Extraordinary mobile apps begin here.

CitrusBits is a mobile app development agency that designs and develops impactful mobile apps and responsive mobile content for businesses of all types.

Having developed critical mobile apps for clients including Burger King, Quiksilver, Symantec, and Sotheby’s, CitrusBits is trusted by movers and shakers across all major industries. Yet, we’ve also enjoyed helping small and midsize businesses and select startups turn their mobile aspirations into juicy ROI.

We’re passionate about leveraging mobile technology – including iOS, Android, Swift applications, virtual reality, blockchain, and The Internet of Things (IoT) – to help businesses disrupt entire industries and reach their loftiest goals.

CitrusBits has helped hundreds of businesses build game-changing mobile apps for more than ten years. Please get in touch if you’d like to talk about your next project.

2005
    San Francisco, CA 94105
    450 Lexington Ave
    New York, NY 10017
    925-452-6012

Burger King, Quiksilver, Altera, National Geographic, Symantec, and Sotheby's, to name a few.

We're also extremely proud of the startups we've worked with, which include ExtraPlate, Appthority and Fit With It.

QuikSilver App

Quiksilver came to us for a way to process orders and manage inventory for their 100000+ SKUs, organized by category and season, that performed perfectly across their 940 stores all over the world. The app needed to integrate with their POS and SAP and have a beautiful and intuitive UI that their sales team could learn to use quickly and efficiently, plus provide reliable shopping cart functionality. The Quiksilver B2B Enterprise app has set standards for creativity and effeciency.

IrisVision VR App for Low vision

IrisVision brings the miracle of sight back to the low-vision community. By using live video feed and magnification options combined with the tech advancements offered in virtual reality, people who have suffered from vision loss get a chance to see the faces of their loved ones, and function independently again. The challenge? Package this life-changing adaptive tech into a mobile that performs perfectly on low-cost phone hardware, without draining the battery. Citrusbits VR App Development team took this challenge and created an amazing App that is changing the life of hundreds of users.

ChemoWave HIPPA Compliant Mobile App

The chemoWave app has the important task of receiving data input from chemotherapy patients, and organizing, analyzing, and displaying that information. This was achieved with beauty and clarity, giving the patient empowering insights into their health and well-being. This unique service was held to high standards, making it Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliant, to protect patients’ sensitive data. A fully HIPAA Compliant Mobile App, Chemowave is changing life for millions of cancer patients.

Burger King

Burger King came to CitrusBits to rebuild and expand their empire. Reviews were showing that users were not satisfied with the previous iteration of their app, which lacked the multilingual and international capabilities a true ruler should have. Maintaining stellar performance when handling a large number of users is always a challenge, and in this case our Mobile App Developers quest was even more epic because we had to conquer 30+ countries (many of which suffer from unreliable mobile data reception) and deliver the app in as many languages.

JobFlare

JobFlare is a product of Criteria Corp. Founded in 2006, Criteria Corp is a pre-employment testing company that provides a suite of aptitude, personality, and skills tests administered through HireSelect, a SaaS hiring platform for employers. With more than 2,500 active customers worldwide, Criteria makes pre-employment testing accessible to businesses of all sizes, enabling them to make data-driven hiring decisions. The tests are validated by a robust Scientific Advisory Board which is made up of leading psychologists and test development experts from Harvard University, Penn State University, Stanford University, and the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.

Client Testimonials

Citrusbits Clients

Mobile App Project for Lyfe Social Startup

"I bet any other company would charge extra for the little things missed in planning, but that's what sets Citrusbits on a higher level than the rest."

Jun. 2015 - Ongoing

Citrusbits was selected by a solo entrepreneur to bring his content sharing concept to life through a mobile app launch. Citrusbits built the app on iOS and Android with the goal of sharing global content with people around the world.

Startup

Los Angeles, California Area
Founder, Lyfe

Citrusbits delivered an effective mobile application that the client is proud of despite modest project delays. They included extra features at no cost that weren't covered in the planning documents and were flexible to overcome project challenges.

Get A Lyfe is a social networking company aiming to help people discover new and interesting content from all over the world. We are located in Los Angeles, CA. and I'm the only employee currently working at Lyfe. I’ve hired all the people that work on Lyfe, externally.

Currently, I'm the Founder & CEO of the company. I’ve been creating this app since my days in middle school, and I'm just happy to see it becoming what I always knew it would be. My role is to find the people that will help me bring my idea to life and help me get this app noticed by the whole world. I have other duties, but I feel I already spoke about myself at a great length.

I’m not a tech-savvy person. Having to find a company that could build my idea into a reality was a big challenge. But every challenge is an opportunity to do something great. I did my research for 6 months and concluded that Citrusbits was the perfect company for the job.

I discovered Citrusbits by doing a ton of research. I looked for the best application development firms in California, and among others, Citrusbits kept showing up. I went through their projects and instantly felt they were the right ones for the job. My research was based on Google searches and finding other helpful content online.

The solution they provided me with was making my designs cleaner and then making those designs functional. The scope was to take my designs and make it into a full-scale social networking platform.

Citrusbits performed their tasks very well. A few hiccups along the way but that's to be expected for any project. Citrusbits didn't derail. Instead, they kept moving forward until I was satisfied with their work.

Citusbits went above and beyond. There were some things we missed in the planning stage. Those things later came up, and Citrusbits included them into the project at no extra charge. I bet any other company would charge extra for the little things missed in planning, but that's what sets Citrusbits on a higher level than the rest.

If anything, the only thing they should improve on is deadlines and delays. Everything else they do is done very well. I wouldn't change anything else.

Overall Score Overall score from me is a 9 out of 10. I put a lot of research into making sure I hired the right company to build my dream app, and I honestly feel that I got exactly what I wanted. Citrusbits is an amazing company that knows what they are doing.
    Scheduling is the only thing that I'm 70/30 about. Many missed deadlines and delays extended the timeline incredibly. In the end, I got what I wanted because the team at Citrusbits never gives up. Even though, the project is ongoing.
    I knew that what I wanted to have built was going to cost a lot of capital because of the complexity of my project. And I was right! But I feel like I got a good deal on my big project with Citrusbits with having to compromise.
    The quality of the application is very clean! I love how it came out looking so amazing! Citrusbits took my designs, made them into what I always felt my idea should look like, and made it into a reality. They're good!
    I am definitely willing to refer as many people as possible to Citrusbits. In all honesty, I've already referred many people to Citrusbits after I noticed how good their build quality is. And I will continue to do so.

App Development for Vision Board Mobile App

"What distinguished Citrusbits was their determination and willingness to take on a project that no one else wanted."

Mar. 2015 - Ongoing

Citrusbits designed and programmed an Android vision board app with complex subliminal features. They will soon begin work on the iOS version of the app.

Greg Tosian
Owner, Subliminal Vision Boards

The app has received a positive response and is currently rated number one in the Google Play Store for vision boards. Citrusbits was exceptionally responsive, involved, and detail-oriented.

Our organization is called Subliminal Vision Boards. I am the owner, along with my parents and girlfriend. My position is in marketing, and I manage our relationship with Citrusbits through the whole process.

What challenge were you trying to address with Citrusbits?

The law of attraction is a cool concept, and my girlfriend, and I believe in it. It’s quite a big thing today and a lot of people use vision boards. When people create vision boards, they usually cut up pictures from magazines. But, sometimes, they can’t find exactly what they want in a magazine. We figured a mobile device would help. For example, if you want to manifest a red Ferrari into your life, just go to Google Images and type in "red Ferrari." I also came up with the subliminal part because I know that attracting things subliminally can make things happen much faster.

Citrusbits focused on designing and programming an Android app for us, which turned out well. We supplied them with colors and fonts, and they covered the technical aspects. Before implementation, they made sure we were happy with everything. They wanted to make sure we were 100 percent satisfied before moving on because they did everything in phases. We had to mark off things saying, "It’s completed, move on to the next phase," which was nice. They made sure that we were on board with what they were doing. For example, there’s a feature within the app called Subliminal Take Five. A user can select this when creating a vision board. It allows all the images and text affirmations on a vision board to be subliminally inserted into the subconscious mind. At the end of the five-minute session, the app gives you a summary of how many times the images and affirmations passed into your subconscious. This accelerates the law of attraction.

How did you come to work with Citrusbits?

I was not familiar with the app industry, so I just started doing research online and contacting companies a year ago. Citrusbits was the only company that was willing to take on the challenge. Many companies said the subliminal aspect of the app was impossible. Citrusbits said, "We can make it happen," and they did. I definitely went with them because no one else wanted to take it on.

We started working with Citrusbits in March 2015 and the target completion date was December. It took them a while, but we wanted to make sure everything was perfect since our app is not your average app. The subliminal technology especially took some time, but they did a good job on it. Soon, Citrusbits will start working on the iOS version of the app. We’re excited about that.

The response has been amazing, and the app is starting to take off. Thanks to Citrusbits, we’re getting great reviews and ratings in the Google Play Store. We’re currently rated number one in the Google Play Store for vision boards.

How did Citrusbits perform from a project management standpoint?

From a project management standpoint, Citrusbits was on top of things. If we needed anything, they’re right there. We worked with Stacey Lee and coordinated using Basecamp, a software that Citrusbits recommended. It allowed us to communicate any issues back and forth. Michael [Greff, director of products and cofounder at Citrusbits] was great and responded within two seconds. There was no waiting time as all of them responded quickly. They were always available for conference calls. If they had questions, we were always involved. That was the main thing. They never did anything without our knowledge. It was a great experience working with people who made things happen as quickly as they did.

What did you find most impressive about Citrusbits?

What distinguished Citrusbits was their determination and willingness to take on a project that no one else wanted. Everyone said that it couldn’t be done, and Citrusbits managed to find a way to make it happen. I had interviewed quite a few other companies, and they weren’t ready to take on a challenge like this because of the whole subliminal aspect. They were also very detailed, and it was nice working with them. They called us up any time they had questions. I was impressed with all that they’ve done. To this day, if we need anything, they’re right there and took care of it – no questions asked.

Are there any areas Citrusbits could improve?

I don’t think there are any areas that need improvement. Citrusbits went above and beyond the call of duty.

Overall Score I’ve had no problems whatsoever with this company. We couldn’t be happier.
    Citrusbits was always ahead of schedule. We would sit down with them and go over guidelines and timelines.
    The cost was very good. They were competitive compared with other companies.
    The quality and service was undeniably top-notch. They were always there when we needed them.
    We’re very satisfied with everything that’s happened, and we feel that if they can do a good job for us, they can do a good job for anybody.

App Development for Global Restaurant Chain

"We have been impressed by the quality and speed of work delivered by Citrusbits."

Citrusbits developed a multilingual mobile app for iOS and Android platforms. They also completed an online CMS. Phase one of the project is complete, but the engagement is ongoing.

Miami, Florida
Communications Manager, Latin America, Global Restaurant Chain

The app has an average of 4.5 stars in the Apple and Google Play stores, and has had thousands of downloads. The client is also migrating 250,000 users from their previous apps to the new one.

I work for a global restaurant chain operating in Latin America. I am the Communications Manager for the region.

We were looking for a mobile app company to design and develop a multi-language, multi-country couponing app for both Android and iOS operating systems. Each country needed to be able to customize their content through an easy to use online CMS [content management system]. The goal of the apps is to improve restaurant sales and traffic.

We did a big search and got many good referrals, and in the end we went with Citrusbits. We felt they were the hungriest for the job and they were aligned with us on their hard work ethic. The project lasted 9 months and in that time they delivered:

1. An online CMS available in 3 languages.
  2. An Android app available in 3 languages.
  3. An iOS app Available in 3 languages.

All deliverables successfully passed all quality assurance and legal requirements. Phase one of the project has already been completed. The application is live and in the Apple and Google stores.

We have an ongoing relationship with Citrusbits, as we are constantly working on upgrades and new features for the app, and developing strategies to expand the app to a larger user base.

Citrusbits did an excellent job in delivering all that was requested of them, and they did it all in an extremely professional, timely manner and on budget. The app Citrusbits designed and built has seen thousands of downloads and has an average of 4.5 stars in the Apple and Google Play stores. As a result of this success, we are also in the process of migrating 250,000 users from our other apps to this application.

The team was enthusiastic and driven from the get-go. We were very impressed by Citrusbits’ work ethic, professionalism, and enthusiasm about the project. The deliverables we received throughout the development process were on-time and top quality. I have no improvements to suggest for Citrusbits as we are thoroughly satisfied. We have been impressed by the quality and speed of work delivered by Citrusbits.

Mobile Development for Daily Deals Website

"The [Citrusbits] team did an awesome job in not only developing a great UI, but also delivering a great UX experience."

Citrusbits created a mobile daily deals app that relied on excellent UX. The app included functionalities such as GPS, alerts, and notifications.

Dallas/Fort Worth Metro Area

The customer was very pleased with the product, especially the UI/UX. They praised Citrusbits for their flexibility, organization, and level of visibility.

I work for Parago, a Blackhawk Network Company. I am the vice president and chief marketing officer of the Beget Division, which was focused on building a daily deal business competing with Groupon and Social Living.

Blackhawk Network is a global organization operating in 24 countries and leads the market in being the pioneering leader in all things prepaid – partners with the best and biggest brands and retailers to provide a wide selection of desirable gift cards, prepaid digital products, prepaid telecom products, and financial service products via a global distribution network.

Our products can be found wherever consumers shop – both in-store and online – including grocery, mass merchants, convenience, specialty retailers, financial service providers and mobile wallets. Our patented technology and systems ensure smooth processing of prepaid transactions, accurate product delivery, targeted marketing programs, and more.

In 2011, right around when Groupon's daily deal business was taking off, and many daily deal providers were emerging, we launched a new division to build a daily deal business that required developing a new ecommerce platform from zero lines of code with the plan to have the business in multiple markets around the United States in less than a year. We built the product in-house, but didn't have bandwidth, resources, or skill set to get a mobile app with this launch.

A strong mobile app was crucial for the success of this project. Back then, even Groupon didn't have the GPS finder features in their app, and this was an opportunity for us to launch a new business with features and functionalities that make the product sticky and deliver a much better experience than what was available by our competitors.

The goal was to deliver an experience with this app that can go beyond the mobile responsiveness, and provide features and functionalities that can be mobile specific like GPS finder, alerts, and notification. Additionally, we needed a strong UX/UI [user experience/user interface], much better than our competitors with a very sleek interface making it easy for users to find the right offer through hundreds of available offers. The UX was extremely important for the success of this product.

We spoke to many vendors and, through the due diligence, we found either they couldn't deliver the product in time or lack the design and UX capabilities we needed that can fit well with the website and mobile experience we built.

The Citrus team was very responsive in the sales process. Mobile apps with the functionality we were asking were not fairly common. We didn't understand how much we should be paying for such a project.

The Citrus team helped us flush out the requirements, which helped us understand the complexities and opportunities, and we were pleased with the process used to help us understand the cost.

The team did an awesome job in not only developing a great UI, but also delivering a great UX experience that made the app desirable to our customers. The project was delivered within the expected timeline. We changed some of the scope in the middle of the project, and team was great at helping us understand the implication of any delays on the original defined deadline, and descoping to get the high-value features set in the first release.

The Citrus team was very organized and kept us in the loop throughout the project. I should add they are a true agile shop and provided us with the level of visibility we asked thought out the project. All and all, we were pleased with the outcome.

App Development for Startup Company

"Citrusbits has done an amazing job bringing my idea to life."

Citrusbits developed a fitness mobile app, created a website, and produced a promotional video. The project is ongoing; the app is expected to launch in July.

Startup

Sacramento, California
Owner, Fitness Startup

Citrusbits exceeded all expectations. The client was extremely pleased with the products and the service, citing Citrusbits' creativity, accountability, and design capabilities.

Fitness Groupie is a startup company that is creating a mobile app to help individuals connect with their friends, co-workers, or even strangers, to achieve their fitness goals.

We were looking for a company who was extremely creative, accountable, and willing to work with startup companies. Price and personality were key for us when making a decision.

Citrusbits built my prototype mobile application from scratch. We expect to launch the application in July. They already have created my website and a promotional video. The work is ongoing but we expect to be done in 3-4 months.

Citrusbits has done an amazing job bringing my idea to life. They have exceeded all my expectations with design and added features. They are extremely creative, accountable, and most of all, fun to work with. I highly recommend Citrusbits!

They are a patient and funny group that can work with non-technical clients. I didn't expect the process to be so easy and smooth.

Mobile Development for Lighting Specialist

"I am satisfied with Citrusbits. They've been very responsive."

After designing an app and completing its graphics, a small business hired Citrusbits to handle all aspects of its technical development. The app was used to remotely control household appliances.

Lighting Specialist

The app provided a useful, much-needed service and received widely positive feedback from its initial users. Citrusbits delivered consistently high-quality development work and excellent customer service. The agency impressed with their responsiveness and their ability to understand client needs.

We are a very small company, consisting basically of myself. I'm a professional lighting programmer.

I'm the owner.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Citrusbits?

I work in television, and I contracted Citrusbits to develop an application where you can connect a mobile device to a lighting console, and control the console remotely.

The app is used both by my clients and myself. We are selling it in the hopes of breaking even on it but, essentially, we developed it for our own use.

They provided the technical side of the project. I designed it myself, we built all the layouts, I did all the graphics, and they provided the technical solution.

How did you come to work with Citrusbits?

There was a long process of selection. It's not your typical mobile application. At first, we were looking for a business partner who would want to join us, and who would have the technical expertise. We weren't able to find that, so we started looking at companies.

Since the app is not anything that's been worked on before, and has nothing to do with regular mobile phone issues, it took us a long time to find someone who was interested. In the end, it was an individual inside the company, who had an interest in theatrical lighting, which wrapped his arms around it. They have an L.A. office. I went there, and we liked them from the start. They seemed like a nice group of people, and we moved on from there.

It's on the low side of the $50,000 to 200,000 segment.

We've completed the Android side. In general, it's an ongoing project. We've broken it up into stages, for financing reasons. They're currently coding iOS.

We have gotten some user feedback, and it's been incredibly positive. The quality of the app is good, and its placement in the industry is good. People who use this particular lighting console have been hungry for something that does this. The people we've given it to, and the ones who've purchased it gave me no negative feedback.

How did Citrusbits perform from a project management standpoint?

I am satisfied with them. They've been very responsive. Again, this is not your typical application, so, while they have a lot of expertise as far as working on the software side, they know nothing about lighting. The entire time, we needed to guide them, and make them understand what the app is even supposed to do. They don't work in the industry, so there's no reason they would know anything about it. At times, I was concerned that it would be too much interaction, just a long litany of concerns. They went with the punches, and it was no big deal. I feel that they did a great job.

What distinguishes Citrusbits from other providers?

I'm not sure I can answer that. I don't have a ton of experience with other companies. We contacted a number of developers, and many them simply couldn't understand what we were trying to do. Citrusbits took their time to listen, and I do feel that the owner took a leap of faith. They had no idea what it would cost to produce. We kept telling them that we have it buttoned down, we have all the design specs, we know exactly what we need to do, and won't waste their time. In the end, they did need to take a leap of faith that it would work out at the price they quoted. I think it's worked out. We're certainly happy with the product.

Is there anything Citrusbits could have improved or done differently?

There are things that I would have done differently in terms of how we laid out the package for them. We did it in a lot of detail, but it was done in a number of phases. There was probably conflicting information in the various forms of specifications that we sent them. That was a problem on our part, not theirs. Their guys would look at one form of specifications for one thing, and another for another. Even when we gave them essentially the wrong information, it was no big deal to them. They rolled with the punches.

App Design for Health Center

"Citrusbits kept us informed every step along the way."

Citrusbits used a healthcare center's ideas to design and develop a multi-platform mobile app. The agency was also responsible for adding features and designing the user experience.

1001-10,000 employees

Operations Director, Health Center

Citrusbits delivered high-quality work, which was reflected in the initial positive feedback to the app's early stages. The team also earned praise for their responsiveness, flexible scheduling, and ability to turn concepts into technically functional solutions.

We run medical clinics, drug treatment programs, and education and prevention programs. We're a nonprofit organization.

I'm the director of community programs and services.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Citrusbits?

We want to provide a dating app for young adults, that also has safer sex and health education materials built in.

They designed the mobile application. They took our ideas, and used their experience to make it better. The final version is much better than we ever imagined. They've added several features that we didn't even know were possible. The app will be available on iOS and Android. They worked on both versions.

How did you come to work with Citrusbits?

I knew nothing about doing mobile apps, so I went online, looked at reviews, and made appointments with six different app developers. I think Citrusbits were the fourth we met with. After the meeting, it was clear that they were the ones to go with. They seemed very knowledgeable and spoke a language I understood. They've been very patient with us as we don't know anything about apps.

Right above $50,000.

The project is almost completed. It's been submitted to the App Store, and we're waiting for it to be approved.

We've gotten very little feedback so far. We have an unfinished version that we use just within the company. The feedback for that was great, but we won't do real testing until we get the finished app on the App Store or Google Play store.

How did Citrusbits perform from a project management standpoint?

We're very satisfied. They've kept us informed every step along the way. They've given us enough time to figure out aspects that we weren't sure about, before moving forward. Overall, we've been very happy.

What distinguishes Citrusbits from other providers?

They have the ability to be responsive to what we needed, and take our ideas, and shape them into an app that people would want to use. I didn't really see that with the other agencies I met with. They were willing to make what we wanted, but weren't offering suggestions on how to make it better and different.

Is there anything Citrusbits could have improved or done differently?

Nothing that I could think of. There were a couple of little holdups, but always on our end. We didn't know how to get clearance from people above before taking the final step to publish the mobile apps.

We have recommended them.