Deeply engaging interactive experiences

We create deeply engaging interactive experiences that connect you with your customers.

We do this across a range of media and devices – from mobile applications, websites and games to virtual reality experiences and enterprise software.

Our highly experienced team of strategists, designers, developers and project managers combined with our wide range of in-house technical capabilities and strategic insight gives us the breadth of knowledge to ensure that the software we produce always meets the needs of the end-user and is built on the most-appropriate technology.

Together our cross-sector expertise, user-centred design approach, technical capability and agile project management combine to ensure that the projects we deliver are always useable, reliable and provide outstanding value for money.

2003
Corporation Pop
21-23 Shudehill
Manchester M4 2AF

NHS, BBC, Channel 4, UNILAD, Cyber Security Challenge, British Council, Live Nation, Future PLC, Study Group

'Step in to the Future' for Future PLC

We created an immersive 3D mobile virtual reality experience that enabled a global publishing group to take their brand story on the road and showcase their diverse portfolio to their media buying clients…

'Success' for NCUK

Reaching teenagers in China, Nigeria and South Korea with an HTML5 advergame, delivered to Sina Weibo and Facebook…

'Lives At War' for The Heritage Lottery Fund

This Unity 3D educational game for schoolchildren enables them to step in to a 3D virtual environment that recreates the streets of Brighton during World War 2. Here they can discover what wartime life was like for its citizens…

'Dazzle It' for 1418 NOW

Using the latest marker-less augmented reality technology, 3D models and artwork by Sir Peter Blake, our 'Dazzle It' mobile app for Android and iOS brings the amazing story of Dazzle Ships to life…

'Study Work Create' for The British Council

When the British Council asked us to help them promote opportunities for young people overseas we came up with this fiendishly difficult Facebook game that tests the player's knowledge of different cultures around the world.

App Development for Sports Network

"They’re more passionate about the project than about saving time."

Nov. 2016 - Apr. 2017

Corporation Pop created a sports app prototype for both iOS and Android. Core tasks include branding and frontend and backend dev. They’ll soon tackle the full development of the app.

Marcus Burnett
CEO, MRB Sports Hub Ltd.

The passionate focus that Corporation Pop has regarding user experience has resulted in a prototype that has received a lot of positive interest despite not being public yet. The results they deliver are worth the money.

The company is MRB Sports Hub. I’m the CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with Corporation Pop?

We’re developing a series of sports network apps.

Corporation Pop took the project from ideation and will take care of the development as well. They’ve handled the branding which turned out fantastic and they’ve designed the way it looks and feels. They finished the prototype for me and will be working on the iOS and Android app soon. They used Apache Cordova to build the app in order to keep the price down. They were very flexible and we have no complaints about the result.

How did you come to work with Corporation Pop?

I contacted a few developers to get an idea of the price. I contacted one company that was too expensive, but they gave me some names of some companies they’d worked with who were really good. I called Corporation Pop and told them my idea which they seemed really keen on. I went in for a meeting and saw that their offices are really nice. They showed me other projects they had worked on, which were all fantastic. They seemed open to suggestions and wanted to work with me. They were reasonable on price as well. They started working on the project the next week.

How much have you invested with Corporation Pop?

We spent £40,000 [US $ 51,504].

We started working with them in November 2016, and the prototype was finished in April 2017.

We’ve gotten good feedback so far from people in the market who are interested in the product. They say it looks great. It hasn’t been released to the public yet, though.

How did Corporation Pop form from a project management standpoint?

They’re fantastic. They kept me updated every week. If there was something I needed that was going to delay the project and go over the budget, they weren’t bothered. They’re more passionate about the project than about saving time. It ended up helping the final design.

What did you find most impressive about Corporation Pop?

From the moment they started, the project was based on user experience. They create the app based on what the user would want. Everything they did was focused on the user, which I think is fantastic.

Are there any areas Corporation Pop could improve?

No. Everything has been fine. I have no complaints.

One of the developers was ill and we went a few days over the deadline.
    It was a lot of money but the results were worth it.
    There’s no fault to be found.
    It depends if they’re willing to spend that kind of money. If they are, I would definitely recommend them.

Software Development for Messaging App

"Corporation Pop's overall quality, the level of care, and pride in their work are extremely high."

July 2015 - Mar. 2017

The client brought their innovative idea of combining a messaging app with a product purchasing feature to Corporation Pop, who handled the app's full development from the backend architecture to the frontend design.

Paul Wickers
CEO, Huggg

Corporation Pop brings a personable element to their projects that makes them easy and enjoyable to work with. They do well with translating the more technical components of development projects in a way that their clients can understand.

I’m the CEO of a two-year-old tech company called Huggg. We developed a platform enabling one user to message another but where they can attach a real live product to it. The message could be as simple as saying, “Thank you for what you did for me today. Here’s coffee on me,” and you bought them a coffee from a local coffee shop.

What challenge were you trying to address with Corporation Pop?

The actual starting point was whether it was even technically feasible to write software that could do what we needed it to do. Corporation Pop has taken us from an idea to a fully-fledged business with funding, investors, and everything in between. We’ve stayed with Corporation Pop throughout that entire process.

I am not very technical, so the challenge I had at the outset was working with a technical team that could do this. I had a lot of commercial knowledge about what could be achieved with technology, but absolutely no idea where to start and create that. Corporation Pop did the frontend design, backend architecture, and everything in between. Nobody else has touched it.

As for programming languages, I would have to go back to Corporation Pop to understand better. My working relationship with them is such that I haven’t needed to know the technical details. All I know is that we test the app every time we get a new bill, we talk about what it does from a consumer perspective, and they go and fix it technically.

In total, there’s been one project manager, one lead developer, one lead designer, one UX [user experience] and wireframes expert, and another 3–5 people involved in the project at various times.

How did you come to work with Corporation Pop?

At the outset, I used Google. I found three development companies in my local area who had a background in developing apps. Of the three, Corporation Pop were the only ones who actually gave me the proper time to listen to what I wanted to achieve and take a long-term view on where it might get to.

We've invested $200,000.

It’s almost been a two-year project. It started in July 2015 and completed in March 2017. In fact, it will get signed off tomorrow. However, it will never be fully completed.

The very first time we took our app into the public marketplace, where it matched a business seller with a consumer user, it attracted five different investors. We are going to launch it with ten selling partners, some of which are large UK food and beverage brands that wouldn’t normally back a startup idea before it even launched. When we first took it into the food & beverage industry, we won an innovation award at that trade show.

How did Corporation Pop perform from a project management standpoint?

Project management was very strong. There was good communication, visibility of management, and hitting of time scales. They always avoid overpromising.

What did you find most impressive about Corporation Pop?

Their people are very personable. Lots of development companies will have people who are technically good but have poor interpersonal skills. Corporation Pop is good at translating what a person wants into what is technically capable and bridging the gap between being personable and technical at the same time. They spend a lot of time finding developers that can fit that mold.

Are there any areas Corporation Pop could improve?

This is not an area of improvement—I understand why this happens, but it sometimes can feel like it’s easy to rack up expenses quickly. I know not all time gets charged, but it feels like they are hot on making sure that every time they are doing something, they are charging for it, which I suppose is just good business sense.

Corporation Pop never missed a deadline.
    I don’t have a huge amount to compare it against, but Corporation Pop sometimes feels reassuringly expensive; unapologetically charging for quality work. A cheaper overseas option could probably be a huge false economy.
    I would recommend Corporation Pop without hesitation.

Website Design for Electronic Music Festival

"They are so personable and friendly. They really do not feel like just an agency."

Spanning multiple years, Corporation Pop has partnered with the client to deliver graphic design and creative work. Most recently, they did a full redesign of their website to boost sales and refresh the look and feel of its content.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Andy Owen
Head of Digital & Creative, Cream Group Ltd.

Corporation Pop is more than just a business partner - they are a friend and an extension of the team. Rapid deadlines leave them unphased and they pull out all the stops to make sure the business need is met.

Cream is based in Liverpool and operates in the live and electronic music sector. We deliver festivals, concerts, and events throughout the UK, Europe, and further afield. Creamfields is our major UK festival, with 70,000 people attending each year. My role is Head of Digital and Creative. I’m responsible for everything from our web development and design through to the look and feel of the festivals and shows we put on.

What challenge were you trying to address with Corporation Pop?

I have been working with Corporation Pop for some years now. The most recent challenge has been a complete redesign of our main festival website creamfields.com, which we had outgrown. It needed a refresh. Aside from being three years out of date, the site was confusing for users to navigate. Information was lost on third and fourth level pages. We also wanted the update for commercial reasons: to sell more tickets. That was the challenge and the brief I sent them for our latest project.

The new website is based on WordPress since our previous sites were on WordPress and it works well for us. Because of the amount of content added, we were keen on keeping the same content management system. Rather than look for a new CMS, we wanted to retain the backend our editors are familiar with. It used to be based on an Apache web server, but crashed every time we launched the festival lineup. That was one of the other challenges—making sure that the website stayed up. Corporation Pop shifted the host and platform across to NGINX, which was much more stable. They also looked at tech setups, going from a single dedicated server to a couple of distributed servers with a low balance between them.

Corporation Pop has become an extension of the team. They still do work on our web graphics, poster design, print design, web banners, and main campaign artwork and creative. We have some in-house staff that does artwork rollout, but the creative comes from Corporation Pop.

How did you come to work with Corporation Pop?

It was through a recommendation. We were looking for companies to pitch, and the reference came up with a name we should be talking to. We are based in Liverpool and they are in Manchester, so they are handy geographically. We put out the artwork to pitch to four agencies at the time. Corporation Pop won the pitch and then pitched again three years in a row. After those three years, we ended up not bothering with the pitch process because they understood our needs. We decided to build a relationship with them. It’s like having an extended business partner rather than having to go out and re-pitch and recommission somebody every year. We found an agency that just got what we were doing, saving us a lot of time.

How much have you invested with Corporation Pop?

It’s been over £250,000 pounds [over $312,275].

We started working with Corporation Pop from a graphic design perspective nine years ago. That relationship has continued.

I think the starkest, factual recent example is the uplift in ticket sales of creamfields.com. Web traffic has been up 30% year-on-year. Our sales have a similar uplift. Obviously, there’s marketing activity, but a large part of that is due to the development of the new site and the services they delivered. Corporation Pop have been helpful with the technical side of things, helping us to deal with challenges. We tend to get hit with lots of traffic all at once in a couple of periods throughout the year. Just recently, they helped us manage a peak season without any issues, which is great. When we set a brief or ask for a project, if I’m not happy with it I get back to them. They would work on it until we are happy with it.

How did Corporation Pop perform from a project management standpoint?

It’s been interesting because the design relationship is quite different from the web relationship. It’s quite informal. I work closely with Dan, their Creative Director, on the design side of things. We rarely send a written brief these days; it tends to be a quick phone call.

We tend to have things jump on us quite unpredictably. While other agencies weren't able to manage quick deadlines, Corporation Pop pulls out all the stops and makes sure it happens.

During the web project, which was our first time working on a web design project with them, it was a case of learning their tools and raising tickets and working to an Agile design methodology. There was more of a process to it, and that suited the project well.  However, they adapt the way they work, depending on the project. From a design point of view, it’s very informal because of their nine years of experience with us. On the web side of things, they were agile. I’d raise a ticket with a request, and it would be answered within a few days. I was happy with the way it was managed.

What did you find most impressive about Corporation Pop?

They are so personable and friendly. They really do not feel like just an agency. They pull in favors occasionally, such as working late when we’ve got a deadline. They’re always ready to make sure what we’re delivering is what they’re delivering. Dan comes to our festival every year, so he has an intimate knowledge of what the festival is about. For me, that’s going over and above. I don’t know whether there are many design creative directors who’d come to a festival to see that they’re still delivering in terms of the artwork and so on. That’s the difference. Dan and I became friends over the years outside of work, so there’s a good relationship there.

Are there any areas Corporation Pop could improve?

To be honest with you, no, or I would be looking for another agency. I’m genuinely happy with them.

Overall Score They’ve been fantastic. The fact is, we've been with them for seven years. They won the pitch without any bias and delivered three years in a row, which speaks volumes.
    They are brilliant. If anything, they deliver in advance.
    They are good. For example, I wouldn’t use them for small artwork rollout, but they are very good at high-end creative.
    Ultimately, the quality is always there, and it’s always what we are expecting.
    Without hesitation.

VR Experience for Global Media Company

"The thing that’s most impressive about Corporation Pop is their attitude and professionalism."

May - Sept. 2016

Corporation Pop designed a virtual reality experience that delves its users into the client's business environment and gives them a perspective of the future of technology, music, and gaming.

Nada Khalil
Head of Brand Marketing, Future plc

Their creative mindset is what makes Corporation Pop truly shine. They are cognizant of industry trends and create experiences that inspire imagination.

Future plc is a global media company. We publish a suite of specialized websites, magazines, and event experiences. These are in sectors like technology, gaming, creative and design, music, photography, and film. My role is head of brand and trade marketing. I work with various teams to support brand marketing efforts and corporate communication.

What challenge were you trying to address with Corporation Pop?

We wanted to create awareness of our proposition and positioning in the market in a way that was innovative.

The project we worked on with Corporation Pop was a virtual reality experience. It takes the user on a journey into our business environment. With it, users can examine the future of technology, gaming, music, and the other sectors we cover. Corporation Pop designed and built the experience, and they lead the project from a creative perspective. It was their main project with us. It was created for a series of events and as a general marketing tool.

How did you come to work with Corporation Pop?

Someone within the business knew Corporation Pop. We got in touch with them via that referral.

How much have you invested with Corporation Pop?

We’ve invested roughly £50,000 [$61,000] in Corporation Pop’s services.

We started developing the idea with Corporation Pop in May 2016. The project was completed in September 2016.

We’re measuring the main result of the project in terms of feedback, which has been positive within the business. Our clients see it as an innovative effort that is engaging and different. We’ve also taken it to a couple of events we’ve attended. Corporation Pop’s work with us definitely has helped to create an innovative perception of our business. However, there isn’t a hard, specific metric attributable to the project.

How did Corporation Pop perform from a project management standpoint?

Corporation Pop performs well from a project management standpoint. They had a dedicated project manager for us, and we met weekly over the phone.

What did you find most impressive about Corporation Pop?

The thing that’s most impressive about Corporation Pop is their attitude and professionalism. They’re also quite on top of what’s happening in the industry. Dom, who runs the company, is creative and nice to work with. All of their employees were incredibly pleasant throughout the process. We visited their offices, and the work they’re doing beyond our project is really inspiring and interesting.

Are there any areas Corporation Pop could improve?

I can't think of any way Corporation Pop could have improved on our specific project.

Overall Score We’ve had a positive experience working with Corporation Pop.
    Corporation Pop met all the deadlines.
    For projects like ours, it’s sometimes hard to look at return on investment.

App Dev for UNILAD Social Media Platform

"Their design is premium and on point, but I think the user experience side of things is where they stand out."

Sept. 2015 - Jan. 2016

To ease the accessibility of their content for users, the client relied on Corporation Pop to develop the frontend and backend of a mobile app for iOS and Android. They also handled the app's graphic design, as inspired by a simple vision.

Sam Bentley
CEO, UNILAD

The team at Corporation Pop are experts in user experience. Since the app's launch, it has been downloaded more than 100,000 times and has a high ranking in the Apple store.

I’m the CEO of UNILAD, a social media publishing platform that specializes in breaking news and trending content around the world.

What challenge were you trying to address with Corporation Pop?

Corporation Pop helped develop an app as another way for our fan base to be able to access our content in a more user-friendly format. They wouldn’t have to go to Facebook and then through the UNILAD page to find content or have to go through a web browser and then to our website to look something up. The app was a quick way for them to get content from us.

Corporation Pop did everything. They have in-house designers, so they did the graphic design, backend, and frontend. I only helped inform the design. If you don’t have any design experience, they can take it off your hands, take your ideas, and make it from scratch. Luckily, I did have a vision for the app so that helped take away a little bit of weight off their shoulders when it came to the design. From our Google Analytics traffic, we had a split between iOS and Android users, so we decided it was worth doing the app for both Android and iOS.

How did you come to work with Corporation Pop?

They were actually in the office above our old office. We passed them on the stairs every day. When we eventually started to look for app development, a couple of companies gave us quotes, which were all around the same figure. However, I thought of the efficiency with Corporation Pop being upstairs, and the easiness for having meetings. They seemed like trustworthy people and their service was of good quality, so I gave them a shot.

How much have you invested with Corporation Pop?

It came out to be €35,000 [USD $37,125].

We started working with them in September 2015 and completed the work in January 2016. There were delays—some that we could have quickened up, but others we couldn’t due to the holiday season.

On the week we launched, we made it to the top 10 news apps on the App Store, which was cool. We also got a lot of app downloads—over 100,000.

How did Corporation Pop perform from a project management standpoint?

It was absolutely fine. They were efficient and friendly people. Sally was the project manager, and she was really pleasant. Resource-wise, I was just overseeing the project. I probably should have had a project manager on my end to keep things flowing. I was overwhelmed with my work as it is, so adding the project slowed down the process and led to delays. But having said this, they did a good job. I haven’t had much experience with project managers before, so I didn’t have much to compare it to. They’re the first app company that I’ve worked with, and it went well.

What did you most impressive about Corporation Pop?

They’re experts in user experience. If there’s something you design in Photoshop, they analyze it and say, “That’s not going to work because you’re going to try to slide that, and that’s not going to make this thing work.” Their design is premium and on point, but I think the user experience side of things is where they stand out. They’re not scared to talk to people with big budgets. They can have big clients come to them with all these proposals, and they’ll say when something is not going to work.

Are there any areas Corporation Pop could improve?

I can’t think of anything. Everything was all right.

Overall Score Although it took longer than expected, they got the job done and it was done well.
    Some deadlines didn’t get hit. I think they underestimated some on their side. While I am willing to take responsibility for my end, I feel like both sides could’ve been better at predicting how long certain stuff would take.
    It was expensive, so it wasn’t a super value for my money. But at the same time, it was a product that worked. I feel like we got what we paid for, but I don’t feel like we paid and got something better than what we thought we were going to get.
    Even though I couldn’t say they could do this better, there is stuff that others could say that can be done better. However, the experience as a whole was really good.
    I would definitely recommend them but only to people with quite a big budget. For people with smaller budgets, go to a different organization or look at different ways to make apps.

Mobile App Development for Independent Marketing Company

"Creatively, the app built by Corporation Pop has pushed beyond what we imagined at first."

2007 - Apr. 2016

Corporation Pop designed and developed an arts-focused mobile app using augmented reality which allows users to design 3D models. The app is available on Android and iOS and is accompanied by a website.

London, UK
Janice White
Owner, The Cogency

The app helped to extend the audience of the art project. Despite complicated elements in the development, the app has all functionalities requested and is beyond original expectations. Corporation Pop remained flexible and accommodating and went the extra mile.

I’m a director of The Cogency, which is an arts marketing company based in the UK. We do marketing for arts events, venues, and festivals across the UK.

What challenge were you trying to address with Corporation Pop?

We were looking to develop a creative digital idea for our project called 14-18 NOW, which is the UK’s arts program for the World War I Centenary. It’s a five-year program which began in 2014 and runs until November of 2018. Within that program, there’s a specific project called Dazzle Ships. It is a modern-day recreation of the dazzle ships from WWI, with international artists turning ships into floating works of art. We commissioned Corporation Pop to create a digital manifestation of that project, which is the app.

Corporation Pop was instrumental in helping us shape the idea of what the app was going to be. Corporation Pop used augmented reality to make the final product even more exciting that we initially envisioned. We worked with Corporation Pop to develop the app, through the wireframe stage, user experience, and design. Corporation Pop built and fully tested the app for us, and launched it on both Android and iOS. Corporation Pop also supported us regarding marketing and copywriting. We worked with one main developer and designer; however, Corporation Pop provided a wider team that included a project manager as well.

Our main goal was to create an app that’s engaging in its own right, but also allows the user to learn about the history behind the Dazzle Ships project. Corporation Pop created 3D models of each ship and other visual objects the user could “dazzle.” Users can create their patterns within the app; then the augmented reality allows them to wrap the pattern around the 3D model and take a photo of it. It is shareable and encourages users to create a gallery of new dazzles.

Corporation Pop also created a website that profiled both the app and the featured ships. The website included information about the contemporary project and the history behind the project. Corporation Pop has also built two or three websites for other, stand-alone arts events as well. Corporation Pop did both the design and development of those sites.

How did you come to work with Corporation Pop?

Corporation Pop's director gave us a presentation over ten years ago, and we really liked their approach. It took some time to find the right project for Corporation Pop, but they’ve done several projects for us since then.

How much have you invested with Corporation Pop?

We’ve invested between $50,000 and $200,000 to date.

We started working together several years ago. The current phase of the Dazzle project was completed in April 2016, but it’s likely that we’ll engage Corporation Pop again for another phase.

The app helped to extend the life of the art project a lot. It broadened the art’s audience beyond those who actually visited one of the ships, and it helped to interest younger people who may not have previously been interested in the history of WWI. It’s given us an aspect of the project that can live online throughout the entire 14-18 NOW timeline. It has really helped to extend our audience for that project.

The app has all the functionality we were looking for. Sometimes there were some tricky elements with the augmented reality, but that seems to be the nature of working with those technologies. Creatively, the app built by Corporation Pop has pushed beyond what we imagined at first.

We revised the user journey several times. Together we spent a lot of time thinking about how the user moved through the different elements of the app. Share-ability was the focus. The initial user testing is the only tracked feedback we have.

How did Corporation Pop perform from a project management standpoint?

Corporation Pop is incredibly strong in project management. There were a lot of stakeholders involved on our side, but Corporation Pop remained very flexible, accommodating, and willing to respond to changes. Corporation Pop went the extra mile in getting the project delivered.

We used Basecamp for communication, and we kept in touch daily. At the height of the project, communication often occurred several times a day. We didn’t have issues with missed deadlines.

What did you find most impressive about Corporation Pop?

Corporation Pop has a very creative approach and genuine enthusiasm for doing something different.

Are there any areas Corporation Pop could improve?

There’s nothing that immediately springs to mind.

Corporation Pop is very strong in this area, although no one is perfect. There were a few issues around sharing the app in the development stage that occasionally impacted smaller project milestones.
    Corporation Pop was supportive throughout the project and went the extra mile to make it work.
    I have referred Corporation Pop already.

Educational Tools for UK Broadcasting Corporation

"They've gone the extra mile in obtaining resolutions to our problems, and have been very honest."

Mar. - Sept. 2016

Corporation Pop was employed to deliver four HTML5 web tools that are used to create games and challenges for education purposes.

Jonathan Modley
Technical Project Manager, BBC

In addition to their development expertise, Corporation Pop brings an element of personality and friendliness to their projects that sets them apart. They are dedicated to ensuring all business needs are met.

The BBC is a public broadcaster and media company in the UK, covering everything from TV and radio to online media.

I am a technical project manager working for the Knowledge and Learning department of the online team. I project manage a team which looks after the Bitesize and Guides parts of our online website.

What challenge were you trying to address with Corporation Pop?

We needed to develop a functionality which would allow our editorial teams to create individual educational challenges and games for kids, focusing on math.

Corporation Pop developed 4 tools for teaching the Singapore method of math, which is a relatively unknown approach to children and adults. The tools consist of a bar chart, an array tool, a comparison tool, and a ratio one.

We employed Corporation Pop as an independent supplier, responsible for the end-to-end development of the tools based on our set of requirements. We supplied technical and UX specs, as well as accessibility guidelines.

How did you come to work with Corporation Pop?

We made a request for proposal and sent it to our supplier list, which Corporation Pop is a member of. They responded with a costing and development proposal, which was the best out of all the other ones we received.

We started working with Corporation Pop in March 2016. The project was completed in September. We've had a call with Corporation Pop recently in order to make some improvements and add functionalities to the tools.

The tools produced by Corporation Pop have had a very good response during user testing for a wide spectrum of age groups, from 5-year-olds to adults. We hope to use Corporation Pop's services a lot more frequently over the next 12 months as we bring new content to the site.

How did Corporation Pop perform from a project management standpoint?

Corporation Pop kept on top of all elements of delivery for the project, managed the scope well, and had flawless communication. The team was easy to work with and questioned things, even as the project became more difficult. We've always managed to find a solution or path.

What did you find most impressive about Corporation Pop?

Corporation Pop is a friendly and personable company to work with overall. They've gone the extra mile in obtaining resolutions to our problems, and have been very honest. Corporation Pop's team didn't mind having difficult conversations with us when issues popped up.

Nothing comes to mind.

They've stuck to deadlines overall. If things do slip, they are quickly communicated.
    Corporation Pop is competitive for cost compared to other agencies.
    Corporation Pop delivered on time and had good communication throughout. The quality of work was excellent.
    I already have recommended Corporation Pop to colleagues within the BBC.

Gaming Platform Development for UK Non-Profit Organization

"I have a lot of confidence in Corporation Pop. Their team knows how I think, how I do things, and what I want."

Dec. 2015 - Ongoing

Corporation Pop used their experience with Unity Engine software to redevelop a gaming platform that works to develop professional talent within the cybersecurity space.

CEO, Trading Startup

Despite being a smaller company, Corporation Pop dealt with working on a unique and complicated development project with a level of professionalism that impressed the client.

We are a very small startup and the trading arm of a non-profit organization. That organization was set up in order to identify and develop professional cybersecurity talent by means of gaming. In doing so, they had accumulated a number of assets, among which is a massive multiplayer online gaming (MMOG) platform. The trading arm was created in order to monetize these assets. The Not For Profit organization has been active for 6 years, the trading arm just over a year.

I am the CEO of the trading arm company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Corporation Pop?

We had to do some considerable redevelopment for the gaming platform.

The MMOG is a unique platform. We were quite guarded in terms of protecting our intellectual property. The original version of our game had been developed by another company. We had some issues with personnel turnover on their side, as well as with their documentation process. As such, I was very keen to see what Corporation Pop's procedures were when we first went to them. One of the things I'm very interested in seeing with all software development is the creation of a colophon. This is particularly important for things such as information platforms, which is really what our product is, so that if something happens to the developer we know what we have and the next developer can easily pick up where the development has stopped.

We presented Corporation Pop with a Unity software application which was unknown to them. Corporation Pop gave us a significant review of it, at some cost to themselves, which was the basis on which we moved forward with the project.

The first upgrade we worked on was against the clock, but I was particularly looking to maintain good quality assurance standards. Corporation Pop did this extremely well.

How did you come to work with Corporation Pop?

Corporation Pop was recommended to us by another partner. They're a software design shop with a particular focus on Unity Engine games, which is what our own product is based on.

Corporation Pop is based in Manchester, while the trading arm company is in London. Corporation Pop is a small company, but the people from their team are both enthusiastic and skilled. When we first went there to outline our requirements, the team was extremely helpful.

I was also interested to see how Corporation Pop would handle Agile development since most companies have their own approach. Corporation Pop was flexible in how they would be working with me and were willing to stand back and look at their own procedures.

How much have you invested with Corporation Pop?

The cost of Corporation Pop's work has been around $200,000.

We started working with Corporation Pop in December 2015. Projects like ours are never completed, but we made the first upgrade in less than 12 weeks. We had another 12–week period during which we decided what to do next and looked for funding. The second upgrade was significantly more complex, also involving a client website. It was completed between September and December 2016. We've recently signed a new contract with Corporation Pop for completing the third upgrade. It will be a massive project for them, as a small company, but Corporation Pop has approached it in a highly professional way.

We are now able to see quite a few stats which we couldn't see before. For example, registrations for people looking for a career in cybersecurity have gone from zero to 4,000 registrants in less than seven weeks. This was due solely to the increased ease of use achieved in our platform, especially since we haven't promoted or marketed the platform yet.

We've gone through an exercise over the last two weeks of launching and advertising a new game, leading to a huge lift. Before, the impact of new games was not noticeable. Corporation Pop's work has led to many more registrants playing our games. We plan to multiply this by at least a factor of ten and see if our infrastructure is robust enough to take that on.

How did Corporation Pop perform from a project management standpoint?

Corporation Pop has found our project quite demanding. Like many small companies, although they can undertake Agile development, Corporation Pop is still using spreadsheets for the task. I'm used to people using more professional software packages such as Microsoft Project or Artemis. Most of the jobs Corporation Pop has been involved with in the past have been less complex, so there hasn't been a need for a more robust approach, but they're learning all the time.

The project management for three activities running concurrently was something that Corporation Pop's team hadn't necessarily come across before, for example. When we're up against the clock, and need to have everything come together at the same time, it can become complex. Corporation Pop still has some room to improve in this area. They have now adopted JIRA, so we'll see how it goes.

Corporation Pop has extremely good retention. They haven't lost a single person since we began working with them, and in fact, Corporation Pop has taken on more people. They're linked-up with universities and other teaching establishments in Manchester.

What did you find most impressive about Corporation Pop?

When I come to Corporation Pop with a suggested approach, they will push back and discuss it with me. If it's the right thing to do, Corporation Pop will adopt it.

Are there any areas Corporation Pop could improve?

We have weekly conference calls, which isn't too bad, but getting some proper conference devices - possibly online services - would be an improvement to using a single phone.

Presentation to customers is also important. At the moment, Corporation Pop uses whiteboards and PowerPoint, which is adequate but isn't ideal for presenting big ideas. I've recommended that they get a smart display board, which is something that many companies are using for workshopping and brainstorming and then capturing ideas swiftly and completely.

Overall Score I have a lot of confidence in Corporation Pop. Their team knows how I think, how I do things, and what I want. I understand Corporation Pop as well, so I'm getting a good deal from the collaboration.
    Corporation Pop will become overwhelmed by the schedule from time to time, but it was always clear to me that they're willing to go the extra mile and work overtime without billing us in order to meet the deadline.
    Corporation Pop is not low-cost, but they're also not as expensive as the rest of the market.
    Corporation Pop is a small company, so they won't have the same resources that a larger institution will, but they're responsive and produce great quality work. Our testers have given Corporation Pop praise for the work they've done.
    I deal with many companies, large and small. Corporation Pop knows what it can do well, so for jobs and tasks falling within their sweet spot, I would definitely recommend them.