Let’s create the world’s best mobile apps

We're a smart, rowdy, byte-sized group of pixel-slingers from the midwest, here to crush it for brands on their mobile and web initiatives.

2008
  • Eight Bit Studios
    343 W. Erie #200
    Chicago, IL 60654
    312.281.8823

From billion-dollar enterprises to self-funded startups, we strive to build long-term relationships with those who share our passion for technology and design. National brands: Echo Logistics, UL, New Balance, Trident, and Hasbro. Startups: GrowIt!, LyteShot, Curate, Fooda, GiveForward, and BetterWeekdays. Chicago Icons: The Field Museum, Guaranteed Rate, The MacArthur Foundation, The Chicago Fire, Groupon, and Threadless.

EchoDrive

Put your communication and load management on cruise control with EchoDrive.

GrowIt!

The fastest growing mobile gardening platform in the USA.

Leanr

Achieve healthier results by combining quantitative fitness data with qualitative feedback.

Web & Mobile App Dev for Job Recruitment Tool

"What they have produced has fit the bill and worked seamlessly."

Jan. 2017 - Ongoing

Eight Bit created an app MVP for an HR conference to help recruiters connect with candidates in unconventional ways. The team ultimately will create 2 apps, in a full-service build, from design to end product.

Lawrence Kearns
Founder, YOURistics

The team created a great MVP for the conference and multiple HR  professionals expressed interested in its further development. The team has met all deadlines and communicates well during development. They delegate projects according to each developer's strength, resulting in outstanding work.

I am the founder of YOURistics, a startup in the talent recruiting space.

What challenge were you trying to address with Eight Bit Studios?

I wrote a paper on a prospective new ecosystem in which candidates and companies can find each other through unorthodox or new means other than the curated resume and job description process.

Eight Bit Studios helped me prototype a desktop application for companies who were recruiting and a mobile phone app for the candidates searching for new opportunities. They developed the project from scratch.

The first objective I had was to make a presentation at an HR conference in Chicago. Starting with the rudimentary ideas I had, they developed a working prototype that could be demonstrated at the conference with the goal of explaining the new ecosystem idea. They developed that prototype and then the animation sequence of that prototype sufficiently for me to explain the idea.

Subsequently, we embarked on developing the mobile application for the candidates’ side. They brainstormed and enriched the idea while paying attention to the platform’s graphic imagery, as well as the utility of it. The culmination of this, which is in the works now, is a video that aggregates both sides of the application to more fully explain the idea and the startup.

The biggest challenge for me was to come up with a visualization of the application, which was actually spatial given my orientation. The biggest contribution they made is a way to create visual matching that's user-friendly on multiple different devices and that meets the criteria. They also provided rudimentary graphics and imaging for the company, and suggestions for scripting in a way to explain the idea.

I have dealt with ten to twelve individuals, including the three founders and a project manager, the business manager, a graphics person, and the software development team. I had contact with all of those individuals including their user experience experts. It has been a collaboration involving multiple disciplines within their company.

How did you come to work with Eight Bit Studios?

I interviewed multiple companies in Chicago before selecting them. I first came across them in Built In Chicago and then received a referral. A published report described the ten best software companies in Chicago. It was from multiple points of contact, and then I went right from that point to an interview.

They were not afraid to challenge my ideas and preconceptions. Rather than somebody who was just going to draw the project that I wanted or realize the project just as I described, they were engaged to really try to improve, scrutinize, and question it. They were the most challenging, and I thought that was a refreshing take rather than just executing something that I already laid out.

We've spent around $60,000 at this point.

We started working with them in January 2017, and we're still working with them.

The best result would be the reactions of HR professionals who have seen the opportunities side of the platform. The feedback was almost uniformly positive, and they wanted to see further development. Eight Bit has been exceptionally good with sticking to deadlines and our budget. They hit all the dates and met or exceed every budget. What they have produced has fit the bill and worked seamlessly.

How did Eight Bit Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

They use Basecamp, a Chicago-born product, because I'm doing my other work as well there. It's something I can check into when I have availability. The project manager keeps it up-to-date, so it's very well-organized and allows for the collaboration of multiple team members to collaborate. When we reach out to them, their response is immediate. If not, they respond within the hour or day.

From a startup point of view, since they have so much experience doing applications and maintaining them, and they also have experience starting companies from the ground-up, they bring a little more scrutiny to the process and understand the full lifecycle of the application. I found that to be pretty unique, a deep experience from the older founder onto the coding abilities of the youngest developer. They have a good range of experience and perspectives that are informing decisions on the development.

Nothing really comes to mind at this point. As we go further into the project, I might have other points of view, but I have nothing very critical to say. We've had garden-variety technological problems like with group calls or video calls, but it's pretty minor.

Overall Score It has been a good experience to date. I look forward to advancing the project further.
    They've hit every deadline, even ones that we added at the last minute or late in the eleventh-hour. They've met all deadlines without fail.
    They're a very good value. Since they rely on many experts within a team, there's some overhead to organize that. That gives the best talent, which is more expensive than a small team.
    They've been exceptional in terms of their own ambition for the quality of the product and pushing that envelope more than they had to.
    I would say my experience has been extremely positive. I would recommend them quickly.

Development for Augmented-Reality Gaming Platform

"They’re very professional, friendly, and eager to deploy their deep technical knowledge."

Feb. - May 2016

Eight Bit Studios conducted broad mobile and platform diagnostics while developing a gaming app and implementing Bluetooth connections to AR hardware.

Mark Ladd
CEO, LyteShot

Thanks to Eight Bit Studios’ broad skill set, product development finished on time and within budget, in time for meetings with prospective investors and advisors. The team’s proactive communication and problem-solving abilities ensured a completely functional solution.

I am the Chief Executive Officer and Founder of LyteShot, which is an interactive, augmented-reality gaming platform. We combine mobile gaming apps and Internet of Things (IoT) with augmented-reality smart glasses for an immersive gaming experience anywhere.

What challenge were you trying to address with Eight Bit Studios?

Our CTO had recently departed the company, and the technology needed to be completed to stay on track with our product development roadmap. We asked Eight Bit Studios to not only come in and forensically review the platform for its operability, but also piece the platform back together for us. It required a learning curve of the architecture on both the mobile side and the platform server side, as well as the hardware (IoT) side. One thing that drew us to Eight Bit Studios is that through our initial interviews with them, they were extremely well-rounded in each of these facets. Other companies were specialized in one area or another, but Eight Bit Studios demonstrated a broad knowledge in these different areas.

We worked with four or five members of their team, and likely more people were working behind the scenes. They went through all our code on GitHub, the Amazon server side, as well as our mobile applications to diagnose and debug. From the peripheral side, they were also working on our code that ties back to the servers.

Out platform enables the player to utilize the Lyter/ LytePuck peripherals anywhere by wirelessly connecting back to your phone via Bluetooth, and then all of the in-game data is then sent back through the cloud to the servers and has to make that round-trip in a very short time.

So, they were working on the server side code as well as the mobile game code and the peripheral code, ensuring that all those were talking to each other. They did a really great job reconstructing it.

How did you come to work with Eight Bit Studios?

We had received a referral from some people in the tech development community and afterward, we went online looking for a team that had all the skill sets we needed. We found companies specializing in one or two areas, but not all the facets we needed for our platform. We had read really positive reviews about Eight Bit Studios online, and it might have been on Clutch so we confirmed that we would be in good hands.

How much have you invested with Eight Bit Studios?

It was approximately $50,000.

We started working with Eight Bit Studios in February of 2016, and everything was completed in May/June of that year.

We put Eight Bit under some tight deadlines to get all the work done so we could go in front of investors and prospective clients, and they did it. I don’t know if that’s a metric per se, but it was one that we valued. They were able to effectively ‘peel back the layers of the onion’ to find the root of the problems, and they found a lot of things that they re-coded to make it more seamless.

Without Eight Bit Studios, we likely would have had to go to multiple shops in order to get the work done, whereas Eight Bit had all the expertise under one roof. They’re a very collaborative multi-disciplinary team which is exactly what you want to attack a complex problem. They probably have some of the best client services I’ve seen, as they were really hands-on, all the way to the top to the bottom of the organization, and everyone knew the issues and goals as well as the timeframes involved. We were impressed with that.

How did Eight Bit Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re excellent. Jennifer, the project manager, did a great job of keeping us updated and corralling the resources internally to make sure we made our deadlines. Knowing that we were on a tight crunch, she was very calm, cool, and collected – grace under pressure. Because we’re local, we were able to have in-person meetings, but we would also do conference calls as well.

What did you find most impressive about Eight Bit Studios?

It’s their customer service, as well as their deep knowledge and willingness to dig into a problem. They had to learn a lot about our platform in a short amount of time, which they did very capably. And there’s a great vibe emitted by their whole studio. They’re very professional, friendly, and eager to deploy their deep technical knowledge.

Are there any areas Eight Bit Studios could improve?

We had a tough problem to solve, and there’s no right or wrong way to get there. We were pretty pleased with how they went about it and kept us up to date. We don’t have anything bad to say - we were very pleased.

Overall Score They were just solid. We were pleasantly surprised after working with some other shops that weren’t able to figure it out.
    We’re really pleased that they were able to jump in. There may have been a mobilization issue early on. As always, the client wants it the next day. They were coming off some projects, so it was more of a timing issue. They did a great job in general.
    I think we got everything we asked for, and we’re very pleased.
    They were very thorough in their findings. The project manager provided updates, as well as the project team. They did a thorough analysis of our code and diagnostics, and then provided the remedial action plan and gave us options.
    I’ve already recommended them two or three times.

Mobile App Development for Digital Health and Wellness Tool

"They believed in [the project] almost as much as we did, and it felt like we were all part of a team."

Oct. 2015 - Ongoing

Eight Bit Studios developed an Android mobile app from a given set of APIs. They assisted with internal testing and user testing. If clinical trials are successful, Eight Bit Studios will extend the app to iOS.

Chicago Metro Area
CEO, Digital Health Solution

The completed Android app has received positive feedback with regards to the look, feel, and usability. Eight Bit Studios' team is very responsive, communicative, and easy to work with, which has led to a long-term, successful partnership.

Our business creates APIs to help support behavior change based on scientific research. I’m the CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with Eight Bit Studios?

We had a weight change intervention that we wanted to take from a paper version to an API version. We wanted to evaluate that, create a proof of principle mobile app for Android that used that API, and test the combination in a clinical trial. We couldn’t afford to hire individuals in each of the roles that needed to be done.

In terms of creating the API, we had a certain set of rules and responses. We wanted the API to take a set of inputs and apply a set of rules to generate responses which is what Eight Bit Studios developed. We were working under a research budget, so we were balancing a desire for something that performs well with something that is cost effective. They were great in working with us on that. We took that API and corresponding documentation, and they worked with us to do usability testing. We brought in other developers and had them review the documentation to see if they could perform the associated tasks. We wanted to be sure that the documentation was clear.

The second phase was to design an app that uses the API. That leveraged the full spectrum of what Eight Bit Studios does in terms of building the technology but also the design side. We did internal testing and we also just completed external usability testing. They were able to design the look, feel, and color scheme, the logos, and visual representations of what the platform does. If the clinical trial goes well with the Android version, we will expand into iOS as well.

How did you come to work with Eight Bit Studios?

I did a coding program to learn Ruby on Rails, and through that network, Eight Bit Studios was recommended to me. We looked at other firms, but the dynamic with their team and their expertise was the reason we chose them. Eight Bit Studios really understood what we were doing and believed in it.

We started working with Eight Bit Studios in October 2015, and the work is ongoing.

The app is currently still in clinical trial testing. Before we market the app, we want to be able to say we’ve subjected it to clinical trials and what the results are. Of the users in our usability testing, none had a major issue. There was no inability to achieve any of the designated tasks. The comments we received were that it is a very user-friendly app, aesthetically pleasing to the eye, and has a nice interface. One user commented that they liked the fact that if you enter your email in one place, it auto-populates in other places, and you just have to confirm it’s correct. The completion rate on all the tasks was 100% with no critical errors. The app is reliable regarding bug reports.

How did Eight Bit Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

Eight Bit Studios has this phenomenal tool that I’ve never seen before. They built it themselves. It shows where the project is regarding timeline and budget. It’s great to be able to visualize that at a glance because those are both important for me as the client. I love that I can access that easily and know where we are. They are very responsive. When we reach certain points of the project, they’ll email and ask if I want a meeting to go over things. When we had the meeting, all the people involved were there. My team likes their team so much that when we were doing t-shirts for the app, my team insisted that we purchase them for Eight Bit Studios as well. We have a regular weekly email from them, and during build time we had weekly calls with the project manager and whoever else needed to be on the call from their team. They’re local for me, so if I had wanted to have in-person meetings, they would have been happy to do that.

What did you find most impressive about Eight Bit Studios?

One of our concerns when working with external development shops on other projects was they don’t understand what you’re doing, and they don’t believe it in as much as you do. Eight Bit Studios always felt like they valued what we were doing. They believed in it almost as much as we did, and it felt like we were all part of a team. Everyone is always commenting on what a delight they are to work with. It’s been a great experience. Everyone there seems to love their job, and that delight passes over to our team. Eight Bit Studios' team members work hard, but they’re fun and funny at the same time. We really enjoyed that.

I don’t think so.

If we had our own development team, the hourly rate would have been lower, but then I would’ve had to have my own development team.
    I have already recommended Eight Bit Studios many times.

Web and Mobile App Dev for Supply Chain Firm

"These guys blended in right away. ... Eight Bit Studios had no difficulty understanding what we were trying to do."

$1,000,000 - $9,999,999

Feb. 2016 - Ongoing

Eight Bit Studios developed an iOS and Android mobile app for a supply chain firm. They worked smoothly alongside the in-house UX team and built the apps using Swift. Their team also provided a QA resource.

1,001-5,000 Employees

Ilhan Kolko
Vice President of Product Strategy and Innovation, Echo Global Logistics

During beta testing, the apps have received positive feedback. The developed solution saves time and increases productivity. Eight Bit Studios’ team has impressive project management skills and UX talent. Their early-on success has allowed for a valuable long-term relationship.

Echo Global Logistics is a non-asset 3rd party logistics company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Eight Bit Studios?

We were trying to build a solution for our truckloads transactional brokerage floor that would enable us to get tracking update more efficiently for the freight that we cover through the truckload carriers. We wanted to build a mobile app for the truck drivers and a web portal for the dispatchers who these drivers normally report status tracking and updates to. We don’t own any trucks, so shipments are not done with our trucks. We find trucks and our shippers' shipments go onto those trucks. The shipment piece was a challenge because we couldn’t get updates on the shipments and sometimes multiple people were calling the carriers. We wanted to build this proprietary solution to collect that tracking data along with the shipping documents that normally go along with the transactions.

We included Eight Bit Studios along with our internal UX [user experience] team and product team in the discovery process. Eight Bit Studios provided a project manager, a UX architect, and a digital analyst. The first idea was to get the life cycle of a transaction documented. This involved user journey definition, business analysis, product analysis, and capability analysis. Once we found the scope of the capabilities that we wanted to build, then we included their mobile app developers for iOS and Android.

We use Swift, and our in-house developers use C# services. We used seven or eight resources from their team. The project manager and UX architect were always with us. We also used a QA resource from them.

How did you come to work with Eight Bit Studios?

Eight Bit Studios is right around the corner from our office. Our CEO ended up meeting one of their co-founders at an event, and that was around the time we were talking about this mobility capability. We also saw some of their previous work. When we started the discovery process, we gave them a short contract for them to prove their value. These guys blended in right away. We have a unique business with a lot of complexities, but Eight Bit Studios had no difficulty understanding what we were trying to do. After that initial contract, we gave them the long-term project to complete. We did look at two other firms and ran the idea by them, but Eight Bit Studios was by far the best fit for what we were trying to do.

How much have you invested with Eight Bit Studios?

We have spent more than $1 million with Eight Bit Studios over the course of our relationship.

We started working with Eight Bit Studios in February 2016, and the work is ongoing.

Their UX team is phenomenal, and they blended really well with our in-house UX team. We have an ongoing retainer for a certain number of hours per week. They help us with other projects as well. Now that they’ve become domain experts in what we’re doing, their work is very relevant. We did a merger late last year at Echo by acquiring one of our larger competitors. The release just happened because we needed to wait for everything to clear with the merger. The beta program has just been out for a couple of weeks. The feedback we’re getting so far is really positive. This morning I got an email from a carrier saying it’s the best piece of technology they’ve seen in this industry.

We have pretty defined goals, and we’ll be able to realize those. The check calls are done by the same people that find trucks for us. Any check calls they make on a shipment that’s in transit is a loss of productivity. We’d rather have them be on the phones finding trucks for us. On average, the 7–8 check calls they make per load when they are managing 50–60 loads at once, will be eliminated. We’re cutting easily by 80% off the outbound calls that we make to the carriers and drivers. Also, when it comes to shipment document collection, on average, it takes about 7–10 days to collect the documents. This solution allows us to get them within the first 48 hours.

How did Eight Bit Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

We use consulting firms all the time, and I feel their project management is really good. Heather is the project manager, and she did a phenomenal job. That was one thing we were really impressed with. For a company the size of Eight Bit Studios, we didn’t expect the level of project management they had. We were ready to assign one of our project managers, but we didn’t need to. We used Basecamp for high-level communication, content sharing, and reporting. We normally use JIRA, so we had them use that for the development cycle.

What did you find most impressive about Eight Bit Studios?

Their UX talent is exceptional, and their project management capabilities are very impressive. We’re a young, growing company, so our culture is pretty casual. Eight Bit Studios was very easy to do business with in that regard. They’re very close to our office, so it was very common for us to go work there and have them come in and work here. Everyone felt at home.

Are there any areas Eight Bit Studios ould improve?

I’ve talked to Eight Bit Studios about this already. When dealing with enterprise software as we do, what Eight Bit Studios can do is not typically enough. We have to combine their resources and deliverables with something our in-house team can do such as C#. They don’t have C# resources, and they don’t claim to have them. If you’re building B2B applications, that does complicate things in the backend. They could have a continuous partner that does that type of work so that when they come across these types of projects, they could be a one-stop shop for the client. We don’t get the full package because we still have to write code against what they’re building.

Overall Score This was a difficult project. Eight Bit Studios was able to work everything out with us. The final product, as one our carriers said, is one of the best in the industry if not the best.
    We didn’t run into major timeline issues because of Eight Bit Studios' team. With the merger we were going through, it was not an easy time at Echo, but I think Eight Bit Studios was able to work through everything really well.
    Eight Bit Studios was not expensive for a boutique shop. They were right on for a company our size and our needs in our market here in Chicago.
    Their UX artifacts discovery deserves a perfect score. There is a lack of knowledge of enterprise technology, and they don’t have C# coders. The applications we received were bug-free, but there were issues when the app interacted with our services.
    I’ve already recommended Eight Bit Studios to people I know in this industry in Chicago.

Mobile App Development for Financial Services Company

"They have the best project management that I’ve ever worked with."

Sept. 2016 - Feb. 2017

Eight Bit Studios perform a rehab of an an iOS mobile app to supplement a pre-existing web app. Picking up the work from a previous developer, the team revamped the UI/UX design and provided Swift development.

Elgin, Illinois
Lead Front End Developer and Designer, Financial Services Company

The app is in the approval process for compliance with a parent company, and some updates are being planned. Since delivery, the app has been stable, and it works across multiple iPhone devices. The Eight Bit team was independent, communicated well, and responsive to questions.

My company is a financial services company where users can compare credit cards. I’m a lead frontend developer and designer. I design and code landing pages as well as design and display ads.

What challenge were you trying to address with Eight Bit Studios?

We wanted to develop an app to supplement our website, which allows users to compare credit cards using certain criteria and then to see the results. They can then look at the credit card detailed information or add the credit card to a comparison piece where they could compare several cards side by side. When they decide which card they would like, the app directs them to the browser that leads to the issuer’s landing page where they can apply for the card.

We had an iOS app created before we started working with Eight Bit, but we weren’t happy with it. We contacted Eight Bit and told them to do what they think is best. They took the project from UI/UX [user interface/ user experience] to design, and then development using Swift to code the app. Anytime there was an issue; they would get together as a team and come up with a solution. I also gave my suggestions which they took into consideration but did what they thought was best in the end. We gave input on certain milestones and design. They used a web service where they could load the designs, and we could add comments to it which was really helpful. They added a lot of nice touches to the app which is definitely what we were looking for.

How did you come to work with Eight Bit Studios?

My boss was looking online for app developers in the Chicago area and found Eight Bit and other firms. We ended up using a different contractor in the beginning, and we also had an in-house designer that was working on the app. We got back in touch with Eight Bit when the first contractor didn’t give us what we were looking for.

How much have you invested with Eight Bit Studios?

We spent over $100,000 on the project.

We started working with Eight Bit Studios in September 2016, and their part of the project was completed February 2017 including revisions requested by banks and us.

The app hasn’t been approved yet, but it was nothing they did. It’s a compliance issue that our parent company is helping us resolve. When it’s approved, we have a couple of updates we need to do. The stability of the app is very good. I tested the app across different iPhone devices, and it works fine. If Eight Bit finds any glitches, they let us know and, they’ll take care of it. Everyone in our company likes the app. The banks are excited that they have another avenue to showcase their cards.

How did Eight Bit Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

The first few weeks we started off slowly because we weren’t used to working with this type of design firm. Other design firms we worked with, we felt like we had to direct them more than them providing us feedback. After we had got over that hump, everything went fantastic. Our project manager was very nice and communicated well. I ask a lot of questions, but she didn’t mind and was very responsive. Jim was the programmer, and he was fantastic. After we had got through the design phase, I worked mainly with our project manager and programmer. The programmer took care of any issues which made us feel like he was dedicated to us. We agreed on a process to give feedback that worked for both of us.

What did you find most impressive about Eight Bit Studios?

We wanted a website in an app, but with certain app features that we can’t have on the website. For the most part, Eight Bit delivered that aspect. There were different animations and different UX flow. I was really impressed with their project management. They have the best project management that I’ve ever worked with.

Are there any areas Eight Bit Studios could improve?

Nothing I can think of. The experience was pretty seamless with Eight Bit Studios.

Any delays were because of us.
    I don’t know the cost, but I would say it was worth it to work with Eight Bit Studios. We will know after we launch the app if the cost was worth it by how much money we make.
    Everything was very seamless. Eight Bit Studios delivered on every aspect we were hoping they would.
    It was easy to work with Eight Bit Studios. They were very nice and took care of any issues we had.

App Development for Museum Focused Nonprofit

"The amazing thing about it is not just that Eight Bit Studios is coming in under budget, but they're not skimping on anything."

Eight Bit Studios developed an educational app for the iPad Mini. They will continue to work with the client in the future to update and expand the app.

Becca Weiss
President, Museums In Hand

Eight Bit Studios worked with the client to build an app that would not only achieve their vision but also create a solid framework for the organization’s goals moving forward. The app has received positive feedback from both students and teachers.

Museums In Hand is a non-profit organization that does museum outreach to underfunded schools through video technology. We do virtual field trips. We bring the apps into classrooms on iPads, along with lesson plans and that field trip experience into classes that don't have the resources to explore their local resources any other way.

I'm the President of the organization.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Eight Bit Studios?

This has been a pilot project, we're launching this as a concept to try and move forward and to expand our impact through reaching different museums, schools and funding opportunities. Now that the app is done, we can actually test how students respond to the technology in the classroom.

Please describe what product they provided.

It was an iOS-based app for iPad Mini.

How did you come to work with Eight Bit Studios?

We did our research, went through, and looked at some of the bigger names in the Chicago area. It was important for me to be local because I was definitely interested in working more hands-on and looking for a company that I could grow with in the future. As this is just our pilot project, I'll be coming back and working and expanding, so it was important for me to be close to the people I was working with.

Ultimately, by looking at Eight Bit’s past work and speaking with them, I knew that they were a company that really got onboard with their projects. They shared a lot of our values, and I was confident they could produce a really beautiful product at a really competitive rate. It was the best of all worlds.

The project ended up coming in under $20,000. It was the first time I'd seen anyone come in under budget so dramatically. I was really blown away by that!

The students absolutely love working with the app. It was really exciting to see. The students understood it right away. It was very intuitive. They were having a lot of fun. Students were enjoying it in a, sort of, game or entertainment-type capacity rather than it being educational. All the students we tested it on were really positive in their feedback. The teachers were excited to see them engaging with museum content.

How did Eight Bit Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

They have consistently delivered on time and on budget. Their system of working on Base Camp and keeping everyone organized that way is great. Their project manager was really wonderful and flexible and great at keeping everything together.

What distinguishes Eight Bit Studios from other providers?

The amazing thing about it is not just that Eight Bit Studios is coming in under budget, but they're not skimping on anything. Nothing feels rushed. Nothing feels left out. They're just very efficient. They're very honest about what you need to do at each stage of development. For us, they looked at us they said, "You're a non-profit. You're just starting out with a concept; you need X, Y, Z. These are cool features but they're going to bring your price way up, and it may not be what you need to do at this time." They really were honest.

I came into this with very little tech background, so I could have been the easiest person for them to go, "Oh no, you absolutely need to include all of the additional features". I would have accepted anything, but they were completely straightforward. That was really comforting for me.

Is there anything Eight Bit Studios could have improved or done differently?

Honestly, no. It was an incredibly positive experience. I'm looking forward to working with them in the future. I think they really set us up so that this app isn't just a throw-away app. I think they'll be able to build on it so it wasn't a wasted first run. They've really created something that will be in place going forward, just expanding it to get cooler.

They were incredibly on top of things and really flexible.
    I've already referred them to two.

App Development for Search Engine Startup

"I think [Eight Bit Studios] can serve many different clients well."

Eight Bit Studios redesigned the client’s existing app to provide a simplified, streamlined user-experience and to address issues with consistency and navigation.

Barry Malkin
Founder, Rivi

Eight Bit Studios was selected for this project because of their strong aesthetic, and the new design has received very positive feedback. The client appreciates Eight Bit Studio’s flexibility and professionalism throughout the project.

Please describe your organization. What is your position?

I'm the founder of Rivi. Rivi is a new type of search engine that allows you to search for products and places based upon trusted recommendations actively, and contribute your own unique finds.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Eight Bit Studios?

Before Eight Bit, our previous user experience design had inconsistent navigation and problems throughout. We needed our UX [user experience] and UI [user interface] to be streamlined to make a more user-friendly product.

Eight Bit's main role on this project was to simplify and streamline the UX and UI of my existing application.

How did you come to work with Eight Bit Studios?

We were looking for user experience designers in Chicago and looking at various websites and their work products. Eight Bit's aesthetic was something that stood out and that I was looking for.

Our design project has been on the smaller side.

It's early, but I think people universally love the design. They think it's outstanding.

What distinguishes Eight Bit Studios from other providers?

What I like about Eight Bit is that they're flexible enough for the startup or small project and professional enough to take on greater challenges and bigger scope projects. I think they can serve many different clients well.

Is there anything Eight Bit Studios could have improved or done differently?

Eight Bit is a busy team, so they could do a bit better on managing expectations on when certain tasks will be completed.

Ruby, iOS, and Android Platform Development for Startup

"Eight Bit Studios is hugely interactive, hugely supportive, and has a great culture with great people."

Eight Bit developed a platform that lowered barriers to charitable and nonprofit donation for the client’s users. Android and iOS apps were also developed later on.

Chicago Metro Area
Founder, Charitable Startup

Eight Bit’s interactive and supportive culture attracted the client to their services and eventually led to a strong partnership. The client does note a desire for better communication on the cost of the project.

The application is a nonprofit platform that gets people to give a small amount of money per day to a curated list of nonprofits.

I'm the founder and CEO.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Eight Bit Studios?

I wanted to lower the barriers of entry for people who would like to start giving to nonprofits.

Eight Bit provided the development for the platform. Rails development was used for the back-end, and then we have apps for iOS and Android.

How did you come to work with Eight Bit Studios?

I went through an exhaustive search going through 10 different firms in Chicago and narrowed it down to Eight Bit Studios. The culture was one of the big parts for choosing them along with their background. Some of the other mobile apps they had created were similar to the experience that I had in mind.

The project was more than $200,000.

What distinguishes Eight Bit Studios from other providers?

Eight Bit Studios is hugely interactive, hugely supportive, and has a great culture with great people. They are very nice and always fun to work with. To me, the biggest thing that I like about the firm is their culture of wanting to be interactive and supportive.

Is there anything Eight Bit Studios could have improved or done differently?

Eight Bit could have been better on hitting price. The overall experience was positive. I don't want to be overly negative. There's no such thing as a perfect firm, especially on the development side. There's room for improvement with better communication on the cost.

Wireframing and UX Design for App Startup

"[Eight Bit Studios] were very forthcoming and really helped us figure out what the best approach would be with the budget we had."

Eight Bit Studios designed a scheduling app, from the colors and logo to the user experience, with a strong focus on ease-of-use.

Peteris Freimanis
Co-Founder, App Startup

Eight Bit Studios worked with the client, a start-up, to give them exactly what they needed and ultimately came in under budget. The client notes Eight Bit Studios strong communication and genuine interest in helping them to succeed.

Our company is a start-up. We are working to create apps to help families have an easier life and to improve scheduling conflicts.

I am a co-founder and Chief Operating Officer of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Eight Bit Studios?

We founded the company to start a specific app. It's an app that helps families organize and put in all their children's activities, school being the logical one, but also sports, music lessons and all the craziness that families have. The more kids you have, the crazier it becomes.

The core of the app is really the whole idea of what we call, "Oh no!" moments. For example, when you're on your way to pick up somebody and you're stuck in traffic or your car breaks down and things like that. With our app there's a two-click way of sending a request to someone in your inner circle to help the user pick up or drop off somebody. You invite people to be part of that inner circle, be it your spouse, nannies, neighbors, grandparents and so on.

My co-founder is actually a developer, so he had already made a prototype that was functioning. What we needed help with and what Eight Bit is extremely good at, is design work. We needed help designing the logo, colors, and the most important piece: the user experience [UX]. We wanted to make sure that all the screens and all of the inputs created smooth sailing for the user.

How did you come to work with Eight Bit Studios?

We talked to three UX companies in the Chicago area. We ultimately picked Eight Bit Studios for two reasons. One, meeting with them; it was just a personal meshing with them. They understood what we were trying to do. We personally seemed to get along, and it matched with how we were thinking. We just really got a good vibe from all of them, from account management to the actual designers.

Secondly, seeing that we were are a start-up, they were extremely helpful and worked with us to be able to set a price to get the work done. They worked with my partner to understand what work he could do himself. They were very forthcoming and really helped us figure out what the best approach would be with the budget we had.

We would never have gone to that discussion with them if we didn't have that gut feeling that these guys are good and that they really understood us.

The original estimate was $10,000 to $15,000 but we actually came in under budget. I think that shows their way of working with clients. It was very clear that they did what we needed them to do. They didn’t overcharge us, and it was phenomenal.

Not yet. Because we're a start-up, my partner is the one who's actually doing all the code writing behind the app, using Eight Bit's design. He is actually doing all the back end and I'm doing all the testing. Because both of us have full-time jobs, this all happens at night. We're getting there. We're getting close and it's starting to iron itself out.

What distinguishes Eight Bit Studios from other providers?

Eight Bit Studios is understanding, and they work to try to understand their client’s point of view. They were a start-up at some point themselves, so they know how tough it can be. I think you can see that in them. They’re not a big machine that wants to go out and just get contracts. I found that to be very refreshing.

Secondly, what I also thought was awesome was not only their great work but their very easygoing approach. They are professional guys but at the same time so laid back and just understanding of how complicated it can be to do these things. It's hard and they know how it is hard. You can feel that they understand. They will do what they need to do to help you. Yeah, it's a business and they need to make money but you can feel that they really want to work with you, which I think was great.

Is there anything Eight Bit Studios could have improved or done differently?

To be honest, I don't have any complaints. I work with partners constantly so I know that you might be saying one thing and actually you mean something else. It happens, and a few times we would go in and I thought we would get something a little bit different, but nothing that I would say they're not understanding. I think the trouble was often on our end and how we were explaining what we’d like to see.

I actually don't have any negative feedback for them. Hopefully this is not our only app and we'll get more out there, and there is no doubt we will go back to Eight Bit Studios. Hopefully at that point we'll have a bigger budget so we don't have to do as much ourselves.

Overall Score I really felt that they were a partner working with us, and even had ideas about how we should think about our company to make sure that we were successful.
    There were a few times a week passed and I thought we would have something that we didn't. It might have been communication or just timing-wise.
    I would definitely recommend them.

Ideation App Development for Education Entrepreneur

"I get the impression that Eight Bit intrinsically cares about the growth and success of my product."

Eight Bit Studios built a website and an app for the iOS platform designed to facilitate collaboration among users. They will continue to work with the client on future updates.

Loran Nordgren
Professor, Kellogg School of Management

Eight Bit Studios have developed a close partnership with the client through their strong communication and professionalism. The client appreciates Eight Bit Studios’ help in growing his idea and turning it into a high-quality reality.

My app, Candor, is concerned with helping people collaborate more effectively, particularly in the area of idea generation. It’s not industry specific.

I’m the Founder and I’m also a professor at Northwestern at Kellogg, the graduate business school. Candor is a side project of mine.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Eight Bit Studios?

In my profession I do research on how people can interact and collaborate more effectively. Candor, the app, is an effort to put some technology behind the technique that I, and other management scholars have used for some time. The app is meant to answer the question “How can we harness the collective intelligence of groups?”

Eight Bit Studios has been the sole team from start to finish. Candor is a web and mobile application. They’ve developed both the website and the mobile versions. It is currently available on iOS, but as new rounds of funding come in, I want to expand it.

How did you come to work with Eight Bit Studios?

I had previously done some consulting work for another business who I felt had a good understanding of the mobile industry. Eight Bit was their first recommendation. I talked to a couple other agencies and felt best about working with Eight Bit.

The project up to this point is in the range of $50,000 to $60,000.

I teach thousands of MBA (Master of Business Administration) students every year and I introduce them to the app, and many of them have a background in information technology. I hear universally good things from my students about its layout and design. From technical third parties, I’ve heard a number of complimentary things about the professionalism behind the app. Eight Bit Studios has been very accommodating with me in working through the many iterations of the idea. The app has grown and some of that has to do with the idea behind it and a lot of that has to do with the look and feel of the product.

What distinguishes Eight Bit Studios from other providers?

There’s two things that stand out to me about Eight Bit. First, my perception is that they do high-quality work. There’s just a general professionalism around what they’re doing. Secondly, they’re just very responsive. It feels very personal. If I need to get on the phone to talk about a higher level issue, I don’t have to wait. I feel like they have a high touch approach.

Along the way there’s been some slight miscommunications at times which is bound to happen. Most of those were as much my fault as anybody’s. They’ve been very willing to sit down, correct things and get them right. What I appreciate most is that they check-in and seem involved in the project. I get the impression that Eight Bit intrinsically cares about the growth and success of my product. These things would make it hard for me to leave them.

Is there anything Eight Bit Studios could have improved or done differently?

I communicate those things directly with them. I’ve been very happy with the service thus far.

It’s hard for me to judge how competitively priced they are. They have always been within budget. They have never attempted to get me to go above budget.
    They have my complete confidence.