Brand Strategy & Design for Nonprofits

Constructive collaborates with ambitious social impact organizations to develop strategies and design experiences that strengthen brands, advance missions, and create meaningful positive change. We’re a diverse team of strategists, designers, technologists, and advocates—united by our values and who draw energy from our clients’ commitment to social impact.

Combining the insights of a branding consultancy with the creativity and technical acumen of a digital design agency, we partner to create brand experiences that help our clients stand out, and stand for something.

2000
New York, NY
  • 233 Broadway, Suite 2030
    New York, NY 10279

Aspen Institute, Blue Meridian Partners, Cardiovascular Research Foundation, Climate Impact Lab, ClimateWorks Foundation, Columbia University, Constitutional Accountability Center, Commonwealth Fund, Harvard University, International Energy Agency, The Legal Aid Society, National Constitution Center, National Head Start Association, Surdna Foundation, UnboundEd, The University of Chicago, Wallace Foundation, Weizmann Institute of Science, World Economic Forum, Yale University

Web Design, Logo Design & Branding Services for Non-Profit

“They focus on the non-profit world, which added value. They know our space very well.”

Sep. 2019 - Nov. 2019

Constructive redesigned the website for a non-profit ratings platform. They made the site donor-ready and worked through conceptual challenges; then, they created a logo and a brand guide.

New York City, New York
Elizabeth Denault
Director of Marketing, ImpactMatters

The design and experiential assets are strong. Constructive was easy to collaborate with, and their project manager was efficient. They communicated regularly, and they helped keep the project on track.

We're a non-profit startup that rates and reviews other non-profits based on the impact they have on their communities. I'm the director of marketing, and I also work on communications. We launched in November 2019 with ratings for over 1,000 organizations.

What challenge were you trying to address with Constructive?

We needed a full redesign of our website. When we started to think about our launch and the site we wanted to present, we knew we wanted a better online presence.

We had a beta site, and they completely redesigned it to make it donor-ready. They worked through conceptual challenges in a couple of phases, and they designed a logo and a brand guide.

We worked with a project manager and a designer, and we were in close contact with their managing partner.

How did you come to work with Constructive?

I have extensive experience in finding and selecting design vendors and partners. I did a wide search within the industry, and I narrowed the list down to about three firms. I got quotes from each of them, but we ultimately chose Constructive for their strong presence in the non-profit industry. They're a full-service agency, and their designs are very modern.

The project cost $25,000.

Our contract with them started around September 2019. They completed the project in November 2019, but we will reach out to them again for future needs.

Overall, our company is very pleased with the design and some of the experiential things they produced. We made a few changes, but they were lovely to work with throughout the process.

How did Constructive perform from a project management standpoint?

Our project manager was extremely efficient. She communicated regularly with us, and she sent us updates and stayed on task. If we moved outside of the scope of the project, they kept us on track.

They focus on the non-profit world, which added value. They knew the space very well.

The project scoping phase could have been more detailed, as that would have put us all on the same page for the deliverables. That's always a two-way street, and the overall outcomes were awesome. We're very pleased with the results.

Be prepared, and tell them exactly what you want. If you're used to working with external graphics vendors, you'll have a wonderful time working with Constructive. If you're less familiar with that process, know that they'll deliver an incredible product.

Website Redesign for Nonprofit

"Their level of responsiveness made them easy to work with—we really appreciated their clear communication."

Aug. - Oct. 2019

Constructive redesigned an existing WordPress website to streamline and organize the content and information. They added some new features to improve site navigation.

DC Metro Area
Communicator, Nonprofit

Constructive successfully achieved the client’s goal, meeting all requirements within the scope of the work. Users can now more easily find information within the site. The team was easy to get in contact with and there was never any confusion about next steps or progress.

I’m a communicator for a nonpartisan, nonprofit that’s dedicated to protecting our democratic institutions.

What challenge were you trying to address with Constructive?

We hired Constructive to help us update and refresh our website. We wanted to do an informational reorganization within our site.

Constructive did a visual redesign of the homepage of our WordPress site to better convey our narrative while maintaining our original branding. They also redesigned our site navigation and menu bar. There is now a new content type on the backend which is a project page for our site. They also streamlined some of the content associations so we have various content types associated with the projects, so now updates and media are now associated with the right projects.

Between 3–4 people worked with us on this, including a dedicated project manager.

How did you come to work with Constructive?

We had a pretty narrow goal in terms of the scope and budget, and we wanted a vendor to work with our existing site, so we researched 6–7 different companies. I was impressed with Constructive because they were small, responsive, and nimble.

We spent $28,000 on the project.

We worked together from August–October 2019, but we’ve signed on to continue working with them.

Before the redesign, it was basically impossible to find work within our projects, and Constructive accomplished our goal of streamlining that process and making everything easier to find. Now, we’re looking to continue making improvements to make everything look better over time, but, for now, we’re happy with the scope of work they did.

How did Constructive perform from a project management standpoint?

They were excellent. Aside from being very responsive, they were also able to provide quick turnaround for both the work and overall communication.

Their level of responsiveness made them easy to work with—we really appreciated their clear communication. If we had an idea of something we wanted to do, it was always planned out with their team and they laid it out clearly.

I don’t think there’s anything they could have done better; they did a good job for what we needed them to do.

Have a really clear picture of what you’re trying to accomplish before you go into the engagement. The dynamic is much easier if you know what you need.

Web Dev for Education Nonprofit

"…Constructive’s project management was some of the finest I’ve experienced."

May - Sept. 2019

Constructive revamped an educational nonprofit’s websites to comply with a rebrand. Key features include an interactive timeline, a blog platform, and an updated information architecture.

Director of Communications, Educational Nonprofit

Despite some delays, the website launched in time for the new school year, meeting the client’s deadline and budget. Constructive’ industry experience with non-profits contributed to a seamless workflow. They provided individualized customer service and encouraged communication.

I’m the director of communications for an educational nonprofit.

What challenge were you trying to address with Constructive?

Two years ago, we embarked on our rebrand which gave us a new mission statement, vision statement, tagline, and other external language. We wanted to update our web properties with our new positioning.

Constructive was our agency partner to refresh our main web properties. Our CMS was WordPress. They took a cumbersome UX and distilled it into a more seamless experience for our key audiences—students, partners, and donors. Once we agreed on the technical requirements and functionalities needed, Constructive helped us through three stages over about 3.5–4 months.

We wanted to more easily share the information necessary to convert to our target user action. Constructive helped us conceptualize what that information would be. They developed information architecture for each user experience. We wanted a visual story that would run parallel to that information, make it feel as dynamic and compelling as possible.

We now have new features fully baked into the site. For example, after the rebrand, we wanted our stakeholders to start sharing more broadly some of the insights that we developed on staff and also with our partners. With Constructive, we launched a dedicated thought-leadership blog within the site. It hosts posts from staff members and students and riffs off our students’ narrative reporting, giving partners and potential students a better glimpse into our work. That was one deliverable.

Constructive also created interactive timelines on our Fellows Program page. Using animation and some WordPress widgets, it gives people a sense of the year-by-year journey that a student takes at our school.  It’s really exciting because it clearly and compellingly explains our competitive advantages relative to our peer nonprofits.

We had a team of four people, including a project manager who stuck with us throughout the entire process. People bowed in and out as we moved through each stage, from information architecture to visual design to actual tech development. We had a lead for each of those stages.

How did you come to work with Constructive?

We looked through Google for design agencies that had an articulated focus on nonprofits.

We worked together from May until September 2019.

The project was completed on time and within budget. Even though we experienced delays at particular stages, Constructive had it live in time for August, when our key users are getting ready to go back to school. They delivered everything they were tasked to do.

How did Constructive perform from a project management standpoint?

Having worked with vendors in this space before, Constructive’s project management was some of the finest I’ve experienced. I was always aware of a next step or a deliverable on my end and their end.

Sometimes in the design phase, we had to refocus and make sure that our decisions around the website’s look and feel aligned with best practices and our distinctive brand personality. We occasionally had to have some difficult conversations with the creatives around what our non-negotiables would be.

I appreciate the project manager; she was able to keep everyone focused on the goal at hand. It was ultimately about building the best work product, which is the ideal dynamic in a vendor relationship. Personal preferences will creep in inevitably, but I appreciated having somebody who remains objective and focused on the execution.

They’ve worked with enough nonprofits across different fields where they have a level of fluency around content. I was really impressed with how quickly they were able to wrap their heads around the work we do and the unique selling points we’re hoping to convey. They provided a helpful marketing perspective while staying true to what is important to us as a nonprofit.

The project also felt like an individualized experience; we never once felt like we were on our own. Several times, Constructive invited us to come to their office just to make sure that everyone was aligned and could have a healthy conversation. They really made sure we felt good about the work being done. It was a caring approach that made us feel special.

Sometimes, when one stage concluded and another began, Constructive could have had more seamless communication on their end. That way, everyone can continue to work on time without having to go back and rediscover a missing update that wasn’t shared. There should be some protocol where everybody working on a project is constantly made aware of key updates that could influence their particular stage. There were moments where I had to repeat something that I thought was captured before.

Be very clear on what your non-negotiables are. Come with a detailed idea in mind around colors, fonts, and the general look and feel. Spell out those deliverables thoroughly in your RFP.

Web Development and Branding for Consulting Company

“What distinguishes Constructive is their level of ability. They’re not just web designers; they’re branding specialists.”

Dec. 2018 - Jul. 2019

Constructive rebuilt a website and redefined its entire branding presence. The new site features an area for original content, company values, past client case studies, and other core branding aspects.

Boston, Massachusetts
Shaun Adamec
Founder, Adamec Communications

The new site receives substantial traffic and is a marked improvement from its predecessor. The team succinctly and accurately reflects unique core values in their process. Overall, Constructive unites specialized branding tactics with exemplary design prowess to deliver an excellent product.

I’m the owner of Adamec Communications, a consulting practice. We work with mission-driven organizations, such as nonprofits, advocates, and foundations. We help them find better, more strategic ways to talk about themselves and their work to the constituencies that matter most.

What challenge were you trying to address with Constructive?

I was in search of a more professional and brand-appropriate website. I'd been working on a web platform that I could easily manage from my end and realized I needed to step up my online presence.

They designed and developed a brand-new website from scratch. They also worked with me on refining my brand. I was interested in developing my company’s brand to focus on myself as the primary consultant; they helped me develop that idea and properly reflect it on my website.

Since I had an existing website and services, we took a step back and looked at how we could reorganize and recategorize those services. They also came to the table with ideas on how we can reflect all the services, writing, and thoughts I provide for my clients.

Constructive suggested that the site feature past client case studies and an ideas-section that introduces a blog. It allows me to write original content and give clients an idea of how I approach things. The site also has a section explaining the values I apply to all my work. Overall, the site is highly tailored to my business and my potential customers.

My main point of contact was Johanna (Senior Project Manager, Constructive). We also worked with Doug (Senior Designer, Constructive). I also dealt with Matt (Founder & Executive Director, Constructive) during the discovery phase of the project.

How did you come to work with Constructive?

Matt and I are involved in a professional networking group for our industry, which is how learned about Constructive. After meeting, I started exploring the idea of them assisting with my branding.

I’ve invested approximately $50,000.

We began working together in December 2018, and wrapped up in July 2019.

Although the site only launched recently, it’s already seen significant traffic. I’ve also received praise from web-savvy individuals. Everyone claims how remarkably better it is than my last site.

The quality is what I’m most happy with. It made my brand more professional, and it was what I was looking for. My old site was created in a DIY style, and it looked that way. It wasn’t a bad site, but it felt amateur. The services I provide my clients are high end, in terms of quality and pricing. My new site accurately reflects my brand and the caliber of service I provide.

How did Constructive perform from a project management standpoint?

The project was managed extremely well. They only involved me in the process only as far as was necessary. I was never engaged with things I didn’t understand. They were very good at telling me what they needed and when they needed it by, which it what I wanted.

What distinguishes Constructive is their level of ability. They’re not just web designers; they’re branding specialists. They apply their expertise in branding with their obvious talent for design. Several vendors claim they can fulfill both of these aspects, but Constructive actually proves they can.

No, nothing comes to mind.

My advice is to trust the experts and come into the engagement with an open mind. Constructive is not just a hired gun that materializes ideas; they’re strategists, not just designers. It’s best to allow them to challenge ideas and pre-conceived assumptions.

Web Design for a Research Institution

“Constructive did a great job of helping us create a unique platform consisting of complex data...”

2018 - Present

Constructive designed and developed a website that hosts complex data regarding the measurement and impact of pollution around the world. They continue to maintain the site and fix bugs as needed.

Executive Director, Research Institution

Constructive built a high-quality website that's been well received by users and media around the world. Despite the occasional lack of urgency in their approach, they've delivered on time and on budget, while providing feedback that's ultimately improved product outcomes.

I'm the executive director at a research institution.

What challenge were you trying to address with Constructive?

We reached out to Constructive to help our research department create a website that hosted a graphic representation of data involving the impact of air pollution on human health.

Constructive developed a website that portrays the data of air pollution measurements over the past 25 years around the world. The graphic includes the impact of air pollution on health, including data points like life expectancy. Their team collaborated with ours to design a map interface, brand, and a series of tools to make the graphical information interactive. We provided the content, including case studies, while they provided design and development.

We've worked with a few people, including Johanna (Senior Project Manager, Constructive) and Matthew (Founder and Executive Director, Constructive).

How did you come to work with Constructive?

I'd worked with Matthew for a long time, so I knew his team would be a good fit for the project.

We've invested between $250,000–$500,000.

We've been working with them on this project since 2018 and launched it towards the end of that year, but the relationship is ongoing.

Constructive did a great job of helping us create a unique platform consisting of complex data, working hard through challenges along the way. In addition to the overall quality of the platform, Constructive also launched it on time and on budget. In India alone, it's been viewed over 1 million times; In China, it's been widely discussed and cited. It's also been featured in every major media outline in the U.S. and abroad.

How did Constructive perform from a project management standpoint?

Overall, they've done a great job managing the project. There were a few times when it took a little longer to get ahold of certain staff, but we've never had any communications issues.

They've taken the time to understand the content we've provided them in order to build a product for success. They're good about thinking through the user experience and what's going to make people want to continue using the product. Their strategic feedback throughout the process was very valuable; they helped guide us down the right path and stay focused on our core objectives as pressures to manipulate the platform for the media started mounting.

There were times when it's taken longer than we'd prefer to reach their staff to make changes or fixes to the site. As long as we're clear when it's urgent, however, they've been more responsive and quick to jump on our requests.

Be open to their feedback, because strategy is one of their greatest strengths. Listening to their advice will likely lead to a better end product.

Web Design & Development for Arts University

"It's not just about price; it's about a vendor that understands our organization’s brand."

Aug. 2018 - Apr. 2019

Constructive helped redesign a website for a college to boost overall functionality and design, with the primary new feature being mobile-optimized capability. They will provide ongoing support.

Montpelier, Vermont
Alastair Hayes
Executive Director of Marketing, VCFA

The redesigned site has been well-received by key stakeholders. Constructive's consistent communication, responsiveness, and ability to work with nonprofit organizations justify the investment and make them a valuable partner.

I'm executive director of marketing communications at Vermont College of Fine Arts. We’re a higher education institution that specializes in degrees in writing, design, and media.

What challenge were you trying to address with Constructive?

We needed help to design and build a new website for our institution.

Constructive did a complete rethink on our previous site. They developed a WordPress site that is mobile-optimized, and they helped with content editing and creation as well. The goal of the new site is to increase our enrollment and enhance our general brand. They're also going to provide maintenance post-launch.

We worked with around 7–8 individuals including two designers, a project manager, and backend specialists.

How did you come to work with Constructive?

They were recommended to me from my connections in New York.

The final estimate was $90,000.

The project took place from August 2018–April 2019.

Constructive completed and launched the site this month. It’s too early to say much in terms in terms of measurement but we couldn't have asked for a better partner. It's not just about price; it's about a vendor that understands our organization’s brand.

How did Constructive perform from a project management standpoint?

Their team performed really well. Constructive was excellent at managing deadlines, and incredibly responsive to our questions. They used the Teamwork tool to help us structure communication and manage each step of the process. They kept us abreast of every challenge or issue via weekly phone calls. Various team members stepped in when there was an additional design challenge. The owner even stepped in and helped at one point. Their whole company was involved in the development of our site.

Constructive specializes in nonprofits. That’s really important for institutions like ours because of the politics involved. They were able to help us navigate through those challenges.

No, I don't have any suggestions. The whole process was fantastic. They supported us every step of the way.

Be aware of the goals of your institution and for the website itself. Make sure to have the goals outlined and ready to go at beginning of the process. They will absolutely achieve what you request.

Overall Score They were really good at listening to our issues.
    The only deadlines that were missed were on our end.
    Other vendors cost less but don't provide the same level of service.
    They delivered everything on time and on budget.

Web Dev & Branding for Nonprofit Public Interest Law Firm

“Constructive provided a tangible set of products that helped us project the best of what we’re about.”

July 2017 - Ongoing

Constructive designed and developed a new website and brand identity. After a full day of on-site meetings and workshops, they generated both the front- and backend, and integrated a timeline feature.

Washington, DC
Communications Director, Public Interest Law Firm

Internal feedback has been entirely positive. Constructive’s iterative process effectively incorporates feedback and prioritizes collaboration. Although their billing could be more detailed, their quality of work and ability to adapt to different work cultures make for a strong partnership.

I’m the communications director for a nonprofit, progressive law firm and think tank.

What challenge were you trying to address with Constructive?

Our previous Drupal website had become a solely internal tool, because even though people respected our substantive work, the visual and functional aspects of the site were too much of an obstacle. We needed to build an entirely new website from scratch and form a new brand identity to go with that site.

To start, Constructive sent three or four of their web and brand design people from New York to visit our office. They walked us through a full day of workshops and conversation about what we wanted and why, to build the foundation for the following months.

They did both backend development and frontend design and included two key features: case timelines and relevant images. Litigation is the core of what we do, and now visitors can trace our involvement through any case to its current point, with documentation as relevant. Constructive was also able to build the site through a marriage of striking but relevant images, and content related to the subject matter of each page. They also developed marketing materials that we're going to debut soon.

We had a dedicated project manager, but we also interacted with Constructive’s president, a visual designer and a web developer. There were plenty more people behind them as well.

How did you come to work with Constructive?

We did a comprehensive search and put together a portfolio of almost a dozen shops. We cut down that list based on some criteria and feedback from myself and my bosses, and came to a recommendation of Constructive and two other shops. They nosed out a local competitor because of their experience helping intellectual nonprofits become more accessible to the general public. They brought visual expertise as well as a librarian’s sense of data, which shone through for us because of the amount of pages and content on our site.

We’ve spent $120,000 so far.

We’ve been working together since July 2017.

The final products and the whole experience really bear out our initial judgement that Constructive was the right company to go with. Everybody I’ve spoken with internally is proud to show off the new materials. We don't have a quantitative analysis though; it's very qualitative so far.

How did Constructive perform from a project management standpoint?

They have a solid iterative process of taking initial ideas, producing a draft product, getting feedback within a certain time period, reflecting that feedback in a follow-up product, making any edits, and then producing an approved product. Our project manager was great at handling any questions that my bosses had.

Most consultants I’ve worked with, in my almost 10 years, provided very little value for the dollar, but Constructive provided a tangible set of products that helped us project the best of what we’re about. They also need to be credited with adapting to different organizational cultures. They do it every time they take on a new client and they've had to learn ours.

This was a really large expenditure for my organization, and I think consultants can get used to a certain way of billing. I have no doubt that their time is worth what it's worth though.

Branding Strategy for Direct Care Workforce Nonprofit

"They helped us produce something that completely transformed how people see us in the field."

Nov. 2016 - Ongoing

Constructive offered content management and branding strategies as well as web design services for a national non-profit organization.

VP of Policy, Direct Care Workforce Nonprofit

Their work resulted in an improved site that more effectively communicates the organization’s identity to audiences. Their work stayed on budget, met deadlines, and was worth the price. They’re knowledgeable and personable, and offer everything needed for excellent web development.

I’m the vice president of policy, and I oversee the research and communications division for a national non-profit organization that's focused on strengthening the direct care workforce. We consult with long-term care providers on how to deliver better care and we advocate for federal and state policy reforms.

What challenge were you trying to address with Constructive?

We needed to redesign our website for it to address specific areas such as strengthening our brand, delivering better content, designing information in a user-centered way, and implementing technology that made the site robust and easy to use. Our previous website was dense, full of too much information, and difficult to navigate. It wasn't visually appealing, which hurt our brand and online traffic.

We hired Constructive to help us understand and identify our website's strengths from its weakness, which we needed to eliminate or modify. They helped us strategize to develop a website that was intuitive, easy to navigate, neatly organized, and visually appealing. We needed help figuring out how to differentiate ourselves from our competition and how to convey the diversity of our services, which range from research, policy, and consulting. We wanted to share the work we do in different parts of the country as well.

They helped us plan out a website that enabled our audiences to better understand why we are unique in our field and what type of work we do at the local, state and national levels in addition to conveying key components of our brand.

We interfaced with everyone from the president and CEO to the web coders, the strategic designers, the graphic designers, and the project managers. We had access to a number of people in different parts of the firm, which was really helpful to us because we had questions related to various aspects such as visual aesthetics, web content, or higher level strategy.

How did you come to work with Constructive?

I discovered them at a national conference for strategic communicators on social change issues. They were exhibiting a new product they developed that helped social change organizations better present their long-form reports. I met their CEO and one of their project directors, and we talked about the product they were pitching and their services.

My organization needed a new website for a variety of reasons, and it became clear that they offered the right approach for us as they shared their resources and answered my questions. I could see the caliber of their work was high quality, and it was the type of brand we wanted to have. We looked at their client resources and made sure they could answer any questions we had.

They also had a long history of working with other mission-oriented organizations, which was important to us because we wanted to work with a firm that really understood the importance of improving people's lives. Overall, we were confident they were the right people to work with.

We spent about $200,000.

We started working together November 2016, and we're working with them on new projects now.

Our site reached about 78,000 people with 232,000 page views after launching last year, so we are reaching a sizable audience with our site and web resources. This emphasizes the importance of having a site that is intuitive and well designed. The qualitative difference is profound from our previous site.

When important audiences such as journalists, long-term care CEOs, or elected officials see our site, they're seeing an organization that matches who we are. For years we produced resources and offered analyses, and we are considered the country's leading expert on the direct care workforce, but our old website didn't reflect this. Now, our information is easy to access, and the visuals and site content match who we are and what we offer.

We're seeing an uptick in service requests and interviews with major media outlets. We're also seeing more attention to publications, and the people we work with have increased confidence in us. The site has transformed our brand and our relationship with our online audiences.

How did Constructive perform from a project management standpoint?

They were fantastic to work with. For the initial stages of the project, we interfaced once every two to three week. In the final stages of the project, we spoke almost every day. They have a team of people who are well versed in different aspects of branding, online engagement, and website development, so they are able to answer any of our questions or concerns; they were able to answer high-level strategic questions as well.

They are efficient, quick, and thorough as well as solution oriented. They're personable and they asked us hard questions that forced us to think through concerns that we hadn't thought about, which I appreciated because we wanted an open partnership. Our entire collaboration process reaffirmed that we had chosen the right firm to work with. We set a launch date and met it, which is pretty rare in the web development world. We communicate mainly through email and over the phone, but we also use Skype and Outlook tools.

Firms that largely work with for-profit corporations may not have understood our more complicated questions regarding how to properly represent an issue or population. They have experience working with organizations that are not only seeking technological solutions but are also aiming to improve our world.

Their holistic approach, and their expertise with online solutions that are visually interesting and emotional, yet clean and organized, were beneficial to the project. They have staff members experienced in coding, graphic design, and product management; they provided all the services necessary for developing a good website within one shop, which was extremely helpful.

No, it was honestly such a great experience. They met our budget needs, and they met our timeline. They helped us produce something that completely transformed how people see us in the field. I don't have any critiques at this point.

Spend a lot of time at the frontend brainstorming your desired specification. They will help you excel when they have a sense of your vision for your organization and the world. They will be able to develop a solution that works for you if you help them understand what you want to achieve.

Overall Score They were responsive and strategic at every step in the process, and our site is a stellar product.
    It's a rare to stick to your initial timeline when developing a website, but that’s what we did, and we met every single benchmark along the way.
    The final product was well worth what we spent, but I know some other nonprofits may not be able to afford them.
    The final website is superb in design and navigation.
    I would highly recommend them for their skills, experience, and product, but my colleagues should think about their total budget before hiring them.

Print & Digital Marketing for Science & Humanity Non-Profit

"In addition to performing excellent graphic design, Constructive acted as an extension of our marketing department."

May - Dec. 2017

Constructive created print marketing materials and a mobile-friendly website to support a fundraising campaign. Print deliverables included a campaign portfolio with various brochures and inserts.

Jeff Sussman
VP of Marketing, American Committee for the Weizmann Institute of Science

Their graphic design and website layout are aesthetically pleasing and internally well-received. The complete scope of deliverables exceeded expectations. Constructive’s strategic approach to marketing and experienced counsel have proven them an invaluable resource.

I’m the VP of marketing communications for the American Committee for the Weizmann Institute of Science. We’re a nonprofit organization that supports the mission of science for the benefit of humanity. We do that by raising funds and awareness for the Weizmann Institute of Science, located in Israel.

What challenge were you trying to address with Constructive?

We are launching a special three-year fundraising campaign in honor of the 75th anniversary of our founding. The challenge was creating print and digital marketing materials to support the major fundraising effort.

After coming in and meeting with us, they began to immerse themselves in our work in order to understand their challenge and primary target audience. To do this, they studied past campaigns we’ve done, the culture of our organization, and whatever reading materials we’d provided.

They produced print and digital deliverables. The print material was a campaign portfolio, which is basically a printed folder with 2 brochures and various inserts. Specifically, the material explains reasons donors may wish to fund the campaign and details where the money will go. The miscellaneous inserts included one-pagers on different topics and collateral materials like a thank you card, stationery, and a letterhead. For the digital aspect of this engagement, they created a mobile-friendly website to host our print materials alongside a donation form. This allowed us to market the fundraising campaign through both print and digital channels.

Matthew Schwartz, their founder, was the primary point of contact. However, we worked with other members of his team as the project progressed.

How did you come to work with Constructive?

I met Matthew over 10 years ago and we had an initial meeting. I was impressed but the right project for us to collaborate on didn't come along. Once I started this project, however, I specifically recalled that he had an expertise in nonprofit and educational institutions. Additionally, I wanted people who produced beautiful materials from an aesthetic point of view. After viewing Constructive’s work, I was impressed with their design skills. This combination of relevant experience and strategic thinking made them a good fit.

The project took place May 2017–December 2017.

We presented their deliverables to our board of directors and received positive feedback. The graphic design and website layout were highly praised, attractive, and easy to read on all fronts. Constructive provided strategic thinking on how to organize the campaign which has proven valuable.

How did Constructive perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re well-organized and kept us informed of any needs or deadlines. Project progression was tracked using an online tool.

In addition to providing excellent graphic design, both print and digital, Constructive acted as an extension of our marketing department. They provided counsel on naming the campaign and branding strategies.

I can’t suggest any significant improvements.

The print and digital design exceeded our expectations.

Web Development for Civil Rights Organization

"Constructive was invested in our success. It was apparent that they cared about the work that we do."

In need of a website that could clearly convey relevant information about their organization, the client looked to Constructive to develop and design the site, improving its user experience and accessibility.

New York City, New York
Communications Director, Civil Rights Organization

The website Constructive built has gotten an overwhelmingly positive response and even won a digital communications award in excellence. The client is pleased that the site now adequately serves their community, whose members can actually benefit from the information it provides.

Founded in 2001, we are a civil rights organization working to secure safer schools, prevent hate and discrimination, create equal employment opportunities, and empower local Sikh communities. We work towards a world where Sikhs, and other religious minorities in America, may freely practice their faith without bias and discrimination.

I am the Development and Communications director.

What challenge were you trying to address with Constructive?

We had an outdated website with a functionality that wasn't up to par with what we wanted. We felt that our expertise, impact, and professionalism were not reflected on our website. More importantly, it was designed with our communities of users in mind. It was extremely difficult to find important information, latest news, resources, and understand our impact.

We hired Constructive to redevelop our entire site, both frontend and backend.

When we approached Constructive, there were a few things we were very clear about from the onset. When picking our partner, we wanted a company that understood nonprofit work and how to best communicate impact. We wanted a partner that could help us balance content and imagery to elicit support and action. We made clear that it was important for us to have a stable and friendly backend so that more people on our team can update content. Additionally, it was important to have enough flexibility in our design so that we would not need a developer for every little change, but have the appropriate guardrails to prevent the site from losing its aesthetic appeal.

How did you come to work with Constructive?

Google! We were looking for a developer that focused on nonprofits. Constructive stood out and they were attentive and considerate during our search. Happy we found them!

Anyone who has come across our site after our recent launch - a community member, a colleague at a partner organization, or a journalist - has been blown away by the site. In fact, the website just won a digital communications award in excellence from the Religion Communicators Council. They are impressed by the aesthetic, the presentation of the content, and their ability to find what they need quickly. It is not only a fresh face, but the website serves the community better and more effectively shares the work that we do.

How did Constructive perform from a project management standpoint?

Constructive was invested in our success. It was apparent that they cared about the work that we do. Every person we worked with was friendly and invested. They gave us appropriate feedback and kept us moving along at a fair pace. There were times where we had to readjust our timelines and deliverables, but we never felt rushed or pushed into a corner during those conversations. They would let us know how our timeline would be affected and what would need to be shifted around.

What did you find most impressive about Constructive?

Firstly, they get nonprofits since they exclusively work with nonprofits and educations institutions. They understand how to translate a large website with high word counts to a website with an exceptional end-user experience.

Secondly, they are focused on laying a solid framework in the beginning. Constructive put a great deal of attention on the UX, which made the rest of the process of development much easier. The consultation and feedback rounds in the beginning of our relationship helped us focus on the needs of our user and how we can develop content that will fit into those parameters. We also believe that it helped us get through the design process a lot faster because we had a solid blueprint.

Are there any areas Constructive could improve?

Nothing substantial. With any large project, especially with a nonprofit strapped for time and resources, there are bumps, but we felt that the team worked with us through the challenges and had our best interests in mind at all times.

Overall Score We're very happy. At every stage of the process, they made sure that our work and impact shined through.
    They were really good on scheduling. But when there were some transitions, there were a little bit of delays there. However, they also worked really well with us when we had delays of our own.
    They did an excellent job and went above and beyond to meet the needs of our organization at the best cost that they could provide. Although they were a bit pricier than others we were looking at, we felt it was well worth the value at the end of the day.
    The website met and exceeded all of our expectations. At the end of the day, this website is really for community members, partners, and others. Everyone we have spoken to has given us positive feedback.
    Definitely willing to recommend them. In fact, we already have.