We may be small, but we think big.

Our strength is delivering strategic creative solutions that have high impact. Our clients will tell you that Circa looks at marketing issues through the lens of the customer and honestly share the issues that stand in their way. We're prone to lively debate and creative solutions that break through hardened beliefs and internal ambiguity.

We don't specialize by industry, our strategic problem-solving ranges from the software industry to the wine industry, from regional banking to HP laser printers.

CIRCA
4844 Medica Rd
Santa Rosa, CA 95405

Autodesk, La Salle Properties, Mechanics Bank, Microsoft, Oakland International Airport

The Mission:
Convey that there is a local bank that shares common values with local businesses.

The Method:
We let real people do the talking for us by featuring real customers’ stories. Through highlighting the values Mechanics Bank shares with their customers, we told a richer story of great, long-lasting customer relationships and successful partnerships.

Fly the East Bay Way

The Mission:
Introduce Oakland International Airport’s new nonstop destinations that are reachable right from the East Bay.

The Method:
We showcased OAK’s amazing destinations, like Barcelona, Cabo, New York, Orlando, Hawaii, Rome and Paris, with beautiful photos and simple inviting headlines to let East Bay travelers know that they’re all reachable right from your friendly neighborhood international airport.

Oakland Airport Billboard on Bay Bridge

The Mission:
Introduce Oakland International Airport’s new nonstop destinations that are easily reachable right from the East Bay.

The Method:
We showcased OAK’s amazing destinations, like Barcelona, Cabo, New York, Orlando, Hawaii, Rome and Paris, with beautiful photos and simple inviting headlines to let East Bay travelers know that they’re all reachable without heading to SFO through San Francisco's renowned traffic

Clos du Bois

The Mission:
The audience for Clos du Bois is affluent women, 25-34 years old. We inherited an ad campaign that made the bottle the hero. We made the occasion the star, and created casual lifestyle scenarios that fit the seasons of the year.

The Message:
Circa communicated that Clos du Bois is your favorite wine for your favorite times.

We also leveraged the successful tagline “All the French you need to know,” and added a wink and wit to the ads, case shippers, and store promotions.

Mia Fit by Clarisonic, A Division of L'Oreal

The Mission:
Introduce a new version of Clarisonic to new and existing audiences without cannibalizing other products, by touting the device’s compact size.

The Method:
We used product photography to reference not only the small size, but the completely new look of the product. Headlines reference the places they’ll go with the smaller Mia Fit, while highlighting the product’s two new settings.

Microsoft developers are techzillas

The Mission:
Recruit new users to the Microsoft Virtual Academy by providing the world-wide regions new, motivating marketing assets.

The Method:
We followed our technologist audience’s lead to create two marketing versions challenging them to be the kings and queens of code and tech-hungry IT beasts. We developed original custom illustrations to drive creative assets that the global regions ate up.

Graphic Design for Nonprofit Gala

“They catch things before they become problems and adapt well to change.”

Sept. 2016 - Sept. 2017

CIRCA provided graphic design services, including images, signage, and assistance with copy. They matched the branding to the gala theme and did the work pro bono.

Glen Ellen, California
Caroline Quilici
Director of Events, Jack London Park

CIRCA is incredibly responsive and does high-quality work. The final products were outstanding and helped result in a sold-out event. Even with last minute changes, CIRCA still managed to stay calm and keep up with the work.

I’m the director of events at Jack London Park, a nonprofit that operates the park on behalf of the state of California. I’m in charge of both private and fundraising events.

What challenge were you trying to address with CIRCA?

We needed a polished brand and graphics for a fundraising event to entice people to buy tickets.

I came up with a concept for our gala, and CIRCA created graphics and branding to match the theme. The gala centered around a bar that Jack London used to frequent, so CIRCA made a vintage-looking brand concept for the invitations and event signage.

They assisted me with the copy, even when some changes came at the last minute. The program needed an extra page, and CIRCA came up with a low-cost solution and found an inexpensive printer.

We worked mainly with three people.

How did you come to work with CIRCA?

I worked with the founder when I was at a different job.

We spent under $10,000.

This project lasted from September 2016–September 2017.

The final products looked great, and the event itself was incredibly successful. We sold all 350 tickets and had a high sponsorship success that year. People were impressed by the theme, which was represented attractively in all the printed materials.

How did CIRCA perform from a project management standpoint?

His team is one of the best I’ve ever worked with. They stayed up late with us to make last minute changes two weeks before the gala and were extremely dedicated.

Not only is their work high quality, but they did it pro bono; we only paid for printing costs. They’re incredibly generous and responsive, treating us like a full-paying client. They catch things before they become problems and adapt well to change. Our industry can be fast-paced, but they’re incredibly calm and laidback.

They’re a full-service agency, so they’ll take care of everything. Rest assured that, if you work with them, nothing’s going to go wrong, and you’ll have a successful project.

Overall Score They’re amazing, and I think the world of them. They were critical in the overall success of our project.
    They were on schedule.
    They basically did this project pro bono besides print costs.
    Everything was beautiful.
    I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Creative and Strategy for Software Company

“Their work impacted our business goals and helped us achieve what we set out to do.”

Jan. 2014 - Dec. 2017

CIRCA developed creative and strategies for ad campaigns. They created copy, layouts, and other assets, while also auditing internal programs and researching competitor services to identify key strategies.

1,001 - 10,000 Employees

San Rafael, California
Annette McConnell
ABM Manager, Autodesk

The project manager at CIRCA was responsive and organized, quickly addressing concerns and answering any questions. They received feedback well and provided their own input, when necessary. The partnership only ended because of a change in business model.

I’m the account-based marketing manager for Autodesk, a company that develops design and production software for industries such as architecture, engineering, construction, and media and entertainment. I oversee the North American product design and manufacturing marketing practice.

What challenge were you trying to address with CIRCA?

We needed a quick and nimble partner who could help run campaigns on a short timeline. Our goal was to increase leads through sales and trials.

CIRCA provides both creative and strategic assistance. They audited some of our nurture programs and conducted competitor research to develop recommendations and strategies for our campaigns. They also provide copywriting, design, layout, and production assets.

In some cases, CIRCA would take one of our global campaigns and adapt it to achieve our regional goals. They worked on email campaigns, display ads, landing pages, social media ads, and direct mail.

We had a team of three people with two others that came on as needed.

How did you come to work with CIRCA?

I’d worked with the founder at a previous role and knew they'd be a great fit for this project.

We spent about $100,000 a year.

We worked together from January 2014–December 2017. We only stopped working with them because we reorganized our account-based marketing model.

How did CIRCA perform from a project management standpoint?

They had a dedicated project manager who was responsive and kept us on track. They were organized and incredibly efficient about tracking our progress.

They pushed back when appropriate and responded to our comments and feedback. Unlike other agencies we’ve worked with before, CIRCA addressed our concerns and was consistently professional. I always had confidence in their ability to deliver exactly what we needed on time. I’d definitely work with them again.

Leverage their thinking power and have a senior creative closely involved in your business. They’ll give you great ideas.

I can't think of a time they missed a deadline.
    They're a super good value.
    Their quality is really good.

Campaign Development for Video Marketing Company

"Their creativity and ideas always exceeded my expectations."

Mar. 2014 - Dec. 2016

Assisting with marketing and branding campaigns, CIRCA oversaw digital, print, and billboard advertising. They managed the creative/artistic side and developed messaging.

Stephanie Gaines
Former VP Marketing, YuMe

The user engagement skyrocketed and the customer feedback was overwhelmingly positive. CIRCA went above and beyond to meet all needs, while their enthusiasm and ability to deliver ahead of schedule made them a go-to partner.

When I worked with CIRCA on this project, I was the VP of marketing at YuMe. YuMe is a global advertising and marketing company that connects publishing houses to targeted consumer groups. I led global marketing efforts in 16 offices in five languages.

What challenge were you trying to address with CIRCA?

We were looking for a company to help us communicate a message about complex technology in a very clear and yet fun and inviting way.

They did advertising work for us across different mediums, that included digital and print advertising as well as billboards. They also helped us with general branding campaigns. I'd explain to them what exactly I was looking to evoke and they implemented that in a creative and artistic way.

We worked directly with 3–5 members of their team, including their creative staff and an account manager.

How did you come to work with them?

They were recommended to me.

We worked with them between March 2014–December 2016.

Our digital advertising campaigns led to the greatest engagement and the increasing number of views. In terms of billboards, I got a very positive feedback directly from our customers.

How did they perform from a project management standpoint?

They exceeded my expectations. They stayed within our budget and delivered ahead of schedule, even when we had very tight deadlines. They understood our needs and were able to read my mind. When we had to make changes, they were able to create a clear path towards making those changes. Also, they were always enthusiastic about the process.

I liked their sense of fun in advertising. They were able to make the process enjoyable, while talking about complex technologies.

No. They delivered at 110% every time.

Give them the creative freedom and let them do their job. I'd recommend them to the highest possible level.

Overall Score I can't say enough of good things about them.
    They met our deadlines, no matter how tight they were.
    They're highly competitive. Also, unlike other providers, CIRCA gave us direct access to their creative team.
    Their creativity and ideas always exceeded my expectations.
    I'd definitely recommend them.

Marketing Collateral for Major Technology Company

"CIRCA and I have been on the same wavelength for every project we’ve had."

2012 - May 2018

CIRCA provides diverse creative services including strategic messaging, collateral production, and PowerPoint standardization. Their portfolio features print and digital posters, stickers, and animated videos.

10,001 + Employees

Seattle, Washington
Senior Product Marketing Manager, Microsoft

Campaign deliverables are in high demand at conferences, and are used worldwide. CIRCA values their time highly, asking only important questions and allowing the rest to be worked out through iterations. They are open to feedback, and are quick to understand a client’s thought process and style.

I’m the Senior Marketing Manager for Microsoft. We’re one of the biggest tech companies in the world, spanning cloud, desktop, and everything in-between.

What challenge were you trying to address with CIRCA?

I’ve used their team for a number of different projects, and for each one, we needed to find a way to creatively enhance a campaign to get the attention of software developers, and to get them to build on our platform. In order to do this, we wanted to start a creative process, whether it was in terms of language, visual, audio, or anything else that would help us break through the mold most developers put tech companies in. We needed new and interesting ways of getting their attention, so we wanted an agency that could help us identify those creative avenues for building out messaging and creative content.

CIRCA worked on various projects relating to our outreach efforts. They took our presentations and made them more visually impactful and revised their messaging. Generally, I’ll draft out any strategic messaging, and then I’ll engage someone like CIRCA to finish it up. Our most recent project involved taking a number of disparate PowerPoint decks from different speakers, and giving them a consistent look-and-feel, one that would be appropriate for Microsoft’s biggest developer conference, which runs annually.

CIRCA worked on graphic and layout design, language, and global awareness, ensuring that what we created would work across worldwide markets. They also produced creative to go along with strategic messaging, including both print and digital media, posters, stickers, PowerPoint decks, animated GIFs, animated videos, and postcards. They’ve also contributed to social media efforts.

I typically interface with two to three members of their team, including a main project manager and an account manager. They will then resource up and down accordingly, behind the scenes.

How did you come to work with CIRCA?

I received a recommendation from a colleague. Microsoft has a policy that requires the consideration of multiple companies, so I’ve talked to at least two or three companies for every project I’ve done. CIRCA was fantastic in terms of timing in the first project, and they really understood what I was driving for. They get it even more so now, given that they know how I think.

We’ve been working together since 2012, and our most recent project ended in May 2018.

We had a project a few years ago and the creative CIRCA came up with was so good that it went viral, and was used worldwide. We originally intended to use it at a number of events over a short period of time, but the event attendees grabbed all of it to use on their own: web properties, stickers, and anything else they could make out of it. It was simply so impactful.

We ran another project around 18 months ago, where CIRCA heavily assisted with the creative redesign of our education website. It’s had a big impact for educators engaging with Microsoft.

How did CIRCA perform from a project management standpoint?

I wish that all my agencies worked the way they do. CIRCA is very good in terms of timing and scheduling. Very few projects have gone over deadline, and when it has happened, it was due to us, not them. They're fantastic in terms of communication and the different levels they provide. I appreciate the ability to be brief when it’s required, but at the same time, we can also dig in and spend a good amount of time on something, if it’s needed.

Some agencies like to talk through things to the nth degree when we really just need to get started and make things happen, and maybe iterate as we go. Other agencies are too brief, and don’t ask the questions they need to ask at the beginning of a project. CIRCA seems to have struck the right balance between those two.

I also appreciate being able to clearly articulate to them that something isn’t working. They can extract the right kind of information from my feedback, which allows them to course-correct. They usually only require one or two iterations in order to get to what I was envisioning in the first place.

They’re able to bring my crazy ideas to life. I know that other people haven’t had the same experience, but that’s because they weren’t able to articulate certain things. CIRCA and I have been on the same wavelength for every project we’ve had. I’ve had very little churn, I’ve been able to iterate quickly, and the output is of fantastic quality.

Sometimes, messaging has been a bit of a challenge. Creatively, they’re amazing, as they also are in terms of timelines and teamwork. The actual wording though has had to go through more iterations than needed. It hasn’t happened often with me, but I have had colleagues where it’s been an issue. It’s definitely something I would like them to continue working on, in order to round out their overall portfolio.

I advise clients to take advantage of the first meeting, where they can fully outline everything they want. CIRCA asks questions for a reason, so they should be allowed to do so, and be given the answers. Secondly, it’s important to be very clear with feedback. They work well when they hear exactly what you don’t like and why, along with a suggestion for something they should try next. It’s harder for a company like CIRCA, or any other agency, to work with clients who won’t give reasons for disliking something, or won’t even express that feeling at all.

Overall Score I would work with them again.
    We’ve been a little late on a couple of occasions, but it was due to our side more than theirs.
    They’re a very good value for the money, but I found a couple of projects to be a bit pricy, possibly due to other factors.
    I’ve been incredibly happy every single time I’ve worked with CIRCA. The final creative is always what I’m looking for.
    I always recommend them.

Agency of Record for Airport

“Circa takes a genuine interest in your business. They really want to work as partners.”

Feb. 2015 - Ongoing

For an ongoing partnership, Circa designs and executes an airport’s digital and print advertising deliverables. Projects include targeted mailings, magazine and Facebook ads, billboards, and tension fabrics.

Aviation Marketing Supervisor, Airport

Since working with Circa, the airport has seen a 31 percent increase in passenger activity over the course of two years. The team works in tandem with airlines’ complementary efforts to maximize impact and reach. Designers consistently offer excellent customer relations and creative new ideas.

I work for the aviation division of an international airport. We have a staff of 250 employees and an annual budget of $150 million.

What challenge were you trying to address with Circa?

Lacking relevant in-house expertise, we try to contract out most of our advertising. We've occasionally worked with other vendors, but wanted to have an actual agency in our tool kit. We've used Circa on a variety of applications, from minor projects to major campaign redesigns.

Circa designed and produced ads for two of our major campaigns. Each one had about 18 months of shelf life and aimed to promote our business locally, nationally, and internationally. One of our most important clients is a major college's athletic department. They created all the in-venue advertising deliverables to fulfil that contract. Onsite displays of all shapes and sizes included backlit signs, backdrops, tension fabrics, and even billboards. Recently, we featured ads on train exteriors and interiors within our local rapid transit system.

Our strategy incorporates both traditional and digital marketing tactics. We place print magazine ads primarily in local and airline industry publications. Postcard mailings help us promote our free parking to targeted demographic groups. To reinforce our message, we also used online avenues like Facebook ads and email blasts. Circa has proposed some radical ideas that encourage us to think outside our comfort zone. Although we haven't executed as much on those, we appreciate their creative approach.

We typically work with 1-2 team members from Circa on any given project.

How did you come to work with Circa?

Circa responded to our RFP. As a public agency, we have a laborious process to get to the finish line. They committed, prevailed, and ultimately won that competition.

We've spent about $200,000 for design. That figure does not include production costs.

We started working together in February 2015. As part of our ongoing relationship, they’re preparing to wrap a train car for the first time ever. Circa is currently executing the concept we sketched out.

This might be correlation rather than causation, but our airport is up 31 percent in passenger activity since Circa came on board. They've helped us operationalize many creative concepts and briefs. Their ads are always featured front and center and work in tandem with the airlines’ complimentary advertising efforts. We try to use different channels and approaches to avoid duplication. Whenever our airport gets a new nonstop flight, we have a robust marketing program in place to kick it off. We're still building awareness of our airport as an alternative to our main competitor.

How did Circa perform from a project management standpoint?

Although Circa is a smaller shop, they always make us feel front and center. Their work for other clients can sometimes delay response times and we're not very patient. Given our short fuse timelines, they've done a good job of juggling commitments and meeting our deadlines. We’re a fairly challenging customer with sometimes unrealistic expectations and they've done their best they can.

Circa takes a genuine interest in your business. They really want to work as partners, which is always appreciated. Dave [Founder and Creative Lead, Circa] regularly sends us pertinent articles. This level of engagement lets us know that he's thinking about our business and ongoing challenges. It's nice to know they're invested in our success rather than just trying to sell us individual ads.

As is common for design agencies, they often want to offer a better strategy than what we request. That's part of their role. Unlike many of their clients, we have a clearly defined objective and need execution, not reinvention. We’d rather have one excellent version than three potential options. It's not the most creative process, but it's the nature of our business. They've tried to push us outside the envelope and we haven't always been receptive to that. That’s probably been a bit frustrating for them. While this is not necessarily Circa’s fault, it can occasionally cause some friction.

Overall Score They’re responsive and easy to work with. They always listen to the customer and try their best to get efficiently get work done at a fair price.
    They always complete our challenging tasks within short timeframes, even if that requires working over the weekend. We really appreciate that.
    They can be a bit expensive for short, simple projects. They offer competitive rates and a great value for larger campaign designs.
    Certain projects can be mundane and don't allow much opportunity for them to show off. We didn't really stretch them much.
    They fall between a sole proprietor outfit and huge ad firm. If you want a smaller, avant-garde firm, they’d be a good match.

Advertising and Creative for Makeup Brand

“CIRCA is phenomenal. Even after 16 years, I have nothing but great things to say about them.”

July 2015 - Jan. 2017

CIRCA developed a strategic marketing plan for a (then) new men’s product. They worked in various media (e.g., digital, print, video), and took the project from conception to execution.

10,001 + Employees

Seattle, Washington
Cheryl Rickets
Former VP of Marketing, L'Oreal

CIRCA is one of the most experienced and effective agencies in the business. Their work resulted in two incredibly successful campaigns. They collaborate well and consistently go above and beyond. Unlike many other agencies, CIRCA is honest and delivers what they say they will on time and on budget.

I’m the former Vice President of marketing for L’Oréal. I was responsible for all the US marketing and advertising in the Clarisonic beauty device division.

What challenge were you trying to address with CIRCA?

We were launching a new men's product called Alpha Fit, and I wanted a unique marketing approach. We also had a women’s product that we needed strategic and creative support for.

CIRCA helped us develop a digital marketing plan for Alpha Fit. It was in a new category (facial device for men), and while it was for men it needed to be advertised to women, so it was a complex project. They also helped us show women why their man needed our product and what the benefits were. Their work included strategic thinking and planning, creative development and concepting, and execution.

Their marketing materials covered magazines, all social media, digital, web design, and videos. Instead of approaching each medium individually, CIRCA integrated the marketing plan across all areas. In particular, they helped put together a brand new strategic and creative approach for Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. They developed the concepts and photographed and executed all the ads and posts.

We had anywhere from 3–5 people, depending on what we were working on.

How did you come to work with CIRCA?

I've worked with CIRCA in different positions for 16 years. When I choose an agency, I want a long-term partnership. Anyone can come up with an idea, but I wanted a firm that could ground ideas and creative in solid, smart, and strategic thinking. I’ve been with CIRCA so long because their work has longevity and resonates with our customers more than anything else another agency could do.

We spent up to $1 million.

This project lasted from July 2015—January 2017.

The men’s launch was so successful that we were featured on the cover of AdAge, which is highly significant. The women’s launch was also extremely successful, highlighted as one of the best campaigns within L’Oréal.

How did CIRCA perform from a project management standpoint?

CIRCA is phenomenal. Even after 16 years, I have nothing but great things to say about them. They listen to your problems and enthusiastically take any feedback you offer. They aren’t defensive, unlike a lot of other agencies. They have systems in place and always deliver on time or have a good reason if something will be late.

CIRCA is mature and has a wealth of experience on a lot of different brands and clients. Most agencies are limited to digital talent, but the people at CIRCA have it all because they’ve been in the business so they can do digital but also print, TV, video production, etc. They're extremely strategic and creative, putting a lot of work into their approach. They always go above and beyond and are some of the hardest workers I know. They’re passionate about their work and want to do it well.

I recently had to use a few different agencies due to circumstances I had no control over, and it simply reinforced how amazing CIRCA is. These other firms delivered late, were overpriced, nickeled and dimed us, or didn’t know what they were talking about. In all my years of experience, CIRCA is by far the best agency I’ve ever worked with.

Not that I can think of.

Overall Score I have nothing but great things to say about them. They're the best hidden secret in advertising.
    If they can't deliver, there's always a logical explanation.
    They definitely give you more than what you're paying for.
    They do excellent work and have experience in various categories and disciplines.