Creativity + Technology

Founded in 1998, CrossComm is an app consultancy that specializes in the conception and implementation of cloud-savvy apps for web, native iOS, and native Android. We've consistently stayed on the forefront of app technology and trends over the past decade, being one of a handful of iOS app developers with a presence on the iTunes App Store since Day 1; we were early adopters of the Android ecosystem as well.

CrossComm is more than a software development studio - while we can write code very well, we see ourselves as consultants,“Digital Sherpas” who seek to profoundly understand our clients' motivations and help interpret those motivations into design and technical requirements. In designing and building apps, countless micro-decisions and compromises need to be made along the way and we aim to make every one of them with our client's business interests in mind. We are not "yes people" and we do not hesitate in offering differing perspectives or recommendations, or discarding ideas if better ones emerge. In short, we strive to see ourselves as part of your team.

1998
Durham, NC
  • 201 West Main Street Suite 208
    Durham, NC 27701

We've done app consulting and development work for a variety of organizations from Forbes, Martha Stewart Living Omnipedia, NBC Universal, the NYC DOT, and Medfusion as well as startups to help bring their digital aspirations to life. The common thread is that each client needed a trusted technology partner to guide them in developing a high quality app.

Forbes Under 30 App

Forbes selected CrossComm to develop the iOS version of its Under30 private social network for launch at its annual conference. The app was awarded the Best Media Mobile Application by the Web Marketing Association and enables users to connect ongoing by sharing and commenting on media, scheduling meet-ups with other participants, and receive real-time updates from the Forbes team.

Medfusion Plus Apple Watch App

Medfusion had an ambitious vision to create an app that would allow patients and caregivers to aggregate healthcare data from multiple providers onto a mobile app within seconds. The team at Medfusion was actively developing the iPhone app but also wanted to capitalize on the wearables market and selected CrossComm to develop the complimentary Apple Watch app.

ICF Dragon Web App

CrossComm was selected to architect and develop Dragon, an online tool for systematic review. This web app stores qualitative and quantitative data from literature research documents to help scientists implement the elements of systematic review while also assisting in the team management of reserach tasks.

Reveal iOS and Android SDKs

Reveal Mobile is the world's first beacon-powered audience database. Their existing SDK was functional, but in order to meet their true potential they needed a full-featured, highly-polished SDK and partnered with CrossComm to achieve this goal.

VR Development for Research Institute

“The team provides frequent progress updates and meets all deadlines.”

Dec. 2018 - Ongoing

CrossComm has developed an immersive VR framework for use in a 3D game engine and other contexts. Services included technical advising and design consultation. The partnership is ongoing.

Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
Head of Immersive Technologies Lab, Research Institute

The high-functioning framework has garnered positive feedback. CrossComm is a collaborative and engaged partner that provides key advice and user training. Customers can expect top-tier development.

I am the head of a technologies lab at a research institute. We work on current VR, AR, and mixed reality technologies.

What challenge were you trying to address with CrossComm?

My team was designing a game and needed to outsource development work.

CrossComm developed an immersive VR framework for a 3D game engine and other applications. They trained my company’s in-house developers to use the framework. We continue to engage CrossComm for other projects.

My team engaged with project managers and a developer.

How did you come to work with CrossComm?

We discovered them online and spoke with some of their managers. They’re also a local company.

We spent between $25,000–$50,000.

My team began working with CrossComm in December 2018. Our partnership is ongoing and we have collaborated on multiple projects.

The framework has received positive feedback and works very well. It has become a valuable internal tool for my team, and we are currently deploying it in several projects.

How did CrossComm perform from a project management standpoint?

CrossComm has provided technical advising, design consultation, and user training. They’ve been responsive to our questions and requests. The team offers frequent progress updates and meets all deadlines.

Their collaborative approach was ideal for this project, and they fulfilled all of our requirements.

Nothing comes to mind. Overall, it was a good experience. I’ve recommended CrossComm to colleagues. They have a lot of offerings.

There is always room for improvement, but they gave us everything we asked for.

Mobile App Dev for Online Journaling Platform

“I’m happy with the product I got for the time and money that I invested.”

Oct. 2018 - Ongoing

CrossComm helped design and develop a native iOS application that lets users write, tag, organize, and search notes based on their content. After user testing and bug fixes, they’ll launch on the App Store.

Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina
Betsy Sheppard
Founder, EAS Ventures LLC

So far, initial users have responded positively to the application’s simple design. CrossComm was a valuable and knowledgeable partner. Through consistent communication and a smooth workflow, they delivered a high-quality solution that met all expectations.

I’m the founder of EAS Ventures LLC. We support positive personal learning and development for both individuals and organizations.

What challenge were you trying to address with CrossComm?

I wanted a tool to support my services. My work is more on the conceptual and abstract end of the spectrum, so I decided to create an app to make the process a bit more concrete. I hired CrossComm to help me built an app that allows my clients to manage their personal change journey through smart journaling.

First, I had a discovery phone call with their senior developer. We discussed my expectations and laid out the scope of work for the project. It was important for us to start on the same page. After that discussion, I met with the CrossComm team in their office to go over the high-level design elements. We wrote out an outline that would act as a set of parameters for the application.

Once we were clear on the design, CrossComm started working on wireframes and storyboards. We went through a few iterations before we landed on something both sides were happy with. After finalizing those elements, the team started coding. It’s a native iOS app. Users can electronically write notes or journal entries on their mobile device, then tag each one based on its content. They can assemble a customized in-app dashboard to manage their notes and search using a series of filters and categories. Basically, the app offers a more organized approach to journaling. We’re going to finish up some internal testing and fix any bugs that arise. Then, the CrossComm team will help me launch it on the App Store.

I work with a project manager and a developer.

How did you come to work with CrossComm?

I searched online for a professional vendor that was based in my area. I wanted to be able to meet in person whenever necessary. I came across CrossComm’s website, which had a chat function. I had a quick real-time conversation with a representative. They were very responsive and had a real personal touch. After a follow-up conversation, I decided to officially partner with their team.

So far, I’ve spent $25,000 on this project.

We started working on this in October 2018, and the project is ongoing.

We haven’t launched the app yet, so we don’t have any concrete results. With that said, initial feedback has been good. Users appreciate the simplicity of the design.

How did CrossComm perform from a project management standpoint?

The workflow was smooth. We had a weekly call to discuss our progress. The CrossComm team met all deadlines and stayed within our budget restrictions.

They made me feel very comfortable. I don’t have a technical background, so their knowledge was instrumental to the success of this project.

No, I can’t think of anything.

Clients should keep their timeframe and budget in mind when setting goals with CrossComm. As a startup, this is very difficult. I wanted things quickly, but I had limited resources. Their team helped me manage my own expectations. I’m happy with the product I got for the time and money that I invested.

They managed a smooth workflow. We spoke regularly.
    They’re very easy to work with.

AR Dev for Customized Augmented Reality Experience Apps

“They always provide the best quality of work and perform above our expectations.”

Apr. 2018 - Ongoing

CrossComm provides ongoing development work to assist the creation of several augmented reality platforms. Past deliverables include a detailed property map for a client’s public AR experience.

Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
Christine Babcock
Co-Founder, Wallcrawls

CrossComm is a team of passionate individuals. They proactively engage development challenges in an effort to deliver high-quality products. As a result, their deliverables frequently amaze clients and first-time users. Their expertise and communicative approach justify the cost.

I’m the co-founder and chief creative officer of Wallcrawls. We provide customized solutions for augmented reality (AR) apps.

What challenge were you trying to address with CrossComm?

We lost our development partner and needed another firm to help complete our projects.

CrossComm uses Unity to create AR experiences and demos for our clients. Instead of just completing assigned tasks, they work with us to strategize and implement the best programs and methodologies to achieve our goals. For example, they assisted in the development of an AR demo for an international hospitality company. After collaborating with us to determine the best solution, they used Unity and ARKit to create a map that pops up and explains aspects of the client’s property.

We work with six or seven members of their team both individually and as a group. This includes their owner, a project manager, a developer, a Unity specialist, and an accountant.

How did you come to work with CrossComm?

I researched development firms online and found their website. I reached out to them and they jumped at the chance to help. We’ve been working together ever since.

We’ve spent roughly between $40,000 and $50,000.

We hired them in April 2018 and the engagement is ongoing.

We have a couple of ongoing projects with them that are in different stages of development and client feedback has been positive across the board. Everyone who sees the products are floored by what CrossComm has created. It’s amazing to watch people experience AR for the first time. Also, they helped us overcome an insane deadline that was imposed on us by another firm. They came to our aid and that demonstrated their character and work ethic.

How did CrossComm perform from a project management standpoint?

Their project manager is awesome. He’s easy to get a hold of and quickly responds to questions. He’s also helped train us on a couple of things so we can be more self-sufficient in the future. Open communication facilitates reasonable expectations on both sides. Our work hasn’t yet necessitated the use of project management tools, so we only communicate via phone and email.

Each individual on their team is passionate about what they do. When we bring an idea or client to them, they immediately start thinking about how to create something awesome. I always know they’ll deliver something great because they’re excited to take on the challenge. As a result, that excitement spreads to our team and the client as well. We continue to work with them because they work quickly, communicate cordially, and they produce remarkable products.

I’d advise their future partners to remember that development takes time. If you want good work, you have to be willing to pay for it and wait for it.

They’ve never let us down.
    They’re a bit expensive, but the results are worth the money.
    They're great.

iOS Mobile App Dev for Cancer Treatment Management Tool

"Of all the companies we considered, they really seemed to care about our project."

Aug. 2017 - Ongoing

CrossComm translated years of research into an iOS app that assists oral cancer patients. App users are able to track symptoms and medication schedules, with data conveyed visually through graphs.

1,001-5,000 Employees

Detroit, Michigan
Felicity Harper
Associate Professor, Wayne State University School of Medicine

Both patients and physicians express excitement over the app, especially its user-friendly layout. CrossComm works collaboratively, with their personal commitment guaranteeing a successful outcome. They often deliver ahead of schedule, and their quality work cemented a long-term partnership.

I’m an associate professor of oncology and a clinical psychologist with the Karmanos Cancer Institute. We're an NCI-designated comprehensive cancer center located at Wayne State University.

What challenge were you trying to address with CrossComm?

I received funding from the NCI to build a mobile app that helps patients monitor side effects and manage their adherence to oral cancer treatments.

I conducted research for several years prior to approaching CrossComm. I provided them with a set of wireframes I had developed with the Office of Technology Transfer at the University of Michigan. I explained the features I wanted to include and we worked collaboratively to outline the app’s specifications.

We worked together on content creation and they then produced a Buddybuild so I could provide feedback throughout the development phase.

I was focused on two key features. First, I wanted patients to be able to compile a detailed report of their symptoms. Based on a list I provided, CrossComm built a function that allows users to monitor the severity and frequency of their symptoms on a daily basis. A similar feature was created for keeping track of medication schedules.

Secondly, I wanted the app to include graphs to convey information in a clear, visual way. The app allows users to toggle between weekly and monthly charts to highlight long-term symptom changes. The graphs also highlight whether patients are adhering to their medications over time.

Patients can show these graphs to their physician, improving the partnership between doctor and patient.

CrossComm submitted our application to the App Store, and while our initial funding applied only to iOS development, we now plan to move forward with an Android version.

I have direct contact with the owner, Don Shin, as well as three or four other members of the team. We also had a chief developer and a chief engineer assigned to our project, depending on the project’s phase.

How did you come to work with CrossComm?

Our university has a mentor-in-residence who assists staff with technology needs. I worked with him throughout my research, and he suggested a number of developers when it came time for production.

While his shortlist primarily focused on local companies, he also included CrossComm after hearing positive things and meeting the owner. I prefer in-person meetings, so I was hesitant to work with a vendor based outside of Michigan. Still, after interviewing every company, it was clear that CrossComm was easily the best option.

Our first build cost $60,000, and the subsequent build is expected to cost $35,000.

I'm in the process of applying for additional funding so that we can add new features and expand the app.

We started working together in August 2017 and our relationship is ongoing.

I presented the app to an oncology group that was blown away. They were really excited about using it with their patients. In fact, audience members made suggestions for improvement throughout my presentation, only to find that we had already included their recommendations.

Patients have also responded positively. They say the app is user-friendly and the graphs are easy to understand.

How did CrossComm perform from a project management standpoint?

I meet Don in-person once a month, with the rest of our communication conducted through phone calls and video conferencing. I’ve also worked with a single contact to coordinate the final stages of the project.

They’re excellent collaborators, listening to your ideas and helping with each stage of development. They're not afraid to give feedback or offer other ideas if they think it can improve the end product.

They also personally invest themselves with their clients to ensure a successful outcome, which speaks volumes about their business philosophy. Of all the companies we considered, they really seemed to care about our project. We were really impressed with that.

Not that I can think of, no. We've been really happy with them.

I was unfamiliar with all the steps involved in creating an app, but CrossComm will explain the process once you develop a relationship.

Overall Score They exceeded our expectations and I'm beyond pleased that I found them for our project.
    Deadlines were always clearly articulated and met, sometimes ahead of schedule.
    They were right in our price range for the skills we needed.
    Their work was top-notch.
    I've recommended them to three other colleagues.

Mobile App Dev for Patient Care Platform

"I'm overwhelmingly impressed with them."

Apr. 2017 - Ongoing

CrossComm developed an iOS mobile app for patient and physician communication. The first round product is complete, and a revised version is planned pending further funding.

Detroit, Michigan
Lauren Hamel
Assistant Professor, Wayne State University and The Karmanos Cancer Institute

The response from patients, physicians, and other health care professionals has been incredibly positive. The team always listened and wanted to meet the vision of the client. They put in 110% and genuinely seemed interested in the project’s success.

I’m an assistant professor at the School of Medicine at Wayne State University and also at the Karmanos Cancer Institute in Detroit. I’m a communication scientist and my research focuses on identifying issues with communication, usually around patients and physicians interactions and then devising interventions to improve them.

What challenge were you trying to address with CrossComm.

I was working on an intervention to improve how patients and physicians talk about treatment cost. I wanted to build an app for patients, where they enter simple demographic information and that populates a list of questions they can ask their doctor or other healthcare providers.

They developed a mobile app for iOS. I came to them with a wireframe, and they were receptive to what I had and they used that to start building a basic version. We went back and forth over the summer where I would give them comments and they would revise the app until we had the final version which was completed in September. Since then, I’ve been performing acceptability testing with different participants and we've encumbered funds. Their team has agreed to wait for me to come back to them in the next month to build a revised version.

The purpose of the app was to make it individually tailorable. They built it so that if a patient enters in a value, such as if they are employed or have a specific type of insurance, then it would prompt the second half of the app for a specific list of questions. That's conditional logic and they were able to do that very efficiently.

I usually work with Don [Founder & President, CrossComm] who is my main point of contact. I’ve also worked with the rest of his team and we’ve spoken over the phone, but I haven’t been in contact with them in the same way.

How did you come to work with CrossComm?

I first started working on the project about a year and a half ago and met with several local development firms. They were astronomically overpriced and I couldn’t swing it. I started looking towards free resources in the area and built a basic model. I met with three other companies before I met with CrossComm, and one of them was really fantastic but also very expensive. The other two were more economically priced, but they didn’t seem to listen well.

We have a tech mentor in residence as part of the university who knew of Don’s work, and that’s how I came to be in contact with him. The first time I spoke with CrossComm was over a conference call with Don and one of his colleagues. They listened and were able to decipher what I was trying to get with the app idea, and it was very clear especially compared to the other groups. They seemed genuinely interested in what I was trying to do. They spent the majority of the phone call asking me questions, not telling me about what they can do, which was helpful. It started a solid relationship because they took the time to listen and figure out what I wanted, before asking their own questions.

About $30,000, however, we’ve uncovered another $35,000 to be spent in the coming year. It’s promised, but the services haven’t been arranged yet.

We started working together in April 2017, with the first deliverable products in August. The engagement is ongoing.

I've been collecting qualitative interviews. I’ve had about 10 people review the app, including several cancer survivors, oncologists, a social worker, and a financial navigator. I sat down and have gone through every piece of it. Overwhelmingly, people have been impressed with how reliable the design, the feel, and the navigation are. I’ve gotten no comments or critiques for improvement and I have also not experienced any crashes in software at this point.

How did CrossComm perform from a project management standpoint?

Overall, they’re run very efficiently. During the thick of the development, we had weekly meetings set-up with Don. He was consistent and responsive during those times; when I would send a message, I would get a reply right away. Their method of listening first and asking questions like in our first meeting continued. If they see a better way to go about something, they present it as an option, rather than changing what we’re doing.

In addition to their efficiency and having a good product, what struck me most is when I had my first face-to-face meeting with Don. He was very candid in wanting to produce work that was socially meaningful. He’s taken on my project, he’s working with two other faculty members in our group, and then we’re talking about maybe taking on another project in the upcoming months. He seems to be into the mission. It doesn’t feel like we’re customers to him, but he seems to be engaging and putting his whole weight behind the projects. I didn't expect that, and it's really made us all want to keep working with them.

No. I'm overwhelmingly impressed with them, with Don specifically. I can’t think of anything.

If you’re just starting out, look for a company that spends more time asking you questions rather than telling you things.

Overall Score It’s been a pleasure from start to finish.
    The meeting schedule was always packed, and more often than not it he is on deadline.
    Really high value for your money.
    The app they provided was beautiful, user friendly, and easily navigable.
    I already have.

Mobile App Dev for Medical Research Data Collection Platform

"CrossComm is flexible enough to work with busy surgeons."

Sept. 2016 - Ongoing

CrossComm created a medical research mobile app and website from scratch, developing a customized solution to track real-time usage and user interactions. They now provide hosting and repairs.

1,001-5,000 Employees

North Carolina
Surgical Resident, Hospital

The coded iOS product boasts a user-friendly interface and intuitive navigation, capturing target data accurately and consistently. CrossComm’s accommodating workflow, seamless designs, and hands-on approach continue to strengthen the partnership.

I’m a general surgery resident currently doing research in surgical education.

What challenge were you trying to address with CrossComm?

In education research, we often do an intervention and then measure the effect afterward, but we have to be able to measure that we actually achieved our intervention in the first place.

We are looking at auditory learners who underperform when they start residency, seeing if giving them a podcast could improve their test score. The only problem is most third-party out-of-the-box solutions only count downloads, which is unacceptable from a research standpoint.

We had to build something that could track real-time usage (down to minutes) and interactions with the content to improve our understanding of e-learning and its impact on test performance.

We looked at making an app for iOS and Android, but ultimately our price point only let us do iOS. Right now, we have very few Android users in our department.

CrossComm worked from beginning to end in terms of building the app, moving the branding and interface, and working with the IT and legal teams at our institution. They set up the server on the backend, as well as all the accounts and data collection fields that I needed. They made a website where we can log in and pull those reports, load podcasts, and add metadata to those podcasts.

We just reached deployment, and they’re going to be helping us for the year as we troubleshoot the product. Knowing our educational interests, they also invited our education group to try virtual reality products, which was nice.

I mostly worked with Sam [Senior Developer, CrossComm] and Justin. The owner also attended our meetings from time to time.

How did you come to work with CrossComm?

Our contracting person solicited proposals from different companies, including our own internal proposal. We wanted someone who was able to deliver all the things that we needed, but being local to us was really the biggest factor.

How much have you invested with CrossComm?

I think we’ve spent close to $100,000.

We started working with them in either August or September of 2016. We still are working with them because we haven’t rolled out the product yet due to some issues. They handed over the code to our IT people, but we still need help with hosting. When the app goes live and I have all the data, they’ll make sure everything runs smoothly.

Other than the actual product’s completion, I can’t think of any statistics or metrics. As far as qualitative feedback, people think the user interface is seamless. The app is able to capture the data we want, but it’s also user-friendly. We’re able to post the podcasts and organize them in a clear way.

Also, the website they made was really simple and had all the features we need. I can get the data I’m looking for, which is the most important piece.

How did CrossComm perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re excellent. CrossComm is flexible enough to work with busy surgeons, which isn’t easy. They were willing to do a conference call, meet us, or do anything that we needed outside of their normal hours to accommodate us.

Everything went smoothly. They usually were waiting for us to finish our pieces, but they never seemed pushy. They just gave us gentle reminders to move the project along. Sam kept us informed and moved everything along.

What did you find most impressive about CrossComm?

Their owner is actually pretty hands-on and seems invested in this project. Many people at my institution aren’t really tech savvy, so having an end product that they can use easily is an achievement.

Are there any areas CrossComm could improve?

No, everything went well.

Overall Score The work was seamless. They’re very supportive and understanding.
    They were always ahead of our schedule.
    Their proposal was in the middle of the quote or on the higher end.
    The app does exactly what we wanted. Even though we didn’t really know how to communicate all the parts that we needed, they were able to translate our ideas and optimize them.

Web and App Partnership for Financial Services Company

"I wanted to hire a partner with an idea of what's going on in the market, one who would challenge my own theories, practices, and beliefs—CrossComm did this."

CrossComm has partnered on 7+ projects with this client including the development of a mobile app, website, and custom content management system.

Head of Marketing, Financial Services Company

CrossComm's work has brought a sense of innovation to the client's traditional market, this client spotlights most CrossComm's creativity and ingenuity.

‎Our company is a broker of credit card insurance products and services for every major bank in the country, as well as some worldwide institutions. We handle auto rental insurance, concierge services, purchase protection and security, and many services which people don't realize are present on their credit cards. We also provide backend resources like third-party administration for claims, customer service inquiries, and so on. We manage anything related to the life-cycle of credit card benefits or enhancements.

I am the head of the marketing department for the company, handling traditional marketing efforts like research analysis and development. I am also in charge of product development, having a technological background. I work in a variety of different capacities, building technological platforms, from the reporting tools used by our clients to front-facing apps for card holders.

What challenge were you trying to address with CrossComm?

We wanted to create a couple of initiatives, including some API-type solutions that our customers could access. We had the database, information, and methodology for migrating from traditional wired processes to easily-accessible environments, but the development itself was outside of our internal team's scope.

CrossComm has been a part of our organization through 7-10 major projects, over the course of our relationship, including mobile app and website development, rebuilding our entire page in a way that allowed us to continue modifications through a custom content management system.

How did you come to work with CrossComm?

We were first made aware of CrossComm through a referral. They were up against 3 other companies for which we did our homework. CrossComm's team was able to beat out people I'd worked with for years.

In the commodity-driven business in which companies like CrossComm operate, the distinguishing factor isn't just the ability to code. Having been a coder myself, I know that the partner's ability to listen and understand what the client wants is essential. This was the distinguishing factor for selecting CrossComm.

Our particular perspective was important in assessing the things that were important for the choice. From an operational perspective (being able to hit goals and stick to our budget), CrossComm's principal demonstrated that they could handle our project. We wanted to be challenged and have different perspectives brought forth so that we could be pushed in a successful direction. During the interview process, CrossComm asked detailed questions and made sure that we knew what we wanted. I wanted to hire a partner with an idea of what's going on in the market, one who would challenge my own theories, practices, and beliefs—CrossComm did this.

We also looked at their portfolio, assessing the things they'd done in the past which could be considered relevant to our case. While CrossComm had never worked in the insurance space or with banks, there were many other examples of the challenges they'd faced, and how they overcame those. There are many good programmers out there, but I wanted to have the right communication in place.

How much have you invested with CrossComm?

We've had a wide range of projects with CrossComm, from $3,000 to $10,000 ones, as well as projects with a minimum cost of $30,000. Our highest project is close to $100,000.

CrossComm has been developing products for our company for the past 10 years.

CrossComm has built a mobile app which allowed our customers to review their benefits and interact with that information directly. It was an enormous success within all the banks we work with. Our biggest goal was to present ourselves as innovators.

Insurance can be extremely boring, so in order to elevate the appeal to consumers, we needed to build an API that would showcase their benefits, allowing them to make better consumer choices. We created a nice customer-loyalty environment for banks as a result.

What did you find most impressive about CrossComm?

CrossComm's principal and team follow a culture of listening to and interacting with clients. There has been a number of people who've participated in our project. Every one of them has taken the time to listen, ask questions, and thoroughly understand what we were trying to accomplish. In doing so, they became comfortable in challenging any positions we may have held. This was done not in their own interest or success, but for the success of the project. The mantra of CrossComm's principal is that our success is his, which is not a cliché for him. Having worked in development for 30 years, I've come to the realization that how well a person can code matters less than their ability to understand a project, bring creative solutions to it, and think differently. CrossComm's team can certainly work in a robotic manner if needed, but it would be a shame if an organization was to hire them just to code. They're smart people.

Are there any areas CrossComm could improve?

There's nothing that comes to mind that CrossComm would need to work on; they've done an excellent job. I wish CrossComm could come to Chicago more often, given that I enjoy our interactions, but this is more to do with our budget.

Overall Score Things can always be better.
    CrossComm has reasonable costs, but I always want the price to be a little lower.
    There's always something more to shoot for, so I'm not rating CrossComm a perfect 5.

Web Based Solution for Management Consulting Firm

"It wasn’t a matter of money; it was a matter of finding a team that we felt comfortable with..."

CrossComm was brought in to build a web-based application that was built off of this client's existing database for systematic literature review.

Washing DC Metro Area
Head of Business Development, Professional Services Firm

The project is currently in testing phases. CrossComm's aptitude and understanding of the complicated database was most important in the selection of CrossComm as a partner.

We are a professional services firm. I am in charge of business development for our data science and survey research group.

What challenge were you trying to address with CrossComm?

We had developed a database for systematic literature review. It was a tool that we were using and we wanted to take it and turn it into a web-based application. We contracted with CrossComm to turn it into a web-based tool for systematic literature review.

They did all of the development work. We served as the business manager in the design work to give them input on what was needed and to verify the solutions that they proposed.

How did you come to work with CrossComm?

We did a competitive bid process. The bids we received were all within a competitive range. It wasn’t a matter of money; it was a matter of finding a team that we felt comfortable with, and knowing it was going to be a small team that was dedicated to working with us and knowing that they had an interest and an aptitude to understand the science and the logic behind systematic literature review. For us, the application is really complicated. It was critical that they be willing to dive in and learn about systematic literature review and that they really understand it so they could help us develop the best tool.

How much have you invested with CrossComm?

We have invested $200,000 to $300,000.

We started in 2014.

We’re still in the testing phase.

What did you find most impressive about CrossComm?

We worked primarily with Sean Doherty, and his ability to understand really complicated things and then to implement them quickly has been awesome.

They developed a really complicated application for us and the implementation is very easy for the user. It’s a great user experience at this point, which definitely simplifies the complexity, and that’s what we were going for.

App Development for Forbes Media

"We had developed a real level of trust. I never had to second guess their estimates."

CrossComm has partnered with Forbes over many projects, the core of the projects delivered were focused on native mobile applications.

Salah Zalatimo
Head of Product, Forbes

The app built for Forbes was quickly replicated and knocked off, this client points to the imitation of the app as one of the best indicators that it was successful.

Forbes Media is a news publisher with a print magazine and an online site. I am the head of products.

What challenge were you trying to address with CrossComm?

We worked with them several times over the past several years. They were brought in to build custom native apps for us. We were building a new app and they built it for us.

They worked on our native iOS apps. I know they’ve worked on two projects for sure and potentially a third.

How did you come to work with CrossComm?

We’d been working with them for four years, so their relationship with Forbes predated my joining Forbes. I met them through colleagues here at Forbes.

How much have you invested with CrossComm?

We have invested $200,000 plus.

The app they built served as a basis for other knockoffs of that app. It played a very foundational role in our whole mobile product group.

What did you find most impressive about CrossComm?

They were always very forthcoming and straightforward with any challenges. I felt they were always being candid about what was and wasn’t possible and when they could and couldn’t deliver certain things. We had developed a real level of trust. I never had to second guess their estimates. I never felt like they were trying to string us along or extract more fees out of us. Especially with a contracting developer and company relationship, you feel like you’re always kind of on the defensive side and looking for areas where you’re being gouged. They did not do that at all. Their role in keeping us up to date, communicating at just the right level, and being very transparent was refreshing.

Are there any areas CrossComm could improve?

No. I think they did a great job.

Apple Watch App Development for Healthcare Industry

"Their words were matched by their actions. You can’t beat that."

In a tight 8 week time frame, CrossComm helped to augment this client's technology team and integrate deeper messaging functionalities.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Product Lead, Healthcare Company

At the time of this project the Apple Watch was new to the market, CrossComm's ability to work with new hardware and their innovation standout for the client.

We’re in the healthcare space and we provide software that helps patients connect with their doctor’s offices across the United States. I lead the product teams on our mobile applications and our APIs.

What challenge were you trying to address with CrossComm?

We spent time getting ready for an annual conference that’s a big deal in our business and in the vertical that we serve. We wanted to get something prepped for the Apple Watch, which was just being released. We didn’t have the extra resources and capacity to go approach it, so in order to help meet our conference deadline, as well as some of the internal commitments we had on the calendar, we reached out to them to help us fill that gap for our product.

We were focused on mobile apps for both iOS and Android, and the Neon Apple watches for iOS. We engaged them to help us expand some of the notification messaging resources that we wanted to put in play and have show up on the hardware. We were able to engage them on short notice and ask them to take on new technology as well as a new piece of hardware that hadn’t been released yet, and really get up to speed with our team very quickly. It was around a week. They stepped in and acted as a complement to our team and they helped us write some additional extensions to our product so we could integrate with the watch and drive certain education workflows around the user experience. All in all, it was full stack integration of a third party agency and they got up to speed really quick and worked really well with our team, which was solid.

How did you come to work with CrossComm?

We didn’t know about them. We had engaged another agency that we were familiar with and were in the process working with them. However, they ended up having a change in plans relative to their schedule and resources. As a result, I asked them for recommendations. They got back to me with a couple of recommendations and CrossComm was the top one. I reached out to them and was incredibly thankful for them. We connected much better from a principal standpoint and how we wanted to work. So it was a fortuitous situation for us to get in contact with them. They’re great individuals to work with. They’re very principled, thorough, and direct, they get the work done, and they do quality work too.

How much have you invested with CrossComm?

A little bit under $80,000.

We were fully engaged for about eight weeks. They helped us get what we needed to be delivered within a six-week timeline.

A lot of the focus for us with the watch was really less about being metric driven and more about storytelling and having a more cutting edge look. For us, it was that we were really at the availability of the hardware and that it was an extension of our application in the healthcare space, which is traditionally not thought of as very innovative. It was a way for us to have a better story around the technology and the problem that we were solving in the industry, and showing that this was now available from our company.

What did you find most impressive about CrossComm?

They’ve got good people. They listen really well. What I appreciated most about working with both of them was that they knew what they were good at and they were very forthright in saying, “Here’s where we can be complimentary to your business and your team and why we’d be a good fit, and here’s where you should not use us.” Being up front with us on the tight timeline helped us get to an agreement very quickly and I think, had it been another opportunity, we could’ve gotten a no very quickly. I valued that they did not waste our time. When we got to a yes very quickly, and they moved very fast to figure out exactly how they would fit into our process and into our team. That was what was awesome. Their words were matched by their actions. You can’t beat that. It was great overall and in general a very solid experience.

Are there any areas CrossComm could improve?

I’ve given this feedback to both Justin and Sean. It wasn’t always obvious where they could be super strong. They tend to be a jack-of-all-trades. We wanted them to tell us what they love and what they’re passionate about. It’s one thing to have the tool in your toolbox, but what do you really like to do and where can you be most effective can be different. By having that dialogue with them, they were able to share what they love to do. When we can dive into these opportunities and these kinds of technologies, we feel like we excel a whole lot further than in these other areas. It was really diversifying to see where they can be most effective with their clients and the problems they can help solve, which is quite a bit. But it’s about having that upfront attitude and being available when they discuss those type of opportunities with customers.

Overall Score Great guys and a great company to work for.
    They had no reason to say yes given the schedule we gave them, and they still said yes.
    They had come in well under our budget. They were also very good at keeping the communication lines open while advancing toward the scope of the project. Contractually, they hit on all the right points there.
    Even though it was new technology and new hardware that none of us could touch, I think given the constraints, they embraced it really well.