Development, design, process, and training

Chromatic is a world-class digital agency focused on design, development, DevOps and support.

Chromatic has over 10 years experience helping the organizations solve their content management problems using Drupal and other open source technologies.

Services include:

• Complete design solutions for web-based projects (responsive design, style guide creation, component libraries, etc.)
  • End-to-end development services (PHP, Drupal development, team augmentation, content migrations, workflow training and best practices)
  • Setup and consulting on infrastructure automation & deployment strategies (Jenkins, Ansible, TravisCI, etc.)

2006
Chicago, IL
  • 1601 South Indiana Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60616

Drupal Dev For Magazine Publishing Company

"They've always been very responsive and embody what a partner is meant to be."

2013 - Ongoing

Chromatic leads a long-term project migrating digital properties to Drupal. They rebuild sites to improve UX with custom features and provide SEO services.

1,001-5,000 Employees

Des Moines, Iowa
Joshua Stewardson
Director of Product Management, Meredith Corporation

Chromatic’s flexibility and attention to industry changes allow them to implement cutting-edge features. They contribute suggestions based on their development experiences, and work proactively to develop lasting, close-knit relationships. Site traffic improves dramatically after migration.

I’m the director of product management for platform at Meredith Corporation. We’re a magazine publishing company that specializes in print magazines like Better Homes and Gardens, as well as digital platforms like AllRecipes.com.

What challenge were you trying to address with Chromatic?

We're moving our digital properties onto Drupal and wanted a developer to help with both the migration and rebuilding of those sites. We also wanted to establish a better platform to do this work.

Chromatic plays a senior architecture role, consulting on the best ways to move our properties from a proprietary content management system to Drupal. They execute these migrations with their own staff and then add custom features.

We wanted a complete redesign for these properties. From a UX perspective, Chromatic modernizes these sites while providing more flexibility and control for the editors. They also provide SEO work to improve exposure.

How did you come to work with Chromatic?

They were referred to us by Lullabot, which is a premier Drupal service provider that’s worked with Chromatic on a number of projects. One of our partners also had an existing relationship with Chromatic, so it was a good fit.

Between $500,000–$1,000,000.

We've been working with them for four years.

We've seen speed improvements with faster page loads. One of our properties saw a 50% increase in organic traffic from Google and other search engines after being moved to the new platform.

How did Chromatic perform from a project management standpoint?

They're one of the vendors we enjoy working with most. Their developers are flexible and deeply integrated into our processes, but also offer suggestions based on their experiences.

They're involved in our Slack channels, attend all of our stand-ups, and hop on architecture meetings. They serve in an augmentation capacity, so we essentially view them as team members. They've always been very responsive and embody what a partner is meant to be.

They're great at adapting as the industry changes. With our most recent project, for example, we wanted to implement a headless Node.js frontend, and they were able to provide a developer who specialized in that process to work alongside our long-time backend Drupal specialist.

They had a few staffing misfires when they were trying to scale up early on. However, they've changed their hiring process and now employ really solid workers. So currently, I have no complaints.

Drupal Dev for Manufacturing Company

“They’re well organized, accommodating, and easy to work with and make it so that I can do my job better.”

2010 - Ongoing

Chromatic wireframed, designed, and built out the UI for a Drupal-driven product database with search, filtering, and comparison features. They’re now reworking the site to reflect current pricing.

Eric Rice
Marketing Director, Applied Motion Products

Over the course of a seven-year partnership, Chromatic has helped realize an annual profit of approximately $1 million in online sales. Despite being an evolving remote team, this passionate team is effective, organized, proactive, understanding, and full of great ideas.

Applied Motion Products is an industrial component supplier to primarily factory automation. The components we provide are motors and drives, motion controlled components for use in factory automation, which includes machines in the packaging industry, semiconductor industry, medical devices, lab automation, material handling, automated assembly, and all these different automated factory environments where machinery is doing most of the production and assembly. I did application engineering for a long time so my background is technical. For the last couple of years, I’ve been the marketing director.

What challenge were you trying to address with Chromatic?

We were looking at a variety of solutions to suit our primary audience of engineers. At the time, our site was pure HTML with no database on the backend. Everything was done manually. We wanted a database with product information that we could use to build a catalog and then add some user interface tools like filtering and comparing products, detailed specifications, downloads, etc., for all the different products.

Chromatic was responsible for building a new site from scratch including all the design and UI elements and the wireframing. I was the subject matter expert and did the data entry. Once the database was built and it was time to enter data, another person and I hunkered down for two weeks and entered a bunch of data. We have about 1,000 Stock Keeping Units or part numbers in the database today. It’s not a massive site, but there are a lot of details.

The user needs to base their selection on specific parameters, and they want to come to our site and search for specific power supply voltage or particular features, then select them through filters, and see the products that meet those criteria. We also wanted to be able to compare products side by side. A lot of our products fit together to make a system.

Previously, you had to pour through PDF documents to find what products were related to other ones. On our new site, you select product A and you want to see all the types of product B that will fit, so we built a robust tagging system where we can tag all the products that go from product group B and all the ones that fit with product group A. We started this project in 2010 and we’ve added many tags and related many products together. The website was built on Drupal. Right now we’re doing a bigger project to redo the pricing on the site.

In 2010, I started working with Chris [Partner & Creative Director, Chromatic] who was the site builder and their other founder who did a lot of the design work. I was the project manager on our end. The three of us did all of the decision-making and QA. When we first hired Chromatic, it was just those two guys; today their team is much bigger. We have our go-to developer, Mart, [Developer at Chromatic], who spends a considerable chunk of time on our site maintaining and making changes and updates to the site. We create and edit all content, but they do all the maintenance and the Drupal side. Depending on what additional things need to be done, they’ll bring in a designer like Alfonso [Frontend Designer & Developer, Chromatic] or they’ll bring in their network guy. We also have our main programmer. Chris jumps in if there are questions requiring heavier lifting.

How did you come to work with Chromatic?

We talked to various consultants. Some were doing open source work like Chromatic does, while some had proprietary solutions based primarily in .NET. It came down to two companies with Chromatic on the Drupal side and another company on the .NET side. What ultimately swayed us towards Chromatic was that Chris not only understood what we were trying to do but had a lot of great ideas on how to do it. There were no objections and they were very positive about it. The .NET guys weren’t as confident that they could figure it out.

We have invested $500,000.

We started working together in 2010 and the work is ongoing.

We generate approximately $1 million in sales through our website annually, representing about 10 percent of our total revenue. We didn’t have that revenue before working with them.

How did Chromatic perform from a project management standpoint?

They are excellent. Formerly, we used Basecamp, but they switched to GitHub a few years ago. They use GitHub to manage the code base, tasks, and projects. Slack is where we communicate on a regular basis. They’re extremely organized. We work together on everything. Regular maintenance work is going on all the time, and I feed them outpost issues to GitHub and then prioritize issues that are up there. They’ll knock them down quickly as the month progresses. When bigger projects come up, we do weekly calls.

They’ve also been helpful with working on a fixed marketing budget. I have to be very cognizant of hours because there is more that we want to do on the website than I have budget for but they’ve been very accommodating. When they invoice us, they list very specific item numbers in GitHub. They are very detailed so that I can explain to my superiors and I have good accounting of what projects their hours went into on a monthly basis. They’re also very good about notifying me when we’re hitting the limit and prioritizing tasks accordingly. They’re well organized, accommodating, and easy to work with and make it so that I can do my job better.

They have made an impressive work environment. They’re purely a remote team and I’ve been impressed with the way that they are able to make that work. I get good vibes from everybody that I deal with there. I get the feeling that everybody that works there really likes it. They seem very passionate about what they’re doing. I’m really impressed that they were able to go from a two-man team to where they are today. You can tell that they really enjoy what they do and they’re very good at it.

They are sometimes too accommodating with us. Through the years, we’ve jerked them around. We haven’t always paid on time and we haven’t always given them credit where credit is due. We’re a corporation, so I’m not the only decision maker. We can be a pain from time to time and they could have whipped us into shape had they been a little bit harder-lined. That’s a double-edged sword. The fact that they’ve been so accommodating for so long has really helped me. They’re really on the ball.

Overall Score I can’t speak highly enough of them.
    I am the one that is typically slowing projects down. They check in to see what’s coming up so they can make sure they have people available for us.
    Their rates are in line with rates for the type of work they do. They get a lot done in the time that they work. Their costs are in line with what we expect.
    Everything that we do with them works as expected and is executed per the spec that we lay out at the beginning.
    I’ve already recommended them to three different people.

Multiple Drupal sites for Benefits Company

"At the end of the day, they’re good guys. They’re ethical, and that matters."

Fall 2013 - Ongoing

Chromatic is developing non-personalized, interactive websites to market employee benefits. They also developed a framework to streamline future builds, and they manage existing sites.

Director, Marketing & Communications Agency

Chromatic’s websites have been universally successful, and they’re also a major selling point in pitches to prospective clients. They understand the importance of meeting deadlines, and over time they’ve built up a mutually respectful relationship.

I’m the director of creative technology and innovation at a boutique marketing and communications agency. About two-thirds of us are based in San Francisco, and a third of us are remote across the country. We’ve been in business for 10 years. We consult with clients to develop strategies and communication services for them, including focus groups, print campaigns, in-person meetings, webinars, websites, emails, and so forth.

Part of my role is to advise and consult with our clients on their digital strategy, and how they can leverage the appropriate channels to achieve results. I work with them to define their goals and objectives and to develop strategies. Ultimately, I oversee tactics that are aimed to carry out the strategies.

What challenge were you trying to address with Chromatic?

In my experience, a strategy that worked well was to find trusted partners that we could leverage as an extension of our team, who brought core expertise around specific technologies. I have experience doing both onshore and offshore outsourcing for technical expertise. That’s a great model for us, as our work tends to be cyclical, with peaks and valleys. We get really busy around annual enrollment time for benefits, and then there’s a lull. We engage with Chromatic on a project-by project-basis. This works great for us, rather than hiring an in-house developer.

We build non-personalized benefits websites for our clients. We have approximately 15-18 active clients for whom we are the strategic communicator, and we do big engagements for them. Not all of them have website components, but many of them do. We use Chromatic to support those benefits websites. They’re non-personalized, public websites, and they’re largely marketing sites. Clients hire us to help communicate to their employees, spouses, and family members about their benefits.

We develop interactive websites, and we direct people to those sites as the front door. They’re positioned as a benefits hub, and then they link out to various providers and administrators for things they need to do. For example, if an employer wants to promote their 401k plan, we’ll develop marketing messages and have those on our site. When the employee needs to take action, we provide a link to the site for them to log in and make a transaction.

Chromatic is very involved in the process. Our company has in-house graphic designers, so we develop the design concepts. We run them by Chromatic and ask for their feedback, and we make adjustments and refinements from there. They do all the development work. We have someone on our staff who does the content management piece, and she’s well-versed in Drupal. Once Chromatic finishes the development, she takes over the content management from an ongoing standpoint. Chromatic continues to be engaged as we pitch enhancements, new features, or site redesigns.

A couple years ago, we engaged with Chromatic to build a common framework that we can then pitch to our clients at a lower price point. This allows them to be more efficient for each subsequent client implementation, and that’s worked out very well.

How did you come to work with Chromatic?

When I joined the company, we were using an agency with limited resources, which I saw as a huge risk. I did some investigation into different Drupal companies, and we initially engaged with another firm for two projects. It was a complete disaster, as they were difficult to work with and very unprofessional. I did some additional research and got a referral to Chromatic from another agency. We started the engagement with Chromatic by having them maintain the two sites built by the other company. We liked the service we were getting, so we gave them the next project that came along, and it evolved from there. Over time, they’ve become a trusted partner.

How much have you invested with Chromatic?

We’ve invested $315,000 to date.

We’ve been working with Chromatic since December of 2013, and the work is ongoing.

One of the biggest results for us is that, of all the projects Chromatic has touched, we haven’t lost any clients. Our clients love the sites developed by Chromatic, which is great. When I go to meetings with prospective clients, a large part of my presentation is showing off our work. Our prospects really get excited about the work they see, which leads to new sales for us.

We’ve gotten positive feedback from employees who actually use the site. We get write-in comments, and some of our sites have page ratings. For the most part, that feedback is positive as well.

I think they are proactive and dedicated. We can rely on them. When we give our clients a date for project completion, we must stick to that. Knowing that Chromatic will deliver on time is important to keeping our clients happy.

We respect each other. They understand that they are going to need to bend over backward at times, but that should be the exception and not the rule.

How did Chromatic perform from a project management standpoint?

Chromatic has never missed a deadline for us. They’re always on time. They’re always clear when things are going out of scope, and they offer suggestions for mitigating that, which is appreciated.

What did you find most impressive about Chromatic?

They work very well virtually. Our team is spread out, and a lot of our work is remote, so I appreciate that Chromatic can work that way as well. It’s refreshing to use an agency that has representatives in a U.S. time zone and that are good communicators. At the end of the day, they’re good guys. They’re ethical, and that matters. We like dealing with people who are going to treat us right.

Are there any areas Chromatic could improve?

I’m struggling to come up with something significant. They’ve been very willing and able to do what we’ve asked. For example, a couple years ago we asked if we could get better real-time visibility into how we’re tracking hours and burn-down rates. They set up a system where we can tap in and query how we’re trending on the budget day-to-day. They’ve been very receptive to things like that. Another nice thing they’ve done is to provide a dedicated resource to be our primary contact, and that’s worked well for us. They’ve been evolving and improving as we go along.

Overall Score They’re very friendly and pleasant, thorough, intelligent, competent, and they’re passionate about what they do. They genuinely want to see us be successful, and we want them to be successful.
    When we develop the schedule, we ask for their input, and they always deliver on time.
    They are more expensive than other Drupal developers. They’ve done a good job at giving us conservative estimates.
    We haven’t any significant issues with performance or security. We’ve had good, strong results. They’ve always met or exceeded the quality expectations.
    I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Frontend Dev for Eyewear Company

"They are very interested in results without sacrificing attention to the details along the way."

Jan. 2017 - Ongoing

Using agile methodology, Chromatic wrote all CCS and HTML code for an e-commerce site that will operate around the world.

Vice President, Eyewear Company

Chromatic utilized industry best practices to deliver a high-value product. With clear communication and technical expertise, Chromatic distinguished itself as a highly professional agency.

I'm the Vice President for an eyewear company based in the United States, with worldwide coverage. We're a global player in the sunglasses industry. I’m responsible for our B2B, our B2C, our mobility, document asset management, digital key accounts, and digital core accounts. Anything that’s e-commerce-related rolls up through my office.

What challenge were you trying to address with Chromatic?

We were working on a frontend refactor of our B2B and B2C properties.

Chromatic worked on the CSS and HTML frontend implementation, based on designs that had been completed by another agency. They helped to scope the build and worked on the library of code they were going to utilize. They wrote all the CSS and HTML, created the repository and the continuous integration process which managed that as well. They were integrating with a leading eCommerce platform. We examined a couple different frameworks, but we decided not to utilize one: everything is custom right now. This is the frontend of a global e-commerce website that will be deployed in 2017.

How did you come to work with Chromatic?

I was familiar with the work they did for another e-commerce company. I also knew one of the principals with Chromatic. We spoke for a while about this opportunity, then decided to work with them.

How much have you invested with Chromatic?

We invested more than $100,000 in this effort.

The project started in January of this year, and the work is ongoing. We expect it to wrap up in April.

Looking at the optimization of the code and how fast it renders, we’ve seen a pretty dramatic improvement. Because it’s not been deployed yet, I don’t have any numbers related to the commercial impact. They have done some other refactoring work for us before, and we saw decreases of 25% for page load times. I won’t have hard metrics on the overall ROI until later this year.

How did Chromatic perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re great. They're detailed. They document their code, take an Agile approach, and utilize all the best practices and technologies for developing and deployment. The communication style is very good. Their commercial aspects of the arrangements are clear and easily defined. They’re a good company to work with.

What did you find most impressive about Chromatic?

They are very interested results without sacrificing attention to the details along the way. I really appreciate their professionalism. I appreciate their skill level in frontend development. They have a very high competency level in Drupal. That’s not something we’re leveraging right now, but it’s something they’ve distinguished themselves around. Overall, it’s the quality and consistency of the deliverables.

Are there any areas Chromatic could improve?

We’re not completed yet, but for right now, it seems like we’re on the mark.

They’ve met every deadline. They’re prompt, consistent, clear in their planning, and able to execute against those plans.
    When you have someone delivering at a consistently high level, you’re going to end up paying for it. They may cost a little more, but there’s value for the dollar.
    It relates to the knowledge of the technical space and the application of the solution to our specific platform.
    I would recommend them to anyone.

Drupal Dev for Performing Arts Company

"They're smart, honest, and have great communication."

Apr. - Nov. 2014

Chromatic designed and developed a Drupal membership site from strategic planning to launch. Key features include subscriptions and event data, billing and automatic emailing.

Ira Tau
CTO, TheaterMania

While Chromatic offered more development expertise than design, their technical prowess resulted in a 10% increase in site membership, revenue growth, and a more modern interface. Customer service was excellent.

Our company provides ticketing and information for live cultural events. We run two websites, theatermania.com in the US and whatsonstage.com in the UK, and a software-as-a-service platform called OvationTix. We provide editorial content and connect users with the best prices and discounts for theater events around the country. I am the CTO.

What challenge were you trying to address with Chromatic?

The original goal was for them to rebuild a platform we had that was on an old software and hardware framework. We call it the Gold Club. It's a members-only theater club, allowing members to get access to certain hard-to-get tickets.

We rebuilt that entire system using Drupal as the foundation. Chromatic was involved with us from the start of that project through launch and a little bit thereafter. They first started helping us with the strategic planning, technical architecture, and general design of the system. Then they helped us with developing the software through coding and the actual build.

The platform is a system whereby members join and are charged either an annual or a monthly membership fee. For that fee, they gain access to the platform and buy theater tickets at very discounted rates. The system manages the shows and events associated with those shows.

Let's say there's a show that has six performances a week. The system will manage each of those events and enable users who have a membership in good standing to reserve tickets. It will also charge their credit card in real time for the event and email a confirmation to them. It integrates with a backend service called Recurly, a payment processor for recurring types of setups like recurring memberships or recurring subscriptions.

Chromatic set up the system that uses the Drupal storage mechanisms to keep track of the various theaters and performances, our members and their subscription statuses, as well as the reservations made, while communicating with Recurly over a REST API to make charges and query on the status of members to see whether their membership is still valid before accepting their reservations.

How did you come to work with Chromatic?

I had worked with Chromatic when I was VP of internet technology at Martha Stewart Living. One of the partners in Chromatic was on my staff at Martha Stewart, went on his own for a bit, and then joined forces with Chromatic. I know them very well. We used them for projects at Martha Stewart. When I came here to TheaterMania and we had this project come up, they were one of the first that I contacted and got a competitive quote from, and decided to continue utilizing them.

How much have you invested with Chromatic?

It’s been between $400,000-$500,000.

It started in April of 2014, and we launched in November of that same year.

From a business perspective, this was a platform already in existence for years—it was around for 11 years prior. The rebuilt platform provided us with a definite set of more robust features, which enabled us to increase our membership. There was at least a 10% uptick in memberships, definite revenue growth, and a much more modern, user-friendly interface. It had positive revenue and branding implications as well.

How did Chromatic perform from a project management standpoint?

They didn't provide us with project management services. Their developers integrated with our internal team. They took part in our Agile project management processes, but they weren't managing them. However, they were excellent in being responsive, keeping with deadlines, and communicating how the project was moving along. Nothing but great scores there.

What did you find most impressive about Chromatic?

In my experience with Chromatic, not only on this project but multiple projects, they bring a strategic mindset to everything they do. It's not like they take a spec and execute on it: they want to understand the business, the implications of changes that would be put into place and where the most important revenue streams are. They focus on creating a plan that's going to make sense for the business.

Before Martha Stewart, I was at Time Inc. for 10 years, so I've been doing this for quite a while. A lot of the dev shops that I've dealt with over the years, they're solely interested in getting the spec and implementing on the spec, whereas Chromatic has opinions without necessarily forcing them on you. They worked very well with our CEO and sales team and other parts of the business to make sure they were delivering something that would have the added strategic business value to it rather than looking at it as a technical project. That's why I really like the: they're smart, honest, and have great communication.

Are there any areas Chromatic could improve?

This is like when you get a review and your boss has to think of something to get you to improve on! Their frontend development skills are a little less robust than their backend development skills. Although there are no complaints from me, one of the areas I know they're looking to expand their business in is more frontend-oriented development work. If they have that in their arsenal, it would definitely increase their value as a company. They have it to a certain extent, but they're certainly not a frontend agency. They are more focused on the backend.

They met their deliverables as promised and attended all meetings.
    The score is with the caveat that while they are in the higher range, they definitely provide value for that cost.
    If it wasn't done right the first time or something was discovered that needed attention, they were right there, brainstorming to come up with better ideas and ways of doing it.

Drupal Dev for Lifestyle Magazine

"The quality of their work sets them apart."

Apr. 2015 - Ongoing

Chromatic initially developed ad hoc Drupal templates for an online publisher. They later expanded into managing the site’s backend via bug fixes, security updates, and new components.

Boulder, Colorado
Todd Hodgson
Product Management Director, Outside Magazine

Traffic and revenue have increased with the magazine’s revamped website. Chromatic delivered thorough, error-free work marked by attention to detail and long-term sustainability.

Outside Magazine is a consumer lifestyle magazine. We’ve been in publication for 40 years. I head up the product end of the website, OutsideOnline.com. I’m in charge of managing development, design, product development, and everything to do with the production of our website.

What challenge were you trying to address with Chromatic?

We had changed platforms from a proprietary CMS that was Java-based to a Drupal platform. After we migrated, we needed additional Drupal help, which is what we brought Chromatic in to do.

We started with ad hoc help from them. The first project they did was launching a new gear channel page. They created a new template on our website called the channel alpha template. The page included automated modules and manual manuals. There were multiple types of content that it had to pull into each module. Eventually, we rolled out that same template to the other verticals on our website, including travel, fitness, and adventure.

As our website was growing, I needed more and more help. We used one of their developers named Mark for 80 hours a month for several months. Most recently, we’ve taken on a full-time developer, Clare, from Chromatic, who typically works 40 hours a week. They’re doing mostly backend work for us, but they do everything—bug fixes, security updates, new templates, Facebook instant articles, etc. We’ve worked with 5 resources from their team.

How did you come to work with Chromatic?

I had worked with Chromatic when I was at Martha Stewart.com and knew they excelled in Drupal.

How much have you invested with Chromatic?

The alpha channel cost between $25,000 and $30,000. All of their work together would be between $50,000 and $200,000.

We started working with them in April 2015, and the work is ongoing.

Our traffic and revenue have continuously gone up. Their work has alleviated a lot of time for me. They’re a quality team. Mark is great at using the correct process to handle things.

How did Chromatic perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re the best I’ve ever worked with in terms of project management. We use Zenboard, which allows you to arrange tickets in swim lanes.

What did you find most impressive about Chromatic?

I believe that if something’s worth doing, it’s worth doing well. Chromatic isn’t the cheapest Drupal developer and maybe not even the fastest, but what they do is very thorough. The quality of their work sets them apart. Other developers I’ve worked with get something out quickly, but then it’s constantly needing work.

Nothing comes to mind.

Overall Score I have no complaints.
    I can’t recall a time that they haven’t met a deadline.
    They’re a 5 on value, but they’re going to be more expensive than some other agencies.
    I think quality is probably their top priority, and it shows.
    I have recommended them.