Where creativity meets technology

We are an award-winning Australian game development studio creating Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, and Mobile Apps for brands such as Samsung, eBay, and the University of Sydney.

• Our multi-disciplinary team of programmers, artists, designers, and managers is fully equipped to help with all stages of your project, collaborating with subject matter experts to create effective tools.
  • Our design approach is outcomes-oriented, focusing on market research, rapid prototyping, and iterative design to find the most pragmatic solution.
  • We are comfortable working within a larger team or as an independent entity, on-site or remote.
  • Following an agile development approach, so you have a new build to test every 2 weeks.

Get in touch to find out how games, gamification, and emerging tech can help solve your business needs.

Our services have been used by some of Australia's leading Marketing Agencies, Universities, and Corporations, winning numerous awards for their outstanding quality and innovative approach.

• Excellence in Corporate Communications Award, Communique Awards 2017: In Their Shoes.
  • Best Serious Game at the Australian Game Developer Awards 2019: Bleached Az.
  • Silver VR Experience at the Australian Effects and Animation Festival 2019: Winter Wayfinder.
  • Expert Panel Choice Award, SKINPACT Awards 2017: Rash Decisions

Sydney, Australia

Traffik Group / Clemenger, AFK Agency, University of Sydney, University of New South Wales, and Macquarie University

Rash Decisions Image

Rash Decisions

Rash Decisions is a gamified learning app that combines visual learning, targeted questions, and role-playing mechanics to teach dermatological course content to medical students in an engaging and effective new way.

The player takes on the persona of a practicing professional, analyzing fictional patients by looking at real-world photography, diagnosing conditions, and learning how to save lives.

Rainbow Reef Image

Rainbow Reef

Rainbow Reef is a bubbly gardening game where you nurture your very own marine ecosystem – inspired by the current state of the Great Barrier Reef.

Using the sunlight collected by your corals, you can sculpt your very own reef into a tropical paradise. If your reef is growing swimmingly, you will attract all kinds of unique sea creatures. If they are sufficiently impressed, they might even choose your reef as their

new home!
M&M'S Take Home The Fun Image

M&M'S Take Home The Fun

In collaboration with Traffik, we designed an immersive and cutting-edge brand activation for our favourite milk chocolate snack.

Combining our game development expertise and the latest augmented reality technology, we created M&M's Take Home the Fun: an entertaining and engaging AR app where players whack the virtual piñata for a chance to win

prizes.

Results

• Over 12,000 Game Sessions from highly engaged Australian players during the 6-week campaign.
  • More than 6,600 Barcodes redeemed from a wide range of M&M's products.
  • A record-breaking 49,000 Pinatas Broken and 521,000 Pinata Hits.

Partner Projects for Game Development Company

“The quality of Chaos Theory’s work is truly amazing.”

2017 - Ongoing

Chaos Theory worked in conjunction with the client to produce several mobile games. Their team utilizes 3D unity to create io and hyper-casual game applications.

Sydney, Australia
CEO, Lazy Giant Games

One of the apps to come out of the collaboration boasts 20,000 downloads and a high app-store rating. Chaos Theory’s work never disappoints; their speed, not to mention the quality of their products, are phenomenal. They’ll continue to be an invaluable partner that the client can rely on.

I’m the director of Lazy Giant Games and the former director of ElApps. We were a builder of mobile app games that entered the market at the start of 2017.

What challenge were you trying to address with Chaos Theory?

I initially approached Chaos Theory to build a mobile word game. Since then, we’ve produced several game apps together.

I approached Chaos Theory with my idea, and they gave me their own sights. They produced a document that outlined their execution plan, and we decided to roll with it. They’ve continued to partner with me to produce several mobile games. We use Unity 3D as our primary engine to create the games.

My main points of contact were Nico (Executive Director, Chaos Theory Games) and James (Managing Director, Chaos Theory Games), but I suspect the entire team consisted of 6–10 people.

How did you come to work with Chaos Theory?

I’d originally worked with overseas developers who provided services at a much lower cost but had quickly become unsatisfied with the poor quality of their work. I decided to look for local developers in Sydney.

I found a college for developers and attended an open day at this school. I spoke to a veteran teacher there who suggested three companies. Chaos Theory was among them, so I reached out and spoke to James over the phone.

I’ve spent around $90,000 so far.

I engaged them in January 2017, and it’s an ongoing partnership.

The quality of Chaos Theory’s work is truly amazing. One of our apps—called Owls and Vowels—boasts 20,000 downloads and a 4.7-star starting. In addition to their technical know-how, their prompt delivery is also stellar. They hold themselves to a very high standard to ensure the best quality.

How did perform from a project management standpoint?

They always abided by their deadlines to deliver on time. They stuck with all their promises; they never compromised quality or took shortcuts. I have nothing but positive feedback in that respect.

I found their professionalism, their willingness to help, and the quality of their work to all be distinguishing factors. I’ve worked with several other developers, but Chaos Theory blows them out of the water.

While it’s a very minor issue, I’m impatient sometimes and am looking for an instant email response. In the light of demanding requirements, I’d appreciate that, but other than that the engagement has been perfect.

Engage them. Give them all your ideas, even if you think they’re silly. They’ll have a way to make it happen.