New England's Independent Ad Agency

Davis Advertising is one of the largest independent agencies in New England. We offer a wide array of in-house services including strategic branding, website design and marketing, full in-house TV, video, and radio production, graphic design, social media strategy, copywriting, public relations and media buying.

Davis has consistently been named the area’s number one agency under the “Top Advertising and PR Firms” category in the annual Book of Lists published by the Worcester Business Journal.

1948
Worcester, MA

Honey Dew Donuts, Wayback Burgers, Brookwood Financial, Cape Cod Community College, East Cambridge Savings Bank, Globo Force, Service Credit Union, Cornerstone Bank, Coastal Heritage Bank, Meredith Village Savings Bank, SIS, IMN Inc., Worcester Railers.

Branding for a Non Profit

“Davis Advertising approaches each project with meticulous scrutiny and ensures we present factual messaging.”

Apr. 2018 - Ongoing

Davis Advertising led a nonprofit organization's rebranding effort. They also designed and developed a new website from scratch to support a mental health awareness campaign.

Fort Worth, Texas
Paul Richard
Former Executive Director, The SHINE Initiative

Capable of conveying serious topics via effective messaging with sensitivity and professionalism, Davis Advertising is an asset to any project. They delivered a brilliant site with an aesthetically pleasing frontend interface. Extensive CMS training improved long-term internal productivity.

I’m a former executive director of The SHINE Initiative. Our nonprofit organization provides mental health education to schools, colleges, and other civic groups.

What challenge were you trying to address with Davis Advertising?

Davis Advertising created an original logo and website graphics for our organization many years ago. More recently, we hired them to support a significant rebranding initiative.

Davis Advertising led a project to rebrand our entire organization in line with a mental health awareness campaign. To accomplish that goal, they built a new website for us from the ground up. That process involved coding the backend infrastructure and designing a frontend interface.

They also implemented a CMS and trained my staff on how to perform future updates. Once the appropriate systems were in place, they consulted us regarding brand strategy and developed content for the campaign.

We’ve been in contact with about six individuals including an account manager.

How did you come to work with Davis Advertising?

One of our original corporate sponsors reached out to Davis Advertising on our behalf. We’ve been delighted to continue working with them over the years.

The contract for this project calls for a maximum investment of $30,000.

Our most recent project together started in April 2018 and is currently ongoing.

Davis Advertising thoughtfully considered the purpose of our rebrand. Since it serves to support a community-wide campaign, they're tracking the number of contacts and media responses they secure. Since our project is collaborative, they’ll be providing a full report to The SHINE Initiative.

How did Davis Advertising perform from a project management standpoint?

The team consists of highly talented individuals that are wonderful to work with. They’re professional, responsive, and accessible. The owner is a genuine and caring person.

I appreciate Davis Advertising's awareness of and sensitivity regarding complex topics. Traditionally, there’s a negative stigma attached to the subject of mental health. Many agencies skim over the topic and try to present it in a way that doesn’t reflect a true understanding of the issue. Davis Advertising approaches each project with meticulous scrutiny and takes care to present factual messaging. They base all the content they create on existing evidence in the field. I can’t say enough wonderful things about them.

No. They’ve even done a lot of extra work for us to benefit the community.

I recommend hiring Davis Advertising. They’re great people to know.

Full-Service Advertising for Community College

“They’re engaging, collaborative, and very efficient. … There’s never been a time that I’ve had to wait for something.”

Apr. 2015 - Ongoing

Davis Advertising provides marketing, advertising, and strategic services for a regional college. They complete videos and graphic design projects for traditional and digital campaigns and have also done SEO work.

West Barnstable, Massachusetts
Michael Gross
Marketing Director, Cape Cod Community College

Enrollments have stabilized and increased. Feedback from staff indicates that marketing campaigns have successfully reached their intended audiences. They’re responsive, creative, and their branding suggestions have revitalized the school’s reputation with both students and the broader community.

I’m the director of college communications at Cape Cod Community College in Massachusetts. We provide comprehensive two-year programs and we’re the only institution for 50 miles in our region, so we serve a very wide-ranging population. We offer everything from full academic courses to professional development programs.

What challenge were you trying to address with Davis Advertising?

We were experiencing a significant downturn in enrollment and we knew we needed to remake and expand our brand. We didn’t have the staff to do it ourselves, so we needed to hire outside assistance.

We receive their full range of advertising and marketing services. They provide strategic direction in terms of focusing our campaigns, as well as graphic arts and video production services for traditional and digital media. This includes design for print ads, welcome packets, and official publications, as well as TV and radio ads. In addition, they’ve increased our access to digital  They’ve also done SEO and given us access to digital marketing that we didn’t have the internal resources to handle.

We primarily interact with our account rep and our associate rep, but I’m also in touch with their digital marketer, videographer, and copywriters. During our biannual in-person meetings, they’ll bring in a full team of six or seven people who represent all the different departments of the agency that we work with.

How did you come to work with Davis Advertising?

We carried out an exhaustive request for proposals from companies up and down the East Coast and ultimately chose Davis Advertising. We liked that they were in-state and more accessible to us. They also had experience working with other small and community colleges, so they understood the needs of an institution of our size. Additionally, all of our services with Davis are covered under a monthly retainer, and that value was also a deciding factor in our choice.

Our annual fee is about $85,000.

We’ve been working with them since April 2015 and we’re still working with them.

Last year our enrollment was up almost a full percentage point for the first time in several years, as opposed to continuing on a decline in accordance with national trends. We’ve also seen a change from summer enrollments that were down 5% or more to increases of 5–7% for the past two years. Feedback from one professor revealed that at least 30% of her summer students were coming from outside our college, and those are exactly the students we’re targeting in our summer advertising and online marketing.

In another example, they helped us create a brand around the phrase, “The future starts here,” and it’s redirected our institution and the public’s perception of us. We have a 50-year history, so to be able to market ourselves as future-oriented is really powerful. It’s changed the attitude within the campus community itself and also had a positive impact on how we’re understood by the greater regional community.

How did Davis Advertising perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re engaging, collaborative, and very efficient. We have a standing order to meet once a week on a conference call and we receive a weekly status update on all of our projects. They always deliver their products on time, or even slightly ahead of schedule. There’s never been a time in the past three years that I’ve had to wait for something.

Their responsiveness really distinguishes them. Anytime I send an email or make a phone call, I know I’ll get an immediate response and the level of attention that I need. We have a dynamic, fluid relationship, and at times we’ve sprung projects on them that even we didn’t anticipate, but they always respond quickly. Their staff has considerable expertise and they’re willing to dive deep into exploring strategies or options with us.

We’ve had this conversation with them a few times, but I think their copywriting for TV and radio is oriented toward retail and marketing, so it doesn’t always fit our style as a higher education institution. We go back and forth about it jokingly. I suspect that happens with every client because all our needs are different.

Overall Score When we renewed the contract last year, I looked to see if anyone else could do a better job and they’re by far the best.
    They haven’t missed one deadine.
    The value spent for the dollar with them is certainly top-rate.
    I have no complaints about the quality of their work.
    I’ve referred them to a number of my colleagues, and I know they’ve picked up new clients because of it.

Marketing & Branding for Bank

"They come across as a small, responsive agency with a boatload of muscle behind it."

June 2015 - Ongoing

Davis Advertising launched a successful brand integration following a bank merger. The team continues to provide data analysis, creative services, media buying, and strategic marketing advice.

Scituate, Massachusetts
Jack Pelrine
VP of Marketing, Coastal Heritage Bank

The new institution is performing well, and Davis' exceptional output has been well-received by the community. Their work is cutting-edge in its design, and the team embodies professionalism. They offer an engagement style that is similar to a boutique agency.

Coastal Heritage Bank is a $500-million community bank on the south shore of Massachusetts. We have nine branches and about 100 employees. We came into existence in late 2015 through the merger of two smaller community banks, and that’s where our relationship with Davis Advertising began.

What challenge were you trying to address with Davis Advertising?

Knowing that we were going to be merging two institutions, we knew we would need help getting the word out and, more importantly, rebranding the new institution. We needed to come up with a name, colors, signage, logos, and look and feel. We knew we needed more in-depth assistance than we already had in-house and through existing relationships with other marketing firms.

Their work has been from soup to nuts. It involved a lot of research, which was very helpful. They did market analysis, focus groups, interviewing, and a lot of data analysis. Using all that information, they helped us understand what the results meant, then interpreted that into a new look and feel for the new bank. We ultimately became Coastal Heritage Bank.

After the research was completed and agreed upon, we utilized them on the creative side to develop the name, colors, logo, guidelines, websites. They did all the creative that goes along with it, including digital, radio, television, and print advertising, direct mail, and branch merchandising. They even helped us coordinate the brand kickoff party. They’ve been involved from the second we hired them to this day. They’ve done it all for us.

For the creative work, they usually provide us with a variety of options. As they’ve gotten to know us better over the years, they have a pretty good idea of what we’re looking for. In the early days, they provided more options. Some of them were more “out there” than we liked, but they take chances like that. They do push the envelope and try to present us with different things. It’s not all spoon-fed to us. The decision is ours, and if we don’t like something, they go back and do it over.

Their work is mostly on the creative side, but they also contribute to strategy. When it comes to budget time, we determine the marketing budget for the year internally. We determine how to maximize the presence of Coastal Heritage in our market area with a given amount of money. That’s where Davis really sharpens their pencil and gives us ideas of what we need to do and how we can effectively message while staying within our budget. They also provide media buying services.

How did you come to work with Davis Advertising?

I did a search through contacts I had within the banking industry and what I knew of different agencies. I was familiar with Davis from other work they’ve done in the industry, but I also reached out to two or three other agencies. We requested proposals from all four of them and went through a formal review process. Each agency had an opportunity to come in and present to me, a subcommittee of the board, and other senior managers in the bank as to how they saw things going through the merger.

When we boiled it all down, Davis was selected as the agency of choice. The deciding factor was their track record. They’ve been around for a while, and they have very strong internal departments. They wouldn’t have to farm anything out. They’re very strong in their art department, media buying, account support—they have it all. It was really the feel we got from meeting with them as well. They were more like us, a community business, than some of the other agencies.

How much have you invested with Davis Advertising?

We’ve invested between $300,000 and $400,000 over the course of the engagement.

We started working together in June of 2015, and the relationship is ongoing.

The merged entity has performed beyond everyone’s expectations. That’s attributable to the staff here and the management. From what we can gather, the look and feel of the bank were received very favorably, as far as the public’s perception is concerned. The CEOs of competing banks have all been duly impressed with the work we’ve done. The bank continues to grow and generate residential loans, commercial loans, and deposits. We’re performing very well and very profitably. I guess where the rubber meets the road, we’ve done very well. Part of that has to go towards the marketing efforts in building the brand on the south shore of Massachusetts.

How did Davis Advertising perform from a project management standpoint?

I’m probably in contact with them on a daily basis for one project or another. We have weekly phone calls for updates on different projects and the status of different things we’re doing. On a quarterly basis, we meet face-to-face with the principals in the agency, not just the account people. It’s always nice to have the owner of the firm just sit and talk with you to see how things are going, how they might help, and offer some advice on a direction we could go. They’ve been very engaged and supportive.

My daily contact is with the account management executive, and she’s been extraordinary. She’s very responsive. The support they’ve given us has been very well-received. I get the feeling that there’s nothing they can’t do. Even if we need last-second changes on a television ad, and it’s Friday at 5:00, they’ll get it done—they’re that responsive. Part of that is not only their professionalism but the fact that they have everything in-house. They don’t have to go track it down. They can make changes on a dime when needed. The creative work they’ve developed and provided has been exceptional. We’ve been very pleased.

What did you find most impressive about Davis Advertising?

They come across as a small, responsive agency with a boatload of muscle behind it. We know they’re a bigger agency, one of the biggest in New England, but they come across as very approachable and easy to work with.

Are there any areas Davis Advertising could improve?

I’m not sure about that. I never like spending the bank’s money, but their pricing is very fair. I haven’t gotten to the point where they haven’t been able to deliver on what we needed. I don’t think there’s anything of which I could be critical.

Overall Score I’ve been exceedingly pleased.
    There’s never been an issue with that.
    There’s always room for improvement. I work in a bank, and we don’t go overboard on ratings.
    There’s always room to grow. To date, they’ve been exceptional.
    I have referred them to colleagues in the industry outside of our market. I’m very comfortable doing that.