User experience and development for iOS & Android

Dom & Tom is an end-to-end digital product development agency focused on emerging technologies. From startups to enterprise solutions the apps we produce for our clients support their strategic initiatives first and foremost through open collaboration, forward-thinking user experience, engaging design, and cross-platform development for both web and mobile.

New York City, NY
    (773) 377-5585
    811 W. 7th St., 12th Floor
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (323) 510-2696

Priceline // General Electric // Hearst // Turner // Bloomberg // Houghton Mifflin Harcourt // Tyson Foods Inc. // McDonald's // The University of Oklahoma // Private WiFi // Fitch Ratings // Saban Brands // Bonobos // Citibank // AIG // The Emmys // Dignity Health // AmeriLife // Condé Nast // ideel // LECET // AARP // Lisa

AIG - Travel Claim Prototype

Dom & Tom designed and developed a protoype for AIG. This project was run using an agile methodology with a dedicated team.

Paul Frank - Responsive Web

Dom & Tom redesigned and developed the beautiful and iconic PaulFrank.com for the responsive web. This project took place at a lightning fast pace in order to launch in time for the 2014 holiday season.

Seventeen Magazine Official iOS App - Hearst Publications

Dom & Tom worked with Seventeen to develop their official application. Currently this app has 4+ stars in the iOS App Store.

University of Oklahoma - OU Bound iOS, Android & Web Application

Dom & Tom designed a PhoneGap application to help onboard new students at the University of Oklahoma. The app acheived almost 100% new user adoption with incoming Freshmen and D&T was brought on to develop a sister application shortly after launch.

CliffsNotes Official Website - Design & Development

Dom & Tom designed and developed CliffsNotes.com with the team at Houghton-Mifflin.

Saban's Power Rangers - Website Redesign

Dom & Tom redesigned the official Power Rangers website to be more kid-friendly.

General Electric - Intelligent Platforms

General Electric needed an eloquent way to display their predicative analytics software and real-time data to help their sales team speak about their services in a manner the consumer could understand. The GE team approached Dom & Tom with the opportunity to develop a web application which would make possible the aggregation and consumption of data relating to GE's industrial equipment around the globe. Dom & Tom delivered.

Priceline - Flight Finder Application

We built backend integrations and provided UX consultation for the Priceline application (that's probably installed on your phone). Many of our architecture decisions are still in place today.

Product & Website Dev for Management Consulting Firm

"Their developers are quite happy, and they’re happy to talk about any questions you have."

Feb. 2015 - Mar. 2016

Dom & Tom was subcontracted to build a B2C product based off a B2B diagnostic tool. A corresponding website was also developed for marketing purposes, which remains the primary focus.

Director of Marketing, Consulting Firm

Communication was seamless and reliable. Dom & Tom is more than willing to help clients fully understand each project element before proceeding. The resulting customer experience is less chaotic and more enjoyable.

I’m the director of marketing for a boutique consulting firm. We partner with organizations to help them better meet the needs of their employees, so they can have more effective, productive, and profitable organizations.

What challenge were you trying to address with Dom & Tom?

We hired Dom & Tom for two major purposes. One was our website and driving our business, and the other one was for the product that we actually offered to end clients. Mainly, we had the need to build a new product: a web-based application that would allow us to use one of our proprietary diagnostic tools in a B2C environment, which we had not had before, just kind of a normal B2B, nothing done online, very old school consulting type. We were looking to have an e-commerce-like platform with the ability to sell this diagnostic tool to independent coaches and consultants. We had looked to hire someone to build that out in an intentional and beautiful way, and also to manage our website on an ongoing basis for any updates that we may need or any major branding efforts, etc.

The diagnostic is a 20-question true/false questionnaire. The goal was to have that live online, and then have someone come in, create an account, purchase a license to use that 20-question questionnaire, and then through the platform, email their clients directly to drive them to the platform to take the questionnaire. The buyer would then get the full results, so they could go over how their client is managing their energy or how their responses showed up in an in-person meeting. This whole process was completely new for us.

The platform was custom-built. However, we had a fair amount of framework already in place from a previous build on our website from another developer. Dom & Tom came in to create something from scratch while also using code that they had nothing to do with, which I think is probably quite complicated and difficult.

Because our website was built on a custom CMS, we were only able to change small bits of text here and there. Dom & Tom made random marketing site-related changes as needed. For example, we wanted a new headline on the About Us page, and they changed that. They also built out multiple language functionalities for one of the proprietary tools that we have on our website. It’s all a bit complicated. Basically, they took a tool that was coded by another agency, fixed a boatload of bugs, and then proceeded to code the ability to have seven additional languages supported, which was huge for us.

There were two major reasons why we didn't re-contract with the agency we had used previously. I don't want to speak ill of them, but there were a lot of issues with their work, and the customer support was not there for us to get it fixed. The second issue was they wanted to move from a website development company to an iOS application development company. Basically, they didn't want us as a client anymore. Their work was sliding with us because they really didn't want to be doing it anymore, so it worked out well. I think they had a team of three to five members with two core project managers who covered all of our projects, and then the account owner or manager, and then the as-needed developers who came on.

How did you come to work with Dom & Tom?

We found Dom & Tom through a referral. The fiancé of one of my co-workers had worked with Dom & Tom in some way before. I’m not sure in what capacity, but he really liked the quality of work and the customer support that he had gotten, and he thought they would be a great place to look to potentially partner with. Our first call really sealed that for us. Our first account manager is no longer with them, but he was just phenomenal, and I think that’s been indicative of the people I've worked with the entire time.

We had two other companies under consideration at the time. We try to keep things to at least three when we’re looking at signing on new vendors. Dom & Tom stood out from the beginning, and quite frankly I think we were a bit biased in looking at the other ones because we had this co-worker’s fiancé saying he would vouch for Dom & Tom. He did vouch for another one of the organizations we had scoped out as well, but the two other ones.… One clearly didn't have the capacity to take on a new client, and they were really sloppy with their communications if they got back to us. The other one was just so expensive that I couldn't even begin to think about working with them. All three were local to us. They all had bases in New York, and I think they all had offices elsewhere in the state, and though those might have actually been their headquarters, the qualifier for the agency we would pick was that they had to have an office in New York. Locality was important to us, especially when we were building a new tool. We wanted to be able to have hands-on support with a UX person and to be able to scribble things on a piece of paper in real time and to explain by moving things around on a table, versus attempting to do that on Skype or whatever.

How much have you invested with Dom & Tom?

All in for everything, we’ve probably spent close to $200,000 with Dom & Tom. A sizable sum.

Everything that Dom & Tom did went successfully. In the end, we couldn't support the product as a company, and we actually ended up having to shut it down, which was a real bummer. That was all on us and our business processes. It had nothing to do with the actual quality of their work. I can say our head of business development and sales hated working with the old vendor, but he loved working with Dom & Tom and repeatedly said, “Those people are really good.” He does not have anything to do with our website other than when we’re using this multi-lingual proprietary tool, but he liked the experience with Dom & Tom.

In the fall, we hired a new CMO who wanted to switch to a different vendor and work with folks that she had been working with before, and we actually are in the process of a complete rebranding, so new logo, website, value proposition, the whole nine. I did want to have Dom & Tom in the running, but she was pretty adamant about working with people that she had worked with before, and she’s the boss, so that’s the way it crumbles. I do have to say I was probably more upset with having that conversation with the Dom & Tom team than they were. They were like, “That happens. No big deal. We’re sad not to be working with you.” They were very understanding and it made for an easy conversation. It’s always crummy having to fire someone.

How did Dom & Tom perform from a project management standpoint?

Other than my account manager and a project manager, I think there were maybe three or four more people involved that I saw come up with either server-related work, development work, or user experience work. I interacted with the other people as needed, but I had those two main points of contact.

We didn't always meet in person. My company has a remote worker, but also I think we ended up switching to a project manager who was in Chicago, so we used Basecamp and Google Drive—Google Sheets and Google Docs almost exclusively—in addition to phone calls. Everything was in writing and any phone call we had would be typed up immediately by the project manager into Google Sheets, and then I could approve it and pull that over into Basecamp, which was really helpful. I think they used some other tool that I didn't use for more of the technical stuff. All of the tools that they had us use were useful and enhanced the experience rather than annoy, take away, add extra tasks, etc.

What did you find most impressive about Dom & Tom?

We really like to work with organizations that live our values, and I think Dom & Tom do that. Normally you have developers chained to a desk working 24/7. They clearly don't do that. Their developers are quite happy, and they’re happy to talk to you about any questions you have and will dumb it down for you, because God bless them, I don't understand anything that they do. They valued the camaraderie and the community and what we value, which is taking a step back and renewing. For their founder's day, they closed their office, which we loved. We thought that was just amazing, which sounds ridiculous. “Oh, you want your vendor to close for the day?” They live the values that we hold dear, and that was very important. Every person from Dom & Tom has been lovely to work with, even the two gents that I spoke to maybe three times total. They’re all really good people, which is nice. You don't always get that.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with Dom & Tom?

I think if you have questions, ask them, and don't feel like it’s a silly question. No questions are silly. I think they are happy to answer questions you have and they will really try to help you understand their answers. Everyone’s probably worked with a vendor at some point and has felt that they’ve kind of made them feel crappy for not knowing everything, even though that’s why they hired them. Dom & Tom are experts in their space, and they let you kind of give them the reins so they can deal with everything.

I think there was room for improvement, but there weren’t any missed deadlines, and any delayed timelines were from our side. I think there is always room for improvement in terms of setting expectations with regard to scheduling.
    I'm giving them a 4 only because there were some things, like an issue with a tool, that they didn't catch. It seemed like they should have been on top of it, but they weren’t. The problem wasn’t huge, which is why I continued to work with them.
    On a few occasions, like at a conference, someone asked who did our website, and I did not give our original vendor the credit, I gave it to Dom and Tom. I have recommended them and I’ll continue to do so.

Flagship Product Enhancement for Marketing & Advertising Firm

"They understand my process and unique needs."

Oct. 2015 - Ongoing

Dom & Tom inherited and then redeveloped a flagship project management tool, which was detailed in the original review. The engagement now involves ongoing product enhancement and bug fixes.

Owner, Dynamic Resources, Inc.

The flagship product continues to scale and succeed thanks to Dom & Tom. Collaboration is seamless and the workflows consistent, but not necessarily transparent, which is the only area for possible improvement.

Please introduce your business and what you do there.

I'm the owner of a retail services company offering a variety of in-store marketing and advertising services for prestigious national brands

What business challenge were you trying to address with Dom & Tom?

We originally hired Dom & Tom to redevelop our flagship product, which is effectively a project management tool that supports site survey, installation, and maintenance of store fixtures, graphic elements, boutique vendor shops, and retail interiors. Once they delivered that, we kept working with them to add new features to the solution. A couple of core additions have been their main focus.

They have been in charge of 2 main development projects for me. One is the ongoing development of my main software program that runs my entire business called Project Manager. They had redeveloped that project from version 3.0 to 4.0. With the launch of 4.0, not only did we launch in the United States but also in Europe. The European program required up to a 40% redesign because of the nuances of the work, currencies, and the process being a little bit different from ours. They took our existing program and redeveloped it to meet the needs of my European office.

In addition to that, both the European and the United States have ongoing maintenance requests—incremental changes and adoptions to the program such as versions 4.01 and 4.02. Some of the changes are fairly significant in the business process and programming. The changes were all functional, but very little was done on the look and feel of the user interface of the program.

The second thing they did for me was redeveloping an extranet site that is client-facing and used to deliver project-specific information to my clients. We'd been using a program for 5 years, which was severely outdated. We retained Dom & Tom to redevelop it from scratch.

How much have you invested with Dom & Tom?

In the last year, it’s been $125,000.

What is the status of the engagement?

It is ongoing.

The relationship is good condition. They understand my process and unique needs. I feel like it’s sometimes based on their workflow, too. My needs are sometimes responded to within 24 hours, which is incredibly fast. Sometimes, it takes a little bit longer, but it varies on the workflow they have internally.

Some of my requests aren't predictable. I’ll try to collect noncritical maintenance patches over a couple of weeks and submit them all at once to them so that they’re not constantly working on it and are able to do it more systematically. However, if I send an email and say we are at a standstill and have a huge issue, they will jump on that right away. They are always able to deal with mission-critical issues that pop up. I've really appreciated that level of support.

How did Dom & Tom perform from a project management standpoint?

I had a project manager that I filtered my work through. Joe is also involved in everything that I do as my senior account manager. I was also able to interact with the development team, which was between 1 and 3 people, depending on the need and the timing of the program. In total, it was 3–5 people at any given time. I had worked with them all before from a year ago. We recently had a turnover with our account manager at Dom & Tom. We were working with someone named Chad for quite some time. He was unassigned, and someone named Anna was reassigned and deployed to my account to take over for what Chad had been doing. Another change that happened was that one of our programmers, Mauricio, left our project. Christian, who we had also been working with as a programmer, took over.

Are there any areas Dom & Tom could improve?

Programming is expensive, and there needs to exist an element of trust between the client and the developer. You get a bill for hours worked and a brief description of what they did, but you’re really not having clear visibility into the hours worked or the amount of effort it takes. It’s not that I don’t trust them, but it would be useful if there were some way to really track hours worked against cost received. They do submit a spreadsheet of the work that was done with the hours required, but I don’t have any way to vet that at all. I either trust it or I don’t. I just wonder if there is something we can do.

It is always important for the client to have a very good understanding of what they want and to have it outlined in as much detail as possible. Developers will develop what you tell them to develop, but they don’t really necessarily understand your business process. The clearer you can be about what you need and articulate those goals, the more effective Dom & Tom will be.

I haven’t worked with a lot of other agencies, so it’s hard to say about the cost.

Overflow Dev for Digital Agency

"[They] rescued us from a bad situation and helped us deliver a viable solution."

Oct. 2016 - Jan. 2017

Dom & Tom's engineers helped the internal dev team cope with project overflow, in this case supporting only the technical aspects of a website redesign.

Project Manager

The ability to step into an existing project environment and take immediate ownership separates Dom & Tom from others in the marketplace. They also work well under the pressure of aggressive/complex requirements.

I’m a project manager, and we are a small digital creative agency. We build websites, manage, and rebrand, for the most part, nonprofits and other organizations in need of either content strategy, marketing, or digital strategies. More often than not we get to work with an array other different clients to address any other digital needs that they have.

What challenge were you trying to address with Dom & Tom?

The original project was a website redesign for an insurance company. It started in September or October and it was a really big call for us. We were doing branding, marketing, and content strategy for them, as well as redesigning their website. The contract had an aggressive scope involving significant complexity. Because of this, we decided it would likely be best to subcontract the more technically demanding aspects of the work. That’s when we began hunting or a suitable, capable partner.

We had encountered an issue on our end in terms of development bandwidth. There was a time crunch and we had understaffed our development team. Dom & Tom didn’t have any involvement in the creative design; their developers coded, tested, and implemented requested features for us. We came to them with wireframes more or less. It was kind of late in the game, and they helped us get back on track with the backend.

I’m not entirely sure of how many developers they had on the project. I worked mostly with a couple of their coordinators and team leaders. All of the work was WordPress related since that’s what the end-customer had their site on.

How did you come to work with Dom & Tom?

A previous partner recommended them to us based on familiarity with their work. Dom & Tom was incredibly responsive and very warm toward us from the very beginning. We had a fairly tight budget, but they were able to accommodate us. They made it a pretty seamless transition back and forth for us. None of the other suppliers we contacted had the level of professionalism or competence demonstrated by Dom & Tom, so it was really a no-brainer to go with them.

How much have you invested with Dom & Tom?

We have spent between $10,000 and $15,000.

This is our first project with them, but we have some calls scheduled with them to discuss some future projects that we would like their assistance in. We hope this is a partnership that can continue because they’ve made it such a seamless experience for us.

Look at it this way: at the last minute, we looked at our internal resources, and we were in desperate need of backend support. We contacted them with minimal time and money, and yet they came in and finished the backend of the website for us in a remarkably short period. They have no history with us. They could have easily taken our project and dropped the ball, but instead, they made true on their word. The whole thing took less than a month. Our teams collaborated almost daily, coming up with development tasks, and finishing them in record time. Nothing was lost in translation, which was surprising given how late they jumped in the game. They have a very meticulous process and some driven people who take serious ownership over their work, and it definitely shows.

How did Dom & Tom perform from a project management standpoint?

Things were very fluid. They had a project management tool that they wanted to use at the beginning of the project, but we had already begun managing the project on our own tool. I recall asking them to work with our internal tracking, and they were incredibly willing to use our tool instead. We gave them a demo of our project management tool and they picked it up pretty quickly. This no doubt contributed to the success of the project.

What did you find most impressive about Dom & Tom?

Their staff was incredibly helpful. They follow up and they’re very attentive. They worked relentlessly to help us complete this project on time and within budget, which was phenomenal. A portion of the work overlapped with the holidays and yet they were able to muster a team of developers capable of putting together some features at the very last minute. Again, that wasn’t the kind of attention we were necessarily expecting from a new supplier.

Are there any areas Dom & Tom could improve?

Honestly, I can’t think of anything based on my own experience with them. There is absolutely nothing that they could’ve done better. We were in a tight spot with very few options. Our own credibility and reputation were essentially on the line with this end-customer. We bit off more than we could chew, which was our own fault. Dom & Tom rescued us from a bad situation and helped us deliver a viable solution.

They hit all the deadlines.

Business Conceptualization & Prototyping for Entrepreneur

"I appreciated [their] openness to trying different business concepts."

Jan. 2014 - May 2014

This brief engagement involved conceptual design and strategic advisory for an inexperienced entrepreneur launching a new business.

Independent Consultant

The business was launched favorably thanks to the strategic research supplied by Dom & Tom, and the hiring consultant made note of their exceptional ability to proactively brainstorm with companies of any kind.

I worked as an independent consultant helping a client build a custom platform similar to TaskRabbit. We wanted to create a better version of that platform, which had some bad reviews on the app store.

What challenge were you trying to address with Dom & Tom?

We needed to figure out what direction to take in terms of research and business concepts.

Dom & Tom consulted us on everything from creating a link canvas, to mockups and making designs. We created screens for every page of the website using their help but used a different developer for the coding.

Dom & Tom made a list of potential customers for the business, actually interviewing a number of people. They also brainstormed a number of business ideas for us, based on the TaskRabbit concept. We went through some different ideas with Dom & Tom, like TaskRabbit for dog walkers, and ultimately decided to have a version of the platform aimed at finding agencies. Our site would become a place where clients could match with the perfect provider.

Dom & Tom provided an account manager, a head designer, and a backend designer. Their principal acted as an advisor.

How did you come to work with Dom & Tom?

We went through an interview process, talking to a number of agencies, and eventually chose Dom & Tom.

How much have you invested with Dom & Tom?

The total cost of our project with Dom & Tom was $35,000.

The project took 3-4 months to complete.

Dom & Tom was engaged with us for the entire time. We came to them with one concept, and they told us flat-out that cloning another app was a bad idea. We went through a research process in coming up with a better approach. The client is still running a business, which would not exist without Dom & Tom.

How did Dom & Tom perform from a project management standpoint?

Dom & Tom always delivered on time, within budget, and with good quality. We worked through a fixed-price model and used Basecamp as a project tracker.

What did you find most impressive about Dom & Tom?

I appreciated Dom & Tom's openness to trying different business concepts and finding people for the research. When we decided upon the agency concept, we didn't have any connections in that world. Dom & Tom, being an agency themselves, linked us with at least 10 founders who provided research material. We would never have had this without Dom & Tom.

Are there any areas Dom & Tom could improve?

No. Dom & Tom was quite flexible and didn't push back on us very much towards the end when we were reaching the limit of the contract. We made a change order without having an increase in budget.

Redesigned Construction Management Solution for Trade Association

“[Dom & Tom] provide an excellent product and all the developers I've dealt with have been great.”

Dec. 2015 - Ongoing

Dom & Tom redesigned the client’s web-based application due to limited internal capabilities, and later created a mobile application.

Washington DC Metro Area
Director of Operations

The project is still in progress, but the client is already very happy with Dom & Tom’s project management, talent, and technical expertise. Work is consistently on time and within budget, and communication with the Dom & Tom team remains stellar.

We are a nonprofit trust fund for a labor union.

I am the director of operations.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Dom & Tom?

We are looking to redesign the web interface for our project-tracking program and create a mobile application for it.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

Dom & Tom worked on our web-based application. Eventually, we plan to use their services for designing our website as well.

We are working on a data feed that will be searchable based on different criteria. We will distribute our data into multiple user groups and export it into Excel or PDF formats, customizing it based on our locations. We have affiliates in both the United States and Canada and it's important to display data only relevant to their areas. We're also working on a news feature for the platform.

The application they're developing is going to run on iOS. We don't yet intend to build one for Android. Our intention was to follow the path of least resistance and come up with a viable product fast. Our employees are Apple-heavy in terms of cellphones and tablets, which gave us a good opportunity to stick our foot in the water before deciding to support other platforms.

We collaborated with every member in their team, from the UX [user experience] designer to the lead technical developer to the project manager and so on.

How did you come to work with Dom & Tom?

We'd had prior experience working with outsourced developers for web development, but I hadn't worked on a mobile app before. We did some research on companies that develop apps, both small, mid-sized and large and liked what we saw with Dom & Tom compared to two or three other companies. We focused on the apps that each company had developed, looking especially for intuitive and easy-to-use ones. We spoke with each company considered for the job and asked for proposals. We decided to work with Dom & Tom, although they weren't the cheapest solution. We liked their development style and communication. Their team was very easy to deal with, letting us know precisely what they could or couldn't do. My boss and I sat down face to face with them before signing on and went over our goals. We didn't want a small company that would not be able to handle a project the size of ours, but we also didn't want a huge, corporate structure where I would need to ask permission in order to make a call. Dom & Tom were within the sweet spot of being a decent company creating excellent products. Ultimately, the quality of their work was the deciding factor in our choice.

The total development cost was between $200,000 and $1 million.

We started working with them at the end of 2015. The platform is expected to launch at the end of June 2016.

It's a little early in our progress to have significant metrics for their work.

How did Dom & Tom perform from a project management standpoint?

We have great meetings with Dom & Tom in which they present wireframes to us and explain the functionality of our platform. We use Basecamp in our collaboration, which is a tool I'm very comfortable with. They're very good from a communication point of view. I never feel that we'll be steered down a path at the end of which we'll regret our decisions. If there is a possibility that Dom & Tom will not understand something, they will stop, drop, and roll, letting us know what they require from us.

They've been able to deliver their work consistently within time and budget. Of course, I have some experience with this type of work and, as such, have factored in a certain amount of leeway in our budget – which, of course, I don't let them know about. I don't want to reach the end of the project and find out that we could have had an additional feature or another had we only spent a little more. We're currently working on a fixed-price contract.

What distinguishes Dom & Tom from other providers?

We met Dom & Tom in person when we went to New York. They're great people – very easy to talk to and approachable. They provide an excellent product and all the developers I've dealt with have been great. We haven't launched the platform yet, so I may have a different view in July, but I doubt it.

Could you share any tips with future clients?

Anyone interested in a similar collaboration should focus in defining their project and know what they want. A contractor can't read minds, so they need to have a clear-cut idea of what an end-product will look like. It's OK to rely on the developers' creativity but, at the end of the day, the client must specify that they require it to do A, B, C, and D. We just went through a very painful features-matrix discussion with Dom & Tom. It gave me a headache, but I knew that it had to be done. We needed to quantify and prioritize each requirement in order for them to know what they needed to do.

Overall Score They've exceeded my expectations, and I can be very cranky.
    I already have.

iOS and Android Prototype Development for Consumer App Startup

"I've hired hundreds of vendors during my 30 years of activity, but Dom & Tom is the only one I trust so wholeheartedly."

Dom & Tom developed the client’s iOS and Android peer-to-peer messenger applications.

New York City Metro Area
Founder & CEO, Startup

The client is very happy with the final product, and extensive testing on the beta version produced good results. Dom & Tom demonstrated they were most concerned about building a high-quality product. The client was able to present a concept, and Dom & Tom helped narrow its focus to develop viable solutions.

We're building a mobile application that provides ephemeral messaging for both iOS and Android users.

I am the founder of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Dom & Tom?

We needed a development team for our idea. We didn't have the skills internally.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

Dom & Tom started out developing our iOS platform. They've expanded their involvement to our Android application as well.

We had a concept in place and came with a good idea, but they've definitely helped narrow down the focus and create what we consider to be a very good product. Dom & Tom were undoubtedly integral in helping us create the product.

The size of their team varied during the development process. At any given time, there were around four developers assigned to our project. The total team was typically comprised of around six people, including a project manager, user experience designer, and graphics artists. The founders were also involved in the process.

How did you come to work with Dom & Tom?

We had an extensive research process for a mobile application development company. We're based in New York City and wanted to work with a local company in order to have face-to-face meetings throughout the development process. Thankfully, there are a few good shops in our area to choose from. We had multiple interviews and narrowed down our choice, ultimately choosing Dom & Tom.

They had experience in handling the design of sleek and visionary applications. We looked at their body of work and felt confident that Dom & Tom would be a good addition to our team. There's also an intangible element that comes through when having a personal conversation with someone. They came out as warm and fuzzy, and we felt a good connection to their team. We also spoke to some of their past clients and heard good things.

The total development cost is approaching $1 million during our first year, for all of the products we've worked on.

Our work started in May 2015. The applications haven't been launched yet, but we're close to that moment. The iOS version is in beta, and will be made available within a few weeks.

I see us having a long-term collaboration with Dom & Tom. We've developed a relationship with both of their founders.

We've had some bumps along the road, which helped us expose their true capabilities. We found them to be quality people who wanted me to build an amazing product. They were concerned with the final outcome, not just with slapping code together. This came across not just through words, but also through actions.

The results so far have been excellent. I'm happy with the beta version we currently have. We've done extensive testing on it and gotten good results. Dom & Tom were in charge of quality assurance, and we hired another company for additional QA.

How did Dom & Tom perform from a project management standpoint?

There were certain hurdles, which we had to overcome in terms of budget constraints. We had to refine our vision and address costs, which we weren't expecting. This wasn't a Dom & Tom issue per se, but rather a concern for my team and me. We went slightly over budget, but not because of Dom & Tom's activities.

We use Basecamp for project tracking. It has been an effective tool. Most of our meetings were conducted face to face, which was an important requirement for me.

What distinguishes Dom & Tom from other providers?

I haven't come across many people whom I've trusted during my career. I've hired hundreds of vendors during my 30 years of activity, but Dom & Tom is the only one I trust so wholeheartedly. There have been very few instances of offering someone a budget and setting them off to do the work. I would entrust Dom & Tom to do this, which is the highest recommendation I can give.

Is there anything Dom & Tom could have improved or done differently?

We had a bump in the road that had to do with some unexpected turnover in their assigned team. This is a prevalent phenomenon in the industry right now. Headhunters are reaching out to their staff constantly and encouraging them to jump ship. I do wish that this had been handled a bit differently. However, as a person that has built multiple startups, I know that it's a part of business. This is the only minor thing that I have to mention about Dom & Tom: they should make their clients aware of any turnover and handle it as efficiently as possible.

I recommend their services constantly.

iOS & Android Development for Education Management Startup

“They have extensive resources, they’re very well organized...Dom & Tom is going to be one of the best choices you can make.”

Oct. 2014 - Ongoing

Dom & Tom developed a mobile fundraising solution for the client’s customer.

New York City Metro Area
Christina Balotescu
Founder & CEO, 360Alumni, Inc.

Dom & Tom completed the project 25% under budget and a week ahead of schedule. The client’s in-house developer thoroughly enjoyed working with the Dom & Tom team, whose guidance has led to a higher quality overall output for the client.

360Alumni provides engagement and fundraising platforms for higher education, nonprofits and many other types of organizations.

I am founder and chief executive officer [CEO] of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Dom & Tom?

We needed to create a mobile giving solution for a client who wanted to have dueling fundraising campaigns on the Jumbotron at their homecoming football game.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

Dom & Tom were involved in the entire frontend design and development. The application was built for iOS, Android, and web, and the work was done in parallel for everything. I think we had three developers on the project. The project was originally supposed to last only a month, and we used Asana and Google Sheets for project management.

How did you come to work with Dom & Tom?

They had done some work for Priceline, and an advisor to our company who had previously worked for Priceline referred us to Dom & Tom. I was very impressed by their website, their portfolio, and the fact that they’re an Inc. 500 Fastest Growing Company.

It was under $10,000.

The project was completed in November of 2014. We’re still working with them on general UX and design improvements to the platform. It’s not a clearly defined project with a start and end date; it’s on an as-needed basis.

Absolutely. They finished 25% under budget and a week ahead of schedule.

Our in-house developer loved working with them. They were a force multiplier for him, and Dom & Tom continues to be a force multiplier for us now. Even with our development team now, Dom & Tom’s guidance has led our overall output to be much higher in quality than it previously was. They’ve not only taught us, but the results have been much more user-friendly, and we’ve been able to get over some big design challenges and hurdles.

How did Dom & Tom perform from a project management standpoint?

The results were absolutely outstanding, and they were incredibly meticulous with their process. They always kept us informed of the burn of the funds, and their professionalism was unlike anything I had experienced before with a development team.

What distinguishes Dom & Tom from other providers?

They have extensive resources, they’re very well organized, and they are able to quickly deploy resources on new needs that come up. They’ve been very flexible with us. This is true at the highest level in terms of guidance on architecture and product strategy, directly from Dom himself, all the way down to the most minute design aspects from their junior designers.

They’re a full-service design and development team. If you’re fortunate enough to have the funds to be able to use them for a well-defined project, you’re guaranteed to have an outstanding product. I would also say that for a non-technical client, Dom & Tom make it very easy. They have people who speak both languages, and they’re ready to serve their clients.

They’re not cheap, but they’re worth every penny. If you want quality design and user experience, you can’t get it through off-shoring. Dom & Tom is going to be one of the best choices you can make.

Is there anything Dom & Tom could have improved or done differently?

Because they are very process oriented, they are going to work best with teams that have the resources to be able to work well with a project lead, who serves as the core point person, and then communicates everything out. People who are considering a project with Dom & Tom probably shouldn’t expect to have real-time instant communication directly with their developer, but the quality of service that they get from their project manager is top of the line. They follow up on everything, and they’re extremely professional. If you’re a lone founder who is used to working directly with the developer himself, that may not be the model that Dom & Tom provides.

Multiple Mobile App Developments for Consumer Products Firm

"The biggest thing is that they’re very passionate about making sure that I’m not the only one satisfied, but that our own end customers are pleased, too."

Dom & Tom developed several web and mobile gaming applications to increase the client’s brand presence and user engagement.

Fayetteville, Arkansas Area
Senior Marketing Manager, Consumer Products Firm

The client consistently achieves metric goals with little to no bug issues and is extremely satisfied with the working relationship. One off-season game Dom & Tom created garnered an impressive 25,000 participants and another campaign brought 20,000 users online in a single hour.

I work for a consumer products manufacturer. We produce a wide variety of packaged foods for consumers. A large majority of it is protein-based, basically chicken, pork and beef.

I’m the senior marketing manager within the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Dom & Tom?

To begin with, I did not want to use an ad agency. The majority of the time, when you’re in shopper marketing, you hire an ad agency to do your Facebook posts, etc. Honestly, I didn’t want that, I wanted to have a developer because I felt that we needed to own the equipment. If I were going to create games, surveys, and other fun things, I could drive that myself but I would need the basis built. If I had given that task to an agency, they would just farm it all out, and I wanted to own it. The challenge, then, was getting the foundation built so we could do all of the things we wanted to do in the future.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

The original application they built was a chicken wing game. Our second app was Octoberfest, in which we had customers come on our Facebook page and upload their video of them yodeling. We had a contest, a voting component, awards, etc. It was engaging and fun, everyone thought it was fantastic.

I own a couple other games that we have, and we pull them out every year and update them a little. What I love is that I’m not paying every year for the same thing. They work with us on our budget, which is very important to us. I will tell them what our budget is, and they will say whether they can do it or not, or make another recommendation. I’m not an IT person, so there’s always a concern about whether we speak the same language – and we do.

We don’t have to worry about the program malfunctioning. The applications are available through web browsers, Android, iOS, and Microsoft devices. We built each application out one at a time. I couldn’t do it any other way, just from an internal point of view.

The most complex application is our scavenger hunt that we do on an annual basis. In the scavenger hunt, we keep a dashboard so that everyone can see how they’re doing against different people. You’re submitting photographs, videos, and different things; so it takes interpretation, and keeping that updated day to day, and then making sure that the results are posted, so it’s fairly complex.

I have my interns try to break the games after I get them, as part of my quality assurance [QA] testing process. We’ve had a couple of things that they found and they’ve worked on together with Dom & Tom. It gives my team a great way to interact and try new products.

How did you come to work with Dom & Tom?

They were just starting out, and a mutual friend recommended Dom & Tom. He said they were two guys starting out this new little company and that they were pretty smart, and suggested that we should try them. Since we were new at apps, we figured we would try them and it’s worked out great.

It’s about $400,000 annually on average, but it does fluctuate.

I’ve been working with them for nearly four years, and the relationship is ongoing.

Normally, it’s tied to other things. This is part of an overlay; it’s not just one component. We don’t just run a print ad; we will do everything in conjunction. You have digital, you have mobile, you’ve got print, you’ve got demos, etc. We do believe in omni-channel and 360. Let’s just put it this way - we always make our numbers.

We haven’t had an issue with users finding bugs. Two years ago, we ran a campaign where we had 20,000 people online at one time, in one hour, which is pretty amazing. We also did another program which was decorating nuggets during an off-season time for us. We got a huge response, having over 25,000 people participate, which is pretty incredible, but it’s fun and organic.

How did Dom & Tom perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re probably the only vendor that has constantly delivered on time and within budget. We’ve had times where we’ve had products discontinued. We had to put projects on the sideline, and tell them we are unable to start the project. They’re like, ‘Okay, what’s next?’ I’ve worked with other developers, and I feel comfortable in saying that they are the best of the best.

What distinguishes Dom & Tom from other providers?

I think the biggest thing is that they’re very passionate about making sure that I’m not the only one satisfied, but that our own end customers are pleased, too. I think that’s a huge benefit. If they find that there is an issue, or they think that they see something, they point it out and give us recommendations. They don’t just say, ‘Here’s a problem, you figure it out.’ They will recommend solutions to us. Which is a really great thing because they’re keeping their eye on everything; they’re very proactive.

We have always given them information about areas of concern, and what our expectations are. Often, when talking with IT people, they don’t always understand that there is a voice and a personality. You have to be able to describe that, and make sure that they understand that. We have weekly meetings and kick off meetings with them on a regular basis.

Is there anything Dom & Tom could have improved or done differently?

No, I’m very happy. I love them.

I have recommended them in the past.

Custom Enterprise App Redevelopment for Marketing and Advertising Firm

“Dom & Tom is very knowledgeable in their industry. They seem to be on the forefront of whatever technology is out there and popular.”

Mar. 2014 - Oct. 2015

Dom & Tom was initially brought on to take over support and maintenance of the client’s project management tool. They later developed an entirely new tool to be scalable for future growth.

Owner, Dynamic Resources, Inc.

The new tool is used by the internal team on a daily basis, and they’re very happy with the improved functionality, intuitive usability, and performance speeds. The client cites Dom & Tom’s array of resources and responsiveness as some of its star qualities.

We are a retail services company that provides in-store marketing and advertising services for brands around the country.

I am the owner of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Dom & Tom?

We have a proprietary project management tool that effectively runs our business, and we needed somebody to take over the maintenance and support of that tool. The developer we had working on it was not able to do that anymore, so we needed to replace them with someone else equally as skilled.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

It went from the support of an existing tool, and then became the redevelopment of the tool from scratch, with completely new source code. Initially, they just managed someone else's work and kept it up and running, and then they developed their own and rebuilt the whole tool. We wanted some new, streamlined, and scalable for future growth.

We decided to revamp the tool because technology had advanced to the point where the code was no longer relevant and modern, and we knew we couldn't grow with an obsolete tool. We needed it to be mobile-friendly, and the old code just wasn't. They did a comprehensive study, where we came up with a set of criteria that we wanted to have incorporated into the tool that we didn't currently have. There was a whole new and different process behind that. They were the technical leads on the project, and we gave them strategic guidance and feedback.

How did you come to work with Dom & Tom?

They were recommended to me by the developer who was not able to help me anymore.

It was more than $100,000.

The tool was launched in March of this past year [2014].

We don't have anything formal in place to monitor the success of the engagement, but it's the tool that all of our employees use on a daily basis, and every minute of every day – so it works, and it works well. We have the same functionality, but far better usability and performance speeds. Administratively, the new tool is also a lot easier to use. It's just more intuitive from a user standpoint. We'll be adding new features in the future and we expect Dom & Tom to help us with that, most likely.

How did Dom & Tom perform from a project management standpoint?

We had no issues with them from a project management standpoint. We found them very capable, very responsive, and very intelligent. They came to the table with a great approach and a refined development process. They asked the right questions and helped us determine what the key features and processes were that they had to replicate with our new tool. They helped us articulate exactly what it was that we needed. We were all very impressed by them.

What distinguishes Dom & Tom from other providers?

I don't have that much experience with many technology providers, to be honest. Dom & Tom is very knowledgeable in their industry. They seem to be on the forefront of whatever technology is out there and popular. They seem very knowledgeable about the latest technology. They have a deep bench of resources available to them, whether in-house or freelance, and they seem to know the right people to pull in for different things.

Is there anything Dom & Tom could have improved or done differently?

I've been working with them for a long time, and I don't think there's anything specific I would recommend. There are moments where I want things to happen faster than they do happen but, also quite often, it might be something where they need me to speed up on work that I'm doing. Like I said, because they rely on our guidance and feedback, sometimes we're the ones that slow the process down.

I've recommended them several times.

Web Development for Entertainment Management Company

"Dom & Tom has been one of the most reliable, accessible and responsive providers we've ever had the chance to work with."

Dom & Tom helped standardize the client’s website platforms and developed a full-brand experience across several disparate brands.

Los Angeles Metro Area
Director, IT Relationship Management

While no metrics are available, the client is highly impressed with Dom & Tom’s ability to meet timelines and milestones across over a dozen projects. The internal team is also very satisfied with Dom & Tom’s creative insight, project execution, and the quality of deliverables.

We are an IT [information technology] management company. We license our properties for consumer products in media distribution. We license anything from entertainment properties to lifestyle and fashion properties.

I am a director in the IT department.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Dom & Tom?

At the time that we engaged Dom & Tom for their services, we were trying to standardize our website platforms in order to provide scalable solutions across a different range of properties. At the time, we had several properties that had been developed in isolation from each other, so they weren't on a standardized platform. Dom & Tom helped us develop a full-brand experience across several disparate brands. While there was some content already there, they relaunched and consolidated the content into a new platform that was much easier to manage and maintain.

Part of the engagement involved standardizing the back-end system. We migrated all of our different micro-sites to a WordPress platform so that we could have a content management model as well as a development model for when we engage third parties for the creative process.

We decided on WordPress because it is easy for third parties to be versed in the platform. At the time, we didn't want to go with HTML5 because not enough creative agencies were versed in the new platform. WordPress had been established, proven to be scalable, and proved to provide content management capabilities that were aligned with our needs. At that time, it was more important to leverage the relative experience of our clients against the platform performance.

How did you come to work with Dom & Tom?

We envisioned that we would separate creative from technical services, so when we put the RFP [request for proposal] together, we looked at agencies that were in the business of delivering technical solutions as opposed to creative solutions.

It's in the six-figure range. I don't have a close view of the day-to-day costs, but I would say it's probably a healthy six figures.

They just finished doing a content update and upgrade to one of our power ranger sites, probably within the last 30 to 60 days [summer 2015].

Could you share any statistics, metrics or user feedback from this engagement?

I don't have any metrics off the top of my head, but every engagement and every project that we engaged has a defined timeline and milestones. In more than a dozen projects that we've engaged them with so far, not once have they missed any of those timelines or milestones. It's been fantastic. They're just extremely reliable when it comes to project delivery.

Anecdotally, everybody is satisfied with the project execution and the quality of their deliverables, and we have very few support issues, which is a great thing. Things run, so most of the engagement with Dom & Tom stems from strategic changes or content changes that we're executing, and everybody seems to be happy to continue to use them for those types of projects.

How did Dom & Tom perform from a project management standpoint?

Dom & Tom has been one of the most reliable, accessible and responsive providers we've ever had the chance to work with. We've been very impressed with how they approach their client relationships.

What distinguishes Dom & Tom from other providers?

I think one of the things that they're really good at is they perform well in high-touch, high-cadence environments. Our clients here, who interact with them directly, are active, and they require a lot of attention. Dom & Tom reacts to them quite well and gives them the level of responsiveness that's aligned with their needs.

Is there anything Dom & Tom could have improved or done differently?

It's important to have a clear vision of what you need from them to be as successful as you need them to be. That being said, it's only a vision that is needed. If you need to work out details, they're actually quite adept at cooperating with you and helping you problem solve. Once we got our vision worked out, our engagement with Dom & Tom was more efficient simply because they understood what the strategy looked like.

Very likely.