Bringing value through innovative IT solutions

Dikonia is a veteran coding, marketing and design agency that has created legendary campaigns, user friendly and effective web applications, innovative, out of the box custom solutions and on track, efficient business process automation software for companies from myriad industries. Our unique proposition lies in our name ‘Dikonia’.

Derived from the Greek word ‘Diakonia’ which stands for ‘working with care’, we bring extensive market desired skills with the ability to convert your goals into project objectives and robust management for uber successful completions.

Mohali, India
  • Dikonia
    E-196, Phase 8B, Industrial Area
    Mohali 140308
    +91 98764 14156

BeautiFinda - Booking Engine

Project Link: www.dikonia.com/beautifinda.php

Project Brief

BeautiFinda, a major beauty services provider in Australia, wanted to have an appointment booking module developed and integrated to their WordPress website. As easy as it may seem but, the model of booking module was to be modeled after Airbnb which was a challenge to overcome keeping in mind limitations of customization of WordPress. Team Dikonia with its skills did the job to perfection and exceeded client's expectations.

Bizzied - Project Management Portal

Project Link: www.dikonia.com/bizzied.php

Project Brief

A well reputed Australian client, came up with an idea to build a complete Project Management portal on the lines of Kanban and with an inspiration from Trello, adding to it some new features of his own. SRS documentation with DFDs, UI building, Agile development methodology was the approach adopted by our team to make the project successful. To maintain security and real time data on the application combination of Laravel and Node.js was chosen for the development.

Miguel's Formal Wear - Fashion Retail Store

Project Link: http://www.dikonia.com/miguelsformalwear.com

Project Brief

One of the leading Men's Fashion Retailer in Virginia Beach, USA wanted a complete revamp of his website and adds more features for his customers to interact with it. Since, it was a major revamp and lots of new functions to be built; we chose the website to be custom built in Laravel. This gave us the edge not only to build custom functionalities easily but also to keep the performance intact and enhance the user experience.

Miguel's Formal Wear today has a very compelling website with modern elements and sleek design which is becoming very popular with his customers and contributes to his business as well.

We are already into building Business Process Applications for them and managing their SEO campaigns.

CityBuzz - GPS based Directory App

Project Brief

CityBuzz is an app for residents and visitors acting as their one stop resource for detailed city information. This app allows to conveniently search for places to eat, shop, drink, relax, get bus and train schedules, emergency numbers. Information regarding weather, banks, government holidays, news, jobs, to-let openings and so much more are made available to the user. CityBuzz is built with a robust backend that manages all the content on the application, as well has manages payments, scheduling, and client listings for operational purposes.

Link to Portfolio: www.dikonia.com/citybuzz.php

EPA - iOS Training App

Project Brief

This training mobile application is part of a larger training system, designed to provide training to groups of people in a 3D immersive environment. The application enables testing of trainees, and is eventually responsible for generating completion certificates for individuals who have completed a training module. Built on the technologies of Laravel and Angular JS, the backend of the application is used for content management, user management and keeping records of progress of trainees. The front end mobile application is designed to a simplistic interface, using which trainees participate in quizzes for every module. Integration of QR codes, and live updates, ensures that trainers and the admin can keep a check on possible cheating, making this system very secure.

Link to Portfolio: www.dikonia.com/epa.php

HR Tools - Human Resource Management Application

Project Brief

Starting with simple stand alone modules to help Aspect Studios, a design company based in Australia, with managing their employees, HR Tools has come a long way to become a complete Human Resource Management Application. HR Tools started off as a way for management to connect with their employees to understand an employee’s expectations, and as a means of communication when it came to evaluating an employee. From there, the application has grown to include survey systems, project management, time management, leave management with three distinct user types of ‘Company’, ‘Manager’ and ‘Employee’. Based off this custom tool developed for Aspect Studio, today one can subscribe to the online SaSS versions of the product on HRtools.com.au

Link to Portfolio: www.dikonia.com/hrtools.php

Eviva - Custom ERP Solution

Project Brief

A custom Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) web application was built for Eviva Ltd., a UK based engineering solutions firm. The application was built to automate, and make accessible various business processes that help the firm keep track of several aspects of day to day running of their operations. This includes billing, human resource allocation, financial estimations and document management. The extensive system was built after thorough discussions to understand the underlying principles and requirements of the business operations undertaken at Eviva Ltd. The outcome is an ERP application that is insightful and efficient, helps with cost cutting, and with identifying of resource allocation.

Link to Portfolio: www.dikonia.com/eviva.php

Turnip - Food Ordering Applications

Project Brief:

A growing startup in Switzerland required Web and Mobile Applications to be built for their business of Food Ordering. There were challenges in the task for the detailed Admin Panel to be built and we were able to meet the requirements successfully. Keeping in mind the customization and scope of the project, CakePHP with MVC advantages was chosen as development technology for the project.

Link to portfolio: www.dikonia.com/turnip.php

Mobile App Development for Chauffer Startup

"When they worked well, the team behaved like a well-oiled machine."

Sept. 2016 - Ongoing

Dikonia builds web, iOS, and Android apps that included GPS tracking, payment processing, data entry, and account management features. They also arrange integrations with mapping and web services.

Melbourne, Australia
Dimitrios Siourthas
Founder, Odigo

Although some miscommunications and delays arose, Dikonia has delivered a technically solid product that is currently in public beta testing. The agency's quick turnaround times, collaborative team dynamic, and reliable deliveries make them perfectly suited to short-term sprints.

I am the co-founder of a startup that is developing a mobile application and online service for the chauffeur industry. We’re starting in Australia and growing from there.

What challenge were you trying to address with Dikonia?

When we began work on the application, we faced lots of uncertainty about our business model, the technical solution and how we’d all be working together. We didn’t know how the solution would hang together technically or what problems we’d need to solve. We needed help transforming our idea into a workable solution.

We have worked with Dikonia from the beginning. In the early days, they provided us with a lot of possibilities so we could identify which problems we should tackle first. After this, we began the development cycle. Their team was heavily involved during the prototyping stage, creating detailed designs and screens based on the direction we provided.

The app serves the transportation industry. It features GPS tracking, payments, notifications, data entry, and account and profile management. There is also an admin portal on the mobile application side through which we can manage our business.

The app is available for iOS and Android. There are numerous third-party integrations.

At peak, Dikonia assigned a team of six or seven individuals. They were split across the platforms—iOS, Android, and web—that we worked on. One team member was responsible for infrastructure, and a lead tied everything together. This seemed to work well.

How did you come to work with Dikonia?

I had worked on a previous project with them three years ago. I was originally introduced to Dikonia by a common acquaintance who had worked with Chhavi Firani [Founder] and her team on a few occasions. We considered several alternatives, but I already had a relationship with the team and knew what their capabilities were.

​​​​​​​What is the status of this engagement?

I reached out to Dikonia around July or August 2016, and we started the project in September. We are currently planning the next build iteration. I’ve been working with them to set up a continuous delivery model, in which we would put an agreement into place and make small change requests to be delivered on-the-fly. We are exploring alternatives to big upfront contracts.

We completed the build phase just after Christmas, and are in public beta at the moment.

How did Dikonia perform from a project management standpoint?

One of the reasons I moved to smaller pieces of work is that Dikonia works well with short-term goals. If we had a single task, there was generally no issue, but the whole project was six months late compared to our initial estimate. Dikonia was not the root cause of this; we also didn’t know the problems we’d be solving.

They have good technical skills, and their development team is proficient in the areas they’re developing for us. When they worked well, the team behaved like a well-oiled machine. I appreciate their keenness to get involved and their ability to turn urgent tasks around quickly. Their availability is an asset as well. If I had an issue, there was always someone online whom I could talk to.

The challenges we faced are always areas for improvement. Going into this project, I knew that communication would be a challenge. Our native languages are different, which can lead to miscommunication. We have now agreed to confirm and reconfirm the meaning of a task before development begins.

If the client approaches Dikonia knowing what they want, their team will provide a solution with no issues. We didn’t know exactly what we wanted and relied on them to provide estimates despite this uncertainty. On their side, estimates tend to be more conservative because they factor in that uncertainty. The issues we faced were centered around how we worked with Dikonia. Chhavi Firani also said that our project was one of the most complex ones he’d ever worked on.

At task level, there are no issues. Longer-term estimates could have been more realistic.
    I would certainly recommend them without reservation, and I have, on many occasions already.
    We faced some challenges, and there is room for improvement. When requirements were understood, they delivered quickly and well.
    I am absolutely willing to refer.

SaaS Development for Boarding Schools

“I’ve been happy with Dikonia because they’ve done what I’ve asked.”

June 2013 - Ongoing

Dikonia used provided specifications to develop a custom, cloud-based software suite that includes an iOS, Android, and accompanying web-based app. The suite allows boarding schools to manage students.

Townsville, Australia
CEO, MyBoardingWizard

Dikonia’s team leaders are adept and understanding, ultimately allowing for a seamless development process. Communication, as a whole, has been efficient, and any issues therein have been overcome with ease. Consistent delivery, responsiveness, and an attractive price are also notable assets.

I’m the CEO of MyBoardingWizard, a cloud-based software for schools.

What challenge were you trying to address with Dikonia?

There is a lot of software for schools to manage their students, but very limited software for boarding schools to do the same. We wanted to develop a software suite that boarding schools could use.

They’ve done all the software development for more than three years. It’s quite an intense software suite because it’s cloud-based for users, but also has phone applications that interface with the web app to allow boarding staff to manage students.

They built a custom system for us. I used Basecamp and PowerPoint as a way to get my ideas across to them, and even though PowerPoint is quite simple, it was useful for our purposes. After they received my detailed PowerPoints, they were able to design the software and its functionality.

The software’s main function allows boarding schools to log in and load all the students onto a database in order to manage them. They can pull up different student reports and load an app onto their iPhone or Android to conduct roll calls. Once the roll call process is finalized, it gets uploaded to a cloud and becomes available in real time to any staff member who has access.

Students and parents can apply for leave, which gets processed for the boarding staff to approve. The software also acts as a student safety device. If the student encounters any problems while on leave, it has all the information on it so they can get help and tell people where they are.

I’ve worked with Chhavi [Founder & Partner, Dikonia], who is my main contact. I’ve also had three people who are all some form of project leaders in different departments as the project has progressed. They are all still there for me to communicate with. Chhavi makes sure everyone knows about the project in case someone leaves. It’s been pretty consistent. We communicate almost daily.

How did you come to work with Dikonia?

I found them on Elance and chose them based on what was written on that website along with their own. They work in U.S. dollars, but their prices are somewhat better than what U.S. companies offer.

I’ve spent around $50,000–$60,000.

We began working together in June 2013, and currently have an ongoing maintenance contract to continue making updates.

I’ve been in the race with competition, but I haven’t been ready to go to market because we’re developing a bit slower than what a well-funded project might take. I’ve been happy with Dikonia because they’ve done what I’ve asked. We’re at the point that if we were ready to go to market today, we would be ahead of our competition.

How did Dikonia perform from a project management standpoint?

They are good. I was new to development, and although we had to adapt as we went, the process was pretty much seamless. They did a good job of working through and understanding what I needed. They were quite responsive.

There was a time when I felt we weren’t connecting fully. I spoke to Chhavi and we were able to sort it out within a week or two. That was the only issue we had. We both go to work and do our thing and communicate with each other, which works for us. We overcame that issue like it was never a problem.

We’ve always been pretty good with deadlines. Occasionally, I might be holding them back because I don’t reply to them in time, which causes things to get pushed back by a few days or a week. In return, I’ve occasionally waited for them for a few days. However, this has never really been a problem because it doesn’t happen very often.

Their staff is good. Any team leader I speak with understands what I want, and it isn’t too often that they have to ask me to elaborate on a problem. We communicate well, so it hasn’t been an issue.

No, I’m quite happy with the work they do. I’m not looking around for anyone else to do the work for me.

Overall Score I’ve stayed with them all these years, and I’m not looking for anyone else.
    There are occasional problems, but they aren’t fully to blame because I also contribute to delays. We meet each others’ deadlines 90% of the time.
    I’m happy with the cost. I chose them initially because they offered a better price than most U.S. vendors.
    They’ve done everything I’ve wanted them to do. I’ve never been unhappy with their delivery.
    I haven’t needed to look anywhere else for development. I’m quite happy with what they’re delivering.

Software Development for Electrical Contractor

“They’re focused on the outcome, and adapt software solutions to meet my needs… They keep my best interests in mind.”

2013 - Ongoing

Dikonia provided a software solution to improve security and tracking capabilities for an electrical contractor. The software manages materials and labor costs for client invoicing.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
David Lee
Director, Eviva Services

Scalable to the need, the new software streamlines projects and associated payments. Its efficiency has allowed for staff reductions and further savings. Dikonia is understanding, and fulfills requests without pushing unnecessary functionality.

Eviva services is an electrical contractor who does wiring for various commercial clients, public buildings, airports, etc. I am the director.

What challenge were you trying to address with Dikonia?

We were using generic software, such as the Microsoft Office suite. As our company grew, we were having trouble tracking data and maintaining its security. We wanted a software package that could be built upon to serve our needs.

The solution they provided does a lot. Its primary function is to do job pricing. We can track materials and labor costs for each project and invoice clients quickly. That means we can bring in money faster. We can also track purchase orders in the system, to include when and where we bought items.

I told Dikonia what I wanted them to do, and they scoped out a packet that they thought would meet my needs. We’ve worked together on a continual basis for the past three years, and the software has completely evolved as we make changes and improvements.

At its largest, the team can grow to eight or ten, but on average we work with about three people.

How did you come to work with Dikonia?

I was looking on Elance, which is now Upwork. I got several bids, but Dikonia came in with the best portfolio and understanding of our needs. They are the third company we’ve used.

We’ve spent around $30,000–$35,000.

We started working together in 2013. They generally do a lot with us, and the work is ongoing.

They’ve helped me reduce my staff to two people, since so much of it functions automatically now. From a personal perspective, everything is much quicker and more effective.

How did Dikonia perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re very good at understanding what I want. I was a little concerned at first that there might be a language barrier, but Chhavi [Founder & Partner, Dikonia], who leads the work, is fantastic. She interprets everything I require, and always has the right idea. If something doesn’t come out perfect the first time, she’ll go back and get it to work the way we want. Most of our communication is through Basecamp and Skype.

They’re very understanding, and listen to what I want. They’re focused on the outcome, and adapt software solutions to meet my needs, which is quite unique. They’re not pushy, and don’t try to sell things I don’t need. They keep my best interests in mind, and are very good at working through issues. If something doesn’t work the way you want, they will work with you until it does. They’re always very open and honest.

The only problems just come down to geography. Sometimes it’s difficult to have a Skype meeting because of the time difference. Other than that, there are no real issues.

Overall Score They’re a fantastic team to work with. They have very good language skills, and are more understanding than some of the people I work with in England.
    Sometimes unforeseen software issues add time, and we’ve adjusted some of our deadlines.
    They were competitive, fair, and reasonable. They offer flexible payment plans, depending on the length of the project.
    Their service is good. They always answer questions honestly and within a reasonable time. I always know what I’m getting.
    I’m confident in what they can do, and have referred people to them a couple of times.

Web Development for Restaurant

"They are pretty good. They are very responsive to any feedback and requests."

Feb. 2017 - Ongoing

Dikonia designed and developed a website that processes users’ orders and prints them in restaurants. They are now building an in-house project management software.

New York
Brian Chan
Manager, Eny Media

Although communication can sometimes be a challenge, Dikonia delivers satisfactory work and responds well to feedback. Time zones caused occasional difficulties, but there were no other areas for improvement.

Eny Media is a small web design company that designs websites for restaurants. I’m the manager.

What challenge were you trying to address with Dikonia?

It’s easier for me to hire freelancers to help with the projects.

They designed and developed a website for one of my customer’s restaurants. The website takes and processes orders for users. When a user signs up on the website, they can place their order and it will print out on their printer. The website is built using PHP and MySQL.

They are currently designing and developing our in-house management software. It’s a pretty simple project. That is also based on PHP.

How many resources have been assigned to your project?

There were between four and five resources assigned to my project. I was only in contact with the project manager.

How did you come to work with Dikonia?

I found them on Upwork. I chose a company based on first come, first served. I pick whoever responds first to my messages to see if they’re timely. I talked to them and looked at their previous projects.

How much have you invested with Dikonia?

I’ve spent between $30,000 and $40,000.

I started working with them in February 2017, and the work is ongoing.

We don’t keep track of any metrics. They’ve done pretty good. There are times where there is miscommunication. If I send an email and they don’t understand the project, we do demos and video conference calls to point out what we need. We are not in the same location so we have to do the conference calls to resolve the misunderstandings. We have our QA team that tests the software. Anytime we have a problem, we contact Dikonia and they address it pretty quick.

How did Dikonia perform from a project management standpoint?

They are pretty good. They are very responsive to any feedback and requests.

What did you find most impressive about Dikonia?

They are pretty responsive.

Are there any areas Dikonia could improve?

There are in a different time zone so I need to call them at midnight sometimes. I’ve only done two projects with them, so I don’t know of anything they can improve.

My schedule is very flexible. They are meeting deadlines.
    It is cost effective for us so that we don’t need an employee in-house.
    Things I ask them to do, they take care of for me.

Web Development for Architecture Company

"They are responsive, understanding, and reasonable in commercial terms."

Oct. 2014 - Ongoing

Dikonia designed and developed custom HR and project management software that was cloud-based. The platform streamlines HR functions and allows greater connectivity across the company.

Australia
Former CEO, Architecture Company

When project briefs were sloppy, Dikonia delivered off-track work, but when the briefs were specific, they delivered perfectly. At first, the team failed to deliver fully tested code, but the implementation of a test bed server solved the problem. They deliver on time and take feedback well.

We are landscape architects and urban designers, and we also incorporate wayfinding and signage. So, we’re a consulting firm of around 165 people in five geographic locations.

What challenge were you trying to address with Dikonia?

We had a need to better manage our HR and project management processes. We wanted a web-based platform that would improve transparency and efficiency or reporting and provide a simple to use platform.

We reached out to a partner because the cost of off-the-shelf products was exceptionally expensive, and no one platform could fill both our growing HR and project management needs.

We determined that the most effective solution for us would be to do something in-house, for both addressing our needs and being more cost-effective. We have basically a cloud-based solution that we’ve been working on for about four years with Dikonia. They implement everything we need behind the scenes. We tell them what we need done or features we need incorporated based on our own experiences and feedback we have from our staff.

We developed an in-house piece of cloud-based software that allows us to better interact and manage our day-to-day HR needs. It doesn’t remove the need to meet with people, but it streamlines the process in HR management, makes it more transparent in terms of visibility up the line to managers, supervisors, and even company directors if they choose. On the other side of that, it empowers our people by providing individuals and team leaders with visual transparency about their projects, how their financials are operating on each project, how teams are operating in terms of usability, availability, and how each project is performing financially. That then rolls up to each individual geographic location for each of our directors.

It’s a multi-scaled tool that provides a high degree of user functionality. We’re currently completing what we hope will be the last major development of that platform, which is about to start next July. We’re currently preparing the brief for that.

We wanted to create a piece of software that no one had to read a manual to use. We knew that, if you had to read a manual, it’s probably going to fail. Users can go on the platform and work it out without a lot of training, although we do have an induction process. It is very simple and intuitive to use. It does a lot of things behind the scenes that are semi-automatic. When somebody enters data into the HR platform, or a manager responds, automatic notifications can be set up to be sent by email to the right people. People are aware of things happening in the business that should happen, so it takes away a lot of the pain of calendar reminders and checking up on things.

On the other side, it just gives us an ability to actually see information that we previously couldn’t at our fingertips. We can run a multiple of reports on clients, projects, individual and team performance with the click of a button. It does a lot of things we used to try to do in Excel, but not very well, as we grew. It also makes sure that, across a company that’s spread into five physical locations, all the information we get back at head office is always consistent. It’s really about transparency and consistency.

For our very first release of the software, Dikonia did the design. Subsequently, we modified that and took it to a slightly more of a user experience with a graphical interface. It looks like what you’d expect software to look like today. Our first release four years ago was very simple. It was still very functional, but it didn’t have the kind of interface we have today. I believe it just uses PHP and MySQL.

We have some slight latency issues with some of the data that’s presented graphically, as it’s pulling a lot of data off the cloud and trying to generate graphs and image-based data. We’re looking at maybe converting it to a different platform, and the developers told us in the very beginning that might be needed if it got to a scale where the database was very large. After several years of use, we have quite a large database.

The platform has API interfaces so we can get data straight out form our platform to our accounting software. Dikonia also developed mobile apps for various components of the software that we have not launched yet. It’s not just a desktop interface. Although the mobile apps are not actually launched, you can actually get the Android app, but not the Apple one yet.

How did you come to work with Dikonia?

We located them online. They were open and very easy to talk to and collaborative. They understood our needs.

How much have you invested with Dikonia?

We've invested approximately $40,000 USD to date.

We began working together in October of 2014, and the relationship is ongoing.

We are still evolving the project. It is a work in progress, but it's implemented fully across our organization. It is widely accepted by the younger staff. Less well accepted by older staff but that is a generational issue, not related to the software.

We implemented two major fully integrated systems “for dummies” that has achieved quite wide take up across a geographically spread organization with in excess of 150 people.

How did Dikonia perform from a project management standpoint?

We’re quite happy with what they do. They deliver usually on time, and sometimes they’re ahead of schedule when we have major upgrades. We’re fine-tuning now, so for most of the modifications or changes, they’re able to implement and get it right the first time. Sometimes the communication from us isn’t fully clear, or they misunderstand our meaning. I think that happens because we’ve been working together for three years, and each party knows the other quite well, so we don’t go into lengthy briefing like we used to.

For example, if we have a major upgrade or a major chunk of work, we will prepare a proper brief, they will respond to that, so we know exactly what we’re going to get at the end. We’ll know how long each piece of work takes, and together we will prioritize delivery. It will roll out very smoothly on a test server. So, on that front, we’re very happy and we think they’re excellent. When we get it sloppy, because it’s an internal project, it probably doesn’t have the same rigor that we would apply to a client-based project. That’s when we find we get problems, because we’ve been sloppy. We’ve sent off an email without a quick fix. We haven’t really specified exactly what we wanted, and we don’t get back what we want.

I think our learning has been that, provided our briefing is very clear and there’s an interrogation of that to ensure understanding on all sides, they’re excellent. If we fly a little off-the-hip and have a quick update, it doesn’t always come out as we expect.

They have requested a number of tools, but I can’t remember the names. They’re basically online tools that people use for developing software. However, we run and operate the bug fixes by an Excel spreadsheet, so it’s like a ticketing sheet, which is very simple. The developer did offer a number of platforms, but we had already come so far down the track when this was talked about that we were really just doing incremental upgrades and development. The bulk of the stuff behind the scenes had already been done.

What did you find most impressive about Dikonia?

They are responsive, understanding, and reasonable in commercial terms. They respond positively to critique.

Are there any areas Dikonia could improve?

​​​​​​At times, we have found that their internal testing and proofing could be improved. We now always upgrade or roll out major new changes to a test bed server and run this for a few weeks to a month before updating to our live server. This has ironed out software bugs. We basically run the testing and have a period of bug fixes, which Dikonia undertake at no charge.

Overall Score No one’s perfect. In an ideal world, I would love not needing to jump into emails when we’re doing major upgrades and exert some pressure.
    When we have a major change done and things don’t quite work out right, it delays the delivery to our end stakeholders. We find that they’re great 90% to 95% on the time, but 5% or 10% of the time, we don’t understand why it’s taking so long.
    They’re very good to work with on that front. If we had an off-the-shelf product for the past three years, we would have spent 5 times the amount we spent with a developer.
    I think they’re excellent, but where they fall over is on those things that we’re sloppy on ourselves.
    I’ve never worked with another developer. I give them a 5 simply because we’re very happy with their service, the value for money, and the quality.