User experience and development for iOS & Android

Dom & Tom is an end-to-end digital product development agency focused on emerging technologies for web and mobile.

From startups to enterprise solutions the apps we produce for our clients support their strategic initiatives first and foremost through open collaboration, forward-thinking user experience, engaging design, & cross-platform development for both web and mobile.

$25,000

(773) 377-5585
    811 W. 7th St., 12th Floor
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (323) 510-2696

Priceline ○ General Electric ○ Hearst (Seventeen Magazine, Popular Mechanics) ○ Tyson Foods ○ University of Oklahoma ○ Ashoka ○ Fitch Ratings ○ Bonobos ○ Citibank ○ AIG ○ The Emmys ○ Turner ○ Bloomberg

AIG - Travel Claim Prototype

Dom & Tom designed and developed a protoype for AIG. This project was run using an agile methodology with a dedicated team.

Paul Frank - Responsive Web

Dom & Tom redesigned and developed the beautiful and iconic PaulFrank.com for the responsive web. This project took place at a lightning fast pace in order to launch in time for the 2014 holiday season.

Seventeen Magazine Official iOS App - Hearst Publications

Dom & Tom worked with Seventeen to develop their official application. Currently this app has 4+ stars in the iOS App Store.

University of Oklahoma - OU Bound iOS, Android & Web Application

Dom & Tom designed a PhoneGap application to help onboard new students at the University of Oklahoma. The app acheived almost 100% new user adoption with incoming Freshmen and D&T was brought on to develop a sister application shortly after launch.

CliffsNotes Official Website - Design & Development

Dom & Tom designed and developed CliffsNotes.com with the team at Houghton-Mifflin.

Saban's Power Rangers - Website Redesign

Dom & Tom redesigned the official Power Rangers website to be more kid-friendly.

General Electric - Intelligent Platforms

General Electric needed an eloquent way to display their predicative analytics software and real-time data to help their sales team speak about their services in a manner the consumer could understand. The GE team approached Dom & Tom with the opportunity to develop a web application which would make possible the aggregation and consumption of data relating to GE's industrial equipment around the globe. Dom & Tom delivered.

Priceline - Flight Finder Application

We built backend integrations and provided UX consultation for the Priceline application (that's probably installed on your phone). Many of our architecture decisions are still in place today.

Flagship Product Enhancement for Marketing & Advertising Firm

"They understand my process and unique needs."

Oct. 2015 - Ongoing

Dom & Tom inherited and then redeveloped a flagship project management tool, which was detailed in the original review. The engagement now involves ongoing product enhancement and bug fixes.

Owner, Dynamic Resources, Inc.

The flagship product continues to scale and succeed thanks to Dom & Tom. Collaboration is seamless and the workflows consistent, but not necessarily transparent, which is the only area for possible improvement.

Please introduce your business and what you do there.

I'm the owner of a retail services company offering a variety of in-store marketing and advertising services for prestigious national brands

What business challenge were you trying to address with Dom & Tom?

We originally hired Dom & Tom to redevelop our flagship product, which is effectively a project management tool that supports site survey, installation, and maintenance of store fixtures, graphic elements, boutique vendor shops, and retail interiors. Once they delivered that, we kept working with them to add new features to the solution. A couple of core additions have been their main focus.

They have been in charge of 2 main development projects for me. One is the ongoing development of my main software program that runs my entire business called Project Manager. They had redeveloped that project from version 3.0 to 4.0. With the launch of 4.0, not only did we launch in the United States but also in Europe. The European program required up to a 40% redesign because of the nuances of the work, currencies, and the process being a little bit different from ours. They took our existing program and redeveloped it to meet the needs of my European office.

In addition to that, both the European and the United States have ongoing maintenance requests—incremental changes and adoptions to the program such as versions 4.01 and 4.02. Some of the changes are fairly significant in the business process and programming. The changes were all functional, but very little was done on the look and feel of the user interface of the program.

The second thing they did for me was redeveloping an extranet site that is client-facing and used to deliver project-specific information to my clients. We'd been using a program for 5 years, which was severely outdated. We retained Dom & Tom to redevelop it from scratch.

How much have you invested with Dom & Tom?

In the last year, it’s been $125,000.

What is the status of the engagement?

It is ongoing.

The relationship is good condition. They understand my process and unique needs. I feel like it’s sometimes based on their workflow, too. My needs are sometimes responded to within 24 hours, which is incredibly fast. Sometimes, it takes a little bit longer, but it varies on the workflow they have internally.

Some of my requests aren't predictable. I’ll try to collect noncritical maintenance patches over a couple of weeks and submit them all at once to them so that they’re not constantly working on it and are able to do it more systematically. However, if I send an email and say we are at a standstill and have a huge issue, they will jump on that right away. They are always able to deal with mission-critical issues that pop up. I've really appreciated that level of support.

How did Dom & Tom perform from a project management standpoint?

I had a project manager that I filtered my work through. Joe is also involved in everything that I do as my senior account manager. I was also able to interact with the development team, which was between 1 and 3 people, depending on the need and the timing of the program. In total, it was 3–5 people at any given time. I had worked with them all before from a year ago. We recently had a turnover with our account manager at Dom & Tom. We were working with someone named Chad for quite some time. He was unassigned, and someone named Anna was reassigned and deployed to my account to take over for what Chad had been doing. Another change that happened was that one of our programmers, Mauricio, left our project. Christian, who we had also been working with as a programmer, took over.

Are there any areas Dom & Tom could improve?

Programming is expensive, and there needs to exist an element of trust between the client and the developer. You get a bill for hours worked and a brief description of what they did, but you’re really not having clear visibility into the hours worked or the amount of effort it takes. It’s not that I don’t trust them, but it would be useful if there were some way to really track hours worked against cost received. They do submit a spreadsheet of the work that was done with the hours required, but I don’t have any way to vet that at all. I either trust it or I don’t. I just wonder if there is something we can do.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with Dom & Tom?

It is always important for the client to have a very good understanding of what they want and to have it outlined in as much detail as possible. Developers will develop what you tell them to develop, but they don’t really necessarily understand your business process. The clearer you can be about what you need and articulate those goals, the more effective Dom & Tom will be.

I haven’t worked with a lot of other agencies, so it’s hard to say about the cost.

Overflow Dev for Digital Agency

"[They] rescued us from a bad situation and helped us deliver a viable solution."

Oct. 2016 - Jan. 2017

Dom & Tom's engineers helped the internal dev team cope with project overflow, in this case supporting only the technical aspects of a website redesign.

Project Manager

The ability to step into an existing project environment and take immediate ownership separates Dom & Tom from others in the marketplace. They also work well under the pressure of aggressive/complex requirements.

I’m a project manager, and we are a small digital creative agency. We build websites, manage, and rebrand, for the most part, nonprofits and other organizations in need of either content strategy, marketing, or digital strategies. More often than not we get to work with an array other different clients to address any other digital needs that they have.

What challenge were you trying to address with Dom & Tom?

The original project was a website redesign for an insurance company. It started in September or October and it was a really big call for us. We were doing branding, marketing, and content strategy for them, as well as redesigning their website. The contract had an aggressive scope involving significant complexity. Because of this, we decided it would likely be best to subcontract the more technically demanding aspects of the work. That’s when we began hunting or a suitable, capable partner.

We had encountered an issue on our end in terms of development bandwidth. There was a time crunch and we had understaffed our development team. Dom & Tom didn’t have any involvement in the creative design; their developers coded, tested, and implemented requested features for us. We came to them with wireframes more or less. It was kind of late in the game, and they helped us get back on track with the backend.

I’m not entirely sure of how many developers they had on the project. I worked mostly with a couple of their coordinators and team leaders. All of the work was WordPress related since that’s what the end-customer had their site on.

How did you come to work with Dom & Tom?

A previous partner recommended them to us based on familiarity with their work. Dom & Tom was incredibly responsive and very warm toward us from the very beginning. We had a fairly tight budget, but they were able to accommodate us. They made it a pretty seamless transition back and forth for us. None of the other suppliers we contacted had the level of professionalism or competence demonstrated by Dom & Tom, so it was really a no-brainer to go with them.

How much have you invested with Dom & Tom?

We have spent between $10,000 and $15,000.

This is our first project with them, but we have some calls scheduled with them to discuss some future projects that we would like their assistance in. We hope this is a partnership that can continue because they’ve made it such a seamless experience for us.

Look at it this way: at the last minute, we looked at our internal resources, and we were in desperate need of backend support. We contacted them with minimal time and money, and yet they came in and finished the backend of the website for us in a remarkably short period. They have no history with us. They could have easily taken our project and dropped the ball, but instead, they made true on their word. The whole thing took less than a month. Our teams collaborated almost daily, coming up with development tasks, and finishing them in record time. Nothing was lost in translation, which was surprising given how late they jumped in the game. They have a very meticulous process and some driven people who take serious ownership over their work, and it definitely shows.

How did Dom & Tom perform from a project management standpoint?

Things were very fluid. They had a project management tool that they wanted to use at the beginning of the project, but we had already begun managing the project on our own tool. I recall asking them to work with our internal tracking, and they were incredibly willing to use our tool instead. We gave them a demo of our project management tool and they picked it up pretty quickly. This no doubt contributed to the success of the project.

What did you find most impressive about Dom & Tom?

Their staff was incredibly helpful. They follow up and they’re very attentive. They worked relentlessly to help us complete this project on time and within budget, which was phenomenal. A portion of the work overlapped with the holidays and yet they were able to muster a team of developers capable of putting together some features at the very last minute. Again, that wasn’t the kind of attention we were necessarily expecting from a new supplier.

Are there any areas Dom & Tom could improve?

Honestly, I can’t think of anything based on my own experience with them. There is absolutely nothing that they could’ve done better. We were in a tight spot with very few options. Our own credibility and reputation were essentially on the line with this end-customer. We bit off more than we could chew, which was our own fault. Dom & Tom rescued us from a bad situation and helped us deliver a viable solution.

They hit all the deadlines.

Business Conceptualization & Prototyping for Entrepreneur

"I appreciated [their] openness to trying different business concepts."

Jan. 2014 - May 2014

This brief engagement involved conceptual design and strategic advisory for an inexperienced entrepreneur launching a new business.

Independent Consultant

The business was launched favorably thanks to the strategic research supplied by Dom & Tom, and the hiring consultant made note of their exceptional ability to proactively brainstorm with companies of any kind.

I worked as an independent consultant helping a client build a custom platform similar to TaskRabbit. We wanted to create a better version of that platform, which had some bad reviews on the app store.

What challenge were you trying to address with Dom & Tom?

We needed to figure out what direction to take in terms of research and business concepts.

Dom & Tom consulted us on everything from creating a link canvas, to mockups and making designs. We created screens for every page of the website using their help but used a different developer for the coding.

Dom & Tom made a list of potential customers for the business, actually interviewing a number of people. They also brainstormed a number of business ideas for us, based on the TaskRabbit concept. We went through some different ideas with Dom & Tom, like TaskRabbit for dog walkers, and ultimately decided to have a version of the platform aimed at finding agencies. Our site would become a place where clients could match with the perfect provider.

Dom & Tom provided an account manager, a head designer, and a backend designer. Their principal acted as an advisor.

How did you come to work with Dom & Tom?

We went through an interview process, talking to a number of agencies, and eventually chose Dom & Tom.

How much have you invested with Dom & Tom?

The total cost of our project with Dom & Tom was $35,000.

The project took 3-4 months to complete.

Dom & Tom was engaged with us for the entire time. We came to them with one concept, and they told us flat-out that cloning another app was a bad idea. We went through a research process in coming up with a better approach. The client is still running a business, which would not exist without Dom & Tom.

How did Dom & Tom perform from a project management standpoint?

Dom & Tom always delivered on time, within budget, and with good quality. We worked through a fixed-price model and used Basecamp as a project tracker.

What did you find most impressive about Dom & Tom?

I appreciated Dom & Tom's openness to trying different business concepts and finding people for the research. When we decided upon the agency concept, we didn't have any connections in that world. Dom & Tom, being an agency themselves, linked us with at least 10 founders who provided research material. We would never have had this without Dom & Tom.

Are there any areas Dom & Tom could improve?

No. Dom & Tom was quite flexible and didn't push back on us very much towards the end when we were reaching the limit of the contract. We made a change order without having an increase in budget.

Redesigned Construction Management Solution for Trade Association

“[Dom & Tom] provide an excellent product and all the developers I've dealt with have been great.”

Dec. 2015 - Ongoing

Dom & Tom redesigned the client’s web-based application due to limited internal capabilities, and later created a mobile application.

Washington DC Metro Area
Director of Operations

The project is still in progress, but the client is already very happy with Dom & Tom’s project management, talent, and technical expertise. Work is consistently on time and within budget, and communication with the Dom & Tom team remains stellar.

We are a nonprofit trust fund for a labor union.

I am the director of operations.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Dom & Tom?

We are looking to redesign the web interface for our project-tracking program and create a mobile application for it.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

Dom & Tom worked on our web-based application. Eventually, we plan to use their services for designing our website as well.

We are working on a data feed that will be searchable based on different criteria. We will distribute our data into multiple user groups and export it into Excel or PDF formats, customizing it based on our locations. We have affiliates in both the United States and Canada and it's important to display data only relevant to their areas. We're also working on a news feature for the platform.

The application they're developing is going to run on iOS. We don't yet intend to build one for Android. Our intention was to follow the path of least resistance and come up with a viable product fast. Our employees are Apple-heavy in terms of cellphones and tablets, which gave us a good opportunity to stick our foot in the water before deciding to support other platforms.

We collaborated with every member in their team, from the UX [user experience] designer to the lead technical developer to the project manager and so on.

How did you come to work with Dom & Tom?

We'd had prior experience working with outsourced developers for web development, but I hadn't worked on a mobile app before. We did some research on companies that develop apps, both small, mid-sized and large and liked what we saw with Dom & Tom compared to two or three other companies. We focused on the apps that each company had developed, looking especially for intuitive and easy-to-use ones. We spoke with each company considered for the job and asked for proposals. We decided to work with Dom & Tom, although they weren't the cheapest solution. We liked their development style and communication. Their team was very easy to deal with, letting us know precisely what they could or couldn't do. My boss and I sat down face to face with them before signing on and went over our goals. We didn't want a small company that would not be able to handle a project the size of ours, but we also didn't want a huge, corporate structure where I would need to ask permission in order to make a call. Dom & Tom were within the sweet spot of being a decent company creating excellent products. Ultimately, the quality of their work was the deciding factor in our choice.

The total development cost was between $200,000 and $1 million.

We started working with them at the end of 2015. The platform is expected to launch at the end of June 2016.

It's a little early in our progress to have significant metrics for their work.

How did Dom & Tom perform from a project management standpoint?

We have great meetings with Dom & Tom in which they present wireframes to us and explain the functionality of our platform. We use Basecamp in our collaboration, which is a tool I'm very comfortable with. They're very good from a communication point of view. I never feel that we'll be steered down a path at the end of which we'll regret our decisions. If there is a possibility that Dom & Tom will not understand something, they will stop, drop, and roll, letting us know what they require from us.

They've been able to deliver their work consistently within time and budget. Of course, I have some experience with this type of work and, as such, have factored in a certain amount of leeway in our budget – which, of course, I don't let them know about. I don't want to reach the end of the project and find out that we could have had an additional feature or another had we only spent a little more. We're currently working on a fixed-price contract.

What distinguishes Dom & Tom from other providers?

We met Dom & Tom in person when we went to New York. They're great people – very easy to talk to and approachable. They provide an excellent product and all the developers I've dealt with have been great. We haven't launched the platform yet, so I may have a different view in July, but I doubt it.

Could you share any tips with future clients?

Anyone interested in a similar collaboration should focus in defining their project and know what they want. A contractor can't read minds, so they need to have a clear-cut idea of what an end-product will look like. It's OK to rely on the developers' creativity but, at the end of the day, the client must specify that they require it to do A, B, C, and D. We just went through a very painful features-matrix discussion with Dom & Tom. It gave me a headache, but I knew that it had to be done. We needed to quantify and prioritize each requirement in order for them to know what they needed to do.

Overall Score They've exceeded my expectations, and I can be very cranky.
    I already have.

iOS and Android Prototype Development for Consumer App Startup

"I've hired hundreds of vendors during my 30 years of activity, but Dom & Tom is the only one I trust so wholeheartedly."

Dom & Tom developed the client’s iOS and Android peer-to-peer messenger applications.

New York City Metro Area
Founder & CEO, Startup

The client is very happy with the final product, and extensive testing on the beta version produced good results. Dom & Tom demonstrated they were most concerned about building a high-quality product. The client was able to present a concept, and Dom & Tom helped narrow its focus to develop viable solutions.

We're building a mobile application that provides ephemeral messaging for both iOS and Android users.

I am the founder of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Dom & Tom?

We needed a development team for our idea. We didn't have the skills internally.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

Dom & Tom started out developing our iOS platform. They've expanded their involvement to our Android application as well.

We had a concept in place and came with a good idea, but they've definitely helped narrow down the focus and create what we consider to be a very good product. Dom & Tom were undoubtedly integral in helping us create the product.

The size of their team varied during the development process. At any given time, there were around four developers assigned to our project. The total team was typically comprised of around six people, including a project manager, user experience designer, and graphics artists. The founders were also involved in the process.

How did you come to work with Dom & Tom?

We had an extensive research process for a mobile application development company. We're based in New York City and wanted to work with a local company in order to have face-to-face meetings throughout the development process. Thankfully, there are a few good shops in our area to choose from. We had multiple interviews and narrowed down our choice, ultimately choosing Dom & Tom.

They had experience in handling the design of sleek and visionary applications. We looked at their body of work and felt confident that Dom & Tom would be a good addition to our team. There's also an intangible element that comes through when having a personal conversation with someone. They came out as warm and fuzzy, and we felt a good connection to their team. We also spoke to some of their past clients and heard good things.

The total development cost is approaching $1 million during our first year, for all of the products we've worked on.

Our work started in May 2015. The applications haven't been launched yet, but we're close to that moment. The iOS version is in beta, and will be made available within a few weeks.

I see us having a long-term collaboration with Dom & Tom. We've developed a relationship with both of their founders.

We've had some bumps along the road, which helped us expose their true capabilities. We found them to be quality people who wanted me to build an amazing product. They were concerned with the final outcome, not just with slapping code together. This came across not just through words, but also through actions.

The results so far have been excellent. I'm happy with the beta version we currently have. We've done extensive testing on it and gotten good results. Dom & Tom were in charge of quality assurance, and we hired another company for additional QA.

How did Dom & Tom perform from a project management standpoint?

There were certain hurdles, which we had to overcome in terms of budget constraints. We had to refine our vision and address costs, which we weren't expecting. This wasn't a Dom & Tom issue per se, but rather a concern for my team and me. We went slightly over budget, but not because of Dom & Tom's activities.

We use Basecamp for project tracking. It has been an effective tool. Most of our meetings were conducted face to face, which was an important requirement for me.

What distinguishes Dom & Tom from other providers?

I haven't come across many people whom I've trusted during my career. I've hired hundreds of vendors during my 30 years of activity, but Dom & Tom is the only one I trust so wholeheartedly. There have been very few instances of offering someone a budget and setting them off to do the work. I would entrust Dom & Tom to do this, which is the highest recommendation I can give.

Is there anything Dom & Tom could have improved or done differently?

We had a bump in the road that had to do with some unexpected turnover in their assigned team. This is a prevalent phenomenon in the industry right now. Headhunters are reaching out to their staff constantly and encouraging them to jump ship. I do wish that this had been handled a bit differently. However, as a person that has built multiple startups, I know that it's a part of business. This is the only minor thing that I have to mention about Dom & Tom: they should make their clients aware of any turnover and handle it as efficiently as possible.

I recommend their services constantly.

iOS & Android Development for Education Management Startup

“They have extensive resources, they’re very well organized...Dom & Tom is going to be one of the best choices you can make.”

Oct. 2014 - Ongoing

Dom & Tom developed a mobile fundraising solution for the client’s customer.

New York City Metro Area
Founder & CEO, 360Alumni, Inc.

Dom & Tom completed the project 25% under budget and a week ahead of schedule. The client’s in-house developer thoroughly enjoyed working with the Dom & Tom team, whose guidance has led to a higher quality overall output for the client.

360Alumni provides engagement and fundraising platforms for higher education, nonprofits and many other types of organizations.

I am founder and chief executive officer [CEO] of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Dom & Tom?

We needed to create a mobile giving solution for a client who wanted to have dueling fundraising campaigns on the Jumbotron at their homecoming football game.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

Dom & Tom were involved in the entire frontend design and development. The application was built for iOS, Android, and web, and the work was done in parallel for everything. I think we had three developers on the project. The project was originally supposed to last only a month, and we used Asana and Google Sheets for project management.

How did you come to work with Dom & Tom?

They had done some work for Priceline, and an advisor to our company who had previously worked for Priceline referred us to Dom & Tom. I was very impressed by their website, their portfolio, and the fact that they’re an Inc. 500 Fastest Growing Company.

It was under $10,000.

The project was completed in November of 2014. We’re still working with them on general UX and design improvements to the platform. It’s not a clearly defined project with a start and end date; it’s on an as-needed basis.

Absolutely. They finished 25% under budget and a week ahead of schedule.

Our in-house developer loved working with them. They were a force multiplier for him, and Dom & Tom continues to be a force multiplier for us now. Even with our development team now, Dom & Tom’s guidance has led our overall output to be much higher in quality than it previously was. They’ve not only taught us, but the results have been much more user-friendly, and we’ve been able to get over some big design challenges and hurdles.

How did Dom & Tom perform from a project management standpoint?

The results were absolutely outstanding, and they were incredibly meticulous with their process. They always kept us informed of the burn of the funds, and their professionalism was unlike anything I had experienced before with a development team.

What distinguishes Dom & Tom from other providers?

They have extensive resources, they’re very well organized, and they are able to quickly deploy resources on new needs that come up. They’ve been very flexible with us. This is true at the highest level in terms of guidance on architecture and product strategy, directly from Dom himself, all the way down to the most minute design aspects from their junior designers.

They’re a full-service design and development team. If you’re fortunate enough to have the funds to be able to use them for a well-defined project, you’re guaranteed to have an outstanding product. I would also say that for a non-technical client, Dom & Tom make it very easy. They have people who speak both languages, and they’re ready to serve their clients.

They’re not cheap, but they’re worth every penny. If you want quality design and user experience, you can’t get it through off-shoring. Dom & Tom is going to be one of the best choices you can make.

Is there anything Dom & Tom could have improved or done differently?

Because they are very process oriented, they are going to work best with teams that have the resources to be able to work well with a project lead, who serves as the core point person, and then communicates everything out. People who are considering a project with Dom & Tom probably shouldn’t expect to have real-time instant communication directly with their developer, but the quality of service that they get from their project manager is top of the line. They follow up on everything, and they’re extremely professional. If you’re a lone founder who is used to working directly with the developer himself, that may not be the model that Dom & Tom provides.

Multiple Mobile App Developments for Consumer Products Firm

"The biggest thing is that they’re very passionate about making sure that I’m not the only one satisfied, but that our own end customers are pleased, too."

Dom & Tom developed several web and mobile gaming applications to increase the client’s brand presence and user engagement.

Fayetteville, Arkansas Area
Senior Marketing Manager, Consumer Products Firm

The client consistently achieves metric goals with little to no bug issues and is extremely satisfied with the working relationship. One off-season game Dom & Tom created garnered an impressive 25,000 participants and another campaign brought 20,000 users online in a single hour.

I work for a consumer products manufacturer. We produce a wide variety of packaged foods for consumers. A large majority of it is protein-based, basically chicken, pork and beef.

I’m the senior marketing manager within the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Dom & Tom?

To begin with, I did not want to use an ad agency. The majority of the time, when you’re in shopper marketing, you hire an ad agency to do your Facebook posts, etc. Honestly, I didn’t want that, I wanted to have a developer because I felt that we needed to own the equipment. If I were going to create games, surveys, and other fun things, I could drive that myself but I would need the basis built. If I had given that task to an agency, they would just farm it all out, and I wanted to own it. The challenge, then, was getting the foundation built so we could do all of the things we wanted to do in the future.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

The original application they built was a chicken wing game. Our second app was Octoberfest, in which we had customers come on our Facebook page and upload their video of them yodeling. We had a contest, a voting component, awards, etc. It was engaging and fun, everyone thought it was fantastic.

I own a couple other games that we have, and we pull them out every year and update them a little. What I love is that I’m not paying every year for the same thing. They work with us on our budget, which is very important to us. I will tell them what our budget is, and they will say whether they can do it or not, or make another recommendation. I’m not an IT person, so there’s always a concern about whether we speak the same language – and we do.

We don’t have to worry about the program malfunctioning. The applications are available through web browsers, Android, iOS, and Microsoft devices. We built each application out one at a time. I couldn’t do it any other way, just from an internal point of view.

The most complex application is our scavenger hunt that we do on an annual basis. In the scavenger hunt, we keep a dashboard so that everyone can see how they’re doing against different people. You’re submitting photographs, videos, and different things; so it takes interpretation, and keeping that updated day to day, and then making sure that the results are posted, so it’s fairly complex.

I have my interns try to break the games after I get them, as part of my quality assurance [QA] testing process. We’ve had a couple of things that they found and they’ve worked on together with Dom & Tom. It gives my team a great way to interact and try new products.

How did you come to work with Dom & Tom?

They were just starting out, and a mutual friend recommended Dom & Tom. He said they were two guys starting out this new little company and that they were pretty smart, and suggested that we should try them. Since we were new at apps, we figured we would try them and it’s worked out great.

It’s about $400,000 annually on average, but it does fluctuate.

I’ve been working with them for nearly four years, and the relationship is ongoing.

Normally, it’s tied to other things. This is part of an overlay; it’s not just one component. We don’t just run a print ad; we will do everything in conjunction. You have digital, you have mobile, you’ve got print, you’ve got demos, etc. We do believe in omni-channel and 360. Let’s just put it this way - we always make our numbers.

We haven’t had an issue with users finding bugs. Two years ago, we ran a campaign where we had 20,000 people online at one time, in one hour, which is pretty amazing. We also did another program which was decorating nuggets during an off-season time for us. We got a huge response, having over 25,000 people participate, which is pretty incredible, but it’s fun and organic.

How did Dom & Tom perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re probably the only vendor that has constantly delivered on time and within budget. We’ve had times where we’ve had products discontinued. We had to put projects on the sideline, and tell them we are unable to start the project. They’re like, ‘Okay, what’s next?’ I’ve worked with other developers, and I feel comfortable in saying that they are the best of the best.

What distinguishes Dom & Tom from other providers?

I think the biggest thing is that they’re very passionate about making sure that I’m not the only one satisfied, but that our own end customers are pleased, too. I think that’s a huge benefit. If they find that there is an issue, or they think that they see something, they point it out and give us recommendations. They don’t just say, ‘Here’s a problem, you figure it out.’ They will recommend solutions to us. Which is a really great thing because they’re keeping their eye on everything; they’re very proactive.

We have always given them information about areas of concern, and what our expectations are. Often, when talking with IT people, they don’t always understand that there is a voice and a personality. You have to be able to describe that, and make sure that they understand that. We have weekly meetings and kick off meetings with them on a regular basis.

Is there anything Dom & Tom could have improved or done differently?

No, I’m very happy. I love them.

I have recommended them in the past.

Custom Enterprise App Redevelopment for Marketing and Advertising Firm

“Dom & Tom is very knowledgeable in their industry. They seem to be on the forefront of whatever technology is out there and popular.”

Mar. 2014 - Oct. 2015

Dom & Tom was initially brought on to take over support and maintenance of the client’s project management tool. They later developed an entirely new tool to be scalable for future growth.

Owner, Dynamic Resources, Inc.

The new tool is used by the internal team on a daily basis, and they’re very happy with the improved functionality, intuitive usability, and performance speeds. The client cites Dom & Tom’s array of resources and responsiveness as some of its star qualities.

We are a retail services company that provides in-store marketing and advertising services for brands around the country.

I am the owner of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Dom & Tom?

We have a proprietary project management tool that effectively runs our business, and we needed somebody to take over the maintenance and support of that tool. The developer we had working on it was not able to do that anymore, so we needed to replace them with someone else equally as skilled.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

It went from the support of an existing tool, and then became the redevelopment of the tool from scratch, with completely new source code. Initially, they just managed someone else's work and kept it up and running, and then they developed their own and rebuilt the whole tool. We wanted some new, streamlined, and scalable for future growth.

We decided to revamp the tool because technology had advanced to the point where the code was no longer relevant and modern, and we knew we couldn't grow with an obsolete tool. We needed it to be mobile-friendly, and the old code just wasn't. They did a comprehensive study, where we came up with a set of criteria that we wanted to have incorporated into the tool that we didn't currently have. There was a whole new and different process behind that. They were the technical leads on the project, and we gave them strategic guidance and feedback.

How did you come to work with Dom & Tom?

They were recommended to me by the developer who was not able to help me anymore.

It was more than $100,000.

The tool was launched in March of this past year [2014].

We don't have anything formal in place to monitor the success of the engagement, but it's the tool that all of our employees use on a daily basis, and every minute of every day – so it works, and it works well. We have the same functionality, but far better usability and performance speeds. Administratively, the new tool is also a lot easier to use. It's just more intuitive from a user standpoint. We'll be adding new features in the future and we expect Dom & Tom to help us with that, most likely.

How did Dom & Tom perform from a project management standpoint?

We had no issues with them from a project management standpoint. We found them very capable, very responsive, and very intelligent. They came to the table with a great approach and a refined development process. They asked the right questions and helped us determine what the key features and processes were that they had to replicate with our new tool. They helped us articulate exactly what it was that we needed. We were all very impressed by them.

What distinguishes Dom & Tom from other providers?

I don't have that much experience with many technology providers, to be honest. Dom & Tom is very knowledgeable in their industry. They seem to be on the forefront of whatever technology is out there and popular. They seem very knowledgeable about the latest technology. They have a deep bench of resources available to them, whether in-house or freelance, and they seem to know the right people to pull in for different things.

Is there anything Dom & Tom could have improved or done differently?

I've been working with them for a long time, and I don't think there's anything specific I would recommend. There are moments where I want things to happen faster than they do happen but, also quite often, it might be something where they need me to speed up on work that I'm doing. Like I said, because they rely on our guidance and feedback, sometimes we're the ones that slow the process down.

I've recommended them several times.

Web Development for Entertainment Management Company

"Dom & Tom has been one of the most reliable, accessible and responsive providers we've ever had the chance to work with."

Dom & Tom helped standardize the client’s website platforms and developed a full-brand experience across several disparate brands.

Los Angeles Metro Area
Director, IT Relationship Management

While no metrics are available, the client is highly impressed with Dom & Tom’s ability to meet timelines and milestones across over a dozen projects. The internal team is also very satisfied with Dom & Tom’s creative insight, project execution, and the quality of deliverables.

We are an IT [information technology] management company. We license our properties for consumer products in media distribution. We license anything from entertainment properties to lifestyle and fashion properties.

I am a director in the IT department.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Dom & Tom?

At the time that we engaged Dom & Tom for their services, we were trying to standardize our website platforms in order to provide scalable solutions across a different range of properties. At the time, we had several properties that had been developed in isolation from each other, so they weren't on a standardized platform. Dom & Tom helped us develop a full-brand experience across several disparate brands. While there was some content already there, they relaunched and consolidated the content into a new platform that was much easier to manage and maintain.

Part of the engagement involved standardizing the back-end system. We migrated all of our different micro-sites to a WordPress platform so that we could have a content management model as well as a development model for when we engage third parties for the creative process.

We decided on WordPress because it is easy for third parties to be versed in the platform. At the time, we didn't want to go with HTML5 because not enough creative agencies were versed in the new platform. WordPress had been established, proven to be scalable, and proved to provide content management capabilities that were aligned with our needs. At that time, it was more important to leverage the relative experience of our clients against the platform performance.

How did you come to work with Dom & Tom?

We envisioned that we would separate creative from technical services, so when we put the RFP [request for proposal] together, we looked at agencies that were in the business of delivering technical solutions as opposed to creative solutions.

It's in the six-figure range. I don't have a close view of the day-to-day costs, but I would say it's probably a healthy six figures.

They just finished doing a content update and upgrade to one of our power ranger sites, probably within the last 30 to 60 days [summer 2015].

Could you share any statistics, metrics or user feedback from this engagement?

I don't have any metrics off the top of my head, but every engagement and every project that we engaged has a defined timeline and milestones. In more than a dozen projects that we've engaged them with so far, not once have they missed any of those timelines or milestones. It's been fantastic. They're just extremely reliable when it comes to project delivery.

Anecdotally, everybody is satisfied with the project execution and the quality of their deliverables, and we have very few support issues, which is a great thing. Things run, so most of the engagement with Dom & Tom stems from strategic changes or content changes that we're executing, and everybody seems to be happy to continue to use them for those types of projects.

How did Dom & Tom perform from a project management standpoint?

Dom & Tom has been one of the most reliable, accessible and responsive providers we've ever had the chance to work with. We've been very impressed with how they approach their client relationships.

What distinguishes Dom & Tom from other providers?

I think one of the things that they're really good at is they perform well in high-touch, high-cadence environments. Our clients here, who interact with them directly, are active, and they require a lot of attention. Dom & Tom reacts to them quite well and gives them the level of responsiveness that's aligned with their needs.

Is there anything Dom & Tom could have improved or done differently?

It's important to have a clear vision of what you need from them to be as successful as you need them to be. That being said, it's only a vision that is needed. If you need to work out details, they're actually quite adept at cooperating with you and helping you problem solve. Once we got our vision worked out, our engagement with Dom & Tom was more efficient simply because they understood what the strategy looked like.

Very likely.

iOS & Custom CMS Development for Health Regulatory Consultancy

“Dom & Tom are genuinely interested in building something different.”

June 2014 - Mar. 2015

Dom & Tom designed and developed the client’s iOS application to present specific content from FDA websites to its customers. They also developed a small content management system to sync with the app.

Washington DC Metro Area
Chief Financial Officer, Health Regulatory Consultancy

To no fault of Dom & Tom’s, app downloads weren’t as high as anticipated, but user experience has been positive. The client’s company President was very satisfied with the final product, though the client suggests project management could be improved.

We are a regulatory consulting firm. We provide consulting services to medical product companies that have products that are regulated by the Food and Drug Administration.

I am the chief financial officer.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Dom & Tom?

We first did a feasibility study, like an R&D [research and development] project, to determine whether it would be possible to build an app that would present content from the FDA websites, but only specific content that would be applicable to our audience. The FDA website serves a very broad range of people, and we were trying to focus on content that was more critical to people in our industry. Initially, we thought we would use an FDA-provided API [application programming interface]. It did not end up that way, but that was the R&D project that we first undertook.

Then we went ahead and contracted Dom & Tom to build the app itself, but the FDA didn't really provide anything that was usable to us. In the process we also built a small content management system where we store links to the pages that we think are important, and then those pages are made available through our app.

Our website is still completely separate, but there is a web-based interface to the content management system where we flag pages on the FDA website that are critical for our users.

The app was built for iOS, as we were initially targeting iPhones. We're just about to move to the App Store a release for the iPad that leverages a larger screen.

The content management system is a fairly simplistic web-based UI [user interface], but I don't know what it was built with. We didn't have the necessary skill set in-house to develop the functional app, so Dom & Tom to the lead with it and also handled the integration, configuration, testing, and support.

We're somewhere in the ballpark of $100,000 to $150,000 right now with the application development costs, and we pay a fairly nominal monthly hosting fee as well.

The iPhone app and content management system projects were run simultaneously. We kicked them off in late June 2014, with the intent of going live in November [2014] but, for a variety of reasons, we ended up going live in March [2015]. There was never a driving reason to launch, but that was just the initial project plan. We weren't in a rush. The most recent milestone reached with them was the completion of the iPad release, which we're in the process of moving into the App Store right now.

The number of app downloads is the way most people initially measure app success. We have not seen the volume in downloads we would have hoped for. In our company, no one feels that reflects upon the work of Dom & Tom, but instead, the difficulty of getting the word out, making people understand what the app does. So I don't think that lack of downloads reflects poorly on them or their work, and that's not a measure that probably tells you very much at the moment.

In the content management system, we add probably between five and 10 pages per day. We've been live since March, so we have hundreds if not thousands of pages marked in there right now, so we are pushing through a lot of content, which is a positive sign. We're just not seeing the app consumption that we had originally expected.

We didn't get any negative feedback regarding defects on the user end. We have put out one patch release that addressed a minor problem, but that's it. There really has been no negative feedback, nor have we found any significant bugs ourselves.

Our company is a single member LLC, so the president, who is the sole proporietor, invested all the money. He's very pleased with the results. We took what we considered a vaguely formed idea to Dom & Tom. They took interest in our small idea, which several other shops wouldn't even consider. Dom & Tom took a genuine interest in taking on this project and trying to help us figure it out.

I think what we all came to was not exactly what we were hoping for in terms of how much effort it takes to maintain, but it's still a very workable option. We are very pleased with the work that they did in coming up with the concept and then really bringing it to market. I think the app is well designed from a user experience perspective. Dom & Tom have very good designers, and they brought a lot to the table on that. They don't have any real knowledge of our industry, so we contributed all of that, of course.

What distinguishes Dom & Tom from other providers?

I think they are the right size to take on things like this. Dom & Tom are genuinely interested in building something different. They weren't concerned necessarily about the project having to be a certain size, dollar amount or anything like that. They encourage their technical folks to find projects that are compelling and to carry them through.

In hindsight, are there areas in which they could improve, or things you might do differently?

I would say that they struggle with project management and making sure that the communication is constant on where we are. In our case, we didn't have any strict deadlines, so that was okay. Also, we have a completely separate day job so, in our situation, it worked fine and we have just worked along with it. If someone did have a critical deadline, they would need to really ramp up their communication and project management efforts. As we went along, resources disappeared – which happens and we all understand that – but it became quite a guessing game to figure out who was working on what.

I can't tell you how they operate with their other clients, but we were open upfront that we did not have a driving deadline. We wanted to get the work done right, not by a particular date, so certainly that would have impacted their staffing. I think like any other shop that is resource constrained, you plan and then when it's three weeks after it was supposed to end, you're still testing and finding bugs. It's the game that everyone plays, but because of their size, there are only so many people they can tap into and only so many projects that can be run concurrently.

I really think that communication is the trickiest part of all of this, and that's an area where everyone who does application development can improve. It's better to over-communicate with your business sponsors than the opposite.

That's hard, because I think we left the door open for the schedule to slip, but I don't think that they can be blamed for that.
    I think we got good value for what we paid.
    It was our understanding that they had done user acceptance testing, but when we pushed the app to actual users, we found quite a few issues...I believe it's important for clients to have clear expectations about the level of testing that will be done...
    I'd be very willing to recommend them. I'd do so with a couple of suggestions, however.