effectively to accomplish all goals.

I'm a UX manager at Allstate.

What challenge were you trying to address with Eight Bit Studios?

We wanted to create a new design system for our mobile application. Our in-house team was leading the project, but we needed a company to help us accelerate the process.

Eight Bit Studios came in for a kickoff meeting, where we planned our sprints and explained to them what we wanted to accomplish in phase one. Then, they helped us with prototyping and animation. We wanted to use a Card component in our apps, making the process simple and effective, so we took two weeks to work on that and gave them some direction. After that, we had collaborative sessions every Monday and then met again on Fridays to go over everything they had accomplished.

We worked with an architect, a visual designer, and a project manager.

How did you come to work with them?

We were not happy with the agencies we used in the past, so we were looking for a local company that had experience with native mobile applications. We came across Eight Bit Studios via a random search. After we looked at their website and examples of their work, we decided to invite them for an interview.

We spent about $80,000.

We worked with them from April–July 2018.

They definitely accelerated our timeline. They were able to follow directions and didn't try to take too much control. It was a complex project, but they brought in their intellectual capital and helped us accomplish many things. Now, we can try to build the application.

How did they perform from a project management standpoint?

We had two meetings a week–our team went there every Monday and they came to our office on Fridays. We also communicated via Basecamp, Slack, and email during the week. In addition, they documented everything they were doing.

I appreciated the fact that they didn't try to take over the project. Agencies often want to put their mark on the project and come with their own ideas. But we made it clear upfront that we would be leading the project and they were respectful of that, so it was a very healthy relationship. We told them how to help us and they worked collaboratively with us on the design.

It's always better to do more work in-person. They were only able to come on-site once a week, so our team had to go there on Mondays. We would have preferred it if they made more effort to come to our office twice a week and our team didn't have to travel.

Web & Mobile App Dev for Job Recruitment Tool

"What they have produced has fit the bill and worked seamlessly."

Jan. 2017 - Ongoing

Eight Bit created an app MVP for an HR conference to help recruiters connect with candidates in unconventional ways. The team ultimately will create 2 apps, in a full-service build, from design to end product.

Lawrence Kearns
Founder, YOURistics

The team created a great MVP for the conference and multiple HR  professionals expressed interested in its further development. The team has met all deadlines and communicates well during development. They delegate projects according to each developer's strength, resulting in outstanding work.

I am the founder of YOURistics, a startup in the talent recruiting space.

What challenge were you trying to address with Eight Bit Studios?

I wrote a paper on a prospective new ecosystem in which candidates and companies can find each other through unorthodox or new means other than the curated resume and job description process.

Eight Bit Studios helped me prototype a desktop application for companies who were recruiting and a mobile phone app for the candidates searching for new opportunities. They developed the project from scratch.

The first objective I had was to make a presentation at an HR conference in Chicago. Starting with the rudimentary ideas I had, they developed a working prototype that could be demonstrated at the conference with the goal of explaining the new ecosystem idea. They developed that prototype and then the animation sequence of that prototype sufficiently for me to explain the idea.

Subsequently, we embarked on developing the mobile application for the candidates’ side. They brainstormed and enriched the idea while paying attention to the platform’s graphic imagery, as well as the utility of it. The culmination of this, which is in the works now, is a video that aggregates both sides of the application to more fully explain the idea and the startup.

The biggest challenge for me was to come up with a visualization of the application, which was actually spatial given my orientation. The biggest contribution they made is a way to create visual matching that's user-friendly on multiple different devices and that meets the criteria. They also provided rudimentary graphics and imaging for the company, and suggestions for scripting in a way to explain the idea.

I have dealt with ten to twelve individuals, including the three founders and a project manager, the business manager, a graphics person, and the software development team. I had contact with all of those individuals including their user experience experts. It has been a collaboration involving multiple disciplines within their company.

How did you come to work with Eight Bit Studios?

I interviewed multiple companies in Chicago before selecting them. I first came across them in Built In Chicago and then received a referral. A published report described the ten best software companies in Chicago. It was from multiple points of contact, and then I went right from that point to an interview.

They were not afraid to challenge my ideas and preconceptions. Rather than somebody who was just going to draw the project that I wanted or realize the project just as I described, they were engaged to really try to improve, scrutinize, and question it. They were the most challenging, and I thought that was a refreshing take rather than just executing something that I already laid out.

We've spent around $60,000 at this point.

We started working with them in January 2017, and we're still working with them.

The best result would be the reactions of HR professionals who have seen the opportunities side of the platform. The feedback was almost uniformly positive, and they wanted to see further development. Eight Bit has been exceptionally good with sticking to deadlines and our budget. They hit all the dates and met or exceed every budget. What they have produced has fit the bill and worked seamlessly.

How did Eight Bit Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

They use Basecamp, a Chicago-born product, because I'm doing my other work as well there. It's something I can check into when I have availability. The project manager keeps it up-to-date, so it's very well-organized and allows for the collaboration of multiple team members to collaborate. When we reach out to them, their response is immediate. If not, they respond within the hour or day.

From a startup point of view, since they have so much experience doing applications and maintaining them, and they also have experience starting companies from the ground-up, they bring a little more scrutiny to the process and understand the full lifecycle of the application. I found that to be pretty unique, a deep experience from the older founder onto the coding abilities of the youngest developer. They have a good range of experience and perspectives that are informing decisions on the development.

Nothing really comes to mind at this point. As we go further into the project, I might have other points of view, but I have nothing very critical to say. We've had garden-variety technological problems like with group calls or video calls, but it's pretty minor.

Overall Score It has been a good experience to date. I look forward to advancing the project further.
    They've hit every deadline, even ones that we added at the last minute or late in the eleventh-hour. They've met all deadlines without fail.
    They're a very good value. Since they rely on many experts within a team, there's some overhead to organize that. That gives the best talent, which is more expensive than a small team.
    They've been exceptional in terms of their own ambition for the quality of the product and pushing that envelope more than they had to.
    I would say my experience has been extremely positive. I would recommend them quickly.

Development for Augmented-Reality Gaming Platform

"They’re very professional, friendly, and eager to deploy their deep technical knowledge."

Feb. - May 2016

Eight Bit Studios conducted broad mobile and platform diagnostics while developing a gaming app and implementing Bluetooth connections to AR hardware.

Mark Ladd
CEO, LyteShot

Thanks to Eight Bit Studios’ broad skill set, product development finished on time and within budget, in time for meetings with prospective investors and advisors. The team’s proactive communication and problem-solving abilities ensured a completely functional solution.

I am the Chief Executive Officer and Founder of LyteShot, which is an interactive, augmented-reality gaming platform. We combine mobile gaming apps and Internet of Things (IoT) with augmented-reality smart glasses for an immersive gaming experience anywhere.

What challenge were you trying to address with Eight Bit Studios?

Our CTO had recently departed the company, and the technology needed to be completed to stay on track with our product development roadmap. We asked Eight Bit Studios to not only come in and forensically review the platform for its operability, but also piece the platform back together for us. It required a learning curve of the architecture on both the mobile side and the platform server side, as well as the hardware (IoT) side. One thing that drew us to Eight Bit Studios is that through our initial interviews with them, they were extremely well-rounded in each of these facets. Other companies were specialized in one area or another, but Eight Bit Studios demonstrated a broad knowledge in these different areas.

We worked with four or five members of their team, and likely more people were working behind the scenes. They went through all our code on GitHub, the Amazon server side, as well as our mobile applications to diagnose and debug. From the peripheral side, they were also working on our code that ties back to the servers.

Out platform enables the player to utilize the Lyter/ LytePuck peripherals anywhere by wirelessly connecting back to your phone via Bluetooth, and then all of the in-game data is then sent back through the cloud to the servers and has to make that round-trip in a very short time.

So, they were working on the server side code as well as the mobile game code and the peripheral code, ensuring that all those were talking to each other. They did a really great job reconstructing it.

How did you come to work with Eight Bit Studios?

We had received a referral from some people in the tech development community and afterward, we went online looking for a team that had all the skill sets we needed. We found companies specializing in one or two areas, but not all the facets we needed for our platform. We had read really positive reviews about Eight Bit Studios online, and it might have been on Clutch so we confirmed that we would be in good hands.

How much have you invested with Eight Bit Studios?

It was approximately $50,000.

We started working with Eight Bit Studios in February of 2016, and everything was completed in May/June of that year.

We put Eight Bit under some tight deadlines to get all the work done so we could go in front of investors and prospective clients, and they did it. I don’t know if that’s a metric per se, but it was one that we valued. They were able to effectively ‘peel back the layers of the onion’ to find the root of the problems, and they found a lot of things that they re-coded to make it more seamless.

Without Eight Bit Studios, we likely would have had to go to multiple shops in order to get the work done, whereas Eight Bit had all the expertise under one roof. They’re a very collaborative multi-disciplinary team which is exactly what you want to attack a complex problem. They probably have some of the best client services I’ve seen, as they were really hands-on, all the way to the top to the bottom of the organization, and everyone knew the issues and goals as well as the timeframes involved. We were impressed with that.

How did Eight Bit Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re excellent. Jennifer, the project manager, did a great job of keeping us updated and corralling the resources internally to make sure we made our deadlines. Knowing that we were on a tight crunch, she was very calm, cool, and collected – grace under pressure. Because we’re local, we were able to have in-person meetings, but we would also do conference calls as well.

What did you find most impressive about Eight Bit Studios?

It’s their customer service, as well as their deep knowledge and willingness to dig into a problem. They had to learn a lot about our platform in a short amount of time, which they did very capably. And there’s a great vibe emitted by their whole studio. They’re very professional, friendly, and eager to deploy their deep technical knowledge.

Are there any areas Eight Bit Studios could improve?

We had a tough problem to solve, and there’s no right or wrong way to get there. We were pretty pleased with how they went about it and kept us up to date. We don’t have anything bad to say - we were very pleased.

Overall Score They were just solid. We were pleasantly surprised after working with some other shops that weren’t able to figure it out.
    We’re really pleased that they were able to jump in. There may have been a mobilization issue early on. As always, the client wants it the next day. They were coming off some projects, so it was more of a timing issue. They did a great job in general.
    I think we got everything we asked for, and we’re very pleased.
    They were very thorough in their findings. The project manager provided updates, as well as the project team. They did a thorough analysis of our code and diagnostics, and then provided the remedial action plan and gave us options.
    I’ve already recommended them two or three times.

Gold