The Visual Effects Favorite

We are a Digital Imaging and Content Creation Boutique. We're more than video; we incorporate a plethora of imaging tools including (but not limited to) 3D scanning, photogrammetry, physics simulations, and computational photography. We specialize in visual effects (vfx) and use the same software & tools used to create Hollywood blockbusters.

Conveniently located between LA and NY in the Denver Metro area, our clients include independent feature films, high-end corporate communications and marketing, episodic television and commercials. We’re a small team. We’re specialized, flexible, and maneuverable; being small has its advantages. Since 2013 The Chalk has contributed over 2000 visual effects shots to 7 independently produced feature films.

Aurora, CO
  • 11885 e Carolina pl.
    Aurora, CO 80012

YOYO Image

YOYO

Digital matte painting & composting

Visual Effects for Film Production Company

“He’s great at explaining what he needs from clients and what clients can expect from him.”

The Chalk vfx helped a production company implement visual effects in a short film. The work included digital matte painting and CGI using Nuke.

Phoenix, Arizona
Owner, Geminii Films

The visual effects were seamlessly integrated into the final film that showed in 24 film festivals around the globe and won several awards. Communication was always smooth, with the understanding that The Chalk vfx could jump in at any point in the production cycle to achieve the director’s vision.

I run a production company called Geminii Films. I write, direct, produce, and edit.

What challenge were you trying to address with The Chalk vfx?

I was shooting a short film and knew I’d need some help with visual effect shots.

Thomas (Owner & Operator, The Chalk vfx) has helped me with several projects at this point. He’s a cinematographer, colorist, editor, visual effects artists, etc. In the past, with his understanding of the production cycle, he’s been able to jump in at any point of the process. For this film, in particular, he used Nuke and several other software to construct visual effects including a capsized ship and helicopters.

Thomas handles everything in our collaborations.

How did you come to work with The Chalk vfx?

I originally found his profile on the Stage 32 network, read through his bio, and reached out. From there, he sent over his portfolio, which had a lot of digital matte painting. I explained what I wanted to do, and he thought he could handle it.

We spent under $10,000 on his services.

The first time we worked together was around 2014, and his part of post-production only took a few months.

The final film was screened in 24 film festivals in three continents. I won a best film award, my sound designer won a few awards, and we received many nominations across the board. While we didn’t win an award specifically for visual effects, Thomas integrated them so seamlessly into the film that people likely weren’t aware they were fabricated. The digital matte painting and CGI blended in so well that everything looked completely convincing to audiences.

How did The Chalk vfx perform from a project management standpoint?

He’s easily accessible over text, call, and email. In addition to his responsiveness, he’s great at explaining what he needs from clients and what clients can expect from him.

Like I said before, he’s multi-talented and able to assist with production at any point in the process. I’ve worked with him on shoots, editing, color, effects, etc. Whether you’re well into the project and just need special effects or just starting out and require help visualizing shots or effects, it’s easy to work with him.

There isn’t anything from my perspective. In this industry, everything’s pretty subjective, but I’m happy with everything he did.

He never missed a deadline.
    He’s great about finding solid alternatives that work for tighter budgets.