Brand Design and Consulting for Growth Companies

DBC delivers brand consulting and design, creating an unfair advantage for organizations against their competition. DBC is Driven by Data, using any available data points to drive our creative decision making.

Above all, we seek clients who have strategic change in mind. Our clients are typically seeking large scale growth and DBC is excellent in developing strategies to help achieve these goals. Our ability to build these tactics create value in new revenue, reduced costs and effective placement of the brand.

DBC is known for solving complex communication problems, crafting a more authentic connection between brand and audience. At DBC, we Reduce the Noise.

New York, NY
  • 40 Water Street, FL 4
    New York, NY 10004

Financial/Prof. Services American Express Bain & Co. StockTwits Education: College Board Fashion Institute of Technology SUNY Research Foundation For Purpose: Ms. Foundation for Women Neighbors Together Hot Bread Kitchen Real Estate: Corcoran Knotel Hidrock Properties Sports: National Basketball Players Assoc. Foundation Women’s National Basketball Players Assoc. J.P. Morgan Tourn. of Champions Oracle NetSuite Open Tech/Data: Duality Analytics Leaf Logistics Applied Data Quotient

The 18 Months We Worked With American Express To Transform The Card Member Email Ecosystem Image

From an increase in customer engagement and satisfaction, to a decrease in call volume, our engagement with American Express saw us empower both Card Members and the organization through clear visual and written communication.

We helped Amex with their Email Strategy, Email Transformation, Agile Methodology (Marketing), Guidelines Deployment, Creative Ideation, Motion Graphics, User Experience Design and Rebrand

Implementation.

With this strategy, American Express saw the following results:

• Typical Reduction in Call Volume between 3 and 5%, and specific templates having success stories of 25-30% reduction
  • 7000+ communications revamped and optimized to be mobile first and empower Card Members to manage their account faster through Digital Self Servicing.
  • Deployment of servicing email guidelines throughout the organization
  • Our Agile Project Team won an internal Amex award for Innovation in the organization

Visit https://studiodbc.com/brand-strategy/americanexpress to read the full case study.

Using Clean Visual Communication To Increase Donations That Empower Women Across The Globe Image

The Ms. Foundation for Women is taking bold steps forward for women across the globe. Our work broadcasts their impact to current and potential donors who can exponentially increase their reach and results.

We helped Ms. Foundation for Women with their Direct Mail Transformation, Print Design, Infographic Design, Print Coordination, Mailing Service, Results Measurement, Motion Graphic Design.

With this

strategy, Ms. Foundation for Women saw following results:
  • Year-over-year increase in average donation amount
  • Donors buzzing about the quality of the new materials

Visit https://studiodbc.com/brand-strategy/msfoundation to read the full case study.

The Project We Established A Brand For NBA Players' Philanthropic Efforts. Image

The Project We Established A Brand For NBA Players' Philanthropic Efforts.

The NBPA Foundation had existed for 20 years without a brand identity or any formal way to garner recognition for its members' work.
Our solution to this challenge was to team the identity with its organizations and initiatives they support.

We helped NBPA Foundation with their Audience Research and Strategy, Identity Creation, Digital Copywriting, Content Creation, Creative Concept Testing, Motion Graphics,

Brand Development, Brand Strategy, Brand Architecture, Logo Design, Brand Guidelines, Print Design.

With this strategy NBPA Foundation saw following results:

• Brand launched within 6 weeks
  • NBPA Foundation All-Star Weekend Takeovers
  • Multiple imitative websites and videos for player audience and public

Visit https://studiodbc.com/brand-strategy/nbpafoundation to read the full case study.

Activating The Growth Of A Sprouting Brand In Transportation Logistics Image

Activating The Growth Of A Sprouting Brand In Transportation Logistics

Optimizing Leaf’s brand for a relaunch was a short turnaround goal that paid big results. From logo cleanup efforts to a sticky launch video, each deliverable was driven by customer intelligence.

We helped Leaf with their Brand Consulting, Messaging Strategy, Logo Optimization, Print Design, Motion Design, Launch Planning.

With this strategy Leaf saw following results:

• Ease of transition for
existing customers
  • Increased impressions with brand video
  • Visit https://studiodbc.com/brand-strategy/leaf to read the full case study.

Increase awareness and usage of the center for continuing education. Image

Increase awareness and usage of the center for continuing education.

SUNY Adirondack’s Wilton Center in Saratoga, NY was popular when it first opened, the excitement began to dwindle in 2015, and resulted in reduced usage. The school’s leadership was looking for ways to increase awareness and usage of the center for continuing education.

DBC interviewed stakeholders from the school and community, identified new focus areas for the center and made bold new recommendations for the brand of

the center.

We helped SUNY Adirondack with their Audience Research and Strategy, Identity Creation, Digital Copywriting, Content Creation
    Creative Concept Testing, Creative Ideation, Brand Strategy, Brand Planning, Naming Strategy.

Recommendations:

1.BUILD TRUST

Rename the center SUNY Adirondack at Saratoga

2. CREATE DEMAND

New Offerings: One day bootcamps, elder learning lecture series, career advancement programs

3. DRIVE CONVERSIONS

Targeting non-traditional students where they are. From social campaigns to out-of-home ads,
    their internal marketing team has
    the direction they need to grow
    the center.

Branding for Homeowners Association

"I was most impressed by their ability to integrate with our systems."

Sept. 2019 – Jan. 2020

Brought in as a third party, DBC designed a logo and provided 3D integration work with the client’s services.

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ellyn Freed
    Associate Architect, Forte Architects, Inc.

DBC received all really positive feedback from their third-party client. Throughout the process, they worked quickly and efficiently and listened to both parties’ feedback. They did a great job of integrating their logo into the work already previously done.

I am an associate architect and partner in progress at Forte Architects, Inc.

What challenge were you trying to address with DBC?

We needed someone to design a logo for one of our clients. This was a unique project that went beyond our regular scope and we didn’t feel comfortable providing that for them.

Not only did DBC design the 2D logo for us, but they also provided 3D integration work. So, they integrated their design right into the work we were already doing for the client.

Carlos (Founder & Creative Director, DBC) and one other teammate were my direct points of contact.

How did you come to work with DBC?

A company I used to work for hired them, so I was familiar with their work.

We spent $2,500 on design services. They gave us a really good deal, but the client paid more for their whole project.

We worked together from September 2019–January 2020.

There were surveys handed out in the community where the new logo is and all of the feedback has been very positive.

How did DBC perform from a project management standpoint?

From what I experienced, it was really great. I know they tried to provide really good service and they worked very quickly and efficiently. They listened to both our feedback and the client’s.

I was most impressed by their ability to integrate with our systems. They did a really nice job and that’s not something you see with graphics and branding firms all the time. It takes a lot of time and effort to do that and they did a really good job.

I know it is a really fast-paced company and everyone has limited schedules, but some of the calls felt rushed. That's a pretty minimal issue though since everyone was still very happy with the product.

DBC really likes the back and forth of the design process. If someone is just looking for a consultant to throw ideas, I don’t think DBC is the right fit. They’re looking to listen and looking to work. I think that’s what makes them a really special branding agency. If you’re looking for an authentic experience and custom product, they’re the way to go.

They gave us a great deal.
      Absolutely wonderful. I would hire them again in a heartbeat.

Logo & Print Design for Business Strategy Consultancy

“The whole DBC team is confident in their field.”

July 2018 - Jan. 2019

DBC provided logo and print designs for a business strategy consultancy. The team provided color palette and design suggestions, printing business cards and other marketing collateral.

Somerset, New Jersey
    Daniel J. Mearns
    Founder & CEO, Visionary Business Strategies LLC

The designs have recieved positive external feedback on their professional design, exceeding the expectations of the internal team. DBC is attentive and adaptable, making changes where necessary to ensure client satisfaction. The team is creative, hard-working, and talented.

I am the founder & CEO of Visionary Business Strategies LLC, a business consultancy. I’ve been a consultant for many years but this is a new endeavor where I’m focusing on young entrepreneurs. My focus will be helping these young entrepreneurs with budgets, cash flow and business strategy, marketing, restructuring, expansion, HR, and more. I started this part-time business because I’m retired and just having fun.

What challenge were you trying to address with DBC?

I had designed a logo and branding but wanted a second opinion.

DBC helped me refine my branding and logo. I showed my initial designs to Carlos (Founder & Creative Director, DBC), who helped me move towards a more modern look. He put a look and color configuration together for our logo and print collateral, including business cards.

I worked directly with Carlos. He’s very aware of who my clientele is so he knows exactly how to approach my branding.

How did you come to work with DBC?

I was aware of Carlos’ work with others in the space. He’s brought sound advice to many of his sitting around the table. When I needed an outside opinion, I knew to go to him.

I have invested between $3,000–$4,000.

Our engagement ran from July 2018–January 2019.

Whenever I hand someone a business card, they tend to stop and comment on the design. I get a positive reaction from many folks, it’s a very professional business card.

How did DBC perform from a project management standpoint?

Carlos has enough energy to power the state of New Jersey for about a month. He is able to assess a situation and draw a conclusion very quickly. Not everybody can do that. He’s very talented in a way you can’t teach. We primarily communicate face-to-face and via email.

Carlos surrounds himself with people who are very talented. The whole DBC team is confident in their field.

It’s not critical, but when Carlos is busy it gets harder to communicate with him. He listened to me and improved his communication. He’s incredibly responsive now.

Listen to Carlos. He’s not just your average branding guy, he knows how to keep up with trends.

Branding, Web Design, & SEO for Regional Airport

"Their responsiveness and high-quality work were what really made this project a success for me."

Oct. 2018 - Mar. 2019

DBC created branding materials—including a logo—and a website presence for an airport. They also supplied SEO services and a content framework for the client’s website.

Denver, Colorado
    Leah Whitfield
    Former Aviation Planning Manager, DOWL

The website has launched and met the expectations of the client. DBC delivered high-quality design work against a tight budget. They responded quickly to inquiries and concerns, made quick progress, and went above and beyond to ensure the work was error-free.

I’m the former aviation planning group manager and project manager for Dowl, a civil engineering firm.

What challenge were you trying to address with DBC?

We were working with an airport client that didn’t have a website presence or any branding. We brought DBC to help us create branding materials for them, such as a logo and color palette, as well as a website.

DBC built a website and a logo. They also did SEO and create a framework for content and asked us to provide some of the material. In addition, they provided guidance for pulling other content together in the future.

I worked with at least two people. One was the lead designer, and I worked with Carlos (Founder & Creative Director, DBC) directly, who served a project manager role. I’m sure there were others behind the scenes.

How did you come to work with DBC?

I’ve known the founder for 15 years.

We spent $3,500.

We started working together in October 2018 and wrapped up in March 2019. We also relied on them for support for a while.

The website has been live for almost a year now. Everyone was pleased, and the airport was impressed with the value that they got and the quick turnaround. DBC was responsive whenever our client or we had a question. Our part in the project is still ongoing, but I anticipate the client’s traffic will increase once it’s finished.

How did DBC perform from a project management standpoint?

To me, responsiveness and quality of work are the important things when I’m working with a third-party vendor. DBC accomplished both of those qualities. They also were able to turn around work quickly and respond to questions in less than 20 minutes. They even went back to fix errors on the website when they didn’t have to. We had an initial phone and then communicated via email.

Their responsiveness and high-quality work were what really made this project a success for me. I just hired DBC for another project, and they’ve been able to work quickly on that as well.

No, I don’t think so. We were really pleased with their role.

The more information you give them upfront, the better your project will do. I should have created a list of information that we knew we wanted on the site instead of waiting for DBC to ask me. If you’re organized and prepared on your side, you’ll make their job a lot easier and get going on the project that much faster.

Full Scale Branding for New York City Nonprofit

“I always felt involved in the process in the right ways so that I could be helpful without being overly burdened.”

Jan. 2018 - May 2018

DBC provided end-to-end branding and design services to a student health non-profit. They developed a logo, visual identity, and branding guide, as well as physical informational materials.

Lila Nordstrom
    Executive Director, StuyHealth

The cohesivity of the new brand increased recognition for the client among its target population and legitimacy in the eyes of larger organizations. The DBC team was efficient and helpful throughout the process, working quickly but walking their client through each step of the process along the way.

I'm the executive director of an organization called StuyHealth, which is an advocacy and outreach nonprofit that does work with young adults who were affected by the World Trade Center cleanup.

What challenge were you trying to address with DBC?

We had been set up on a pretty ad hoc basis, so we didn't have any sort of branding that would allow people online to identify us from any random collection of students. We approached DBC not only for help with some of our graphics, but also to talk through how we wanted the group brand identity as a whole to look and feel.

Essentially, they helped us develop a visual identity for the brand. From there, they did our logo and graphic design and provided us all of the assets to go along with that, both physically and on all of our social accounts to make sure we were completely aligned and executed.

I believe there were about three people on their team working with us. We had one project manager and then a couple of designers working with him.

How did you come to work with DBC?

One of the students that we were working with as a part of the mission of our organization is an employee there, so that was how we came into contact with them and then we decided to work together.

They did the work for us pro-bono because of our status as a nonprofit.

We worked together from January–April 2018 on the original branding.

Their work absolutely increased our online engagement, both in terms of our brand recognition among our target population but also in terms of our ability to collaborate with other organizations. Without a clear identity, it was very difficult for others to identify our previous work. This project allowed us to appear more legitimate to larger organizations that have the resources to take on larger tasks than we have the ability to handle alone.

How did DBC perform from a project management standpoint?

We had a great experience with their project management. They were always responsive and worked quickly but without sacrificing on quality. I always felt like they were keeping me in the loop on every aspect of the process, from where we were on specific deliverables to when they would need feedback from me to move forward.

For the initial few meetings, we talked over the phone and through email, but when we began working on the more visual elements of the brand, I started going to their office to talk through different options.

As someone who doesn't work in marketing, I thought they were tremendously helpful in guiding me through that process. They are a great company for anyone who doesn't want the burden of learning everything there is to know about marketing and developing a brand. I always felt involved in the process in the right ways so that I could be helpful without being overly burdened.

I don't believe there is anything that could have significantly improved the process.

My advice would just be to ask them a lot of questions about the scope of their services and what they can do for you. I didn't really know going in how much they could do, and it could be helpful to have a better picture of that going in.

They worked very quickly and met all of my scheduling expectations.
      Despite the work being pro bono, I felt that I got excellent value.

Design Services for Real Estate Co

"We loved their design ability."

May - Sept. 2018

DBC managed design services to support a corporate presentation for a real estate company. The team produced graphic, brand, and design collateral.

New York, NY
    Marketing & Branding Director, Hidrock Properties

DBC provided deliverables that created a successful presentation to accomplish the project’s goals. The team communicated clearly to enable effective collaboration. They are capable, which resulted in repeated engagement.

I am the Marketing & Branding Director.

For what projects/services did your company hire DBC?

We had a major presentation needed which required all different forms of graphic, branding and design services.

To impressive a corporate client.

We've worked with DBC in the past and were proud of the work they produced.

Extensive design services.

Three team members.

The presentation was incredibly successful and our goal was achieved.

It was very effective and professional.

We loved their design ability. They were very effective communicators.

None, they are great.

Creative Consulting for Financial Services Co

"They really gave us their full attention and effort."

$1,000,000 - $9,999,999

Sept. 2017 - June 2019

DBC provided consulting services to improve the UX of customer service emails for a financial services company. They assessed metrics, tested solutions, redesigned emails, and created communication standards.

Project Manager, American Express

DBC provided high-quality deliverables that generated positive feedback from internal stakeholders and ensured ongoing engagement. The team was transparent, producing results on time and on budget. They were a dedicated and engaged partner.

I am a Project Manager at American Express.

For what projects/services did your company hire DBC?

My project was to improve the design and UX of some of our high-volume emails. We hired DBC for creative consulting, copywriting, and design.

Our KPIs were customer satisfaction, digital engagement, and call rate.

We considered a variety of creative agencies, looking especially for firms that could provide us with fresh email insights and innovative ideas. Ultimately, DBC stood out because of the quality of their pitch, because they were comfortable with Design Thinking and Agile methodologies, and because could provide on-site services.

DBC provided creative consulting, and helped us:

• review behavior metrics in emails (ex. open rate, click through rate, call rate, etc)
    •  ideate solutions for impacting those metrics
    • design AB tests to validate the proposed solutions
    • align with internal stakeholders like brand, legal, compliance, and technology
    • redesign 1.2 billion servicing emails that we send to our customers
    • create a set of standards and guidelines for future emails

From DBC, we were assigned a Creative Director, a Copywriter, and a Visual Designer.

DBC delivered high quality work and positive results --- when I presented their work to our senior leadership team, I literally got a standing ovation. We continued to renew DBC's contract for 6 quarters.

DBC’s SOW was clearly outlined from the start. They did not go over budget, and quite reliably delivered on schedule.There were no hidden costs.

They really gave us their full attention and effort.

When new creatives were on-boarded, it took them a bit of time to understand the particular nuances of the finance industry. Nonetheless, we were very satisfied with the final product.

Ongoing Creative Design for Women's Foundation

"DBC has a spirit that is creative and enthusiastic. Working with them is fun and always promises to be fulfilling."

June 2018 - Ongoing

DBC was initially tasked with designing an annual fundraising appeal for a women's foundation. Based on that success, they've remained on retainer to supply creative services for subsequent projects.

Brooklyn, New York
    Stephanie K. Blackwood
    Director of Major Gifts, Ms. Foundation for Women

DBC's work was essential in helping the organization reach its revenue goal and earn more responses. The designs also bolstered the foundation's brand image.

The Ms. Foundation for Women, founded in 1973, is the first women's foundation in the US.

Its work is to build women's collective power, which it does through grantmaking, strategic communications, leadership development, and policy advocacy that are focused on the Safety, Health, and Economic Justice of women and girls.

I am the Director of Major Gifts and have held responsibility for management of our relationship with Studio DBC.

For what projects/services did your company hire DBC?

Originally DBC was hired to design an annual fundraising appeal. The outcome was so successful that we created a retainer relationship in order to have their creativity and capability available for all projects directed to our donors and various audiences.

For the original project, our goals were:

1. To reach our revenue goal
    2. To achieve a certain percentage of response
    3. To upgrade the foundation's image through improved design.

We achieved all three goals.

I started by researching design firms that were self-professed feminist in their values and focus. DBC was one of the few .

See above.

Diverse by gender, race, and ethnicity.

We met all the goals of the project, as described above.

Workflow and communication were smooth, collaborative, and stress free, primarily because DBC is attentive to deadlines and deeply attentive to customer service.

DBC has a spirit that is creative and enthusiastic. Working with them is fun and always promises to be fulfilling. After 18 months of partnership, I can say that they have delivered consistently, efficiently, and cost-effectively.

We have open communications and address any concerns as they arise. The nature of our relationship makes it easy to see improvement from project to project.

Overall Score We are a pleased, satisfied, happy customer.
      Always responsive to requests.
      Excellent quality at the lowest possible cost.
      There's always room for improvement.
      I already have referred DBC and I will continue to do so.

Presentation Design for Snack Company

"The speed, quality, and collaborative nature of the team stood out to us."

August 2019

DBC provided presentation support for a snack company. This included design work on the board deck.

Ilana Fischer
    CEO, Whisps

The final deck is professional and innovative. DBC provides beautifully designed deliverables with a quick turnaround time. The team is creative, attentive, and personable.

We are a new snack company in NYC.

For what projects/services did your company hire DBC?

DBC helped us to make our board deck look great and polished before our first major meeting.

We had a lot of really good content but didn't have time to design the deck. We needed it to look professional, and that's what DBC helped us accomplish!

I had worked with Carlos before and knew he produced fantastic presentations.

See above.

There were five of us working on the deck.

Deck looked amazing! Just like it hadn't been finished three hours before the meeting!

Great. Carlos was super patient about taking various drafts and inputs from everyone and was also very accommodating about our last minute changes and needs.

The speed, quality, and collaborative nature of the team stood out to us

Nothing!