Color outside the lines.

Gold

ColorJar is a Chicago-based brand strategy and design firm that drives business results for brands that obsess over the guest experience. Founded in 2008, ColorJar revitalizes brands at key moments of change and works with some of the nation’s most significant brands in hospitality, accommodations, real estate, and cultural destinations.

2008
Chicago, IL
  • 1000 W. Fulton Market, Suite 213
    Chicago, IL 60607
  • United States

(alphabetical order) 1871, Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill, Air Bud, Aiwa, Akara Partners, Bella Bridesmaids, Blue Plate, Bucketfeet, CareerBuilder, CBRE, Clayco, Discovery Channel, Dose Studios, Funny or Die, Gamma Aerospace, Google, GoPicnic, HBK Engineering, HFMA, Hollenwolff, Jahn, Kaplan, Kapow, Keeper Security, Kehoe Designs, Kenect, Laphroaig Whisky, Lettuce Entertain You, Marquis Energy, MillerCoors, Navy Pier, ParkWhiz, Rentalutions, Sandbox Industries, Technori, Viskase

Rebranding for Cybersecurity Firm

"It’s clear that their team is passionate about their work, and, by extension, the success of their clients."

Mar. - Jul. 2019

ColorJar delivered a new logo and wordmark for a cybersecurity firm. The team produced enhanced iconography for the logo and typography for the wordmark using a tagline and color palettes from the client.

Scott Ablin
CMO, Keeper Security

Customers across the globe have praised the new branding. Dedicated and responsive, ColorJar maintained open lines of communication and delivered the project within the set timeframe. Customers can expect innovation, transparency, and personalized support when working with this team.

Keeper Security is a cybersecurity platform provider that helps protect consumers and businesses from password-related data breaches and cyber threats. I am the chief marketing officer, and I’ve been in this position since October 2018.

What challenge were you trying to address with ColorJar?

Keeper started as a consumer app about ten or twelve years ago, and the company’s brand—it’s visual identity, in particular—hadn't evolved over the past decade. Also, the brand hadn’t kept pace with the evolution of the business.

The company expanded from being a consumer password manager app to a more comprehensive cybersecurity platform for both consumers and businesses. We felt that the brand, specifically the visual identity, needed to be updated to become more reflective of the shift that we’d experienced and the value that we currently create and deliver. We also wanted our branding to fit more precisely with the segments and markets that we now serve.

Following a standard immersion process, we had a brand download and a briefing workshop. ColorJar undertook high-level competitive research and analysis before moving into the concept creation phase. The team provided a few creative territories and several executions of logos.

We narrowed down a list of logos that ColorJar developed until we had a few options, and we eventually picked a final logo. For the new logo, the team created new icons as well as typography for our wordmark. They also took a new tagline that we developed in-house and incorporated it into their work.

From there, we went into color exploration and ultimately decided that we wanted to keep our primary palette. We also chose to become more sophisticated with our new brand in terms of secondary and tertiary palettes. We selected those palettes, and ColorJar implemented them in their designs.

After we settled on the logo and the color palettes, ColorJar built out a brand architecture system to help us with product naming. The team also created a visual identity system for us.

They took the new logo that they developed and animated it to meet some of our specific iconography needs. In addition to the initial logo design, ColorJar designed browser extensions, product iconography, and app iconography.

We primarily interfaced with two people, David (Founder & CEO, ColorJar) and Michael (Account Manager, ColorJar). We were originally introduced to a graphic designer from ColorJar who was going to take the lead on a piece of the work, but she experienced some health issues during the project. I'm not sure whether she was still working on it when we finished.

How did you come to work with ColorJar?

I had a couple of agencies that were already top of mind, and ColorJar was one of them, so I included them in our initial outreach and dialogue process. I believe that I found them through Clutch, along with a couple of other firms. I enjoyed my initial conversation with ColorJar.

Eventually, the process became a competition between ColorJar and two other Chicago-based agencies. We brought them in for a capabilities presentation, and they were a perfect fit in terms of personality and culture.

I liked their approach and appreciated their sense of urgency. Also, their budget was acceptable, and I had seen other examples of their work, so we decided to move forward with them as our partner.

There were two principal phases of the engagement. The logo design project began in March 2019 and ran through the first week of April 2019. We took a week or two off before the second phase of the project, which lasted for about 8–10 weeks. We officially wrapped up the project last week.

The logo itself—the new icon, the new typography around the wordmark, the new visual identity—has been very well received internally and externally by key stakeholders, including both business and consumer clients around the world. We've received favorable comments directly through social media.

Of course, with this kind of project, it’s normal to have some folks who don't like change. That being said, about 90%–95% of all feedback from external stakeholders has been positive. We're very happy with the work and very comfortable with the outcomes of the partnership.

How did ColorJar perform from a project management standpoint?

The original timeline for the initial project was four weeks, and they were right within the four-to-five-week timeframe. They delivered the initial project on budget, and from there, we moved into a phase two project with them.

As I said before, the graphic designer who was initially attached to our project had some health issues. It's unfortunate when things like that happen, and I commend ColorJar for not letting that influence their performance. There were no excuses or delays, and whatever transfer occurred was seamless from my perspective. Whatever it was that they needed to do, they made it happen.

Michael, our primary account manager, was very responsive. I get the sense that ColorJar is a relatively small agency which enables them to provide a high level of personal touch in terms of communication and account management.

During the work-heavy parts of the project, it wasn’t uncommon for us to communicate via email multiple times a day. We contacted ColorJar via phone and email as issues and questions arose. We're less than one mile apart in Chicago, so we had in-person meetings at our office every couple of weeks and ad hoc meetings as needed.

They significantly expedited the discovery phase due to some constraints on our end. ColorJar was one of the few agencies that were willing to work with our timeline, and I appreciate how they were flexible and accommodating before even starting on the deliverables.

I was also impressed by their creativity, energy, and openness. It’s clear that their team is passionate about their work, and, by extension, the success of their clients.

There were a couple of times over the course of the engagement where it seemed as if ColorJar might have been under understaffed. The team seemed to be lacking a bit in terms of the resources that they had allocated to various projects.

Those were minor concerns, though. I can only think of a few situations when a task took a day or two longer than expected, and that never impacted the project in a significant way.

Even with these minor concerns, what you get from ColorJar in terms of the highly personalized attention and focus makes it worthwhile. For example, David, who’s the CEO of the company, was on-site for every single meeting with us. We really appreciated that.

Rebranding for Tourist Attraction & Civic Landmark

“Of the many firms we’ve worked with, ColorJar has the most thoughtful, practical, and research-grounded approach.”

Nov. 2018 - Ongoing

ColorJar is rebranding Chicago’s Navy Pier, an iconic tourist attraction and civic landmark. Deliverables include a new graphic identity, logo, and color scheme. They provide ongoing branding support.

Patrick M. Sheahan
Chief External Affairs and Strategy Officer, Navy Pier

ColorJar excels at managing expectations, as evidenced by their delivery of a new graphic identity that a variety of stakeholders, from board members to nearly eighty business partners, praise. The team expedites delivery and takes ownership of their work, treating the brand with great pride.

I’m the chief external affairs and strategy officer at Navy Pier, which has been an iconic part of Chicago since 1916. It served as a Red Cross volunteer training facility during World War I, a naval training facility during World War II, and the first home of the University of Illinois at Chicago. Navy Pier was established as a nonprofit in 2011 to maintain and redevelop one of the most important civic landmarks in the US. As part of our nonprofit work, we offer free arts and cultural programming to all nine million annual guests.

What challenge were you trying to address with ColorJar?

The pier has undergone significant physical and programmatic changes over the last five years, and our identity and logo haven’t kept up with these changes. We hired ColorJar to develop a new graphic identity for Navy Pier. We knew it would be challenging to come up with a completely new identity that would be accepted by our board, business partners, and visitors.

Another firm had developed our new brand platform, and ColorJar digested their work and incorporated it into identities that they created. They did focus group testing and also presented a selection of identities to our board and around 80 key business partners on the pier.

ColorJar designed our logo and determined our brand colors. They took inspiration from colors they found on the pier, which became the color palette that is now on our website and in our print materials.

We work with four individuals, including a project manager.

How did you come to work with ColorJar?

We interviewed several firms. We ultimately chose to work with ColorJar because they were enthusiastic about the pier. They incorporated into their work a key phrase of our brand platform, which is “where fun lives large,” and accepted the challenge of a short turnaround. The Navy Piers team was impressed by how much they brought to our first meeting. Their presentation was thoughtful and robust and included research they’d done ahead of time.

We’ve spent $60,000–$70,000.

Our work together began in November 2018, and it is very much ongoing as our brand evolves.

ColorJar delivered a whole new graphic identity that all of our stakeholders like, which is quite remarkable. We constantly receive feedback from people that they love our logo and color scheme, which we’d never heard before.

How did ColorJar perform from a project management standpoint?

They’ve been terrific. It’s rare for me to give such a high recommendation, but ColorJar has been incredibly thoughtful in their approach and the questions they’ve asked. Their processes are streamlined and sensible, and they meet all deadlines.

Of the many firms we’ve worked with, ColorJar has the most thoughtful, practical, and research-grounded approach. They’ve clearly done their homework at every phase of the project. The team is continually evolving and adapting. They’re passionate and enthusiastic, and they take great pride in their work. This wasn’t just another job in the pipeline, and that came through in everything they did. The various constituencies that ColorJar gave presentations to commented on their passion and dedication.

We’ve also been amazed by how quickly they’ve worked. The engagement began in mid-November, and by February, they had a process in place that we agreed on.

No, I really don’t think there are.

Trust their instincts and their process and engage in discussion. That will yield a great result.

Branding & Naming for Real Estate Development Company

"Everything they did for us was great. ... They exceeded my expectations."

June - Dec. 2018

ColorJar led a branding exercise and naming protocol for a residential real estate company. They also came up with fonts, colors, and iconography.

Shawn Clark
President, CRG Real Estate

Rental interest has improved dramatically since the engagement began, while internal feedback is overwhelmingly positive. ColorJar accepted constructive input and also brought creative ideas of their own to the table. High-quality deliverables made them a valuable partner.

I’m president of a vertically-integrated real estate development company. We identify sites across the country to develop industrial, multifamily, and office buildings. We typically sell them but occasionally we lease, operate and manage the properties.

What challenge were you trying to address with ColorJar?

Most of our projects are commercial, so we have a great B2B marketing platform. However, there was a lack of recognition of our brand when we started marketing multi-family developments to consumers. We needed to come up with a better way to message to potential residents and a better value proposition for renters.

ColorJar first helped us take a fresh look at our brand architecture. We had to determine whether or not we should use our existing development company brand as the consumer-facing brand. They recommended we create a new brand to serve as a product line for our apartment buildings. I then had to convince my leadership that we needed a new brand that was separate from the one we've already worked so hard to create. ColorJar helped me get the internal support I needed by creating decks.

Next we worked together to come up with the value proposition of the new brand. Since everything else we do is client-centric and usually about the kind of work that's going on inside of the buildings, we landed on the position that the new brand should be about the residents’ lives. ColorJar came up with the name "Chapter" to represent that they're living this chapter of their life in our building. The brand also conveys that we intend to design and orient our projects to help residents live that chapter with greater intention.

We also had an immediate need to name a building. ColorJar led us through naming exercises on the location of that building. They came up with a new naming method for all of our projects that evokes the neighborhood that they're in and an attribute of the area. Each one of our residential projects will follow that new naming strategy for the building name, followed by Chapter. They helped us come up with fonts, colors, and iconography for Chapter, which is a circle with a straight line down the middle and a filled-in area that looks like a moon. The circle plays off the concept of phases of the moon. Each building will have a custom icon that has a variety of lines inside the circle that speaks to the name of the building.

Michael (brand strategist, ColorJar) was the project manager and main point of contact.  I also worked with David (founder & CEO, ColorJar) and a graphic designer.

How did you come to work with ColorJar?

We actually were working with another group and were so unsatisfied that we began thinking about who could replace them. I’d met David years ago. His name was already in the back of my head, so I gave him a call. I went over to his office and had a good introductory conversation. We had such a good rapport that I showed them the scope of work and the contract. They offered to take over the project and match the existing terms and the scope.

We spent around $60,000–$80,000.

The project took place between June–December 2018.

Everything they did for us was great. The graphic designer did an awesome job. They met all the deadlines and exceeded my expectations. The building won’t be finished until June, and we're not going to begin leasing until May. We just launched our temporary website that includes a section for people to sign up to get information about the building. It’s really nicely done so we’re getting early interest from potential renters.

How did ColorJar perform from a project management standpoint?

Their team is great. The length of the project was due to me because there were times when I had to handle other important business and real estate issues. They were always able to quickly jump back in the driver's seat and provide the next deliverable. Also, the process required significant upfront work in terms of having to convince the rest of my executive team that we needed a new brand. ColorJar could have done the whole project in a month or two if I’d been able to give as much direction as they needed in real time. I was happy with their communication, work ethic, and timing.

ColorJar has a lean team that has genuine expertise in everything from branding and typologies to iconography. They definitely have sound fundamentals, but they've also got a unique philosophy about naming and branding. Instead of asking us to tell them what the value proposition was, they looked into our business and helped us create that message in an honest way. They acted like an extension of our in-house marketing team.

No, we had a really great experience them. Another positive was their transparency with the scope. They were good about communicating when we ventured off of our scope, as well as coming up with fair proposals for any changes. ColorJar did a great job of managing our expectations.

Overall Score We ended up with exactly what we hoped for.
    They met every deadline.
    They offer higher quality service compared to other firms.
    They delivered well-designed packages.
    I’ve already recommended them.

Rebranding for Venture Fund Management Company

“We felt that their team was invested in our company’s success.”

Dec. 2013 - June 2014

ColorJar helped develop and implement a rebranding strategy to help an evolving venture capital firm reach the investment community. The campaign included a new website and various promotional materials.

Nick Rosa
Co-CEO, Sandbox Industries

The rebrand was well-received by both internal employees and the targeted audience. ColorJar’s feedback and input was invaluable in planning the new brand direction. Their investment in the project was obvious through their effective communication and work ethic.

I am the co-CEO and managing director of the food and agriculture fund for Sandbox Industries. We were initially an incubation company, but transitioned into the venture management space.

What challenge were you trying to address with ColorJar?

We wanted to refresh our company’s brand to reflect our new direction and evolving service portfolio.

Initially, ColorJar guided us through a painstaking discussion stage to help conceptualize the future of Sandbox and our desired vision. Once we agreed on a brand strategy, the team fully designed and developed our website, and created promotional materials, company guidelines, and a statement book to share with potential clients.

I worked mainly with one representative, but there were a few other people involved.

How did you come to work with ColorJar?

I was familiar with their past work and favorable reputation within Chicago’s tech community. They had previously partnered with many companies that I respected and we decided to reach out for an interview. We ultimately chose ColorJar because they were a smaller corporation and could provide more attention from senior-level employees.

We spent between $100,000­–$250,000 on the rebrand.

We worked together from December 2013–June 2014.

We received several positive responses to the rebrand from members of the investment community. Additionally, our employees were very receptive to the new brand and company values.

How did ColorJar perform from a project management standpoint?

I have no complaints in regards to ColorJar’s project management. The only hold-ups in the project resulted from our own inability to make decisions. Their team kept us on track as best they could. Their flexibility allowed for effective collaboration throughout the engagement.

They are extremely knowledgeable in their field and fully embraced each task. I was very happy with the level attention we received from their senior employees. We felt that their team was invested in our company’s success.

Their service was great, given the fact that we were a challenging client.

Overall Score It was an excellent experience.
    Despite their busy schedule, they managed their time well.
    We were very pleased with the quality.
    A friend just asked for a referral, and I plan on recommending them.

Rebranding & Web Dev for Aerospace Components Manufacturer

“They were great to work with. There isn’t anything we would’ve wanted done differently.”

Apr. - Aug. 2017

ColorJar oversaw a complete rebrand for an existing company. Deliverables included a new logo, an updated website, new color schemes, improved messaging, and a brand guidebook with templates.

President & CEO, Aerospace Components Manufacturer

The new brand identity has garnered a great deal of positive feedback from established employees. The ColorJar team communicated effectively and made sure the client’s vision was reflected in their work. Project management was thorough and well coordinated.

I’m the president and CEO of a company that manufactures aerospace and defense components, primarily for original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and prime aircraft makers.

What challenge were you trying to address with ColorJar?

We had purchased the business from a family that had owned it for 47 years, and the look and feel of the brand needed to be overhauled. This included a new logo, website, color scheme, and positioning. We wanted our employees to feel like they were a part of something that’s new and fresh. We also wanted to make clear to our customers that we’re investing in the business to create a better experience for them.

We initially had several phone calls with the ColorJar team, and they joined us onsite for a couple of days. We walked them through everything from what our company does to what our strengths and weaknesses are in terms of our capabilities. They used all the information we provided to position the company effectively and create a new logo as well. Final deliverables included the logo, an updated website, key messaging and language, and a brand guidebook with various templates for presentations and marketing materials.

I primarily worked with the CEO and a few other executives, and occasionally other members of the team would be involved in conversations about specific aspects of the brand.

How did you come to work with ColorJar?

I was introduced to David several years ago but didn’t end up working with him then. For this project, we had interviewed a few local companies. ColorJar was extremely professional, and their portfolio showed a much higher standard of quality than their competitors. This combined with low pricing made them an easy choice for the project.

We spent about $75,000.

We started working with them in April 2017, and they sent the final deliverables in August 2017.

We’ve received a lot of positive internal feedback from employees that have been here for many years. They’ve really appreciated the work we’ve done with ColorJar.

How did ColorJar perform from a project management standpoint?

I didn’t have any complaints. We used Basecamp to track progress and share documents, and the whole process was well coordinated by our project manager.

The CEO is very impressive. The way he communicates and processes information made him stand out during the interview process.

Any delays were usually on our end. They were great to work with, and there isn’t anything we would’ve wanted done differently.

Overall Score I enjoyed the experience we had working with them, and we’re very pleased with the outcomes.
    Some delays were our fault, but they could’ve pushed us a bit further.
    They were comparable to other companies we considered.
    They were very professional, and deliverables met or exceeded our expectations.
    I would highly recommend them. They did a great job for us.

Branding & Marketing for Food Service Company

"Everyone is pleased with the work they are doing and the products that they’re producing for us."

Aug. 2017 - Ongoing

ColorJar leads a comprehensive marketing program, focusing on brand strategy and brand guidelines.

Jim Horan
CEO, Blue Plate

While still in the beginning phases, internal feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. ColorJar’s expert team inspires confidence in the project through their meticulous organization and excellent communication. High-quality deliverables are hallmarks of their work.

I'm the CEO for a food service company in Chicago. We provide specialty food services to various cultural institutions in the city, as well as private events such as weddings.

What challenge were you trying to address with ColorJar?

While we’d previously handled our marketing in-house, we decided to outsource some of the marketing responsibilities.

ColorJar is putting together a comprehensive marketing program. We’ve reviewed all of our marketing materials with them. They’re in the process now of working on everything from brand strategy to brand guidelines.

We work with two members of their team.

How did you come to work with ColorJar?

We reached out to some of our contacts in the community for assistance. We researched 10 companies and we narrowed the list down to three finalists. We ended up choosing ColorJar because we felt they were the best fit. They have a similar philosophy and culture to ours so we’re comfortable with them. We also really liked their competencies and their approach to business. We felt we could work well together.

We’ve spent between $100,000–$250,000.

We began working together in August 2017 and the engagement is ongoing.

We've gotten very robust, positive feedback from various parts of the business. Everyone is pleased with the work they are doing and the products that they’re producing for us.

How did ColorJar perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re very organized, very detailed, and very effective. We have weekly meetings where we involve different members of our teams.

When we first thought about outsourcing our marketing, we were apprehensive about the level of ownership and engagement. ColorJar is very committed and engaged. They truly act like an extension of our business.

No, I haven’t gotten any negative feedback about their work. It takes a while to develop synergies with any new relationship, but it didn't take long with them because they're so committed to us. I really don't have any criticism or concern.

Overall Score They show an extraordinary level of engagement and involvement.
    Their effectiveness helps us move faster.
    We're getting high-quality work for the cost.
    We couldn't be happier with the quality of their work.

Branding for DIY Rental Platform

“They're a great team to work with. … They delivered everything we expected and more.”

Nov. 2017 - Ongoing

Spearheading a branding campaign, ColorJar defined a mission statement, company’s core values, and user personas. Then, they created a brand identity and built brand expressions that resonate with customers.

Ryan Coon
Co-Founder, Rentalutations

The internal team loves the brand and the employee engagement has increased. Addressing all the potential issues before the project started, they made sure nothing detailed the progress, while their responsiveness to feedback helped them deliver a top-notch product.

I'm a co-founder and CEO of Rentalutations. We offer a platform that improves rental experience for do-it-yourself landlords and their tenants.

What challenge were you trying to address with ColorJar?

We wanted to improve our brand messaging and brand identity, so we were looking for a company to help us with that.

It was a three-step process. The first phase was developing the brand foundation: we identified our business, our mission statement, user personas, and company values. That process helped us clarify why the brand exists.

During the second phase, we were developing the brand identity: we chose our name, colors, a logo, and other brand assets. The third phase was focused on putting all those assets together in a clear way and building brand expressions that resonated with the users we identified in phase one.

We had several people on our team, but we mostly worked with David (Gardner, Fonder and CEO, ColorJar).

How did you come to work with them?

They have a great reputation in the Chicago tech community. Besides, some of our investors and advisors recommended ColorJar to us. We met with several firms, but we felt most comfortable with ColorJar.

We spent between $50,000–$100,000.

We started working with them in November 2017 and the relationship is ongoing.

We received positive feedback from our internal team and our employee engagement has increased. The platform is not live yet, so we haven’t launched a brand either.

How did they perform from a project management standpoint?

They did an excellent job and performed a project pre-mortem, addressing all the potential issues that could derail or hinder the project. They're great communicators and included us in discussions when needed.

They're very experienced and thoughtful. We provided a lot of feedback at every stage and they were very responsive to it.

I can't think of anything.

Overall Score They delivered everything we expected and more.
    They were available when we needed them, but sometimes they could have pushed us harder.
    They're a little expensive, but their quality of work is very high and matches the investment on our side.
    Even though we had to revise their first iteration, the final product was very high-quality.
    They're a great team to work with.

WordPress Development for Restaurant Chain

"We appreciate how much ColorJar cares about us, our site, and our business."

2015 - Ongoing

ColorJar is refreshing an old, unwieldy restaurant website in WordPress. The project is ongoing and involves improving user experience and analytics.

VP of Marketing, Restaurant Chain

The first project manager did not meet expectations, so ColorJar quickly assigned a replacement who proved to be a better fit. This led to a positive working relationship and showed that ColorJar cares for its clients.

I am the vice president of marketing for a restaurant chain. We own, manage, and operate over 100 restaurants throughout the US. We have locations in Arizona, Chicago, Los Angeles, Minnesota, and Washington, DC.

What challenge were you trying to address with ColorJar?

We worked with another firm when we first launched the site in 2008. Our old website was outdated and very large, so we wanted to build a new one. We needed a partner who could redesign, improve it technically, and launch it.

ColorJar is providing full-scope development for our WordPress site. Depending on the portion of our project, there are between five and ten people from ColorJar working on the site.

How did you come to work with ColorJar?

Someone on our team had a relationship with ColorJar’s founder, David Gardner. We were interested in working with a local company from Chicago that understood our restaurants and had possibly even dined in them.

We had our initial talks with ColorJar at the end of 2015. The project started at the beginning of 2016, and the relationship is ongoing.

We plan to launch the first phase of the site in June 2017. The analytics behind it and the number of users accessing the site will be my main priorities for the project. The goal is to take the existing data from our current website and see some improved key performance indicators. We also need to make sure that the user experience is better. We will be focused on the backend data and will work with ColorJar on a continuous basis, making sure that the site is meeting everyone’s needs.

How did ColorJar perform from a project management standpoint?

Our current project manager is incredible. The start was a bit rocky because ColorJar’s manager didn’t push us as much as we’d have liked. ColorJar recognized this and changed our project manager. The person we’re working with now is excellent.

What did you find most impressive about ColorJar?

We appreciate how much ColorJar cares about us, our site, and our business. This has led to the positive relationship we have. They wanted to be an extension of our team and really be a part of the process. ColorJar dove in and immersed themselves in as much information as was possible. I found that to be impressive.

Are there any areas ColorJar could improve?

We are working with some very vocal partners on our side who are not necessarily technical people. ColorJar could have managed expectations a bit better with our partners, which came down to the project manager we were working with. We’ve learned a lesson and determined that we had to be strict with milestones and deadlines. There are many opinions in our organization, so I don’t completely fault ColorJar. It’s hard to please everyone. Once we regrouped and reset, the process became seamless.

Overall Score I took off half a point because of the project manager situation, but I give ColorJar kudos for recognizing it and making a change.
    It’s very important to have a project manager who can handle different personalities, expectations, and deadlines for large projects. Based only on the new project manager, I’d probably rate them higher, but my rating is for the overall experience.
    As a restaurant company, our profit margins are very small. ColorJar is an expensive option, but we get what we pay for. There’s value in what we’ve invested.
    ColorJar’s team pride themselves in the quality they’ve delivered. They were impeccable about keeping their word. They didn’t make assumptions, did their homework, and worked efficiently.
    I was comfortable with the process, so I would recommend ColorJar for anyone who has good project management and knows what direction to take. ColorJar can be a good extension of the team, and they’re a pleasure to be around.

Web Design for Digital Marketplace Company

"[They] are truly very unique, creative people who do an incredibly good job."

ColorJar restructured a digital event marketplace's homepage to increase engagement and convey company values. The project mainly involved design and content creation.

Marketing Director, Digital Marketplace Company

The new website vividly communicates the company's values and services. ColorJar worked on a demanding timeline while still delivering a creative, effective product. The team's ability to understand company goals, brainstorm strategy, and produce top-notch content make them an valuable partner.

Please describe your company.

We’ve created a digital marketplace for our clients to find prepackaged event experiences to entertain their corporate clients. What we’ve done is, we’ve communicated with venues to create these experiences in a prepackaged way. Within four or five clicks on our home page, you’ve got a fully vetted, completely structured, and engaging event experience that you don’t have to worry about.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I’m the Marketing Director.

What was your goal for working with ColorJar?

We don’t tout ourselves as an event company. We are much more inclined to call ourselves a digital marketplace. ColorJar has done an incredible job in helping us really push that message to the forefront, both stylistically and through development on the back-end. We try and describe ourselves as a place where you can come transact and purchase this particular good. One of our biggest goals of partnering with ColorJar is to better build trust with the consumer and clearly communicate our value propositions, so that a new customer or client of ours has more of an inclination to go to our website and purchase an event, without having to call in or request more information.

ColorJar is in the process of restructuring our entire home page. It is a huge undertaking, and it’s something they’ve done very well and have worked very diligently on. We gave them a very tight timeframe, and we’re quite close to completing our goal of having everything restructured. They’ve been able to take the things that we like to articulate on our home page, from aspirational content, to functional content and create a dynamic page that allows us to really articulate that we are a marketplace not event planners.

What was your process for selecting ColorJar with which to work?

They’ve been a partner of ours since our inception. They worked on our original website about a year and a half ago and did a great job so we wanted to bring them on for the restructuring of the website. This current project has been fast and furious; it’s come very quickly. They’ve been working on this particular project for three weeks, and they’ve been able to turn around a handful of edits, and really have delivered on their promise to have everything that we wanted in that particular timeframe. So, they’ve been very good with us, and to us, during the last few weeks.

I don’t have a dollar amount for you but they have been working intensively during the last couple weeks to meet our turnaround goal.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

They have created a rigid timeline for what they can do, and when they expect to do it, and they have certainly delivered on their timeline to us. They have met the difficulty of creating this thing in a short time frame. So, in terms of a very minimum, meeting those requirements, they’ve been great during this time period.

I would assume they tout themselves as a creative agency, and I think that we use that word pretty liberally. ColorJar, their founder, and the rest of the team there, are truly very unique, creative people who do an incredibly good job at not only ideating, but also helping guide the development of content, style, and product development. They are very good at listening, understanding these business problems we have, and then being able to act on a very strategic plan to accomplish our business needs.

I don’t know of anything that really comes to mind that I would put in a negative or even constructive light. They’ve been really spot on the last few weeks.

Website Design For Innovative Art Company

"They're very good at putting technical concepts in terms that are easy for anyone to understand."

ColorJar implemented updates to an art company's website. The goal of the project was to improve performance and boost mobile conversion rates.

Senior Manager, Innovative Art Company

Despite starting from imperfect code, ColorJar was able to deliver a functional product. The team was approachable, flexible, and willing to explain complex technical concepts in an understandable way. Their ability to delegate tasks within the team made the process run smoothly.

Our mission is to support independent artists and connect people through art. Right now, we’re doing that through artist-designed footwear, but we eventually think this platform will be relevant to other canvases.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I’m a senior manager of digital strategy.

What was your goal for working with ColorJar?

We had a huge performance issue with the website. We were open to different options when we partnered with ColorJar. We ended up going through a few different sessions with senior leadership on our team as well as with senior leaders of ColorJar to determine where it made the most sense for us to partner with them.

We have a lot of mobile traffic with relatively low conversion. Our goal was to increase conversion on tablet and on mobile, but we also did not want to take up too much bandwidth from our engineering team.

What was your process for selecting ColorJar with which to work?

We looked at a few other firms and we decided to partner with ColorJar because we felt it was a good culture fit, their company size was just right, and they were the agency that fit the model for what we were looking for in terms of having Magento experience.

Are you satisfied with their performance?

Overall, we are happy. Given the state of the code that they were handed, it wasn’t in the best form. It’s hard to quantify that. With any digital project, there can be some hiccups and snakes in the grass and we definitely had that. It wasn’t 100 percent perfect, but there were a lot of positive outcomes.

Is there anything unique about ColorJar that set them apart from other business partners?

I think that culturally, they're very friendly. They're very good at putting technical concepts in terms that are easy for anyone to understand. They were also great at managing the internal time and energy that was needed from our team.

One thing to improve upon would be their scoping of the project. We had a little trouble with our final integration that I believe could have been foreseen with a more holistic view of the project from the start all the way to the finish line.

Gold