Dataforest - Empower the data

Ukrainian Data Science and Web Development agency focused on data-driven solutions.

We are experienced at:

- DevOps;

2018
Kiev, Ukraine

Programming & Database Mgmt for Segmentation Analytics Co

“Our business would not be where it is right now if we hadn’t found Dataforest.”

Nov. 2018 - Ongoing

Initially hired to program algorithms for a segmentation analytics platform, the scope of Dataforest’s work has expanded to include project management, backend database management, and platform development.

Medina, Ohio
Chuck Baddley
Co-Founder & CAO, Sweetspot

Dataforest exceeds expectations by outpacing time estimates, adhering to the budget, and delivering innovative solutions. Internal stakeholders have been so pleased by their forward-thinking work that they’ve repeatedly expanded the scope of their work. Services are high quality and cost-effective.

At Sweetspot, our goal is to make data science affordable for all Marketers. We developed a segmentation platform for small–medium-sized agencies that enables them to leverage advanced segmentation schemes easily into Marketing campaigns for their end clients.

What challenge were you trying to address with Dataforest?

As a former Data Science Executive, I have had access to many data scientists. However, Sweetspot is a bootstrap startup, and finding affordable data scientists in the U.S. was challenging even with my deep network.  We needed to do a lot of advanced programming and analytics but on a startup budget. It was NOT financially viable for us to build our platform using US-based data science and development talent so we began looking at offshore options.

We initially hired Dataforest to program algorithms and models for our platform.   The first couple of projects that Dataforest worked on was within this scope. They took in large amounts of data and used various analytic techniques to build models and produce consumable outputs for use in our platform.

Dataforest has done such a great job for us that they have now become a trusted resource and partner in pretty much all aspects of the data, technical and analytic functions of our business.

Recently we also add Dataforest’s technical project management and process documentation capabilities to the list of projects that we retain them for.  As our business grows and our demand for these expertise increases, we are confident that they are the right resource for our longer-term success.

To date, we’ve worked with four team members, including Aleksandr and Vlad (Partners & Co-Owners, Dataforest) and two developers/programmers.

How did you come to work with Dataforest?

I looked at and interviewed multiple contractors and outsource companies, but when I interviewed Vlad at Dataforest it was evident that he knew exactly what I was needing and also was able to illustrate real examples of similar/relevant work that they had done to assure me that they were experts in the areas where I needed help. Vlad also offered up great ideas and recommendations that they felt would best serve our objectives.

To date, we have engaged in multiple projects as well as monthly retainer hours for ad-hoc work and project management.  We are on pace to engage in $40,000–$50,000 in project work over a 12-month window.  They have been very flexible with us and taken on projects that have lasted several months and as short as 1 week. They are also very flexible on billing and have allowed us to do both flat hourly rate work as well as project-based work.

Our work together began in November 2018, and it’s ongoing.   We now consider them a critical part of our business and look at them as our “Team in the Ukraine."

Our business would not be where it is right now if we hadn’t found Dataforest. Every step of the way, they’ve proven more and more competent; every time I push them, they step up and deliver.

How did Dataforest perform from a project management standpoint?

When we have new projects, my team presents to them what we want to do, and Dataforest provides a quote and timeframe. They’re very dependable about timing, which has allowed me to sell future state software products to clients and beta clients. They not only hit their deadlines but also provide amazing customer service. They usually respond right away, despite the time difference.  We use their Project Management services and I believe this almost ensures that we are getting things done on time and on budget.

I’ve hired and trained a lot of analysts, and Dataforest is as good as, if not better than most of the talent I have worked within the U.S.

They produce excellent quality of work and are proactive in addressing issues before they become problems. They communicate very well and are not afraid to ask clarifying questions before they spend time (and money).  We have had no rework situations with them in the past 13 months.

We were a little concerned before we started with them that the time difference might limit our access to the team, but I don’t think these guys sleep! They are exceptionally responsive and even overnight communications never go unanswered for more than a few hours. We use Slack to communicate and there have been no issues.

I think the only potential challenge for somebody working with Dataforest is the same as with any offshore company. Using companies where employees' first language is not English does require you to be a bit more diligent about requirements and selective of the words you use.  In our experience with Dataforest the programmers we have worked with speak excellent English and are very easy to communicate with. In fact, many of them are multi-lingual and this recently enabled us to pick up work for a new client in Latin America because our analyst Iulia (Data Scientist, Dataforest) was able to understand the data fields that were in Spanish!  So the language difference has not been an issue for us.

I highly recommend Dataforest with two recommendations. First, have your project laid out in terms of what you want to accomplish... what is your end goal with some details on the specifics.  Second, don’t over-engineer the requirements. Dataforest’s team is really good at listening to what you’re trying to achieve. They’re really talented at problem-solving with advanced technology solutions.

Overall Score After 13 months of projects with Dataforest, we now view them as a key part of our team. They are a true partner for Sweetspot.
    They’ve always met or exceeded guidelines. Their responsiveness for an overseas company is amazing.
    Their cost has allowed us to build our startup without compromising quality.
    They deliver everything they say they’re going to deliver on time. More often than not, they over-deliver on my expectations.
    The fact that I’ve got these guys taking more and more ownership of the platform speaks for itself. I would absolutely refer Dataforest.

Custom Reporting Platform for E-Commerce Company

"They come up with creative working solutions to some of the most challenging issues we face in the business."

Aug. 2018 - Ongoing

Dataforest built a reporting tool and platform to alert an e-commerce company of supplier discounts on products. The collaboration is ongoing.

Poway, California
CEO, E-Commerce Company

Thanks to Dataforest’s work, the client has seen an additional $150,000 in revenue. The team delivers high-quality report features and development work quickly and within budget. Their responsiveness, expertise, and knack for problem-solving also stand out.

I’m the CEO of an e-commerce company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Dataforest?

We wanted to get a competitive advantage over other companies in the e-commerce space.

Dataforest created a reporting tool and web platform that lets us know when our supplier is selling items at a discount. We can take advantage of that information to get money from our supplier or to list products at reduced prices compared to our competitors. We no longer have to check these sources manually.

We have one point of contact with a team leader. I’m not sure how many people have been involved in our projects.

How did you come to work with Dataforest?

I found Dataforest on Upwork. They responded quickly to our job posting, and after a quick interview, I felt that they were in the best position to help me with my project. Since then, Dataforest exceeded my expectations. We've been working ever since.

We’ve spent around $100,000.

Our collaboration started in August 2018 and is ongoing.

In 2019, we earned an extra $150,000 in profit from the information Dataforest’s work provides us. I really enjoy working with Dataforest and the products they’ve delivered. They’ve allowed us to grow our business exponentially, and I now consider them a long-term strategic partner in my business.

How did Dataforest perform from a project management standpoint?

Dataforest is highly responsive to all our requests and executes them within our budget and timelines. We’re very impressed with their work.

Dataforest’s technical knowledge is unparalleled. They come up with creative working solutions to some of the most challenging issues we face in the business. Their honesty, transparency, and response time to our business needs also impress me.

I would say that Dataforest needs to improve their project management in terms of communication. Otherwise, I’m happy with their work and hope to continue working with them for a long time.

Make sure that you know exactly what you want from Dataforest. Have a clear plan in place, and make sure you follow it.

Digitalization for Artwork Gallery

"They also inform me about the results and the next steps they plan."

Apr. 2019 - ongoing

Dataforest created a digital identity for an artist, setting up a website, social media presence (Instagram) and a Wikipedia page. The website features previous sold as well as new artwork.

Ukraine
Igor Gubskiy
Owner & Artist, IGubskiy

Continuing to manage social media for the artist, Dataforest has proven to be a proactive and communicative team. Their frequent progress updates and high-quality work are notable.

Please introduce your business and your position there.

I am a professional artist and run my own gallery.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Dataforest? Why did you hire Dataforest?

The main idea was to digitize my artwork and gallery:

• Organize data about old pieces of art
  • Create a database of existing pieces of art and who owns them now
  • Small CRM system
  • Creation of website and social network accounts

The Dataforest team fully covered all of the project, starting from business analysis and finishing with final implementation.

What is the team composition? How many people did you work with and who are your main points of contact?

My main contact is Svetlana. Personally, I'm in contact with two people, but as far as I know, around 4 employees were involved in the different stages.

How did you come to work with Dataforest?

We met at my exhibition, and after several additional meetings, we initiated our cooperation.

What is the timeline of the project? What month/year did you start and finish?

We started in April 2019, and we still have an ongoing support project.

How much money have you invested with them?

I invested around $8,000–$9,000, but we also have monthly support.

We're still working together.

They built and launched my personal website and Instagram account, and they also manage the latter currently. They also started a Wikipedia page.

How did Dataforest perform from a project management standpoint? How responsive were they?

We haven't had any problems with project management. The team is proactive and always tell what they are doing. They also inform me about the results and the next steps they plan.

Their proactive position, quality of work, and communication stand out.

I'm okay with their current service.

No I don’t.

Analytic Platform for Commodity Trading Firm

"Everything was stress-free."

Apr. - June 2018

Dataforest set out to deliver an in-house analytics platform. A team of three sought to structure and unify data output from different sources into a single database with a visual overview.

Amsterdam, Netherlands
Sergii Tymoshchenkov
Managing Director, AM Trading BV

Dataforest succeeded in building software that drastically decreases the administrative burden. Now, the CFO of the company enjoys streamlined reports of all data outlets. The team's workflow was efficient and stress-free.

Managing director of Group of companies. We do physical commodities trading sourcing from CIS and delivering worldwide.

For what projects/services did your company hire Dataforest?

We needed in-house analytics for our internal purposes and web-based data output for external (customer's) use.

To structure all the data output from different trading desks (i.e. stock positions, cash overview, goods in transition) and combine this data in a unified database and visual overview.

We have been in contact with one of the co-founders of the company since last project (before he entered Dataforest) and we were satisfied with price/quality ratio.

We have 3 trading desks which are managed by 3 independent teams. Due to trading specifics (i.e. different measurements units, different purchase/sales terms, different shipment conditions) at the EOD we had 3 reports which were delivered by 3 teams and then the CFO manually adjusted those report to see the current trading positions.

We wanted to have the unified data that we receive from the trading platforms, port authorities, shipping agencies and banks to create unified EOD report. Moreover, as complimentary task we asked for presentation of data to be visualised.

We’ve worked with three people, including a project manager (Alex), an data scientist , and a frontend developer.

In the end we had an automatically updated unified EOD report. That required the new structure of the report from one desk and the rest was compiled to unified data. Hence, our CFO had only to check the EOD report and not to compile it manually which significantly decreased time spent.

On top of that (complimentary task) we've got unified dashboard that shows statistics and all key metrics with EOD updated.

DataForest does a decent job managing our project. We use Jira for all tasks that allow us to see current status and progress.

The best idea was that the project manager had financial background, so we spent much less time describing the business model and our needs.

Everything was stress-free.

Overall Score Stress-free which is most important
    All was delivered on time
    Price/quality was excellent
    Mainly due to financial background of the team
    Most likely regarding similar projects