Food Packaging Design, Graphic Design, Web Design

We take ideas to market by delivering: strategy, brand voice, identity, logo design, graphic design, web design, packaging and food packaging design for: restaurants | food | beverage | confectionery | food trucks | health & beauty | cosmetics | wine & spirits | fashion & lifestyle | technology | pets | people | consumer products

Set your brand apart.

Chicago, IL
  • Design Womb San Francisco, CA 94131

California Olive Ranch, Smyth & The Loyalist, Jaali Bean, Curry Up Now, Falasophy Food Truck, Little Belgians, Dipnotics, Mt. Comfort Coffee, Flying Goat Coffee, Green Girl Bakeshop, Beachy Cream Ice Cream, Spice Mama, Whistle, Boo Coo Roux, El Pollo Submarine, Mortar & Pestle Bar/Resturant,  Betwix Wines, Ripple Coffee Roasters, Jules & Esther Skincare, The Bumblebee, Style Check-In, Pantry House, Drums & Crumbs, San Francisco Cooking School, Johnny Doughnuts

Design for Beverage Company

"Without the packaging made by Design Womb, I don't know if we would have been as successful."

June 2016 - Ongoing

Design Womb provided branding and packaging. They also created point-of-sale marketing materials and the client’s website design. The engagement is expected to continue in the coming year.

Owner, Beverage Company

Design Womb has met all deliverables on time, and their work has allowed the client to resonate with their target demographic and key partners. They could improve by having in-person meetings and with more thoroughness in their work, but overall the client is satisfied with their quality.

We make organic alcoholic beverages. Our company is almost one year old, and we have 2 full-time employees, as well as 5 contractors.

I am the owner of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Design Womb?

We needed help creating a brand, including packaging and graphics. This would be an ongoing effort as we grew and expanded.

Design Womb has helped us create our branding and packaging, including point-of-sale marketing materials, labels, large-format boxes and website design. Specifically, Design Womb created 3 TTB-compliant labels, a 4-pack box, a case pack, a website, as well as a brand name and voice.

I worked on product development prior to starting the company, so I had a good idea of what the product should be. We offered some ideas of what we liked and didn't like, but everything was generic. Design Womb helped us choose a direction and to figure out what worked and what didn't.

How did you come to work with Design Womb?

We looked online for different ad agencies in the Chicago area which handled design. We interviewed Design Womb's principal and looked at their previous work. We liked what we saw of Design Womb’s experience. Design Womb seemed responsive and reasonably priced, compared to other options, placing somewhere in the middle among the companies we reviewed.

The cost of Design Womb's work has been between $50,000 and $60,000 so far. We plan to spend another $50,000 to $100,000 with them in the next year.

We started working with Design Womb in June 2016, and we have expanded our work since then. The work is ongoing.

We've taken what Design Womb has given us and approached various retailers and distributors in the US. The work has resonated very well with female consumers, which is our target demographic. We've seen a lot of success in getting retailers to buy into our products and propositions, which has come fairly quickly for a startup. We're looking to have a few million dollars in profit this year, based on how many stores we've been able to get into. A part of this is the product that people are tasting, but also the branding and packaging. Without the packaging made by Design Womb, I don't know if we would have been as successful.

We gave Design Womb inspiration and input into things we like and don't like, including the packaging which other people had done, looking at color schemes, formats, layouts, and so on. She incorporated these together and did 5-6 rounds of revisions before we came to a point that we were happy with. I'm happy with how the relationship worked, and we wouldn't have continued to hire Design Womb for other tasks otherwise.

How did Design Womb perform from a project management standpoint?

Design Womb has used Basecamp, which is a great way to get everyone on the same page, but I think that face-to-face meetings are lacking. I'm not a proponent of meeting for the sake of it, but I do think that some things can be covered much more effectively in-person or over the phone, rather than by email. There would be a lot less back-and-forth, especially when it comes to the legal complications associated with alcoholic beverages. We have to report to a few different government departments, as well as the state. It's usually easier to get on a phone call and have everyone talk things through than it is to write things out on email. Overall, though, Design Womb has managed projects well and delivered on-time.

What distinguishes Design Womb from other providers?

Most marketing agencies have their own approach to making graphics and branding, and the topic is opinion-based. I find that Design Womb has done a good job with our material.

Is there anything Design Womb could have improved or done differently?

While Design Womb has done a great job, certain aspects of the naming process for the brand could have been more thorough. At times certain names, taglines, and phrases were trademarked which could have easily been avoided through more in-depth research.

Design Womb has never been late, and turned things around fairly quickly.
    I believe that we've received competitive prices from Design Womb, but I'm not sure what other agencies charge.
    There were a few things that could have been improved, but they were small issues which, although frustrating, didn't impact the overall project.
    For the most part, I haven't had any issues with the work done by Design Womb, but there are some things which would use improvement.

Branding and Logo Design for Startup Food Company

"Design Womb's work has helped me get my foot in the door within my market."

2015 - Ongoing

Design Womb offered a range of services including branding, logo design, and website design and development to provide an integrated experience for customers. They also supported in packaging design for five products.

Terrina Wong
Owner, Dipnotics

The updated brand and logo have received positive feedback from customers and helped to grow the client’s business. Design Womb was complimented on their communication despite time differences. Design Womb was able to work with the client’s ideas while still bringing new ideas to the table.

I am the owner of Dipnotics. We offer vegan dips, including cheesy cashew, spicy, and other flavors. Our audience is made up of people who want to eat clean and don't mind paying a premium for a simple product with whole ingredients instead of processed chemicals. These can be yoga and fitness enthusiasts or just regular people who are interested in the quality of what they eat. We officially started our products 3 to 4 months ago. The company is made up of my husband and myself.

What challenge were you trying to address with Design Womb?

We were looking to revamp our brand identity and logo. We wanted to have an integrated experience and create both branding and labeling for our 5 products.

Design Womb handled our brand voice, logo design, website design, and website development. They also managed photo shoots for our products and created a brand manifesto for copyrighting. I initially intended to only do a rebranding, but, as our relationship progressed, I needed to have a full package of services for our company.

How did you come to work with Design Womb?

I interviewed several design companies that I found through Internet searches. I looked at their portfolios and some of their previous products. I liked the breadth of Design Womb's work and the thoroughness of the application process.

How much have you invested with Design Womb?

I prefer to keep this confidential.

We started working with Design Womb in 2015. The work has been completed but we're looking to launch a few new flavors in 2017, so our relationship with Design Womb will continue.

I've received comments from multiple stakeholders on how well-developed and professional my packaging is. Clients tend to think that we've been in business for longer than we actually have because of how it looks. People have come up to me at farmers' markets and tastings, telling us specifically how much they like our design and labeling. Design Womb's work has helped me get my foot in the door within my market.

How did Design Womb perform from a project management standpoint?

Design Womb uses Basecamp, which I've really liked. It documents all of our conversations and allows us to respond either via email or through the tool itself. It is available online and as a mobile app. Although we haven't had many live conversations and there is a time difference between our locations, we have been able to keep in touch using Basecamp. I've had a few delays of my own, but we were good at keeping deadlines.

What did you find most impressive about Design Womb?

Design Womb's designs are very clean. The branding we've received is very strong in terms of messaging, but also very simple. There was a very good balance of ideas. Design Womb offered us various options, allowing us to name what we liked about each one and come to an agreement.

Are there any areas Design Womb could improve?

Design Womb could improve in terms of post-launch support.

Overall Score I've been very happy working with Design Womb. I appreciate their help and look forward to working with them again
    It can be hard to write big checks in the beginning. After I saw the results, I understood the value for my money.
    I've been very happy with all of my work from Design Womb.
    I've referred Design Womb to several people already.

Logo and Packaging for Food Company

"Design Womb's designer listens to what we want, but also adds her own style."

July 2015 - Ongoing

Design Womb worked with a client to update their packaging design and logo without losing the original elements that were already recognizable. The client has used Design Womb for multiple projects.

Oroville, California
Grace Rusch
Marketing Manager, California Olive Ranch

The updated packaging and logo have received rave reviews from customers and the client’s team, and there has been an increase in sales since its launch. Design Womb uses Basecamp to collaborate, and the client is appreciative of the organization and communication that it supports.

I am the marketing manager of California Olive Ranch, an online retailer of olive oil products. My job consists of anything consumer-facing—social media, our website, advertisements, and new product development. We have around 120 employees.

What challenge were you trying to address with Design Womb?

We were looking to refresh our packaging design. However, we wanted to keep what was working with our current design since it was already well-known. Consumer research showed that our design was a bit outdated and that there was some confusion around the imagery it used.

Design Womb was in charge of helping us design a new logo and refreshing our artwork. We have done a few other projects with Design Womb for our products. They’ve helped us update the look and feel of our everyday and higher-end lines. Design Womb also helped design an advertisement to be displayed on store shelves. We're tentatively starting a food truck project with Design Womb.

How did you come to work with Design Womb?

I was tasked with finding a designer, so I did a Google search for agencies in San Francisco. We had worked with a company from another part of the country but found it difficult to fly back-and-forth for revisions. While Design Womb had recently moved to Chicago, we decided to work with them anyway. The main reason for choosing Design Womb was their ability to create unique and dynamic logos. This is the most important piece when taking a recognizable logo and recrafting it without losing the elements that people recognize. We had a vision for what we wanted and Design Womb had some great examples on the company website for how we could achieve our goal.

How much have you invested with Design Womb?

We have worked on different projects with Design Womb, each one with a different proposal. The total cost of our projects with Design Womb has been between $10,000 and $50,000. Design Womb has given us reasonable pricing. If we went beyond what was written in the original scope, Design Womb let us know and worked with us around the billing.

We started working with Design Womb in 2015, and the collaboration is ongoing.

Going into a redesign for a logo that people are already familiar with is hard. We expected many clients to complain about our new packaging, but they've actually liked it. We received many rave reviews, both externally, on social media, and internally, within our team. We've seen an increase in our base sales since the packaging launched in the spring of 2016.

How did Design Womb perform from a project management standpoint?

Design Womb is using Basecamp for our work. It's a good way to organize our tasks and work remotely. The tool keeps all of our work in one place, making it easy to set timelines. When we were more flexible with the timeline, we saw a few delays, but project management is also our responsibility. Communication is recorded, so there isn't any confusion around what is happening. Calling Design Womb at the beginning of projects and ironing out design queues has worked well for us.

What did you find most impressive about Design Womb?

I've worked with other designers in the past. After giving them an idea, we either received back exactly what we specified, with no creativity put in, or received an interpretation made without really listening to what we wanted. Design Womb's principal was very easy to work with. During our initial conversations, she showed great enthusiasm and shared our vision for the design. She is able to give us many different designs to choose from and she has a lot of enthusiasm for our work. By the time we are shown the second or third round of designs, we will have a wide range of options. Design Womb's designer listens to what we want but also adds her own style.

Are there any areas Design Womb could improve?

Design Womb has a small team, so timelines can be missed on occasion.

Overall Score Design Womb's principal is a fun, pleasant person to work with. The quality of the product is fantastic.
    Design Womb has met deadlines when we were on a tight schedule.
    We were given a myriad of options for our money, so we were always satisfied with the results.
    I am thrilled with all the work done by Design Womb and I would continue to use them again.