Optimizing Your Brand From Code Up

Cheeky Monkey Media is a troop of digital experts helping our partners create, execute and deliver kickass digital experiences. Let us help you build a story that inspires success.

For almost a decade now - yes, the internet did exist back then - the monkeys have helped our clients solve more than 100 website, design, marketing, and search engine optimization challenges. Pretty cool, right?

Between us, we’ve spent more than 200, 000 hours helping clients kick some serious monkey butt online. Of course, everyone here has loads of experience outside of Cheeky Monkey Media too.

We figure that we’ve spent

• more 100, 000 hours working with Drupal
  • more than 8,000 hours working with Wordpress
  • more than 25, 000  hours designing fun and informative graphics and layouts
  • more than 4, 000 hours creating and executing innovating and engaging marketing strategies
  • more than 10, 000 hours digging through the web to make sure people can find your stuff online.

What We Are About

• we believe designing and developing websites can be fun
  • we believe open, consistent, and curious communication make a successful website project
  • we believe our success is defined by our employee and client successes
  • we believe business can be fun
  • we believe in growing from our mistakes and building on our successes
  • we believe technology (a.k.a geek speak) can be translated into english
  • we believe utilizing your website can be an enjoyable experience not an exercise in frustration

2008
Kelowna, Canada
headquaters
  • Cheeky Monkey Media Inc.
    2280 Leckie Rd, Unit C
    Kelowna, BC v1x6g6
    1-800-818-4564
  • Cheeky Monkey Media Inc.
    31 Mark Av e, Unit C

• Uniworld
  • AggData

SportMedBC

The Situation

SportMedBC is an organization comprised of sports medical and paramedical practitioners, with the mission to promote leadership, public awareness and education in sport health. Before engaging in their website redesign, the site was an amalgam of pieces that were integrated to add functionality while keeping overhead and expenses low. The result was a site that presented navigation challenges to users, and made it difficult for staff to manage. Built on an older version of Drupal, the site had expanded far beyond the usability threshold, and it was time for a full scale renewal.

The Solution

By upgrading the site to Drupal 7 and its improved administrative themes, Cheeky Monkey Media was able to alleviate many of SportMedBC’s web management issues. More than just upgrading to D7, the site saw a significant upgrade as Ubercart – a Drupal eCommerce module – was phased out in favor of Drupal Commerce, an updated and improved online shopping platform. With this...

DrupalCon Los Angeles 2015

The Situation

It’s a glorious situation when a client is so happy with the Monkeys that they ask us to be part of another project. It’s even more fun when you’re able to follow up a development heavy project with one that allows the creative design team to show off their talents.

On the heels of the Drupal Job Boards project, the Drupal Association again turned to Cheeky Monkey Media to help design the branding for the 2015 North American DrupalCon in Los Angeles. Having already impressed with pure development and programming skill, the Monkeys were more than excited to showcase their creative talent as the designer for one of the largest Drupal events of the year.

The Solution

As the Drupal Association was focused on ensuring the success of DrupalCon Amsterdam, the creative design team was eager to begin initial concept development. Upon selection as the partner of choice, the Cheeky...

WordPress Dev for TV Company

"I was impressed with what they did for us."

Oct. 2016 - Feb. 2017

Cheeky Monkey Media was hired to develop a WordPress website for a recent television series that the client had developed. The site needed to store all of their video content. They manage the existing corporate website and develop pages as they need.

11–50 Employees

Kelowna, British Columbia
Alex Miller
CEO, Visland Media

The client has received overwhelmingly positive feedback on the site that they were delivered. They appreciated Cheeky Monkey Media's use of Basecamp which helped the client track where their project was at all times. That along with their ability to meet all their deadlines provided for a positive relationship.

Visland Media is a television development and distribution company selling television series to broadcasters in North America and around the world. I’m the CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cheeky Monkey Media?

We were launching a new television series and we needed a website for it. We wanted the site to be the hub for the show and be a home for all the video content associated with the show. The viewers of the show can visit the site and guests of the show can direct their colleagues and fans to the site to be able to view their interviews after the show aired.

We used WordPress for the site because our in-house team is familiar with that platform. We wanted to be able to upload new content and videos ourselves so Cheeky Monkey Media did that for us. We came to them with an idea of what we wanted the site to look like but we allowed them to help us decide the best way to proceed. We just recently migrated our corporate website over to them for them to maintain. They also created a new marketing landing page for us and we have a few other projects we plan to use them for this year.

How did you come to work with Cheeky Monkey Media?

I’ve met Gene, their CTO, a couple of times through some mutual friends and business connections. I’ve had a couple of friends work for him over the years and several people recommended I use them. We wanted a change in who we were working with and Cheeky Monkey was the first name that popped into my mind. I always liked what I saw about their company and heard good things from other people.

How much have you invested with Cheeky Monkey Media?

We spent $5,000 on the site.

We started working with them in October 2016, and the site was completed in February 2017.

We were looking for a clean, professional site that would represent the show well. The feedback we’ve received has been overwhelmingly positive.

How did Cheeky Monkey Media perform from a project management standpoint?

They used Basecamp, which I really liked, so I knew exactly where they were all the time. I’ve never had that experience before with other providers. They were able to meet all the deadlines. Any delays were because we didn’t get them what they needed in a timely manner.

What did you find most impressive about Cheeky Monkey Media?

The project management impressed me the most. I’ve never dealt with an agency where I felt like I knew what was going on.

Are there any areas Cheeky Monkey Media could improve?

No. I was impressed with what they did for us.

Overall Score It was great. We got exactly what we needed and got it on time.
    They hit all their deadlines.
    We got what we were looking for and the price was fair. I paid a similar amount for similar work in the past, but I haven’t had it go as smoothly as it did this time. I think the value was good.
    We got exactly what we were looking for. They made it simple and gave us what we wanted.
    I’ve already referred them to people.

Drupal Development for Education Non-profit

"They are incredibly helpful, flexible, quick to respond, and really committed to getting things done on time."

Jan. 2016 - Ongoing

Cheeky Monkey Media was hired to develop a Drupal site.

Boston, Massachusetts
Charlotte Cahill
Associate Director, Jobs for the Future

The client has received a lot of feedback from people within the organization and clients outside it who were impressed with the site and interested in doing similar work. They were particularly impressed with how helpful the agency was and how committed they were to getting things done on time.

Jobs for the Future is a national non-profit organization that focuses on education and workforce development. I am the associate director for an initiative called the Pathways to Prosperity Network.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cheeky Monkey Media?

We were creating a new website for members of the Pathways to Prosperity Network. Members pay a fee to join the network. They then get access to technical assistance and resources for building career pathways in states and regions across the country. We wanted to create a place where members could connect with each other, share ideas, and learn from other people in the network. This would be a member-only benefit. We were looking for someone who could design the site to make it more valuable for members. At the same time, we wanted an attractive yet functional website.

Cheeky Monkey developed the site in Drupal because our organization uses Drupal for other websites. We were able to take the new system they created and integrate it with other websites at the organization. They were very creative in thinking about what steps were needed to be able to integrate all the websites together.

How did you come to work with Cheeky Monkey Media?

We put out an RFP and Cheeky Monkey responded. They put a proposal that gave us a lot of confidence in their graphic designer because the proposal itself was beautiful. They had carefully read what we wanted in the RFP and had made suggestions to improve on our ideas.

How much have you invested with Cheeky Monkey Media?

We spent about $50,000 for the project. We are a non-profit, so budgets are always a concern. Cheeky Monkey was sensitive to that and found ways to save us money.

The work is ongoing.

People within our organization are impressed with the site and other teams are interested in having similar websites. We’ve also gotten really good feedback from users that the site is exactly what they needed, letting them learn from other members.

What did you find most impressive about Cheeky Monkey Media?

I can’t say enough good things about their team. They are incredibly helpful, flexible, quick to respond, and really committed to getting things done on time. We were previewing the website at a national conference and their developers were up for 48 hours to make sure everything was ready for the site demo.

Are there any areas Cheeky Monkey Media could improve?

I can’t think of anything. They were great.

Overall Score I would love to work with them again.
    They went way beyond in order to meet deadlines.
    They were sensitive to a non-profit budget.
    The team was terrific.

Drupal Development for Drupal Development Company

"They’ve [Cheeky Monkey Media] done a great job with making the system very user-friendly."

Aug. 2015 - Ongoing

Cheeky Monkey Media was hired to help with Drupal development.

Senior Project Manager at Drupal Development Company

The client has given great feedback and is very impressed with how intuitive Cheeky Monkey Media made the site's backend. Cheeky Monkey was consistently responsive and always had creative ways to get the job done.

Our company is a high-level Drupal web development agency. Our versatile team includes designers developers, and digital marketers. We also are associated with a technology college here in Victoria, British Columbia [BC]. I’m one of the senior project managers.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cheeky Monkey Media?

Our partnership arose from a lack of resources because our in-house team was allocated to another large project. We reached out to them to take on a build from start to finish. The designs were already prepared, so they only needed to make those designs come alive.

We delivered the design files that were done by another agency to Cheeky Monkey Media. That was a challenge on its own because the other agency is neither a user experience specialist nor a Drupal expert. This led to a large amount of collaboration to help refine the designs.

For this Drupal 8 build, Cheeky Monkey set up the site from start to finish. They did a great job in producing a high-quality website, both on the front end and backend. In addition, we met once a week to prep for our weekly status call with the client so they not only completed development, but also were comfortable with client-facing relations.

How did you come to work with Cheeky Monkey Media?

We had worked with them in the past after finding them through the Drupal community. It’s a tightknit community, especially in Canada and even more so in British Columbia. We’re one of the bigger Drupal companies in BC. Our hourly rates matched up, so that made a great partnership.

How much have you invested with Cheeky Monkey Media?

We spent more than $50,000.

It is ongoing. We started working with them two or three years ago. We started utilizing them for project tasks about a year ago.

We haven’t launched, so I can’t give metrics. We’ve demoed the site and our team has been quite impressed. Typically, we conduct training for the client, but they made the backend so intuitive that the clients haven't required any training. They've done a great job making the system very user-friendly.

Overall, they've done an outstanding job in being involved and immersed in the project - communicating with the client and myself, understanding what the requirements are, and understand what we're trying to achieve. They always made suggestions and implementations that satisfied the original scope.

How did Cheeky Monkey Media perform from a project management standpoint?

They did a great job. I’m working with a project manager and a developer on their end, and use Slack to communicate. They’ve been very responsive - nine times out of ten they’re available. Especially for technical developers, they were great with communicating.

What did you find most impressive about Cheeky Monkey Media?

It would be their willingness to find solutions. They’re happy to do the work; they’re happy to get creative and find a way to satisfy my needs as a project manager, their client, and our end client as well. I found that they are inspired about what they do, which in turn makes it easier for me to work with them to find solutions and talk timelines, etc.

Are there any areas Cheeky Monkey Media could improve?

Not at this time. We’re not launched yet.

They’re very affordable for our industry.
    They’ve always delivered on time.

Graphic Design for Government Commission

"The way they ... communicate among themselves, as well as with the client, shows they [are] on top of things."

Cheeky Monkey provided graphic design services to create a user-friendly economic profile document.

Kelowna, Canada
Tracey Frederickson
Consultant, Central Okanagan Economic Development Commission

The document received excellent feedback from industry planners, consultants, and government officials. Cheeky Monkey exceeded expectations with meticulous time management and open communication.

I am a consultant for the Central Okanagan Economic Development Commission. I’m on contract as a consultant. One of my positions relates to agriculture and what programs and services we can do to enhance our agriculture sector.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cheeky Monkey Media?

We needed a document created with great graphic design. This document would be used both in print and online. I had used an artist years ago who was freelance and I found out he’s the creative director at Cheeky Monkey. The document was called “An Economic Profile for Agriculture in the Central Okanagan”. It’s unique. There aren’t many of these in Canada. It had to be very dynamic, and the graphics needed to suit the content. It had to be visibly dynamic online and user-friendly. We needed to be able to update facts.

We had a good working relationship. I went in knowing what Cheeky Monkey would want and had my copy ready to go. I had some ideas for pictures, but I was open to other ideas. We talked about the format I needed to provide things in. Everything that we expected happened on time and the way it should. It was really pleasant and seamless.

How did you come to work with Cheeky Monkey Media?

I had met them previously through one of my other contract areas at the commission. I thought they were a very innovative, growing company. I knew they were interested in doing more work locally. I approached them and they said that they could do that at the right price.

The project was $2,300.

It was just this project. I put their name forward to bid on our website and other projects, and I have recommended them to other businesses.

I had this document vetted by planners and others who would be critical of it. People from the Ministry of Agriculture looked at it, and the feedback was very good. Once it was online, I was in a think tank planning session and this consultant said she was very aware of my work and that the profile that I’d done was excellent.

How did Cheeky Monkey Media perform from a project management standpoint?

Excellent. It all happened like I thought it would. They’re very good about how they track their time. They went beyond what was expected and were very pleasant to work with.

What did you find most impressive about Cheeky Monkey Media?

The first interview I did was with Gene. When we were talking, I saw how they had their team meetings. I sense the company has a very organized structure and process management system. The way they handle projects, schedule them, and communicate among themselves as well as with the client, shows they seem to be on top of things. I think that’s reflected in the caliber of work they give their clients.

Are there any areas Cheeky Monkey Media could improve?

There really isn’t. It was extremely successful.

Overall Score I think the whole company is good but my main relationship was with Chris.
    I can’t think of anything that could’ve been improved.
    I already have.

Drupal Development for Volunteer Organization

"We’ve always had a project manager we could reach out to who is amazing."

Cheeky Monkey updated and overhauled various web pages for the client. They simplified technical aspects and redesigned the marketing site.

Washington D.C.
Vicky Hush
VP, Engagement & Strategic Partnerships, VolunteerMatch

The client was pleased with the launch of the new site, and retained Cheeky Monkey for additional projects. Cheeky Monkey's work has also contributed to an increase in better leads for the organization.

Volunteer Match is a website that helps connect volunteers and nonprofits online. On average, around 100,000 nonprofits post their volunteer needs on our site every day. We have about 13 million visitors to our site every year. We have corporate services that we license to companies who run employee volunteer programs. I am the Vice President of Strategic Partnerships and engagement. I am in charge of all of the marketing and communications for Volunteer Match.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cheeky Monkey Media?

We have in-house product and engineering teams that focus on our core services and our own website. In 2012, anything that involved outward communication and how we talked about our services was shifted to Drupal. We have been working with independent contractors for a couple of years for those projects. Those contractors were all great, but as soon as they would leave, we would be stuck. We did not totally understand what we needed to do to keep things up to date and a lot of knowledge was lost. Also, they built things in a technical way, which made it difficult for us to go in and make really simple changes. We started looking for some companies that we could bring on for a more consistent relationship. We asked Cheeky Monkey Media to modernize the way our sites were working and then ultimately overhaul some of them. The websites needed to be a lot more modern and match what people expect to see.

When we first started working with Cheeky Monkey Media, our main priority was shifting a lot of the pages and templates over. That would make it a lot easier for our team to make updates and small edits when needed. They had to create the templates and pages in a way that would allow us to go in and duplicate them in a simpler way. That was the first project and seeing how that went, we were really happy with it. Next, we wanted to completely overhaul our corporate marketing site because that hadn’t been touched in a really long time. So, we engaged Cheeky Monkey Media in more web design. We asked for different layouts that they thought could work in Drupal, given what was already on the site. Once we selected an appropriate layout, someone on our product team created the full design. Finally, we sent that over to Cheeky Monkey Media for implementation. That website launched at the beginning of this year, which has been awesome. Since then, we’ve been making small changes to get it exactly the way we wanted it.

How did you come to work with Cheeky Monkey Media?

I had been talking to a couple different groups out in San Francisco, where Volunteer Match is based. I think one of the contractors recommended Cheeky Monkey Media. Somehow I got connected to Gene and I really liked his approach to the relationship. It was very informal. At the time, I was very frustrated with our Drupal experience, but Gene was able to explain things to me. I really appreciated that. They spent time getting to know how we work and how Volunteer Match is a unique model because we’re a nonprofit. At the same time, we’re also a technology company with our own developers, but they don’t really work on the sites that my team works on. Cheeky Monkey Media was patient and understanding, and they really figured out what could bring us on as a client.

How much have you invested with Cheeky Monkey Media?

In the first year, we probably spent around $10,000 with Cheeky Monkey Media. This year, we’re probably closer to $15,000 or $20,000. That’s probably the limit of our budget. We’ll probably spend less next year since we’re done with all these bigger overhauls.

Our next project for Cheeky Monkey Media is a complete overhaul of another section of our site. It’s a learning center where nonprofits go for training. It has not been updated in a long time, and there’s a lot of work to be done before we get a whole new look for it.

I don’t have any metrics right now, but anecdotally, the launch of the new corporate solutions site has been incredible for us. We’ve been really happy with that. Also, Cheeky Monkey Media’s work allowed us to hook into Pardot. As a result, we’ve seen a great decrease in bounce rates and we’ve seen better leads coming through. The updated site is able to surface relevant content to our users in a smarter way, bringing them in as potential leads. I definitely think that the updated and relaunched site by Cheeky Monkey Media has been an important factor.

How did Cheeky Monkey Media perform from a project management standpoint?

Cheeky Monkey Media has been really good in terms of project management. We’ve always had a project manager we could reach out to who is amazing. She would jump on a call and wrangle her team when we needed it. We use Basecamp to document everything and communicate back and forth, and they’ll contact us when they need extra input. They’ll really listen to things that we’re trying to tackle and give suggestions. There was a situation that happened earlier this year, it may have just been a perfect storm. Our main person was out because she had a baby and then someone else was out, so things got strangely quiet from their side. Overall, our experience has been really great. We’ve been realistic with how the relationship with Cheeky Monkey Media will go. It’s a big improvement to the relationships we were having with other Drupal contractors. I was willing to take this call, so obviously I like them enough to be talking about them.

What did you find most impressive about Cheeky Monkey Media?

From my perspective, Cheeky Monkey Media has been really easy to work with. For example, they’ve been flexible with the pricing model for our engagement. We talked about whether we should have a minimum number of projects a month, or just have them wait and see what projects come up. I think they’re a fun group, and that comes through when you’re having conversations with them. They enjoy what they’re doing.

Are there any areas Cheeky Monkey Media could improve?

Cheeky Monkey Media can improve by continuing to improve the communication side of things. It would help to continue to have proactive conversations with clients. It’s important for Cheeky Monkey Media to think about what else they can help us with, instead of waiting for us to reach out to them. We’re probably too reactive when we’re planning the improvements to our site. I get it because we’re a fairly small client of theirs, so it’s a balance.

I think that when we have a project that is due at a certain time, we know that Cheeky Monkey Media will work to meet that deadline. If something for some reason comes up, they’ll let us know in advance.
    I’ve been happy with them for the cost and they’ve been willing to get a little creative. They let me know what’s realistic given our remaining budget and the projects that we’re trying to tackle.
    Cheeky Monkey Media spent a lot of time with us to figure out the right approach. I think they’ve done a really good job.
    I would definitely recommend that folks have a conversation with them Cheeky Monkey Media.

SEO for Moving & Storage Company

"The experience I’ve had with Cheeky Monkey Media has certainly been very pleasant, so that definitely gives me confidence that they can do more."

Cheeky Monkey Media was hired to optimize the client's existing Google AdWords campagin. After initial analysis and strategic development, they successfully lowered the client's cost of acquisition.

Bob Anderson
Marketing Director, BigSteelBox

Cheeky Monkey exceeded the client's expectations, increasing their AdWords profitability by almost double. The client has been pleased with the direct and seamless project management.

Please introduce your business and what you do there.

BigSteelBox is a shipping container company. We rent and sell shipping containers and modified shipping containers. We provide a residential moving and storage business as well as a commercial storage business. I am the Marketing Director.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cheeky Monkey Media?

It was an AdWords specific project. We had had some experiences with another agency and they didn’t pay enough attention to our business or the ROI on AdWords. We were just trying to get the cost down to a more reasonable level where we could actually justify running AdWords so that it would actually make us money.

There was an initial planning phase where they investigated what was happening on the platform—in the AdWords tool and in the analytics tool. After the planning phase, there was a trial period of probably three months or so where we lowered our level of spending just to try to get the cost for acquisition down to a reasonable level. That included strategic development, a review of the existing tools, and the development of landing pages.

We followed that with a trial phase on both the keywords and the landing pages to see how they were performing and converting. We did some testing in terms of what ads converted better and what combination of ads worked with what markets.

We did a few test markets in those three months, then expanded our marketing to our network of locations using a very granular approach. It’s really hard, tedious work. I needed somebody with the brains to figure all that out and just work really hard to get the cost of acquisition down to a reasonable level, which the agency was able to do.

How did you come to work with Cheeky Monkey Media?

Somebody I knew here in Kelowna had started to work with them. I reached out to Cheeky Monkey after that person recommended them to me. I told the agency what we were looking for, and they came up and gave us a proposal. They were able to bring the right person to the project.

How much have you invested with Cheeky Monkey Media?

There are two sides to that. There are the fees that they charged, which would be in the $10,000 to $50,000 range, and then there is the overall size of the buy. When I look at our AdWords, we probably spent over $100,000 on AdWords this year. The agency is managing that budget for us.

Could you share any evidence that would demonstrate the productivity, quality of work or the impact of the engagement?

We’re really in a very competitive business, so I was really just hoping to break even from an ROI perspective; the cost of just acquiring a customer has got to be reasonable. Based on the results so far—and it took a few months to get there—our AdWords are making us money.

It’s a little hard to tell with our current systems exactly what the ROI story is. I can’t follow a lead all the way through; I have to make some assumptions about the revenue that I’m going to get from the customers I’ve acquired through AdWords, which I base on the average value of a particular customer type. Based on that average, the ROI story is I’m probably doubling my money in terms of what’s been spent. Instead of it being a painful experience every time I look at the AdWords conversions, I’m happy.

How did Cheeky Monkey Media perform from a project management standpoint?

They have done well but it is a simple project management experience. I’m really working with one person who does monthly reporting and updating. I can easily get in touch with the agency. I just work directly with their AdWords consultant, so it’s very seamless. They’ve tried to eliminate the errors and inefficiencies.

What did you find most impressive about Cheeky Monkey Media?

The experience I’ve had with Cheeky Monkey Media has certainly been very pleasant, so that definitely gives me confidence that they can do more. They are on top of things and every client seems to represent an opportunity they take very seriously. As I have more needs that come up, I will certainly be inviting them to quote on other projects or provide proposals for other solutions.

Are there any areas Cheeky Monkey Media could improve?

I can’t comment on that, given the limited scope of our involvement with them. But they’ve been pretty proactive. They know what’s going on and where we’re at in terms of our online marketing. I keep them up to date, but it’s really just based on what our own needs are.

SEO for University

"It is comforting to know that when you bring a project to Cheeky Monkey Media, they're already very knowledgeable."

July 2014 - Ongoing

Cheeky Monkey assisted with general site optimization, updates, and improvements. They also designed a mobile homepage, and assist with module integration and troubleshooting.

Orange, California
Diana Santos
Director of Online Marketing, Brandman University

Cheeky Monkey's work has significantly increased the site speed, on-page conversion, and visitor to inquiry ratio metrics. The client appreciated their responsiveness and quick turnaround time.

We are an adult education company that has online and on-site offerings. I'm the Director of Online Marketing.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cheeky Monkey Media?

We constantly have updates to our website. Since we are using the website for conversion, we are mindful of SEO impacts and performance. We have an in-house front-end developer, but for larger products, we partner with Cheeky Monkey Media. They help us optimize the site and implement new changes.

First, Cheeky Monkey Media is helping fix things on our website that weren't set up properly by a different agency. For instance, we have default meta tags that were not displayed correctly on certain pages that are in panels or views. We put that in a ticket for Cheeky Monkey Media and they went in and fixed it. They are cleaning up our initial site build, which wasn't really designed with SEO or mobile in mind.

Cheeky Monkey Media handled other projects for us as well. We needed our mobile homepage optimized, so they came up with the design for that. We don't really use them for design services per se, but as we come up with new solutions, they will come to us with designs. When we want to implement something new, they research what modules are out there. If we need to do a custom solution, they integrate the modules for us and make sure that everything is running efficiently. Cheeky Monkey Media does troubleshooting if our site slows down.

How did you come to work with Cheeky Monkey Media?

We found them through a conference that we attended; they had a booth there. I wasn't at the conference, but one of my co-workers was.

There were several reasons why we chose Cheeky Monkey Media. One, they were a Drupal house, so it was comforting that they had expertise in the system. Two, their price structure is very affordable and very flexible. We usually work with them for 40 hours a month, but once we reach 40, they won’t say, “If you don't do 40 hours, we charge you for 40 hours. And if you go over 40 hours, there's a premium on top of the negotiated rate.” Instead, they're very flexible and say, “We agreed to 40 hours. But if you only do 30 one month and 60 the other month, we're only going to charge you for the hours that we actually do. And it's all going to be at the same rate.” That was different from our relationship with another contractor.

How much have you invested with Cheeky Monkey Media?

We pay Cheeky Monkey Media about $5,000 a month.

We’ve been working with Cheeky Monkey Media for about 2 years.

The site speed has definitely improved since we started to work with Cheeky Monkey Media. Our on-page conversion has also improved, as well as our visitor to inquiry ratio.

How did Cheeky Monkey Media perform from a project management standpoint?

Cheeky Monkey Media is good in terms of project management. We communicate frequently and they're very responsive. Recently, we had a sudden need for a WordPress site that we were trying to migrate. After about a week, our team couldn't get it done. I reached out to Cheeky Monkey Media at the last minute. They were able to get someone to look at it within the hour, and basically had it up and running in 2 hours.

They are very responsive and able to jump in when needed. We used Basecamp to begin with, but they had to update Basecamp every time they updated JIRA. Cheeky Monkey Media gives us direct access to JIRA, which is their ticketing system. This lets us submit tickets and see their progress on the tickets. We can just see everything that's going on, so it's working really well.

What did you find most impressive about Cheeky Monkey Media?

We were really impressed with their knowledge of Drupal. It is comforting to know that when you bring a project to Cheeky Monkey Media, they're already very knowledgeable. If they’re not familiar with the issue, they'll do research about it. You don't feel like there is a better solution. I can trust what they're telling me. I know that Cheeky Monkey Media has gained the respect of even our internal IT team.

Are there any areas Cheeky Monkey Media could improve?

Cheeky Monkey Media could improve their scheduling. It needs to be a little tighter in order to give clients a little more time to review all the changes. For example, if a sprint is going to push through, all the changes should be up 2 or 3 days before that. That way, we have time to review and make tweaks. Usually, it just seems like it's crunch time during sprints since the changes are up the day before we plan to push. If we find anything wrong, we have to delay the push.

Wordpress Development for IT Company

"We got great value for our money with Cheeky Monkey Media."

Cheeky Monkey designed an updated website that better reflected the client's business. They continue to provide customer service and assist with site updates and improvements.

Denny Thompson
Co-Owner, Trenchant Business Evolution

The website has received positive feedback from users and associates. The client has seen increased traffic from Cheeky Monkey's recommendation to add a blog, and appreciates the continued communication and support.

Trenchant Business Evolution helps implement EOS [Entrepreneurial Operating Systems] for businesses. I am one of the founders.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cheeky Monkey Media?

We’re now in our third year and we thought it was time for us to have our website done professionally. We originally developed the company website ourselves, but neither of us are website designers. The website became old fairly quickly, within the first couple of years or so. We needed something that was updated, professional looking, and that really showed who we are.

First, we met with Cheeky Monkey Media and discussed who we are, what our business is about, and our core values. Cheeky Monkey Media looked at our old site and our Facebook page. We identified the things that we wanted to portray, our color schemes, etc. To get an idea of what we wanted, they showed us several options based on WordPress templates. We told them the things we wanted to keep and asked for their input. We gave them a lot of creative freedom. It was very collaborative and a great way to work.

How did you come to work with Cheeky Monkey Media?

To make a long story short, we were introduced to Cheeky Money Media through a mutual connection through business. When we knew we wanted to move forward with the website, we talked to them about it. They gave us an idea of what Cheeky Monkey Media is about and how they operate. He also showed us some samples based on our budget and we just liked the idea and feel of it. We didn’t have to move forward until we met with the team, and we were happy with that as well.

How much have you invested with Cheeky Monkey Media?

We spent a little under $10,000 with Cheeky Money Media.

We’re still in communication with Cheeky Money Media. If I have any questions or if I’m a little lost with the website, they’re happy to answer the questions quickly. Since we have administration rights to the WordPress site, we can make small changes ourselves. If we ever want to do something bigger that is beyond our ability, we would engage them again to do the work for us.

I can’t put hard numbers or metrics at this time. Based on verbal feedback from associates and various other people that knew about this, they really liked it. They liked the rebranding since we changed our name at the same time. It was a big change that we went through, and everybody has given us great feedback. We launched around the time we did a trade show, and people that met us at the time were all very positive.

Cheeky Monkey Media really encouraged us to start a blog to increase our traffic and SEO. We’ve only written a couple of entries but we noticed that our numbers increased after each post. That blog has helped us and it was a direct result of Cheeky Monkey Media’s suggestion.

How did Cheeky Monkey Media perform from a project management standpoint?

Cheeky Monkey Media performed well from a project management standpoint. We used Basecamp and there was open communication. We were kept up to date when things were done and received feedback, which we really liked. They made one little mistake, but as soon as I brought it to their attention, they fixed it immediately. We were happy with it.

What did you find most impressive about Cheeky Monkey Media?

We felt that we got great value for our money with Cheeky Monkey Media. It wasn’t just the actual website that we felt we had that value from. We appreciated the interaction with the team at Cheeky Monkey and we got value from the ongoing connection that we have with them. They are very engaged with their clients during and after the project is the done. They regularly ask us if there’s anything that they can do if we have any questions, and how are things going. They’re very easygoing, and again, it suits who we are as a business.

Are there any areas Cheeky Monkey Media could improve?

I would’ve liked to see the project plan and I knew they had one laid out. Since I am also a project manager, I like to see schedules and various things like that. It’s a bit nitpicky and I never actually brought it up with them. I had a lot of faith in them, so I didn’t push it.

There was some miscommunication on both sides and a couple of little things were missed. One timeline that we really wanted to hit got missed, but it wasn’t a huge deal. We worked around it. We wish that had gone a little bit better, but still good.
    We got great value with our beautiful new website. They were collaborative, we had direction and input, and they listened to what we had to say, so it was a good experience.
    We’re really quite happy with the service.
    We have already recommended Cheeky Monkey Media.

App Development for Social Media Platform

"[Cheeky Monkey] wasn't telling us what we wanted; [they were] helping us understand what we needed."

Cheeky Monkey developed a business review app that was designed for social media platforms.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Patrick Davies
CEO, URated

The client appreciated the company's weekly meetings, forward planning, and clear communication of tasks. The project had no issues.

We're a new tech startup. We do an app-based program that advertises businesses who sell any kind of product.

I am the CEO.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Cheeky Monkey Media?

We needed to develop an application for iOS and Android.

The app that we needed them to build is a social media platform, and it's based on video reviews. When we approached them, our whole process was to be able to sit down with the team and be able to take us from this concept we had and make it into a reality.

How did you come to work with Cheeky Monkey Media?

I've known Gene [Bernier, cofounder of Cheeky Monkey Media] for several years. When he decided to start Cheeky Monkey, that was a big plus because he has so much talent. He has some incredibly talented people working with him. The fact that they were local and that Gene was a part of it were the main reasons.

Each phase had a different price tag with the original being less than $10,000. The cost increased for the next phase. Gene and his team made it easier.

All the projects have been completed. We've moved our product in-house.

How did Cheeky Monkey Media perform from a project management standpoint?

Cheeky Monkey Media did a good job. We had our meetings once a week to be updated on the progress and what was coming up the next week. They also let us know what we had to do on our end to be able to get the information back to them so they could complete their tasks in a timely fashion and keep the project moving forward.

What distinguishes Cheeky Monkey Media from other providers?

We talked to other organizations to see about producing our product. We liked Gene because he understood. I had a close relationship with an owner of another company, and we walked away from that one to come to Gene's company because Gene understood it better. He wasn't telling us what we wanted. He was helping us understand what we needed.

Is there anything Cheeky Monkey Media could have improved or done differently?

No. It was 100 percent. We never had a problem. It was always great and still is today.

Overall Score I would’ve liked to have done more with them.
    We could always count on them being there, being ready to go, and have whatever we needed at the time prepared.
    It was good. Compared with other companies, we received a better product for a more reasonable price.
    They were more than attentive to making sure that not only were we happy, but that our needs were being met throughout the whole process.
    I have several times.

Web App Development for Railway Company

"Cheeky Monkey consistently meets their commitments."

Cheeky Monkey developed an online safety management application. They built the framework and multiple wireframes for the modular system.

Edmonton, Canada
Joe Bracken
President, The Canadian Heartland Training Railway

The company has been commended for their project management and routine communication. The project is still in progress, but remains on schedule and within budget.

My company is Canadian Heartland Training Railway Services, a railway training company. We support industrial railways and short line railways with operations management consulting and operations training.

I am the president of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Cheeky Monkey Media?

We were trying to develop an online application to support safety management for industrial railways and short lines.

They helped develop a web application for us. Cheeky Monkey Media developed the framework and some wireframes. It's a modular system composed of 13 modules that is meant to provide a planning tool and then an execution.

How did you come to work with Cheeky Monkey Media?

We found them through the company that is hosting our website. They had a past relationship with them. When they looked at the size of this development project, they thought they'd be a good fit. We talked on the phone, and they gave us some quotes and everything fit our parameters.

It was $75,000.

We're still in progress.

We haven't finished the project yet, but I am very happy with the progress they have made.

How did Cheeky Monkey Media perform from a project management standpoint?

Project management has been excellent. Cheeky Monkey laid out a plan for me in the beginning, and we have weekly meetings to take care of everything. In those meetings, we discuss progress and any changes we need to make.

What distinguishes Cheeky Monkey Media from other providers?

I don't have much experience with this but I'm very pleased. Cheeky Monkey consistently meets their commitments and communication has been excellent. I can tell that they are very competent in what they do.

Is there anything Cheeky Monkey Media could have improved or done differently?

I don't think so. They've done a very good job working with us.

Overall Score Communication has been excellent and everything is happening as they said they would.
    We're on schedule at this point.
    We're on budget.
    We're not finished yet and haven't done any testing. The progress we've made is looking good. I'm very pleased so far.
    If I knew anybody that had a similar project, I would not hesitate.