Agile Software Development done right!

At Def Method, we feel just as comfortable hanging out in the business world as we do coding—and that means you get technical solutions that deliver results. Our experienced team of engineers and senior developers take a seasoned, full-service approach to Rails and mobile application development, creating end-to-end, one-on-one and made-to-order solutions.

New York, NY
  • 336 W 37th St. Suite #480
    New York, NY 10018

MoMa, Friends of the High Line, XO Group, CNYCN, Corcoran, Casper, Datapipe

Development for a Legal Software Platform

“I could tell the Def Method team was committed to helping me reach my goals.”

Feb. 2018 - Ongoing

After an introductory session to finalize designs, Def Method built an MVP version of a platform. As they continue to develop the software, they’re also helping with marketing efforts and business decisions.

Angelo Genova
Founder, Mentorflo

So far, all of Def Method’s technical work has been stable and high-quality. The team stands out for their attention to detail, responsiveness, and dedication. They routinely offer cost-effective solutions to improve the product and the business. Overall, they’re a valuable resource.

I’m the founder and primary product manager at Mentorflo. We’re a startup that creates software to improve operational efficiency for law firms and corporations.

What challenge were you trying to address with Def Method?

We wanted to create an MVP version of our software that we could share with clients, allowing them to play with the system outside of our controlled demonstrations. Internally, we’d already developed wireframes, a working prototype, and an InVision deck, so we needed a vendor to build out the platform.

We started with a brainstorming session. We shared all of the design work we’d done internally with Def Method, then worked with them to confirm our UX/UI ideas, establish goals, and set priorities. We took their feedback and eventually settled on a final design, and then they built out the MVP. Once it was finished, we showed the platform to potential clients, and the Def Method team is working to incorporate their feedback. They’re currently revamping the architecture and building more layers to the software.

Def Method’s role goes beyond development assistance. Their team helped us launch the product on the market. They established, and continue to help us navigate, relationships with other vendors. They created content to support both our marketing and onboarding efforts, building a collection of style guides and tutorials. We look to the Def Method team for any of our development and branding needs. Basically, they act as a sounding board for all of our questions.

I’m in contact with a total of about seven people, including a project manager. I’m not sure how many team members work behind the scenes.

How did you come to work with Def Method?

We looked into several service providers in New York. I’d previously worked with a number of different vendors for specific stages of our business growth, so I considered a few of those in addition to other recommendations. I met with Def Method, and they were fantastic. They seemed perfectly suited for what we wanted to do.

So far, we’ve spent approximately $50,000.

We started working together in February 2018, and it’s an ongoing project.

We’ve just recently released the MVP, and there haven’t been any issues or bugs so far. Def Method’s work is very stable—it’s withstood both internal and user testing.

Having worked with several different agencies, Def Method stands out for the quality of their guidance and advice regarding important business decisions. They’re very aware of our budget restraints and propose cost-effective solutions that accomplish our goals. Often, their alternative ideas are much better than our original plans.

How did Def Method perform from a project management standpoint?

Their team is very responsive. I can expect prompt replies at any time of the day. We have weekly standups while were in the development phase of a project, but they routinely update me on their progress all the time.

Their team’s management is on top of every aspect of the project, and they’re very trustworthy. They really take the time to understand our goals and guide us in the right direction. Additionally, the managers make sure every team member prioritizes overarching project goals, rather than simply completing their specific tasks. Their assistance has not only been helpful from a development standpoint but also a business perspective.

Def Method has really taken the time to understand what we want to accomplish, so I trust their business guidance. They’re a much more valuable partner than some of the more engineering-focused or design-centric shops. Their team has a good level of technical skill, but they’re also capable of providing valuable business insight. I could tell the Def Method team was committed to helping me reach my goals.

No, I can’t think of anything.

I recommend clients research and speak with a variety of development shops, then narrow their choice according to their specific needs. In my experience, Def Method helped me turn an idea that I’d been working on for years into something better than I could have imagined. Their empathy and business acumen are two of their key strengths.

App Dev for Wearable Health Tech Company

“The ease of communication and quality of work made Def Method especially valuable.”

Jan. - April 2017

Def Method developed native Android and iOS apps for a wearable health device company. They created the product based on existing designs and provide assistance for updates and bugs.

CEO, Wearable Health Tech Company

The apps were successfully launched the App Store and met all internal expectations. Users have had no issues with the platforms. As a team, Def Method made the collaboration effortless through efficient interactions and deep industry expertise.

I’m the CEO and co-founder of a wearable medical device company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Def Method?

We hired Def Method to help us develop our mobile apps for both iOS and Android devices.

Our in-house team provided the designs for the mock-ups and screens to Def Method. They used their team of mobile developers to create two separate apps for iOS and Android, respectively. They submitted everything to us for testing and helped us launch to the App Store.

They provided a project manager, a project developer, and two iOS and two Android developers.

How did you come to work with Def Method?

We compiled several quotes from companies we found online. We used a specific mailing list of founders primarily based in New York and one member recommended Def Method for the project.

We’ve spent under $80,000 on the project.

We worked together from January–April 2017 on the bulk of the project. They still provide service for small feature additions and updates when needed.

The app has functioned perfectly for our users. Def Method developed it to match the expectations we set.

How did Def Method perform from a project management standpoint?

They were easy to work with. The project manager handled bi-weekly check-ins, but we also had regular communication with the developers. The lead kept the project on track and helped us adhere to timelines and requirements. Their team was included in our work Slack channels so they could ask for clarifications whenever.

The ease of communication and quality of work made Def Method especially valuable. They ran a well-oiled operation and we had no complaints. Though they weren’t the least expensive option, the final product was worth it.

Because we had our own in-house design team and communication channels, we can’t speak to how effective Def Method would be in other situations. However, for us, the process worked perfectly.

Prototyping and Product Design for an AI Company

From discovery and design iterations through an MVP build, Def Method developed a cloud-based web and mobile application prototype. Functionally, AI-driven data aggregation sorts text and audio categorically.

Brooklyn, New York
John Snyder
Founder and CEO, Agnes Intelligence

Def Method leveraged best-in-class development acumen coupled with innovative design thinking flawlessly encapsulate the concept in the deliverable. Their self-driven work ethic is unmatched. Personalized customer service includes an open line of dialogue and direct interaction with the founder.

I'm the founder and CEO of Agnes intelligence, which is an artificial intelligence company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Def Method?

We hired Def Method to create the initial design and prototype for our product.

During the product discovery, they helped us figure out exactly what we were building. Once they formulated the MVP, they built out the actual prototype. I knew that I wanted to use a specific concept-clustering algorithm that works on text or spoken word. It takes a massive pile of unstructured data, whether that's emails or phone calls, and clusters the results by the concept. It enables users to perform sophisticated data operations and simplifies the process of document review for professionals like lawyers.

Using the design thinking process, we met together in the same room for three days with Post-It notes. Def Method is very skilled at drawing out a founder's exact vision and packaging it in a way that can be built and demonstrated. I've worked with numerous vendors, and Def Method is far and away the best in this space.

As a cloud-based web application, our product will include both a mobile and a desktop application version. The deliverable they produced during this engagement was a skinny prototype. At the moment we're still in the development stage. Once I have the funding, I'll hire them to complete much more of the process.

Back when we were building the prototype, we worked with three engineers from the team. We had one main point of contact, but regarding customer service, Joe (Founder, Def Method) is very hands on. As a customer, I always felt comfortable calling his cell phone and could get right in touch with the founder if I needed. I really appreciated this element, which not all companies offer.

How did you come to work with Def Method?

One of my professional contacts referred me to Def Method.

We have a hybrid cash-equity deal. The value of their services equals about $50,000–$75,000.

Our engagement began in January 2018. We’ve been working together for about three months so far. Once we get the necessary funding, we’ll continue working with Def Method. We have a whole Gantt chart of tasks we want them to handle, and I have every confidence in their team to deliver.

Our process made it very easy to assess their performance. During the multi-day product discovery process, Def Method got everyone on board with the exact product we were to build. They produced a Gantt chart and a cost estimate for the entire project. Ultimately, they delivered everything on time. To me, that's the ultimate metric of success.

Def Method has been much more than just a prototype builder or designer. They're a true partner in building a product that's not just an innovation, but a complete category changer.

How did Def Method perform from a project management standpoint?

Concerning communication, using a third-party video chat was entirely sufficient. Holding daily standups via video calls ensured accountability.  Def Method's proactive approach distinguishes them from the competition. I never had to chase them down to make sure they were doing their job. Their team set up our meetings, and they showed up every morning to show us what they were doing. From a founder's perspective, that is exactly ideal.

Two things stand out to me. I'm working on cutting-edge, patent-pending algorithms that have never been done before. My challenging project demands an extremely smart team, and Def Method’s extremely high-quality engineers are fully up to the task. They have the in-house expertise and capabilities to perform extremely high-end data science.

Secondly, they offer impressive and proactive customer service. They're transparent about what clients will receive from their work and when they will complete it. I always know where we stand.

I don't have any complaints.

I would advise future clients to come prepared to the first meeting. Def Method is a team of serious people. I would imagine that they expect their clients to be involved and buy into the program. Since that's what I want to do, I consider it a positive.

Overall Score More than just contractors, they've been partners in our venture. My company wouldn't have worked if Def Method wasn't as good as they are.
    They probably should charge more, to be honest.
    They gave me exactly what I wanted.
    I've done so at least a dozen times already.

App Dev & Design for Startup

"Def Method seemed truly invested in our success and in delivering high-quality products and services."

July - Oct. 2018

Def Method developed an MVP of a web and mobile application for a startup. Using pre-existing wireframes and user stories, they led a team of third-party developers and provided user testing and validation.

Martha Farrell
Co-Founder, The Scuttle

The MVP exceeded expectations, and external stakeholders praised its transparent code. Def Method’s openness, honesty, and flexibility made the collaboration seamless. The team provided regular updates, responded quickly to any inquiries, and explained technical terms throughout the process.

I’m the co-founder of The Scuttle, an emerging app company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Def Method?

We engaged Def Method to help develop an MVP of our app for iOS and the web.

We had already written user stories and a wireframe for the web app. Julia (Head of Strategy & Growth, Def Method) spent two days leading a focus group to narrow down our vision of the app. Once we had a scope, she recommended a team of offshore developers to develop code for our MVP. She then served as project manager of that development team. Def Method later helped with validating our app and testing it with users.

I worked primarily with Julia. I also met with Joe (President/Partnership Director, Def Method). If I ever had a question, I could call him and receive a response quickly.

How did you come to work with Def Method?

We were looking for a CTO at first, but the search was proving difficult. A friend referred Julia to me because she had founded her own app as well. I asked her for advice on finding CTOs, and she then offered Def Method’s services. I was hesitant about working with an agency—we had a bad experience with a previous—but Def Method made us feel safe and offered an open-ended contract.

We worked together from July–October 2018.

Def Method delivered a rough MVP that met our requirements. During development, we brought in an outside consultant to check over the developers’ code and make sure it met our standards for quality and documentation. He was particularly impressed with their code’s clarity and transparency. Unfortunately, due to external circumstances, we’ve pressed pause on our MVP to do more user testing and validation. Def Method still supports us as needed. When I needed help with a pitch deck to pitch to angel investors, they recommended another team to help me.

How did Def Method perform from a project management standpoint?

Julia kept the project organized and remained calm under pressure. She managed several projects at once in addition to ours, but she always remembered our project’s details. She also made working with an offshore development team as seamless as possible, accommodating time zone differences and languages barriers. The Def Method team was flexible in including our third-party consultant as external oversight. We had 15-minute check-ins every day and an hour-long meeting every Friday. We communicated in person and over the phone, and we kept track of progress through Pivotal Tracker.

Def Method seemed truly invested in our success and in delivering high-quality products and services. We appreciated their open-ended contract, their honesty and transparency, and their continued support after our partnership ended. The team also taught us terminology and the background knowledge we needed so we could understand how they built our product.

We would love if they had another person as competent and helpful as Julia to help her workload. However, Def Method is young and has time to build out their team.

Overall Score I have nothing but positive things to say about Def Method.

Ruby on Rails Dev for Crowd-Sourcing Platform

"Def Method has assembled a team of best-in-class talent. I consider them a co-founder of our company."

Oct. 2015 - Sept. 2016

Def Method completed full stack development of a crowdsourcing platform tailored to the fashion industry. Retailers can access data analytics generated from consumers' frontend engagement with their products.

David Lamer
CEO, Preeline

Built for a fraction of the cost of comparable platforms, the innovative site received enthusiastically positive feedback from consumers and major brand executives alike. Responsive communication and synergizing both parties' respective areas of expertise fostered a successful ongoing partnership.

I'm the CEO of Preeline, a crowdsourcing platform for the fashion industry.

What challenge were you trying to address with Def Method?

The type of platform we wanted to develop really hadn't existed at the time. It collects, organizes, and applies data in a useful way for merchandising and buying teams at both brand and retail companies. Using similar functions as Tinder and Pinterest, users can "love" or "hate" product images.

Def Method executed the entire development stage of our product. I created the outline and architecture with my team. We laid out ideas for the site's UX, functionality, banners, images, engagement levels, and analytics. Since I work in the fashion industry, my background involves design and visuals. I often drew on paper or used keynote presentations to show the development team my concept for the look and feel. We worked collaboratively, synthesizing our design resources and their development expertise. They gave insight into maximizing data analytics tools and offered cutting-edge alternatives to my requests for maps and pie charts. As a Ruby on Rails expert, Def Method was a big proponent of using that technology. They thought it would work well for our platform and we certainly don't disagree.

The platform appealingly packages consumer-generated data, making it easy to comprehend. The site is engaging and accessible for frontend users, who are one set of our stakeholders. Consumers engage with featured products on the frontend of the system. As they browse, they provide feedback about their preferences. Clear backend graphics offer brand and retail management teams useful insight. Executive level clients can instantly access the results attributed to their brand or product profiles.

We engage with a variable number of resources depending on the project at hand. Over the years, we've typically worked with 3-5 people at a time. We keep a small, tight team at their suggestion. As a smaller company, that seems to work best for us. More recently, 1-2 resources have been involved since the platform has successfully been built and launched.

How did you come to work with Def Method?

While looking for developers, we initially asked entrepreneurs who'd developed similar sites for their recommendations. We narrowed our original list of 8-10 vendors down to 3 options. Def Method was the clear frontrunner. They were clearly a team that would give this project their best effort. I had no doubt about their dedication, so it was an easy decision. We ruled out the very large development houses based on the expense structure. Those providers offered an extensive design process we didn't need. Joe Leo [President, Def Method] understood we already had the design aspect taken care of. Our complementary design and development skill sets have made for a great partnership.

We've invested less than half a million dollars total in the platform. For comparison, we've built a far a better product at that price point than a competitive platform with an investment of $23 million.

Our ongoing partnership started in October 2015. They began working shortly after we laid out the scope. Our beta site was up and running within 2-3 months, and we completed this project in September 2016. Since the launch, we've made adaptations as needed. New clients join at various times, which creates a fluctuating level of complexity within our platform. We'll continue to engage with Def Methods indefinitely. I consider them our developer of choice.

Def Methods deserves congratulations for producing a highly capable platform that's best in class. They built exactly what we were looking for and I couldn't be happier with the deliverable. Making it highly engaging for users is easier said than done, and they did a great job. Impressively, they built it for a fraction of the price most vendors would have charged. Typical feedback from our consumer frontend users has been along the lines of "wow, this is awesome!" That level of enthusiasm is the exact response I'd aimed to elicit. We just conducted a launch with a five-billion-dollar apparel brand this week. They could not have been more excited about the platform, analytics, and data sets the platform instantly provides. From their standpoint, our product is basically unprecedented. It's been awesome.

How did Def Method perform from a project management standpoint?

I was excited to see how well the programmers work with my staff. They're a talented, productive, and nimble team. This process could have gone extremely poorly, but it was flawless from the very start. There aren't needless layers of hierarchy like project managers. We're in direct contact with the resources who actually perform the work. All the developers are skilled, supportive, and good listeners.

My co-founder primarily works with the engineers. She does a great job communicating our needs. I typically communicate via text and e-mail based on personal preference. My internal team uses other tools, but the dialogue is mostly based on phone calls, meeting in person, and Google Meetups. They're always extremely responsive and are available whenever we need them.

Def Method has assembled a team of best-in-class talent. They've been an excellent partner and I consider them a co-founder of our company. I credit and respect Joe Leo and his fantastic team for helping us be as productive, effective, and efficient as possible. They're highly reactive, involved, and genuinely want to offer us an immense value. I'm sure they do the same for all their clients. They've been quick to indicate the best kind of technology to use and offer helpful ideas to improve our business. I can't say enough good things about them. You can tell they take pride in their work.

I really have no complaints; they work efficiently and have been great partners.

My best advice is to know exactly what you want when you begin a new development partnership. It's always productive for entrepreneurs (or anyone starting a business) to have a clear idea of what they want to build, even if it's just drawn on a napkin. This will help clarify what all your teams need to accomplish. Most importantly, choose a great development partner like Def Method to collaborate with on your project.

They've never missed a deadline.
    The price has been awesome.

IT Staff Augmentation for Kids Clothing Subscription Service

“Def Method’s engineers get work done in a timely manner, all while maintaining a smile.”

Apr. - Aug. 2017

Def Method built critical user-facing features using Ruby on Rails and React. A service fee mitigates risk and secures the business model, while the delivery rescheduling option offers customers flexibility.

CTO, Kids Clothing Subscription Service

Def Method’s engineers provided staff augmentation and instructed the in-house team on full stack development and best practice. Programmers deftly worked with a Solidus framework without prior experience. The team’s fresh perspective, expertise, and knowledge base bolstered security and revenue.

I'm the CTO of a children’s clothing subscription box company. We're vertically integrated, so we design and manufacture all the clothes, then sell them directly to consumers.

What challenge were you trying to address with Def Method?

Our engagement with Def Method last summer focused on staff augmentation, reinforcing best practices, and bolstering our team's comfortability with full stack programming.

Def Method coded critical user facing features. Our website is built on Ruby on Rails on the backend, and React on the frontend. The team was adept at both technologies. We use a Solidus e-commerce framework, which they quickly understood without prior experience. While they didn’t do design work, per se, they worked closely with our internal designers to understand the UI/UX. Our specific work model doesn’t involve wireframes. We create detailed specs using Zeppelin files that are ready to use by the time development starts.

During development planning, I walked them through our desired additions. I write these features very discretely so we can easily iterate and pivot, and see them early and often. A notable self-service function they built allows customers to reschedule box delivery times at their leisure. Before, they’d had to arrange that process through our customer service.

To improve our business model, we introduced a concept akin to a service fee. We’d incurred significant risk by sending customers boxes worth hundreds of dollars, without knowing if they’d be kept and paid for. When users sign up for our service, they pay an initial cost per box that’s credited towards any products they decide to keep. This mitigates the risk of fraudulent consumers with bad cards coming through the sales funnel.

I've actually engaged with Def Method a few times, at both my current and previous employers. I worked with three resources last summer in 2017, and an additional four previously. I've been able to work directly with the developers, rather than going through project managers.

How did you come to work with Def Method?

My previous company used Def Method before they merged with a different company and changed their name. Initially, we worked on a trial basis for a three-month project. We ended up engaging with them for over a year, and kept renewing the statement of work. They used a variety of engineers through that process. Working with them was always very enjoyable, including the handoff. From both our perspectives, it was nice to have fresh eyes and a new stance. High caliber developers enabled them to ramp up quite quickly.

We've spent over $100,000 on their services.

We started this last project in April 2017, and finished it in August 2017.

Both the introduction of the fee and the ability for users to self-service the shipping windows were game-changing features for our business. Their work critically improved the health of our company, both from a risk and business model perspective. Before these features launched, we were incurring major risk and attracting the wrong type of consumer. Since then, we've acquired customers with a longer lifetime value, who are a better fit for our company.

How did Def Method perform from a project management standpoint?

We didn't really use Def Method for that aspect. Having tangentially seen how they operate internally, I can tell it's a well-oiled machine. They mostly provided staff augmentation, and worked in-house with our team. A major reason I chose them is that they practice pair programming, which benefitted our staff's individual and team growth. The internal team I inherited was a bit siloed in their skill sets. Our developers had usually focused more on either frontend or backend. Bringing in Def Method eased their comfort level with transitioning to full stack development.

It was a pleasure to work with them. They have a great group of engineers at their disposal. Everyone I've come in contact with has been quite knowledgeable and has a great attitude. Other extreme programming-type development shops carry a certain degree of arrogance. Def Method’s engineers get work done in a timely manner, all while maintaining a smile.

I wanted to make sure their engineers stayed happy. Although they're hourly contractors, I was invested in their individual growth, and wanted them to feel engaged. I brought that up with Joe Leo, their president and CEO. He was responsive and consistently checked in with them. I got the sense that he felt similarly.

Be upfront about the level of instruction you want from Def Method. They can help your team better themselves, versus just completing the work. They usually limit input to what you explicitly request, especially if they’re hired as staff augmentation. If you ask them to, however, they’ll bolster your team's best practices and bring more opinions to the table.

IT Staff Augmentation & Development for Billing Software

"...[O]ur junior developers valued the knowledge passed on by Def Method’s experienced team."

May 2014 - Aug. 2016

Def Method provided developers for a medical billing company to fill employment gaps. They helped add functionalities to a web-based platform, launch a public API, and install new integrations.

CTO, Billing Software Firm

Def Method’s pragmatic approach allows them to seamlessly integrate with any work environment, while their broad skillset makes them suitable for a variety of projects. They played an instrumental role in launching new products. Their experienced team exchanged knowledge with in-house developers.

I'm the CTO of a company that provides medical billing software. Our platform streamlines billing with software specifically built to manage the complex challenges of workers’ compensation.

What challenge were you trying to address with Def Method?

We had a few technical hires leave suddenly and needed an agency to provide technical leadership and staff augmentation.

They helped find the right developers for our projects and assisted with the onboarding process. From there, Def Method continued to provide technical oversight and product management assistance.

We have a fairly large web-based platform that we continue to develop on a daily basis, adding new functionalities. We also kicked off our public API during our engagement with Def Method and launched new integrations to connect with other medical systems. Their team was instrumental in getting those projects off the ground.

We worked closely with Joe (Leo, Founder, Def Method), who spent a few days each week on our project. They typically provided a small team of no more than five individuals.

How did you come to work with Def Method?

They were recommended by a mutual business relationship.

Between $50,000–$200,000.

We worked together between May 2014–August 2016.

Def Method helped stabilize our business until we could hire additional staff to build our internal team. They were very professional, and our junior developers valued the knowledge passed on by Def Method’s experienced team.

How did Def Method perform from a project management standpoint?

Due to the nature of our engagement, project management was largely handled by members of our team. They were able to provide guidance on how to break down large projects from a technical perspective and then how best arrange the work to be done.

We split the engagement between in-office and remote sessions. When remote, we used a combination of Slack and Google Hangouts to communicate. We also used remote pair programming for screen sharing.

They’re incredibly pragmatic, which isn’t always the case with consultants. Def Method—and Joe, in particular—maintains a good, practical balance, adapting to our existing methodologies and blending into our preferred work style.

In terms of development, their team has a wide range of expertise. They don’t specialize in only a handful of technologies, giving them the flexibility to find solutions for a variety of projects.

Our engagement went very smoothly, so I can’t think of anything.

Whether you are looking to augment your existing engineering team or build a new product, Def Method has a diverse team ready to help out.

Due to the nature of the engagement, project management was largely handled by our end.