The B2B Search Marketing Agency

You are looking for a B2B search engine marketing agency that can deliver serious results.

We provide industry leading search engine marketing campaigns for ROI-driven B2B companies. We are fiercely committed to delivering a truly exceptional service that exceeds your marketing KPIs and delivers quantifiable revenue.

Whether you are looking to improve organic rankings or increase paid leads, we specialize in driving more revenue at a lower cost per acquisiton.

Costa Mesa, CA
  • Directive Consulting
    555 West 5th Street, Floor 35 #306
    Los Angeles, CA 90013
    (213) 271-1517

• Clutch.co (hired us to consult on their SEO)
  • Liaison Technologies (BI/Data)
  • SentinelOne (cyber security)
  • Allstate Insurance Company
  • Ultimate Ears (Logitech company)
  • Fugue (SaaS)
  • eSub (SaaS)
  • Sutter Health (health care)
  • PhishLabs (security firm)
  • GPSTrackit (telematics)

SEO & PPC Campaign for e-Learning Company

"In the first quarter of this year, traffic to our site increased 36% over the same period last year and conversions increased 60%."

Dec. 2016 - Ongoing

Directive Consulting expands and manages advertising efforts for an e-learning company. They create blog content regularly, help with link-building and SEO, and focus on increasing traffic and conversion rates.

Portland, Oregon
Marketing Manager, e-Learning Company

The team at Directive Consulting is creative and ambitious. They explore options beyond what another company might offer, and can effectively take over various marketing strategies. Although certain line items can be lost, the team has done their job well and they fulfill expectations.

The company creates workforce training courses, health and safety training, industrial skilled training, e-learning courses, and learning management software. I’m the marketing manager.

What challenge were you trying to address with Directive Consulting?

We wanted to increase traffic and conversions on our website. We wanted to increase the demo requests and fill our pipeline. We have a limited amount of resources internally and weren’t able to make the progress that we wanted to make just having myself and one other person working on all of our marketing efforts. We needed someone who was committed to working on our goals full-time.

They’ve been able to contribute in many different areas. They manage our PPC advertising and helped us grow our efforts there enormously. We’ve gone from PPC to YouTube ads to Gmail ads and exploring other paid advertising opportunities that they’re able to manage for us. They create content for our site and our blog posts and help with our link-building efforts. We have agreed that they would provide 5 posts a month. They also help us do general optimization of posts and content. We have our own content writer but he doesn’t have a marketing background. On our own, we struggle sometimes to do the research and identify topics based on their potential for driving traffic and conversions.

Our relationship has been a collaborative effort where Directive Consulting can do research and come up with suggestions for posts that fit our subject matter based on our business model and our markets and then we can decide whether to use it or not. They’ve been able to come up with some good topics and I’ve been pleased especially as our relationship has developed over the past 6 months. They’re understanding our business better.

How did you come to work with Directive Consulting?

They cold emailed me at just the right time and I thought it was a clever email. I followed up on the owner and realized the owner, Garrett, was really sharp.

We started working with them in December 2016, and the work is ongoing.

In the first quarter of this year, traffic to our site increased 36% over the same period last year and conversions increased 60%. I would not say content is the strength of what they’ve offered. Content was a strength of ours before we brought them on. The content they’re creating is shallow but probably good for keyword research. It’s not something we’d put out as high-value thought leadership pieces. They have helped a lot in informing us how to optimize the content that we do create.

They had suggested very early on that we move our blog from the subdomain that it was on to our primary domain and I think that’s had a big effect on organic search traffic. They’ve been able to help with more technical optimization that has gotten us some wins. Being able to unload all of our online advertising efforts and have them manage all of that has been big for us because we don’t have the resources in-house to do that. They’ve been good about continuing to explore options and we’re now moving into Facebook and LinkedIn. I think being able to expand our advertising efforts has contributed greatly to the increase in traffic and conversions.

How did Directive Consulting perform from a project management standpoint?

Our project manager is our main point of contact and he manages his team of PPC and SEO team members. There are certain things that I’ve requested that have not come back as quickly as I’d like. It makes me wonder if they’re overwhelmed or if we get less priority because we’re a small company. I know there’s only so much time they can put in for the amount of money we spend, so that’s a challenge to keep in perspective.

Overall, I like working with them. We have a standing meeting every week and then a monthly report. Sometimes the smaller line items can get lost. We had a handful of spreadsheets in Google Docs at the beginning where we kept track of everything but we don’t review those every time we get together to make sure everything is done. There are things they tell me I need to take care of and I don’t get a chance to, but then, at the next meeting, we don’t even talk about that. So those items just fall off. We’ve had times there’s a post we want them to optimize so we can publish them on the blog and they don’t get to it.

What did you find most impressive about Directive Consulting?

I haven’t worked with other digital marketing agencies, but we did spend some time evaluating a couple different companies. I can tell you the reason we decided to go with them was because they offered a broader range of services than a lot of other agencies who might just focus on managing an AdWords campaign or doing on-page SEO, etc. Initially when talking to Garrett, Directive Consulting seemed to have more ideas and some really creative ideas of places we could advertise and things we could be exploring outside of just AdWords and changing page titles, etc.

Are there any areas Directive Consulting could improve?

One thing I was hoping to get when I started working with them was identifying a list of keywords that we should make sure we’re targeting and seeing where we rank for those. It’s still unclear to me what our core keywords are. Maybe it was a misconception on my part but I thought that would be a fundamental part of getting started on a project like this. Maybe that’s a longer process to identify those. I know they’re doing keyword research on a post-by-post basis, so maybe I just misunderstood.

We’ve had delays at times getting content from them. But they’ve also been responsive to emails and to getting certain reports and data to us ahead of management meetings.
    They’ve helped us with a lot of different things that we wouldn’t have been able to do on our own.
    I’m generally satisfied with what they provided.

SEM for LED Lighting Company

"About 20% of the new leads we’re getting monthly can be traced back to the work they’re doing."

Aug. 2016 - Ongoing

Directive Consulting provides a steady stream of incoming leads from distributors and contractors. Directive has been building content for the client's website and growing their online presence.

Los Angeles, California Area
Marketing Coordinator, LED Lighting Company

Directive Consulting provides about 20% of the client's recent incoming phone leads that have led to more sales. They communicate well with the client's Chinese technical staff and are persistent in explaining bugs and issues.

We are a manufacturer of LED lighting, working with distributors and contractors. I’m the marketing coordinator. I seek out marketing opportunities for the company and give us a presence in whatever arena our competitors are in.

What challenge were you trying to address with Directive?

We initially approached them to get us a stream of possible leads. However, what we need right now as a company is more online content and presence.

The initial focus was on pay-per-click and search engine optimization, which we’re still strong in. Currently, we’re also asking for creative because they’re quite strong at both. We eventually started having them produce written content and ads.

How did you come to work with Directive?

Initially, it was on location. Our previous firm was in New Jersey. The time zones and distance made it sometimes a little difficult to work together, so we wanted a company that was within an hour’s drive from us so we could meet up with them in person if necessary. We interviewed three or four different firms in the area. Directive stood out because they just had, far and away, the best customer service, and their systems were incredibly detailed as far as the checklist they used.

How much have you invested with Directive?

We pay them about $6,000 monthly.

We started with them August 2016, and the work is still ongoing.

A lot of our business is over the phone and the majority of the leads they’ve been generating for us are over the phone. About 20% of the new leads we’re getting monthly can be traced back to the work they’re doing.

We’ve had a couple of technical and translation hiccups because we have a lot of our technical stuff—servers and other things—in China. That’s been an issue, but it has nothing to do with Directive. It’s just that there are language barriers and technical peculiarities in how work is done. Directive has really impressed me on this front by how persistent and good they are with different tactics for communicating with our Chinese side.

How did Directive perform from a project management standpoint?

Their service has been really excellent. They’re constantly going back and editing the work they’ve done, which is pretty cool to see. I was also impressed by how frequently they would revamp their processes, and I can see that as we’re working together.

What did you most impressive about Directive?

I was impressed by their attentiveness to detail and the consistency of their updates to the work and weekly reports.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with Directive?

Every firm is not for everybody. Do your research and definitely stay involved. This is definitely a firm where there’s a lot of cooperation between them and your people in-house.

Overall Score It’s been an extremely positive experience so far.
    They’re quite good at this.
    They’re worth a lot. They’re pricey and the price can also climb quite quickly, but I feel we’re definitely getting our money’s worth.
    Generally, they do excellent work. They have been very good and persistent. They don’t always get it on the first try, but they’ll come around and keep editing it.
    It would depend on the firm and its budget. If they were in a similar position to me, then I would definitely recommend them.

SEM for Cybersecurity Provider

"When comparing organic users from Q3 and Q4 of 2016 to Q3 and Q4 of 2015, we saw a 128% increase with 51,707 users compared to 22,647."

Jun. 2016 - Ongoing

Directive Consulting provides search engine marketing services to grow incoming qualified lead volume for a client across North America using SEO, PPC, and social media marketing.

San Francisco, California Area
Sr. Director of Americas Marketing, Cybersecurity Provider

Directive Consulting has amplified incoming lead numbers and organic traffic. They report weekly and make corrections constantly to improve results.

We are shaping the future of endpoint security with an integrated platform that unifies the detection, prevention, and remediation of threats initiated by nation states, terrorists, and organized crime. Our unique approach is based on the deep inspection of all system processes combined with innovative machine learning to isolate malicious behaviors quickly, protecting devices against advanced, targeted threats in real time. I am the senior director of Americas marketing, responsible for demand generation, field marketing, channel marketing, and awareness for the Americas.

What challenge were you trying to address with Directive Consulting?

We were seeking overall organization of and visibility into our investment in PPC, paid social, and SEO. We wanted to drive leads and awareness.

Directive Consulting performed a technical SEO audit of the website in the first 30 days. After the project, they have since been performing PPC, SEO, content marketing, and some social advertising on a monthly basis. With PPC, they manage our AdWords, Bing, and Capterra accounts. With SEO, they have been focusing on backlinks, optimizing content, technical issues, and tactics.

How did you come to work with Directive Consulting?

We had a need, and they came inbound. We listened to their list of services, and I called their references.

How much have you invested with Directive Consulting?

Their fee is $7,500 per month, and our ad investment is $12,000 per month.

We started in June 2016, and the project is ongoing.

They show us every week where we are gaining and losing and make edits accordingly. We've grown in share of voice and organic search. However, the paid search lead conversion is still to be determined.

Directive began their engagement with us in June. Since that time, we went from ranking for 8 keywords in the top 10 positions to ranking for 51 keywords, according to data we receive from SEMrush. When comparing organic users from Q3 and Q4 of 2016 to Q3 and Q4 of 2015, we saw a 128% increase with 51,707 users compared to 22,647. Comparison data for leads for PPC and SEO is unavailable because tracking was set up during the Directive project in June.

What did you find most impressive about Directive Consulting?

I'm lucky to work with two vendors – Directive and my content agency – that work together to develop a strategy and execute to generate organic leads. They are both unique in this manner.

Are there any areas Directive Consulting could improve?

It is not the fault of Directive, but we need more resources devoted to the project to be responsive and let them move faster.

Digital Marketing for Software as a Service Company

"We've seen a huge bump in our conversion rates, which is in large part due to Directive's suggestions."

Aug. 2016 - Ongoing

Directive Consulting recently engaged with the client to build product demand through a coordinated search engine optimization and digital marketing effort because product growth had plateaued.

Lincoln, Nebraska
CEO, Software as a Service Company

Directive Consulting is praised for producing improvement in sales conversions and a 60 percent increase in sales in the first 90 days.

Mobile Text Alerts is a software-as-a-service company that allows users to send out mass text alerts to their groups. Subscribers are able to send our mass texts, sometimes to as many as 40,000 subscribers. We were founded in 2011. I am the founder and chief executive officer of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Directive Consulting?

The nature of software as a service entails losing some customers each month. I had been doing marketing on my own, and our growth had plateaued somewhat.

SEO is one subject about which I'm knowledgeable, so we were doing well in this regard. Even so, Directive came in with a bunch of suggestions that have already provided great benefits during the course of only 2 months. Directive also helped manage our Facebook ads and Google AdWords campaigns as well as organizing the content on our home page, optimizing it for better conversions.

How did you come to work with Directive Consulting?

I believe that I found Directive on Clutch, where they had some good reviews. I also interviewed other candidates, but ultimately decided on Directive.

How much have you invested with Directive Consulting?

We spend between $10,000 and $50,000 per year with them.

We started working with Directive at the beginning of August 2016. After the initial setup and website optimization, we have maintained a monthly retainer with Directive.

I've been very satisfied. We've seen a huge bump in our conversion rates, which is in large part due to Directive's suggestions. We have taken off navigation button from the sign-up page, making people more inclined to fill out the form, rather than visit other pages.

The Facebook ads made by Directive have seen many conversions. We had been dumping a lot of money on Facebook ads that weren't converting at all. Directive directed the same funds toward a better direction.

September 2016 was the first full month of having Directive's systems put in place. We saw a 60 percent increase in sales. I don't attribute all the credit to Directive's work, but they were a huge part of that increase. We saw paid signups go up by about 45 percent, which is also in large part due to Directive's work on Facebook ads.

Through the SEO and the different keywords targeted by Directive, we've also seen a huge spike in traffic. These will be long-term dividends, so we weren't expecting to see short-term results so quickly.

How did Directive Consulting perform from a project management standpoint?

Our collaboration is done mostly on the phone and through email. Directive is in California while we're located in Lincoln, Nebraska. Directive gives me a project update once a week, going over any concerns I might have and the current update agenda.

What did you find most impressive about Directive Consulting?

Compared to other marketing companies I've worked with, Directive seems to have experts for each of the different fields that we were looking for like content and SEO, as well as Facebook and Google marketing. Some of the agencies we used in the past consisted of one person trying to do everything. They may have been strong in terms of SEO, but lacking in the Facebook ads area, for example.

Are there any areas Directive Consulting could improve?

When I first signed up with Directive, I was paying a lot of money without being sure what they'd be doing. I based my decision on some of the Clutch reviews saying that the work would be worth it but wasn't sure what Directive would actually do. I did mention having a better upfront explanation about what they offered to my account manager from Directive.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with Directive Consulting?

Many people have asked me this question. I usually advise them to consider marketing a worthy investment. Many companies don't want to put the money in for marketing but, especially considering Directive's consulting, it's been worth the investment. People need to look at the work as an investment in the company's future dividends, rather than as a purchase.

Overall Score Directive is a bit pricey, compared to other services that we've looked into. Even with the extra cost, it was worth it to have access to experts in multiple areas.
    My account manager has constantly called and emailed me, keeping me in the loop. Directive hit every deadline and was proactive and quick about any of my requests.
    Directive has done a great job. However but, when I originally signed up, I didn't take into consideration the fact that, not only am I paying a retainer fee to Directive, I'm also paying for Facebook and Google ads.
    I don't know what I could ask Directive to do better. They went above and beyond on everything that we needed.
    I already recommended Directive.

SEM for Cloud Software Tool

"Directive has good experts who are dedicated to various areas of our digital efforts. They're involved in every little project, so I have no recommendations for improvements."

Directive Consulting was engaged by a software-as-a-service client to produce qualified sales leads for the sales team, starting with basic keyword strategy.

Los Angeles Metro Area
Director of Marketing, Cloud Software Company

Directive Consulting is commended for their ability to produce results within 90 days, with an organized and tenacious growth strategy. Directive is recommended to clients of all sizes that need to grow qualified leads aggressively.

eSUB Construction Software is a cloud-based project management software-as-a-service company. Our product is 100% dedicated to subcontractors in the construction industry, who use our technology in the field for time-cards, daily reports, information requests, annotated image sharing, corporate reporting (including costs and milestones), and so on. It the product is designed to be used by many types of users, such as field workers, project managers, accounting staff, and executives. It has created a bridge between project management and accounting departments; the labor, cost and time data tracked by individuals in the field goes directly (once approved) into the Construction Company's accounting software, allowing finance people to create reports and work on payroll.

I am the Marketing Director of the company, responsible for everything from P&L [profit & loss], to strategic and tactical planning, and implementing different lead gen programs, digital or not. I am also in charge of live events like trade shows and other outings. We work with various associations in the industry, so I head off those efforts, making sure that the tech stack is working in alignment with our lead generation processes to help accelerate leads into the sales funnel. I'm also responsible for our Salesforce marketing and automation platform.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Directive Consulting?

We'd worked with other small, one-man shops which had expertise in SEO [search engine optimization] and pay-per-click, but they weren't generating a return on investment. We approached Directive Consulting to revamp our entire digital approach - start from the very beginning in building a keyword strategy.

We have worked with Directive Consulting in implementing a solid end-to-end digital strategy aimed at increasing traffic to our website and generating a return on investment. The philosophy is if it isn't measurable and working, we need to try a different approach.  Directive was also in charge of SEO, social media marketing, and content creation.

One of the things that was exciting about Directive was their transparency regarding working with me to develop goals and objectives, building out a plan, running test scenarios for every campaign, and taking our investment strategy on different channels into consideration. We worked backward from there through a content strategy which could support our digital efforts.

How did you come to work with Directive Consulting?

We interviewed a number of agencies, met with them and checked expertise and references for each one. It came down to who was a better fit, had the best references, and was the most transparent regarding their capabilities.

How much have you invested with Directive Consulting?

The cost of Directive's work is above $50,000 per year.

We've been working with Directive for 3-4 months, and have come to develop a good working relationship which will be long-term.

In the first 30 days of our collaboration, we gave Directive an audit project through which they were tasked at identifying the opportunities for improving our website, as well as keyword and content strategy. Directive looked at what type of content would push up our organic ranking. From there, we carved out different responsibilities between my own team and Directive's. We tested out several different campaigns, working on multiple action items. One of them involves a 5-minute soup to nuts promotional video. We have built over 40 pages of content which will be deployed on our website after the video is completed, so we're still working on many action items.

The results have been very positive. Over the last month, we've reached new levels of organic traffic on our website, and we're starting to see higher conversion rates from our pay-per-click and landing page efforts.

We have a vertical relationship with a software company, offering business advice. We've seen an increase in conversion rates, and have closed a deal with one business as a result of increasing our rankings on our 2 landing pages.

In terms of organic results, we've generated the highest number of demo requests of all time, during last month. It was a 20-30% increase which resulted in more business.

Over a short period, we've seen a return on investment through Directive's work. From a marketing standpoint, we're hitting our numbers.

How did Directive Consulting perform from a project management standpoint?

Directive has had weekly meetings with us, shared strategy, and worked towards action items, providing result reports on time. They're also very good people with whom it's easy to do business.

What did you find most impressive about Directive Consulting?

Directive is very transparent, which is very good for a digital agency. There are many competitors out there which, while not being Black Hat, have secrets which they're unwilling to share with clients, or they simply don't know what they're doing.

Are there any areas Directive Consulting could improve?

No. Directive has good experts who are dedicated to various areas of our digital efforts. They're involved in every little project, so I have no recommendations for improvements.

Overall Score Directive Consulting is awesome.
    I get weekly reports on time, and Directive Consulting also provides monthly reports, which are much more detailed.
    The content written by Directive Consulting has been really good, and they've been able to get up-to-speed on our industry. I have a master's in communication, so I'm very critical in terms of writing.
    I've worked with around 5 digital agencies over time. Directive Consulting has been the best so far.

Search Engine Marketing for Operations Software Company

"From the get-go, I could tell that they were really out for my best interest."

Feb. 2016 - Ongoing

Directive Consulting provides a software company with SEO, pay-per-click, social media marketing, and consulting on content creation.

Horsham, Pennsylvania
Director of Global Marketing, Operations Software Company

Website traffic, including overall visits, payments, and organic visits, have all increased since engagine with Directive Consulting. Qualified and paid leads have also risen. Total paid clicks, ad-click-to-lead ratio, and cost-per-lead all improved within the first 60 days of the partnership.

Aegis develops enterprise-level MES [Manufacturing Execution System] software for discrete manufacturing. They develop, market, sell, and support their solution globally with offices in the US, UK, Germany, and China.

I’m the Global Vice President of Marketing.

What challenge were you trying to address with Directive Consulting?

To drive quality leads from each key region to our website. North America to start, and now we’re expanding to Europe and then, ultimately, Asia.

It’s pretty comprehensive. We did a lot of SEO [search engine optimization] work on the back end, which has proven very fruitful on the organic side of things. We’ve seen our metrics on the organic side go up quite a bit since they’ve been engaged. They’re doing a full pay-per-click campaign for us, which incorporates Google, Bing, and some software referral sites as well, like Capterra and Software Advisor. Also, they’re doing paid social, LinkedIn and Facebook, and then organic as well.

Directive Consulting produced a few content pieces initially for us, but we have a really technical audience, so it’s difficult to write content that’s really engaging at an engineering level. What they are doing is providing keyword-based topics and headlines for content that we’re queueing up and panning to develop internally. Directive will then incorporate that content into our paid and organic social media programs.

How did you come to work with Directive Consulting?

A Google search, of course. They were recommended on MOZ and ranked very high organically on Google, so I put them on my short list. They were one of three different companies that fit my profile in terms of the scope of what they were offering. I wanted somebody local to my area as well. Our corporate headquarters are in Philadelphia, but I’m in California, so I wanted somebody in Orange County who I could meet with periodically as needed. We do a lot of stuff over the phone and via the web, but it’s always good to meet face-to-face at certain key points throughout the year.

How much have you invested with Directive Consulting?

The average year is going to be about $50,000.

It’s ongoing and I plan to use them for the foreseeable future. I hired them in February and they started in March, and we saw measurable improvement in traffic and qualified leads almost immediately. We have a contract through the end of the year, and as long as we continue to see positive results, I intend to extend that contract into 2017.

I’ve seen improvement in a lot of different areas. We’re tracking a whole slew of metrics, and they’re almost all up because of Directive's work. I’ve built out a pretty comprehensive web tracker that tracks the whole of KPIs [key performance indicators] relative to historical performance. We’ve also established goals that go against that.

We track the overall visitors that come to the site, so we do track quality visits. Those have gone up relative to organic and paid quality visits. Then we have our leads. Obviously, we have a couple of different categories of leads when they come to our site and fill out different forms. One is when they fill out an information request, which is specifically requesting a salesperson to contact them. A secondary softer lead is when they download gated content. We’re tracking those, and those metrics have improved as well, both paid and organic.

We track our total paid clicks, our ad-click-to-lead ratio, and then cost per lead. Everything is going up. I was seeing positive results within the first 60 days. We were definitely getting results I could brag about within 60 days.

How did Directive Consulting perform from a project management standpoint?

My project manager is really outstanding.

What did you find most impressive about Directive Consulting?

They get it. I’ve been doing this 17 years, and I have worked with hundreds of vendors for different projects in the past. I have longstanding relationships with certain contractors. I kind of have a best-of-breed model where, rather than hiring internal people, I pay even a premium to work with best-of-breed in different areas, whether it’s web development, graphic design, advertising, or PR. I try to establish long-term relationships, so the relationship is really important to me. From the get-go, I could tell that they were really out for my best interest, and they wanted to establish a long-term relationship that was going to be beneficial to both of us.

They’re no-nonsense. They knew I was very data-driven and that my decisions about them were going to be based on a combination of a good working relationship as well as measurable results. I knew that right from the get-go. I tasked them with several things in the vetting process that I wanted examples of, and I only gave them a short period of time to do it because I wanted to gauge their willingness and desire to work with me, and they accommodated that. I basically gave them an absurd request before I even signed a contract with them, and they fulfilled it. That was at the beginning, so that gave me a good feeling. I had been burned by another vendor, and I wasn’t going to make that mistake twice.

I wanted to set aside a half hour or so each week to have tracking meetings and measure the performance from that previous week, and they’ve been very accommodating with that. They were always providing me with comprehensive reports, but they weren’t exactly in the format that was easiest for me to convey that information to my superiors, so they’ve been very accommodating and adaptive in putting together a measurement model that works really well for me. It ties the measurable metrics to the activities that they’re doing, so it makes it very easy for me to say to my management, “Hey, these are the things that we’re doing, and this is the result. These particular categories are key KPIs.” I can show them what we’re doing that’s driving those results and what we’re going to be doing in the future, along with what’s working and what’s not. They’ve adapted to my requirements enthusiastically.

Are there any areas Directive Consulting could improve?

They could always be cheaper, but you get what you pay for. They’re considerably more expensive than my last vendor, but at the end of the day, the value I’m getting from them is far superior to what I was getting previously. I don’t blame them for that, especially since I sell six-figure software. What else could they do differently? Nothing. I’ve been pleasantly surprised with them, and I’m hard to please.

They go the extra mile. I have a project manager and then they have several people on the back end, and they’ll bring those people in on the call any time I have a question.

They leave no stone unturned in their quest to drive new leads to our site. They’re looking at every angle constantly, measuring, testing, and improving. I don’t have to ask for anything. They know far more about this than I do, and they’re leveraging that to get the results.

Overall Score They’re a great vendor.
    They have not missed a deadline.
    They’re expensive, but they’re worth it. It’s like complaining about the cost of a Bentley. You shouldn’t be in the market for a Bentley if you’re going to complain about the cost. For the value of what I’m spending, it’s a four and a half.
    They provide me with measurable results and the strategy for employing tactics to improve each of those results in a very comprehensive manner. We have weekly meetings to convey that.
    I’ve already told a whole bunch of people. I’m loathe to do it on the one hand because I don’t want them to get too busy or too successful, especially with industry contacts that have larger companies who could potentially have a larger engagement.

Online Marketing for GPS Provider

"Directive is made up of great, intelligent people who are passionate about what they do."

April 2016 - Ongoing

Directive Consulting provided SEO, content marketing, pay-per-click, general website management, and support of social media campaigns.

Director of Marketing, GPS Software Provider

Thanks to back-linking and keyword optimization, conversions on pay-per-click and ROI on landing page investment increased immediately. Though they lacked a top-notch graphics department, Directive Consulting earned praise for their solid communication style and technical skill.

GPS Tracker is a sub-company of Global Tracking Communications, Inc. We own, write, and operate our own software aimed at providing ways to optimize businesses.

I am the Marketing Manager of the company. I am responsible for online marketing as well.

What challenge were you trying to address with Directive Consulting?

Our challenge is building a competitive business in the field, using a limited budget. Some of our competitors are big corporations, so we need to be creative in terms of marketing endeavors and spending.

Directive Consulting has helped us with the SEO [search engine optimization] profile of the company, as well as with content marketing and pay-per-click. We try to separate ourselves from competitors by creating a consultancy image for the company. The marketing spend is driven towards our online presence and brand identity.

Directive helped with back-linking, on-site and off-site SEO, cleaned up our website code, and created custom landing pages supporting social media campaigns. Directive Consulting has tracked our conversions and worked on improving our general SEO profile.

How did you come to work with Directive Consulting?

I've used many SEO companies in the past, and found Directive through research. I was able to contract them once the company assigned a bigger marketing budget, and they've been my best partner so far.

How much have you invested with Directive Consulting?

We will spend at least $50,000 in the first year.

We started working with Directive in April 2016. Our first month was spent cleaning up our website and coming up with a game plan. Once the new site was launched, Directive implemented more on-page SEO tweaks, backlinks, and landing pages.

Since we've only been working together for a short amount of time, I haven't seen many results, especially given that we have a 90-day sales cycle. There have been more conversions on the pay-per-click campaigns that Directive managed, so I've been happy so far.

Outside of conversions, we have seen an increase for the return-on-investment given by our landing pages. Our ranking has been increasing steadily after the site launch, which was surprising to us. Usually, at this point in the relationship with an SEO company, there comes a period of excuses and requests to wait for 3 months before seeing any kinds of results. Directive Consulting has handled back-linking behind-the-scenes and worked on our pay-per-click campaign, optimizing our keywords and moving the budget around. This made a significant difference.

How did Directive Consulting perform from a project management standpoint?

Directive has been great in terms of communication. Because I'm working with an outside SEO company, I've felt the need of keeping a very close relationship, but Directive has performed great on multiple lines. I've worked with many of their team members, who have been helpful to me.

What did you find most impressive about Directive Consulting?

Directive is made up of great, intelligent people who are passionate about what they do. This is the main thing that separates Directive from other SEO companies and gives them good value for the price point.

Are there any areas Directive Consulting could improve?

Directive doesn't have a good graphics department, and it would be nice if we could buddy-up our content marketing with infographics and animations.

Overall Score I'm holding off on a perfect rating until we reach the first position in rankings.

Search Engine Marketing for Nutrition Company

"Directive [is] actually taking the time to break down the information for us and helping us understand it."

Apr. 2016 - Ongoing

Directive Consulting helped a startup build their national business with SEO, pay-per-click, and social media marketing campaigns that took advantage of a new website.

Columbus, Ohio
Co-founder, Nutrition Company

Visits to the startup's microsites have gone up, as have keyword rankings. The account rep from Directive Consulting delivered fantastic results, and the team's detailed monthly reports and willingness to explain services to members of the internal team were also a big help.

We are a biometric performance testing company. We use clinical-grade technology to measure and track people's health and fitness progress, specifically their body composition, cardio fitness, and metabolic health. We offer biomarker testing, genetic fitness testing, gut health testing, and anything else related to tracking the body.

I am a co-founder of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Directive Consulting?

We needed help in creating a more holistic campaign across all digital channels and social platforms. We have a microsite strategy, so we needed to make sure that there was consistency across all sites, establishing ourselves as an authority. Outreach, growth, and consistency across the brand were our goals.

Directive Consulting is helping us tighten up and optimize our social platforms, pay-per-click ads, and also providing SEO services.

How did you come to work with Directive Consulting?

I might have read an article about Directive. I looked them up, reached out, and had a long courting process. Directive took the time to talk to us, explain everything, and put together a thorough report of their offerings, showing us how we could improve. After talking to Directive, we had a good vibe. We're still a young company and had a tight budget at the time, so it took us a while to get to a point at which we'd be comfortable with delegating the work to a specialist in the digital world.

How much have you invested with Directive Consulting?

We plan to spend around $50,000 to $100,000 for Directive's services in 2016.

We've been working with Directive for 2-3 months and have an ongoing relationship.

Our relationship is still in the early stages, but we've seen some good results. It's been a pleasure working with our account rep from Directive. I'm familiar with this field, so I've been able to work with him.

Subjectively, I have seen an increase in our site visits and keyword rankings. We're still learning which ads need to be optimized in order to get better results, but the experience has been positive.

How did Directive Consulting perform from a project management standpoint?

Directive has been very professional and thorough in terms of monthly reports, which was important to me. More than simply showing results, I appreciated the amount of detail we've received. Directive isn't simply putting in the minimum amount of effort, but actually taking the time to break down the information for us and helping us understand it.

What did you find most impressive about Directive Consulting?

I have an older colleague who hates technology, but wanted to have a conversation with Directive if he was going to spend money on their services. Directive did an excellent job in handling his personality. There is definitely an age gap when it comes to understanding technology and how it can optimize a business. People with a more old-school approach to business can be skeptical and hard to persuade. Directive's principal stated his case well during our conversations.

Are there any areas Directive Consulting could improve?

No. Directive could improve our ads and SEO, but they're still learning our business. Our relationship is still new and there will always be improvements.

With tech projects, there will always be missed deadlines. If anyone performs perfectly, that usually means that they've cut some corners.
    From what I've seen, Directive's work has been solid. There were no glaring issues that stood out.

SEO and Facebook Campaigns for Legal Document Company

"They are certainly a driven and passionate group that goes out and gets results quickly."

2014 - Ongoing

Directive Consulting originally provided a legal company with SEO work, and was later rehired to manage a Facebook marketing campaign.

Irvine, California
President, Legal Document Company

The initial organic SEO engagement provided by Directive Consulting was a success, and their Facebook campaign showed promise in the initial stages. The team's technical knowledge and skill made them an excellent partner and candidate for future work.

We provide assistance for legal documentation.

I am the president of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Directive Consulting?

We wanted to launch a Facebook advertising campaign.

Directive provided Facebook advertising services for us.

How did you come to work with Directive Consulting?

We'd used them in the past for SEO [search engine optimization] work, which we stopped due to budgetary reasons. We were pleased with the work done by Directive, so we called them back.

The current project cost is confidential.

The project was short term. After the setup done by their team, we've taken over the campaign ourselves. If it pays off, we will circle back to them and do more work. We've worked with Directive for a total of four months combined for our Facebook advertising and SEO work, during a period of around two years.

Directive is great to work with, very helpful and responsive. Our experience has been positive. I love their passion and technical knowledge, they are a young and vibrant group. We've only engaged in Facebook advertising for a week, so it's too early for meaningful metrics.

How did Directive Consulting perform from a project management standpoint?

I can't comment too much yet on project management. They are certainly a driven and passionate group that goes out and gets results quickly.

What distinguishes Directive Consulting from other providers?

They're simply great to work with.

Is there anything Directive Consulting could have improved or done differently?

With Facebook, we were hoping to start an automated campaign targeted at the people who had clicked on our ads, but we found out that this wasn't possible. We now need to either do this manually, or hire Directive later on. Had we known this, we would have changed the project specs in the beginning.

They aren't cheap, but they get results, so I think the value was strong. It was hard to justify the expense until we saw results.

Digital Marketing for Electrical Engineering Company

"The accessibility and customer service they provide are excellent."

Jan. 2016 - Ongoing

Directive Consulting provided organic SEO, pay-per-click management, social media marketing, and some technology and strategy consulting to an equipment manufacturer.

San Jose, California
CEO, Electrical Engineering Company

Following an initial review, Directive Consulting produced a 15% increase in organic SEO traffic and lowered cost per acquisition by 50%. Their small team frequently required input from internal staff, but earned praise for their breadth of expertise and eagerness to learn.

We manufacture test and measurement equipment, namely devices that monitor signals on wired protocol buses. We work with standards like I2C, USB, and others. These are things that a normal, everyday consumer wouldn't know about, even though they're found in everyday life.

All off the devices that communicate wirelessly with an Apple product are powered through USB. A car has five or six CAN buses in it. SPI is a language used to program every type of flash memory a user may have interacted with. We sell our products to electrical engineers. Our market is highly technical, with maybe only one million people worldwide.

I am the Chief Executive Officer of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Directive?

We wanted to improve our natural conversion rate on paid searches, and also improve the total number of visits to our sites, spending as little money as possible in the process.

Directive provides organic SEO and strategy work for us. They also handle our pay per click work, including LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter marketing. I have a bias with regards to social media expenses, based on my past experience. Directive is trying to convince me otherwise by obtaining results.

How did you come to work with Directive?

A manager in our company was in charge of looking at available agencies. I got the number down to a top three. I interviewed each one, looking at the breadth of their service and attitude. The agency we'd worked with in the past gave me the impression that we were being taken for granted. They stopped coming in with new ideas, as opposed to Directive. They come up with a lot of ideas and are willing to tell me if they're unsure if something will work or not.

The cost of their services is in the six figures per year.

I started working with them on January 1st, 2016.

I'm beginning to see preliminary metrics which are showing me that my SEO is way up. During the last month, I received 20,000 organic visits, which is 15% better than any other month before that. On the pay per click side, the cost per conversion has been driven down by well over 50%. I think that this is quite remarkable and due to Directive's work. I now need to reallocate those funds to even more of the same work. My aim is not to save money, but to get more sales.

The process with Directive started off with a comprehensive review, which took a month. During that time, they didn't do anything significant from an activity perspective. They then agreed upon an action plan. Directive has a breadth of skilled people, including individual specialists for pay per click, SEO, engagement management, blog writing, social media marketing, and initial investment strategy. They're a relatively small company, but are big enough to have specialized resources in what they do. They've been also willing to help with technical issues with my site, including WordPress items.

Their latest recommendations had to do with user interface [UI] changes within the website aimed at enhancing searches and user comfort. I wouldn't have taken their advice about the UI unless I was reasonably certain that Directive was starting to learn what my particular audience was. They're as full-service an agency as my company can afford. I fall within the 8-10 million dollars per year slot. In my case, going to a non-full-service agency would have left me with many shortcomings. I do most of my advertising through a different company, but the SEO, pay per click, social media work, ghost writing blogs, and assessing our technology has all been handled very well by Directive.

How did Directive perform from a project management standpoint?

They're focused on getting the job done and it's very easy to get a hold of them. There was never an occasion in which I had to wait for a day or more for a response to an issue.

What distinguishes Directive from other providers?

I can contact their owners directly and they'll get back to me within the hour. The accessibility and customer service they provide are excellent.

Is there anything Directive could have improved or done differently?

They're a small company, which entails some specific challenges. They don't have a multitude of SEO experts that can bring different views to an issue, and they don't have specific expertise with regard to my technology. They're an agency trying to learn embedded systems, which is a market that encompasses a million engineers worldwide, out of a population of seven billion. A bigger company would be more likely to find someone familiar with this space, allowing me to not invest as much time in things like finding the right keywords.

Having worked with a couple of agencies during my thirty year career, I can say that Directive is pretty self-sufficient. My last agency was much needier regarding the time they demanded. With Directive, I can explain something once and they will come back to me with a comprehensive plan.

Initially, I considered them to be expensive. Directive is twice the cost of my previous agency. Now that I've used their services for a while, my mind has changed.
    There has been nothing that Directive promised to execute which they failed to execute exactly as agreed-upon.
    I already did. Directive has a hands-on approach and they can make a smaller company feel, look, and behave with the effectiveness of a larger organization.